PDA

View Full Version : MBB: UNC-CH 85, NC State 84 (OT)

JasonEvans
02-26-2014, 10:10 PM
Wow... what a final few seconds!

-jk
02-26-2014, 10:11 PM
Damn you!

-jk

Ichabod Drain
02-26-2014, 10:12 PM
Wow... what a final few seconds!

Warren is ridiculous.

JasonEvans
02-26-2014, 10:12 PM
TJ Warren and Marcus Paige are really, really good.

I thought the refs really jobbed Carolina with the no-call on Warren's shot, but they made up for it with the foul on the inbounds play allowing Warren to tie the game.

-Jason "OT, here we come!" Evans

FerryFor50
02-26-2014, 10:15 PM
TJ Warren and Marcus Paige are really, really good.

I thought the refs really jobbed Carolina with the no-call on Warren's shot, but they made up for it with the foul on the inbounds play allowing Warren to tie the game.

-Jason "OT, here we come!" Evans

I thought State was getting jobbed most of the 2nd half. UNC got to the line a LOT more than State.

The last 10 seconds was a series of makeup calls.

moonpie23
02-26-2014, 10:18 PM
PNC is rocking.......3:03 left........come on, state.....close escrow!!!

-jk
02-26-2014, 10:18 PM
So how does state lose?

-jk

-jk
02-26-2014, 10:19 PM
So how does state lose?

-jk

Paige...

Lunchab1es
State coming up huge in OT right now. Up 6, McDonald out.

JasonEvans
Damn you!

-jk

Even my curse cannot affect TJ Warren's excellence right now.

-jk

What've you got for Paige?

DukeDiva
02-26-2014, 10:20 PM
Roy has some fire in him tonight.

Duvall

Pretty obvious attempt to save your Heels, Evans.

JasonEvans
I say sit everyone else down and just let Warren and Paige battle it out. I mean, that's what both teams are doing anyway.

FerryFor50
Roy has some fire in him tonight.

Because no one should lose to this State team...

FerryFor50
02-26-2014, 10:22 PM
I say sit everyone else down and just let Warren and Paige battle it out. I mean, that's what both teams are doing anyway.

You are greatly discounting the efforts of Vandenburg and Washington. They have played very well... Did you see the Vandenburg follow dunk?! Yeesh!

-jk
02-26-2014, 10:23 PM
Damn Paige!

Utley
Incredible game - Warren and Paige both ridiculous. Big 3 by Turner. UNC is Freddie.

FerryFor50
Tyler Lewis is pretty mediocre though...

JasonEvans
02-26-2014, 10:24 PM
You are greatly discounting the efforts of Vandenburg and Washington. They have played very well... Did you see the Vandenburg follow dunk?! Yeesh!

I most certainly did see the dunk. To do it after blocking two shots at the other end... wow!

But what Paige and Warren are doing is about the finest offensive battle I have seen in the ACC in a long, long time.

moonpie23
wow......these two guys are gunslingers.......

awesome.......come on STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

FerryFor50
I most certainly did see the dunk. To do it after blocking two shots at the other end... wow!

But what Paige and Warren are doing is about the finest offensive battle I have seen in the ACC in a long, long time.

Agreed. This is expected from Warren. Not Paige...

Lunchab1es
02-26-2014, 10:28 PM
If there is one thing the wolfpack hates, it is end of game inbounds plays.

FerryFor50
02-26-2014, 10:29 PM
Too bad you can't review fouls. McAdoo still has one of Warren's arms...

-jk
02-26-2014, 10:29 PM
Or Jason Evans - the ultimate Heel!

JasonEvans
02-26-2014, 10:30 PM
No fouls there? You cannot be serious

moonpie23
How about the freaking foul???????

PSurprise
Give the ball to state after that awful no call!

jipops
Ohhhh state :(

FerryFor50
No fouls there? You cannot be serious

Don't worry. They will call one on State here

FerryFor50
02-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Oh snap! State got a call!!

JasonEvans
02-26-2014, 10:33 PM
My bad for starting the thread...

Paige layup. You just cannot let that happen.

What a truly State way to lose.

Troublemaker
Paige is a ridiculous stud.

Utley
Outcome felt so inevitable

FerryFor50
02-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Well they really NC State-d that game.

Ichabod Drain
How does no one get in front of Paige there.... wow

That's just State being State

KandG
You just knew the whole OT that State would find a way to blow the game. Those 3 missed FTs at the end (2 by Warren) came back to bite them hugely.

jipops
Marcus Paige - ACC POY? That was an incredible performance.

FerryFor50
02-26-2014, 10:35 PM

Heck no. TJ Warren is POY. He has games like this every game. Paige rarely has games like this.

PSurprise
02-26-2014, 10:35 PM
Of course unc got the ball back, they never touched the ball, just Mauled Warren.

Duvall
02-26-2014, 10:36 PM

Possibly. He won't deserve it, not remotely, but this is the ACC after all.

