PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Other Conference Tournaments

Wander
03-09-2014, 06:11 PM
One of my favorite parts of the season is the small tournaments that are essentially playoffs.

Wisconsin Green Bay was upset yesterday. That's PROBABLY not an at-large bid stolen away, but they do have a win against UVA and a decent overall profile.

Our favorite team, Vermont, steamrolled their conference in the regular season but is down double digits in the second half of their semifinal game.

tommy
03-09-2014, 08:26 PM
One of my favorite parts of the season is the small tournaments that are essentially playoffs.

Wisconsin Green Bay was upset yesterday. That's PROBABLY not an at-large bid stolen away, but they do have a win against UVA and a decent overall profile.

Our favorite team, Vermont, steamrolled their conference in the regular season but is down double digits in the second half of their semifinal game.

If I have time to do a full update on the Bubble later tonight or tomorrow I will, but I don't think Green Bay is going to have the resume to get an at-large bid, unfortunately.

Wander
03-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Yeah, my first impression without thinking about it too hard is to agree with you. Nice win over UVA, but not a whole lot else there.

Davidson and Vermont just lost as well. The absence of those three teams is going to make big first round upsets a little bit less likely.

brevity
03-09-2014, 08:31 PM

Davidson and Vermont just lost as well. The absence of those three teams is going to make big first round upsets a little bit less likely.

You should add a fourth: Florida Gulf Coast, the flavor of 2013. They lost the Atlantic Sun title to Mercer today. Warren Buffett is getting nervous.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Headed to the Southern Conference tournament final tomorrow night here in Asheville. Always good fun, and with WCU in the final, should be a great crowd.

CDu
03-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Anyone else expecting us to get NCCU as our first game?

Reilly
03-09-2014, 10:03 PM
William & Mary plays in the CAA championship game Monday night. W&M is coached by former UNC player Tony Shaver, and it will be playing Delaware (formerly coached by Brey and David Henderson -- what's Henderson doing these days?). W&M is one of the "forgotten five" (schools that have never made the NCAA D1 tourney: Army, The Citadel, Northwestern, and St. Francis being the others) (I guess that's schools that have been around and eligible since the tourney began in, what, 1939?).

http://www.wm.edu/news/stories/2014/tony-shaver.php

burnspbesq
03-10-2014, 11:10 AM
For the first time ever, Stanford was not in the championship game of the PAC-12 women's tournament. Fifth-seeded USC, who upset the Cardinal on Saturday night, rode a big second-half run to a nine-point win over Oregon State.

The women of Troy will likely be a nine or ten seed, and they're pretty dangerous at that level. I wouldn't be shocked to see them win their first game.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-11-2014, 06:30 AM
So Con final in Asheville last night was lots of fun. Great crowd in a small stadium, two rather surprising finalists, both campuses a relatively short drive from the game.

Wofford jumped on WCU early. Neither team was an offensive juggernaut, but both were extremely scrappy. WCU fought back admirably, and if they had hit a decent percentage of shots from within 5 feet of the basket, they would have won by double digits.

But they didn't. Somehow, it felt like thy shot 15% in the paint. Yet, they were in position to take a good look at a 3 to take it to overtime, but missed. This means Your Wofford Terriers will represent the Once ACC Laden Southern Conference in the NCAA tourney.

Two takeaways:

1) Small conference tourney finals are friggin awesome. The energy of the crowd and the players was really something. Very cool to see a team of guys who don't get the UNC institutional treatment play hard for the chance to go up against the Big Boys and try to shock the world.

2) Wofford's surprise victory and passionate fans meant I got to see the other side of the "rushing the court" argument. After the final buzzer, there was an extremely organized and methodically slow onslaught of fans who queued up to take the floor. It was kinda cute.

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2014 Wofford Terriers.

mattman91
03-11-2014, 11:02 AM
So Con final in Asheville last night was lots of fun. Great crowd in a small stadium, two rather surprising finalists, both campuses a relatively short drive from the game.

Wofford jumped on WCU early. Neither team was an offensive juggernaut, but both were extremely scrappy. WCU fought back admirably, and if they had hit a decent percentage of shots from within 5 feet of the basket, they would have won by double digits.

But they didn't. Somehow, it felt like thy shot 15% in the paint. Yet, they were in position to take a good look at a 3 to take it to overtime, but missed. This means Your Wofford Terriers will represent the Once ACC Laden Southern Conference in the NCAA tourney.

Two takeaways:

1) Small conference tourney finals are friggin awesome. The energy of the crowd and the players was really something. Very cool to see a team of guys who don't get the UNC institutional treatment play hard for the chance to go up against the Big Boys and try to shock the world.

