PDA

View Full Version : College basketball's current best story

SupaDave
02-27-2014, 09:23 PM
Every now and then something catches me and this question has popped up:

Currently - what is college basketball's best story?

Is it the lunar development of Marcus Paige?
The perfection of a role by Tyler Thornton?
NCCU's dominance under the radar?
Wichita State's 30-0?
SMU's emergence?
Freshmen phenom Tyler Ennis?
The return of Andre Dawkins?
Virginia's surprise ACC dominance?
Maryland crying all the way home?
Kentucky's 40-0 this season?

I'm sure there's more. What you got?

Duvall
02-27-2014, 09:28 PM

Wichita State's 30-0?
SMU's emergence?

Vermont dominating the America East Conference, now up to 14-1 in conference play with one game to play.

dukelifer
02-27-2014, 09:33 PM

Wichita State's 30-0?
SMU's emergence?

Andrew Wiggins is not Lebron James?

uh_no
02-27-2014, 09:36 PM

Wichita State's 30-0?
SMU's emergence?

in light of events of about a minutes ago...

gotta go with "the quest for perfection"

gocanes0506
02-27-2014, 09:43 PM

Wichita State's 30-0?
SMU's emergence?

Is it the lunar development of Marcus Paige? Cant vote this its UNX, plus they struggled too much
The perfection of a role by Tyler Thornton? JP gets too much coverage for this to be a big story
NCCU's dominance under the radar? Too much cup cake city
Wichita State's 30-0? Yes but too easy of a schedule. If cuse was still going it would be different
SMU's emergence? Its nice but I cant wait for the impeccable brown to retire so they will stink again
Freshmen phenom Tyler Ennis? My vote, he has been nasty.
The return of Andre Dawkins? If he can score more than 15 in all the post season games then this will seriously sprout up
Virginia's surprise ACC dominance? Again nice but they have played an easy ACC schedule
Maryland crying all the way home? Screw them
Kentucky's 40-0 this season? My number 2 vote. And they just lost to Arkansas at home. Minus one lucky season his all freshmen experience year after year is a fail

My addition would be the first year players performances across the country.

roywhite
02-27-2014, 09:51 PM
Also right up there....the instantaneous combustion of a red-hot rivalry....Duke vs Syracuse.

Two prime time games that were absolutely must see TV for any fan of college hoops, and entertaining even to a casual spectator.

Wander
02-27-2014, 10:03 PM
I'm with roywhite - Duke-Syracuse might be not just the most talked about game of the season, but the TWO most talked about games of the season. Honorable mention to Creighton dropping 500 points on Villanova though.

jacone21
02-27-2014, 10:14 PM
I have to go with the return to beautiful, free flowing offense, and dependable, consistent officiating that have resulted from this season's emphasis on calling fouls. Not since Christopher Paul invented the assist, has college basketball been so lovely to behold.

nmduke2001
02-27-2014, 10:16 PM
The rise of UNM's Cameron Bairstow is crazy. This year he averages more than his previous career high in points. No team wants to deal with this guy in the tourney...

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/26/most-improved-players-lists-cannot-leave-off-new-mexicos-cameron-bairstow/

brevity
02-27-2014, 11:22 PM
Too many ACC options. I know, ACC-based board, but still.

The story of the season is Wichita State. Until they lose, and even when they lose, or don't lose. Collectively, we still talk about St. Joseph's and Stanford when we think of the 2003-2004 season, because of how they started. Only a handful of people will remember -- including members of this board, who would prefer to forget -- how that season ended.

The ironic thing (I'm pretty sure this is irony) is that the naysayers are the ones that have been making Wichita State the center of attention for most of the season. Are they a 1 seed? Hell yes they are. 1 seeds aren't about the four best statistical representatives, or the four most popular Final Four picks. They are about the four teams that had the best seasons, and you better believe a good narrative figures into that. Wichita State only drops to a #2 seed if you can think of 4 major conference teams that have a better season-long story. Until last week, you had Syracuse and Florida. Now you just have Florida.

The more you accept what's happening here with Wichita State, the less time you spend actually thinking about them.

1999ballboy
02-28-2014, 12:44 AM
The rise of UNM's Cameron Bairstow is crazy. This year he averages more than his previous career high in points. No team wants to deal with this guy in the tourney...

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/26/most-improved-players-lists-cannot-leave-off-new-mexicos-cameron-bairstow/

I can't believe that ESPN list left off both him AND Caris LeVert. Paige aside, they're the two most glaringly improved players in the country. The obvious recent comparison to their emergence would be Jodie Meeks, who averaged 8 PPG before breaking out with a 23 PPG average in 2009.

Troublemaker
02-28-2014, 06:06 AM
Can someone really be the head coach at Kansas and North Carolina for a combined 26 years* and win ZERO** national championships? Difficult as that is to believe, Roy Williams is well on his way to accomplishing just that. So, perhaps I can be accused of viewing college basketball too much through the prism of the Duke-UNC rivalry, but I say the best story in college basketball this season is Roy's chase for his elusive first national title. And, with every passing season in which this goal eludes him, the pressure will only continue to mount and the story will only grow more epic. So, his chase isn't just the best story of THIS season; it's the best story of EVERY college basketball season for the rest of his career until he wins one, if he wins one.

*: Roy coached 15 years at Kansas. This is his 11th season at UNC.

**: **

roywhite
02-28-2014, 07:35 AM
Can someone really be the head coach at Kansas and North Carolina for a combined 26 years* and win ZERO** national championships? Difficult as that is to believe, Roy Williams is well on his way to accomplishing just that. So, perhaps I can be accused of viewing college basketball too much through the prism of the Duke-UNC rivalry, but I say the best story in college basketball this season is Roy's chase for his elusive first national title. And, with every passing season in which this goal eludes him, the pressure will only continue to mount and the story will only grow more epic. So, his chase isn't just the best story of THIS season; it's the best story of EVERY college basketball season for the rest of his career until he wins one, if he wins one.

*: Roy coached 15 years at Kansas. This is his 11th season at UNC.

**: **

Okay, I'll ask....what do you mean here? Are you saying that scandal does/will wipe out his 2005 and 2009 UNC titles?

OldPhiKap
02-28-2014, 07:40 AM
1. Wichita State, until they lose.
2. UNC scandals (combined)
3. Duke-Syracuse = instant energy

jv001
02-28-2014, 07:58 AM
1. Duke-Syracuse mini rivalry
2. UNC Scandals
3. Amazing Freshman in college basketball
4. Wichita State undefeated season
5. JB's meltdown
6. Kentucky's meltdown
7. SMU rise under Larry Brown
8. Marcus Smart's meltdown
9. Zone defenses this year
10. Duke women suffer major injuries

Wichita State would be number one if they had played just a half decent schedule.
GoDuke!

Troublemaker
02-28-2014, 08:08 AM
Okay, I'll ask....what do you mean here? Are you saying that scandal does/will wipe out his 2005 and 2009 UNC titles?

Roy Williams has more desire in his air quote fingers than the entire UNC fanbase combined. This has led him to win two "national championships*" BUT he has won zero national championships.

MCFinARL
02-28-2014, 08:29 AM
On the women's side, the likely NCAA tournament showdown of UConn and Notre Dame could be an epic game and a great story--though obviously there's no telling yet.

Otherwise, a lot of good suggestions here. Wichita State and the "instant rivalry" of Duke-Syracuse would be high on my list. Another story that is not especially "good" in the sense of appealing but is, I think, significant, is the relative lack of dominant teams this year--the teams with all of those hot freshmen--Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, there may be a couple others I am forgetting--are good, but have not played as well as inflated pre-season expectations for those frosh predicted. Other pre-season favorites--Michigan State, Oklahoma State, etc.--have also struggled more than expected. Two of the top ten teams and half of the top twenty have 5 or more losses.

Re Virginia--this could be a sleeper. As pointed out earlier, they benefited from a pretty easy league schedule, and they started the season with some unimpressive losses. But they are playing very well and very confidently right now--if (a big if) they beat Syracuse and win the ACC Tournament, that is a pretty big story. Probably still not the biggest in NCAA hoops, though.

devilsadvocate85
02-28-2014, 08:56 AM
Is it the lunar development of Marcus Paige? Cant vote this its UNX, plus they struggled too much
The perfection of a role by Tyler Thornton? JP gets too much coverage for this to be a big story
NCCU's dominance under the radar? Too much cup cake city
Wichita State's 30-0? Yes but too easy of a schedule. If cuse was still going it would be different
SMU's emergence? Its nice but I cant wait for the impeccable brown to retire so they will stink again
Freshmen phenom Tyler Ennis? My vote, he has been nasty.
The return of Andre Dawkins? If he can score more than 15 in all the post season games then this will seriously sprout up
Virginia's surprise ACC dominance? Again nice but they have played an easy ACC schedule
Maryland crying all the way home? Screw them
Kentucky's 40-0 this season? My number 2 vote. And they just lost to Arkansas at home. Minus one lucky season his all freshmen experience year after year is a fail

My addition would be the first year players performances across the country.

I disagree on NCCU. NCCU's win at State was not a fluke, they outplayed the Wolfpack. Looking at their results, their 5 losses all came on the road. By 13 to Cincinnati, 11 at Wichita State and 14 at Maryland being quality opponents on the road and they did not get blown out. No losses since early January.

They are clearly a good team.

