PDA

View Full Version : Coach K had dizziness during the game

Gthoma2a
03-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Obviously, this had nothing to do with the performance of the team out there. Coach Wojo said during the press conference that we just played badly, but Coach wasn't feeling well the entire game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a88yzCqZu9M&feature=youtu.be&a

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 45m
Wojo on K: "He is in as good of shape as can be...maybe the emotion got the best of him." Notes that #Duke wasn't playing well

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 46m
Wojo: K had to take a knee during a timeout, lightheaded and dizziness persisted through after the game. Full recovery expected

Regardless of the emotion from the loss we have to, more importantly, hope he feels 100% tomorrow. That's the big take away from the night, for me.

dukelifer
03-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Obviously, this had nothing to do with the performance of the team out there. Coach Wojo said during the press conference that we just played badly, but Coach wasn't feeling well the entire game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a88yzCqZu9M&feature=youtu.be&a

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 45m
Wojo on K: "He is in as good of shape as can be...maybe the emotion got the best of him." Notes that #Duke wasn't playing well

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 46m
Wojo: K had to take a knee during a timeout, lightheaded and dizziness persisted through after the game. Full recovery expected

Who knows but I will bet he gets a full workup at the insistence of Mickie. I doubt anyone knows for sure why he was lightheaded.

FerryFor50
03-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Who knows but I will bet he gets a full workup at the insistence of Mickie. I doubt anyone knows for sure why he was lightheaded.

Could be a variety of things. Low blood sugar, stress (it *has* been a tough year for K), vertigo (ask Roy about that), lack of sleep, heat... I wouldn't worry until given cause to worry. K is in good shape for his age.

Good thing he coaches at a school with a top notch medical school and hospital system... :)

DevilYouthCoach
03-05-2014, 10:32 PM
Not to be alarmist, but I know from experience that whenever you tell a doctor that you are dizzy (and you are over 50) the doctor will take you very seriously. It's a symptom of lots of pretty bad things -- strokes, heart attacks, viral vertigo, a long list. And if Coach K was so weak or dizzy that he couldn't stand during the timeouts, then who knows what's going on. And as to whether it affected the team: OF COURSE IT DID. Our guys are used to having a totally involved, insanely competitive leader out there. You lose even 25 % of that fire and that competitive drive, then you're a bit at sea (and we were certainly at sea!)

SoCalDukeFan
03-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Not to be alarmist, but I know from experience that whenever you tell a doctor that you are dizzy (and you are over 50) the doctor will take you very seriously. It's a symptom of lots of pretty bad things -- strokes, heart attacks, viral vertigo, a long list. And if Coach K was so weak or dizzy that he couldn't stand during the timeouts, then who knows what's going on. And as to whether it affected the team: OF COURSE IT DID. Our guys are used to having a totally involved, insanely competitive leader out there. You lose even 25 % of that fire and that competitive drive, then you're a bit at sea (and we were certainly at sea!)

While I agree that the doctors will and should take this very seriously, it is not for sure that it is a bad thing. I know someone who takes medication and tries to keep his blood pressure around 110, he sometimes get dizzy bending over.

I do agree completely that it affected the team.

SoCal

sagegrouse
03-05-2014, 10:51 PM
Coach is 67, not 57. Stuff happens. The doctors will examine him closely. There will be some guarded public announcement, and then we'll see.

I hope he is OK.

weezie
03-06-2014, 06:50 AM
The cretins at IC have their various idiotic comments on the matter.
I'd so love to hit the collective lot of them in the head with a frying pan.

Troublemaker
03-06-2014, 07:07 AM
Good thing he coaches at a school with a top notch medical school and hospital system... http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.png

Per GoDuke (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209427636&DB_OEM_ID=4200), Coach did indeed get examined at Duke University Hospital for precautionary tests and then was sent home.

