PDA

View Full Version : Wake Forest Fans - Cool or Not?

BlueDevilBrowns
02-27-2014, 04:06 PM
I scored free tickets at work to the Duke vs. Wake game next week at LJVM(first time going to a game at WF) and was wondering how the atmosphere was for visiting fans?

My general impression was Wake fans(the few I've run into) are usually pretty chill but thought I'd ask the opinion of those that have been to games there before.

I'm not an obnoxious fan(at least in person) and generally get along with everyone, but wanted to make sure if I wear my Duke Gear I wasn't walking into a "Maryland situation".

Thoughts?

Duvall
02-27-2014, 04:12 PM
Not.

I mean, you should be fine at the game - visiting fans show up at the Joel all the time. But Wake Forest fans aren't cool. I mean, tie-dye? Still?

OldPhiKap
02-27-2014, 04:44 PM
I think you should be fine. Wake fans are more concerned about firing Bzrzrkrds (or whatever his name is) than the opposing team.

Most Wake grads I know are good folks. You will be treated better at Joel than they are at Cameron. And neither compares to MD.

Duke_92
02-27-2014, 04:47 PM
I've been to both football and basketball games at Wake in full Duke gear. Always given a hearty welcome at the gate and never any problems with the fans.

nmduke2001
02-27-2014, 04:51 PM
About 8 of us went to a Duke v. Wake game in 2001. My buddy had a hooded jacket that he put over his chair. When we left, he had the misfortune of realizing that the people behind us had been using his hood as a spittoon all night. Not cool, man.

Dukehky
02-27-2014, 04:52 PM
I've been to both football and basketball games at Wake in full Duke gear. Always given a hearty welcome at the gate and never any problems with the fans.

Agreed with the nice part.

They are not cool though. They started that stupid techno song that everybody and their mother bounces along to all over the country and wear those silly tie dye shirts. Wake the Nation Indeed! Ba humbug

brevity
02-27-2014, 05:04 PM
Wake fans are more concerned about firing Bzrzrkrds (or whatever his name is) than the opposing team.

Yes, let's make fun of the ACC coach with all those consonants in his last name.

OldPhiKap
02-27-2014, 05:17 PM
Yes, let's make fun of the ACC coach with all those consonants in his last name.

You have a point there. But I didn't want to look up how to spell it, and they don't call him Coach B.

wilson
02-27-2014, 05:24 PM
Yes, let's make fun of the ACC coach with all those consonants in his last name.I am currently ineligible to spork you (could probably swing eligibility in chapel hill though), but this is outstanding.

Tripping William
02-27-2014, 06:01 PM
They don't refer to Wake as "Switzerland" for nothing. And there will be a sizeable Duke contingent in attendance .... including me.

hurleyfor3
02-27-2014, 06:10 PM
They are not cool though. They started that stupid techno song that everybody and their mother bounces along to all over the country and wear those silly tie dye shirts. Wake the Nation Indeed! Ba humbug

They probably think it's called "Zombie Nation", too. Its actual title is "Kernkraft 400".

DukeDevil
02-27-2014, 06:12 PM

This resulted in an actual snort.

As a Duke and Wake fan (Duke first, wake second) I can tell you they'll be just fine. The only time I had a negative reaction when when we scored tickets and 4 of us went painted with DUKE, some dude dumped a coke on us when we were up by some ridiculous score. To be fair...I can't say that we were being the best sports (no cursing, just that we probably were being TOO vocal about spanking them) and I think the person that gave us tickets had us in a student section. Security ended up moving us behind the Duke bench, so it ended up as a win. Other than that incident it's always been fun, everyone there appreciates good ball.

Also, F (ire) Bzdelik. I've had a bad taste in my mouth for him for years, and it started after a bad game where he came out and blasted his team for not doing what he drew up. I just felt like it was so classless. Even if it's the case that they didn't do anything you wanted, why hang them out there with the media like that?

ncexnyc
02-27-2014, 06:18 PM
The family and I attended the game at LVJ two years ago and I did a write-up about our visit. Bottom line, it's a very nice facility, the staff was super friendly, and we had a great time.

BlueDevilBrowns
02-27-2014, 07:12 PM
They don't refer to Wake as "Switzerland" for nothing. And there will be a sizeable Duke contingent in attendance .... including me.

Cool. My tickets are in section 123, row B.

Thanks to everyone for the response and advice!

-jk
02-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Wake fans? Mostly Harmless...

Been there a bunch of times. Never anything even close to a problem.

-jk

RPS
02-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Wake fans? Mostly Harmless....

The Joel is a fine place to watch a game. You should also be fine as a Duke fan. My wife and our daughter are both Wake alums -- I get much more grief from them than you're likely to get at the game. Have fun!

Cameron
02-27-2014, 08:18 PM
About 8 of us went to a Duke v. Wake game in 2001. My buddy had a hooded jacket that he put over his chair. When we left, he had the misfortune of realizing that the people behind us had been using his hood as a spittoon all night. Not cool, man.

Talk about having the last laugh.

Duhon ... hits it at the buzzer. Duke wins again. My oh my!

My all-time favorite call from Dick Enberg. I must have played back the videotape of that final play 50 times that afternoon. Good times.

roywhite
02-27-2014, 08:22 PM
The Joel is a fine place to watch a game. You should also be fine as a Duke fan. My wife and our daughter are both Wake alums -- I get much more grief from them than you're likely to get at the game. Have fun!

