PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs. Kentucky

Bluedawg
09-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Being a southerner I love Bar-Bee-Q. Now, when I say Bar-Bee-Q I don’t mean grilling hamburgers and hotdogs…that is not Bar-Bee-Q. I’m talking about pork or beef Bar-Bee-Q slow cooked and served with either a tomato or vinegar sauce.

So, here is my question. What is your Favorite type of Bar-Bee-Q…pork or beef, and do you prefer a vinegar base or tomato base?

throatybeard
09-06-2007, 09:39 PM
The choices in the poll don't necessarily contradict each other. They're not mutually exclusive.

Bluedawg
09-06-2007, 10:41 PM
The choices in the poll don't necessarily contradict each other. They're not mutually exclusive.

Not really. People have stong feelings about BBQ. Some will only eat vinegar base and some swear that if it isn't tomato base it isn't BBQ. NC is split down the middle with Eastern NC eating vinegar and western eating tomato. As a Georgia boy i grew up with tomato base.

For a southerner BBQ is a major deal.

cspan37421
09-06-2007, 10:45 PM
I voted for pork and tomato base. IIRC the NC type is vinegar base and it's OK, but a little strong for my taste. I like the sweet smokey sauce - don't know where that comes from. KC or Memphis?

I once went to a real pig pickin' in rural NC. Half of a pig, sliced lengthwise down the middle, cooking all day on one of those barrel shaped BBQ cookers. Wow was that good - even with vinegar based sauce. Sorry if that sounds barbaric but it's the circle of life!

A-Tex Devil
09-06-2007, 10:54 PM
This is easy. Go to any of about a half dozen places in the Texas hill country and you'll get the best pork chop, pork ribs, brisket and smoked sausage you've ever had.

If you can only go to one, though, go to Cooper's in Llano, Texas with Moeller's in Taylor Texas coming in close second.

I enjoy the NC Barbecue and all, but it's a one trick pony (pulled pork). I'll take the whole chop and a few ribs on the side, thank you.

Lavabe
09-06-2007, 11:06 PM

Please refer to 16A in your DBR Handy Pocket Reference guide.

And what does one drink with BBQ?
Cheers,
Lavabe

hc5duke
09-06-2007, 11:56 PM
...Texas...

You had me at Texas :)

P.S. going to Houston tomorrow to visit my aunt (actually midnight tonight, get there around 6am), totally psyched, woot!

DevilAlumna
09-07-2007, 01:50 AM
Please refer to 16A in your DBR Handy Pocket Reference guide.

Why, Swayt Tay of course! :D

None better than that found in McMinnville's in Daleville, Alabama!

Indoor66
09-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Why, Swayt Tay of course! :D

None better than that found in McMinnville's in Daleville, Alabama!

Vinager based with sides of Brusnwick Stew and FF and sweet tea or cheerwine.

EarlJam
09-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Great poll Bluedawg! I voted pork, vinegar based. It has long been a tradition of EarlJam to have the following as my first NCAA March Madness Tournament meal:

1 plate of: Pork BBQ, with fries, hush puppies, cole slaw and baked beans.

Awesome.

Jfrosh
09-07-2007, 10:36 AM
They are two totally different foods. Tomato based B-B-Q is probably my favorite food and eat it all the time, but every time I go back to Durham for a game I always stop and get some Carolina barbeque and Brunswick stew.

EarlJam
09-07-2007, 10:40 AM
They are two totally different foods. Tomato based B-B-Q is probably my favorite food and eat it all the time, but every time I go back to Durham for a game I always stop and get some Carolina barbeque and Brunswick stew.

Brunswick stew is the stew of the gods. It's perfect. God how I love Brunswick stew! Always best to have it homemade, but have you tried Mrs. Fenwick's (sp) Brunswick stew - in the yellow can at the grocery store?

Good stuff. No. GREAT stuff!

I'm hungry.

