PDA

View Full Version : Remember 2010

OZZIE4DUKE
03-06-2014, 05:54 AM
Remember the 2nd Maryland game, and then how that season turned out!

dukelifer
03-06-2014, 06:44 AM

True- but that was a senior/junior laden team who had been to war together. Duke is capable - we know that - but this pattern of blowing late leads is troubling. The UNC game will be telling.

jv001
03-06-2014, 08:22 AM
I remember 2010 but I had much more confidence in our guard play with Jon and Nolan than I do with our guard play lately. GoDuke!

CameronDuke
03-06-2014, 08:26 AM

Yes I remember 2010. That team was led by two warriors, Scheyer and Singler, who in addition to superior basketball skill, possesssed the heart of a lion. They had that look in their eyes that they weren't going to lose. That Laettner, Battier, Jay Williams look. We don't have nearly the fight or fire in our sacks this year collectively as a team.

weezie
03-06-2014, 08:27 AM
And Kyle never hesitated to say "climb on" and will the team to persevere.

But then again, maybe the best is yet to come for Duke 2013-14.

jv001
03-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Yes I remember 2010. That team was led by two warriors, Scheyer and Singler, who in addition to superior basketball skill, possesssed the heart of a lion. They had that look in their eyes that they weren't going to lose. That Laetttner, Battier, Jay Williams look. We don't have nearly the fight or fire in our sacks this year collectively as a team.

This is the missing ingredient on this years team. We have no leaders with the talent level of the two players you mentioned. They have the talent, but not the leadership quality needed. I wish Jon could give some leadership advice to Rodney and Jabari. Maybe a little video room session would help. GoDuke!

hurleyfor3
03-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Maryland was good that year (4 seed in the NCAAs). Wake sucks.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Yes I remember 2010. That team was led by two warriors, Scheyer and Singler

You forgot one of the firm's partners. It was the law firm of Scheyer, Singler, and Smith.

killerleft
03-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Well, you folks are certainly cheering me up!:o But, yeah, we don't have that take-charge guy - yet. I think Rasheed is the most likely, I sure wish his almost-in three had gone in.

cruxer
03-06-2014, 11:11 AM
I thought we actually played well in that Maryland game. Maryland was tough at home and of course they had General Grevis, who willed his team to victory. I didn't feel too terrible about that loss.

uh_no
03-06-2014, 11:12 AM
I thought we actually played well in that Maryland game. Maryland was tough at home and of course they had General Grevis, who willed his team to victory. I didn't feel too terrible about that loss.

maryland finished #13 kenpom.....wake is #113 kenpom......

Dev11
03-06-2014, 11:28 AM
That 2010 team had no depth, no next-level talent, and was going to lose as soon as they had an off-shooting night. Plus, they relied on unheralded seniors on the boards who up until a few weeks before the tournament were considered role players, with no reasonable projection that their stellar play would hold up into late March. The only guard off the bench was supposed to be a senior in high school.

I tuned out but I'm sure that such a team couldn't get past the Sweet Sixteen.

moonpie23
03-06-2014, 11:34 AM
as poorly as we started last night, i was surprised to not see the wholesale substitutions……..it couldn't have gone worse …

MaxAMillion
03-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Yes I remember 2010. That team was led by two warriors, Scheyer and Singler, who in addition to superior basketball skill, possesssed the heart of a lion. They had that look in their eyes that they weren't going to lose. That Laettner, Battier, Jay Williams look. We don't have nearly the fight or fire in our sacks this year collectively as a team.

Where was that look when they were getting stomped by Clemson or losing to Villanova badly in the tournament? Where was it when Georgetown beat them up? Those players were no different than the players we have now in terms of desire. Singler and Scheyer just had the benefit of growing from all of their adversity and disappointment. The 2010 team became special over time as the seniors (with Zoubek coming into his own) grew into a strong unit. This year's team is young and without leadership from its upperclassmen.

I was hoping that Cook and Dawkins would grow as leaders but that doesn't seem to be the case. Cook actually looks like he has regressed as a player. Duke plays now without a high caliber PG and it really hurts at key points in the game. Duke has basically lost all its games the same way. They struggle when the momentum shifts to the opponent in the 2nd half. That happens a lot on the road.

CameronBlue
03-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Well, you folks are certainly cheering me up!:o

Seriously, never read DBR after consuming large quantities of barbiturates and alcohol, stick withCat Fancy or maybe The Grapes of Wrath.

CDu
03-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Maryland was good that year (4 seed in the NCAAs). Wake sucks.

Yeah, I don't see many parallels between that 2010 Duke team and this Duke team, and I see virtually no similarities between that 2010 Maryland team and this Wake team.

superdave
03-06-2014, 01:17 PM
That 2010 team had no depth, no next-level talent, and was going to lose as soon as they had an off-shooting night. Plus, they relied on unheralded seniors on the boards who up until a few weeks before the tournament were considered role players, with no reasonable projection that their stellar play would hold up into late March. The only guard off the bench was supposed to be a senior in high school.

I tuned out but I'm sure that such a team couldn't get past the Sweet Sixteen.

That's not entirely accurate. Duke shot 5-17 from 3 vs Butler and still won. Their defense was good enough that season to overcome poor shooting nights.