2) Wofford's surprise victory and passionate fans meant I got to see the other side of the "rushing the court" argument. After the final buzzer, there was an extremely organized and methodically slow onslaught of fans who queued up to take the floor. It was kinda cute.

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2014 Wofford Terriers.

I was about to head over to watch this game, but decided my couch would be more comfortable.

Reilly
03-12-2014, 10:42 PM
unofficial slogans for conferences ....

http://www.sportspickle.com/2014/03/unofficial-slogans-every-college-basketball-conference

loran16
03-12-2014, 10:59 PM
For those who are interested, NC Central is the heavy favorite to come out of the MEAC.

They started their attempt to make their first tournament by CRUSHING Howard in the Quarterfinals 92-46. Not sure if he'd leave, but LeVelle Moton should seriously be considered for other coaching jobs after this year's performance.

throatybeard
03-12-2014, 11:46 PM
The ACCT makes me feel like I'm watching other people's conference tournaments. Mainly the Big East's.

Cameron
03-13-2014, 01:16 AM
Stanford in action in the Pac-12 tournament right now. The Cardinal are tied with Washington State at 47 with under 10 minutes to play.

This is potentially a career-altering game for Johnny Dawkins. Win and Stanford is in the NCAA tournament. Lose and Johnny might possibly be out a job without ever having reached the Big Dance in six years as a head coach (most analysts believe Stanford needs at least one victory in the conference tournament to stave off NCAA elimination).

Cameron
03-13-2014, 01:55 AM
Stanford advances. The Cardinal will face Arizona State later tonight at 11:30 p.m. on FS1.

Tonight's victory should propel Johnny to his first NCAA appearance. Congrats to him and Coach Schrage.

Cameron
03-13-2014, 02:09 AM
After looking further into Stanford's résumé, perhaps I am early on the felicitations.

Stanford
Record: 20-11
RPI: 45
vs. RPI Top 25: 0-3
vs. RPI Top 50: 4-8
Best Wins: UConn, @Oregon, Arizona State, UCLA

While Stanford should be safe since most think the Pac-12 is a six-bid league, if the Cardinal lose tonight and a team with a similar résumé such as Utah or Cal advances to the Pac-12 title game or wins the whole thing, then there might be some cause for concern.

hurleyfor3
03-13-2014, 02:13 AM
While Stanford should be safe since most think the Pac-12 is a six-bid league, if the Cardinal lose tonight and a team with a similar résumé such as Utah or Cal advances to the Pac-12 tittle game or wins the whole thing, then there might be some cause for concern.

There's nothing terrible, though. The only thing you can call a bad loss is @Oregon State. Which is roughly in @Wake territory.

tommy
03-13-2014, 02:15 AM
The committee doesn't decide in advance how many bids a given conference is going to get. What they're supposed to do, and what they say they in fact do, is compare teams to each other. This means that Stanford isn't just competing against Utah and Cal, but against other teams whose resumes are similar to theirs, such as BYU, Tennessee, Minnesota, Nebraska, St. Joseph's, Dayton, and others.

Cameron
03-13-2014, 02:19 AM
The committee doesn't decide in advance how many bids a given conference is going to get. What they're supposed to do, and what they say they in fact do, is compare teams to each other. This means that Stanford isn't just competing against Utah and Cal, but against other teams whose resumes are similar to theirs, such as BYU, Tennessee, Minnesota, Nebraska, St. Joseph's, Dayton, and others.

Yeah, I realize that. I am just saying that if, for example, Utah runs the table in the Pac-12 tournament and secures a bid, there might not be enough room for the conference to get more than six bids (assuming the first five are locks), depending on how the rest of the teams in that "bubble territory" fare across the country and ultimately stack up with Stanford. In that case, it's possible a Utah run could pop Stanford's bubble.

jlmorgan84
03-13-2014, 10:47 AM
First time poster here, but my terriers making the tournament has brought me out of obscurity. As both a Wofford and Duke graduate I'd love to see the Terriers matched up against Duke in a 1st round game one year. I Don't know if that has a chance of happening this year or not.

For those who follow Wofford basketball, our conference championship does not come as a surprise. Because of their great run many folks think the SoCon is a practice league for Davidson, but that isn't the case. We've won the championship three out of the past five years. We even came close to knocking of Wisconsin in our first year in the NCAA tournament. Get used to seeing the terriers in your bracket!

Go Duke and Go Terriers!

sporthenry
03-13-2014, 12:57 PM
Nova down 8 to Seton Hall at the half. For overreacting to a single half, this confirms what some of us thought about them. And you want to talk about live by the 3, die by the 3 team.

Nova also has an 18-2 FT shooting discrepancy. Hate to see what would happen if that was Duke.