-EarlJam

captmojo
09-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Brunswick stew is the stew of the gods. It's perfect. God how I love Brunswick stew! Always best to have it homemade, but have you tried Mrs. Fenwick's (sp) Brunswick stew - in the yellow can at the grocery store?

Good stuff. No. GREAT stuff!

I'm hungry.

-EarlJam

I assume that this brand follows government guidelines for content of rat and squirrel?

edensquad
09-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Best ribs ever: Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa, Alabama when my wife was in law school there.

Best chopped BBQ: either of the Bridges BBQ (Red or Alston) in Shelby, N.C.

**mmmmmmmmmm **:D

Johnboy
09-07-2007, 12:01 PM
<old coot> Back in my day, this thread would have been named "Duke v. Kentucky" and it would have been ON-topic. </old coot>

allenmurray
09-07-2007, 12:27 PM
<old coot> Back in my day, this thread would have been named "Duke v. Kentucky" and it would have been ON-topic. </old coot>

I was thinking the same thing. What is the world coming to when a thread on DBR about smoked meat products is titled anything other than Duke vs. Kentucky? How can it be featured anywhere other than the on-topic board? I think we are seeing the demise of DBR. This is a moral failing of the highest order on the part of the moderators. I had always been under the impression that threads about BBQ were always to be titled Duke vs. Kentucky and were always on-topic. The next thing you know people will start cheering for UNC.

It makes me sad. This is worse than Elvis' death. I think I am going to be sick.

-jk
09-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Sorry. Asleep at the wheel. World order has been restored.

-jk

allenmurray
09-07-2007, 12:35 PM
post withdrawn due to wisdom of moderators

mph
09-07-2007, 12:51 PM
This is easy. Go to any of about a half dozen places in the Texas hill country and you'll get the best pork chop, pork ribs, brisket and smoked sausage you've ever had.

If you can only go to one, though, go to Cooper's in Llano, Texas with Moeller's in Taylor Texas coming in close second.

I enjoy the NC Barbecue and all, but it's a one trick pony (pulled pork). I'll take the whole chop and a few ribs on the side, thank you.

Amen and amen! I haven't had Coopers or Moeller's, but my two favorite joints are Angelo's in Ft. Worth (best pork ribs I've ever had) and Kreuz Market in Lockhart (best brisket).

mph
09-07-2007, 12:54 PM
I should have added that I was disappointed in Sonny Bryan's (Dallas) which was fine, but not worth half the hype.

Teton Jack
09-07-2007, 02:14 PM
I've lived in North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Kansas. I've enjoyed barbecue everywhere - except Texas. Never could find a decent place. My favorite - Kansas City; 2nd place - Memphis, 3rd - Lexington, NC.

Tommac
09-07-2007, 02:35 PM
For any of you near Burlington, J&G Barbecue on North Church St in East Burlington had the best BBQ around until their building burned down about 1-2 years ago. I just found out that J&G is going to reopen in October in the old Huey's Resturaunt building in the Food Lion Shopping Center on South Church St in west Burlington. Can't wait.

A-Tex Devil
09-07-2007, 03:03 PM
I've lived in North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Kansas. I've enjoyed barbecue everywhere - except Texas. Never could find a decent place. My favorite - Kansas City; 2nd place - Memphis, 3rd - Lexington, NC.

Therein lies the problem with Texas BBQ. The market is saturated. While I still insist the quality and variety you get at a great Texas Pit BBQ establishment (especially in the smaller towns) is second to none, Texas also has to lead the way in mediocre and downright bad BBQ joints.

I need to try the ones in Ft. Worth. If you ever spend any amount of time in San Antonio or Austin, though, you should make the trek to Llano, Lockhart, Taylor, Luling, Elgin, Marble Falls, etc. etc. and take in the pure excellence.

