PDA

View Full Version : MBB: 2014 ACC Tournament

Pages : [1] 2

hurleyfor3
03-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Bracket has been set. Discuss here.

http://www.theacc.com/#!/page/championship_m-baskbl

What follows is the easiest way for me to conceive it. In chronological order:

12 Wake/13 ND --> winner gets 5 Pitt (call this Game B)
10 UMiami/15 VPI --> winner gets 7 NCSU (Game C)
11 GIT/14 BC --> winner gets 6 Clemson (Game D)

8 Maryland/9 FSU is the other Thursday game (Game A)

UVa gets Game A winner
unc gets Game B winner
Cuse gets Game C winner
we get Game D winner

Dukehky
03-09-2014, 09:04 PM
I've never been to the late Friday night game, anyone know if I buy the cheapest tickets on stub hub or something if the GC crew is super strict about people moving down since the stadium will be semi-empty?

gumbomoop
03-09-2014, 09:28 PM
http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-baskbl/2014_acctourney_bracket.pdf

The asterisk at bottom of bracket refers to "approximate game," but obviously means "approximate time." In fact, all approximate 2nd game times are approximately off by ~ 30 minutes.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Can this [redacted] be right? I believe we play 9pm Friday, but it seems VERY unlikely that the championship game would be Sunday at 7pm.

Better source?

MChambers
03-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Can this [redacted] be right? I believe we play 9pm Friday, but it seems VERY unlikely that the championship game would be Sunday at 7pm.

Better source?
How 'bout the ACC itself?

http://www.theacc.com/#!/page/championship_m-baskbl

gumbomoop
03-10-2014, 09:04 AM

Better source?

http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-baskbl/2014_acctourney_bracket.pdf

The second [asterisk] games in any session will probably start ~ 30 minutes later. The second semi on Sat aft should have an asterisk, too.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Thanks.

Any opinions about being the late game Friday?

lotusland
03-10-2014, 09:07 AM
I don't see anything listed for Saturday or Sunday on the acc sched.

I agree 7:00 is a late start considering the selection committee typically releases the brackets after the tournaments end.

gumbomoop
03-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Thanks.

Any opinions about being the late game Friday?

Not sure I understand the question, but Duke definitely plays the late game Fri eve. I'd guess it would start ~ 9:30, v. either Clemson or GT, as BC's a long shot to win 2 in a row.

Maybe your question concerns the tiredness effect of playing the late game Fri on how the team would perform on Sat/Sun?? In terms of rest for the 4 seeded teams, finishing 3d is the "worst" spot. I'd expect K to play 9-10 guys at least in the first half of the Fri game, and he'd love an easy win. Almost as much as we on EK......

I'd prefer Duke's opponent Fri be BC, because they're the weakest among the 3 possible opponents, and would have played both Wed and Thurs night. The more interesting choice would be between GT and Clemson. If GT is the opponent, they, like BC, would have played the 2 previous nights. And Duke's beaten them twice. But that fact gives GT the "revenge factor" advantage [if such a factor exists]; more important, GT bigs Miller and Carter might prove tough. As for Clemson, Duke would want revenge for a bad loss. Go BC......

sagegrouse
03-10-2014, 09:28 AM
The old Grouse roars, "Why is everything here a mystery??!!"

The ACC Web (http://www.theacc.com/#!/page/championship_m-baskbl)site says that Sunday's final is at 1:00PM ET, just like every other year.

gumbomoop
03-10-2014, 09:42 AM
The old Grouse roars, "Why is everything here a mystery??!!"

I prefer sage to grouse, but both parts are useful.

Eakane
03-10-2014, 10:33 AM
Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but I jut noticed that the ACC championship game starts at 7:00, an hour after the field is announced. If it's Duke vs. Virginia, wouldn't the winner deserve a 2 seed and the loser a 3? Likewise Syracuse? What if two of the bottom 10 teams are playing? Or if one of the top four is playing one of them? Contingency seeds?

The ACC championship matters, obviously, because it is a thing in and of itself; but in past years, it has mattered secondarily for seedings. Last year, we entered the ACC tourny at 27-4. Had we advanced past Maryland, it would be hard to argue that we would not have merited a 1 seed

Does anybody know what plan (if any)i the Committee has for this?

hurleyfor3
03-10-2014, 10:41 AM
Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but I jut noticed that the ACC championship game starts at 7:00

See above, it's been 1300 hours local time for the last 30+ years. They moved the Saturday games up an hour a year or two ago, from 1330 to 1300, which I found weird.

The committee generally sets the bracket Saturday night and may have a couple contingencies when good teams still have to play on Sunday. There might be, say, a 1 seed slotted for a winner and a 2 seed for the loser, or the same seed but with more or less favorable draws. 1991, 1998 and 2004 were good examples of this and 2001 might have been.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Not sure I understand the question, but Duke definitely plays the late game Fri eve. I'd guess it would start ~ 9:30, v. either Clemson or GT, as BC's a long shot to win 2 in a row.

Maybe your question concerns the tiredness effect of playing the late game Fri on how the team would perform on Sat/Sun?? In terms of rest for the 4 seeded teams, finishing 3d is the "worst" spot. I'd expect K to play 9-10 guys at least in the first half of the Fri game, and he'd love an easy win. Almost as much as we on EK......

I'd prefer Duke's opponent Fri be BC, because they're the weakest among the 3 possible opponents, and would have played both Wed and Thurs night. The more interesting choice would be between GT and Clemson. If GT is the opponent, they, like BC, would have played the 2 previous nights. And Duke's beaten them twice. But that fact gives GT the "revenge factor" advantage [if such a factor exists]; more important, GT bigs Miller and Carter might prove tough. As for Clemson, Duke would want revenge for a bad loss. Go BC......

Sorry for the lack of articulation - I call it the Tablet Curse. Makes me much less verbose than I would like.

Yes, my curiosity was about playing the late game on Friday, and then (hopefully) turning around and playing middle afternoon the next day. Seems less than advantageous, but perhaps our conditioning during that 8 days stretch will come to fruition.

So, we could potentially play Clemson, 'Cuse, UNC and make it a revenge tour? I say bring it on.

I would propose that Pitt and NC State are potential wild cards in the tournament. I am sure both would relish the opportunity to play spoiler. Pitt has better NCAA odds than NCSU, but I would think that with a few wins the Wolfpack might work their way into the conversation.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-10-2014, 10:44 AM
Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but I jut noticed that the ACC championship game starts at 7:00, an hour after the field is announced. If it's Duke vs. Virginia, wouldn't the winner deserve a 2 seed and the loser a 3? Likewise Syracuse? What if two of the bottom 10 teams are playing? Or if one of the top four is playing one of them? Contingency seeds?

The ACC championship matters, obviously, because it is a thing in and of itself; but in past years, it has mattered secondarily for seedings. Last year, we entered the ACC tourny at 27-4. Had we advanced past Maryland, it would be hard to argue that we would not have merited a 1 seed

Does anybody know what plan (if any)i the Committee has for this?

I was confused by that too, but once I discovered that particular information was posted on a Wolfpack website, I figured it was wrong.

To be fair, I have heard for years that 98% of the seeding happens prior to Sunday games, but I doubt they would actually tip off in the middle of the bracket release show.

hurleyfor3
03-10-2014, 10:48 AM
The whole "3 seed is at a disadvantage with the late game" thing... since 2003 WE have won the tournament three times as a 3-seed: 2003, 05 and 09. FSU also won it as a three in 2012. Maryland won it as a six in 2004, which is functionally the same as a three in terms of game times. So the late Friday (3/6) has furnished the winner as often as the 1/8 game has in that time! Quit making up stuff to worry about!

(Edit to clarify Maryland in 2004.)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-10-2014, 10:58 AM
The whole "3 seed is at a disadvantage with the late game" thing... since 2003 WE have won the tournament three times as a 3-seed: 2003, 05 and 09. Two other 3-seeds have won it as well, Maryland in 04 and fsu in 2012. That's as many times as the 1-seed has won it in that time! Quit making up stuff to worry about!

Whoa there, I was just asking if anyone had an opinion - not trying to stir anything up.

I like our chances in the tournament to be honest, and I'm the last one to blame scheduling, refs, what-have-you if we come up short.

Honestly, my only issue about a 9pm tip off is that it will be more like 9:30 and I won't get to go to sleep until 12. I'm an old fogey.

grad_devil
03-10-2014, 11:05 AM
I've never been to the late Friday night game, anyone know if I buy the cheapest tickets on stub hub or something if the GC crew is super strict about people moving down since the stadium will be semi-empty?

I have the same question - anyone have info on this?

hurleyfor3
03-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Unless something has changed from a few years ago, you can move around in Greensboro if the place isn't full. (And even if it is close to full, such as on Sunday if it's not Duke/unc.)

You will definitely have plenty of seats to choose from by halftime of our game. It'll be after 10pm by then and a lot of people without a vested interest will have left. Add to that unc, uva and wake won't be in that session and ncsu will have to win on thursday to get there, so demand for that session will be low in the first place.

I would wait until I get there and buy from a scalper. It's going to be a cheap ticket. Close to "try to get someone to give you a ticket for free" territory.

CameronBornAndBred
03-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Lots of potentially interesting matchups...my first favorite being the possibility of UVA-Md to start off Friday coming off the heels of their loss. If it happens, and if UVA gets beaten, they will be on a 2 game losing streak...to the same team.
Wake and Notre Dame is an interesting matchup too, not for the teams but for the coaches. How warm is Brey's butt? I know Bdzelik's seat is searing hot. Beating Duke is not going to save him. (Ask Seth Greenberg about that.)
UNC and Pitt would be great matchup too.
And of course, I am relishing another showdown with Syracuse.

