PDA

View Full Version : Is this why many think Jabari is out of shape?

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Jabari has been called slightly out of shape. Some have called him gassed at the end of games. Some have even called Jabari *gasp* chubby. Me? Jabari is in good shape. Sure, he could be more lean, but it's not really an issue right now. He sure doesn't have Andrew Wiggins's body, but few players do.

Anywho, if you think Jabari is slightly out of shape, you may recommend that he stop making these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18guoG8OAck

WARNING: You will get hungry.

luburch
03-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Are we going to start measuring player's weights in Jabari Bars now?

Cell-R
03-03-2014, 01:38 PM
The Jabari Bar is one of the better desserts I've had in a while. I was fortunate to have a tent shift at that time. Jabari exudes class and, by all accounts, seems to be one of the most genuine people at this school.

Troublemaker
03-03-2014, 01:49 PM
What a great kid.

Jabari said he's been making the Jabari Bars since 7th grade.

In case anyone hasn't seen what Jabari looked like in 7th grade (his game and his physique), here's an adorable clip of a middle-school Jabari: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lIBTew48G8

1999ballboy
03-03-2014, 02:22 PM
So, RE: the Jabari bars... awesome! What a cool thing to do for the fans.

The out-of-shape comments are funny because people say the same about Carmelo Anthony, who is often considered the aptest comparison for Jabari. It's just their body type. You can even see in that 7th grade video that Jabari's actually slimmed down since then.

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2014, 03:08 PM
So, RE: the Jabari bars... awesome! What a cool thing to do for the fans.

The out-of-shape comments are funny because people say the same about Carmelo Anthony, who is often considered the aptest comparison for Jabari. It's just their body type. You can even see in that 7th grade video that Jabari's actually slimmed down since then.

This. Even in the NBA, Melo never had the greatest body. But it definitely got better.

I'm convinced that, over time with additional conditioning and maturity, Jabari's body will fine tune itself.

moonpie23
03-03-2014, 03:10 PM
he lost me when the coconut went on...... :( but what a great guy....so glad he came to duke....

JNort
03-03-2014, 03:16 PM
I think the "outta shape" comments come from 2 things. 1st is his senior year if high school when he gained a bunch of weight due to injury and I'm not sure if he trimmed it all back off. I don't remember what he weighed before an after. 2nd is his body type, some people just naturally look ughh softer?

jv001
03-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Glad to see Jabari is a White Sox fan and not a Cub fan :cool: Duke and the St. Louis Cardinals. GoRedbirds and GoDuke!

TruBlu
03-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Great!

Now he says that if his candy bars get famous, he'll maybe leave college early. Previously, we only had to worry about his mission or going to the NBA early.:eek:

UrinalCake
03-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Why hasn't he officially named this the "J-Bar"? Seems like a natural fit to me.

nocilla
03-03-2014, 05:00 PM
Great!

Now he says that if his candy bars get famous, he'll maybe leave college early. Previously, we only had to worry about his mission or going to the NBA early.:eek:

He also said maybe he can do it again next time. For this to happen he would have to still be on campus next tenting season. So there it is. He is staying! :D

Son of Jarhead
03-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Very cool... seems like a genuinely nice guy. And did I hear a little Bill Cosby impersonation in there?:cool:

roywhite
03-03-2014, 09:23 PM
What a great kid. He seems like someone who would be a good fit at Duke even if he didn't play basketball.

Did you use enough butter there, Jabari? :)

gep
03-03-2014, 11:24 PM
he lost me when the coconut went on...... :( but what a great guy....so glad he came to duke....

For me... that was the best part :cool:

hustleplays
03-03-2014, 11:59 PM
The Jabari Bar is one of the better desserts I've had in a while. I was fortunate to have a tent shift at that time. Jabari exudes class and, by all accounts, seems to be one of the most genuine people at this school.

This is such an endearing, uplifting glimpse into the heart of one of our very special students. Easy to forget how young he is, and all of the pressures on him, as he calmly, confidently, happily and humorously goes about his business of making his beloved Jabari Bars for his fellow students. What a treasure.

