PDA

View Full Version : Women's ACC tourney: Duke - Notre Dame

AIM4excellence
03-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Day 1 has all games going to higher seed. Four games tomorrow. 6 pm game features Virginia v Georgia Tech with the winner playing Duke at 6 pm Friday. Will be cheering for Virginia, but they played today already so Ga Tech is favored. Tech has Senior Tyuanna Marshall and stud frosh Kaela Davis. Duke will have the advantage Friday with either team since we'll be well rested. Hopefully they've had a good week becoming more familiar with new roles and Tricia's back is feeling better. We need her 'A' game from here on out. After the ACC, there will be a week before finding out the NCAA matchups, then 5 days until the NCAA tourney begins. It's almost like pre-season with so much time between games. All games are on FSS Ch 50 Cable.

GO DUKE!!

killerleft
03-06-2014, 08:36 AM
Are you at the tourney? I hope to be there Friday. Anyway, thanks for the report.

AIM4excellence
03-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Are you at the tourney? I hope to be there Friday. Anyway, thanks for the report.

Nope. Not attending this year. I've been going since it was held in Fayetteville, but not going this year.

DU82
03-06-2014, 10:05 PM
In the last game of the day, Wake led the Smurfs by 12 at the half, 39-27. However, the light blue shot the lights out to start the second half, scoring 7 in a row before the lights literally went out. (The snow/sleet storm blowing through the area is probably what's really at fault.) A little more than 16 minutes remain.

Not sure what happens if the game can't be continued tonight. The winner plays number 3 seed Maryland in tomorrow night's nightcap, so the two teams could play first thing tomorrow (the first game is at 11 when they let the school kids in; the 1-8 game is at 3, with Duke (#2) at 6.)

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2014, 08:08 AM
In the last game of the day, Wake led the Smurfs by 12 at the half, 39-27. However, the light blue shot the lights out to start the second half, scoring 7 in a row before the lights literally went out. (The snow/sleet storm blowing through the area is probably what's really at fault.) A little more than 16 minutes remain.

Not sure what happens if the game can't be continued tonight. The winner plays number 3 seed Maryland in tomorrow night's nightcap, so the two teams could play first thing tomorrow (the first game is at 11 when they let the school kids in; the 1-8 game is at 3, with Duke (#2) at 6.)
I was wondering when I saw the score stuck at 16 minutes for a long time, I thought maybe ESPN's feed had gone wacky. The baby blues pulled it out in the end, 69-65. Rats.

DU82
03-07-2014, 08:49 AM
I was wondering when I saw the score stuck at 16 minutes for a long time, I thought maybe ESPN's feed had gone wacky. The baby blues pulled it out in the end, 69-65. Rats.

I turned it off once the smurfs took a two possession lead, didn't want to watch any more.

They've delayed the start today to noon, playing two sessions instead of three. Our game is still on at six, against GT.

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2014, 02:12 PM
I turned it off once the smurfs took a two possession lead, didn't want to watch any more.

They've delayed the start today to noon, playing two sessions instead of three. Our game is still on at six, against GT.
I bet the crowds are sparse. A friend of mine in Gboro lost her power about an hour ago, her work was cancelled for the day. Perfect day to stay home; safe travels to all of the teams and fans today.

Duvall
03-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Duke finishes the first half against GTU with a 14-4 run. That'll work.

burnspbesq
03-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Duke finishes the first half against GTU with a 14-4 run. That'll work.

Duke's last two baskets were, ummm, interesting: EWill coast-to-coast and a Ka'lia Johnson three.

burnspbesq
03-07-2014, 07:25 PM
And 15-7 to open the second half. Seventeen point lead with 14 to go.

AIM4excellence
03-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Duke's last two baskets were, ummm, interesting: EWill coast-to-coast and a Ka'lia Johnson three.