Lunchab1es
03-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Beating Duke is not going to save him. (Ask Seth Greenberg about that.)

The Ultimate Duke Curse. Beat us and get fired.

bluedevilallie
03-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Just saw someone is wondering about moving seats in the G'boro Coliseum. I have been to several ACC tournament games there and usually it is no problem to move around. We have seats in the Duke section --upstairs so were planning to move down. Take your binoculars Should be great bball!

jhmoss1812
03-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Lots of potentially interesting matchups...my first favorite being the possibility of UVA-Md to start off Friday coming off the heels of their loss. If it happens, and if UVA gets beaten, they will be on a 2 game losing streak...to the same team.
Wake and Notre Dame is an interesting matchup too, not for the teams but for the coaches. How warm is Brey's butt? I know Bdzelik's seat is searing hot. Beating Duke is not going to save him. (Ask Seth Greenberg about that.)
UNC and Pitt would be great matchup too.
And of course, I am relishing another showdown with Syracuse.

I can't tell you how bad I'm pulling for FSU to beat MD. Overall, we're a better team than MD but they propose one of the biggest matchup problems in the ACC for us. I want nothing to do with them if we can avoid it. We just match up really well against FSU. That's why matchups are so important. I bet Villanova doesn't want to see Creighton or Kentucky doesn't want to see Arkansas. That doesn't mean they're worse teams than them overall, but in a 1-and-done situation, it's all it takes.

DownEastDevil
03-10-2014, 04:11 PM
I can't tell you how bad I'm pulling for FSU to beat MD. Overall, we're a better team than MD but they propose one of the biggest matchup problems in the ACC for us. I want nothing to do with them if we can avoid it. We just match up really well against FSU. That's why matchups are so important. I bet Villanova doesn't want to see Creighton or Kentucky doesn't want to see Arkansas. That doesn't mean they're worse teams than them overall, but in a 1-and-done situation, it's all it takes.

We won't see Maryland again unless it's in the championship game on Sunday. If that's the case I don't have a problem playing them again.

Kedsy
03-10-2014, 04:20 PM
We won't see Maryland again unless it's in the championship game on Sunday. If that's the case I don't have a problem playing them again.

I'm pretty sure jhmoss1812 is a Virginia fan, so the "we" in his post was probably the team playing the winner of FSU/Maryland on Friday.

jekelish
03-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Hey guys, SU fan/alum here (I've posted a couple times in the past - also please forgive any typos, I'm on an iPad and autocorrect is the devil) - good luck this week, here is hoping we both take care of business and set up an epic rubber match showdown in the semis. I would have preferred (and I assume so, too, would ESPN) a title game rematch, but to be honest I have more confidence winning the ACCT against UVA/UNC than against you folks.

Here is hoping we both get there and have a triple overtime, ridiculously well played, 115-112 final score game for the ages.

With Syracuse coming out ahead of course...

jv001
03-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Hey guys, SU fan/alum here (I've posted a couple times in the past - also please forgive any typos, I'm on an iPad and autocorrect is the devil) - good luck this week, here is hoping we both take care of business and set up an epic rubber match showdown in the semis. I would have preferred (and I assume so, too, would ESPN) a title game rematch, but to be honest I have more confidence winning the ACCT against UVA/UNC than against you folks.

Here is hoping we both get there and have a triple overtime, ridiculously well played, 115-112 final score game for the ages.

With Syracuse coming out ahead of course...

Good to see you back, jekelish. I'd take that Final but with Duke on top. GoDuke!

Troublemaker
03-10-2014, 05:26 PM

Hey jhmoss1812, that's interesting. Any reason you believe MD poses a matchup problem for UVA? I ask because there are probably quite a few Duke fans that believe MD is a matchup problem for Duke as well. They've played us really well the past couple of years. Their guards, especially Wells, seem to thrive against Duke's pressure. And in our last meeting, they did a pretty good job holding down our 3-pt shooting, although we did miss some open ones as well.

In any case, hard to say the Terps didn't underachieve in their final ACC season. There's pretty good talent there.

Troublemaker
03-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Kenpom log5 odds for ACC Tourney: http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/acc_log51

Duke has a 26.9% chance of winning, second-best behind UVA, which has a 33.1% chance of winning

Troublemaker
03-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Betting odds to win the ACC tourney from 2 popular online books are below. Duke is the favorite.

For those unfamiliar... "Duke +150" just means if you bet $100 on Duke, you win $150 if Duke comes through and wins the tournament. (So yes "Va Tech +300,000" means bet $100 on them, win $300,000 if they win.)

If you trust Kenpom's numbers, UVA is actually a good bet at both books. Note: the second book didn't bother listing odds for the bottom 5 teams. Some of those bottom teams are actually great bets according to Kenpom's odds. (There may be one or two other good bets in there according to kenpom; I haven't compared for every team. Duke is a horrible bet at those odds.)

Duke

+150

+135

UVA

+350

+250

Syracuse

+475

+300

UNC

+650

+650

Pitt

+1000

+1000

Maryland

+4000

+5000

FSU

+4000

+4000

Clemson

+5000

+5000

NCSU

+5500

+1500

Miami

+9000

+10,000

Notre Dame

+12,500

GaTech

+30,000

BC

+150,000

Wake

+200,000

Va Tech

+300,000

Here is a Turtle
03-11-2014, 05:31 PM
6% chance of a team stealing a bid.
Kenpom gives us a 1.3% chance of winning the tournament...

So you're saying there's a chance?

timmy c
03-11-2014, 05:36 PM
6% chance of a team stealing a bid.
Kenpom gives us a 1.3% chance of winning the tournament...

So you're saying there's a chance?

1.3% has got to be within the margin of error. So, no... No chance.

Here is a Turtle
03-11-2014, 05:40 PM
1.3% has got to be within the margin of error. So, no... No chance.

Never say never. I remember last year several people on this board thought Duke would beat Maryland in Greensboro by 20. We saw how it worked out. When it's a one-and-done situation, anything can happen.

throatybeard
03-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Point of order. Every time the ACCT is in Greensboro, someone should gratuitously link this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJMsoIptQo

JNort
03-11-2014, 09:56 PM
My tickets are "Will call" so does that mean I have to drive to Duke to get them? Or the ticket office at the Greensboro Colliseum?

Kedsy
03-11-2014, 10:29 PM
My tickets are "Will call" so does that mean I have to drive to Duke to get them? Or the ticket office at the Greensboro Colliseum?

If it's consistent with years past, Greensboro.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-12-2014, 02:06 PM
So, it's Wednesday and this year that means ACC Tourney BBall!

Wake up 8 on Notre Dame at the half.

mattman91
03-12-2014, 02:36 PM
So, it's Wednesday and this year that means ACC Tourney BBall!

Wake up 8 on Notre Dame at the half.

Perhaps some Asheville Pizza this weekend for a game? I'd like an 828 Pale Ale, or 5.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Perhaps some Asheville Pizza this weekend for a game? I'd like an 828 Pale Ale, or 5.

When visiting my parents in Hickory, I always make at least 1 trip downtown to The Tap Room (aka Olde Hickory Brewery) for a cold Table Rock Pale Ale pint while catching a game or two.

I strongly recommend trying any beer from the OHB.

Oh yeah, Wake up 9 with just over a minute left.

OldPhiKap
03-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Wake wins by 12, fans have mixed feelings.

mattman91
03-12-2014, 03:55 PM
When visiting my parents in Hickory, I always make at least 1 trip downtown to The Tap Room (aka Olde Hickory Brewery) for a cold Table Rock Pale Ale pint while catching a game or two.

I strongly recommend trying any beer from the OHB.

Oh yeah, Wake up 9 with just over a minute left.

Funny you mention it. I moved to Asheville from Hickory. I lived right down the street from ohb. My favorites are the Death by Hops, Irish Walker, and The Event Horizon! Even though I'm now living in "Beer City USA", Olde Hickory remains my favorite NC brewery...I'm feeling like this belongs in a different thread....

Troublemaker
03-12-2014, 04:12 PM
VaTech trying to become 3-0 vs Miami this season (and 0-16 vs the rest of the ACC). Up 25-20 with 3:15 left in first half.

roywhite
03-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Wake wins by 12, fans have mixed feelings.

ESPN boxscore: Wake 81 -- Notre Dame 69 (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400544545)

Wake shot lights out; 61% FG and 7-10 from 3-pt
It wasn't just us; they have some ability on offense

Tough year for Mike Brey and the Irish -- depleted by injuries.

stillcrazie
03-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Funny you mention it. I moved to Asheville from Hickory. I lived right down the street from ohb. My favorites are the Death by Hops, Irish Walker, and The Event Horizon! Even though I'm now living in "Beer City USA", Olde Hickory remains my favorite NC brewery...I'm feeling like this belongs in a different thread....

Hickory Stick Stout in the winter months. $3.99/large bottle.

OldPhiKap
03-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Miami 57, VT 53.

VT lost 17 of last 18 games, and was 2-16 in the league. Oddly, only two wins were against Miami.

Next up for Miami: State.

Marc81
03-12-2014, 08:07 PM
I posted this on another thread but thought this might get better traffic. Anyone know of a good approach when trying to purchase tickets off of other teams fans after they lose? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

OldPhiKap
03-12-2014, 08:11 PM
I posted this on another thread but thought this might get better traffic. Anyone know of a good approach when trying to purchase tickets off of other teams fans after they lose? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Don't wear Duke gear.

Marc81
03-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Don't wear Duke gear.

We were thinking that might not be wise. Thanks

hurleyfor3
03-12-2014, 08:43 PM
Anyone know of a good approach when trying to purchase tickets off of other teams fans after they lose?

