PDA

View Full Version : Zones?

yancem
03-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately I haven't been able to watch as much non Duke college basketball this year as I usually do so I'm not sure if this a broader trend or just Duke related but I have never seen so much zone defense in my life (and Tate Armstrong was my first favorite Duke player). I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the opposing coaches watching game film from early in the year where we really struggled against some zones (and really haven't improved much as the year has progressed) but I have been truly amazed at how much zone defense we have seen. Can anyone who has more time to watch other games chime in as to whether this is trend is country wide or just a Duke phenomenon? Also, based on how much we have struggled against the zone this year really wonder why Duke doesn't play more zone. In the past I haven't agreed much with others on the board calling for more zone but now I am thinking that it would be smart at least as a wrinkle to make opponents adjust their schemes when things aren't going too well. What would a zone have done to Wake last night in the last 3 minutes when the game was still only 2-3 point difference?

jv001
03-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Unfortunately I haven't been able to watch as much non Duke college basketball this year as I usually do so I'm not sure if this a broader trend or just Duke related but I have never seen so much zone defense in my life (and Tate Armstrong was my first favorite Duke player). I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the opposing coaches watching game film from early in the year where we really struggled against some zones (and really haven't improved much as the year has progressed) but I have been truly amazed at how much zone defense we have seen. Can anyone who has more time to watch other games chime in as to whether this is trend is country wide or just a Duke phenomenon? Also, based on how much we have struggled against the zone this year really wonder why Duke doesn't play more zone. In the past I haven't agreed much with others on the board calling for more zone but now I am thinking that it would be smart at least as a wrinkle to make opponents adjust their schemes when things aren't going too well. What would a zone have done to Wake last night in the last 3 minutes when the game was still only 2-3 point difference?

I've watched other games this year and almost all team have the zone defense in their arsenal. Most team use it as a way of holding down foul trouble and giving the team another look. There aren't many Cuse zone teams, but Michigan and Wisconsin use it as well. Beat UNC and GoDuke!

Karl Beem
03-06-2014, 05:46 PM
I suspect the zones are the result of the different officiating.