Both are signs that Duke is playing loose. Ka'lia can make those shots when she's feeling confident and getting some playing time. Also they are signs that this team has worked hard to change up roles. And WAY better communication on defense. Defenders are staying with their player when they have the ball and the player defending in that zone moves over to cover the now undefended space.

Georgia Tech is making this team look great! But, to be honest, this Duke team is playing with great energy right now.

burnspbesq
03-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Duke is fortunate that Ty Marshall, who I think is going to play in the WNBA, is having a stinker in what will probably be her last college game.

Duvall
03-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Duke showing the creativity on offense they need now.

CR9
03-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Marry me, Haley.

burnspbesq
03-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Is that Frush's first career rebound?

Duvall
03-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Is that Frush's first career rebound?

First this year, eighth of her career.

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm way happy. Very inspiring, solid win to start off the weekend. That was the best I have seen them play as a team in a while, even before Alexis went down. I'm feeling a little better now about our hopes of getting through to Sunday.
Haley was great, but I also LOVED the game from EWill, she was everywhere today, and producing.
Keep it up, ladies. LGD!!!

Duvall
03-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Looks like Maryland's participation in ACC women's basketball will end tonight.

-jk
03-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Looks like Maryland's participation in ACC women's basketball will end tonight.

Going out with a whimper...

-jk

arnie
03-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Going out with a whimper...

-jk

Not necessarily

Duvall
03-07-2014, 10:30 PM
Quality late-game execution by the Terps.

-jk
03-07-2014, 10:36 PM
Not necessarily

Alas.

-jk

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2014, 11:01 PM
GTHC double header. The women will still be playing by the time the men tip.

killerleft
03-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Great comeback win by Devils, 66-61. The big story was the adjustment by Duke to play a box-and-one against Delina DeWhine. Clutch play all around by Duke.

AIM4excellence
03-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Great comeback win by Devils, 66-61. The big story was the adjustment by Duke to play a box-and-one against Delina DeWhine. Clutch play all around by Duke.

Best coaching I've ever seen McCallie do. YES! Major adjustment to stop DeShields from winning the game. And major props to the coach and the team for working hard to bring Oderah and Ka'lia in as key components of the team. Both of them stepped up at key times of this game to get the win. Ka'lia sunk two free throws and a three and Oderah iced the final four free throws to seal the victory.

Even if we'd lost this game, i would be here to give McCallie her props. This is what I've been looking for. I hope we can play decently against Notre Dame, but tonight was a big victory.

GTHCGTH!!

killerleft
03-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Excuse my mix-up, that was Diamond DeWhine, of course! I don't like her at all. Her losing was almost as fun as the win. We showed the experience advantage we had at the end, I thought.

burnspbesq
03-08-2014, 11:24 PM
And South Carolina and Stanford both lose. If we spring the upset tomorrow (or even come close), we should be back in the conversation for a 1 seed.

AIM4excellence
03-08-2014, 11:34 PM
Excuse my mix-up, that was Diamond DeWhine, of course! I don't like her at all. Her losing was almost as fun as the win. We showed the experience advantage we had at the end, I thought.

I love that she got called out for the Technical after screaming in Haley's face after sinking that big 3. But I especially love that McCallie stuck Ka'lia on her faceguarding her right after that. Everyone, including Diamond, knew she could get her shot anytime she wanted. But Carolina wasn't ready for the box and one and for Diamond being unable to get the ball. That was huge. And, of course having Ka'lia and Oderah make shots and free throws was huge.

For both Oderah and Ka'lia, it was a major confidence booster to know they'd be playing big minutes and that the team was counting on them. Both came up big. You have to have the confidence to sink those shots, to want the ball, to make those plays.

Great win for DWB. And double win over Heels tonight. GTHCGTH!

This is how you shut up a player like Diamond. By stopping her and beating her. Do your due diligence and beat her on the floor.