On a lesser note, yes, did you notice that Jabari has clearly signaled that he is staying another year?! You heard it here first! Surely, a man of his character and compassion would not toy with our emotions by saying that he can do this another year. [Jabari, you are reading this, right?] And by joking about having to leave college early to begin his baking career. [Jabari, we can work with you to enable your baking career while maintaining your amateur status. Glad to set your mind at ease about this.]

Also, ethically speaking, could you possibly justify taking Jabari Bars out of the mouths of Tyus, Jahlil, Grayson and Justise? Not to mention, Marshall, Rodney, Quinn, Matt, Sheed, Amile and Matt? No you can't! Remember that Marshall needs quite a few of these bars to keep him rebounding fiercely.

We know that you are not the kind of person who would tease us in any way about your staying. It's nice to finally rest easy about this. Though I do need a Jabari Bar to celebrate!

And, btw, you have the Bill Cosby look and inflection down pat. In case the basketball or baking things don't work out, you can take up where Bill left off.

Have you thought of supplying Cameron Crazies with your Jabari Bars for the UNC game? Just a thought.

Thanks, Jabari!

kAzE
03-04-2014, 02:19 AM
What a great kid.

Jabari said he's been making the Jabari Bars since 7th grade.

In case anyone hasn't seen what Jabari looked like in 7th grade (his game and his physique), here's an adorable clip of a middle-school Jabari: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lIBTew48G8

That kid is pretty chubby, but he still moved like a much smaller guy. Jabari once admitted himself that he was always extremely self conscious when he was little because other kids used to pick on him for being fat. It made him the type of humble and good-natured guy that he's become today, so in a way, being a fat kid was a good thing :)

I think if he was on a serious pro-style conditioning program, he could probably stand to lose about 10-15 pounds. It could improve his mobility and quickness on defense , which would allow him to play the SF position full time. In the unlikely event that he returns to Duke for his sophomore year, it would be a huge plus if he could play the 3, given our bolstered front court depth next year.

COYS
03-04-2014, 10:55 AM
I think if he was on a serious pro-style conditioning program, he could probably stand to lose about 10-15 pounds. It could improve his mobility and quickness on defense , which would allow him to play the SF position full time. In the unlikely event that he returns to Duke for his sophomore year, it would be a huge plus if he could play the 3, given our bolstered front court depth next year.

I agree to an extent. I think that an offseason of pro-style conditioning would see him shed a little weight, but I think ideally the program would be designed to gain most of that back in leg muscle to aid his explosiveness and quickness. That being said, Jabari is pretty dang mobile as it is. Sometimes I'm surprised how far out he takes off for some of his dunks. And he's got some quick moves off the dribble. Also, I actually think his worst problem on defense isn't a lack of lateral quickness (even if he is just average there), it's a lack of good defensive instincts. It's not that he rotates too slowly, it's that he starts his rotation too late. Same with his hedges.

Whether he goes to the NBA or shocks the world and comes back to Duke for a second year, I think the Jabari we see next year, a full two years removed from his injury, will be an improved player both in terms of skills, but also in terms of physical ability.

MCFinARL
03-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Very cool... seems like a genuinely nice guy. And did I hear a little Bill Cosby impersonation in there?:cool:

Yes--my very favorite part of this video is that Jabari cleans up after making the Jabari bars--a lot of teenagers less celebrated than Jabari would leave the mess for someone else.

The Jabari bars do look delicious--but after seeing that butter I know my cardiologist would not let me near them.... :(

OZZIE4DUKE
03-04-2014, 11:21 AM
He also said maybe he can do it again next time. For this to happen he would have to still be on campus next tenting season. So there it is. He is staying! :D

From your lips to Jabari's head! :cool:

And yeah, love the coconut too! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

weezie
03-04-2014, 11:30 AM

Haha, I heard it.

Duke oven mitts?! How did I miss those? Mom just found her Mother's Day present....

Indoor66
03-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Yes--my very favorite part of this video is that Jabari cleans up after making the Jabari bars--a lot of teenagers less celebrated than Jabari would leave the mess for someone else.

The Jabari bars do look delicious--but after seeing that butter I know my cardiologist would not let me near them.... :(

Calling devildeac for an opinion. :confused: