PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else see that?

Lord Ash
03-08-2014, 11:32 PM
With 14:30 left to go in the second, when Quinn Cook scored on that pretty drive, a Crazie at the top of the screen, a girl in blue, cheered.

The man sitting in front of her on press row, blue vest and white long sleeve shirt, flipped out, lashing out and then grabbing her arms in fury.

She recoiled in shock.

It was a VERY bizarre thing that I just happened to notice. Anyone have any idea who that fellow in blue and white is? No one on press row should be grabbing angrily at fans, and certainly not at college-aged girls who don't appear to be doing anything wrong.

Anyone with DVR see that?

mdj
03-09-2014, 12:01 AM
Just watched it. I'd give him a bit of a pass as it looked like he did get hit in the head, but by the girl standing next to the one whose arm he grabbed.

meloveduke
03-09-2014, 12:09 AM
I looked on my dvr, and it looks like the people to the girls left might have hit him. Looked like she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The next few times down on that end the area just behind the man in question is more open....

Lord Ash
03-09-2014, 12:15 AM
Yeah, and the girl doesn't unfold her arms the rest of the game. I didn't like that.

DukeGrad
03-09-2014, 12:23 AM
I uploaded a slowmo video to Youtube. I really couldn't see anyone hit him, but even if they did, there's really no excuse for smacking the girl's arm. She's a college girl, who's probably camped out for months, celebrating a great basket.

http://youtu.be/ws1YYG6Onpg

wavedukefan70s
03-09-2014, 12:31 AM
Looks to me like she may have gotten caught up in the cord to his headset .

DukeGrad
03-09-2014, 12:36 AM
Looks to me like she may have gotten caught up in the cord to his headset .

Yeah, I could see that being a possibility. At the very end she keeps her arm outstretched trying to high-five her friend while he says something and then whips his hands up. At first look, I thought he was trying to smack her arm, but maybe he's trying to (grouchily, it appears) throw a cord over her arm.

G man
03-09-2014, 01:23 AM
I agree there is no reason to act that way. Turn around and ask them to be more careful no reason to blow up like that. Great eye how did you catch that???

Olympic Fan
03-09-2014, 01:45 AM
The guy in the vest is former Duke coach Bucky Waters and I know that he was hit in the head.

That's Mark Watson on his right and Barry Jacobs on his left.

The way the press row is set up, the people sitting there take a beating and I'm sure Bucky is used to it -- but I think he got hit pretty hard and was upset.

tele
03-09-2014, 03:53 AM
The guy in the vest is former Duke coach Bucky Waters and I know that he was hit in the head.

The way the press row is set up, the people sitting there take a beating and I'm sure Bucky is used to it -- but I think he got hit pretty hard and was upset.

Chuck Daley would have ducked.

allenmurray
03-09-2014, 09:01 AM

To my mind that makes it worse. If Bucky can no linger handle CIS it is time to retire.

gotoguy
03-09-2014, 09:03 AM

With the way he handled the program I'm surprised Bucky has such a good seat

Lord Ash
03-09-2014, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the video and the info.

Feels very inappropriate of him... Looked, to me, like an angry dude lashing out at an 18 year old girl... I didn't see any cords or anything.

And if you watch the rest of the game, she stands with her arms crossed or at her side the whole time, even during Duke free throws.

Acymetric
03-09-2014, 01:42 PM

Well he lashed out at the wrong person and in a totally inappropriate way. I don't care who he is, he needs to find a way to apologize to that girl (not saying a public apology is needed, just something 1 on 1). The fact that he is a former coach here makes it even worse. If he doesn't like being in such proximity to the fans I'm sure they could find someone else willing to sit there who could show a little more class in that situation.

FerryFor50
03-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Well he lashed out at the wrong person and in a totally inappropriate way. I don't care who he is, he needs to find a way to apologize to that girl (not saying a public apology is needed, just something 1 on 1). The fact that he is a former coach here makes it even worse. If he doesn't like being in such proximity to the fans I'm sure they could find someone else willing to sit there who could show a little more class in that situation.

Fine. I'LL sit there. You twisted my arm, but I will take one for the team. I will try to at least pretend I enjoy it...

Jim3k
03-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Hey...Bucky is in his late seventies (78-79?). How badly can he behave? He's been surprise assaulted by a younger, stronger and more aggressive young person from behind. Wouldn't you expect some sort of reaction?

I can recall Bucky (verbally) jumping me when he was 27 or so and I was a freshman on the PE fields. That was a far more intimidating experience than this young woman experienced from an old man.