CameronBornAndBred
03-09-2014, 12:00 PM
She is fun to beat, like Ivory Latta was fun to beat. Nice to know Ivory was on the bench witnessing it. :D

Kedsy
03-09-2014, 12:23 PM
Great effort, exciting game. Duke had opportunities to give up and fought through them for a tough win.

Win or lose tonight, I'm really proud of this team and way they keep going.

Duvall
03-09-2014, 12:25 PM
I love that she got called out for the Technical after screaming in Haley's face after sinking that big 3. But I especially love that McCallie stuck Ka'lia on her faceguarding her right after that. Everyone, including Diamond, knew she could get her shot anytime she wanted. But Carolina wasn't ready for the box and one and for Diamond being unable to get the ball. That was huge. And, of course having Ka'lia and Oderah make shots and free throws was huge.

For both Oderah and Ka'lia, it was a major confidence booster to know they'd be playing big minutes and that the team was counting on them. Both came up big. You have to have the confidence to sink those shots, to want the ball, to make those plays.

Great win for DWB. And double win over Heels tonight. GTHCGTH!

This is how you shut up a player like Diamond. By stopping her and beating her. Do your due diligence and beat her on the floor.

Duke had success with the diamond-and-Diamond? Nice.

Kedsy
03-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Duke had success with the diamond-and-Diamond? Nice.

When we went into the box and one, I mentioned that to my wife ("diamond-and-Diamond"). It cracked me up, but she wasn't so impressed.

OldPhiKap
03-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Let's go DUKE!

CameronBornAndBred
03-09-2014, 01:24 PM
I have no idea what to expect tonight...ND has turned it up a notch, they obliterated State yesterday. I do know we'll come out hungry, I just hope we don't wind up playing catch-up early. We have been impressive in both our wins so far, and I truly believe yesterday was an upset, even though we had the higher ranking and seed. We are a new team, and still learning how to play together. LGD!!!

MCFinARL
03-09-2014, 01:32 PM
I have no idea what to expect tonight...ND has turned it up a notch, they obliterated State yesterday. I do know we'll come out hungry, I just hope we don't wind up playing catch-up early. We have been impressive in both our wins so far, and I truly believe yesterday was an upset, even though we had the higher ranking and seed. We are a new team, and still learning how to play together. LGD!!!

Yes, trying to be realistic, it's hard to see much chance for Duke to win, as Notre Dame doesn't seem like the kind of team to take anything for granted. I will be satisfied with a solid performance that makes the most of the players we have, regardless of final score--and I will be ecstatic if Duke can keep this close from the start instead of digging a big hole. If they do, well, an upset isn't impossible.

AIM4excellence
03-09-2014, 02:15 PM
And South Carolina and Stanford both lose. If we spring the upset tomorrow (or even come close), we should be back in the conversation for a 1 seed.

In the conversation? Yes. However, a number of things have to happen for Duke to get the #1 seed:

1) Duke has to beat ND tonight
2) Kentucky beat Tennessee in the SEC Final
3) Both Baylor and W.Virginia lose in the B12 semifinals
4) Louisville loses today in the AAC semi

Unless the committee decides that Louisville hasn't done enough (they haven't) to earn a #1 seed, they get it. That just leaves one. Baylor and W. Virginia are both playing well so if they meet in the B12 final, I think the winner gets the 4th #1.

If Tennessee beats Kentucky easily, they have a legit shot at that 4th #1.

So, yeah, we're in the conversation, but in reality, we're playing for the highest 2 seed we can muster, which would mean not facing UConn or ND to go to the FF. Playing a good game against ND tonight would help a lot. But other teams losing would help at least as much.

chrishoke
03-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Best coaching I've ever seen McCallie do. YES! Major adjustment to stop DeShields from winning the game. And major props to the coach and the team for working hard to bring Oderah and Ka'lia in as key components of the team. Both of them stepped up at key times of this game to get the win. Ka'lia sunk two free throws and a three and Oderah iced the final four free throws to seal the victory.