That is the approach.

Oh, try to do this when you're still inside the stadium. Fewer scalpers. Try for a full book if you plan on being around that long, shoot for something around half of total face for the remaining games for decent lowers.

Marc81
03-12-2014, 09:13 PM
That is the approach.

Oh, try to do this when you're still inside the stadium. Fewer scalpers. Try for a full book if you plan on being around that long, shoot for something around half of total face for the remaining games for decent lowers.

Thanks. I definitely would like to sit in the lower sections. Wonder how much that would be? On the goduke site they were selling for $300 I think but I don't know where those seats were located.

aro24
03-12-2014, 09:24 PM

I just arrived back home from the games. I actually left this BC/GT game early because it was a snoozer and the power went out. Most folks left then....had I known that it would turn into a close overtime game, I would have stayed. There were more than enough scalpers there to pick and choose from. There were actually folks walking around the concourse inside the coliseum selling them. I can't say that I remember that in the past.

On a side note, I got to meet Gene Banks tonight. Super great guy. I explained to him that I was using my dad's ticket for the day as his health would not currently let him out of the house for a long period of time to come watch the games. His asked me to write his name and address down and told me that he would be sending him something in the mail. All CLASS!

ARo24

JNort
03-12-2014, 09:26 PM
GT and BC in OT. GT player got fouled at the end of regulation but refs didn't call it (thankfully). Not the prettiest game but it's still a tight one

brevity
03-12-2014, 09:31 PM
VT lost 17 of last 18 games, and was 2-16 in the league.

I can imagine the postgame discussion...

Seth Greenberg: Looks like my Hokies were riggin' for Wiggins.
Rece Davis: But that's not how it works.

DukieInBrasil
03-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Front Page went 2-1 on their 1st day predictions, and one of the ones they got right went to OT to be decided. Just shows that the tourneys do not always follow logic. Now let's hope Duke wins the whole thing!!!

BlueDevilBrowns
03-12-2014, 09:58 PM
GT and BC in OT. GT player got fouled at the end of regulation but refs didn't call it (thankfully). Not the prettiest game but it's still a tight one

Even though GT ended up winning, a special shout-out should go to Patrick Heckmann of BC with 19 2nd-half points.

He did a great Kyle Singler impersonation with strong drives, solid D, and a couple of 3's too.

He could be an All ACC player next year.

rsvman
03-13-2014, 01:15 PM
Fl State and Maryland in a two-point game at the half.

JNort
03-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Fl State and Maryland in a two-point game at the half.

Man I can't stress enough how much I hope Maryland loses. Can't wait for the ACC to lose them and add the Ville

hurleyfor3
03-13-2014, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure what I want to watch more, Maryland losing so they'll finally go away, or Villanova losing so people will finally shut up about them.

sporthenry
03-13-2014, 01:43 PM
This Maryland team has to be a severe disappointment. I know FSU is solid but Maryland had enough talent to go head to head with UVA twice, Duke, and 'Cuse.

Maybe keeping MD would have been good for Duke. Another "coach" who can recruit and get preseason hype before failing down the stretch.

JNort
03-13-2014, 01:47 PM
I'm not sure what I want to watch more, Maryland losing so they'll finally go away, or Villanova losing so people will finally shut up about them.

I'd rather hear about Villanova than Wichita. God Wichita is gonna get destroyed in NCAA tourney play

JNort
03-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Charles Mitchell went to the locker room for Maryland with what looked a hand or wrist injury. He has since come back to the bench. FSU holding a 4pt lead

hurleyfor3
03-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Our long regional nightmare is now over.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Good bye Maryland. Felled by a gutsy extra pass.

COYS
Wow! A buzzer beating dunk wins it for FSU and the Twerps leave the ACC with a loss!

moonpie23
good riddance to bad rubbish….

CDu
03-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Goodbye and good riddance, Maryland!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Wow, he got fouled about 6 times on that dunk.

sporthenry
03-13-2014, 02:22 PM
Can we start following Leonard Hamilton around and start recruiting some of these giant foreigners.

hurleyfor3
03-13-2014, 02:22 PM
I see I'm not the only one here without a real job.

luburch
03-13-2014, 02:30 PM
The ending to the FSU-Maryland game was the best possible way to end Maryland's tenure in the ACC.

NashvilleDevil
03-13-2014, 02:30 PM
Glad to see Maryland go out in that fashion.

Tripping William
03-13-2014, 02:33 PM

I'm sure that final dunk by FSU is somehow Duke's fault.

MCFinARL
03-13-2014, 02:33 PM

You got your wish! ;)

devildeac
03-13-2014, 02:37 PM
From my dear, sweet, usually quiet, reserved and unemotional wife:

"Bye-bye Maryland. Good riddance."

Sure wish I could get her to post here;).

hurleyfor3
03-13-2014, 02:40 PM
I'm sure that final dunk by FSU is somehow Duke's fault.

Good!

BD80
03-13-2014, 02:42 PM

That's pretty much the door hitting them in the arse as they leave ...

Oh yeah, the ACC is holding on to Md's share of this tournament as well, as well as their upcoming NIT share? I'm sure their new Big Whatever brethren will float the terps a loan.

Seeeee Ya!

devildeac
03-13-2014, 02:52 PM
I see I'm not the only one here without a real job.

Billable hours? What does that mean;):o?

throatybeard
03-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Bilas and McDonough sound like they're bored out of their skulls.

LBF
03-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Seeeee Ya!
Ditto

BluDvlsN1
03-13-2014, 03:57 PM
In like a lion...
OUT like a lamb..

CDu
03-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Meanwhile, the Jeff Bzdelik (sp?) farewell tour is nearing its end...

throatybeard
03-13-2014, 04:03 PM
This is brutal. I have a better idea.

Only the top eight finishers in the conference make the conference tournament. Thursday games take place IFF there is a tie for eighth.

I suppose I could be persuaded towards a ten- or twelve-team version, but never more than twelve. If you want a shot, don't finish 13-16 in a 13-16-team conference.

Dev11
03-13-2014, 04:12 PM

Only the top eight finishers in the conference make the conference tournament. Thursday games take place IFF there is a tie for eighth.

I suppose I could be persuaded towards a ten- or twelve-team version, but never more than twelve. If you want a shot, don't finish 13-16 in a 13-16-team conference.

We do it for baseball. I'm on board.

sporthenry
03-13-2014, 04:12 PM

Well if the ACC is going to be a 10 bid conference, taking those games away could hurt. No way should it just go to 8. At the very least 12.

Not sure why 16 is so bad. You don't have to watch them. And Wake would be in the top 12 regardless.

CDu
03-13-2014, 04:13 PM

I agree with this, and have been saying the same about the old Big East Tournament. There is just no reason that a team that finishes in the bottom 25% of teams in the conference should be allowed to win the tournament.

That being said, I heard a fairly reasonable argument on the side of why that won't happen (hint: it's all about money). Apparently, the universities make deals guaranteeing their sponsors that allow for X number of tickets to the ACC Tournament. If said team doesn't qualify for the tournament, said team doesn't have those tickets to guarantee. So it would change (slightly, but perhaps significantly) the negotiations with these sponsors.

That may or may not be a big part of the argument, but I suspect that lots of little stories like that add up to why we're stuck with these awful awful games for the first two days.

Of course, I guess we could just not watch these two days, right?

OldPhiKap
03-13-2014, 04:15 PM
And to think: this time next year, Maryland will be losing to Rutgers.

Dev11
03-13-2014, 04:17 PM
That being said, I heard a fairly reasonable argument on the side of why that won't happen (hint: it's all about money). Apparently, the universities make deals guaranteeing their sponsors that allow for X number of tickets to the ACC Tournament. If said team doesn't qualify for the tournament, said team doesn't have those tickets to guarantee. So it would change (slightly, but perhaps significantly) the negotiations with these sponsors.

Nobody is telling the VT fans NOT to show up.

Reilly
03-13-2014, 04:18 PM
And Ralph Friedgen will be rooting on Rutgers.

At least Maryland will have the Big 10's funds deposited into its bank account (before the bank executes the ACC's garnishment order). So that's something, sort of.

brevity
03-13-2014, 04:20 PM

Excluding teams from their conference tournament seems fairly brutal. I know it happens elsewhere -- the Northeast Conference, for example, offered no postseason for 9th and 10th place, but keep in mind that its "tournament" is not in a centralized location. Higher seeds played on their home floor every 3 days, so it took 7 days for find a champion out of 8 teams. (Good NBA preparation, where it takes 2 months to get through the first round.)

I have a better idea. Pretend the ACC Tournament starts on Friday, especially if your team doesn't play until then, and you're not heading to Greensboro. Any action on Wednesday or Thursday is like a nice prologue, like the games in Dayton that reduce the NCAA Tournament field from 68 to 64. It's real basketball, sure, but for completists only.

cbarry
03-13-2014, 04:29 PM
I agree 1000%! It will never happen, but it would be nice if it did.

Wander
03-13-2014, 04:35 PM

Even better: stop this double bye BS. When we get to 16 teams, just have a 16 team tournament with no byes. It was always super weird to me that the Big East had a number of teams equal to a power of 2 and made some dumb complex bracket. I understand that doesn't give a super strong reward to the top team or two, but, well, whatever.

sporthenry
03-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Even better: stop this double bye BS. When we get to 16 teams, just have a 16 team tournament with no byes. It was always super weird to me that the Big East had a number of teams equal to a power of 2 and made some dumb complex bracket. I understand that doesn't give a super strong reward to the top team or two, but, well, whatever.

Pretty sure it has to do with times. You can't do 8 games a day. You'd be playing from 10:00 AM to 2:00 AM and that isn't even giving you 30 minutes to warm up and OT's, etc.