Johnboy
09-07-2007, 03:32 PM
For the best Eastern North Carolina style 'cue, the place is Skylight Inn (http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/jnt4.htm) in Ayden. Just don't expect anything but 'cue and cornbread.

duketaylor
09-07-2007, 03:41 PM
That would be "Mrs. Fearnows" which is produced here in Mechanicsville, Va, which is an excellent commercial product, IMO. Hard to beat it, even from scratch. As far as the poll, surprised noone has mentioned the popular South Carolina tradition of mustard-based BBQ. Don't prefer that to Eastern NC BBQ, but I thought I'd mention it. I've had little experience with brisket and the KC version of "burnt ends" that I've seen on the food network. Or Memphis style, for that matter.

Olympic Fan
09-07-2007, 04:41 PM

I have enjoyed my exposure to the smoked meats they serve in Texas, but by definition, that's not barbeque.

The terms were defined by the Texans themselves -- I was at the national chili cookoff and was informed that the only "stew" that can officially be called chili is the beef and red sauce that was developed in Texas. If you put beans in it or any other kind of meat, it's not officially chili.

By those terms, North Carolina-style pulled pork is the original barbeque. It's the same meat and same method that the pre-Columbian Indians used (although in addition to pig, they also smoked fish ... but never beef). The smoked meat variations they've developed in Texas are nice, but they aren't barbeque.

Indoor66
09-07-2007, 04:53 PM
By those terms, North Carolina-style pulled pork is the original barbeque.

What is the origin of the term "pulled pork." In my many years in and out of NC we had sliced or chopped BBQ. Never heard "pulled pork" until I got to Florida in the oughts.

cspan37421
09-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Pulled Pork, my guess at etymology: after you cook the pork (Boston Butt in a crock pot is good for up to medium-sized batches), you shred it apart using a couple forks, pulling in opposite directions from your "point of attack".

For the record, I love Brunswick stew! Around here I get it at chain BBQ places like Smokey Bones, but it is very good there. I also confess to liking Sticky Fingers BBQ, another chain, but at least it started here in the Chattanooga area (does that make it less of a chain restaurant, if you live in the town where it started?).

Before I first had Brunswick stew (in NC, during Duke days) I had something similar called "burgoo". It is a type of BBQ stew I used to get when I was in HS in western KY. When I lived in CT I used to have it shipped to me. My SO (from Jaw-Juh) didn't like it though.

Bob Green
09-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Cheers,
Lavabe

Beer and then another beer. With my vinegar based pork BBQ of course.

Bluedawg
09-07-2007, 11:50 PM
...but Duke vs. Kentucky? Please put it back to "Favorite type of Bar-Bee-Q" if you don't mind

Bluedawg
09-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Great poll Bluedawg! I voted pork, vinegar based. It has long been a tradition of EarlJam to have the following as my first NCAA March Madness Tournament meal:

1 plate of: Pork BBQ, with fries, hush puppies, cole slaw and baked beans.

Awesome.

I'm with you but i prefer boiled potatos to baked beans.

Bluedawg
09-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Pulled Pork, my guess at etymology: after you cook the pork (Boston Butt in a crock pot is good for up to medium-sized batches), you shred it apart using a couple forks, pulling in opposite directions from your "point of attack".

For the record, I love Brunswick stew! Around here I get it at chain BBQ places like Smokey Bones, but it is very good there. I also confess to liking Sticky Fingers BBQ, another chain, but at least it started here in the Chattanooga area (does that make it less of a chain restaurant, if you live in the town where it started?).

Before I first had Brunswick stew (in NC, during Duke days) I had something similar called "burgoo". It is a type of BBQ stew I used to get when I was in HS in western KY. When I lived in CT I used to have it shipped to me. My SO (from Jaw-Juh) didn't like it though.

OOOOOH Brunswick stew! heaven on earth! But imitation Brunswick stew...your SO was correct!

duketaylor
09-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Pulled pork is just that, you pull it off the bone and don't cut it in any way. So you have long, thin pieces of meat. Have had it several times at various joints in Va and NC. I'm with Bob Green and the beverage of choice; Ozzie would agree;)
GO DUKE!! Beat the 'hoos!!