Acymetric
03-09-2014, 03:20 PM
Hey...Bucky is in his late seventies (78-79?). How badly can he behave? He's been surprise assaulted by a younger, stronger and more aggressive young person from behind. Wouldn't you expect some sort of reaction?

I can recall Bucky (verbally) jumping me when he was 27 or so and I was a freshman on the PE fields. That was a far more intimidating experience than this young woman experienced from an old man.

There was no reason for him to make physical contact with her, especially given that she wasn't the one that touched him (assault would be overstatement of the year). Everything else is just white noise.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-09-2014, 03:28 PM
It's easy to judge others when we're not involved. By that I mean that so far there is no direct information to explain what happened. Many situations in life are not as they appear.

Jim3k
03-09-2014, 03:48 PM
There was no reason for him to make physical contact with her, especially given that she wasn't the one that touched him (assault would be overstatement of the year). Everything else is just white noise.

He got hit. Maybe not by her. But it was an unpermitted touching: therefore, an assault (or battery, depending on varying legal definitions). Since the blow came from behind and he couldn't know who did it, and she was the closest, his reaction is understandable. He didn't strike her back, but merely restrained her. That's self-defense. He's more of a victim than she is.

Atlanta Duke
03-09-2014, 03:54 PM
He got hit. Maybe not by her. But it was an unpermitted touching: therefore, an assault (or battery, depending on varying legal definitions). Since the blow came from behind and he couldn't know who did it, and she was the closest, his reaction is understandable. He didn't strike her back, but merely restrained her. That's self-defense. He's more of a victim than she is.

Maybe he said something as well?

It is close quarters at a sporting event - he did something to apparently cause a young woman to shut down for the rest of the game - I have accidentally struck and been struck at games and both of us got over it immediately. Maybe the young woman had done something else - hard to say.

And I disagree that if you accidentally get hit it excuses lashing out - the elderly merit respect but not an excuse for everything

Bucky's career really ended early considering it has been 40 years since he was fired

Indoor66
03-09-2014, 04:03 PM
It's easy to judge others when we're not involved. By that I mean that so far there is no direct information to explain what happened. Many situations in life are not as they appear.

I agree, DITBD, but getting inscensed about anything and everything seems to be a right of passage on message boards.

ChrisP
03-09-2014, 04:08 PM
It's really interesting that so many people can see the same thing and have such different interpretations of it. I'm not judging anyone else for their opinion but I have read this whole thread and watched the video someone posted several times and I don't see how this is nearly as a big a deal as some are making it out to be. Before I saw the video, I fully expected to see the "man in the vest" stand up, turn and angrily confront/grab a young girl. But of course, that's not at all what happened.

The video is grainy so who can say for sure, but it seemed to me like there was a headset or something on Bucky's head that got caught on someone's arm and then he reached up to untangle it quickly. Either way, it didn't seem like some angry outburst as others have made it to be. I didn't even see a "grab" per se. Looked to me like he was trying to move something (a cord, perhaps) off of her arm. Maybe the girl stood with her arms crossed/at her sides because she felt contrite and didn't want to risk getting in his way again. What's wrong with her attempting to be polite (if, in fact, that's why she did what she did from that point on)?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not about to get all indignant and demand an apology over what I saw on that video. It's a crowded sports arena with tons of noise and amped up fans. People get bumped/jostled. It happens all the time in that environment. As another poster pointed out, we don't really have much context here and even the video is unclear. I just don't see it as a big deal at all.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-09-2014, 04:13 PM
It's really interesting that so many people can see the same thing and have such different interpretations of it. I'm not judging anyone else for their opinion but I have read this whole thread and watched the video someone posted several times and I don't see how this is nearly as a big a deal as some are making it out to be. Before I saw the video, I fully expected to see the "man in the vest" stand up, turn and angrily confront/grab a young girl. But of course, that's not at all what happened.

The video is grainy so who can say for sure, but it seemed to me like there was a headset or something on Bucky's head that got caught on someone's arm and then he reached up to untangle it quickly. Either way, it didn't seem like some angry outburst as others have made it to be. I didn't even see a "grab" per se. Looked to me like he was trying to move something (a cord, perhaps) off of her arm. Maybe the girl stood with her arms crossed/at her sides because she felt contrite and didn't want to risk getting in his way again. What's wrong with her attempting to be polite (if, in fact, that's why she did what she did from that point on)?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not about to get all indignant and demand an apology over what I saw on that video. It's a crowded sports arena with tons of noise and amped up fans. People get bumped/jostled. It happens all the time in that environment. As another poster pointed out, we don't really have much context here and even the video is unclear. I just don't see it as a big deal at all.

