PDA

View Full Version : Romo/Garrett and a question

SoCalDukeFan
03-09-2014, 09:28 PM
I had no idea Tony Romo and Jason Garrett were such big Duke fans. Not sure of the connection.

I am from Philly and actually hate the Cowboys. Maybe I will hate them a little less.

Are there NCAA rules about celebrities and recruits? Were they sitting near the recruits?

Dick

Atlanta Duke
03-09-2014, 09:40 PM
I had no idea Tony Romo and Jason Garrett were such big Duke fans. Not sure of the connection.

I am from Philly and actually hate the Cowboys. Maybe I will hate them a little less.

Are there NCAA rules about celebrities and recruits? Were they sitting near the recruits?

Dick

They were in Durham for Romo to train with Coach Cut

Romo, who was seen at Cameron Indoor Stadium with coach Jason Garrett for Duke’s victory against North Carolina Saturday night, is training with Manning’s old quarterbacks coach at Tennessee and current Blue Devil head coach David Cutcliffe.

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/03/09/tony-romo-dallas-cowboys-david-cutcliffe-duke/

Who knew Duke's affiliation with high profile pro athletes might have as much of a potential recruiting advantage in football as basketball;)

gep
03-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Dave Cutcliffe should get a "lifetime" contract just like Coach K. In his short time at Duke, he's as good an ambassador for Duke as anyone.:cool:

brevity
03-09-2014, 09:49 PM

Dick

Incredibly appropriate question. Back in 2010 the University of Iowa self-reported (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5748959) 2 basketball recruits meeting Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore at an Iowa football game. (Fun fact: one of the recruits was Marcus Paige.) The main differences, as far as I can tell, was that the meeting was more than incidental -- it took place in a stadium suite -- and that Kutcher is recognized and identified as a Hawkeyes fan.

I don't know where the Cowboys sat in relation to the recruits for Saturday's game, but they did interact (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilNation/status/442719607472656384/). I have no idea if this is considered incidental, or if Jason Garrett can be considered to represent Duke's athletic interests. The Duke polo shirt doesn't help.

Atlanta Duke
03-09-2014, 09:51 PM

Brevity's post got there first - sorry for the duplicate post

On the celebrity issue (could not edit my prior post for some reason) it apparently depends on whether the celebrity somehow has an affiliation with the school

Iowa ran into trouble a few years ago for setting up a meeting between recruits and Iowa native/donor Ashton Kucher

NCAA rules prohibit potential high school recruits from having any contact with individuals considered to represent a university's athletic interests because of the potential influence boosters can have on the recruiting process.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/bigten/2010-10-31-iowa-ncaa-violations-kutcher-moore_N.htm

Having a recruit sit near celebs in the stands with no ties to Duke would seem to be a reach for a violation

WiJoe
03-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Brevity's post got there first - sorry for the duplicate post

On the celebrity issue (could not edit my prior post for some reason) it apparently depends on whether the celebrity somehow has an affiliation with the school

Iowa ran into trouble a few years ago for setting up a meeting between recruits and Iowa native/donor Ashton Kucher

NCAA rules prohibit potential high school recruits from having any contact with individuals considered to represent a university's athletic interests because of the potential influence boosters can have on the recruiting process.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/bigten/2010-10-31-iowa-ncaa-violations-kutcher-moore_N.htm

Having a recruit sit near celebs in the stands with no ties to Duke would seem to be a reach for a violation
maybe "potential" is the key word in this case.

AncientPsychicT
03-09-2014, 10:31 PM
Were they sitting near the recruits?

Romo and Garrett were sitting right next to Jahlil Okafor and his family. The non-committed recruits were sitting (at least, initially) on the other side of the Okafors.

-jk
03-09-2014, 11:38 PM
There's only so much space behind the bench... I'm not too worried about this one. (Have you ever sat back there? Not exactly luxury box accommodations.)

-jk

Dukehky
03-09-2014, 11:50 PM
There's only so much space behind the bench... I'm not too worried about this one. (Have you ever sat back there? Not exactly luxury box accommodations.)