Even if you went to 6 games, you'd still be pushing it. Pretty sure that is why it is only 4 games a day. It'd be even weirder to have teams have byes in the middle of the tournament.

hurleyfor3
03-13-2014, 04:42 PM
The Pitt/Wake game was so bad, espn updated its Bubble Watch with a Pitt win with five minutes left in the game.

"But the Panthers' resume also doesn't include any truly bad losses, and they avoided as much in high style Thursday. Pitt's blowout of Wake Forest sets up a No. 4/No. 5 matchup with North Carolina on Friday..."

CDu
03-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Pretty sure it has to do with times. You can't do 8 games a day. You'd be playing from 10:00 AM to 2:00 AM and that isn't even giving you 30 minutes to warm up and OT's, etc.

Even if you went to 6 games, you'd still be pushing it. Pretty sure that is why it is only 4 games a day. It'd be even weirder to have teams have byes in the middle of the tournament.

This could be worked out:

Top 4 teams play on Wednesday against the bottom 4. On Thursday, we get the middle 8 playing against each other. Then, Friday, we're down to 8 (just like the olden times). And (assuming the top seeds don't blow it on Wednesday), you've rewarded the top seeds with an extra day of rest.

hurleyfor3
03-13-2014, 04:49 PM

You could do it with two sites. When it's in Greensboro, use the Joel. You'll need more hotel rooms and such, but you still have these problems with 16 teams at one site.

I think one reason the lesser conferences leave out teams is to protect the higher seeds. Even if the best team doesn't win the tournament they want to keep a horrible team from winning. Also, a lot of smaller schools don't have the budget to commit to a four-day tournament.

The thing with the ACC is the teams that need the most help getting into the NCAAs are the middle teams, the ones in the 5-8 seed range. The top teams don't really need protecting, they're just jockeying for NCAA seedings. What's more important, that Duke get a #1 seed or that an extra team or two gets a bid? For the whole conference it's the latter.

OldPhiKap
03-13-2014, 05:30 PM

This could be worked out:

Top 4 teams play on Wednesday against the bottom 4. On Thursday, we get the middle 8 playing against each other. Then, Friday, we're down to 8 (just like the olden times). And (assuming the top seeds don't blow it on Wednesday), you've rewarded the top seeds with an extra day of rest.

If you are a real NCAA Tourney contender, you don't want to have to play four games in four days. You may have to play in Spokane or California or Denver or such on a Thursday.

I think the top four teams getting passes until Friday is about the best you can do under the circumstances.

weezie
03-13-2014, 05:34 PM

Haha I'm already misty-eyed.
Might the national sportswriter nitwits give the Larry Brown love fest a rest now too?

sagegrouse
03-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Haha I'm already misty-eyed.
Might the national sportswriter nitwits give the Larry Brown love fest a rest now too?

Larry Brown is (or was) an amazingly effective coach. Even Christian Laettner regretted that he didn't get to play for one of the top coaches, who could have helped develop his game, "like Larry Brown or Pat Riley."

But remember also Kornheiser's opinion of Brown, who was his counselor at sommer camp and has known him basically forever. "After a couple of years he begins to hate all his players, and they all begin to hate him."

roywhite
03-13-2014, 06:35 PM

Well, the Terps may have a chance vs the Scarlet Knights, based on today's action.

Louisville 92 -- Rutgers 31 (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400545735)

Yikes. And it's not like Louisville shot lights out -- they were 45.7% from the field and 29.6% from 3-pt.
Louisville's 19 steals and 26 Rutgers turnovers may have had something to do with the lopsided score.

dukelifer
03-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Well, the Terps may have a chance vs the Scarlet Knights, based on today's action.

Louisville 92 -- Rutgers 31 (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400545735)

Yikes. And it's not like Louisville shot lights out -- they were 45.7% from the field and 29.6% from 3-pt.
Louisville's 19 steals and 26 Rutgers turnovers may have had something to do with the lopsided score.

Louisville is a very dangerous team. I would not be surprised to see them in the FF.

roywhite
03-13-2014, 06:59 PM
Louisville is a very dangerous team. I would not be surprised to see them in the FF.

Yeah, no doubt. Actually, they could well be a #1 seed, esp. since Villanova lost today.

Looks like their pressure defense has really cranked up again. In addition to today's blowout, they recently beat a ranked UConn team 81-48.
With players like Russ Smith, Luke Hancock, Montrezl Harrell, and Coach Pitino on the sidelines --- they're a serious contender (or defender, if you will).

Newton_14
03-13-2014, 08:13 PM

I think that a great idea actually. Nice and simple. 4 games in 4 days to win it. No frills. Just 4 days of wall to wall hooping and may the best team win. Also, K stated on the radio yesterday that he wishes the ACC would go back to having the Championship game on Saturday night like it used to be. (That great NC State/Maryland 103-100 triple OT game was played on a Saturday Night). That way the teams get Sunday off and can have a team meal together to watch the selection show and also get a full off day with rest. K said having it on Sunday is problematic, especially if one or both team end up drawing a Thurs Noon NCAA tourney game.

Not sure if he has lobbied the ACC for that move or not but I would like to see it moved back to Saturday Night prime time as well. K said it would be a"majestic" atmosphere and I totally agree.

gofurman
03-13-2014, 08:23 PM
I think that a great idea actually. Nice and simple. 4 games in 4 days to win it. No frills. Just 4 days of wall to wall hooping and may the best team win. Also, K stated on the radio yesterday that he wishes the ACC would go back to having the Championship game on Saturday night like it used to be. (That great NC State/Maryland 103-100 triple OT game was played on a Saturday Night). That way the teams get Sunday off and can have a team meal together to watch the selection show and also get a full off day with rest. K said having it on Sunday is problematic, especially if one or both team end up drawing a Thurs Noon NCAA tourney game.

Not sure if he has lobbied the ACC for that move or not but I would like to see it moved back to Saturday Night prime time as well. K said it would be a"majestic" atmosphere and I totally agree.

IMHO, I do NOT want to lplay Louisville. ALmost anyone but Louisville - maybe its shades of last year but something about them scares me

ice-9
03-13-2014, 08:34 PM
IMHO, I do NOT want to lplay Louisville. ALmost anyone but Louisville - maybe its shades of last year but something about them scares me

We would have a tough time against their press - I don't want to face them either.

Henderson
03-13-2014, 08:36 PM

I like it, but it'll never fly. UNC-CH wouldn't necessarily be able to hang "ACC Sweet 16" banners every year.

Cameron
03-13-2014, 09:16 PM

I have to disagree with Coach K on that. Personally, I don't find anything "majestic" about Saturday night prime-time games. In fact, since seemingly every big game in college basketball or football these days is broadcast in the Saturday night time slot, I find the opposite to be true. To me, there is something special about the Sunday afternoon ACC championship game that sets the event apart from other conference tournaments, giving the ACC Tournament an extra element of pageantry and staking its claim as the grandest of them all. (Of course, the Big Ten, perhaps wanting to replicate this, slated its championship game to the Sunday afternoon time slot as well after the conference added a post-season event in the late '90s.)

Additionally, I strongly dislike that the second Duke-Carolina game each year has moved into the late Saturday night slot. The traditional Sunday game at 3 or 4 p.m. that aired on network television on CBS or ABC was Duke and Carolina at its finest.

That's just my opinion, anyway.

Atlanta Duke
03-13-2014, 09:32 PM

For reasons aside from being old enough to remember the Saturday night championship games, I agree with concluding the tournament on Saturday night. That presumably would get rid of afternoon semi-final games and move the semi-finals back to Friday evening, as was the case under the old schedule, which would avoid the last quarterfinal game going until midnight and the winner then coming back to tipoff the semifinal game around 3:30 the next afternoon.

But just as the UNC-Duke game that was snowed out was rescheduled a week later, the scheduling is TV driven. It would seem to me the ACC tournament could move into TV slots now held by the Big East tournament, but that probably is ESPN's call more than the ACC's call. If ESPN decided it would grow ratings by tipping off at 3 a.m. the conferences would schedule the games for after midnight.

Additionally, I strongly dislike that the second Duke-Carolina game each year has moved into the late Saturday night slot. The traditional Sunday game at 3 or 4 p.m. that aired on network television on CBS or ABC was Duke and Carolina at its finest.

My recollection is the second Duke-Carolina game was "traditionally" played on Saturday afternoon from the early through mid-70s (I know 8 points in 17 seconds was) and went to Saturday night for at least 1979 - older posters can state when the second game was played in the 1960s (my guess is a night game)

"Traditional" starting times have been whatever TV says they are for some time.

gofurman
03-13-2014, 09:47 PM
We would have a tough time against their press - I don't want to face them either.

good point - exactly - recall playing vs Oliver Purnell Clemson press? They beat the living snot out of us with far less talent. And have you witnessed our guards this year vs simple half-court pressure and double-teams (not even a full press) ??? Just a bad matchup. I do not want to play any press team. Esp one that practices it all the time all year or a good bit of the time (and employs it a lot so they are well schooled in it)- they are few and far between but Louisville is one.

Cook and Suliamon are good but they aren't press breakers

Cameron
03-13-2014, 10:04 PM
"Traditional" starting times have been whatever TV says they are for some time.

Tradition is also largely predicated on personal experience. It is possible, though, that I am simply misremembering and mixing my Saturdays with Sundays.

Having grown up in the '90s when Duke and Carolina met for the second time each season on either a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, naturally those are the memories that I hold most dear. As those here yearning for the Saturday night championship game also prove, nostalgia is a powerful thing.

