PDA

View Full Version : Hood, Jefferson, Parker Named to All-ACC Academic Team

Troublemaker
03-04-2014, 08:21 PM
From GoDuke: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209426536&DB_OEM_ID=4200

For the seventh consecutive season, Duke placed two or more members on the All-ACC Academic Men’s Basketball Team as announced by ACC commissioner John Swofford Tuesday. Sophomore Amile Jefferson earned academic honors for the second time, while Rodney Hood and Jabari Parker were first time honorees for the Blue Devils.

-----------------

Congrats to our trio!

FerryFor50
03-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Awesome that guys like Parker and Hood, who are near locks for the NBA, still put in the effort in the classroom.

hudlow
03-04-2014, 08:24 PM
The Duke Way.

FerryFor50
03-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Btw, where are all the UNC guys? : p

weezie
03-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Well done, men!

You make this old weezie proud.

brevity
03-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Btw, where are all the UNC guys? : p

This is why I clicked the link. Marcus Paige also made the list, and is in fact a two-time honoree as a sophomore, like Amile Jefferson. I'm not sure why, but it would have bothered me if a second team Academic All-American (http://www.news-record.com/sports/article_ae9fafec-9af9-11e3-a58d-0017a43b2370.html) failed to make the All-ACC Academic Team. You would think the same criteria would apply.

hudlow
03-04-2014, 10:56 PM
The Duke Way.

Amended...I congratulate ALL the student athletes in all the ACC schools who have made this list.

It's a great achievement.

DukieInKansas
03-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Congratulations to all that made the team. A huge thank you to Amile Jefferson, Jabari Parker, and Rodney Hood for representing the university so well.

UrinalCake
03-05-2014, 09:10 AM
This is why I clicked the link. Marcus Paige also made the list, and is in fact a two-time honoree as a sophomore, like Amile Jefferson.

I guess Paige should be commended for excelling in his fake classes.

flyingdutchdevil
03-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Congrats to our stellar academic boys. To me, this is just as important as winning games. They really help to put the "student" in student-athlete.

Sidenote: Very surprised Sulaimon isn't on that list. It is well known that he was an academic in high school (NHS, Duke TIPS program). I'm sure he's fine though. I didn't have a great GPA, either!

Bluedog
03-05-2014, 09:28 AM
Congrats to our stellar academic boys. To me, this is just as important as winning games. They really help to put the "student" in student-athlete.

Sidenote: Very surprised Sulaimon isn't on that list. It is well known that he was an academic in high school (NHS, Duke TIPS program). I'm sure he's fine though. I didn't have a great GPA, either!

Sulaimon was named to the All-ACC Academic Team last year. It can get tougher after intro courses depending on his major, on top of balancing the demands of being a varsity Duke athlete...not easy. But, yes, he was a very good student in high school, but Duke is another beast, particularly if he's pushing himself by selecting challenging courses. I'm always impressed with these guys that manage to excel so much in both avenues. Congrats guys!

Troublemaker
03-05-2014, 10:03 AM

Yeah, the 3.0 GPA mentioned in the article is just the bare minimum required to be considered for this honor of Academic All-ACC. That means the 16 players honored are the cream of the crop and probably have much better than 3.0 GPAs.

Put another way. I'm sure Duke has more than just three players with 3.0 GPAs, and Sheed likely is one of them. And I'm sure the ACC has more than just 16 players with 3.0 GPAs.

(Otherwise, that distribution curve for ACC GPAs would have a really tall hump between 2.0 and 3.0).

UrinalCake
03-05-2014, 11:14 AM
Yeah, the 3.0 GPA mentioned in the article is just the bare minimum required to be considered for this honor of Academic All-ACC. That means the 16 players honored are the cream of the crop and probably have much better than 3.0 GPAs.

Except for Paige. He averaged somewhere between a "check plus" and a "smiley face," with a gold star given for clapping out the erasers after class.

MCFinARL
03-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Except for Paige. He averaged somewhere between a "check plus" and a "smiley face," with a gold star given for clapping out the erasers after class.

Amusing as this is, it really isn't fair to Marcus Paige, or to the current state of academics for UNC basketball. The evidence indicates that the basketball team distanced itself from the dubious classes a few years ago, well before the football team. And Paige graduated from his Iowa high school with a better than 4.0 average (i.e., taking at least some honors/AP type classes) all four years, according to his bio. So we should probably give him the benefit of the doubt here.

UrinalCake
03-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Amusing as this is, it really isn't fair to Marcus Paige, or to the current state of academics for UNC basketball.

I understand everything you say to be true. It's not going to stop me from making fun of them :D

duke4ever19
03-05-2014, 11:31 AM

Not to mention he also kept the cleanest desk and cubbie space and was quietest during nap time.

moonpie23
03-05-2014, 12:07 PM
glad to see this....proud of our guys...

Bluedog
03-05-2014, 02:52 PM

Put another way. I'm sure Duke has more than just three players with 3.0 GPAs, and Sheed likely is one of them. And I'm sure the ACC has more than just 16 players with 3.0 GPAs.

(Otherwise, that distribution curve for ACC GPAs would have a really tall hump between 2.0 and 3.0).

Looks like there were ~40 male basketball players with a 3.0 GPA last year (including non-scholarship players). Surprisingly, Rasheed is not on the list: http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/other/2012-13_acc_honor_roll.pdf

http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/ACC-Announces-2012-13-Academic-Honor-Roll_08-06-13_17rfs1
"The Honor Roll is comprised of student-athletes who participated in a varsity-level sport and registered a grade point average of 3.00 or better for the full academic year;" Quinn, Amile, Ryan, and Todd made it last year. Academic All-American Mason Plumlee didn't make the ACC honor roll either last year...It's probably not really fair that we can assess their academics records in a way - non-athletes don't have the same public "Honor Roll."

MCFinARL
03-05-2014, 04:37 PM
I understand everything you say to be true. It's not going to stop me from making fun of them :D

Fair enough.