-jk

I've sat behind the bench for women's games before, and it is unpleasant. No room for anything, especially if you were over 6 feet tall. Personally, I'm partial to sitting upstairs...

Turk
03-10-2014, 12:08 AM
Call me a grouch, but Romo and Garrett have no business behind the bench. They are football guys with NO connection to Duke basketball. Plus I hate the Cowboys. Every year the unc game at Cameron becomes more and more like a mini dress rehearsal from the ESPYs. Let the celebrities go see the game at the Dean Dome - they have more seats to waste over there for wannabes looking to cross Duke / unc off their bucket list. And I aspire to be an equal opportunity snob - I would have the same reaction if Roethlisberger or Andrew McCutcheon were sitting down there. Don't really care that "they were really good players in high school and coulda played in college if they wanted."

Preferential seating should be given to former players, managers, and parents. If Coach Cut wants to bring some friends to see the game, find some tickets upstairs with the Crusties, or up in the crow's nest with Coach Vitale, Bilastrator, and the rest of the announcers. If they want to see the game, fine. I just don't want to see them every time they cut away for a commercial. (unless of course they earn their stripes by attending the Virginia Tech or East Carolina games.)

Edouble
03-10-2014, 12:25 AM
Call me a grouch, but Romo and Garrett have no business behind the bench. They are football guys with NO connection to Duke basketball. Plus I hate the Cowboys. Every year the unc game at Cameron becomes more and more like a mini dress rehearsal from the ESPYs. Let the celebrities go see the game at the Dean Dome - they have more seats to waste over there for wannabes looking to cross Duke / unc off their bucket list. And I aspire to be an equal opportunity snob - I would have the same reaction if Roethlisberger or Andrew McCutcheon were sitting down there. Don't really care that "they were really good players in high school and coulda played in college if they wanted."

Preferential seating should be given to former players, managers, and parents. If Coach Cut wants to bring some friends to see the game, find some tickets upstairs with the Crusties, or up in the crow's nest with Coach Vitale, Bilastrator, and the rest of the announcers. If they want to see the game, fine. I just don't want to see them every time they cut away for a commercial. (unless of course they earn their stripes by attending the Virginia Tech or East Carolina games.)

Look you grouch, I have no problem with the quarterback of America's team gushing on and on about Coach K after a game. We get enough hating on the Blue Devils as it is. If a big sports celeb wants to sit behind Duke's bench and sing our praises after the game, I'm all for it. So what if he plays football? Donald Trump, Tom Wolfe, and the guy who played Urkel on Family Matters didn't have the strongest ties to Duke basketball either and they all got tickets!

I seriously doubt Romo and Garrett were taking up Grant Hill and Chris Duhon's tickets. For what it's worth, I would rather have Romo behind Duke's bench than say, Jay "What's not to love about Carolina" Williams for the big game.

And every time they did cut away for a commerical, ESPN didn't just show Tony Romo... they showed Tony Romo cheering and celebrating a great play by Duke louder than anyone else around him. If he's a vocal celeb fan I'm all for it!

mkirsh
03-10-2014, 12:36 AM
the guy who played Urkel on Family Matters

Wasn't he childhood friends with Ricky Price?

Edouble
03-10-2014, 01:21 AM
Wasn't he childhood friends with Ricky Price?

I don't know... are you sure you aren't confusing Urkel with Toby Bailey?

Steven43
03-10-2014, 02:03 AM

I think Tony Romo and Jason Garrett represented America's Team quite well, thank you. I'm also very happy to have them cheer for America's favorite basketball team. Dallas and Duke go together well. Besides, it can only help to further expand our presence with Texas high school basketball.

Oriole Way
03-10-2014, 03:11 AM
Look you grouch, I have no problem with the quarterback of America's team gushing on and on about Coach K after a game. We get enough hating on the Blue Devils as it is. If a big sports celeb wants to sit behind Duke's bench and sing our praises after the game, I'm all for it. So what if he plays football? Donald Trump, Tom Wolfe, and the guy who played Urkel on Family Matters didn't have the strongest ties to Duke basketball either and they all got tickets!

