PDA

View Full Version : ACC Tournament Seedings

Olympic Fan
03-05-2014, 01:40 AM
After Miami's loss Tuesday night, the ACC is at an interesting point -- we don't know any specific ACC Tournament matchups, but we do know exactly which teams get the double bye ... which get the single bye ... and which six teams play Wednesday.

No matter what happens in the final round of games, it's mathematically certain that Virginia, Duke, UNC and Syracuse will have the double bye and will start play next Friday. And now we also know that Miami, Notre Dame, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Boston College and Virginia Tech will play next Wednesday in the first round. That also means that Pitt, Clemson, FSU, NC State and Maryland all get a first-round bye and will play Thursday.

But within those three groups, there remain a myriad of possibilities. In fact, the only seeds we know at the moment are Virginia (the No. 1 seed) and Virginia Tech (the No. 15 seed).

Duke will be the No. 2 seed, if the Devils beat Wake and UNC. But Duke could also be the No. 3 seed or the No. 4 seed, depending on this weekend's games. Note that if Duke beats UNC, Duke would win any individual tiebreaker with UNC or Syracuse -- but in case of a three way tie between Syracuse-Duke-UNC (which could happen if Duke loses to Wake and beats UNC, and FSU beats Syracuse), then Syracuse wins the three-way tiebreaker for the second seed and Duke gets the third seed.

The winner of the Pitt-Clemson game gets the No. 5 seed. If Florida State beats Syracuse, they would tie the Pitt-Clemson loser for 6th seed. FSU wins the tiebreaker with Pitt outright ... since they split with Clemson, if it's an FSU-Clemson tie, it comes down to how Duke and Syracuse end up -- Clemson wins the tiebreaker if Duke finishes ahead of Syracuse ... FSU wins if Syracuse finishes ahead of Duke.

Of course, if FSU loses to Syracuse, then it doesn't matter -- the Pitt-Clemson loser gets 6th place outright.

Somebody with more energy than me can finish out the possibilities (and double-check my work).

Tonight's Duke-Wake game will simplify things a bit, but will take Saturday's games to start straightening the seeds out ... and even then, the final bracket is not likely to be settled until after the finale Sunday at 6 p.m. when NC State hosts Boston College.

royalblue
03-05-2014, 02:36 AM
As much as I love all the details of both tourneys this time of year headaches may arise due to sorting the specific seeding scenarios.

DukeAlumBS
03-05-2014, 03:09 AM
Last night to GT!
Make your free throws.
Curious how it ends up. We win out season we will be fine.
Nice day
Jimmy

kAzE
03-05-2014, 03:32 AM
I'm hoping we get the 2 seed and Syracuse gets the 3. I'd rather not have to face UNC or UVA until the championship game, we don't match up as well with those guys.

jmck214
03-05-2014, 07:22 AM
Just realized that Duke is not going to leave the state for over a month. Last out of state game was Feb 18 @ GT and their next one will presumably be the sweet 16 game on March 27 or 28. I can't ever remember them staying close to home that long. It does remind me of Syracuse in 03 when they went from MSG in the Big East Tourney to Albany and then Buffalo before reaching the final four

CLW
03-05-2014, 07:30 AM
After Miami's loss Tuesday night, the ACC is at an interesting point -- we don't know any specific ACC Tournament matchups, but we do know exactly which teams get the double bye ... which get the single bye ... and which six teams play Wednesday.

No matter what happens in the final round of games, it's mathematically certain that Virginia, Duke, UNC and Syracuse will have the double bye and will start play next Friday. And now we also know that Miami, Notre Dame, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Boston College and Virginia Tech will play next Wednesday in the first round. That also means that Pitt, Clemson, FSU, NC State and Maryland all get a first-round bye and will play Thursday.

But within those three groups, there remain a myriad of possibilities. In fact, the only seeds we know at the moment are Virginia (the No. 1 seed) and Virginia Tech (the No. 15 seed).

Duke will be the No. 2 seed, if the Devils beat Wake and UNC. But Duke could also be the No. 3 seed or the No. 4 seed, depending on this weekend's games. Note that if Duke beats UNC, Duke would win any individual tiebreaker with UNC or Syracuse -- but in case of a three way tie between Syracuse-Duke-UNC (which could happen if Duke loses to Wake and beats UNC, and FSU beats Syracuse), then Syracuse wins the three-way tiebreaker for the second seed and Duke gets the third seed.