CDu
03-13-2014, 01:01 PM
Nova down 8 to Seton Hall at the half. For overreacting to a single half, this confirms what some of us thought about them. And you want to talk about live by the 3, die by the 3 team.

Nova also has an 18-2 FT shooting discrepancy. Hate to see what would happen if that was Duke.

Since you broke the ice on this one, I'll chime in as well. it would be VERY interesting to see what a loss to a .500 team like Seton Hall would do to Villanova's resume. Right now, their entire argument is that they have beaten a bunch of okay teams and have only lost (albeit VERY badly) to top-25 teams. If they were to lose today, that argument loses a lot of steam. And when you look at their resume from the lens of a team that isn't undefeated against bad teams, the top of their resume looks REALLY weak compared to the other teams.

I'm not saying a loss would doom them to a #2 seed, but I will say that it would certainly open the door WIDE open for a team like Kansas to get a #1 seed.

sporthenry
03-13-2014, 01:10 PM
I'm not saying a loss would doom them to a #2 seed, but I will say that it would certainly open the door WIDE open for a team like Kansas to get a #1 seed.

I'll say it. If they lose, they aren't getting a 1 seed. I could see them possibly, although unlikely falling to the 3. Would take pretty much no upsets from occurring which is rare but if Creighton wins tournament and goes 2-0 against Nova, how do they not go ahead of them?

CDu
03-13-2014, 01:14 PM
I'll say it. If they lose, they aren't getting a 1 seed. I could see them possibly, although unlikely falling to the 3. Would take pretty much no upsets from occurring which is rare but if Creighton wins tournament and goes 2-0 against Nova, how do they not go ahead of them?

Yeah, I tend to agree. I've been of the opinion that Villanova doesn't deserve a #1 seed, and a loss to the Hall would fall under the category of supporting that belief. But if Creighton stumbles at all and if none of Kansas, Syracuse, Duke, UVa, and Wisconsin win their tournaments, then we're basically right back to where we were yesterday (when Villanova was considered a #1 seed) with only a slight downgrade in the overall resume for Villanova. So I think they'd still be in play for that last #1 seed.

tommy
03-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Since you broke the ice on this one, I'll chime in as well. it would be VERY interesting to see what a loss to a .500 team like Seton Hall would do to Villanova's resume. Right now, their entire argument is that they have beaten a bunch of okay teams and have only lost (albeit VERY badly) to top-25 teams. If they were to lose today, that argument loses a lot of steam. And when you look at their resume from the lens of a team that isn't undefeated against bad teams, the top of their resume looks REALLY weak compared to the other teams.

Really? Even with eight losses and a questionable Joel Embiid?

And I just don't see any way that Nova gets a #1 if they lose to the Hall today. (down 8 with 16 minutes to go).

sporthenry
03-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I tend to agree. I've been of the opinion that Villanova doesn't deserve a #1 seed, and a loss to the Hall would fall under the category of supporting that belief. But if Creighton stumbles at all and if none of Kansas, Syracuse, Duke, UVa, and Wisconsin win their tournaments, then we're basically right back to where we were yesterday (when Villanova was considered a #1 seed) with only a slight downgrade in the overall resume for Villanova. So I think they'd still be in play for that last #1 seed.

Fair enough but I'd add Michigan in there as well. Don't know if ISU or Creighton have enough but odds of KU, Cuse, Duke, UVA, Wisconsin or Michigan not winning a conference title seem small. And just getting to a final at that point might be enough.

Nova just lucked out. Pinkston threw an elbow, then flopped and somehow got away with just a double flagrant. Now Nova going on a run.

sporthenry
03-13-2014, 01:24 PM
Really? Even with eight losses and a questionable Joel Embiid?

This is assuming they win the B12 so they'd have won the best (or 2nd best) conference title without Embiid which would show they are somewhat deserving even without Embiid. Add in the uncertainty that he could come back and they could very well be on the #1.

Cameron
03-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Win or lose, there's absolutely no way Seton Hall gets a one seed. And with a loss, Nova isn't getting one either.

A Pirate win here once again opens the door IMO for Wisconsin and Duke/Syracuse. Those three would be the front-runners for the final spot, depending on which goes further in their respective conference tournaments. Due to the unique circumstances surrounding Kansas (8 losses and the injury of a star player), the next-in-line could be the winner of the American Athletic Conference if that winner is either Cincinnati or Louisville (in order for this to happen, however, a lot of dominoes would likely have to fall). I do think a Big XII tournament champion Kansas is still an outside possibility as well, but the right dominoes would also need to fall for that.

With that said, Villanova is currently in the middle of a 16-0 run and will win this game, rendering all of this moot.

sporthenry
03-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Win or lose, there's absolutely no way Seton Hall gets a one seed. And with a loss, Nova isn't getting one either.

