PDA

View Full Version : Dukies in Pro Baseball, 2014 edition

awhom111
03-01-2014, 12:52 AM
I think at some point I have to dust this
topic (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?28290-Dukies-in-Pro-Baseball) off.

Our Duke players on 40 man rosters are in Spring Training. Chris Capuano and Alex Hassan are with the Red Sox and Nate Freiman and Danny Otero are with the A's.

On the non-roster invitees list, Greg Burke is with the Rockies, Marcus Stroman is with the Blue Jays, and Dennis O'Grady is with the Padres.

I think I got everyone, although sometimes getting the right list is harder than it looks.

arnie
03-01-2014, 08:22 PM
I think at some point I have to dust this
topic (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?28290-Dukies-in-Pro-Baseball) off.

Our Duke players on 40 man rosters are in Spring Training. Chris Capuano and Alex Hassan are with the Red Sox and Nate Freiman and Danny Otero are with the A's.

On the non-roster invitees list, Greg Burke is with the Rockies, Marcus Stroman is with the Blue Jays, and Dennis O'Grady is with the Padres.

I think I got everyone, although sometimes getting the right list is harder than it looks.

Thanks for keeping up with this. Hopefully 4 or 5 will make the final rosters.

awhom111
03-31-2014, 04:54 PM
Looks like we only have Chris Capuano with the Red Sox and the three quarters of Danny Otero that I continue to cling on to for our Opening Day former Blue Devils.

Minor League assignments will come soon and I will update them as we get them.

awhom111
04-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Minor Leagues:

Greg Burke is at AAA Colorado Springs for the Rockies.
Nate Freiman is at AAA Sacramento for the A's.
Alex Hassan is at AAA Pawtucket for the Red Sox.
Jake Lemmerman was a minor league Rule 5 pick by the Padres and is currently at AAA El Paso.
Dennis O'Grady is at AA San Antonio for the Padres.
Marcus Stroman is at AAA Buffalo for the Blue Jays.
Will Piwnica-Worms is at High A Potomac for the Nationals.

I think I have everyone who has played a minor league game so far this season, but please let me know if I am missing somebody.

awhom111
04-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Jake Lemmerman is back down at AA San Antonio where he started the year. Ryan McCurdy started his season with the Astros' AAA team in Oklahoma City (not to be confused with the Astros themselves who may or may not resemble a AAA team).

awhom111
05-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Jake Lemmerman is back at AAA El Paso.
Will Piwnica-Worms was at AAA Syracuse briefly without making an appearance but is back in Potomac.
David Putman made his season debut at low A Kannapolis in the White Sox's organization.

awhom111
05-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Marcus Stroman was added to the Blue Jays' 40 man roster, called up, and given his Major League debut yesterday.

awhom111
05-13-2014, 09:26 PM
Recent moves include Dennis O'Grady being promoted to El Paso. Unfortunately, Jake Lemmerman made the opposite move a few days later back down to San Antonio.

awhom111
05-20-2014, 04:48 PM
The Blue Jays optioned Marcus Stroman back to Buffalo after he got rocked a couple of times. He will go back to starting there instead of relieving.

Jeff Kremer has returned to Rockford in the independent Frontier League.

awhom111
05-31-2014, 04:08 PM
Marcus Stroman got called up to make the start today and the Blue Jays decided to give him plenty of run support to make sure he got a win.

awhom111
06-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Also jumping to the majors this weekend was Alex Hassan as he made his debut on Sunday for the Red Sox. He has not been quite as good as last year in Pawtucket, but I suppose he can't do much worse than Nava has so far this season.

awhom111
06-06-2014, 12:56 AM
The MLB Draft continues with Rounds 3-10 tomorrow at 1:00pm EDT with Rounds 11-40 on Saturday at 1:00pm EDT. Coverage will be on mlb.com as we may start seeing Duke picks tomorrow.

nocilla
06-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Marcus Stroman got called up to make the start today and the Blue Jays decided to give him plenty of run support to make sure he got a win.

Stroman will get another start today against the Cardinals @ 7:00 pm.

jv001
06-06-2014, 08:07 AM
Stroman will get another start today against the Cardinals @ 7:00 pm.

With the way my Cardinals are hitting, Stroman will probably pitch a shutout. GoDuke and GoRedbirds!

awhom111
06-06-2014, 09:55 PM
A couple of items:

Jake Lemmerman was promoted to AAA again so now there are two former Blue Devils in El Paso

Drew Van Orden was drafted in the 5th round by the Nationals today. As a senior, he will probably get stiffed on the signing bonus, but he will still get a nice chunk of change.

No signees were drafted today. That is a good sign for getting them on campus.

accfanfrom1970
06-07-2014, 02:06 AM
With the way my Cardinals are hitting, Stroman will probably pitch a shutout. GoDuke and GoRedbirds!

Almost, 6 innings, one run, 7 K's. 3-0 record for Marcus.

awhom111
06-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Jordan Betts was drafted in the 18th Round by the Red Sox.

Robert Huber was drafted in the 26th Round by the A's.

We also had some signees drafted today, so we will see what they decide.

How bad would it feel to work hard to play three or four years of college baseball only to find out that you were drafted after Johnny Manziel?

awhom111
06-10-2014, 04:31 PM
After being released by the Reds, Chris Manno was just signed by the Nationals and makes it two former Duke players at High A Potomac.

jimsumner
06-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Marcus Stroman is currently pitching against Minnesota, on MLB Network.

awhom111
06-11-2014, 04:17 PM
The Red Sox sent Alex Hassan back to Pawtucket.

awhom111
06-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Jordan Betts has signed with the Red Sox and started with Lowell in the Short Season A Ball New York-Penn League.

Olympic Fan
06-18-2014, 02:54 PM
I watched Marcus Stroman get the start against the Yankees last night.

It was his fourth start (he's in the rotation since the last week of May). Technically it was his worst start -- just 3.2 innings. It wasn't that bad -- he have up just two runs. But he threw 98 pitches before he was pulled two outs in the fourth. He got the loss for giving up a two-run homer to Brett Gardner (it hit the foul pole) and because the Blue Jays could almost nothing against Tanaka, who gave up one run (on the first pitch of the game!).

Stroman is now 3-2 ... he has a 3.80 ERA as a starter (overall, it's higher because of his early struggles as a reliever).

awhom111
06-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Drew Van Orden has reported to the Nationals' affiliate in the Gulf Coast Rookie League.

Robert Huber has been hit hard in a couple outings with the A's affiliate in the Arizona Rookie League.

awhom111
06-27-2014, 09:21 PM
Chris Capuano was recently DFA by the Red Sox, leaving Marcus Stroman as the sole representative. I might have to go back to claiming our transfers.

David Putman was promoted to High A Winston-Salem.

arnie
06-28-2014, 07:19 AM
Chris Capuano was recently DFA by the Red Sox, leaving Marcus Stroman as the sole representative. I might have to go back to claiming our transfers.

David Putman was promoted to High A Winston-Salem.

So what do you think the Red Sox next step is, wrt Capuano? I know he hasn't been a starter but thought he was still effective.

budwom
06-28-2014, 08:17 AM
What's with Freiman? He had a decent year last year, and if the stats I see are correct, he's driven in something like 69 runs so far at Sacramento?
I know the A's have a great team, but that's not good enough to get elevated?

awhom111
06-29-2014, 12:38 AM
So what do you think the Red Sox next step is, wrt Capuano? I know he hasn't been a starter but thought he was still effective.

My guess is that they will let him go see if he can find somewhere else to play. With the Red Sox still well out of the chase, they probably would rather not wait for a veteran to return to his start of season effectiveness.

What's with Freiman? He had a decent year last year, and if the stats I see are correct, he's driven in something like 69 runs so far at Sacramento?

I think the A's wanted to give one last chance to Daric Barton to start the season. Barton was terrible and is now gone with the A's getting Kyle Blanks relatively cheaply. Nate actually did not start the minor league season that well then suddenly went on a tear and regained his power. I think they are happy to let him play every day in AAA until they need him. Blanks was just put on the DL, so who knows how soon that may come.

Dev11
06-29-2014, 11:52 AM

Ask and ye shall receive, Nate was called up this morning to replaced the injured Josh Reddick.

accfanfrom1970
06-29-2014, 02:37 PM
Ask and ye shall receive, Nate was called up this morning to replaced the injured Josh Reddick.

And hits a 3-run bomb to put the A's up 4-1. Really rooting for Nate, hope they find enough at bats for him to stay in the bigs...

Jim3k
06-29-2014, 11:11 PM
Nate actually did not start the minor league season that well then suddenly went on a tear and regained his power. I think they are happy to let him play every day in AAA until they need him. Blanks was just put on the DL, so who knows how soon that may come.

Nate said in the post game interview that the hitting coaches in Sacramento have had him lower his hands and shorten his stroke. His (game-winning) HR today is a direct result of that change. The modification has improved both his average and his power, not to mention RBIs. He's also fielding his position better. Almost had a non-routine 3-6-3 DP today. His throw was on the money. A speedy hitter beat the return throw. Still, he got the lead runner.

With both Reddick and Blanks on the DL, Nate now has the opportunity to be a real major leaguer. Last year he was a Rule 5 roster player. Did well enough to keep, but not as well as others.

awhom111
07-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Drew Van Orden has moved up to Short Season A ball at Auburn in the New York-Penn League.

awhom111
07-07-2014, 09:35 PM
Chris Capuano signed a minor league deal with the Rockies and joined Greg Burke in Colorado Springs.

I am thinking about not updating transactions here anymore mostly because goduke.com has done a fantastic job with it so far this season.

arnie
07-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Chris Capuano signed a minor league deal with the Rockies and joined Greg Burke in Colorado Springs.

I am thinking about not updating transactions here anymore mostly because goduke.com has done a fantastic job with it so far this season.

Thanks for your updates. I haven't been on GoDuke in awhile, guess I'll need to go there from time to time.

nocilla
07-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Marcus Stroman continues to have a fine rookie campaign for the Blue Jays. He is currently 5-2 with 7 quality starts in 9 attempts. He is on the hill right now facing the Red Sox and after 6 innings he appears to be in line for his 6th win.

budwom
07-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Marcus Stroman continues to have a fine rookie campaign for the Blue Jays. He is currently 5-2 with 7 quality starts in 9 attempts. He is on the hill right now facing the Red Sox and after 6 innings he appears to be in line for his 6th win.

In fact he gave up only a bloop single in the 7th inning for the Sox only hit against him........tremendous outing, he had a 94 mph fastball, wicked curve and great changeup going...second outing in a row with no runs in seven innings, 2.21 ERA now as a starter.

Olympic Fan
07-25-2014, 12:33 PM
Chris Capuano was just purchased by the Yankees. No timetable for activation, but the Yanks are in desperate need of a left starter:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24636203/yankees-acquire-chris-capuano-from-rockies-for-cash

arnie
07-25-2014, 09:50 PM
Chris Capuano was just purchased by the Yankees. No timetable for activation, but the Yanks are in desperate need of a left starter:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24636203/yankees-acquire-chris-capuano-from-rockies-for-cash

Just saw they're activating him and will start for Yanks in next few days!

Olympic Fan
07-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Capuano to start for the Yankees today (Saturday) against Toronto in the Stadium (1 p.m.)

He's trying to extend an amazing streak -- The Yankees have beaten the Blue Jays 17 straight times in Yankee Stadium after Friday night's win. The last Toronto win in the Bronx came in August of 2012.

Here's hoping Chris can make it 18!

Olympic Fan
07-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Not a bad debut for Capuano with the Yankees -- even if the Blue Jays did break their losing streak in the Bronx with a 6-4 win.

It wasn't his fault. The ex-Duke lefty recorded a quality start -- two runs on four hits in six innings. He left with the game tied at 2-all. Kelly gave up the go-ahead run in the seventh.

I'm sure that guarantees Capuano more starts with the Yankees. To soon to say he'll stick the entire season, but it looks good for now.

nocilla
07-28-2014, 08:37 AM
Nate Frieman was optioned back to Triple-A Sacramento as Callaspo returned from the DL.

Duvall
08-18-2014, 02:56 AM
Nate Freiman kills baseball. (http://m.mlb.com/video/v35458263)

Jim3k
08-18-2014, 03:20 AM
Nate Freiman kills baseball. (http://m.mlb.com/video/v35458263)

Nate hit a second homer later in the game.