The winner of the Pitt-Clemson game gets the No. 5 seed. If Florida State beats Syracuse, they would tie the Pitt-Clemson loser for 6th seed. FSU wins the tiebreaker with Pitt outright ... since they split with Clemson, if it's an FSU-Clemson tie, it comes down to how Duke and Syracuse end up -- Clemson wins the tiebreaker if Duke finishes ahead of Syracuse ... FSU wins if Syracuse finishes ahead of Duke.

Of course, if FSU loses to Syracuse, then it doesn't matter -- the Pitt-Clemson loser gets 6th place outright.

Somebody with more energy than me can finish out the possibilities (and double-check my work).

Tonight's Duke-Wake game will simplify things a bit, but will take Saturday's games to start straightening the seeds out ... and even then, the final bracket is not likely to be settled until after the finale Sunday at 6 p.m. when NC State hosts Boston College.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFOvldn_IRw

hurleyfor3
03-05-2014, 09:38 PM
If we beat unc, we're the 3 seed due to record against Virginia. If we lose, we're the 4 seed.

pfrduke
03-05-2014, 09:46 PM
If we beat unc, we're the 3 seed due to record against Virginia. If we lose, we're the 4 seed.

Yep. The lost tonight eliminated our shot at the 2 seed (Syracuse wins a tiebreaker in a 3-way tie at 13-5).

Syracuse is the 2 seed with a win or a UNC loss; it can only fall to 3 with a loss and a UNC win.
UNC can be 2 with a win and a Syracuse loss, 3 with a win and a Syracuse win, or 4 with a loss.

weezie
03-05-2014, 09:57 PM
I now have a splitting headache.

pfrduke
03-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Ok, let's walk through this (I think this is right, but someone should certainly correct me if I'm off):

1: Virginia
2: Syracuse with a win or UNC loss; UNC with a win and Syracuse loss
3: Duke with a win; UNC with a win and a Syracuse win; Syracuse with a loss and a UNC win
4: Loser of Duke-UNC
5: Winner of Pitt-Clemson
6: FSU with a win (they have the tiebreaker over both Pitt and Clemson since Syracuse is guaranteed to finish ahead of Duke); loser of Pitt-Clemson with an FSU loss
7: If FSU wins, loser of Pitt-Clemson; if FSU loses - FSU if NCSU and Maryland lose; NCSU with a win; Maryland with a win and an NCSU loss.
8: NCSU with a win and an FSU win or a loss and a Maryland loss; Maryland with a win, an FSU win, and an NCSU loss; FSU with a loss, and only one of NCSU or Maryland winning
9: FSU with a loss and a Maryland and NCSU win; NCSU with a loss and a Maryland win; Maryland with a loss
10: Winner of Wake-Miami
11: Miami with a loss; Wake with a loss and a Georgia Tech loss; Georgia Tech with a win and a Miami win
12: If Georgia Tech loses - Notre Dame (loses tiebreakers with both Wake and Miami); if Georgia Tech wins - Wake with a Miami win; Georgia Tech with a Wake win
13: Georgia Tech with a loss. Notre Dame with a Tech win (the Irish are third in both the GT-ND-Wake and GT-ND-Miami tiebreakers)
14: Boston College
15: Virginia Tech

CDu
03-05-2014, 11:15 PM
Ok, let's walk through this (I think this is right, but someone should certainly correct me if I'm off):

3: Duke with a win; UNC with a win and a Syracuse win; Syracuse with a loss and a UNC win
6: FSU with a win (they have the tiebreaker over both Pitt and Clemson since Syracuse is guaranteed to finish ahead of Duke); loser of Pitt-Clemson with an FSU loss
7: If FSU wins, loser of Pitt-Clemson; if FSU loses - FSU if NCSU and Maryland lose; NCSU with a win; Maryland with a win and an NCSU loss.
8: NCSU with a win and an FSU win or a loss and a Maryland loss; Maryland with a win, an FSU win, and an NCSU loss; FSU with a loss, and only one of NCSU or Maryland winning
9: FSU with a loss and a Maryland and NCSU win; NCSU with a loss and a Maryland win; Maryland with a loss
11: Miami with a loss; Wake with a loss and a Georgia Tech loss; Georgia Tech with a win and a Miami win
12: If Georgia Tech loses - Notre Dame (loses tiebreakers with both Wake and Miami); if Georgia Tech wins - Wake with a Miami win; Georgia Tech with a Wake win
13: Georgia Tech with a loss. Notre Dame with a Tech win (the Irish are third in both the GT-ND-Wake and GT-ND-Miami tiebreakers)

Looks right.