You said it better than I could!

sagegrouse
03-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Bucky's career really ended early considering it has been 40 years since he was fired

Not fired, resigned. Bucky, who was also my PE coach, was not a good match with the early 1970s. Otherwise, he was a good guy.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-09-2014, 06:14 PM
I agree, DITBD, but getting inscensed about anything and everything seems to be a right of passage on message boards.

Maybe this will die down before the first game in Cameron next year so Bucky won't be subjected to castigation by anyone who was displeased by how they thought he behaved.;)

Indoor66
03-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Maybe this will die down before the first game in Cameron next year so Bucky won't be subjected to castigation by anyone who was displeased by how they thought he behaved.;)

Anybody who castigates Bucky has no sense of the worth of human beings. Bucky has been a mainstay of support and positive accomplishment at Duke for more than forty years and deserves the respect of the benefit of the doubt in any situation. To know Bucky is to realize what a fine man he is and has always been.

brevity
03-09-2014, 07:41 PM

If only there were a DBR member who could report on the moment, having the unique perspective of sitting right next to Bucky Waters and turning around when he did. (He doesn't mention it on Twitter (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilNation).)

I don't have a personal stake in this discussion, but let's just say I'm a huge fan of definitive accounts that can shut down a speculative thread and give us one less thing to talk about.

Olympic Fan
03-09-2014, 08:38 PM
Anybody who castigates Bucky has no sense of the worth of human beings. Bucky has been a mainstay of support and positive accomplishment at Duke for more than forty years and deserves the respect of the benefit of the doubt in any situation. To know Bucky is to realize what a fine man he is and has always been.

Add me to the list of people who know and like Bucky.

Okay, he was a failure as a head coach here ... but for more than 40 years he was an effective fundraiser for the hospital and a great ambassador for Duke and Duke basketball.

He deserves respect, not castigation.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-09-2014, 09:02 PM

Okay, he was a failure as a head coach here ... but for more than 40 years he was an effective fundraiser for the hospital and a great ambassador for Duke and Duke basketball.

Hear! Hear!

Dukeface88
03-09-2014, 09:13 PM

This is not correct. Battery (or assault) requires either specific intent to touch the victim or criminal negligence. Accidental contact that occurs in a place where such contact is to be expected (the classic example is a crowded train, but a crowded stadium would also qualify) does not meet that standard.

Newton_14
03-09-2014, 09:23 PM

I will add that I had the good fortune of getting paired in his foursome a few years back at Herald-Sun Golf Classic. He was an extremely nice and engaging man for the entire 5 hours. Struck me as a very nice, un-pretentious man.

The video looks bad but it could be a case of a good man having a bad moment (happens to all of us) or it could be a case of not having all the facts. Given my encounter with him and reports from others that know him, like yourself, it would be out of character.

I would rather have all the facts before passing some sort of judgement.

Karl Beem
03-09-2014, 09:37 PM
I'm amazed that people can see anything - unless they're looking at something other than the ESPN feed. Press row is visible only from the long perspective. Of course Cook never sprawls but keeps his feet. I know who Bucky is and I never saw him.

rthomas
03-09-2014, 09:46 PM

I agree totally. I met Bucky Waters several times in the 90's and he was always a great guy. And 100% Duke.

throatybeard
03-09-2014, 10:25 PM
This is neither here nor there, and I think it's rather rude of OF to call Waters "a failure as a head coach here" when he was mediocre, not a failure...

...but I just learned his middle name is Chevalier.

Like, dude, what is up with that.

From now on, I'm calling him Chevalier Waters.

Lord Ash
03-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Hmmm... When I saw it it looked like he might have gotten hit by the girl behind him, then turned to see who hit him... Then it looked to me, a spectator who obviously wasnt there, that he got annoyed at arms extended above his head and sort of took a frustrated claw at them. No cords or headsets there, and the girls recoil makes me think she was shocked, not that he was unlooping a cord or anything.

Don't know him, never met him, he might be a very nice man but certainly didn't look right to me. Not a big deal, but it was a bit surprising to see when I first saw it during the game.

sagegrouse
03-09-2014, 10:39 PM
I agree totally. I met Bucky Waters several times in the 90's and he was always a great guy. And 100% Duke.

Yep, and he even played college ball for Everett Case at State. Bucky is 78.

Jim3k
03-09-2014, 11:17 PM
This is not correct. Battery (or assault) requires either specific intent to touch the victim or criminal negligence. Accidental contact that occurs in a place where such contact is to be expected (the classic example is a crowded train, but a crowded stadium would also qualify) does not meet that standard.