I seriously doubt Romo and Garrett were taking up Grant Hill and Chris Duhon's tickets. For what it's worth, I would rather have Romo behind Duke's bench than say, Jay "What's not to love about Carolina" Williams for the big game.

And every time they did cut away for a commerical, ESPN didn't just show Tony Romo... they showed Tony Romo cheering and celebrating a great play by Duke louder than anyone else around him. If he's a vocal celeb fan I'm all for it!

I agree with you. Cut is the freaking head football coach. If he wants to hook up friends of his, in this case who happen to be a high profile NFL player and coach, I have absolutely no problem with it. Seats in Cameron are at the discretion of the university to allocate, as long as done so within NCAA rules. Cutcliffe providing tickets for Romo and Garrett I'm sure falls within that.

And not to nitpick too much, but Tom Wolfe's daughter went to Duke. So he does have a strong tie to the university.

kAzE
03-10-2014, 03:34 AM
I'm a huge Cowboys and Romo fan (not much of a Garrett or Jerry Jones guy though), so this was pretty awesome to me. Jahlil probably got a kick when he found Romo sitting next to him courtside. There's definitely no rules violations there, considering they were both just fans (albeit very high profile fans), and Jahlil has already committed. It seemed to me they pulled their weight too, standing up and cheering just as hard as anyone in the crowd. It's pretty awesome to see a couple of guys from one of the biggest sports franchises in the world in our little gym cheering on our players. Don't hate.

NashvilleDevil
03-10-2014, 06:39 AM

Lighten up Oscar. It's fun to see who's gonna show up at Cameron for the Duke/Carolina game.

lotusland
03-10-2014, 07:17 AM
I agree with you. Cut is the freaking head football coach. If he wants to hook up friends of his, in this case who happen to be a high profile NFL player and coach, I have absolutely no problem with it. Seats in Cameron are at the discretion of the university to allocate, as long as done so within NCAA rules. Cutcliffe providing tickets for Romo and Garrett I'm sure falls within that.

And not to nitpick too much, but Tom Wolfe's daughter went to Duke. So he does have a strong tie to the university.

I think the other "Tom" Wolfe attended UNC before Harvard - O lost!

jv001
03-10-2014, 07:21 AM

I would be really happy to see Cam Newton(Panthers) and Allen Craig(St. Louis Cardinals) behind the Duke bench. I've not had a lot of love for the Cowboys over the years, but the Cowboys are like the Yankees and Blue Devils, in that they have been great teams over the years. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
03-10-2014, 08:27 AM
Jabari said it was cool that they came to watch. So there's that.

And it's good pub for the football team too.

Win-win. And I dislike the Cowboys.

Lid
03-10-2014, 08:40 AM
... the guy who played Urkel on Family Matters ...

Fun fact -- Urkel attended Duke basketball camp in the early 90's. I worked at another camp on West and he was regularly sighted in the dining hall.

So, all of the rest of you who also attended basketball camp could probably get behind-the-bench tickets, too. I assume.

brandon990
03-10-2014, 09:23 AM
My first thoughts upon seeing Garrett and Romo were "Isn't Myles Turner at the game?" and "Isn't he from the Dallas area?". Adds a little bit more to the coincidence. I think it's great they were there and in Duke golf shirts. Reports here in Dallas mentioned Garrett's meeting with Coach K but didn't reference Romo working with Cut.

duke79
03-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Yea, I watched the ESPN interview with Tony Romo after the game. He seemed genuinely thrilled to be at the game and he was commenting on the amazing atmosphere inside CIS. He also mentioned how he couldn't help but notice, right from the first time entering the stadium, that everything about Coach K and Duke was "winning."

Turk
03-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Yea, I watched the ESPN interview with Tony Romo after the game. He seemed genuinely thrilled to be at the game and he was commenting on the amazing atmosphere inside CIS. He also mentioned how he couldn't help but notice, right from the first time entering the stadium, that everything about Coach K and Duke was "winning."

How would Romo know? He couldn't recognize "winning" if it came up and dope-slapped him in the back of the head.

Turk
03-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Look you grouch, I have no problem with the quarterback of America's team gushing on and on about Coach K after a game.