I will say this: if you're looking for a bottom-feeder to make noise, GT is that team. They have a TERRIFIC post presence in Miller. They complement him with a beast of a scorer in Carter (who is just getting healthy sgain ). They have a dynamite wing scorer in Georges-Hunt, and a very confident PG in Golden. The concern is depth. The dropoff from their starters to their backup guards is drastic, and they really have just one backup big. But if they can control tempo and stay out of foul trouble, they are dangerous.

I guess Wake also qualifies. They are very balanced, very athletic, and have a few guys capable of taking over a game. I have little fear of BC and VT. But Wake and GT can be sneaky in a one -and- out situation.

pfrduke
03-06-2014, 08:34 AM
I have an ACC tiebreaker question (it's somewhat of a rhetorical question, I suppose, but anyway):

Why do the 3 (or more)-team tiebreaker rules work the way that they do? If Duke wins on Saturday, Duke would hold a head-to-head tiebreaker over either Carolina or Syracuse, but not both together. In the NFL, any tie between more than 2 teams is broken by eliminating teams one by one. So if we adopted that model, a three-team tiebreaker would first establish which is the lowest seeded of the three (in this case, it would be UNC), and then we would apply the tiebreaker rules all over again between the remaining teams to break the remaining tie. This seems more logical and more designed to approximate the teams' actual results - UNC would lose a tiebreaker to either Duke or Syracuse, so should finish 4th, Syracuse would win a tiebreaker with UNC but lose one with Duke, so should finish 3rd, and Duke would win a tiebreaker with either, and so should finish 2nd. Particularly with the unbalanced schedule, using a 3-way head-to-head tiebreaker leads to some odd results.

SirBlueDevil
03-06-2014, 08:40 AM
Veering off the subject for a minute, can i get a few guesses as to what our Acc tournament seeding may be with this wake loss and to go one step further can any of you factor in the seeding whether with a tar heel win or loss this saturday?

Secondly, from what the basketball pundits have now been saying. Our chance of obtaining a #1 Big Dance seed has now been lost after last night and right now we're holding on as a #2 seed but depending on saturday night and next weeks tournament we could drop to a possible 3 or worse 4 seed!

Go Duke Blue

pfrduke
03-06-2014, 08:48 AM
Veering off the subject for a minute, can i get a few guesses as to what our Acc tournament seeding may be with this wake loss and to go one step further can any of you factor in the seeding whether with a tar heel win or loss this saturday?

Secondly, from what the basketball pundits have now been saying. Our chance of obtaining a #1 Big Dance seed has now been lost after last night and right now we're holding on as a #2 seed but depending on saturday night and next weeks tournament we could drop to a possible 3 or worse 4 seed!

Go Duke Blue

First, all the ACC seeding scenarios are above. Duke's either 3 or 4.

Second, there's an entire thread devoted to our NCAA seeding. It's like 200 posts long. Here it is (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?33006-Duke-MBB-s-2014-NCAAT-seed).

CDu
03-06-2014, 09:01 AM
I have an ACC tiebreaker question (it's somewhat of a rhetorical question, I suppose, but anyway):

Why do the 3 (or more)-team tiebreaker rules work the way that they do? If Duke wins on Saturday, Duke would hold a head-to-head tiebreaker over either Carolina or Syracuse, but not both together. In the NFL, any tie between more than 2 teams is broken by eliminating teams one by one. So if we adopted that model, a three-team tiebreaker would first establish which is the lowest seeded of the three (in this case, it would be UNC), and then we would apply the tiebreaker rules all over again between the remaining teams to break the remaining tie. This seems more logical and more designed to approximate the teams' actual results - UNC would lose a tiebreaker to either Duke or Syracuse, so should finish 4th, Syracuse would win a tiebreaker with UNC but lose one with Duke, so should finish 3rd, and Duke would win a tiebreaker with either, and so should finish 2nd. Particularly with the unbalanced schedule, using a 3-way head-to-head tiebreaker leads to some odd results.

Just the way it is, I guess. Instead of determining the lowest seed first, the ACC determines the highest seed first. And in combined games, Syracuse has that edge.