A Pirate win here once again opens the door IMO for Wisconsin and Duke/Syracuse. Those three would be the front-runners for the final spot, depending on which goes further in their respective conference tournaments. Due to the unique circumstances surrounding Kansas (8 losses and the injury of a star player), the next-in-line could be the winner of the American Athletic Conference if that winner is either Cincinnati or Louisville (in order for this to happen, however, a lot of dominoes would likely have to fall). I do think a Big XII tournament champion Kansas is still an outside possibility as well, but the right dominoes would also need to fall for that.

With that said, Villanova is currently in the middle of a 16-0 run and will win this game, rendering all of this moot.

Nova probably does pull it out but not sure a win over SHU solidifies their 1 seed. I know Lunardi isn't the end all be all but he was saying that even winning the BE tournament, they could still get passed by another team.

I don't think Nova is one of the best 4 teams in the country but I also wouldn't want to see them in Duke's bracket. Memories of 2009 are still too fresh. They don't drive as much and shoot a ton of 3's compared to 2009 but they are guard heavy and I think penetration would kill us.

Cameron
03-13-2014, 01:55 PM
The Pirates refuse to back down. The Hall leads it 55 to 50 with under five minutes to play. I hope they are able to finish the deal here as it would make the weekend that much more exciting with the final number one seed still up in the air.

hurleyfor3
03-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Wow, the Hall finally started scoring some basketballs again.

Cameron
03-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Nova probably does pull it out but not sure a win over SHU solidifies their 1 seed. I know Lunardi isn't the end all be all but he was saying that even winning the BE tournament, they could still get passed by another team.

I don't think Nova is one of the best 4 teams in the country but I also wouldn't want to see them in Duke's bracket. Memories of 2009 are still too fresh. They don't drive as much and shoot a ton of 3's compared to 2009 but they are guard heavy and I think penetration would kill us.

I agree with all of this. All I meant is that a Nova win over Seton Hall is required for the Wildcats to keep hope alive for a one seed. A win, however, in no way solidifies that seed. Nova still has work to accomplish. To your point, a 4-loss, ACC tournament champion Syracuse would IMO upend a Big East tournament champion Nova for the last number one seed, especially considering the Orange battered the Wildcats in a head-to-head meeting.

sporthenry
03-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Teague might have fouled out. Might be good to remember that Teague got a terrible foul call on that double flagrant.

Refs change it to Gibbs. I guess some type of karma coming in here.

Cameron
03-13-2014, 02:14 PM
The HALL wins at the buzzer! How sweet it is!

sporthenry
Down goes Nova.

hurleyfor3
That turned into a really fun game. Down goes Nova. (Nova goes supernova?)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Nova loses.

No one wanta the one seed!
Killer shot

Troublemaker
03-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Hmm, I was all set to root for Nova to win the Big East so Duke doesn't have to compete with them for MSG. Hopefully an extremely early conference tourney loss by Nova will accomplish the same, but let's win the ACC to be sure.

CDu
03-13-2014, 02:17 PM
This season has been absolutely crazy. Though to be fair, who would have ever thought that Villanova would be in the discussion for a #1 seed coming into the year.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2014, 02:22 PM
This season has been absolutely crazy. Though to be fair, who would have ever thought that Villanova would be in the discussion for a #1 seed coming into the year.

Well, I hope you remember that fondly.

devildeac
03-13-2014, 02:58 PM
For those who are interested, NC Central is the heavy favorite to come out of the MEAC.

They started their attempt to make their first tournament by CRUSHING Howard in the Quarterfinals 92-46. Not sure if he'd leave, but LeVelle Moton should seriously be considered for other coaching jobs after this year's performance.

LeVelle Moton is a great guy. He started out coaching the boys team at the middle school where all our children attended. He is quite a character.

tommy
03-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Utah scored a grand total of 13 points in the first half against Arizona, and are down 34-13. Arizona is just killing them on the boards, turning them over repeatedly, and just dominating them in all aspects. I think the Utes are NIT-bound.

ChillinDuke
03-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Utah scored a grand total of 13 points in the first half against Arizona, and are down 34-13. Arizona is just killing them on the boards, turning them over repeatedly, and just dominating them in all aspects. I think the Utes are NIT-bound.

Utah was the trendsetter, and Rutgers jumped on the bandwagon: down 58 - 16 to L'Ville at half.

- Chillin

NashvilleDevil
03-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Snoozers other than the Ohio St/Purdue game for the games this afternoon.

sporthenry
03-13-2014, 04:50 PM
Snoozers other than the Ohio St/Purdue game for the games this afternoon.