Wait, Roethlisberger was there? I guess I missed that... OK, OK. I had my coffee. Thanks Mr. Romo for your support of Blue Devil athletics.

Atlanta Duke
03-10-2014, 11:08 AM
This from SI writer Peter King this morning in his MMQB column

Jealous of those NFLers who saw Duke-Carolina at Cameron Indoor on Saturday night. That’s a bucket list event for me—in Durham.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/10/nfl-free-agency-monday-morning-qb/3/

OldPhiKap
03-10-2014, 03:35 PM

How would Romo know? He couldn't recognize "winning" if it came up and dope-slapped him in the back of the head.

Maybe it was the tiger blood.

Newton_14
03-10-2014, 08:35 PM
I hate the Cowboys.

You could have just stopped right there.:D

Look, I have been a die hard Cowboys fan since age 4. Growing up here all we got on Sunday's back then was Redskin Football. I hated the Skins so naturally I sided with the Cowboys. NC did not have a team so folks can call me bandwagon fan all day, I don't care. I once won a contest in 4th grade where the assignment was to name as many players on your favorite NFL team as possible. Every kid in the class was either naming Cowboys or Redskins. I named every starter on both sides of the ball along with the punter and placekicker. (Yeah I know, give me a cookie)

Back to the point. Had that been RGIII behind the bench wearing Duke Blue and cheering like crazy, I would have been all for it and thought it cool. While I disagree with my witty friend Brevity that it is a NCAA gray area (unless they actively recruited any of the recruits, there is no violation) it certainly can help with recruiting whether they interacted with any of them or not. I am darn glad the celeb's choose to make the Cameron game their bucket list item, rather than the Snooze Dome. That is great publicity not only for our Hoops program but also for our rising Football program. Are you kidding me? Coach Cut now mentoring outside of the Manning Family? That is great for Duke!

I just see that as a huge huge plus. Billy Tubbs? Switzer? Goodell? That is awesome pub for both Duke revenue programs. It also keeps Duke in the "Cool" category, while keeping unc-cheat in the "not as cool" category.

If nothing else, love it because it has to drive Ol Roy insane that those guys choose to attend the Cameron game and not the Dome game.

FerryFor50
03-10-2014, 08:38 PM
If nothing else, love it because it has to drive Ol Roy insane that those guys choose to attend the Cameron game and not the Dome game.

Roy would have just had them removed for cheering too loud.

hurleyfor3
03-10-2014, 08:44 PM
Wait, why can't *we* have Demi Moore at our games? Nevermind strike that, she has a thing for younger men, she might not be there for the basketball.

I just hope we can return the favor by showing up in Dallas in a few weeks.

FerryFor50
03-10-2014, 08:51 PM
Wait, why can't *we* have Demi Moore at our games? Nevermind strike that, she has a thing for younger men, she might not be there for the basketball.

Be thankful we don't get Ashley Judd.

Newton_14
03-10-2014, 09:39 PM

I am all about some Demi Moore so by all means get her a ticket!

Hey hey, no Ashley J hating allowed here mister! I don't care that she went to UK, she can sit behind our bench anytime she wants!

moonpie23
03-10-2014, 09:43 PM

i'd have ashley judd at the games......
:cool:

hurleyfor3
03-10-2014, 09:45 PM
I am all about some Demi Moore so by all means get her a ticket!

Nah, Cameron has enough artificially inflated objects bouncing around already.

Acymetric
03-10-2014, 10:37 PM
Am I the only person that saw the ESPN segment (not postgame interview) with Romo? It wasn't long, but made it sound like they were there to observe/talk to K. Suspect it was a leadership training trip, although I wouldn't be surprised if they paid Cut a token visit as well.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-10-2014, 10:39 PM
Am I the only person that saw the ESPN segment (not postgame interview) with Romo? It wasn't long, but made it sound like they were there to observe/talk to K. Suspect it was a leadership training trip, although I wouldn't be surprised if they paid Cut a token visit as well.
No, you are not the only one who ran across this information.