If I recall, Rodney Childress threw his wad of chewing gum high in the air after a win at Cameron.

Apparently, such a thing was no particular problem at the Joel -- very low chance of hitting a championship banner.

BlueDevilBrowns
02-27-2014, 09:10 PM
If I recall, Rodney Childress threw his wad of chewing gum high in the air after a win at Cameron.

Apparently, such a thing was no particular problem at the Joel -- very low chance of hitting a championship banner.

Perhaps they can have the weavers over at Old Salem stitch up and hang a Championship Quilt for their landmark undefeated season of 1907 when they went a whopping 4-0.

But, then again, who would take a fantasy championship from over 75 years ago seriously, let alone hang it up in their rafters?

DU82
02-27-2014, 10:13 PM

Actually threw the basketball into the stands.

Wake fans: fairly rude, mostly harmless.

throatybeard
02-27-2014, 10:18 PM
Who is Rodney Childress?

Did he play against Grant Lang?

roywhite
02-27-2014, 10:25 PM

Who is Rodney Childress?

Well, other than his name and what he threw, I got the gist of the story. :o

OldPhiKap
02-27-2014, 10:28 PM
Well, other than his name and what he threw, I got the gist of the story. :o

Colonel Mustard, in the Study, with a candlestick.

throatybeard
02-27-2014, 10:33 PM
To answer the OP, Wake Forest fans are basically harmless. They're not even 10% as nasty and aggressive as UNC fans. They know they don't have the numbers, so like us, they have to behave civilized, mostly. They do have a bit of the NC State "we don't get no respect" chip on their shoulders, but that's well earned because Duke and Carolina disrespect them.

Two of the guys in Duke grad/prof school I have the most respect in the world for were WFU ugrads.

Matches
02-28-2014, 08:41 AM

I was at that game. The way I remember it, he pegged an old lady. It wasn't malicious, though - he'd just nailed a game-winning shot and got exuberant/ carried away.

Wake fans are cool, though. I was at the game in Joel in 2009 when they beat us to take over #1, and the atmosphere was great. Yea they're kind of dorky but then again so are we.

And as far as next week goes, I expect a not-insignificant number of the Wake fans will actually be rooting for Duke so Bzzz departs more quickly.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-28-2014, 09:39 AM
They probably think it's called "Zombie Nation", too. Its actual title is "Kernkraft 400".

Wake fans love their German techno!

Reading this and hearing UNC blasting House of Pain's "Jump Around" the other day makes me think Duke actually is on the cooler/hipper side of stadium music. I'm not sure Will.i.am is the coolest, but at least it's from this decade. Music in Cameron is MUCH better than most college stadiums that I know of.

happydays1949
02-28-2014, 09:57 AM

I guess my memory is fading....I thought he threw his gum in the air as he was leaving. Whatever he did, he always played great against Duke!

killerleft
02-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Who is Rodney Childress?

Everybody knows he meant Randolph Scott,... Randolph Scott

OldPhiKap
02-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Everybody knows he meant Randolph Scott,... Randolph Scott

"Can't you see that's the last act of a desparate man?"

"I don't care if it's the first act of Henry V. We're leaving."

bbq-devil
02-28-2014, 12:30 PM
I scored free tickets at work to the Duke vs. Wake game next week at LJVM(first time going to a game at WF) and was wondering how the atmosphere was for visiting fans?

My general impression was Wake fans(the few I've run into) are usually pretty chill but thought I'd ask the opinion of those that have been to games there before.

I'm not an obnoxious fan(at least in person) and generally get along with everyone, but wanted to make sure if I wear my Duke Gear I wasn't walking into a "Maryland situation".

Thoughts?

I have gone three years in a row and will be there next Wednesday. Last year there were more Duke fans @ LJVM than Wake fans. I think it will be the same this year with Wake's recent woes. I wear full Duke gear every year and have not had any issues.

Now I went to the Snooze Dome last year and wore Duke and got a lot of non-good natured ribbing all night -- At least till Seth buried the holes in the first 5 minutes. Then all went strangely silent. :cool::cool::cool:

Indoor66
02-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Now I went to the Snooze Dome last year and wore Duke and got a lot of non-good natured ribbing all night -- At least till Seth buried the holes in the first 5 minutes. Then all went strangely silent. :cool::cool::cool:

Actually, it reverted to its normal silence.

ncexnyc
02-28-2014, 07:09 PM
I have gone three years in a row and will be there next Wednesday. Last year there were more Duke fans @ LJVM than Wake fans. I think it will be the same this year with Wake's recent woes. I wear full Duke gear every year and have not had any issues.

I wouldn't doubt that there will be a very large group of Duke fans at the game. I had a gentleman from their sales office call me asking if I was interested in tickets. As much as I'd love to go, it's a long 3 hr drive from Fayetteville and it's a school night as well.

DBFAN
02-28-2014, 09:35 PM
I live in Winston and can tell you Duke fans come to LJVM about as well as they do when Duke plays in Greensboro. So you will be in good company. Wake fans can be a little obnoxious they have a tendency to see Duke as an elitist school, I guess because 40,000 dollars a year there doesn't make them that way..smh. But generally harmless, but to be honest we hardly ever lose to them so I don't know how they behave after they win....