OSU/Kansas is close enough.

And just like that, 7-0 run in :26.

ETA: I do agree with ESPN that some of these 8-9 games are going to be tough.

Billy Dat
03-13-2014, 05:11 PM
OSU/Kansas is close enough.

And just like that, 7-0 run in :26.

ETA: I do agree with ESPN that some of these 8-9 games are going to be tough.

Good god, I wish coaches would let the players play! This OSU/Kansas game has featured a timeout nearly every possession for the final 4 minutes!!!!

El_Diablo
03-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Is Travis Ford supposed to be a good coach? Because that was a terrible job on the last Oklahoma State possession of regulation. They got it with the score tied and a little over a minute left (easy 2-1 chance), but they dribble it down a little, call a timeout, move it around the perimeter some more, and then jack up a loooong three pointer with about 30 seconds left, giving Kansas the last shot.

sporthenry
03-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Is Travis Ford supposed to be a good coach? Because that was a terrible job on the last Oklahoma State possession of regulation. They got it with the score tied and a little over a minute left (easy 2-1 chance), but they dribble it down a little, call a timeout, move it around the perimeter some more, and then jack up a loooong three pointer with about 30 seconds left, giving Kansas the last shot.

Yeah, he isn't a great coach. Not sure why college coaches have such an aversion to the 2 for 1. But to just get a long 3 that you could have taken with 45 seconds left.

Mal
03-13-2014, 05:32 PM
Hope you enjoy Rutgers!

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=400545735

I hate the expansion thing, but it will be interesting to see us, UNC, Syracuse and Louisville in the same league. Yikes. That's four of the 8 or 10 most successful programs over the last 30 years in one place, at least until one of the coaches retires. Saturday at the ACCT is likely to feature better hoops than some Final Fours.

sagegrouse
03-13-2014, 06:37 PM

If anyone knows Bill Self have him contact me. I can be hired to watch Kansas games, which -- on the evidence -- will help the Jayhawks immensely.

Today I turned on the game at 3:40 in OT (I had been at the doctor's office). Oklahoma State led by two and AFAIK never scored another point. In fact, the Cowboys never made another good play on either offense or defense. The Grouse Jinx seems to favor the Jayhawks.

Sage grouse
'Naw! The Ol' Grouse is not afraid of Jay-Hawks. It's those murderous Golden Eagles always cruising by our leks'

dukelifer
03-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Hope you enjoy Rutgers!

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=400545735

I hate the expansion thing, but it will be interesting to see us, UNC, Syracuse and Louisville in the same league. Yikes. That's four of the 8 or 10 most successful programs over the last 30 years in one place, at least until one of the coaches retires. Saturday at the ACCT is likely to feature better hoops than some Final Fours.

Well all four of those coaches are over 61- and Ol' Roy at 63 looks the oldest. It will be fun for a little while- but all four programs will likely be very different in 5 years.

Cameron
03-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Do yourself a solid and turn on Creighton versus DePaul on FS1. Doug McDermott dropped seven triples and 27 points in the first half, an all-time Big East Tournament record for points in a half. He is now 20 points shy of surpassing our old friend Keydren Clark (of J.J. three-point race fame) for sixth place on college basketball's all-time scoring list.

He is the most consistently great player I have ever witnessed in my time watching college basketball. As a caveat, guys like Chris Jackson and Pete Maravich were before my time. But McDermott is just awesome. There is no better praise for the guy. One of the true greats in the history of this sport.

McDermott's last 10 games: 39, 32, 25, 26, 39, 25, 29, 27, 22, 45 and 27 (at the half tonight).

Damn.

hurleyfor3
03-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Northwestern 67, Iowa 62. Chris Collins represent!

niveklaen
03-13-2014, 11:18 PM
Iowa could now be close to the bubble - RPI 45 before this bad loss (NW RPI >100)

Maybe another opening for an ACC team

Mal
03-14-2014, 12:35 AM
Iowa could now be close to the bubble - RPI 45 before this bad loss (NW RPI >100)

Maybe another opening for an ACC team

Or someone else. The team from the state to the North of them, for instance, has some fans who are a little incredulous about how Iowa's still considered a lock and most are saying Minnesota still needs to beat Wisconsin tomorrow to even have a chance. Identical records, Iowa won one more in conference and they split head-to-head, Iowa's played a substantially weaker schedule (MN's SOS is 5), sports an almost identical RPI as the Gophers, but they've lost 6 of their last 7. This latest loss is, no offense to CC, of course, a bad loss, which was the only thing they could previously hang their hat on in the midst of their current freefall. Those are pretty equal resumes, although it's been assumed that Iowa was a lock (and even a 4 seed or better) for so long, and MN's been on the bubble for so long, that I think the prognosticators just can't conceive of the fact that they should be seen as close to equals. I mean, prior to tonight, Joe Lunardi had Iowa as an 8 seed (!) and Minnesota out.