DBFAN
02-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Although I'm not a huge fan, I would be remiss if I didn't say Doug McDermott should be on that list somewhere

Mike Corey
02-28-2014, 09:11 AM
My favorite story has been the development of Jabari Parker. There was a lot of uncertainty as to just how good he would be; I'm grateful as a fan of college basketball to have seen him develop over the course of the season, and to see this happen in Duke blue. He was outbuzzed for quite a while by a superior dunker in Mr. Wiggins; but once the season began, the substance and breadth of Mr. Parker's game was clearly superior to every other freshman in America, and with perhaps one or two exceptions, to every other collegiate player, as well.

To me, the "best" story is the rise of Middle America basketball: Kansas has always been there, of course. But now you've got Wichita State, Iowa, Iowa State, Creighton--even the Univ. of Nebraska showing signs of promise--playing great, exciting basketball. How the flip did that happen?!

roywhite
02-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Although I'm not a huge fan, I would be remiss if I didn't say Doug McDermott should be on that list somewhere

Agree. Gotta figure CBS and their broadcast partners are rooting for Creighton to make a big run in the NCAA Tournament. Many elements of a great story:

Coach's son
Moving up the career scoring list
Team shoots a ton of 3-pt shots
Not a traditional power on the order of KY, Duke, AZ, etc.
McDermott wasn't the most hyped guy even on his high school team, but is turning out to be the best (smiling at you, Black Pigeon)

Billy Dat
02-28-2014, 09:16 AM

I think it's Wichita State and McBuckets.

In terms of Wichita State, they have some good out of conference wins and they haven't lost. We are not talking about a Calipari Memphis team loaded with future lottery picks playing in Conference USA. Cleanthony Early is, maybe, a first round pick, but he'd be in the bottom half. As many pundits have said, there is a HUGE drop off from no losses to one loss. Perfection is elusive and should be celebrated until the run ends.

As for Doug McDermott, he's going to finish out as one of 7 players in NCAA history with 3,000 points, should finish, at worst, 7th on the all-time scoring list, and will be a first team All American for three years in a row. That's huge. Not to immediately throw cold water on the NCAA all time scoring list, but it is really a random collection at the top - Hall of Famers and guys who never really had outstanding pro careers. I didn't realize Lionel "L Train" Simmons scored 3,200+ points and is 3rd all time!

OldPhiKap
02-28-2014, 09:35 AM
That Uncle Drew is in New Orleans, looking for The Big Man.

TexHawk
02-28-2014, 10:12 AM
10 straight power conference championships? Anyone? John Wooden didn't even do that.

Of course he ain't Lebron James, but barring a faceplant in the last 3 games, Andrew Wiggins should win Big12 POY. He also should be considered for national DPOY, but he won't be.

SupaDave
02-28-2014, 10:13 AM
To me, the "best" story is the rise of Middle America basketball: Kansas has always been there, of course. But now you've got Wichita State, Iowa, Iowa State, Creighton--even the Univ. of Nebraska showing signs of promise--playing great, exciting basketball. How the flip did that happen?!

Don't forget Wisconsin...

Billy Dat
02-28-2014, 10:18 AM
10 straight power conference championships? Anyone? John Wooden didn't even do that.

GREAT call. Bill Self is incredible - arguably the best in the business right now in terms of recruiting, recent success, all of it.

roywhite
02-28-2014, 10:19 AM

I think it's Wichita State and McBuckets.

Don't forget Wisconsin...

Possible NCAA Tournament drinking game....every time "Heartland" is mentioned, take a sip.

Naaah....too dangerous to your health.

OldPhiKap
02-28-2014, 11:01 AM
GREAT call. Bill Self is incredible - arguably the best in the business right now in terms of recruiting, recent success, all of it.

Bill Self is clearly the best coach Kansas has had since Phog Allen.

johnb
02-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Top story?

Kansas and/or Bill Self? Yawn. Their recruiting is impressive, and their fans appear enthusiastic, but count me as someone who is not impressed by the minute-to-minute play of either of their freshman stars; highlight clips yes, but also prolonged disappearances. My family's from the midwest, and everyone knows that KU plays in a football league kinda like FSU plays in a basketball league: yeah, I was thrilled that the Seminoles brought home some ACC glory, but watching the football NC doesn't hold a candle to any of the NCAA tourney weekends. And I'm fairly confident the reverse is true for all of Kansas's conference opponents during the year.

Women's basketball? Only if U Conn loses to somebody. Yeah, they're great, but I have no interest in watching them beat everybody by 30 or reading anything about their coach until it's a post-retirement retrospective.

Wichita State deserves a #1 seed, but I bet when/if they reach the elite 8, Vegas will view them as undefeated underdogs.

Carolina only if two national championships get vacated for their use of ineligible players. Have their initial, "mythical" championship vacated as well, and it's the story of my adult sports lifetime. If they keep their banners & have lots of 2014 post-season success, this is an anti-story, and I'll simply not read about it.

For my schadenfreude to really kick in, Kentucky would also have to end the season on a prolonged losing streak. I'm pessimistic about such an event, but I can dream. I wish we could get them in North Carolina just to hear the stands reverberate with 40-0.

An SMU re-emergence would require that they had ever previously emerged. Since I grew up in Dallas, I'd be happy for them to really succeed; somebody has to win games that don't involve Duke, and it might as well be a school that generally wins about 10 a year.

Jabari? Only if he decides to come back for his sophomore year (or if he wins his last collegiate game).

I might just go with Boeheim, who's one early retirement from being the all-time winningest coach: his refusal to admit that he was at fault after his baby-tantrum or that he'd do it differently or that he cost his team the game could potentially have big downstream repercussions: hold (adult) coaches to the same standards as (late adolescent) players.

DukeDevil
02-28-2014, 10:29 PM

I'm moving out to Iowa for fellowship this Summer. I believe they heard and got their act together...it wouldn't do for me to not have any decent local b-ball to watch for the next few years.

Dunkin
02-28-2014, 10:48 PM

Wichita State's 30-0?
SMU's emergence?

I am going to pick SMU's emergence since I am an SMU grad and I am so relieved that they picked Larry Brown to succeed Doh after putting up with him for 6 of the 7 years that they gave him for his contract. I just don't know how long Larry will stay, but it's fun while it lasts.

A devoted Duke fan since 1969.

gocanes0506
02-28-2014, 10:59 PM
I disagree on NCCU. NCCU's win at State was not a fluke, they outplayed the Wolfpack. Looking at their results, their 5 losses all came on the road. By 13 to Cincinnati, 11 at Wichita State and 14 at Maryland being quality opponents on the road and they did not get blown out. No losses since early January.

They are clearly a good team.

I agree they are a good team. I cant say they are College Basketball's best story with their schedule that has too many cup cakes.

Wander
02-28-2014, 11:53 PM
I agree they are a good team. I cant say they are College Basketball's best story with their schedule that has too many cup cakes.

Dude. It's NC Central. They haven't even been in Division 1 for a decade. You expect them to make the Maui field and have a home-and-home series with Kansas?

SupaDave
03-01-2014, 05:07 PM

Cupcakes? Let's see here...

They are 10-5 on the road - few schools have accomplished that this year no matter the conference (3 of those losses to established programs).
They beat Campbell, NC State, and Appalachian State in a span of 6 days. (if NC State manages to beat both Cuse and UNC then this becomes even more impressive)
They beat an ODU team that's holding it's own in Conference USA - a conference much stronger than the MEAC.
They beat a Winthrop team that's 5th in the Big South Conference - a conference that UNC and Duke both like to play from time to time.

And quite frankly - if they had Wichita State's schedule there's a high probability they would have the same record as they do now.

They win the games they're supposed to win - most of them decisively (something many teams can't say this year).

You will see their games get bigger. The MEAC has no problem getting ACC schools on its schedule (notice that NCCU played TWO ACC teams).

Definitely not the best story in basketball - unless you went or go to NCCU - but this is THE team this year that could turn some heads in the tourney. Their story isn't over. They could get a rematch with Wichita State - on a neutral court - and they will be ready. In fact - forget that 16 seed stuff. I think with a MEAC tourney championship they come in as a smoking hot 14 seed.

Wander
03-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Cupcakes? Let's see here...

They are 10-5 on the road - few schools have accomplished that this year no matter the conference (3 of those losses to established programs).
They beat Campbell, NC State, and Appalachian State in a span of 6 days. (if NC State manages to beat both Cuse and UNC then this becomes even more impressive)
They beat an ODU team that's holding it's own in Conference USA - a conference much stronger than the MEAC.
They beat a Winthrop team that's 5th in the Big South Conference - a conference that UNC and Duke both like to play from time to time.

And quite frankly - if they had Wichita State's schedule there's a high probability they would have the same record as they do now.

They win the games they're supposed to win - most of them decisively (something many teams can't say this year).

You will see their games get bigger. The MEAC has no problem getting ACC schools on its schedule (notice that NCCU played TWO ACC teams).

Definitely not the best story in basketball - unless you went or go to NCCU - but this is THE team this year that could turn some heads in the tourney. Their story isn't over. They could get a rematch with Wichita State - on a neutral court - and they will be ready. In fact - forget that 16 seed stuff. I think with a MEAC tourney championship they come in as a smoking hot 14 seed.

They're a good story. I like them. As I pointed out, the comment about them playing cupcakes was silly - but it wasn't silly because it was false. It was silly because they're a low-major team, and of course they should be playing worse schedules than we play. Wichita State's schedule is ranked 130th in the country - people (legitimately) point out that this is much worse than Duke's or Florida's. NCCU's is 348th. There are 351 teams in Division 1.