I don't have a problem with it the way it is. Both systems use the same methods (head-to-head among all teams) to determine things. The NFL just solves lowest first rather than highest. I don't think either approach is more flawed than the other.

Remember: Duke only has the tiebreaker over Syracuse by virtue of a second game, which arbitrarily is set to "record against top seed", where we got the advantage of playing UVa at home while Syracuse went to Charlottesville. So there is an arbitrariness to any tiebreaker system.

sagegrouse
03-06-2014, 09:15 AM

The two most important thing about tie breakers are that:

1. They have some degree of logic, and

2. They produce definitive results

Once you get past the head-to-head matchups, I tend to view them with amusement and mild curiosity, just to see what people come up with. The ACC seems to value the record against the best teams in the league; why not just eliminate the teams that lost to the worst teams? The NFL has an operation that pools the head-to-head results.

Why doesn't the ACC just do random draws once head-to-head matchups are considered. I mean, who are we kidding that any of these things are truly meaningful in ranking three teams that are 13-5?

UrinalCake
03-06-2014, 02:48 PM
So now the question is, who do you WANT to play among the top three? Syracuse is in a free fall, but would still play us tough. Plus it's a big adjustment to make playing against that zone on a short turnaround. UNC we will have just played a week prior. Depending on this weeknd's outcome, that might be a positive or a negative. UVA we seem to match up with pretty well, but they're also the best team right now.

As for the opening game, I really want to avoid State. They've had a lot of narrow losses and would be out for revenge after we embarrassed them in Cameron.

jv001
03-06-2014, 02:53 PM
So now the question is, who do you WANT to play among the top three? Syracuse is in a free fall, but would still play us tough. Plus it's a big adjustment to make playing against that zone on a short turnaround. UNC we will have just played a week prior. Depending on this weeknd's outcome, that might be a positive or a negative. UVA we seem to match up with pretty well, but they're also the best team right now.

As for the opening game, I really want to avoid State. They've had a lot of narrow losses and would be out for revenge after we embarrassed them in Cameron.

Thanks UC, you about cheered me up from last nights game. I was even cheered up to see Jumbo post again. But this loss is still lingering and it's the only one I haven't been able to shake out of the 7 losses we have. I'm afraid of any team not named Hokies right now. Maybe after we put a butt whupping on the Tarheels Saturday, I'll feel better. Beat UNC and GoDuke!

pfrduke
03-06-2014, 02:58 PM

There's no scenario in which we play UNC before the finals, as the winner of Saturday's game will be in the 2/3 side of the bracket and the loser in the 1/4 side of the bracket.

I'd rather be the 3 seed (and not just because that means we will have beaten UNC). I think UVA is better than Syracuse.
I'd rather play FSU as the 6 than Pitt or Clemson, so I'm rooting for the Noles this weekend.
And, in the event of an upset in the 6/11 game, I'd rather Miami than either Wake or Georgia Tech (although at least you could be sure we wouldn't take Wake lightly)

pfrduke
03-06-2014, 03:01 PM

Also, there's no way we can see State before the semis - they're locked into the 7/8/9 range, which means they'll play either the 1 or the 2 in the quarters. Our options (either at 3 or at 4) are Pitt, Clemson, FSU (barring a potential upset of those teams on Thursday)

Olympic Fan
03-07-2014, 04:53 PM
I was just trying to make an educated guess as to Duke's path to the ACC title.

Obviously, Duke's seeding it easy to figure -- beat UNC Saturday and we're the No. 3 seed; lose to the Heels and we're the No. 4 seed.

If Duke is the three seed, the Friday matchup will be likely be either the loser of the Pitt at Clemson game Saturday or FSU. If Clemson loses to Pitt, they are definitely in the No. 6 slot. If Pitt loses, it depends on FSU -- FSU gets the No. 6 seed if they beat Syracuse at home Sunday ... if they lose, then Pitt gets the No. 6 seed.

If Duke reaches Saturday, we'll probably face Syracuse (which gets the No,. 2 seed if Duke wins, no matter what they do against FSU). That would leave No. 1 Virginia or No. 4 UNC as the opponent in Saturday's title game.

Obviously, all of this presupposes that none of lower seeded teams pull major upsets Thursday (or against the top four on Friday).

