PDA

View Full Version : Checking up on Tommy and Harvard

JasonEvans
03-03-2014, 09:23 AM
Not sure if everyone noticed, but the Yale bubble has burst. Yale had been a serious threat to Harvard's chances to win the Ivy as of a week ago. Yale and Harvard both only had 1 conference loss and, despite Harvard's impressive non-conference slate and seemingly vast superiority to Yale, it appeared that the Ivy race and a NCAA bid would come down to a game Harvard would play at Yale this coming weekend...

...and then Yale went out and lost twice last week. While Harvard has not clinched the bid yet, they would have to lose both at Yale and at Brown to not get the Ivy bid. Pretty hard to see that happening to this Harvard club.

Still, we will all be watching on March 7th & 8th to hopefully see Harvard wrap it up.

-Jason "I think the pundits expect Harvard to get about a #11 or #12 seed. Not a bad spot for them. I could see them perhaps getting Kentucky... that'd be awesome!!" Evans

Troublemaker
03-03-2014, 09:55 AM
While Harvard has not clinched the bid yet, they would have to lose both at Yale and at Brown to not get the Ivy bid. Pretty hard to see that happening to this Harvard club.

Yeah, KenPom gives it only an 8.7% chance that Harvard would lose both. Looking good for Tommy and Harvard!

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2014, 10:02 AM
-Jason "I think the pundits expect Harvard to get about a #11 or #12 seed. Not a bad spot for them. I could see them perhaps getting Kentucky... that'd be awesome!!" Evans

But that would make Kentucky a 7 or 6 seed. Are we being too optimistic about Kentucky? ;)

In all seriousness, this Kentucky season is making me really happy. 40-0!

sagegrouse
03-08-2014, 12:05 AM
First team to qualify for the NCAAs, as the Crimson beat Yale 70-58 (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400505960)in New Haven. Harvard never trailed, jumping out to a 16-2 lead. The Elis had given the Crimson its only loss in a matchup in Cambridge.

Harvard is 25-4; 12-1 in the Ivy League.

Go Tommy! Fight fiercely, Harvard!

BD80
03-08-2014, 03:03 PM
... -Jason "I think the pundits expect Harvard to get about a #11 or #12 seed. Not a bad spot for them. I could see them perhaps getting Kentucky... that'd be awesome!!" Evans

Which school is the true antithesis of Harvard, uk or unc? At least uk pretends to have classes.

brevity
03-08-2014, 04:38 PM
Which school is the true antithesis of Harvard, uk or unc? At least uk pretends to have classes.

Ah, but Harvard and Kentucky have one rare thing in common: their basketball players are not primarily funded through scholarships.

Henderson
03-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Ah, but Harvard and Kentucky have one rare thing in common: their basketball players are not primarily funded through scholarships.

Two more similarities:

1. The players on both teams average 3.3 GPAs. OK, so Kentucky's are on a 10 point scale, but still...

2. Harvard professor Timothy Leary counseled young people to "tune in, turn on, and drop out." UK players kinda get that dropping out part, though Cal says they aren't tuning in, and the players seem to have trouble turning on to anything other than future NBA careers right now.