UrinalCake
02-26-2014, 10:37 PM
Disappointing end, I thought State was going to pull it out. Not quite sure why you don't quintuple-team Paige at the end there.

jipops
02-26-2014, 10:37 PM
Heck no. TJ Warren is POY. He has games like this every game. Paige rarely has games like this.

Paige has put the heels on his back and unlike State they win games.

FerryFor50
02-26-2014, 10:38 PM
Paige has put the heels on his back and unlike State they win games.

Paige has teammates that don't stink.

BlueDevilBrowns
02-26-2014, 10:39 PM
On a brighter note, looks like UNC picked up Syracuse's lucky horse shoe, which means when they come to Cameron, they'll be due.

duke4life32182
02-26-2014, 10:39 PM
How do they not call a foul on that trap. Wrap your arms around the ball handlers arms and you get credited with a turnover. Refs must have taken bogus classes at UNC.

sporthenry
02-26-2014, 10:40 PM
How do they not call a foul on that trap. Wrap your arms around the ball handlers arms and you get credited with a turnover. Refs must have taken bogus classes at UNC.

To be fair, Warren traveled at least once, and maybe twice. Although the second one, you could argue he was getting fouled in the process.

But even then, you can't inbound into a trap (when Tyler Lewis was wide open on the other side) and then dribble to beat it. That is a recipe for disaster and most refs usually let more go in a trap than traditionally.

PackMan97
02-26-2014, 10:41 PM

If you wear blue they call it. The game is rigged. If this game of regulation or the end of the Syracuse game don't convince you of that, I don't know what will.

We simply don't spend enough on bribes to the refs. That's the only thing I can think of.

BlueDevilBrowns
02-26-2014, 10:42 PM
Paige has teammates that don't stink.

Yep, Warren is a lonely man on Talent Island in Raleigh.

Bad PG's, below average Wings, and an OK C won't get you far.

FerryFor50
02-26-2014, 10:42 PM
If you wear blue they call it. The game is rigged. If this game of regulation or the end of the Syracuse game don't convince you of that, I don't know what will.

We simply don't spend enough on bribes to the refs. That's the only thing I can think of.

To be fair, you guys got some calls at the end. Gotta knock down the FTs though...

You also need to camp Vandenburg out at the rim on that final play.

rsvman
02-26-2014, 10:43 PM
My son was busy so he asked me to text him the result of the game. I sent him a text that said, "bad guys 85, dumb guys 84."
After about 30 seconds I get a text back from him that says, "wait...UNC is bad and dumb. "

I love my kid.

duke4life32182
02-26-2014, 10:44 PM
I watch a lot of college basketball and it is amazing how some plays are called fouls and some not. Its though sometimes the refs anticipate a foul and sometimes they are blinded to fouls. With that said, missed free throws down the stretch equals disaster.

kshepinthehouse
02-26-2014, 10:45 PM
I'm sick!!! Only Gottfried could lose a game like that!

sporthenry
02-26-2014, 10:45 PM
To be fair, you guys got some calls at the end. Gotta knock down the FTs though...

You also need to camp Vandenburg out at the rim on that final play.

Yeah, 3 missed FT's in OT. And 1 point lead with 7 seconds left. You let the other team's best player drive the length of the court and get a lay up. At least double him and make JMM or someone hit a layup.

FerryFor50
02-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Yeah, 3 missed FT's in OT. And 1 point lead with 7 seconds left. You let the other team's best player drive the length of the court and get a lay up. At least double him and make JMM or someone hit a layup.

No idea why they hedged Vandenburg at the end. He's a tall, slow shot blocking machine.

He wasn't going to recover from the hedge in time to come bother the shot. They left their best I'm protector on the perimeter while Paige got an open layup.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-26-2014, 10:48 PM

Sorry man, but that's just lame.

There were plenty of questionable calls to go around for both teams. Winning teams play through them.

It was a fun game to watch, and I'd have said that if the Heels had lost.

Great game by Warren, awesome touch and feel to score.

Gritty game by Paige. No question now if he's 1st team all ACC.

UNC deserved to lose after those stupid fouls and the bad foul shooting.

And another fine coaching effort by Roy to cover for his player's making mental mistakes.

Hope they get out of town fast....

msdukie
02-26-2014, 10:50 PM
Why waste 150 minutes of your time watching a guaranteed horrible outcome?

BlueDevilBrowns
02-26-2014, 10:52 PM
I'm sick!!! Only Gottfried could lose a game like that!

My favorite move was at the end of regulation when Gottfried had Lewis, all 5'8" of him, inbound the ball with a guy a foot taller on him.

Fortunately for State, they were bailed out with a foul call.

FerryFor50
02-26-2014, 10:53 PM
My favorite move was at the end of regulation when Gottfried had Lewis, all 5'8" of him, inbound the ball with a guy a foot taller on him.

Fortunately for State, they were bailed out with a foul call.

Or when he left Lewis in at all at the end when he had a lightening quick PG on the bench.

kshepinthehouse
02-26-2014, 10:55 PM
Am I the only one that knew that Marcus Paige was going to get the ball at the end? How does he get a layup? Make someone else best you! The whole team should have been aware of where he was at all time but yet he got open three after open three and wins the game with a wide open layup. Unbelievable!