Even if we'd lost this game, i would be here to give McCallie her props. This is what I've been looking for. I hope we can play decently against Notre Dame, but tonight was a big victory.

GTHCGTH!!

This is a nit pick, but the diamond in one was not an adjustment, it was a pre-game coaching plan that was perfectly wrought and executed. Great job coaches and team. Diamond and the Heels had no time to regroup and adjust

AIM4excellence
03-09-2014, 06:37 PM
This is a nit pick, but the diamond in one was not an adjustment, it was a pre-game coaching plan that was perfectly wrought and executed. Great job coaches and team. Diamond and the Heels had no time to regroup and adjust

Well, I'll let you know next time I need anyone to come over and pick my nits.

Anyway, the four keys were to the box and 1 working: 1) deciding to have the box and 1 ready, 2) selecting Ka'lia to face guard DD, 2) getting everyone ready to implement it and 4) timing the implementation of it. I think that waiting until the second half made it more effective because the Heels had decided to make everything go through DD on every play so taking her out really disrupted their offense pretty effectively.

I am beyond excited that our coach made such a move and the team executed it perfectly. That last second 3 that didn't fall for DD, I feel certain that if she were in her rhythm, it falls. But, even if it had, I would still be happy that we put forth the effort to try something really different that had a decent chance of working. Having the week to work on it helped, I think.

Now that we've got that in the arsenal, maybe we'll break it out when facing another hot shooter. Other teams know to prepare for it now, but using it judiciously, it can still be effective.

chrishoke
03-09-2014, 06:50 PM
AIM, your four points are right on. Go Duke! Beat the Golden Domers.

AIM4excellence
03-09-2014, 07:12 PM
10-8 at the under 16 time out. Great start!

killerleft
03-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Duke 20-19 at under 8 break, Williams, Peters doing well.

AIM4excellence
03-09-2014, 07:27 PM
10-8 at the under 16 time out. Great start!

And 20-19, under 8.

EWill 8/4
Haley 8/2 w/ 1 assist

ND defensive focus on EWill and Tricia

Karl Beem
03-09-2014, 07:34 PM
Very strange looking calls.

killerleft
03-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Tied at the half 28 all. Only 6 turnovers, everybody's playing well. Liston 2 fouls.

dukelifer
03-09-2014, 07:45 PM
Tied at the half 28 all. Only 6 turnovers, everybody's playing well. Liston 2 fouls.

Team playing with a lot of heart. Will need a great shooting half to win but so far- they have played with Notre Dame.

MCFinARL
03-09-2014, 07:46 PM

Very excited with how this is going so far. Didn't see the beginning so I missed Liston's first foul but I thought the second one--the charge call--was a pretty odd, not to say phantom, call. There was no replay though so I could be wrong.

DU82
03-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Very excited with how this is going so far. Didn't see the beginning so I missed Liston's first foul but I thought the second one--the charge call--was a pretty odd, not to say phantom, call. There was no replay though so I could be wrong.

I replayed it with my DVR. Defensive player was there. ND still flops more than Dez Wells, though.

killerleft
03-09-2014, 08:12 PM
5 turnovers in 4 minutes, down 6. ND with 10 straight after 4 to open by Duke.

dukelifer
03-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Notre Dame making threes and putting on the pressure on Duke's limited ball handlers. Liston is having a tough day. Will need someone to get very hot for Duke to have a shot. Notre Dame is really good.

dukelifer
03-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Notre Dame making threes and putting on the pressure on Duke's limited ball handlers. Liston is having a tough day. Will need someone to get very hot for Duke to have a shot. Notre Dame is really good.