I think the ACC's bubble is FSU alone at this point - if they beat UVa, they've got a pretty good shot. Pitt's got 24 wins, and although none of them are terribly impressive, I think 24-9 (if they lose tomorrow) is too good to reject.

devildeac
03-14-2014, 07:02 AM
Utah was the trendsetter, and Rutgers jumped on the bandwagon: down 58 - 16 to L'Ville at half.

- Chillin

And they proceeded to have an even more inept 2nd half, scoring only 15 and losing 92-31. The Crazies would have had a blast with that one:

Almost triple: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap. :o

TexHawk
03-14-2014, 10:54 AM

Travis Ford is.... not good. He did the same thing at the end of the first half. OSU got the ball with a little over a minute left, ran it down to 37, took a shot, and let KU hold for the final shot. Even more mind-numbing, he had a timeout in his pocket that he lost at halftime anyway. OSU is a really tough matchup for KU, because KU can't stop penetration or perimeter shooting, and has a tough time with turnovers... All of those things are strengths for the Cowboys, but he's pretty clearly in the bottom 1/3 of Big12 coaches. Possibly at the bottom, depending on how you feel about Tubby Smith and Trent Johnson, who have a lot more historical success before joining the league.

Many OSU fans are hoping for a Boone Pickens-mandated coaching change. Ford took them from a preseason Top 10 team to a 7-game losing streak, 12 losses, and a 8th place finish in a 10 team league. He did lose Cobbins, his best big man, to an achilles tear, but it's his fault for their lack of depth. With Smart/Brown gone next year, and Lebryan Nash likely to go too, Ford really really really needs to snag Myles Turner. If he doesn't, that's a pretty bad team for 2014-15. And they better be careful, because TCU is getting better.

OSU *could* be a dangerous low seed for a 1 or a 2 in their second game, but for all of the credit Marcus Smart gets for being a "winner", he hasn't really won anything. That includes a blowout loss to a 12 seed in the 1st round last year.

NashvilleDevil
03-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Interesting happening in Indy right now. End transmission.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Not as interesting as it could have been :(

NashvilleDevil
03-14-2014, 01:59 PM
Illinois had a real, real good look on the final shot to beat Michigan but the shot was short armed.

NashvilleDevil
03-14-2014, 02:08 PM
Bilikens go down to the Bonnies. What was it, 3 weeks ago that St. Louis was a top 10 team?

Billy Dat
03-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Illinois had a real, real good look on the final shot to beat Michigan but the shot was short armed.

It was another case where I wish more coaches had the confidence to not take the timeout, call a play, and see if their kids can execute. Instead, Illinois calls a timeout with 4 seconds left and allows Michigan to set their defense - after Michigan responded with an timeout of their own after seeing the Illini set-up. In the words of Kelly Leak and his Dad in the AstroDome, 'let them play! let them play!"

I agree that Illinois got the shot they wanted, but it sucks to watch.

NashvilleDevil
03-14-2014, 02:15 PM
It was another case where I wish more coaches had the confidence to not take the timeout, call a play, and see if their kids can execute. Instead, Illinois calls a timeout with 4 seconds left and allows Michigan to set their defense - after Michigan responded with an timeout of their own after seeing the Illini set-up. In the words of Kelly Leak and his Dad in the AstroDome, 'let them play! let them play!"

I agree that Illinois got the shot they wanted, but it sucks to watch.

I am with you on the overcoaching. If there is about 6 seconds left I would let my best ballhandler just take off, it would catch the opposing team off guard because they think a timeout is coming. Worked for Carolina against State but I do not remember if the Heels had a timeout.

Billy Dat
03-14-2014, 02:24 PM
I am with you on the overcoaching. If there is about 6 seconds left I would let my best ballhandler just take off, it would catch the opposing team off guard because they think a timeout is coming. Worked for Carolina against State but I do not remember if the Heels had a timeout.

Yeah...these situations can be practiced so that no one panics. Maybe the PG going coast to coast and everyone crashing the boards is called "Nashville" or something. The coach could call it out as they are on defense, "I they score..."Nashville"!" These coaches have so little job security that they all micromanage. It's lame, but reality.