CameronBlue
02-26-2014, 10:55 PM

Okay so you're bitter, understandable. Complaining about the refs is a pointless exercise....but for my one and only time...Warren was royally hacked at the end of regulation, good lord. Duke fans complain about the Hood no-call @ Syracuse but at least the defender got the ball initially. The no-call on Warren was even more blatant with no on-the-ball contact.

That stated State's offense was just awful and Tyler Lewis couldn't make a church league all-star team.

kshepinthehouse
02-26-2014, 10:56 PM
Or when he left Lewis in at all at the end when he had a lightening quick PG on the bench.

He exactly. They had less than four seconds in regulation to take it the length of the court. At the time I was thinking Cat Barber should be in the game.

Olympic Fan
02-26-2014, 10:57 PM
Wow, that was an incredible game -- awesome performances by Warren and Paige.

Having said that, if I was Debbie Yow, I would start looking for another conference. I've never been a conspiracy guy -- and logically it would have been better for the ACC if State were to win (to give them a chance to be the ACC's 6th NCAA team) ... but the succession of close -- or downright wrong -- calls that they have to endure is unbelievable.

Go back to the end of the Syracuse game and the late foul on Warren who was on a breakaway ...

I'm still looking for the contact on the fourth foul on Warren -- a foul that made him sit with eight minutes left and the Pack up four.

At the end of regulation tonight, tie score, Warren driving with under five seconds left ... he's hammered (similar to the Rodney Hood no call at Syracuse -- only more contact on this occasion) ... no call, but on the loose ball TLewis is called for a foul going for a loose ball (13 years ago, Hank Nichols told me that contact in a scramble for a loose ball is NOT a foul).

Then in overtime, State is up two and Warren is mugged by McAdoo -- who is holding both his arms as the ball bounces off Warren's shoulder out of bounds ... no call.

Okay, I understand that State contributed to both losses -- the turnovers in the last 40 seconds by Lee and Barber at Syracuse were ridiculous and State killed itself tonight in OT with missed free throws and by letting Paige go the length of the court without stopping the ball. A good team would have overcome the tough officiating ... a team like State just isn't good enough when the whistles aren't even.

This has been going on for years -- go back to the ACC vault and watch the 2012 ACC semifinal game between State and UNC. Recall Karl Hess ejecting Chris Corchiani and Tom Gugliotta from the stands two years ago (I know an FSU guy at the scorer's table that day and he heard nothing obscene or outrageous from behind him).

I'm not a State fan, but I am an UNC-cheat hater, so I understand that I am biased. And I know what bias can do -- if you check the game threats at IC (as I did), they are convinced that THEY were getting screwed by the refs. And we just saw how Jim Boeheim, who gets almost every close call in clutch situations, freaked out the one time the refs didn't call it his way.

I know that bias can shape our perception -- that's why I've always made fun of the NC State officiating paranoia. But tonight's game had me thinking of Henry Kissinger's famous line: Even paranoids have enemies.

FerryFor50
02-26-2014, 10:58 PM
Am I the only one that knew that Marcus Paige was going to get the ball at the end? How does he get a layup? Make someone else best you! The whole team should have been aware of where he was at all time but yet he got open three after open three and wins the game with a wide open layup. Unbelievable!

No kidding.

#1: they applied no pressure on the inbounds.
#2: they didn't even TRY to deny the ball from the guy who had already scored 35 on them
#3: they hedged their shot blocking 7 footer rather than forcing a contested jumper
#4: no one stepped up on D on the lay up
#5: FOUL HIM HARD. Make him earn it from the line.

BlueDevilBrowns
02-26-2014, 10:58 PM

Yes. I wonder if Lewis is Gottfried's "Tyler Thornton"?

Except, of course, our Tyler Thornton is actually good.

FerryFor50
02-26-2014, 10:59 PM
Okay so you're bitter, understandable. Complaining about the refs is a pointless exercise....but for my one and only time...Warren was royally hacked at the end of regulation, good lord. Duke fans complain about the Hood no-call @ Syracuse but at least the defender got the ball initially. The no-call on Warren was even more blatant with no on-the-ball contact.

That stated State's offense was just awful and Tyler Lewis couldn't make a church league all-star team.

You mean arm is not part of the ball?

FerryFor50
02-26-2014, 11:01 PM
Yes. I wonder if Lewis is Gottfried's "Tyler Thornton"?

Except, of course, our Tyler Thornton is actually good.

He just trusts Lewis not to turn it over. Barber turns the ball over, but actually has talent.

Duvall
02-26-2014, 11:02 PM
That stated State's offense was just awful...

You mean defense, right?

FerryFor50
02-26-2014, 11:02 PM
Wow, that was an incredible game -- awesome performances by Warren and Paige.