If Duke loses to UNC and gets the 4th seed, the path is easier to figure -- probably the Pitt at Clemson winner on Friday (the winner of that game locks into the No. 5 seed -- it's only a question of whether Wednesday's 12/13 winner can upset the Pitt/Clemson winner on Thursday). Saturday's semifinal would almost certainly be Virginia and the title game almost certainly against UNC or Syracuse.

Tough path either way.

pfrduke
03-07-2014, 05:08 PM
I was just trying to make an educated guess as to Duke's path to the ACC title.

Obviously, Duke's seeding it easy to figure -- beat UNC Saturday and we're the No. 3 seed; lose to the Heels and we're the No. 4 seed.

If Duke is the three seed, the Friday matchup will be likely be either the loser of the Pitt at Clemson game Saturday or FSU. If Clemson loses to Pitt, they are definitely in the No. 6 slot. If Pitt loses, it depends on FSU -- FSU gets the No. 6 seed if they beat Syracuse at home Sunday ... if they lose, then Pitt gets the No. 6 seed.

If Duke reaches Saturday, we'll probably face Syracuse (which gets the No,. 2 seed if Duke wins, no matter what they do against FSU). That would leave No. 1 Virginia or No. 4 UNC as the opponent in Saturday's title game.

Obviously, all of this presupposes that none of lower seeded teams pull major upsets Thursday (or against the top four on Friday).

If Duke loses to UNC and gets the 4th seed, the path is easier to figure -- probably the Pitt at Clemson winner on Friday (the winner of that game locks into the No. 5 seed -- it's only a question of whether Wednesday's 12/13 winner can upset the Pitt/Clemson winner on Thursday). Saturday's semifinal would almost certainly be Virginia and the title game almost certainly against UNC or Syracuse.

Tough path either way.

I don't think the bolded part is right. If Clemson loses to Pitt and FSU beats Syracuse, both teams are 10-8. They split head-to-head (the road team won both, oddly enough), so then you start going down the standings, and FSU would have the better win (over Syracuse vs. over Duke). FSU is automatically the 6 seed if it wins because it holds the tiebreaker over either Clemson or Pittsburgh.

It's among the reasons I'm rooting for FSU on Saturday - I'd rather play them than Clemson or Pitt. I'd also rather (if we beat UNC, knock on wood) finish tied for 2nd in the conference than tied for 3rd, and the only way to get there is a Syracuse loss.

Newton_14
03-07-2014, 09:03 PM

Another way to view it
1. UVA
2. Syracuse or UNC
3. Duke, Syracuse, or UNC
4. UNC or Duke
5. Pitt or Clemson
6. FSU, Pitt, or Clemson
7. FSU, Pitt, Clemson, NC State, or Maryland
8. FSU, NC State, or Maryland
9. FSU, NC State, or Maryland
10. Wake or Miami
11. Wake, Miami, or GaTech
12. Wake, GaTech, or ND
13. GaTech or ND
14. Boston College
15. VaTech

or

UVA- 1
Syracuse- 2 or 3
UNC- 2 or 4
Duke- 3 or 4
Pitt- 5, 6, or 7
Clemson- 5, 6, or 7
FSU- 6, 7, 8, or 9
NC State- 7, 8, or 9
Maryland- 7, 8, or 9
Miami- 10 or 11
Wake- 10, 11, or 12
GaTech- 11, 12, or 13
ND- 12 or 13
BC- 14
VaTech- 15

pfrduke
03-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Updated based on results to date:

10: Miami
11: Georgia Tech
12: Wake Forest
13: Notre Dame

Wednesday's lineup is set as Miami-Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech-Boston College, and Wake Forest-Notre Dame

pfrduke
03-08-2014, 06:37 PM
Updated based on results to date:

5: Pittsburgh
6: FSU with a win; Clemson with an FSU loss
7: If FSU wins, Clemson; if FSU loses - FSU if NCSU and Maryland lose; NCSU with a win; Maryland with a win and an NCSU loss.

Wednesday's lineup is set as Miami-Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech-Boston College, and Wake Forest-Notre Dame

Pitt locks up the 5 seed with a ridiculous comeback against Clemson. Edited in the quote box.

pfrduke
03-08-2014, 11:36 PM
Updated based on Saturday's games:

2: Syracuse
3: Duke
4: UNC
7: If FSU wins, Clemson; if FSU loses - FSU if NCSU and Maryland lose; NCSU with a win; Maryland with a win and an NCSU loss.

hurleyfor3
03-08-2014, 11:49 PM
So we have the late game on Friday, and get the winner of (either fsu or clempsun) vs. (winner of GT/BC).