After some digging, it appears that the Sunday encounters did not begin until 2000 or thereabouts. So I was obviously mistaken in my belief that Duke-Carolina met on Sundays in the '90s. But it's not really the day that I loved as much as the time. I just prefer the day game for the second installment. I always loved that.

Troublemaker
03-13-2014, 10:11 PM
good point - exactly - recall playing vs Oliver Purnell Clemson press

Except for one memorable blowout defeat at Littlejohn, Duke handled Purnell's teams just fine. 9-2 vs Clemson during his tenure there.

Just a bad matchup. I do not want to play any press team. Esp one that practices it all the time all year or a good bit of the time (and employs it a lot so they are well schooled in it)- they are few and far between but Louisville is one.

I dunno. We have a very good ball-handling team, and I think we'd do well. The very small sample of some struggles against UNC's press in the last game is not indicative of how we'd generally fare, imo.

I understand where the concern about Louisville comes from. But this Louisville team isn't as good as last year's, and hopefully if we played them, we'd be healthy instead of having 2 of our top 3 players dragging leg/foot injuries around that required surgery after the season.

sagegrouse
03-13-2014, 10:24 PM
I have to disagree with Coach K on that. Personally, I don't find anything "majestic" about Saturday night prime-time games. In fact, since seemingly every big game in college basketball or football these days is broadcast in the Saturday night time slot, I find the opposite to be true. To me, there is something special about the Sunday afternoon ACC championship game that sets the event apart from other conference tournaments, giving the ACC Tournament an extra element of pageantry and staking its claim as the grandest of them all. (Of course, the Big Ten, perhaps wanting to replicate this, slated its championship game to the Sunday afternoon time slot as well after the conference added a post-season event in the late '90s.)

That's just my opinion, anyway.

The 2nd Duke-UNC game was the fourth most-watched college basketball game (http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/03/uncduke-latest-acc-game-to-earn-strong-numbers-for-espn/)on ESPN this year. The first one -- a Wednesday night game -- was #10, with the former leading the latter 3.5 million viewers to 2.3 million. The two most-watched college games on ESPN were the Duke-Syracuse matches (4.75 and 4.16 mn.), which may interest the ACC pooh-bahs in establishing twice-yearly games to build the rivalry.

Sunday afternoon tends to be the province of CBS, which has purchased the second Duke-UNC from ESPN a few times and used it to hype the NCAAs.

Olympic Fan
03-13-2014, 10:27 PM

I don't understand this ... the ACC is not going to 16 teams in the near future. It won't happen until Notre Dame decides it wants to be a full ACC member (and maybe not then).

I also hate the double-bye format, but there is a very simple way for a 15-team tournament to be set up without double byes.

Simply give the regular season champion a bye into the quarterfinals (as the top four teams now get). Have the other 14 teams play seven first round games to determine the other seven quarterfinalists -- 2 vs. 15; 3 vs. 14, etc. Play three games on Wednesday, four on Thursday, then you have your normal 8-team Friday.

14 teams have to win four games to win the title ... one team gets to win it with three wins. It's a good reward for the regular season champion.

As for the other complaints I've read in this thread, I don't get it -- I've seen some thrilling basketball. Four of the first six games have been thrillers -- only the Wake-Notre Dame game and the Pitt-Wake game were clunkers. This has been great!!

Newton_14
03-13-2014, 10:36 PM
I don't understand this ... the ACC is not going to 16 teams in the near future. It won't happen until Notre Dame decides it wants to be a full ACC member (and maybe not then).

I also hate the double-bye format, but there is a very simple way for a 15-team tournament to be set up without double byes.

Simply give the regular season champion a bye into the quarterfinals (as the top four teams now get). Have the other 14 teams play seven first round games to determine the other seven quarterfinalists -- 2 vs. 15; 3 vs. 14, etc. Play three games on Wednesday, four on Thursday, then you have your normal 8-team Friday.

14 teams have to win four games to win the title ... one team gets to win it with three wins. It's a good reward for the regular season champion.

As for the other complaints I've read in this thread, I don't get it -- I've seen some thrilling basketball. Four of the first six games have been thrillers -- only the Wake-Notre Dame game and the Pitt-Wake game were clunkers. This has been great!!

I think what happens is that when people think of UL coming in, we sometimes forget it is offset by Maryland leaving. I know I have made that mistake a couple of times this year in threads. But you are right. We are a 15 league team now and will be 15 when UL joins because we lose the terps.

I also like the one bye idea. To me a 3rd or 4th place team or even 2nd for that matter don't deserve to get the same bye the regular season winner gets. Even considering the unbalanced schedule, finishing first should come with some perks that others don't get beyond the Number 1 seed.

opossum
03-13-2014, 11:20 PM

I like this in general, but the Wednesday matchups would probably have been less thrilling if they had been Syracuse and Duke against VaTech and BC instead of Miami and Ga Tech.

pfrduke
03-13-2014, 11:43 PM
Thank you Daniel Miller for ensuring that these teams will play 5 extra minutes. That's the best possible outcome for this game (now go Tech in overtime).

duke09hms
03-13-2014, 11:46 PM
I kind of want Clemson to win for a chance to get revenge.

pfrduke
03-13-2014, 11:48 PM
I kind of want Clemson to win for a chance to get revenge.

I hear you, but I'd rather play the poorer team that will have played (at least) 90 minutes of basketball over the past two days.

Olympic Fan
03-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Thank you Daniel Miller for ensuring that these teams will play 5 extra minutes. That's the best possible outcome for this game (now go Tech in overtime).

So now five of seven games are thrillers .. as much as I dislike this format. This has been a GREAT tourney so far.

BTW: I would much rather see Clemson Friday night than Georgia Tech. We've gotten all the breaks against the Jackets in our two fairly easy wins. I think they are a better team now with a healthy Carter and Golden at full speed.

I'd rather have the mental edge of playing a Clemson team that beat us on the road when we weren't playing well.

Plus, they are a higher-rated team and would help our power rankings more.

tommy
03-13-2014, 11:51 PM
I can't get over how sparse the crowd is as I am watching the Clemson-Georgia Tech game. The lower section is three quarters empty, and the upper sections are almost entirely empty. Looks terrible on TV, and is a real embarrassment. I know it's late there now, almost midnight, but it looked the same when I was watching State-Miami game, which was prime time. What the heck is going on?

Cameron
03-13-2014, 11:53 PM
Anybody who misses a wide-open dunk should be awarded a technical foul.

Cameron
03-13-2014, 11:56 PM
I can't get over how sparse the crowd is as I am watching the Clemson-Georgia Tech game. The lower section is three quarters empty, and the upper sections are almost entirely empty. Looks terrible on TV, and is a real embarrassment. I know it's late there now, almost midnight, but it looked the same when I was watching State-Miami game, which was prime time. What the heck is going on?

It strikes me as especially strange considering all the big names are still dancing (obviously) and North Carolina State won today as well. So it's not as if a couple of the traditional teams lost today and the fans have lost interest and gone home.

duke09hms
03-14-2014, 12:00 AM

Maybe it's about time they move the tournament to a major city then. MSG in NYC!!

OldPhiKap
03-14-2014, 12:04 AM

1. Fans of the top four teams will not show up until tomorrow.

2. Fan of the seven teams who lost have left.

3. Many fans of the winners this afternoon are out celebrating.

4. Same, winners of last game.

As a happy veteran of several ACC tourneys, even in the old days, seven games in three days is a hell of a lot of basketball. This is 14 games in five days, and I bet some of these lower teams may not have traveled well.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2014, 12:07 AM
It doesn't look a whole lot different from other recent Thursday nights. However, with expansion more tickets go to more people who don't care about Thursday night. Especially the second half of the late game when it's pushing midnight and tomorrow's session starts at noon.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2014, 12:13 AM
Note the Friday afternoon games (fsu/uva and pitt/unc) are espn2. Evening games (ncsu/cuse and clemson/us) are espn.

throatybeard
03-14-2014, 12:21 AM
The four teams who distinguished themselves in the RS have earned byes out of this farce, and should not be run to death four/five days before the NCAAT. I'm fully in support of making the horrible teams 13-16 earn their way into the QFs. Is UVA so much better than SU, Duke, UNC that they should be rewarded with an opponent who has played TH-SAT when they started on FR? No.

I am ashamed to admit I watched all of this GT-Clemson grease fire. It's the worst thing I've seen since...Mizzou-A&M around lunchtime central. I'm so glad for Mizzou that they now have the opportunity to make the field with an upset of Florida, although Florida will kill them dead five times before they hit the ground, probably.

Again--eliminate the teams below 12th. Problem fixed.

gofurman
03-14-2014, 12:40 AM
The four teams who distinguished themselves in the RS have earned byes out of this farce, and should not be run to death four/five days before the NCAAT. I'm fully in support of making the horrible teams 13-16 earn their way into the QFs. Is UVA so much better than SU, Duke, UNC that they should be rewarded with an opponent who has played TH-SAT when they started on FR? No.

I am ashamed to admit I watched all of this GT-Clemson grease fire. It's the worst thing I've seen since...Mizzou-A&M around lunchtime central. I'm so glad for Mizzou that they now have the opportunity to make the field with an upset of Florida, although Florida will kill them dead five times before they hit the ground, probably.

A) we cant say much about Clemson - they took it to us. B) Defense may not look pretty (Clemson has Great D - ranked second in nation in points allowed total) but it wins games. That's why Clemson finished 7th out of 15 acc teams instead of the usual near-last place finish for them. Brownell can coach D - that's what frustrated our guys and started hero ball in the last 5 minutes vs Clemson. They don't have O but Clemson has D!!!!!!

Lets win the rematch

ice-9
03-14-2014, 02:21 AM
Anybody who misses a wide-open dunk should be awarded a technical foul.

Ouch! No one would want me on their team then.