-jk
09-08-2007, 06:11 PM
...but Duke vs. Kentucky? Please put it back to "Favorite type of Bar-Bee-Q" if you don't mind

DBR has a long standing tradition of having all BBQ discussions under this subject heading. It's also the only "off-topic" topic that's always on topic.

-jk

Bluedawg
09-08-2007, 07:41 PM
For the best Eastern North Carolina style 'cue, the place is Skylight Inn (http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/jnt4.htm) in Ayden. Just don't expect anything but 'cue and cornbread.

Actually it's Knightdale Seafood and BBQ (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g49263-d444987-r8053536-Knightdale_Seafood_and_BBQ-Knightdale_North_Carolina.html)

Wow!!! Excellent food and a great price. You can't beat this deal. This is a great restaurant for a family, a traveller or just a night out for great food. You can't go wrong here. They will accomodate you if you have special dietary needs....I am a diabetic and asked one of the owners, Phyllis, for a little help with a menu selection that would stay within my dietary guidelines and she was very helpful. The kitchen was very mindful of my condition and was able to serve me an excellent diabetic meal!!!!! Very good food. Excellent service. I will go back and eat anytime I am in the Raleigh area!!!! Bravo!

gadzooks
09-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Dammit, now I have to go out and get me a Boston butt and fire up the crockpot. Good thing we just finished up that batch of chili (with beans, thank you very much, and I will brook no discussion on that).

allenmurray
09-11-2007, 12:44 PM

After five years I finally feel like an "old-timer". Thanks Bluedawg, for giving me the opportunity to say, "kids these days . . . what are things coming to?"

elvis14
09-12-2007, 02:40 PM
You can add me to the camp that says if it ain't vinegar based pulled pork, it ain't Q.

Zeb
09-12-2007, 07:59 PM
I never took advantage of my four years in Durham to really seek out great local cuisine. I went to Bullock's a fair amount and thought it was damn good, but I rarely see it mentioned in these threads.

For the true afficianados: Where does Bullock's rank in terms of quality (e.g. how many stars on a 5 star scale)?

Lavabe
09-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Beer and then another beer. With my vinegar based pork BBQ of course.

You are correct sir, yes!!

But name me a fine establishment that offers both. Seems as though the good pork/vinegar cue joints opt for DA's SWAYT TAY.

For ribs, I used to love going to KC Masterpiece in St. Louis, have ribs, onion straws, and Schlafly Oatmeal Stout. Unfortunately Throaty, it closed a few years ago.

Cheers,
Lavabe

fan345678
09-12-2007, 10:38 PM
some info on NC q:

Western NC Q suffers from two stereotypes. A lot of Western NC q gets pegged as "ketchuppy" simply because Lexington Barbecue (a.k.a. the Honey Monk) in Lexington is very well known and has a very tomatoey sauce. Additionally, people assume that "tomatoey" also means "thick sauce."

In reality, a lot of Western NC q is not nearly as tomatoey as Lexington, but is also not as vinegary as Eastern Q. Meanwhile, even the Honey Monk itself has a very thin sauce, as do most Western NC places.

The biggest traditional difference is that Western places primarily use pork shoulders while Eastern places primarily use the entire pig. Also, some of the most popular Eastern places do such high volume that they no longer use wood (Wilbur's in Goldsboro, for example), so you lose some of the smoky flavor. One of my favorite Eastern places is Allen & Son, on 86 between Hillsborough and that town south of Hillsborough with the light blue fire trucks. They still cut their own Hickory wood.

Of course, Skylight Inn in Ayden (as someone mentioned above) is legendary, but I've never had a chance to make it down there. Someone also mentioned Bridges in Shelby, which are very well known, and you may want to check out Audie's in Cherryville, BBQ King in Lincolnton, Woodlands in Banner Elk, or 12 Bones in Asheville for something Western but not too Lexington, although the Honey Monk and many other places in and around Lexington are very good (especially the slaw). If you like clogging (the dance, not the effect on your arteries), check out Sims between Hickory and Lenoir.

