PDA

View Full Version : Best Place to watch a game on/near campus

dkball
03-03-2014, 02:09 AM
I am considering getting out of the Ohio cold (hopefully it will be warmer in NC) and coming down for the Duke-unc game this weekend. I don't have tickets and don't expect to find any at a reasonable price, but I thought about hanging around and seeing if I could run myself into a "reasonably" priced ticket. Assuming that goes as I expect, I thought watching the game on or near campus might still be a good experience? I've been down for a few games in the past, but I'm not overly familiar with the area. The closest place I am aware of to watch the game, would be near the medical campus. Is there any where closer to Cameron? Any recommendations for places to watch the game?

FerryFor50
03-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Tobacco Road, near the Durham Bulls Athletic Park.

sagegrouse
03-03-2014, 09:46 AM
I've been down for a few games in the past, but I'm not overly familiar with the area. The closest place I am aware of to watch the game, would be near the medical campus. Is there any where closer to Cameron? Any recommendations for places to watch the game?

The Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club is a five-minute walk from Cameron and has TVs in the Bull Durham Bar. It is by far the closest venue. Moreover, it is a watering hole for fans before and after the game.

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2014, 09:47 AM
On Campus:
-Whatever the Dillo is called now (in the Bryan Center)
-Washington Duke Inn (great environment, not loud, excellent food and beer, really expensive)

Off Campus:
-Tobacco Road Sports Cafe (Durhamites, few students)
-Satisfactions (lots of students)
-Federal (grad students, great beer selection, really small)
-Dain's Place (burger joint off East, great beer, fun environment, small)
-Tyler's Taproom (a sports bar in the famous tobacco district)
-Alivia's (last alternative)

Troublemaker
03-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Another vote for Washington Duke Inn here.

If that's a bit too pricy and you want to be around rowdy students, I would go with Satisfaction's off-campus.

dkball
03-05-2014, 01:50 AM
Thank you everyone for your responses.

El_Diablo
03-05-2014, 10:51 AM
One extra benefit associated with the Washington Duke or whatever is in the Bryan Center now (RIP Dillo) is that, if/when Duke wins, you will be close enough to walk over and observe the bench burning on the main quad. :cool:

Dukeface88
03-05-2014, 03:29 PM
One extra benefit associated with the Washington Duke or whatever is in the Bryan Center now (RIP Dillo) is that, if/when Duke wins, you will be close enough to walk over and observe the bench burning on the main quad. :cool:

I think the Loop took Dillo's spot. What's in the Loop's old space I do not know.

dukebsbll14
03-05-2014, 03:39 PM
I think the Loop took Dillo's spot. What's in the Loop's old space I do not know.

The Loop is there now. You can view the current Loop space here: http://westunioncam.studentaffairs.duke.edu/view/viewer_index.shtml?id=1758

(Spoiler alert if the link doesn't work: it's been reduced to rubble)

Dev11
03-05-2014, 04:01 PM
All of the best options have been put down here, but I just wanted to echo,

RIP The Dillo

-jk
03-05-2014, 04:50 PM
The Loop is there now. You can view the current Loop space here: http://westunioncam.studentaffairs.duke.edu/view/viewer_index.shtml?id=1758

(Spoiler alert if the link doesn't work: it's been reduced to rubble)

That's certainly a new look. Took me a bit to get oriented (http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5055/5517267035_bfb65aeb3e_o.jpg).

-jk

blazindw
03-05-2014, 05:06 PM

RIP The Dillo

The Dillo will never rest in peace. It lives on forever. I'm going to go to the Loop in April for my reunion and walk straight up there and ask for the pencils so I can make my taco order with a side of wings and queso and I'm gonna give them the funniest look until they actually cave in and make it!

Also to the OP, the Bryan Center is where you want to be. The atmosphere there is beaten by only two places: Cameron and Duke DC's watch parties. :)

weezie
03-05-2014, 06:28 PM
The Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club is a five-minute walk from Cameron and has TVs in the Bull Durham Bar. It is by far the closest venue. Moreover, it is a watering hole for fans before and after the game.

Sage is right but the beer is nasty.

weezie
03-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Also to the OP, the Bryan Center is where you want to be. The atmosphere there is beaten by only two places: Cameron and Duke DC's watch parties. :)

Although, I remember a particularly boozy, loud evening in a bar in LA many years ago. We took that bar and throttled it into submission and baptized several new Duke fans in the process.

The challenge is to command the venue!

pfrduke
03-05-2014, 08:21 PM

RIP The Dillo

This was news to me and I am saddened by it.

El_Diablo
03-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Sage is right but the beer is nasty.

You don't like Red Oak???