UrinalCake
03-14-2014, 07:22 AM

I'm with you. I think the days of everybody being invited are a relic that should go the way of the double round robin. It worked great when we were a smaller conference, but now it's just not practical. The only conceivable advantage I can see for the current format is that it gives a potential bubble team (#10-12) a chance to pick up an extra win to pad their record. But aside from that it's just ridiculous to be playing all of these worthless games.

UrinalCake
03-14-2014, 07:43 AM
A coworker of mine made the astute observation that Syracuse could wind up having to play NC State, Duke, and UNC on consecutive days. In Greensboro. Welcome to the ACC, Jim Boeheim!

It's almost enough to make him lose his shirt.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2014, 07:45 AM
Ouch! No one would want me on their team then.

Historically, I miss most jams by finishing well below the rim.

TruBlu
03-14-2014, 07:46 AM
A coworker of mine made the astute observation that Syracuse could wind up having to play NC State, Duke, and UNC on consecutive days. In Greensboro. Welcome to the ACC, Jim Boeheim!

Bolded part not going to happen. Go Pitt!

Henderson
03-14-2014, 08:08 AM

I want to revive throatybeard's idea of 8. (1) If you like tradition, the original ACC only had 8 teams, and IIRC there were no more than 8 teams until Florida State joined in 1991; (2) No team seeded lower than 8 has ever won the tournament anyway; and (3) Allowing only the top 8 teams into the tourney would put more emphasis on winning in the regular season (Bob Knight's longtime complaint about conference tourneys) and make the mid-conference games late in the season more meaningful and fun to watch.

I realize it compromises the ACC's chances of being a 10-bid (or 15-bid) conference, and it cuts down on revenue somewhat, but I think on balance it would be a good move.

Bob Green
03-14-2014, 08:46 AM
With the exception of (9) FSU beating (8) Maryland, the higher seeded team has won each game. Hopefully that trend continues for one more day so we can have a (1), (2), (3) and (4) Saturday. I would really like to see Virginia, Syracuse, Duke and UNC squared off to settle the ACC Championship. The odds of my wishes bearing fruit probably are not very good. Some higher seeded team is going to lose today.

killerleft
03-14-2014, 08:47 AM

With an unbalanced schedule, I don't like this idea at all. But I might be swayed if the league would stop giving a 'regular season' title. Wait, on second thought, no. The advantage to the unbalanced-league 'champion' would be too much.

devildeac
03-14-2014, 09:10 AM

Or his jacket...

http://jonesandb.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/boeheim-jacket.jpg

devildeac
03-14-2014, 09:12 AM
Historically, I miss most jams by finishing well below the rim.

Yep. Those 8 foot goals look more attractive all the time.

Or did I mean 7 foot goals:o?

OldPhiKap
03-14-2014, 09:27 AM
Yep. Those 8 foot goals look more attractive all the time.

Or did I mean 7 foot goals:o?

7 feet is a good goal for me. I'll really try hard this time, too.

Henderson
03-14-2014, 09:39 AM
With the exception of (9) FSU beating (8) Maryland, the higher seeded team has won each game. Hopefully that trend continues for one more day so we can have a (1), (2), (3) and (4) Saturday. I would really like to see Virginia, Syracuse, Duke and UNC squared off to settle the ACC Championship. The odds of my wishes bearing fruit probably are not very good. Some higher seeded team is going to lose today.

It'd be nice if it were the cheaters. They are only favored over Pitt by 0-2 points early Friday morning, depending on whose line you use. And I would really like to NOT see UNC-CH among those squaring off to settle the ACC Championship. Ever. Anywhere.

killerleft
03-14-2014, 09:46 AM
I want to revive throatybeard's idea of 8. (1) If you like tradition, the original ACC only had 8 teams, and IIRC there were no more than 8 teams until Florida State joined in 1991; (2) No team seeded lower than 8 has ever won the tournament anyway; and (3) Allowing only the top 8 teams into the tourney would put more emphasis on winning in the regular season (Bob Knight's longtime complaint about conference tourneys) and make the mid-conference games late in the season more meaningful and fun to watch.

I realize it compromises the ACC's chances of being a 10-bid (or 15-bid) conference, and it cuts down on revenue somewhat, but I think on balance it would be a good move.

There's that word again. Balance the schedule and we have a deal. Otherwise, somebody will have a legitimate beef, maybe every year.

vick
03-14-2014, 09:57 AM
There's that word again. Balance the schedule and we have a deal. Otherwise, somebody will have a legitimate beef, maybe every year.

Nobody would have a legitimate beef this year (no way Virginia's schedule was two games easier than Syracuse, and sure as hell not three games easier than Duke or UNC).

That said, I'm not sure what the horrible problem is with the way it is now. There are poorly-attended mostly-competitive games between low-ranked teams. So what? I personally don't see much value in "fixing" the issue by adding poorly-attended mostly-uncompetitive games between high-ranked teams and the conference doormats.

Kedsy
03-14-2014, 10:18 AM
Defense may not look pretty (Clemson has Great D - ranked second in nation in points allowed total) but it wins games. That's why Clemson finished 7th out of 15 acc teams instead of the usual near-last place finish for them.

First of all, Clemson finished 6th in the ACC this season, not 7th. Second, here's Clemson's regular season place finish for the last 7 years:

2014: 6th
2013: 11th
2012: 7th (out of 12 teams)
2011: 4th
2010: 5th
2009: 5th
2008: 3rd

They did finish near last in one of the seven years (and the one time was under Brownell), but I certainly wouldn't characterize that one time as "usual."

Steven43
03-14-2014, 10:37 AM
He did a great Kyle Singler impersonation with strong drives, solid D, and a couple of 3's too.

Did he impersonate Kyle's ethnicity as well? just kidding, BlueDevilBrowns. I have always found it interesting that white players are almost always compared to other white players, black to black, asian to asian...oh wait. To whom is Jeremy Lin usually compared?

Anyway, I've probably been guilty of doing the same thing many times through the years. I'm certainly not excluding myself.

UrinalCake
03-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Bolded part not going to happen. Go Pitt!

Of the top four teams, I think UNC is the most likely to be upset today, and I'm not just saying that because I hate them. Pitt is looking good now that they're healthy, and they have a lot to play for.

newclasspack
03-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Of the top four teams, I think UNC is the most likely to be upset today, and I'm not just saying that because I hate them. Pitt is looking good now that they're healthy, and they have a lot to play for.if we can make it past cuse (come on miracles) I much rather take on UNC than Pitt

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2014, 11:00 AM
if we can make it past cuse (come on miracles) I much rather take on UNC than Pitt

Just because Pitt is hungry and battling for a tournament slot? Otherwise, I'll take Pitt.

Ooopsss... just saw that it was you, Wolfpack. Sorries!

OldPhiKap
03-14-2014, 11:24 AM
if we can make it past cuse (come on miracles) I much rather take on UNC than Pitt

I would not mind seeing UVa-Pitt, and State-Duke on Saturday.

Actually, that would rock. It is a shame that we do not have home-away with State anymore, but that horse has been beaten to death.

Black Mambo
03-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Of the top four teams, I think UNC is the most likely to be upset today, and I'm not just saying that because I hate them. Pitt is looking good now that they're healthy, and they have a lot to play for.

One of my graduate students is a UNC alumn and she lost our last bet on the Duke-UNC game. As a result, she will be watching the UNC game today wearing my bold Duke sweatshirt. She's 5'2, 140 pounds..I'm 6'1, 190. Fun picture ops. If UNC loses today, I take full credit.

arnie
03-14-2014, 11:45 AM

As noted above Pack would still need to get past D or C before playing UNC or Pitt assuming they get past UVA. Also, Roy absolutely owns the Pack, think you'd be better off against Pitt.

niveklaen
03-14-2014, 12:15 PM
One of my graduate students is a UNC alumn and she lost our last bet on the Duke-UNC game. As a result, she will be watching the UNC game today wearing my bold Duke sweatshirt. She's 5'2, 140 pounds..I'm 6'1, 190. Fun picture ops. If UNC loses today, I take full credit.

Wow - graduate students really do get abused by their sponsors

Troublemaker
03-14-2014, 12:18 PM
All the spreads for today's ACCT games:

UVA -8.5 vs FSU
UNC -1 vs Pitt
Cuse -9 vs NCSU
Duke -9.5 vs Clemson

hurleyfor3
03-14-2014, 12:20 PM
All the spreads for today's ACCT games:

UVA -8.5 vs FSU
UNC -1 vs Pitt
Cuse -9 vs NCSU
Duke -9.5 vs Clemson

Wow, what can I get to parlay all the dogs? Not that I think all the faves will necessarily lose, but strong win-but-not-cover vibes from the bigger lines.

Troublemaker
03-14-2014, 12:25 PM
Wow, what can I get to parlay all the dogs? Not that I think all the faves will necessarily lose, but strong win-but-not-cover vibes from the bigger lines.

Most books would only give you a 10 to 1 payout for such a 4-team parlay. The proper payout would be 15 to 1 since 2^4 = 16.

So you would get totally screwed on the price and then you would lose the bet outright when Duke stomps Clemson by 18 tonight.

_Gary
03-14-2014, 12:37 PM
I feel really good about UNC going down today, what with Wheat not posting much. Mean's Heel nation isn't confident. And they shouldn't be. Pitt is coming in hot. :D

rsvman
03-14-2014, 12:55 PM
I feel really good about UNC going down today......
I feel really good about UNC getting beat pretty much any day.........

Oh, wait, you mean you think the chances are good? My bad, I thought you meant how it would make you FEEL if they lost. ;-)

(On a serious note, I think they could be in for a real dogfight today, too.)