Having said that, if I was Debbie Yow, I would start looking for another conference. I've never been a conspiracy guy -- and logically it would have been better for the ACC if State were to win (to give them a chance to be the ACC's 6th NCAA team) ... but the succession of close -- or downright wrong -- calls that they have to endure is unbelievable.

Go back to the end of the Syracuse game and the late foul on Warren who was on a breakaway ...

I'm still looking for the contact on the fourth foul on Warren -- a foul that made him sit with eight minutes left and the Pack up four.

At the end of regulation tonight, tie score, Warren driving with under five seconds left ... he's hammered (similar to the Rodney Hood no call at Syracuse -- only more contact on this occasion) ... no call, but on the loose ball TLewis is called for a foul going for a loose ball (13 years ago, Hank Nichols told me that contact in a scramble for a loose ball is NOT a foul).

Then in overtime, State is up two and Warren is mugged by McAdoo -- who is holding both his arms as the ball bounces off Warren's shoulder out of bounds ... no call.

Okay, I understand that State contributed to both losses -- the turnovers in the last 40 seconds by Lee and Barber at Syracuse were ridiculous and State killed itself tonight in OT with missed free throws and by letting Paige go the length of the court without stopping the ball. A good team would have overcome the tough officiating ... a team like State just isn't good enough when the whistles aren't even.

This has been going on for years -- go back to the ACC vault and watch the 2012 ACC semifinal game between State and UNC. Recall Karl Hess ejecting Chris Corchiani and Tom Gugliotta from the stands two years ago (I know an FSU guy at the scorer's table that day and he heard nothing obscene or outrageous from behind him).

I'm not a State fan, but I am an UNC-cheat hater, so I understand that I am biased. And I know what bias can do -- if you check the game threats at IC (as I did), they are convinced that THEY were getting screwed by the refs. And we just saw how Jim Boeheim, who gets almost every close call in clutch situations, freaked out the one time the refs didn't call it his way.

I know that bias can shape our perception -- that's why I've always made fun of the NC State officiating paranoia. But tonight's game had me thinking of Henry Kissinger's famous line: Even paranoids have enemies.

Totally agree with this. But this game, State actually got some make up calls. Color me shocked...

TJ Warren is too good to get tarted like that by the officials, though...

Duke79UNLV77
02-26-2014, 11:03 PM
I just saw the highlights on ESPN and they didn't even show or mention the horrible no-call that should have had Warren going to the line for 2 shots for a chance to put State up 4. But, they are still talking about the call at the end of the Duke-Cuse game.

Why is it only Defcon 3 national news when a call goes in our favor?

kshepinthehouse
I just saw the highlights on ESPN and they didn't even show or mention the horrible no-call that should have had Warren going to the line for 2 shots for a chance to put State up 4. But, they are still talking about the call at the end of the Duke-Cuse game.

Read the ESPN bias thread lol

Duvall
He just trusts Lewis not to turn it over. Barber turns the ball over, but actually has talent.

I mean, State did score 84 points tonight, which is a point in favor of the player running the offense.

FerryFor50
02-26-2014, 11:07 PM
I mean, State did score 84 points tonight, which is a point in favor of the player running the offense.

No, that had more to do with TJ Warren.

Lewis in the half court is pretty awful. No quickness, no height to get off his own shot. He was decent in transition, but still... If State has better PG play, they are a NCAA tourny team for sure.

91_92_01_10_15
02-26-2014, 11:08 PM

Good question. My concern about this is how it affects the minds of the officials. If you know you are likely to be scrutinized if you make an important call in Duke's favor, or if Len Elmore is the announcer, any call ;), how does that affect your behavior and judgement?

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-26-2014, 11:10 PM
Just saw the highlights. That was some pathetic defense on Paige's full court romp.

Did state really leave Paige that wide open all game long?

Furniture
02-26-2014, 11:11 PM
My favourite shot was ole Roy sitting on the floor (sulking) with his back to his players after Macadoo had fouled Warren and Roy thought he had blew it for them.

Duvall
02-26-2014, 11:11 PM
Good question. My concern about this is how it affects the minds of the officials. If you know you are likely to be scrutinized if you make an important call in Duke's favor, or if Len Elmore is the announcer, any call ;), how does that affect your behavior and judgement?

I mean, we saw this in 2004 and 2006. It ends badly for Duke.

FerryFor50
02-26-2014, 11:12 PM
Just saw the highlights. That was some pathetic defense on Paige's full court romp.

Did state really leave Paige that wide open all game long?

Yep. But he got open threes from screeners that may or may not have been moving...

Furniture
02-26-2014, 11:12 PM

Just score more than the other team. No problemo.

PackMan97
02-26-2014, 11:18 PM
No, that had more to do with TJ Warren.

Lewis in the half court is pretty awful. No quickness, no height to get off his own shot. He was decent in transition, but still... If State has better PG play, they are a NCAA tourny team for sure.

Lewis is the best we've got. FYI - Warren's scoring has gone up since Lewis started playing more and/or starting. I'm not saying Warren isn't a great player (he is), but having a pass first PG has helped Warren considerably.

