PDA

View Full Version : WWE Network: A model for the ACC?

mph
03-09-2014, 10:47 AM
Grantland has published a comprehensive review (http://grantland.com/features/welcome-to-the-wwe-network/) of the new WWE Network, a multi-platform channel that bypasses cable and satellite providers. Much of the article deals with issues that would only interest professional wrestling fans, but there's a bigger takeaway buried near the end of the article.

For 9.99/month subscribers get access to WWE pay-per-view events and other original content. But the bigger news is that network features a searchable archive of old wrestling matches that have been converted to high-quality video. Bill Simmons thinks the WWE has blazed a trail that other organizations are sure to follow.

Takeaway quote:

Think about it: WWE created a world in which you can’t follow wrestling correctly without subscribing to their channel. And it’s going to work! That’s a game-changer. For instance, let’s say the NBA takes League Pass away from cable/satellite providers, makes that package Internet-only and merges it with NBA TV. It spends the next 18 months converting all their old documentaries, shows and Hardwood Classics into a colossal video library, flanked by every Finals game since 1976, MJ’s 100 best games, Magic’s 100 best games, Bird’s 100 best games, LeBron’s 100 best games and the 25 best games of every other NBA legend. In 2016, they announce they’re pulling NBA TV off cable and satellite, then launching a new mega-Internet channel and charging $24.99 a month. That’s $300 a year for every game of the 2016-17 season plus everything else I just laid out.

What might this mean for the ACC Network? I'm not sure, but it seems consistent with the direction they're already heading. I couldn't sign up fast enough for an ACC Network that charged $10 to $15/month for live games and a searchable, high-quality video archive. How awesome would that be?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-09-2014, 11:30 AM
Grantland has published a comprehensive review (http://grantland.com/features/welcome-to-the-wwe-network/) of the new WWE Network, a multi-platform channel that bypasses cable and satellite providers. Much of the article deals with issues that would only interest professional wrestling fans, but there's a bigger takeaway buried near the end of the article.

For 9.99/month subscribers get access to WWE pay-per-view events and other original content. But the bigger news is that network features a searchable archive of old wrestling matches that have been converted to high-quality video. Bill Simmons thinks the WWE has blazed a trail that other organizations are sure to follow.

Takeaway quote:

What might this mean for the ACC Network? I'm not sure, but it seems consistent with the direction they're already heading. I couldn't sign up fast enough for an ACC Network that charged $10 to $15/month for live games and a searchable, high-quality video archive. How awesome would that be?

It would be heaven for us cord-cutters!