From the link (no need to click on link if you read the following),
Duke Athletics Statement on Mike Krzyzewski:

“Coach Krzyzewski experienced lightheadedness during and after the Duke-Wake Forest game on Wednesday night. Following the contest, he was examined by Duke medical personnel on site and again at Duke University Hospital for precautionary tests upon returning to Durham. His symptoms and condition have improved considerably, and Coach Krzyzewski was sent home during the early morning hours on Thursday.”

CLW
03-06-2014, 07:21 AM
Hopefully, its nothing serious and K is able to return Saturday.

The interesting thing is K was admittedly not himself after the loss of his brother for the Notre Dame and Clemson games. So without a 100% K this team has 3 really bad losses. To me that just screams lack of leadership from the players on the court. It has also got to be concerning for the day in 2027 when K finally calls it a career.

BobbyFan
03-06-2014, 07:28 AM
Dizziness is a vague symptom that can be associated with diagnoses ranging in severity from minor to very serious. Not surprising to see that it was evaluated further, and glad to see he was cleared.

BD80
03-06-2014, 08:41 AM
I felt a bit of nausea while watching the game, could it be related?

DukeFanSince1990
03-06-2014, 08:51 AM
I had some weird physical things happen to me the year my dad died. The doctor said it was normal to experience these things during a mourning period. It can be pretty serious, I thought I was having a heart attack. Hopefully that’s all that is going on.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-06-2014, 09:36 AM
As one experiencing grieving myself, I concur with what DukeFanSince1990 said.

It cannot be said enough: we are all human, including Coach K and the team. As close as the team and coach are, it is highly likely that the team's emotions and performance are influenced by what Coach K is experiencing. Despite being very talented and very skilled, none of them are machines. There are times when the events of life take over for a while.

nmduke2001
03-06-2014, 09:51 AM
I mentioned this on the post-game thread, but I'll mention it here too; Wednesday was Ash Wednesday. Traditionally, Catholics fast on Ash Wednesday. I know that late in the afternoon I was feeling a little lightheaded. Not sure if Coach K was fasting, but it could be a reason.

superdave
03-06-2014, 10:22 AM
The cretins at IC have their various idiotic comments on the matter.
I'd so love to hit the collective lot of them in the head with a frying pan.

Or shoot them with a bb gun.

Reilly
03-06-2014, 10:33 AM
The norms on fasting (for those 18 to 59; bit of food allowed):
http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/liturgical-resources/lent/catholic-information-on-lenten-fast-and-abstinence.cfm

During the game, I noitced K seemed to have two very red sharp little pouches under his eyes -- looked like something was amiss there. And I didn't know he was feeling bad (that is, I had not seen the real-time Twitter reports and wasn't really listening to the commentary if they mentioned anything about it) -- but I was struck my the red sort of sharp protrusion/pouch under each eye.

OldPhiKap
03-06-2014, 11:50 AM
I mentioned this on the post-game thread, but I'll mention it here too; Wednesday was Ash Wednesday. Traditionally, Catholics fast on Ash Wednesday. I know that late in the afternoon I was feeling a little lightheaded. Not sure if Coach K was fasting, but it could be a reason.

Certainly could be a factor, very good point. Low blood sugar, low energy. etc.

[Edited: Removed quote and repose to deleted post]

daveduke76
03-06-2014, 02:40 PM
Hopefully, its nothing serious and K is able to return Saturday.

The interesting thing is K was admittedly not himself after the loss of his brother for the Notre Dame and Clemson games. So without a 100% K this team has 3 really bad losses. To me that just screams lack of leadership from the players on the court. It has also got to be concerning for the day in 2027 when K finally calls it a career.