The roster was also limited that season. No depth at the guard position.

I would argue that 2014 Duke is more likely to follow 2001 Duke if they are going to go on a run. 2001 Duke lost Boozer to injury, moved Casey and CD into the starting lineup and started running and gunning 3s. This year's roster has depth. Imagine if go small and replace Amile and Tyler in the starting lineup with Andre and Quinn and just try to outscore everyone. Could work. Or we might go bigger and start Marshall over Amile and pack in the defense. Could also work.

CameronDuke
03-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Where was that look when they were getting stomped by Clemson or losing to Villanova badly in the tournament? Where was it when Georgetown beat them up? Those players were no different than the players we have now in terms of desire. Singler and Scheyer just had the benefit of growing from all of their adversity and disappointment. The 2010 team became special over time as the seniors (with Zoubek coming into his own) grew into a strong unit. This year's team is young and without leadership from its upperclassmen.

I was hoping that Cook and Dawkins would grow as leaders but that doesn't seem to be the case. Cook actually looks like he has regressed as a player. Duke plays now without a high caliber PG and it really hurts at key points in the game. Duke has basically lost all its games the same way. They struggle when the momentum shifts to the opponent in the 2nd half. That happens a lot on the road.

The look was certainly there for the 2010 team long before March 5th. That team started playing together, with fight, and with purpose long before March 5th which is the date we looked uninspired and weak in 2014.

After the Maryland at Duke game in 2010(I want to say mid January but not certain), the team didn't lose too many more games. And when we played, we looked a hell of a lot tougher, meaner, and mentally stronger than the last 5 minutes last night. I've never questioned this team's skill and think we have more lottery picks on this team than the 2010 team. But possessing skill and possessing the killer instinct are two entirely different things.

ncexnyc
03-06-2014, 04:26 PM

Sorry, but in no way does last night's disaster resemble this game.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=300620120

That Maryland game was a great one. Someone on another thread was silly enough to call Amile and Rasheed great players. What General Grevious did that night, is what GREAT players do, they will their team to victory.

Rich
03-06-2014, 04:39 PM
The look was certainly there for the 2010 team long before March 5th. That team started playing together, with fight, and with purpose long before March 5th which is the date we looked uninspired and weak in 2014.

After the Maryland at Duke game in 2010(I want to say mid January but not certain), the team didn't lose too many more games. And when we played, we looked a hell of a lot tougher, meaner, and mentally stronger than the last 5 minutes last night. I've never questioned this team's skill and think we have more lottery picks on this team than the 2010 team. But possessing skill and possessing the killer instinct are two entirely different things.

Actually, the 2010 team took a bad loss to NC State in mid-January and these Boards made it seem like the season was over. That team also had a .500 or so road record. They lost to MD in late Feb-early March, but that was a decent MD team with Grievis Vasquez playing on Senior Night. Most on this Board accepted that loss as a tough one to win and one in which Vasquez put the team on his shoulders and would not let them lose. Also, that MD team was a much better team than 2014 WF.

I'm not done with our boys just yet, but their lack of consistency and fight this late in the season is disconcerting. I agree it's a matter of not having leadership at key positions and/or by talented guys. Freshmen don't generally lead teams, sneiors do. And our seniors aren't that talented and don't make enough of (or any, in Josh's case) impact on the game.

CameronDuke
03-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Actually, the 2010 team took a bad loss to NC State in mid-January and these Boards made it seem like the season was over. That team also had a .500 or so road record. They lost to MD in late Feb-early March, but that was a decent MD team with Grievis Vasquez playing on Senior Night. Most on this Board accepted that loss as a tough one to win and one in which Vasquez put the team on his shoulders and would not let them lose. Also, that MD team was a much better team than 2014 WF.

I'm not done with our boys just yet, but their lack of consistency and fight this late in the season is disconcerting. I agree it's a matter of not having leadership at key positions and/or by talented guys. Freshmen don't generally lead teams, sneiors do. And our seniors aren't that talented and don't make enough of an impact on the game.

Agreed and thanks for correcting me. May I add, I just pointed out, we have one senior that doesn't make an impact on the game because he doesn't even play in the game...

Troublemaker
03-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Agreed and thanks for correcting me. May I add, I just pointed out, we have one senior that doesn't make an impact on the game because he doesn't even play in the game...

I look at it more positively, that Josh's younger, more talented teammates Amile and Marshall have emerged, played well, and moved him into the role of the 4th big man, which most seasons isn't going to get much playing time, but especially this season since Rodney has also seen time at the 4.

SoCalDukeFan
03-06-2014, 07:59 PM
The 2010 team is one of my favorites, maybe my all time Duke favorite. And they were a TEAM. This year we have talented players but we are still far from a team. Watching the 2010 team you knew exactly the substitution pattern. This year we still seem to be experimenting.

K is a master of finding the right buttons to push. Not much time left, hope he finds them.

I really hope the Wake game resulted from a week lay off after a tough stretch and the team focused on unc-ch. Does not say much for the leadership if they looked ahead, but it does say they we will be ready Saturday.

Josh Hairston's play or ability has nothing to do with this team's problems. I guess if he were a star then we would have real senior leadership from a very good player but then he might in the NBA. This team has enough talent to easily beat Wake with Josh on the bench.

SoCal