Fun Fact: Warren has had 9 games with 30+ points this season and has yet to win ACC POW.

91_92_01_10_15
02-26-2014, 11:18 PM
Just score more than the other team. No problemo.

I agree that we must prevail despite any adversity, including bad officiating. That must be our players' and coaches' attitude, and I think they do it well.

I still think the mentality of the officials is still an interesting topic for discussion here.

CameronBlue
02-26-2014, 11:24 PM
You mean defense, right?

Yeah well it was hard to tell the difference...THAT bad.

CameronBlue
02-26-2014, 11:29 PM
You mean arm is not part of the ball?

Well if the shooter is dismembered on the play, yeah I can see how things get confusing metaphysically.

#1Duke
02-26-2014, 11:32 PM
That was a great game. Paige and Warren were fantastic.

Warren traveled once maybe twice BEFORE any contact on that out of bounds play.

Refs were not good. Missed an obvious travel by State late in the game. Of all the missed/bad calls, I'll never understand how refs miss an obvious travel.

McDonald made a DUMB foul with 1.5 seconds late in regulation. UNC did everything they could to give the game to State.

FerryFor50
02-26-2014, 11:37 PM
Lewis is the best we've got. FYI - Warren's scoring has gone up since Lewis started playing more and/or starting. I'm not saying Warren isn't a great player (he is), but having a pass first PG has helped Warren considerably.

Fun Fact: Warren has had 9 games with 30+ points this season and has yet to win ACC POW.

I think Barber is better, but you are right - Lewis on the court makes Warren better by default. One less player that shoots...

Warren is definitely underrated. Worse is that you likely lose him to the draft after this year.

UrinalCake
02-26-2014, 11:42 PM
MacAdoo with another stinker - 8 points on 2-8 shooting, 4-9 from the line, the dumb foul at the end that nearly cost them the game, and a foul a couple minutes earlier where he flopped trying to draw a charge. In their three previous games he's scored 21 points total, shooting 8-25 from the floor and 5-9 from the line. Where are all those UNC fans saying he'd played himself back into the lottery?

Duvall
02-26-2014, 11:45 PM
MacAdoo with another stinker - 8 points on 2-8 shooting, 4-9 from the line, the dumb foul at the end that nearly cost them the game, and a foul a couple minutes earlier where he flopped trying to draw a charge. In their three previous games he's scored 21 points total, shooting 8-25 from the floor and 5-9 from the line. Where are all those UNC fans saying he'd played himself back into the lottery?

Hey, that dumb foul won the game for UNC. If Warren gets a shot at the buzzer the Pack probably wins.

Ralph-Wiggum
02-26-2014, 11:51 PM
The idea that the refs are biased or care about one team over the other is ridiculous; even more preposterous is the idea that this is an ACC wide conspiracy which is regularly spouted on certain message boards. Were there bad calls/no calls tonight? Certainly. But it went both ways: Warren was definitely fouled at the end of regulation and on the in-bounds play. But he also traveled near the end of regulation before an important basket (even the announcers mentioned it) and during the in-bounds play before the foul, neither of which were called. And really, if the refs were trying to win the game for UNC, would they have called the two ticky-tack fouls on UNC, the one at the end of regulation that tied the game and the one at the end of OT that put Warren on the line with a chance to win the game? As if the refs could foresee that Warren would miss one FT and then Paige would hit the game winner.

Wander
02-27-2014, 12:05 AM
As much as I wanted to see UNC lose, we do have a funny consolation prize. Since putting up those obnoxious "OUR STATE" billboards last summer, NC State has lost to Duke, UNC, and Wake Forest in both basketball AND football, with a bonus loss to East Carolina in football and NC Central in basketball. They did manage to beat Wake at home in bball (they've played twice), so, congrats?

brevity
02-27-2014, 12:11 AM
Since putting up those obnoxious "OUR STATE" billboards, NC State has lost to Duke, UNC, and Wake Forest in both basketball AND football, with a bonus loss to East Carolina in football and NC Central in basketball.

Yeah, it's not just them. Ever since State Farm put up those billboards that say "Get to a Better State" with former Wake Forest guard Chris Paul, current Wake coach Jeff Bzdelik has, indeed, been keeping an eye on head coaching jobs outside of North Carolina.

DukieInBrasil
02-27-2014, 07:36 AM
Just watched the highlights on ESPN, and wow, State is pathetic. How can you let Paige get to the rim? Foul him, hard on the drive. Well, Warren missing the FT late was a bit of foreshadowing, if he makes it, UNCheaters prob'ly try a 3 which is a more difficult shot, but withe way State was defending Paige on the 3 line, it woulda been like a layup, so maybe it's a wash.
It's a shame, cuz State played hard, but they just didn't make enough winning plays to close it out, twice. They're gonna really be hurting next year b/c Warren is as good as gone and they've got nobody who is remotely close to good enough to pick up his scoring load. Barber has been a disaster this year, but maybe he'll make the So. jump.
Was really hoping State could pull it off, at home, but they just don't have enough solid options to turn to.