Duhon's coast to coast lay-up against UNC at the Dean Dome was a great example - but I don't recall whether or not we had a timeout left. For our team this year, I would love to see this as we seem to stink out of timeouts.

devildeac
03-14-2014, 02:38 PM

h*els? had a timeout? Ol' Roy's got dozens, maybe hundreds of 'em, under 24/7 armed security guard somewhere in Orange County, NC. :rolleyes:

NashvilleDevil
03-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Yeah...these situations can be practiced so that no one panics. Maybe the PG going coast to coast and everyone crashing the boards is called "Nashville" or something. The coach could call it out as they are on defense, "I they score..."Nashville"!" These coaches have so little job security that they all micromanage. It's lame, but reality.

Duhon's coast to coast lay-up against UNC at the Dean Dome was a great example - but I don't recall whether or not we had a timeout left. For our team this year, I would love to see this as we seem to stink out of timeouts.

One of the culprits of overcoaching is coaching against the Heels right now. Odds this comes down to the last minute and Dixon calls a timeout after being burned twice this year when doing so?

NashvilleDevil
03-14-2014, 02:56 PM
Florida/Missouri was 38-36, Gators when they went to the under 12 timeout. Since then Florida has outscored them 32-13.

Update: Florida wins 72-49, outscoring Mizzou 34-13 over the last 12 minutes or so.

Atlanta Duke
03-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Northwestern 67, Iowa 62. Chris Collins represent!

Stewart Mandel at SI.com impressed

How big a win is this for Chris Collins/Northwestern? In 13 seasons Bill Carmody never beat a Top 6 seed in the B1G tourney. Collins: Year 1

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/444308700321153025

tommy
03-14-2014, 06:54 PM
Yeah...these situations can be practiced so that no one panics. Maybe the PG going coast to coast and everyone crashing the boards is called "Nashville" or something. The coach could call it out as they are on defense, "I they score..."Nashville"!"

So long as it's not "Omaha!" I'm good.

NYBri
03-14-2014, 07:24 PM
So long as it's not "Omaha!" I'm good.

Well played.

NYBri
03-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Orange looks beatable.

gotoguy
03-14-2014, 08:18 PM
Overheard tonight at a midtown Atlanta restaurant, " Yeah, I was at the Mississippi State-Vandy game Wednesday and there were 6,800 people in the stands watching the game. 5800 of them were Kentucky fans…"

sporthenry
03-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Bilikens go down to the Bonnies. What was it, 3 weeks ago that St. Louis was a top 10 team?

Also worth noting that SLU is one of Wichita State's two good wins. Not that SLU is bad but just another team who rose in the rankings b/c they didn't lose which is the problems with the polls.

ice-9
03-14-2014, 08:35 PM

They're still ranked #18! :confused:

pfrduke
03-14-2014, 08:50 PM
The Iowa State-Kansas game is much more aesthetically pleasing than NCSU-Syracuse.

pfrduke
03-14-2014, 09:05 PM
Louisville is average 93 points per game in the AAC tournament. Its opponents have a total​ of 96. That's darn impressive.

DukeWarhead
03-14-2014, 09:23 PM
And the Rasputin that is talk of the Jayhawks as a #1 seed seems to have finally died. Finally. Although, I heard some dufus on the radio at noon today mention that KU may have already done enough to lock up the 4th #1 seed. Had to scratch my head at that one. They will be just fine as a #2 and will do quite well (although, based on how things turn out with Louisville, Virginia, Duke, Michigan or SDSU, I could see KU drop to at 3 seed. Now the Jayhawk fans think I'm high...)

loran16
03-14-2014, 09:36 PM
NCCU was favored by 10 over Norfolk State. They won by 23. (68-45). And this was with the MEAC Tourney IN Norfolk.

They face Morgan State tomorrow, who's about the same level of NSU according to Pomeroy. Just one game away. But Morgan State did only lose by 1 at NCCU earlier this season.

(BTW NC Central is 27-5! Wow)

sporthenry
03-15-2014, 12:23 AM
Stanford currently getting run off the court. Won't hurt them getting into the tourney but could help Duke a bit as its UCLA doing the thrashing. If UCLA knocks off Arizona and Michigan wins the B10, Duke would have beaten 2 BCS conference champions.

Seems like Duke doesn't get nearly enough credit for how those wins look now.

arnie
03-15-2014, 08:56 AM
Stanford currently getting run off the court. Won't hurt them getting into the tourney but could help Duke a bit as its UCLA doing the thrashing. If UCLA knocks off Arizona and Michigan wins the B10, Duke would have beaten 2 BCS conference champions.

Seems like Duke doesn't get nearly enough credit for how those wins look now.