Not looking good now. Notre Dame is on a huge run

killerleft
03-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Back within 9, but Richa just picked up her 4th foul. Last chance to get back in it is now. 7 plus left.

killerleft
03-09-2014, 08:43 PM
Back within 10 now, but only 4 plus left. This game has been winnable, but the guard situation leaves our best offensive player, Liston, with very few openings for a good shot.

chrishoke
03-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Devils are still fighting hard.

dukelifer
03-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Back within 10 now, but only 4 plus left. This game has been winnable, but the guard situation leaves our best offensive player, Liston, with very few openings for a good shot.

Fighting hard but horrible ball handling and free throw shooting. Too many turnovers. Good effort but needed an other-worldly performance by someone. Did not happen.

wandalee
03-09-2014, 09:01 PM
The ladies fought hard the whole time - just outmanned. But at least we fought well against a top team, something we haven't done in a long time.

killerleft
03-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Well, we had our chances to make it interesting with 3 minutes or so left, but bad shooting and turnovers killed us. I think we were 3-12 on free throws. 69-53. We HAVE to figure out how to get Liston free, but that's tough when a great team like Notre Dame knows that, too. I think we deserved more free throws, 10 came in the last 5 minutes, but the way we shot them...

AIM4excellence
03-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Team playing with a lot of heart. Will need a great shooting half to win but so far- they have played with Notre Dame.

Decent showing for the team today. With a short bench, playing 3 in 3 days is tough. I wonder if Tricia's back tightened up? EWill had a great game - finally playing like the best center in the country (which she is). I think this team did well to stay about 10 away and not letting ND start running away with the game. I think it was a combo of mental and physical fatigue that messed up the free throw shooting. And, yeah, ND has a pair of AA's at each wing.

What McCallie and the coaching staff did this past week - to devise and deploy a different defense that was a game-changer yesterday - I want to see that in the week between the first weekend and the second in the NCAA tourney. No focus on the seeding, but straight into film, strategy and teaching in practice.

But, basically, Duke played a great ACC tourney. They should have the confidence to get to the Elite Eight again and then put up a good game in the Regional Final. We've got over a week until we learn the match ups. I hope the team gets a day of rest then back to basics to get ready for rounds 1 & 2 in CIS.

Dukehky
03-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Played tough, just not enough fire-power anymore. Still a very good tournament run for this Duke team. At least we didn't go 0-3 against UNC, a very good thing.

burnspbesq
03-10-2014, 12:05 AM
Alas, the game is not 34 minutes long.

CameronBornAndBred
03-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Solid game and I was very happy with our performance. I think if ND has faced tougher tests in their first two games, this would have been even closer. My observation was that we were fatigued down the stretch, which will always factor in missed shots (layups and threes both). Here are the box score minutes from Saturday for both teams' starters.
ND
Ariel Braker 15
Natalie Achonwa 16
Kayla McBride 20
Jewell Loyd 21
Lindsay Allen 24

Duke
Haley Peters 36
Elizabeth Williams 32
Tricia Liston 31
Richa Jackson 35
Ka'lia Johnson 34

So ND played an average of under 20 minutes while we played an average of over 30.

In contrast, on Sunday, ND's bench pretty much stayed on the bench. So did Duke's, once again.

ND
Ariel Braker 15
Natalie Achonwa 37
Kayla McBride 36
Jewell Loyd 38
Lindsay Allen 29

Duke
Haley Peters 34
Elizabeth Williams 36
Tricia Liston 33
Richa Jackson 31
Ka'lia Johnson 36

Our ladies played strong for 30 plus minutes, but fatigue is a harsh enemy. Still, a solid game and a great tourney. Two weeks of practice lies ahead, and I'm sure it will be used well as we continue to discover who this new team is. Go Duke!!

Kedsy
03-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Our ladies played strong for 30 plus minutes, but fatigue is a harsh enemy. Still, a solid game and a great tourney. Two weeks of practice lies ahead, and I'm sure it will be used well as we continue to discover who this new team is. Go Duke!!

Yeah, I thought we played really well but just ran out of gas. Elizabeth and Haley were great, and though she didn't fill up the box score, I thought Ka'lia was outstanding.