Turk
03-11-2014, 07:20 AM
You could have just stopped right there.:D

Look, I have been a die hard Cowboys fan since age 4. Growing up here all we got on Sunday's back then was Redskin Football. I hated the Skins so naturally I sided with the Cowboys. NC did not have a team so folks can call me bandwagon fan all day, I don't care. I once won a contest in 4th grade where the assignment was to name as many players on your favorite NFL team as possible. Every kid in the class was either naming Cowboys or Redskins. I named every starter on both sides of the ball along with the punter and placekicker. (Yeah I know, give me a cookie)

Back to the point. Had that been RGIII behind the bench wearing Duke Blue and cheering like crazy, I would have been all for it and thought it cool. While I disagree with my witty friend Brevity that it is a NCAA gray area (unless they actively recruited any of the recruits, there is no violation) it certainly can help with recruiting whether they interacted with any of them or not. I am darn glad the celeb's choose to make the Cameron game their bucket list item, rather than the Snooze Dome. That is great publicity not only for our Hoops program but also for our rising Football program. Are you kidding me? Coach Cut now mentoring outside of the Manning Family? That is great for Duke!

I just see that as a huge huge plus. Billy Tubbs? Switzer? Goodell? That is awesome pub for both Duke revenue programs. It also keeps Duke in the "Cool" category, while keeping unc-cheat in the "not as cool" category.

Pfft. In Pittsburgh, they don't even let you INTO 4th grade unless you know all the starters (plus where they went to college). Even the nuns knew the roster.

Alright, I'll mellow a bit on the celebs, and I couldn't care less about NCAA stupidity over imaginary "violations" about who shows up at a game or where they sit. I do like the point about driving Ol Roy nuts. Not so much name dropping over in the Snooze Dome a few weeks back, was there?

However, I do think we need to draw the line somewhere. I'll concede the Coach Cut disciples and Emperor Goodell, but there is no way Billy Tubbs and Barry "How did that gun get there?" Switzer make the list. Who's next, Joe Namath and his fur coat? How about a velvet rope and a bouncer with a clipboard for the VIP section?

flyingdutchdevil
03-11-2014, 11:09 AM
i'd have ashley judd at the games......
:cool:

Seconded. Big fan here.

Just watched a bunch of here mid-90s movies on Netflix this past month. My lord she was cute!

FerryFor50
03-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Seconded. Big fan here.

Just watched a bunch of here mid-90s movies on Netflix this past month. My lord she was cute!

"Was" is the operative word. ;)

But my beef with her is how big of a Kentucky fan she is.

flyingdutchdevil
03-11-2014, 11:25 AM
"Was" is the operative word. ;)

But my beef with her is how big of a Kentucky fan she is.

But your comment was "Be thankful we don't get Ashley Judd."

If we had Ashley Judd, that would make her a Duke fan. And she's cute. That's a double win.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-11-2014, 11:26 AM
I'd rather see Rob Lowe.

flyingdutchdevil
03-11-2014, 11:27 AM
I'd rather see Rob Lowe.

Over The Boss?

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Over The Boss?
My statement was clear and direct, reflecting the theme of eye candy.

flyingdutchdevil
03-11-2014, 12:11 PM
My statement was clear and direct, reflecting the theme of eye candy.

Touche.

Edouble
03-11-2014, 12:59 PM
If we had Ashley Judd, that would make her a Duke fan. And she's cute.

That ship has sailed.

Indoor66
03-11-2014, 02:09 PM
That ship has sailed.

Actually, I think the ship sank - a few times by now....

cf-62
03-11-2014, 11:15 PM
I don't know what's worse - the idiots at InsideCarolina talking about ripping up their Cowboys pennants because Romo is a Duke fan, or posters here claiming that Duke has no business inviting Tony Romo to a game. GROW UP!

Do you not realize how stupid you sound being a Duke fan railing on somebody for the sole reason that they play for the cowboys?

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-11-2014, 11:33 PM
I think it's marvelous that this visit seemed to incorporate consults with two outstanding Duke coaches. Both Coach K and Coach Cutcliffe are nationally known for their expertise in leadership and strategies for winning. The consult part is even bigger than being on campus to attend the basketball game.

Duke has a very competent compliance office. Let's not spoil this delightful visit and priceless publicity by over thinking whether the compliance officers were doing their jobs.