Early season Duke wins are usually dismissed by as "last year" while the UNC wins against Louisville, Mich St, Ky and Duke represent the greatest collective feat in the history of the world.

burnspbesq
03-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Cal Poly came into the Big West tournament at 11-19 and seeded seventh. All they've done is beat the two seed UCSB in the quarters and beat the one seed UC Irvine in the semis. The Mustangs play fifth-seeded Cal State Northridge for the championship tonight.

hurleyfor3
03-15-2014, 08:04 PM
Ucla 75, Zona 71. Fun game. Someone else who obsesses over our seed can do the math on what happens when a team we beat beats a team we lost to.

brevity
03-15-2014, 09:04 PM
Ucla 75, Zona 71. Fun game. Someone else who obsesses over our seed can do the math on what happens when a team we beat beats a team we lost to.

Confusing game. I saw the last few minutes of the game, and saw the part where Travis Wear fouled out. I had to rewind it over and over because I just couldn't see how the highly reactive UCLA player committed a foul when he made no contact with anyone. He kept yelling "No way!" and had to be calmed down by a ref. After about 5 reviews, I finally realized that I was watching David Wear the whole time. He's very protective of his brother, I guess.

duke4ever19
03-15-2014, 10:37 PM
Anybody watching Providence/Creighton? Great last several minutes of basketball.

NashvilleDevil
03-15-2014, 10:45 PM
Man that Big East final was physical. Don't understand why other players for Creighton were shooting when they were trying to come back. Providence was closing out on Doug but man when he squares his shoulders that shot is money.

FerryFor50
03-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Man that Big East final was physical. Don't understand why other players for Creighton were shooting when they were trying to come back. Providence was closing out on Doug but man when he squares his shoulders that shot is money.

You mean it was a typical Big East final? :)

NashvilleDevil
03-15-2014, 11:04 PM
You mean it was a typical Big East final? :)

Correct. Doug got his head slammed on the floor a couple of times and nothing called.

NashvilleDevil
03-15-2014, 11:06 PM
Iowa St your Big 12 champions. For about 2 minutes teams were trading blows like the 1st round of Hagler/Hearns.

gurufrisbee
03-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Iowa State is a fun team to watch. Great offensive players with great attitudes on the court.

I'm curious to see where Stephen F. Austin gets seeded. 28 game winning streak.

pfrduke
03-15-2014, 11:30 PM
Iowa State is a fun team to watch. Great offensive players with great attitudes on the court.

I'm curious to see where Stephen F. Austin gets seeded. 28 game winning streak.

Lunardi has them as a 12, which seems a little high - it suggests they would have been in the at large conversation had they lost tonight, and I don't think that's the case. 13 or 14 is most likely.

pfrduke
03-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Watching Sim Bhullar (all 7'5" 360lbs of him) in the WAC title game is fun. He's a mountain of a man.

gurufrisbee
03-15-2014, 11:37 PM
Lunardi has them as a 12, which seems a little high - it suggests they would have been in the at large conversation had they lost tonight, and I don't think that's the case. 13 or 14 is most likely.

30-3 would have forced them to at least be considered. And one loss was a close road loss to Texas. Where ever they end up it will be interesting - they start three seniors, a junior, and a soph and those five play heavy minutes and play well.

pfrduke
03-15-2014, 11:39 PM
30-3 would have forced them to at least be considered. And one loss was a close road loss to Texas. Where ever they end up it will be interesting - they start three seniors, a junior, and a soph and those five play heavy minutes and play well.

You know, looking at the other teams projected to be below them, 12 looks like it makes more sense. There was a lot of carnage in the one-bid conference tournaments that took out some of the stronger teams.

hurleyfor3
03-15-2014, 11:53 PM
This got lost in all the other games, but NC Central beat Morgan State 71-62 to win the MEAC. Twenty-game winning streak. The committee wouldn't make them our 15-seed, would it?

FerryFor50
03-16-2014, 12:46 AM
Cal Poly gets all the calls!

(They take down Cal Northridge on a controversial charge call)

13-19 team going dancing. Well, play in game at least.

DU82
03-16-2014, 09:17 AM
This got lost in all the other games, but NC Central beat Morgan State 71-62 to win the MEAC. Twenty-game winning streak. The committee wouldn't make them our 15-seed, would it?

They're probably a 14. They might play in Raleigh, against the loser of today's ACC game, if they slip to a three.

FerryFor50
03-16-2014, 04:21 PM
Ryan Harrow drops 37 but Ga St loses to Louisiana Lafayette in OT.

Kid can't buy a break.

El_Diablo
03-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Ryan Harrow drops 37 but Ga St loses to Louisiana Lafayette in OT.

Kid can't buy a break.

Should have saved more of that Kentucky transfer bonus.

dukelifer
03-16-2014, 05:27 PM
Should have saved more of that Kentucky transfer bonus.

KY within 1 with less than a minute

dukelifer
03-16-2014, 05:36 PM
KY within 1 with less than a minute

KY had a chance- kid slipped and never got the shot off.