oldnavy
02-27-2014, 08:03 AM

That was a foul. I wonder what the media would be saying if Duke were in UNC's place on that call? You could see McAdoo grabbing Warrens left hand and pulling it off the ball. Oh well...

jv001
02-27-2014, 08:18 AM
I watched the entire 2nd half and was amazed by Warren and Paige. They carried their teams through out the game. In the games that I've watched the tarheels play this year, Paige has been pretty quiet in the first half, but explodes in the 2nd half. Last night was no exception. He can really shoot the 3 ball. However, I think the heels got away with setting moving screens for him the entire 2nd half. On his winning drive, Everyone knew he was going to take the last shot. He's the only good consistent offensive player the heels have. How they let him drive all the way to the basket is unbelievable. The State player in the corner hardly moved to stop him. I would have left my man open for a 3 all day to stop Paige. Warren was just as terrific and has been all year (about the only bright spot for State all year). I wish the Wolfpack could get back to being a good ACC team again. At one time, they were right there with Duke and unc. GoDuke!

JasonEvans
02-27-2014, 08:51 AM
I wish the Wolfpack could get back to being a good ACC team again. At one time, they were right there with Duke and unc. GoDuke!

None of the kids currently playing college basketball were even alive in that time. State is not a "player" in the upper tier of college basketball any more. They really haven't been for about 2 decades.

-Jason "FWIW, I think the tough calls by the refs went both ways last night -- though it was tougher on State, because they lost" Evans

TexHawk
02-27-2014, 09:53 AM
My favourite shot was ole Roy sitting on the floor (sulking) with his back to his players after Macadoo had fouled Warren and Roy thought he had blew it for them.

Granted, I only caught the highlights, but how is that not a technical foul? It's on the complete other end of the spectrum from Boeheim, but wow, talk about showing up the officials...

FerryFor50
02-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Granted, I only caught the highlights, but how is that not a technical foul? It's on the complete other end of the spectrum from Boeheim, but wow, talk about showing up the officials...

Welcome to the ACC. ;)

El_Diablo
02-27-2014, 10:10 AM

I think that was more of an "Oh god, my players are absolute morons" pose.

Poor form either way, but I think he was just frustrated with McAdoo (after McDonald made a similar boneheaded foul at the end of regulation).

Highlander
02-27-2014, 10:24 AM
I now officially hate watching State basketball. Deep down I knew once UNC started coming back State would find a way to blow the game. But I watched on thinking "This time. This time might be different!" It reminds me of watching Duke football when Roof was the coach. They play well enough to give you that little sliver of hope that they can win, then Lucy will jerk the football away from Charlie Brown yet again, and you'll wonder aloud why you continue to fall for them. Sigh.
I tend to agree that the officiating was bad, but it didn't cost State the game because it was equally bad for UNC. Consider the breaks State got:

- McDonald fouled out in OT. No one on State fouled out.

- State was down 2 with the length of the floor to go, and UNC gets called for a dead ball holding foul. State forces OT only because of a whistle. Now, it was a foul, but a pretty amazing lifeline for a team that rarely gets one, and a call that typically doesn't get made.

- Warren clearly traveled on his skip step into the lane in OT.

- Warren traveled on the turnover. He also had a timeout to burn. Same thing against Syracuse, with the same result.

- Tie game with under 10s to go, UNC gets whistled AGAIN for a holding foul on a cutter. All State has to do is hit their FT's and they would be up a bucket. Oddly enough, this call they got ended up killing them in true State fashion. It's ironic in that fouling to get the ball back was Valvano's MO, and although intentional, UNC inadvertently took a play right out of their own playbook to beat them.

As bad as UNC was from the line (18-31), State was not much better (19-31). I watched the 2nd half and OT, and State's offense consisted primarily of everyone standing around for 20seconds, then getting the ball to Warren and hoping he could make a shot or allow someone to rebound. They just really looked clueless to me. UNC on the other hand was getting good shots and moving the ball around. Plus State missed several FT's in overtime, and UNC (as is their habit) predictably couldn't miss from the foul line.

I know a lot of State fans, and they always complain about the officials. Always. Last night was no exception. I know there were calls that the refs missed on UNC, but as I've illustrated State got several breaks too. Their lack of any ball handling skills or ability to pass out of a trap has now cost them two winnable games against marquee opponents. Maybe if Gottfried had called a timeout after Warren's make to put State up 1, he could have set them up better. Maybe they could have just fouled McAdoo and taken their chances from the line. Or maybe State could have just hit their FT's and made someone other than Paige beat them.

DukieInBrasil
02-27-2014, 11:48 AM
I now officially hate watching State basketball. Deep down I knew once UNC started coming back State would find a way to blow the game. But I watched on thinking "This time. This time might be different!" It reminds me of watching Duke football when Roof was the coach. They play well enough to give you that little sliver of hope that they can win, then Lucy will jerk the football away from Charlie Brown yet again, and you'll wonder aloud why you continue to fall for them. Sigh.
I tend to agree that the officiating was bad, but it didn't cost State the game because it was equally bad for UNC. Consider the breaks State got:

- McDonald fouled out in OT. No one on State fouled out.