Sorry to have left out the adjective 'intentional' modifying 'unpermitted touching.' But a blow from someone's blind area can still be described as an assault. It could easily be a reckless or criminally negligent act. I'm sure you are not truly suggesting a blow to the back of the head can be considered 'expected' contact, even in a crowd.

Of course, in the sense I originally used the word, I was not referring to the crime or the intentional tort, but to the colloquial. It was Asymmetric that took issue with my using the word. I, of course, responded too-sensitively. But...I don't think I erred; even though only a law professor would ever consider it a possible crime or tort (and only for exam purposes). We all agree that in crowds, 'touches' are likely and, while in the crowd we consent to unavoidable contact. Plus, we all agree that ordinary accidents are not crimes or intentional torts.

But a person in Bucky's position wouldn't have had the time to consider any of that before fending off further blows.

NovaScotian
03-09-2014, 11:22 PM

yea, it looks pretty clear to me that he's just pulling the cord over her arm.

gep
03-09-2014, 11:42 PM
yea, it looks pretty clear to me that he's just pulling the cord over her arm.

Yes, I agree. But... my question. Just before Bucky takes off his headphones and turns around to take the cord off her arm, I couldn't see anything that looked like her hand could have gotten caught in the cord... unless the cord was much behind Bucky. The girl just raised her hands, and seemed quite far from Bucky to get tangled in his headphone cord. Unless there were other cords that couldn't bee seen:confused:

-jk
03-10-2014, 12:16 AM
This is neither here nor there, and I think it's rather rude of OF to call Waters "a failure as a head coach here" when he was mediocre, not a failure...

...but I just learned his middle name is Chevalier.

Like, dude, what is up with that.

From now on, I'm calling him Chevalier Waters.

Mediocre or failure? Bubas. Waters. Foster. K. (I'm repressing McGeachy.) One of these is not like the others.

I know and respect the hell out of Bucky. He bleeds Duke Blue. We do have a storied history of coaches who haven't worked out (just look over the football list).

Ok, maybe "failure" was a bit harsh, but Bucky doesn't stand out so much in context - even if you only include the first ten years of K.

Lord knows I really feel sympathy for whoever follows K. But Bubas was a tough follow, too.

-jk

Son of Jarhead
03-10-2014, 12:17 AM
Looks to me like the girl on the left hooked the headset when accidentally hitting Bucky (you can see it raise up on top of his head) and seemed surprised to have a cord on her arm after initially not seeming to notice, the girl on the right then noticed and reached out to help unhook the cord, at which point Bucky reached up to snatch it back. I'm sure the girls were admonished to be more careful, and I am just as certain that they were contrite and apologized. Though perhaps the wrong girl was initially thought by Bucky to have hit him, it is likely they sorted it all out. Accidental contact of journalists by students happens at every game and of every one on press row, none are likely to engage with the fans around them more than Bucky, so I expect all was fine soon after. Much-a-do about nothing, I'd say.

BTW, does Bucky do a radio call for someone?

Also, isn't that group of students behind Bucky the line monitors? That is the area that is cordoned off up until just before the game. It is also where three recruits were invited to "sit with us" and did so for most of the second half.

watzone
03-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Maybe he said something as well?

It is close quarters at a sporting event - he did something to apparently cause a young woman to shut down for the rest of the game - I have accidentally struck and been struck at games and both of us got over it immediately. Maybe the young woman had done something else - hard to say.

And I disagree that if you accidentally get hit it excuses lashing out - the elderly merit respect but not an excuse for everything

Firstly, I sit right beside Bucky. Secondly, too much is being made out of this IMO. I do think Bucky reacted poorly at first, initiating contact back, but imagine having head phones on in CIS and all of a sudden whap! It would startle young and old alike, IMO. I was told he had to wear them for some sort of radio gig, but in all honesty my focus was on the action and anything said to me went out the other ear quickly.

I know the young lady very well he thought was the culprit and she did freak out a bit at his reaction, likely being unaware that he'd been hit.

It happens. I get hit on a regular basis and sometimes really hard. Heck, I took a students coke away when he douses the back of my hair and shirt with it in the excitement. But I whine about media members bringing open drink containers on press row as well and it never spills on their seat or computer. (make a note of this Devilwolf and Jim Sumner), for there will be contact from players and students alike. I mean it's cramped like heck in there, so there is not a lot of room for anything. I'm cool with bottled water with a top though, bit feel people can leave the open containers and sip their cokes at half time in the media room. Sorry, had to get my rant in.