I also kept thinking, if only we had Chelsea and Alexis to defend McBride and Loyd. We could have taken this game.

burnspbesq
03-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I thought we played really well but just ran out of gas. Elizabeth and Haley were great, and though she didn't fill up the box score, I thought Ka'lia was outstanding.

I also kept thinking, if only we had Chelsea and Alexis to defend McBride and Loyd. We could have taken this game.

I dunno, if the question has to do with defense, I'm not sure Alexis Jones is the answer.

After the disruptive, arguably game-changing effect that going to a box-and-one had at the end of the Carolina game, I did find myself wondering why we didn't go triangle-and-two out of the first timeout we called to try and stop what turned out to be the game-changing 19-4 run early in the second half.

Kedsy
03-10-2014, 03:38 PM
I dunno, if the question has to do with defense, I'm not sure Alexis Jones is the answer.

Alexis is quick enough to at least hang with Loyd. I think if Chelsea could bottle up McBride, with Elizabeth playing as well as she has been down low, as long as we didn't let Loyd roam free we'd have been OK.

Obviously we'll never know, either way.

Duvall
03-10-2014, 03:48 PM

*Was* the question defense? Notre Dame scored only 1.03 points per possession, and that's with garbage time after Duke was gassed. Seemed like Duke needed more help on the offensive end.

aswewere
03-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Good efforts and tighten up our zone worked for the first half. Liston is one of the
nations best 3 point shooters and the offensive schemes we have run for years did
not get her one open look. Unless we find another Brittney Griner type player in our
recruiting efforts don't look for N C with a high school offensive attack. Twitter looks
better and she promises to work on improving plus opponents names are being mentioned.
Who knows all the lights may come on one day.

tieguy
03-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Notre Dame scored only 1.03 points per possession...

Just FYI, the women's game has a lower overall PPP than the men's game, so to say that we allowed "only" 1.03 PPP is misleading. 1.03 PPP would make you a top-25 offense this year in WBB (per the numbers at wbbstate.com); you would not crack the top 150 in the men's game that way. Duke, for the year, allows on average 0.85 PPP, so this was .18 PPP worse than our average. (Our average is surprisingly only 40th in the country this year, admittedly not schedule-adjusted - for the nth time I want Kenpom to include the women in his stats.)

None of this is to criticize the team, which I think did an amazing job under tough circumstances, or even the coaching, which I'm normally happy to criticize :) Just to say that allowing 1.03 PPP is not as impressive as it might sound if you're coming from familiarity with the men's side.

~tieguy

AIM4excellence
03-10-2014, 06:49 PM
Good efforts and tighten up our zone worked for the first half. Liston is one of the
nations best 3 point shooters and the offensive schemes we have run for years did
not get her one open look. Unless we find another Brittney Griner type player in our
recruiting efforts don't look for N C with a high school offensive attack. Twitter looks
better and she promises to work on improving plus opponents names are being mentioned.
Who knows all the lights may come on one day.

Agree. I think this tourney was a step forward, after many steps backward. Right direction. Now we need more of it. More forward. More hard work by the coaching staff to devise schemes to make the most of the current players, warts and all. They are what they are - chess pieces, but no queen. We've got knights, rooks and bishops making it hard, but not impossible to beat a team with a queen. Of course none of us know the specific health of the players, but I suspect Tricia was hampered most by 3 games in 3 days and her back possibly tightening up. The coaching staff needs to study the board as it exists and keep working and teaching the team. Screens need to be harder/tighter. Tricia would come around a screen and her defender would be right there already. A good screen is an open shot. A weak screen is not. A good chess player never forgets to use the knights.