- State was down 2 with the length of the floor to go, and UNC gets called for a dead ball holding foul. State forces OT only because of a whistle. Now, it was a foul, but a pretty amazing lifeline for a team that rarely gets one, and a call that typically doesn't get made.

- Warren clearly traveled on his skip step into the lane in OT.

- Warren traveled on the turnover. He also had a timeout to burn. Same thing against Syracuse, with the same result.

- Tie game with under 10s to go, UNC gets whistled AGAIN for a holding foul on a cutter. All State has to do is hit their FT's and they would be up a bucket. Oddly enough, this call they got ended up killing them in true State fashion. It's ironic in that fouling to get the ball back was Valvano's MO, and although intentional, UNC inadvertently took a play right out of their own playbook to beat them.

As bad as UNC was from the line (18-31), State was not much better (19-31). I watched the 2nd half and OT, and State's offense consisted primarily of everyone standing around for 20seconds, then getting the ball to Warren and hoping he could make a shot or allow someone to rebound. They just really looked clueless to me. UNC on the other hand was getting good shots and moving the ball around. Plus State missed several FT's in overtime, and UNC (as is their habit) predictably couldn't miss from the foul line.

I know a lot of State fans, and they always complain about the officials. Always. Last night was no exception. I know there were calls that the refs missed on UNC, but as I've illustrated State got several breaks too. Their lack of any ball handling skills or ability to pass out of a trap has now cost them two winnable games against marquee opponents. Maybe if Gottfried had called a timeout after Warren's make to put State up 1, he could have set them up better. Maybe they could have just fouled McAdoo and taken their chances from the line. Or maybe State could have just hit their FT's and made someone other than Paige beat them.

I agree with you on this. After watching his team melt down vs. Syracuse, Gottfried needed to be much more involved in the end of game strategery ;-) There is no way that he should have trusted his players to know how to make the right play. Tho' perhaps Gottfried also did not know that either. Either way, yet again, absolutely terrible end-of-game management by the Coach, and the players. State has had a loser's mentality for so long now that they don't know how to make winning plays at the end. They're gonna be in trouble next year when Warren goes pro, they've got NOBODY who can be relied on to score, and their defense is not a strength.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Basketball IQ is something I have worried about all year with this UNC team and the State game was a case study of what not to do to win a close game. There's no excuse for a 5th year senior, (Lmac), or a jr. star player, (McAdoo), to make such boneheaded plays in crunch time.

UNC got lucky and were bailed out by an exceptional effort by a teammate and State's own issues understanding winning situations and how to react to them.

I was fully prepared to see a UNC loss and they deserved to lose it, not because of any ref decision, but because they didn't do what they needed to do. I was considering saying it might have been a good thing to lose that way and teach them a lesson, then I realized Lmac was hopeless and it just wouldn't have mattered, so take the win and run.

On Roy sitting on the floor...I took that as his frustration with McAdoo, not some effort to show up a ref. I didn't see him protest the call.

FerryFor50
02-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Basketball IQ is something I have worried about all year with this UNC team and the State game was a case study of what not to do to win a close game. There's no excuse for a 5th year senior, (Lmac), or a jr. star player, (McAdoo), to make such boneheaded plays in crunch time.

UNC got lucky and were bailed out by an exceptional effort by a teammate and State's own issues understanding winning situations and how to react to them.

I was fully prepared to see a UNC loss and they deserved to lose it, not because of any ref decision, but because they didn't do what they needed to do. I was considering saying it might have been a good thing to lose that way and teach them a lesson, then I realized Lmac was hopeless and it just wouldn't have mattered, so take the win and run.

On Roy sitting on the floor...I took that as his frustration with McAdoo, not some effort to show up a ref. I didn't see him protest the call.

It was still the type of stunt a petulant, spoiled child would pull. ;)

TexHawk
02-27-2014, 12:41 PM

1-- Normal basketball coaches get technicals for far far far less than that. Is an official supposed to look for intent in coaching outbursts? I'd rather them work on that block/charge thingy.
2-- Soooo... Let's say it wasn't in response to the call. Roy showing up his own player is now preferable? Won the game, so I guess so.

Wander
02-27-2014, 12:54 PM
1-- Normal basketball coaches get technicals for far far far less than that.

When? I can't think of a single time I've ever seen a coach get a technical for something that didn't involve yelling/cursing/displaying anger, but of course I could be forgetting things.

BluDvlsN1
02-27-2014, 01:05 PM

F9 carolina F9

Duvall
02-27-2014, 01:46 PM
When? I can't think of a single time I've ever seen a coach get a technical for something that didn't involve yelling/cursing/displaying anger, but of course I could be forgetting things.

I can think of one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7dmAoSBmFo&t=6m56s)

Wirtz!

hurleyfor3
02-27-2014, 01:56 PM

Debatable, But Jim Valvano once got a T for what he was just thinking.