CDu
03-09-2014, 10:28 AM
So we have the late game on Friday, and get the winner of (either fsu or clempsun) vs. (winner of GT/BC).

I think there is a very real chance we play GT on Friday. With Carter Jr now healthy and getting back in form and with Trae Golden also getting healthy, they aren't a terrible team anymore.

I actually think I might rather face FSU than GT.

Tucknut
03-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Anyone know if there will be any open practice sessions at the coliseum (like they've done in the past)?

pfrduke
03-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Updated based on the Sunday early game:

7: If FSU wins, Clemson; if FSU loses - NCSU with a win; Maryland with an NCSU loss.
8: NCSU with a win and an FSU win; Maryland with an FSU win and an NCSU loss; FSU with a loss, and an NCSU loss
9: FSU with a loss and an NCSU win; NCSU with a loss; Maryland with an NCSU win and an FSU win

DU82
03-09-2014, 03:26 PM
Anyone know if there will be any open practice sessions at the coliseum (like they've done in the past)?

Unlikely. The open practice would have to be on Tuesday. Duke doesn't play until Friday, and I doubt we'll be in Greensboro before Thursday, if not Friday morning.

IIRC, the open practices you are remembering are for NCAA tournaments, not the ACC tournament.

pfrduke
03-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Updated through Syracuse's walloping of Florida State (side note - Jerami Grant is very important to the Orange):

6: Clemson
7: NCSU with a win; Maryland with an NCSU loss.
8: Maryland with an NCSU win; FSU with an NCSU loss
9: FSU with an NCSU win; NCSU with a loss

Duke's road to the semis is clear - they get the winner of Clemson and the Georgia Tech-Boston College winner.

OldPhiKap
03-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Updated through Syracuse's walloping of Florida State (side note - Jerami Grant is very important to the Orange):

6: Clemson
7: NCSU with a win; Maryland with an NCSU loss.
8: Maryland with an NCSU win; FSU with an NCSU loss
9: FSU with an NCSU win; NCSU with a loss

Duke's road to the semis is clear - they get the winner of Clemson and the Georgia Tech-Boston College winner.

Thanks for the breakdown.

UNC-Pitt could be interesting if Pitt advances.

hurleyfor3
03-09-2014, 04:26 PM
For those in the ticket market on Friday, root for ncsu to lose today. This would put the rest of the Big Four in the other session from Duke, assuming ncsu and wake get to Friday.

No more than three of the Big Four can play on Saturday.

Olympic Fan
03-09-2014, 04:58 PM
With one game left (BC at NC State at 6 p.m.), we pretty much know what's facing Duke in tourney:

Watch the Georgia Tech-Boston College game at 7 p.m. Wednesday. Tech should win, but the same two teams met in last year's opening round and Olivier Hanlan scored 41 to lead BC past the Jackets. Georgia Tech has beaten BC twice this year, but both were fairly close -- 68-60 in Boston and 74-71 in Atlanta.

The winner -- probably Georgia Tech -- gets Clemson Thursday at 9:30 p.m.

Clemson beat Georgia Tech twice -- by 45-41 in Littlejohn and 63-55 late in Atlanta. Clemson won its only game with BC 62-60 in Boston.

Duke will get the winner of that game Friday at 9:30 p.m. We all know that Duke was 2-0 vs. Georgia Tech, winning both games handily, and 1-0 vs. BC, winning by 21 in Boston.

Of course, Clemson nailed us in Littlejohn in our only meeting with them. I'd love to get some payback -- but I said that last year before out rematch with Maryland.

Still, I don't think the brackets could work out better for us. I'm not worried about how State-FSU-Maryland line up in the 7-9 slots -- if any of them can beat Syracuse on Friday, I'd rather play them Saturday than the 'Cuse in the semifinals.

Tucknut
03-09-2014, 08:38 PM
Unlikely. The open practice would have to be on Tuesday. Duke doesn't play until Friday, and I doubt we'll be in Greensboro before Thursday, if not Friday morning.

IIRC, the open practices you are remembering are for NCAA tournaments, not the ACC tournament.

Site shows practice day Tuesday but no list of teams or times

http://www.greensborocoliseum.com/event/2014/mar/2014-acc-mens-basketball-tournament-practice-day