Posted a similar comment in the postgame thread, I agree with you! -
Coach K's Impact
I noticed during the first half of the game coach K was sitting on the bench and not up in the refs faces, the way he usually does. He seemed very passive, turns out he is sick. The other time coach K wasn't his usual self was after his brother's death. He wasn't involved in the first couple ACC games and the team looked similar to the way they looked during the last 5 minutes of last nights game. Did coach K have his dizzy spell and go down to one knee during the timeout at the infamous 5 minute mark? I wonder if that is why the team seemed to loose focus. They seem to really respond to coach K and when he is not feeling well, I wonder if they start thinking about their coach and not the game.

fuse
03-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Jeff Gravely reported on twitter that WRAL has footage showing Coach K getting hit in the head with a ball in the second half of the Wake game. Footage expected on 6pm news.

cato
03-06-2014, 04:56 PM
I felt a bit of nausea while watching the game, could it be related?

I felt noxious after the game, but I know that was related to my mood. I treated the symptoms by isolating myself from others.

In all seriousness, best wishes to Coach K. My father (a few years older than K) has struggled with dizziness at times. Even if it is not a sign of a more serious problem, it is no fun.

sagegrouse
03-06-2014, 05:00 PM
I felt noxious after the game, but I know that was related to my mood. I treated the symptoms by isolating myself from others.

In all seriousness, best wishes to Coach K. My father (a few years older than K) has struggled with dizziness at times. Even if it is not a sign of a more serious problem, it is no fun.

I was unable to launch a civil conversation after the game had ended, although some of you may ask, "What's new?"

Atlanta Duke
03-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Jeff Gravely reported on twitter that WRAL has footage showing Coach K getting hit in the head with a ball in the second half of the Wake game. Footage expected on 6pm news.

Link to Ken Medlin's tweet with photo of Coach K appearing to take a basketball in the forehead - ouch!

https://twitter.com/kenmedlin/status/441677885166731264/photo/1

Coach Mike Krzyzewski is out of the hospital and at practice with No. 4 Duke after feeling light-headed during a loss at Wake Forest.

Team spokesman Matt Plizga says Krzyzewski led practice on Thursday.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10563779/mike-krzyzewski-duke-blue-devils-back-practice-dizzy-spell

OldPhiKap
03-06-2014, 05:13 PM
I was unable to launch a civil conversation after the game had ended, although some of you may ask, "What's new?"

My night went so poorly, my dog kicked me.

jv001
03-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Link to Ken Medlin's tweet with photo of Coach K appearing to take a basketball in the forehead - ouch!

Coach Mike Krzyzewski is out of the hospital and at practice with No. 4 Duke after feeling light-headed during a loss at Wake Forest.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10563779/mike-krzyzewski-duke-blue-devils-back-practice-dizzy-spell

This is great news. Beat UNC and Go-Coach K and GoDuke!

J_C_Steel
03-06-2014, 06:54 PM
I know that watching this Duke team, with all of its talent, fall apart at the end of games not at Cameron Indoor has certainly made me a bit dizzy... and nauseated.

Here's hoping Coach K is A-OK and ready to rain fire upon those pansy blue denizens of Chapel Hill...

throatybeard
03-06-2014, 10:20 PM

I feel like if the the ball-to-the-head story were true, fifteen people who were there would have told us about it already.

bbq-devil
03-06-2014, 11:00 PM
I feel like if the the ball-to-the-head story were true, fifteen people who were there would have told us about it already.

I was there about 23 rows (v) behind the Duke bench. K was sitting on the bench and it did appear that a loose ball hit him in the head early in the second half. A WF player was scrambling after the loose ball as it went out of bounds (can't remember who). K did place a hand to his head after the play and look down at the floor for a few seconds after the incident but seemed OK as at the next dead ball as he was up moving around. The ball was not going that fast though so I doubt the contact was the reason for the problems. It may have just aggravated his condition if he was already feeling bad.

Atlanta Duke
03-06-2014, 11:20 PM

Agreed - the photo appears to have been taken during one of Duke's second half adventures when a player was trapped in the corner and turned the ball over. My understanding is that Coach K was having difficulty starting in the first half - but if you are having problems, getting hit in the forehead probably does not help