Olympic Fan
08-29-2014, 10:54 PM
Chris Capuano finally caught a break with the Yankees.

Since joining NY, he had pitched fairly well -- not great, but decent. Six of his seven starts have gone at least six innings. He's had five games where he's allowed two earned runs or less. The big note is that in five of his seven starts he left with the lead or a tie game.

Yet, until Friday night, he had not been able to win. Friday, he allowed one run in six innings against the Blue Jays. But he was down 1-0 before the Yankees scored five times in the top of the seventh. The bullpen held up ... the Yankees took a 6-3 win and Capuano got his first win with the Yankees.

Jim3k
08-30-2014, 12:15 AM
On Thursday in Anaheim, Dan Otero was involved in a weird play. In the bottom of the eighth, tied 3-3, the first batter, Erick Aybar hits a high bouncer up the first baseline. Playable by both Otero and 1B Brandon Moss. The ball is fair and coming down in fair territory. Both Moss and Otero end up side by side, Otero wholly on the grass and Moss with one foot on the inside running lane line; otherwise the running lane is clear. Aybar chooses fairly early to veer way outside the baseline onto the infield grass and to collide with Otero who has made the grab. In the collision, Otero tags Aybar and hangs on to the ball. Aybar out, right?

Not according to the homeplate umpire Geg Gibson who ruled Moss had obstructed Aybar and awarded him first base. Moss and Aybar never touched each other. Long discussion ensued. Eventually the A's persuaded the umps to huddle. They did, but ruled it was a discretionary call by Gibson. After that, the A's formally played under protest, since it is not a play which is reviewable in New York. But...as is common...the play did not determine the game's outcome. (Angels loaded the bases, but did not score.) So the next morning the A's withdrew the protest. (Angels had won it in the tenth on a sac fly.)

I'd like to get a ruling, but it's never going to happen. Otero did exactly what he should have. Indeed, both Moss and Otero are trying to make a play on the ball. That gives Aybar some room off the line, because he can't interfere with a fielder. But Moss never came close to blocking him and he went out of his way to try to knock the ball loose from Otero. Since Aybar initiated the contact with Otero, how can the call go against Moss?

Jim3k
08-30-2014, 04:47 PM
This may not be of general interest but it does relate to the A's protest which they withdrew. John Hickey of the SJMN and the CCTimes (http://www.contracostatimes.com/athletics/ci_26433258/oakland-drop-protest-against-angels) explains what the A's mental process was. In the story he also points out the reasoning behind the umpires' decision.

I'm still unpersuaded given Aybar's refusal to run the baseline and to charge into Otero. The clip shows what happened (despite these announcers' confusion over who fielded the ball).

roywhite
08-30-2014, 10:11 PM
Okay, not a serious pro baseball post, but maybe there are some potential diamond stars on Coach K's basketball team:

Duke Basketball: Wiffle Ball Showdown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8rEvlU7Q1Y&feature=youtu.be)

wilson
09-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Scary moment for Marcus Stroman today. Close encounter between a screaming ball and his face.
http://mweb.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24701682/gif-marcus-stroman-narrowly-avoids-comebacker-to-the-face?v=1&vc=4

roywhite
03-10-2015, 10:31 PM
Scary moment for Marcus Stroman today. Close encounter between a screaming ball and his face.
http://mweb.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24701682/gif-marcus-stroman-narrowly-avoids-comebacker-to-the-face?v=1&vc=4

Well, it turns out to be 6 months later, but some actual bad news for Marcus Stroman

Marcus Stroman has torn left ACL (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12455633/marcus-stroman-toronto-blue-jays-torn-left-acl)

....torn ACL and will miss the 2015 season, the team announced Tuesday....

The 23-year-old righty went 11-6 with a 3.65 ERA last season as a rookie and figured prominently in the team's hopes to reach the postseason for the first time in 22 years.

General manager Alex Anthopoulos said Stroman was participating in bunting practice when he was called off by third baseman Josh Donaldson. Stroman planted his feet to stop then felt a pop in his left knee. An MRI confirmed the tear.