Bob Green
03-14-2014, 12:56 PM
And I would really like to NOT see UNC-CH among those squaring off to settle the ACC Championship. Ever. Anywhere.

I relish the opportunity to beat UNC in the Championship Game. But first things first, so let's take care of business tonight against Clemson. I'm anticipating a great weekend of basketball regardless the opponent.

UrinalCake
03-14-2014, 12:59 PM

It's a good thing you didn't lose that bet because her sweatshirt would have been mighty tight on you.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2014, 01:30 PM
UVa in control, leading by 10 with 12 to play.

Black Mambo
03-14-2014, 01:44 PM
It's a good thing you didn't lose that bet because her sweatshirt would have been mighty tight on you.

Well, in full disclosure, I lost the first bet when we lost @UNC. I had to wear her dainty looking powder blue UNC scarf to several faculty meetings all over campus. I am pre-tenure, and I got laughed at by senior faculty (and some bold graduate students). So I have no sympathy for her.

newclasspack
03-14-2014, 02:14 PM
As noted above Pack would still need to get past D or C before playing UNC or Pitt assuming they get past UVA. Also, Roy absolutely owns the Pack, think you'd be better off against Pitt.yea I misread the bracket earlier. my bad. I rather see you guys than Clemson, only because I KNOW we will at least try in a game against duke

newclasspack
03-14-2014, 02:15 PM
I would not mind seeing UVa-Pitt, and State-Duke on Saturday.

Actually, that would rock. It is a shame that we do not have home-away with State anymore, but that horse has been beaten to death.I've been saying with the expansion there is no better time to bring back the Big 4 tourney

hurleyfor3
03-14-2014, 02:41 PM
I've been saying with the expansion there is no better time to bring back the Big 4 tourney

only if we have it in brooklyn

devildeac
03-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Go Pitt!!

hurleyfor3
03-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Pitt 25, uncch 8. The more Pitt goes up, the more depressing unc's inevitable comeback will be.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2014, 03:05 PM
Pitt 25, uncch 8. The more Pitt goes up, the more depressing unc's inevitable comeback will be.

Nah, Pitt isn't ranked anymore. UNC is doomed.

weezie
03-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Man I wish we had chat for this hole game.....

BD80
03-14-2014, 03:11 PM
7 feet is a good goal for me. I'll really try hard this time, too.

Can I use a mini-tramp as well?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2014, 03:11 PM

Or at least the first half.

jajaja

BD80
03-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Zanna with 10 rebounds against the heels?

With 4 minutes left in the 1st half?

OldPhiKap
03-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Can I use a mini-tramp as well?

Bring whatever date you want.

moonpie23
03-14-2014, 03:18 PM
paige heating up

moonpie23
03-14-2014, 03:19 PM
pitt obviously has not watched Unc much.......thought they were down to stay..

-jk
03-14-2014, 03:29 PM

OK, for those who want it, DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open for the afternoon session. We'll also open it for the entire evening session.

Go Panthers!

-jk

devildeac
03-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Zanna has 17 boards. unc has 16. Have no idea what the score is. Don't wanna know. I'll read about it later. Nothing to see here. Back to reading.

Bob Green
03-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Zanna has 17 boards.

And 12 points! He is dominant.

gofurman
03-14-2014, 04:00 PM
OK, for those who want it, DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open for the afternoon session. We'll also open it for the entire evening session.

Go Panthers!

-jk

GO PITT - my question - what is Pitt (losers of like 7 of their last 11) doing to hold UNC down to so few points? IE, what can we learn from this??????? and what can future UNC opponents learn from this? ... holding UNC to 30 some points with 10 minutes left? How exactly are they doing that? Harassing Paige? someone watching the game let us know - hopefully this is a blueprint to knock off UNC !

flyingdutchdevil
03-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Zanna has 17 boards. unc has 16. Have no idea what the score is. Don't wanna know. I'll read about it later. Nothing to see here. Back to reading.

If UNC wins, I'm blaming you. You're gettin' the "arnie is king" treatment. ;)

FYI - No idea what the score is either...

NYBri
03-14-2014, 04:02 PM

I do. :)

TexHawk
03-14-2014, 04:04 PM
GO PITT - my question - what is Pitt (losers of like 7 of their last 11) doing to hold UNC down to so few points? IE, what can we learn from this??????? and what can future UNC opponents learn from this? ... holding UNC to 30 some points with 10 minutes left? How exactly are they doing that? Harassing Paige? someone watching the game let us know - hopefully this is a blueprint to knock off UNC !

Isn't this UNC team generally pretty poor offensively? Maybe not this bad, but they are a much stronger defensive team than usual (according to Kenpom), and much worse on O.

arnie
03-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Go Pitt!!

I thought you and I were banned from posting this until 0.00 on clock.

Bob Green
03-14-2014, 04:10 PM
GO PITT - my question - what is Pitt (losers of like 7 of their last 11) doing to hold UNC down to so few points?

Pitt is dominating the glass and eliminating 2nd chance points opportunities.

arnie
03-14-2014, 04:10 PM

Oh I see that FDD has appropriately warned us!

weezie
03-14-2014, 04:16 PM
Shoot my dumb droid won't chat. And it's too quiet in this bar. At least happy hour is starting.

UrinalCake
03-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Zanna is up to 20 boards with 7-ish minutes left.

Will enjoy the IC meltdown today, and again when they finish their season with three straight losses. Get your popcorn ready!

moonpie23
03-14-2014, 04:21 PM
calls starting to go against pitt….unc pressing every second

it's not over

pfrduke
03-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Zanna is up to 20 boards with 7-ish minutes left.

Will enjoy the IC meltdown today, and again when they finish their season with three straight losses. Get your popcorn ready!

People, for pete's sake. Don't do this until the clock reads 0:00.

devildeac
03-14-2014, 04:22 PM
If UNC wins, I'm blaming you. You're gettin' the "arnie is king" treatment. ;)

That's why I posted just one stat I found very interesting/odd. After all, I am the original Christmas-ruining, puppy-kicking, child hater from earlier this year:o. Arnie is king is a mere imitator:rolleyes:. (no offense, arnie)

devildeac
03-14-2014, 04:24 PM

I thought it was "banned" from mentioning/referencing potential "upset alerts." I was merely declaring my preferred team for the afternoon:o;). Believe me, I am tiptoeing/tap dancing around this one.

gofurman
03-14-2014, 04:26 PM
I thought it was "banned" from mentioning/referencing potential "upset alerts." I was merely declaring my preferred team for the afternoon:o;). Believe me, I am tiptoeing/tap dancing around this one.

Paige w ONE assist with 5 minutes left???? how did they do that

tbyers11
03-14-2014, 04:34 PM

He only had two assists against us last weekend.

CDu
03-14-2014, 04:40 PM

It's easy. Paige is not the PG for UNC. He starts the game there, but he's a SG this year.

1999ballboy
03-14-2014, 04:41 PM
I really don't see why Paige can't play like his second half "clutch" self in the first half of games as well. Impressive as his habitual late-game heroics are, you have to wonder where that fire is the rest of the time. He's fast becoming the Andrew Luck of college basketball.

NashvilleDevil
03-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Just curious, has Pitt tried stall ball?

moonpie23
4 pt game ….58 secs left……unc's press has been killing pitt…..

CDu
It's amazing how bad the officiating has been in the second half of this game. In all aspects.

pfrduke
03-14-2014, 04:44 PM

Almost not at all. Every time they break the press (which has been rare) they've rushed up the court to try to get a layup.

CDu
03-14-2014, 04:44 PM

It's hard to play stall ball when you don't get it across half court.

MChambers
03-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Almost not at all. Every time they break the press (which has been rare) they've rushed up the court to try to get a layup.
Maybe this Coach K guy is on to something.

CDu
03-14-2014, 04:47 PM
It looks like Pitt will survive. But SAKES ALIVE are they trying to poop this one away.

Dukeblue91
03-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Is there a worse team shooting free throws at the end of games then Pitt?

pfrduke
03-14-2014, 04:48 PM
These last 7 minutes for Pitt have been a clinic on how not to finish a basketball game.

Tappan Zee Devil
03-14-2014, 04:48 PM
It would help if they could hit their foul shots

CDu
03-14-2014, 04:49 PM
These last 7 minutes for Pitt have been a clinic on how not to finish a basketball game.

They played scared. No other way to say it.

moonpie23
03-14-2014, 04:52 PM
carowhiner doesn't care about th' dang cocktail party anyhow…

chaosmage
Riiiiight...

pfrduke
They played scared. No other way to say it.

I will say this - UNC has a very strong press. We struggled with it last weekend (although not nearly this badly) and they've made things miserable on Pitt here. It's one of those things that Roy may want to think about strategically deploying at various points earlier in games.

tbyers11
03-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Following along on GameCast, did Paige actually foul out with 25 secs left as Gamecast said? If so that is really poor game management/decision-making on his and Ol' Roy's part

pfrduke
03-14-2014, 04:53 PM
I love how willing McDonough and Bilas have been to rag on the refs. Totally deserved, but it's not often that you get that level of candor from the broadcasters.

CDu
03-14-2014, 04:54 PM
Following along on GameCast, did Paige actually foul out with 25 secs left as Gamecast said? If so that is really poor game management/decision-making on his and Ol' Roy's part

Paige was surprised that they called him for the foul. UNC had no choice but to have him on the floor, though. Just bad luck that he got called for a foul down the stretch.

moonpie23
03-14-2014, 04:55 PM
and IC is DOWN

hurleyfor3
03-14-2014, 04:57 PM
IC: "Unable to Display Page". Of course not, he fouled out!

superdave
Dang. I was honestly hoping for a 3rd crack at Unc this season. I think we would have waxed them by more than 12. And we owe them after giving away the game in Chapel Hill.