Kedsy
02-27-2014, 02:05 PM
Debatable, But Jim Valvano once got a T for what he was just thinking.

One of my favorite lines.

PackMan97
02-27-2014, 02:18 PM

I'm pretty sure Sendek received a T once for taking off his jacket and putting it on his chair back. Of course, by comparison that was an outburst for him.

Highlander
02-28-2014, 09:09 AM

Dean Smith got a Technical vs. Kansas in the Final Four for asking "How much time do I have left?" while walking a sub to the scorer's table.

That being said, I don't have a problem with Roy's reaction. He was frustrated (either at the refs or the players), but didn't say a word to the officials or gesture towards them in any way. I've seen much worse not get called a Technical, including some outbursts by Coach K. Overall, it was pretty mild and harmless IMO.

oldnavy
02-28-2014, 12:37 PM
I watched the entire 2nd half and was amazed by Warren and Paige. They carried their teams through out the game. In the games that I've watched the tarheels play this year, Paige has been pretty quiet in the first half, but explodes in the 2nd half. Last night was no exception. He can really shoot the 3 ball. However, I think the heels got away with setting moving screens for him the entire 2nd half. On his winning drive, Everyone knew he was going to take the last shot. He's the only good consistent offensive player the heels have. How they let him drive all the way to the basket is unbelievable. The State player in the corner hardly moved to stop him. I would have left my man open for a 3 all day to stop Paige. Warren was just as terrific and has been all year (about the only bright spot for State all year). I wish the Wolfpack could get back to being a good ACC team again. At one time, they were right there with Duke and unc. GoDuke!

I noticed this also, however the State players ran around McAdoo and others who continued to move or jut their hips out.... it would have been a smart basketball play to run through the screen, which perhaps would have been called illegal.... NCSU bailed them out on those.

Roy's sitting on the court didn't surprise nor bother me much, he spends a lot of time on the floor.... literally like laying or kneeling on the floor, so I guess he could have been feeling a little dizzy and just decided to sit down... or if it was in protest, it was pretty tame IMO...

I think he came closer to being T'd up for his getting in the face of the ref in the Duke game, but I guess it is all about how much the ref wants to listen too...

Coach K's only tech that I know of this year happened when he had his back to the ref walking away with his hands up in the surrender gesture.... pretty sure he wasn't calling the ref a "nice fellow", but I don't remember seeing a ref T up a coach that is walking away and not being histrionic about it.... some times it's a cumulative thing.

Olympic Fan
02-28-2014, 12:46 PM
The worst technical (that was not called on Daniel Ewing) I ever saw was against NC State in the semifinals of the 2004 ACC Tournament in Greensboro.

State was leading Maryland by double digits in the second half when there was a TV timeout. It was State's practice -- like a lot of teams -- to take small folding chairs out on the court to get away from the crowd (you see teams do that at Cameron all the time). The team finished the timeout and got the chairs back in place in plenty of time, but there was a manager who remained on the floor, whipping up either sweat or spilled water.

Larry Rose called a technical on State -- that jump-started Maryland's comeback. The Terps beat State, beat Duke in 2 OTs to win the title.

brevity
02-28-2014, 01:25 PM
The worst technical (that was not called on Daniel Ewing) I ever saw was against NC State in the semifinals of the 2004 ACC Tournament in Greensboro.

State was leading Maryland by double digits in the second half when there was a TV timeout. It was State's practice -- like a lot of teams -- to take small folding chairs out on the court to get away from the crowd (you see teams do that at Cameron all the time). The team finished the timeout and got the chairs back in place in plenty of time, but there was a manager who remained on the floor, whipping up either sweat or spilled water.

Larry Rose called a technical on State -- that jump-started Maryland's comeback. The Terps beat State, beat Duke in 2 OTs to win the title.

Good bit of history. That means we can directly blame an NC State manager and Larry Rose for putting Maryland in the final, and indirectly blame them for crying Duke kid (http://lowandawaylacrosse.com/blog/?p=170). Man, that kid set our cause back quite a few years -- we were hurting until crying Carolina teen (http://www.missourinet.com/2013/03/26/nixa-teen-becomes-internet-sensation-for-crying-over-his-unc-tar-heels/) came along. (Also GIF form (http://deadspin.com/crying-shame-kansas-eliminates-north-carolina-458629153).)

hurleyfor3
02-28-2014, 01:28 PM
Dean Smith got a Technical vs. Kansas in the Final Four for asking "How much time do I have left?" while walking a sub to the scorer's table.

Technically (pun intended), he was out of the box.

I was at that 2004 ACC Tournament game. NCSU was up something like 16 early in the second half. Maryland pressed very effectively to come back and State took some horrible shots. Blaming the comeback on a State T is reminiscent of Maryland fans blaming a certain 33-point turnaround on Lonny Baxter getting his fifth foul.

There was also Bobby Knight's T in the 1992 national semifinal, which I've never heard a good explanation for. This was while Duke was in the midst of its second-half comeback and Indiana was shooting horribly. All Knight said was it was something to do with "the bench getting up".