As I said earlier, it was a step forward for McCallie to get back at DD by stopping her on the court. That is exactly what I want and expect. This team needs and deserves a coach that funnels their passion into devising and teaching attacks and defenses on the court. Keep it going forward and even double down. Have several schemes up your sleeve for every game. Box and 1 here, triangle and 2 there. Traps here, a little motion plus tight screens there. Know when you want to use each, get all the players comfortable with each. If Richa's usual attack mode is shut down, sit her down a few minutes and get her in another gear OR have some specific screens set up to get her drive going. When Richa's drive is shut down, she's not gonna hit a 3. It's just not happening.

I've gotten a little, now I want a whole lot more of it.

burnspbesq
03-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Screens need to be harder/tighter.

Oh my god yes! I think the last opposing player who got her fillings loosened by a screen set by a Duke player might have been Ivory Latta, and that was a long, long time ago. It takes two to really set a screen: the screener has to be in the right place at the right time, and the player with the ball has to run off the screen so tight that there is no room to get over.

Maybe a guest lecture by Jordan Wolf and Case Matheis would be in order. ;-) Or maybe Tricia should watch about ten hours of tape of J.J. Redick.

burnspbesq
03-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Alexis is quick enough to at least hang with Loyd.

Quickness is not the issue. Willingness is the issue.

AIM4excellence
03-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Oh my god yes! I think the last opposing player who got her fillings loosened by a screen set by a Duke player might have been Ivory Latta, and that was a long, long time ago. It takes two to really set a screen: the screener has to be in the right place at the right time, and the player with the ball has to run off the screen so tight that there is no room to get over.

Maybe a guest lecture by Jordan Wolf and Case Matheis would be in order. ;-) Or maybe Tricia should watch about ten hours of tape of J.J. Redick.

I can see that Ali Bales screen on Ivory like it was yesterday. It's on my personal highlight reel. Ali was the master of timing - her blocks were things of beauty! Any coming off screens was a priority at practice. While we're at it, do you remember the "elevator" triple screen? It was masterful and clever.

Class of '94
03-11-2014, 10:48 AM
After watching all 3 games this past weekend, I was really proud of the effort, heart and (mental as well physical) toughness the women showed at the ACCT. To come back against Carolina and hang-in there with ND (despite being shorthanded) showed a lot and was a great testament the DWB program. With all the adversity they had, the DWB team played like a champion and I too wished they could've played ND with Chelsea and Alexis.. And kudos to Coach McCallie and the coaching staff for getting the team prepared and ready to play in this tournament. I though McCallie overall had a great gameplan for this team; and really coached these girls up. I think Johnson has played unbelievably well; and I remember on the ND telecast (I believe) that an announcer noted that she gave credit to the coaching staff (and specifically an assistant coach) for keeping her ready. It was great to see the DWB team fight and not back down to any team they played over the weekend.

I agree with Aim4Excellence in that I like the fact that they have two weeks to prepare for the NCAAT. iIf Coach McCallie and staff can get the girls to play this well at the ACCT with about 3-4 days of preparation and the team can cut down on their turnovers and make more FTs, I think this team can do well in the tournament , I can only imagine how well the team will look and play with about 2 weeks to prepare, I think they can make a very nice run in the tournament this season (maybe as far as the Elite 8).

Again, I tip my hat to Coach, the staff and the team for a great run and showing at the ACCT, especially considering all of the adversity they've had to deal with this season.

aswewere
03-11-2014, 08:14 PM
N D picks up player / coach of the year awards as they
set the bar very high for the rest of us.

http://www.und.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/031114aaa.html

jtelander
03-12-2014, 06:21 AM
I agree with Aim4Excellence in that I like the fact that they have two weeks to prepare for the NCAAT. iIf Coach McCallie and staff can get the girls to play this well at the ACCT with about 3-4 days of preparation and the team can cut down on their turnovers and make more FTs, I think this team can do well in the tournament , I can only imagine how well the team will look and play with about 2 weeks to prepare, I think they can make a very nice run in the tournament this season (maybe as far as the Elite 8).
While the coaching staff has about 2 weeks to prepare, my understanding is the players are on Spring Break and, upon their return, will have about one week to prepare