Johnboy
09-13-2007, 07:08 AM
This is a reply to Zeb's post above entitled "Bullocks?"

I don't know that I'm a true aficianado, but I've always liked Bullocks. The only problem is that they don't cook with hardwood coals, but over gas. Allen & Son in Chappaheeya, Stamey's (Lexington style) in Greensboro, Wilbur's in Goldsboro and Skylight Inn in Ayden all cook with hardwood coals, and appear consistently on lists of favored 'cue joints. Bullock's is a great 'cue experience though - great sides (especially the Brunswick stew!).

This guy puts Bullocks at the top (http://www.hkentcraig.com/BBQ.html), ahead of the places mentioned above (hey, everybody has an opinion). I agree wtih this guy about B's Barbecue in Greenville - it's great stuff, even though it's cooked on a gas pit.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-13-2007, 08:01 AM
I never took advantage of my four years in Durham to really seek out great local cuisine. I went to Bullock's a fair amount and thought it was damn good, but I rarely see it mentioned in these threads.

For the true afficianados: Where does Bullock's rank in terms of quality (e.g. how many stars on a 5 star scale)?

"Back in the day" Bullock's was ok, but in the last few years I have tried to talk friends out of eating there when visiting Derm. I have been very disappointed with both the Q and the fried chicken, their two staples, on "forced" visits with friends who didn't believe me how bad it had gotten.

Johnboy
09-13-2007, 08:25 AM
In light of Ozzie's post, I myust say that I haven't eaten at Bullock's for a few (maybe more than a few) years.

Lavabe
09-13-2007, 10:07 AM
In light of Ozzie's post, I myust say that I haven't eaten at Bullock's for a few (maybe more than a few) years.

So where does one go to get BBQ in Durham? When I visit, the only alternative I'm aware of is that place on Guess Road by the Pizza Hut.

As low as you might rank it, it's still light years ahead of imitation NC-style BBQ joints that we have here in Atlanta.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Indoor66
09-13-2007, 10:13 AM
So where does one go to get BBQ in Durham? When I visit, the only alternative I'm aware of is that place on Guess Road by the Pizza Hut.

As low as you might rank it, it's still light years ahead of imitation NC-style BBQ joints that we have here in Atlanta.

Cheers,
Lavabe

I have mentioned this place before: "Ole NC Bar-B-Que at the south end of North Duke Mall (between N. Duke St. & Roxboro Rd. - North of the Hospital). Faye and Chester Heath (both life long Duke fans) cook and chop their own Q on site; have menu service or a buffet; have all the accouterments for a good Q restaurant and also serve unsweetened tea if you ask. They used to a large catering business as well.

DevilAlumna
09-13-2007, 02:43 PM

Cheers,
Lavabe

At least you have imitation NC-style BBQ joints.

All we have are imitation BBQ joints, period. They wouldn't know a regional style if it walked up and covered them in sweet, tomato-based sauce.

Johnboy
09-13-2007, 04:52 PM
DevilAlumna has as many posts as Carroll Youngkin (http://www.dukeupdate.com/Alumni/carroll_youngkin.htm)had rebounds. Congrats.

Lavabe
09-13-2007, 05:03 PM
At least you have imitation NC-style BBQ joints.

All we have are imitation BBQ joints, period. They wouldn't know a regional style if it walked up and covered them in sweet, tomato-based sauce.

True.

I still can't get used to ordering arguably vinegar-based, pork bbq, but then have the server bring an assortment of tomato-based sauces.

What's up with that?

If I ask for a sandwich w/slaw, the slaw goes on the side???

Huh??
Cheers,
Lavabe

Indoor66
09-13-2007, 05:05 PM
In Ft. Lauderdale we have Dixie Pig on Dixie Hwy - south of Commercial. Stopped there today and picked up some Q & Slaw - and will add the Texas Pete at home. It is a pretty good NC style Q.