I hate those guys.

dukelifer
Paige was surprised that they called him for the foul. UNC had no choice but to have him on the floor, though. Just bad luck that he got called for a foul down the stretch.

Time for Paige to think about his NBA potential. That kid is too good at the end of games.

devildeac
03-14-2014, 05:01 PM
Christmas, canines and children are safe again. Temporarily:o.

cptnflash
03-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Thankfully this will send most of the pro-UNC crowd home for the weekend and restore some sense of fairness to the venue. The sooner we get this thing out of Greensboro, the better. Bring on Brooklyn!

devildeac
03-14-2014, 05:05 PM
It would help if they could hit their foul shots

Unofficially, 21-41 looking at espn gamecast. That is wretched. If they shoot ~65%, there's a whole lot less worry in Panther (and Blue Devil) nation/s.

jacone21
03-14-2014, 05:09 PM
Thankfully this will send most of the pro-UNC crowd home for the weekend and restore some sense of fairness to the venue. The sooner we get this thing out of Greensboro, the better. Bring on Brooklyn!

You know... I was going to say something snarky about all the UNC fans that would be rooting against us tonight, but after what I just did for the last hour or so... well... I can't really say anything. Pot, kettle, and all that.

The Gordog
03-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Dang. I was honestly hoping for a 3rd crack at Unc this season. I think we would have waxed them by more than 12. And we owe them after giving away the game in Chapel Hill.

I hate those guys.

My second favorite team just won. The earlier and oftener carowhina loses the happier I feel!

rsvman
03-14-2014, 05:19 PM
Pittsburgh failed in their attempt to throw a perfectly good game away.

I don't think Dixon did a very good job of coaching them. End of the first half, a perfect 2-for-1 situation, up 12, with the ball, about 59 seconds left. What did they do? Wasted the entire shot clock, then jacked up a contested circus shot, allowing UNC the last shot to cut the lead to 10.

End of the game, what did they do against the press? Point guard catches the inbounds pass, UNC players not yet in trap position, but moving toward it; point guard could easily split the two defenders and head upcourt before they set the trap. Instead, he backs up and holds the ball, as if in an effort to make sure that the UNC players are able to establish an effective trap. And this happened over and over again. It was as if they had never had a session in practice about how to break a zone-trap press.

Finally, free-throw shooting. Just abysmal.

Oh, well. A win is a win. If I'm UVa, I'm thinking hard about running a trap press off and on at random times throughout my game tomorrow with Pitt.

jdj4duke
03-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Riiiiight...

IC overwhelmed with a zillion threads on-
The refs
The officials
The zebras
The striped shirts
Can't win 8 vs 5
Pitt got away with thuggery and UNC(heat) got called for nothing but touch fouls
Never should have to play them all the way in G'boro since it's a home game for Pitt
Etc.

And I have to disagree a bit with Gminski saying the Ewes showed lots of heart. They showed nada for 14 minutes. And Pitt looked like they played on Ambien for the last 6 or 7 minutes. That free throw shooting looked like a kid's league. And as noted up the thread- what the heck with Paige. Waits till things are down the drain (or apparently so) to get all fired up? Nice to be a clutch player and all that, but every game you wait till the second half to decide you're going to have an impact? Very odd. No mistake, he's very good, even scary , but just doesn't appear to want to own the entire game. It's worth the anxiety of waiting for Pitt to dispatch them by a handful instead of 20 so that IC can play a few days of what if and if only-

wsb3
03-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Last ill fated question for Roy's press conference was about the tourney being away from NC the next 3 years. Roy was not in the dadgum spirit to answer such a foolish question.

JBDuke
03-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Overheard in Bubba Cunningham's office:

"Well, if we can't win with academic integrity, at least we can still win."

"Sir, our boys just lost to Pitt in their ACC Tournament opener."

"@*#$&*!!!"

Troublemaker
03-14-2014, 05:44 PM

I think Duke has benefitted from the tournament being held so often in NC. Homecourt advantage isn't just the crowd. Being located just an hour away from Greensboro has helped us. (I do agree that moving things to the NY area hurts UNC more than Duke).

PSurprise
03-14-2014, 05:45 PM

Actually, this was very poor coaching on Roy's part. They called a timeout after a basket. They could have subbed for Paige to take him while they were on defense. They had two more timeouts available that they could have called to bring him back in for O. Instead, Roy left him out there and he fouled out.

Too bad.

:)

Furniture
03-14-2014, 05:46 PM
Ticket prices from the scalpers for tomorrow just took a dive...

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-14-2014, 05:53 PM
I think Duke has benefitted from the tournament being held so often in NC. Homecourt advantage isn't just the crowd. Being located just an hour away from Greensboro has helped us. (I do agree that moving things to the NY area hurts UNC more than Duke).

It's all about the money.

devildeac
03-14-2014, 06:33 PM
Roy is not in the dadgum Ides of March spirit.

devildeac
03-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Friend of mine who grew up a Pitt fan said his son is at the Greensboro Coliseum and heard the Duke fans chanting "Let's Go Pitt" with all the Pitt fans. Gotta love it.

NYBri
03-14-2014, 06:56 PM
Friend of mine who grew up a Pitt fan said his son is at the Greensboro Coliseum and heard the Duke fans chanting "Let's Go Pitt" with all the Pitt fans. Gotta love it.

And that's news?

Indoor66
03-14-2014, 07:00 PM

He11, I'd chant Let's Go Satan!

brevity
03-14-2014, 07:00 PM
Roy is not in the dadgum Ides of March spirit.

That was my line if they lost tomorrow! But since they lost on March 14, the best we got is "Roy is not the dadgum Pi Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi_Day) spirit."

Whatever happens in the NCAA Tournament, I'm really looking forward to talking about Roy on April 20.

NYBri
03-14-2014, 07:14 PM
Pack can beat Cuse'.

brevity
03-14-2014, 07:15 PM
Oh, Roy. Such a character. From the ESPN game recap (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400546248):

"I'm always a guy who thinks we're going to come back from anything," UNC coach Roy Williams said. "I thought this was going to be one of the great finishes. I really believed that. Some people think I'm a little wacko anyway."

NYBri
03-14-2014, 07:15 PM
I want CJ Fair to graduate and then come play for us. :-)

OldPhiKap
03-14-2014, 07:28 PM
Oh, Roy. Such a character. From the ESPN game recap (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400546248):

But Roy, it WAS a great ending . . . .

Wildling
03-14-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm pulling for Syracuse. Dadgummit! I want to see the rubber match!

devildeac
03-14-2014, 07:30 PM
And that's news?

Nah. Just wanted to report payback/karma is a female dog, wolf, fox, or otter.;)

devildeac
03-14-2014, 07:33 PM
That was my line if they lost tomorrow! But since they lost on March 14, the best we got is "Roy is not the dadgum Pi Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi_Day) spirit."

Whatever happens in the NCAA Tournament, I'm really looking forward to talking about Roy on April 20.

Usually, you are much quicker and wittier than I am;). You snooze, you lose. The earlier they lose, the happier I am. :D

DukieInKansas
03-14-2014, 07:33 PM

Do they know what Pi is? Wouldn't that require going to class? ;):D

devildeac
03-14-2014, 07:34 PM

Some people:confused::confused:.

DU82
03-14-2014, 07:35 PM
Do they know what Pi is? Wouldn't that require going to class? ;):D

I believe Kennedy Meeks was very familiar with it well before coming to Chapel Hill.

cbarry
03-14-2014, 07:50 PM
You assume we will beat Clemson, the only team left who we haven't beaten all year. Clemson is going to give us a LOT of trouble. We will be fortunate to pull out a win. I am not confident we can beat the Tigers.
I'm pulling for Syracuse. Dadgummit! I want to see the rubber match!

NashvilleDevil
03-14-2014, 07:53 PM
You assume we will beat Clemson, the only team left who we haven't beaten all year. Clemson is going to give us a LOT of trouble. We will be fortunate to pull out a win. I am not confident we can beat the Tigers.

Why? Duke will handle business tonight.

NYBri
03-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Cuse' meet State. This IS a Tobacco Road.

NYBri
03-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Nah. Just wanted to report payback/karma is a female dog, wolf, fox, or otter.;)

Female otters are witches with a "b"?

cbarry
03-14-2014, 07:59 PM
Why? Duke will handle business tonight.
I HOPE you're right. We looked like downright stink when we played Clemson earlier this season. Hopefully the "good" Duke team shows up tonight, not the one that lost against WF, ND, Clemson, & Vermont (yes, technically we beat Vermont, but that game really should be counted as a loss)

If we beat Clemson, I really like our chances against the rest of the field. Clemson will be our toughest game.

NashvilleDevil
03-14-2014, 08:03 PM
I HOPE you're right. We looked like downright stink when we played Clemson earlier this season. Hopefully the "good" Duke team shows up tonight, not the one that lost against WF, ND, Clemson, & Vermont (yes, technically we beat Vermont, but that game really should be counted as a loss)

If we beat Clemson, I really like our chances against the rest of the field. Clemson will be our toughest game.

Um Duke played Clemson three months ago. That has no bearing on tonight.

cbarry
03-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Ok, if you say so... Guess we will all find out in another few hours. I hope we represent better than we did 2 months ago against Clemson.

Um Duke played Clemson three months ago. That has no bearing on tonight.

devildeac
03-14-2014, 08:09 PM

I dunno. I just Google stuff.

"I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.
biCH/Submit
noun
a female dog, wolf, fox, or otter."

From one of the on-line dictionaries. :o

FerryFor50
03-14-2014, 08:11 PM

All the otters I've ever known have been...