Anyhow, there are times when the students go a bit far or are oblivious to their surroundings, but nobody hit Bucky on purpose and he simply wants to watch the game from his seat with minimal issues. If you look carefully at the video, you see what I did in person. That being a rather small young lady hit the head phones and she is painted so blue, she is hard to see. Trust me, it's the small ones that bother those most on press row for whatever reason and I say that tongue in cheek.

But it was not on purpose and she's a good girl, just like the rest of them. The kids who sit in that area are tent monitors and the ones who get the cheers going. They are all good students and have character and cheer hard. But maybe the person who did it should have simply apologized and my other poor friend would not have gotten the evil eye. She was startled but so was Bucky. It was an accident and I quickly moved on as should we all in this situation. Lastly, nobody should admonish Bucky for getting ticked he got whacked in the head either and it's not likely somebody is going to thank you for that. Bucky is good guy, professional and such and the students are great. The heat of the moment all the way around, no harm done ... nuff said.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Firstly, I sit right beside Bucky. Secondly, too much is being made out of this IMO. I do think Bucky reacted poorly at first, initiating contact back, but imagine having head phones on in CIS and all of a sudden whap! It would startle young and old alike, IMO. I was told he had to wear them for some sort of radio gig, but in all honesty my focus was on the action and anything said to me went out the other ear quickly.

I know the young lady very well he thought was the culprit and she did freak out a bit at his reaction, likely being unaware that he'd been hit.

It happens. I get hit on a regular basis and sometimes really hard. Heck, I took a students coke away when he douses the back of my hair and shirt with it in the excitement. But I whine about media members bringing open drink containers on press row as well and it never spills on their seat or computer. (make a note of this Devilwolf and Jim Sumner), for there will be contact from players and students alike. I mean it's cramped like heck in there, so there is not a lot of room for anything. I'm cool with bottled water with a top though, bit feel people can leave the open containers and sip their cokes at half time in the media room. Sorry, had to get my rant in.

Anyhow, there are times when the students go a bit far or are oblivious to their surroundings, but nobody hit Bucky on purpose and he simply wants to watch the game from his seat with minimal issues. If you look carefully at the video, you see what I did in person. That being a rather small young lady hit the head phones and she is painted so blue, she is hard to see. Trust me, it's the small ones that bother those most on press row for whatever reason and I say that tongue in cheek.

But it was not on purpose and she's a good girl, just like the rest of them. The kids who sit in that area are tent monitors and the ones who get the cheers going. They are all good students and have character and cheer hard. But maybe the person who did it should have simply apologized and my other poor friend would not have gotten the evil eye. She was startled but so was Bucky. It was an accident and I quickly moved on as should we all in this situation. Lastly, nobody should admonish Bucky for getting ticked he got whacked in the head either and it's not likely somebody is going to thank you for that. Bucky is good guy, professional and such and the students are great. The heat of the moment all the way around, no harm done ... nuff said.

Thank you, Mark. I hope this thread can now be locked and the incident left in the past.

El_Diablo
03-10-2014, 10:11 PM
I don't know. I think we need another 3-5 pages to get to the bottom of this.

Analyzing the video frame by frame, you can see that the headphones clearly go back, and to the left. Back, and to the left. Back. And to the left. My theory is that there was an additional cord puller. But that's not what they would have you believe.

Reilly
03-10-2014, 10:32 PM
I stood in that location as an undergrad, and Lou Bello sat on press row there and would turn around and give us popcorn. One more way that Cameron is not what it used to be -- now instead of Bello patter and popcorn, you got Bucky Waters roughing up co-eds.

Native
03-10-2014, 10:35 PM

Yep. I sit right behind watzone at every game (that's me in the ref shirt in the video). Completely second his account.

Put this one to bed, y'all. Nothing to see here.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-10-2014, 10:37 PM
Yep. I sit right behind watzone at every game (that's me in the ref shirt in the video). Completely second his account.

You know this is going to disappoint some people, don't you?

Native
03-10-2014, 10:55 PM
You know this is going to disappoint some people, don't you?

As disappointed as Roy Williams when he finds out his Mystic Tan coupons have expired.

But, hey, life goes on.

Newton_14
03-10-2014, 11:03 PM

Now Native, haven't you learned to not talk about people's grandma yet?

On a serious note, the Go to Class Carolina Go to Class chant was priceless.

Native
03-10-2014, 11:21 PM
On a serious note, the Go to Class Carolina Go to Class chant was priceless.

We've been waiting a while to bust that one out.

My one regret is that PJ wasn't there. We had a ton of material we couldn't use.

I know a friend of mine, though, had a sign with "He's Not Here" and a PJ photo that was taken away by security. Rough life.