Class of '94
03-12-2014, 10:51 AM
While the coaching staff has about 2 weeks to prepare, my understanding is the players are on Spring Break and, upon their return, will have about one week to prepare

Got it......If that's true, I still think that bodes well for the team because it will give them time to heal and recharge, which I think would benefit players like Liston, while still giving the ladies significant time to prep for the NCAAT. And even if the players go away for a week on Spring Break, I doubt the coaches will be away for that amount of time; I would imagine they will still spend this time looking at film of the team, evaluating and making decisions on how best to prepare the team for the NCAAT.

MCFinARL
03-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Got it......If that's true, I still think that bodes well for the team because it will give them time to heal and recharge, which I think would benefit players like Liston, while still giving the ladies significant time to prep for the NCAAT. And even if the players go away for a week on Spring Break, I doubt the coaches will be away for that amount of time; I would imagine they will still spend this time looking at film of the team, evaluating and making decisions on how best to prepare the team for the NCAAT.

I don't know what the women's team does. I'm pretty sure the men are on campus preparing even though it is spring break--although of course their situation is different because they have tournament to play this weekend and the women don't.

DU82
03-12-2014, 01:02 PM
I don't know what the women's team does. I'm pretty sure the men are on campus preparing even though it is spring break--although of course their situation is different because they have tournament to play this weekend and the women don't.

In the past, they have often, if not always, headed to Myrtle Beach as a team. Hopefully they're enjoying some beach time right now. (Unfortunately, the weather's much like Durham, mid 60s, cloudy with rain moving in.)

The coaches can't prepare for specific games until Monday night when the brackets are announced. At least they'll know where they'll play.

AIM4excellence
03-12-2014, 04:40 PM
In the past, they have often, if not always, headed to Myrtle Beach as a team. Hopefully they're enjoying some beach time right now. (Unfortunately, the weather's much like Durham, mid 60s, cloudy with rain moving in.)

The coaches can't prepare for specific games until Monday night when the brackets are announced. At least they'll know where they'll play.

They can't prepare for specific teams, true. But they can prepare their top priorities for getting this team ready. What to focus on in practice. How to attack different kinds of defenses. How to teach exactly how to time things on offense and defense. While it should be "fine tuning" time, due to the late injuries/defection, it's about the rotation players becoming more familiar with each other. But also, Ka'lia and Oderah can do some things well that weren't in the injured players repertoires. Maximize what you've got. I hope the team is back practicing by the weekend.

burnspbesq
03-12-2014, 07:15 PM
They can't prepare for specific teams, true. But they can prepare their top priorities for getting this team ready. What to focus on in practice. How to attack different kinds of defenses. How to teach exactly how to time things on offense and defense. While it should be "fine tuning" time, due to the late injuries/defection, it's about the rotation players becoming more familiar with each other. But also, Ka'lia and Oderah can do some things well that weren't in the injured players repertoires. Maximize what you've got. I hope the team is back practicing by the weekend.

If it were me, I would have locked the gym Monday and Tuesday and told everybody who doesn't need medical or trainer attention to get out of Dodge. It's a long hard grind of a season, and two days to decompress seem to me to be invaluable right about now.

Today would be optional: come in and shoot or lift if you want, but there is no formal practice. Film tomorrow morning, and then back at it in the afternoon, and a normal practice schedule from now until the 22nd.

aswewere
03-12-2014, 07:48 PM
If it were me, I would have locked the gym Monday and Tuesday and told everybody who doesn't need medical or trainer attention to get out of Dodge. It's a long hard grind of a season, and two days to decompress seem to me to be invaluable right about now.

Today would be optional: come in and shoot or lift if you want, but there is no formal practice. Film tomorrow morning, and then back at it in the afternoon, and a normal practice schedule from now until the 22nd.

They are on spring break until the weekend.