PDA

View Full Version : New T-shirts

jay
03-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Is it just me or did the new t-shirts that DBR is advertising remind anyone else of the Three-Fifths Compromise?

Gave me the shudders.

Lid
03-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Is it just me or did the new t-shirts that DBR is advertising remind anyone else of the Three-Fifths Compromise?

Gave me the shudders.

You're not alone.

Even without that specter, I have to admit I'm a much bigger fan of paraphenalia that pumps up my team without being negative to others. Would love to have some clever shirts that are pro-Duke. Period.

Des Esseintes
03-07-2014, 11:18 AM

Gave me the shudders.

I hadn't seen them until they were mentioned in this thread. My god. These are really unfortunate, stupid shirts. Some people will surely be reminded of the Three-Fifths Compromise. Probably a larger number will be reminded that everyone thinks of Duke* as an elitist finishing school for America's d-bags. A much smaller number will understand the reference to Cameron vs. Smith Center. Some of Duke fans' wounds are self-inflicted. Ugh.

* Unfair, to the extent that we've hardly cornered the market on those.

Duvall
03-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Yeah, this should be taken down before people around the Internet notice it. Just phenomally misconcieved.

blazindw
03-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Just took a look at the shirts and I didn't see it that way. And those who know me probably know how I would react to the 3/5ths Compromise.

OldPhiKap
03-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Not sure why we're trying to pick a fight with Syracuse, either. They have a good program, let the teams settle it on the floor.

I'd love to see a game at the Carrier Dome.

jipops
03-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Why re-enforce an elitist stereotype? I don't get it.

flyingdutchdevil
03-07-2014, 01:30 PM
I don't see the 3/5 compromise at all. I think that is just reading into something a little too much.

I completely see the elitist argument and agree with it.

Also, it's not a very good t-shirt. There are a lot of good Duke t's out there. This ain't one of 'em.

burnspbesq
03-07-2014, 01:51 PM
It's a bit of a stretch to imagine that anyone from Carolina or Cuse is well enough educated to know about the three-fifths compromise. ;-)

The shirts are harmless. Somebody should go post the link at IC and TNIAAM just to set them off.

Des Esseintes
03-07-2014, 01:58 PM
It's a bit of a stretch to imagine that anyone from Carolina or Cuse is well enough educated to know about the three-fifths compromise. ;-)

The shirts are harmless. Somebody should go post the link at IC and TNIAAM just to set them off.

I don't think we should be going out of our way to be pilloried by Deadspin. They invent enough ammo on their own. And these "harmless" shirts will receive approximately zero benefit of the doubt from audiences around the country.

ricks68
03-07-2014, 03:21 PM
I have bought a number of DBR shirts in the past. I will not be purchasing these, however. In my opinion, they are not clever, not funny, very elitist, and kinda like something that could be posted in an opponent's locker room before a game with us to inspire the opponent. Even worse, imagine what we would respond with if an opponent came out with a shirt like this. Just something to think about.

ricks

Edouble
03-07-2014, 03:24 PM
I don't see the 3/5 compromise at all. I think that is just reading into something a little too much.

Also, it's not a very good t-shirt. There are a lot of good Duke t's out there. This ain't one of 'em.

Yeah, this is sort of the Pepsi line of thinking. Pepsi used to always make these commercials insisting that they were better than Coke, whereas Coke just rolls out with "Hey, we're Coke! We're the best".

I've always been more keen on the Coke train of thought. If you're forced to compare yourself to someone/thing else to say how great you are, you might just have an inferiority complex.

Scorp4me
03-07-2014, 03:27 PM
It reminded people of the 3/5th's compromise? Really? I think that may be more damning than the shirts lol.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-07-2014, 03:33 PM

Agreed. A good fan t-shirt typically isn't based on math.

What's wrong with a simple and effective GTHC shirt?

weezie
03-07-2014, 05:14 PM

The shirts are harmless....

Lol, that is funny burnsy!

But the shirts are trying a tad too hard. Still, if it looks like we're talking down to others, I'll be fine with that.

rsvman
03-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Agreed. A good fan t-shirt typically isn't based on math.

With the possible exception of the famous "Basic Math" t-shirt.

Oh, and any shirt that says "Do the math."

And the one that says "Hey math! Solve your own problems. I'm tired of solving them for you."

Oh, and the one where e and pi say to each other "be rational" and "get real."

There are others, too, that I can't think of off the top of my head right now. So, ultimately, I think I disagree with your premise.

One time I had to pee at a sports bar, and on the wall inside the bathroom somebody had written mathematical graffiti. I can't figure out how to post the symbols, so I will write out in words what it said. It said "c=the square root of E over m." The more I thought about it, the more it made me chuckle. Way better than most bathroom graffiti, I might add (pun intended).

rsvman
03-07-2014, 07:58 PM
In the above post, I meant to say "i and pi" instead of "e and pi." Sorry.

For some reason I wasn't able to go back into the post and edit it.

weezie
03-07-2014, 08:24 PM
In the above post, I meant to say "i and pi" instead of "e and pi." Sorry.

Ehhhh, you think too hard. Now I have a headache. You had to "pi" at a sports bar? what?!
Good on you though!

DBFAN
03-07-2014, 08:41 PM
I can see why some may not like it based on it not being clever or what not, but I really fail to see the logic in trying not to offend other schools or teams or fans. I'm pretty sure if Mother Teresa came back to earth and Became the head coach, the general Public would just find a new way to hate us.... There is no use in trying to appease them by becoming soft spoken. We do remember that all across this great land you can prob find Fuke Duck shirts in almost every college, and sports stores. The point of this shirt is that we think our fans are better than UNC fans. Anyone else making a bigger issue of it is just looking for a reason to hate on Duke

CDu
03-07-2014, 11:20 PM
I would have never made that connection had you not brought it up. I immediately understood what the shirt meant.

I mean, I guess people see what they want (or in this case, don't want) to see. But the three-fifths compromise was not even close to my radar when looking at the shirt.

That being said, I think it's kind of a dumb shirt.

Troublemaker
03-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Thankfully, the Dean Dome capacity is not 15,523

throatybeard
03-08-2014, 05:50 PM
If we're going to have a snotty, elitist shirt, wouldn't it be a good idea at least to get the math right? (My calculator says 2.335).