PDA

View Full Version : Coach K and Boeheim on Dan Le Betard's Show at 6:00 PM today

dukelifer
02-26-2014, 05:49 PM
Will be interesting to hear what they have to say about "the play"

dukelifer
02-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Will be interesting to hear what they have to say about "the play"

Lots of kidding back and forth. Le Betard asked Boeheim if K could jump as high as he did after the play- Boeheim said no way- as he does pilates. K said that no way Boeheim does pilates- he must mean eating some italian dish. Boeheim remarked that when he first met K in Durham, K did not know any restaurants in town but Arby's. K said that Beoheim once showed up to coach an exhibition of the USA team against Duke alums in shorts and golf shoes right at tip time. K said that forget about not watching the Duke tape- he could at least try to show up to the games on time. Boeheim said he would not tell any other stories as K would come back with something harder. K said he had no stories because you usually have stories about people who are exciting. The guys are good friends.

brevity
02-26-2014, 06:48 PM
Missed this segment of Dan's show, but I heard a promo for Colin Cowherd's show. Coach K will be his guest tomorrow (Thursday) at 12 noon EST, I think.

luburch
02-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Coach K and Roy will both be on Dan Dakich's radio show on Thursday as well.

wsb3
02-26-2014, 07:26 PM
Boeheim was also on Dan Patrick this morning. He was backpedaling quite a bit from his original outburst. He still thinks it was a block but not quite as sure as he was initially.

He was funny and did say he had a little regret now. Only thing he said that I found self serving is that if they made two free throws the game was over and they hit the first two so he was right. Correct me if I am wrong but Cook stepped to the line knowing he had 4 free throws coming and not two. Little difference in comfort level, and I believe to that point we had not made two consecutive free throws.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-26-2014, 08:37 PM
The back and forth between them was great. Lots of admiration and respect between the two.

Also found it interesting that the two coaches chatted for 20 minutes after the game Saturday night.

roywhite
02-26-2014, 08:52 PM
Boeheim was also on Dan Patrick this morning. He was backpedaling quite a bit from his original outburst. He still thinks it was a block but not quite as sure as he was initially.

He was funny and did say he had a little regret now. Only thing he said that I found self serving is that if they made two free throws the game was over and they hit the first two so he was right. Correct me if I am wrong but Cook stepped to the line knowing he had 4 free throws coming and not two. Little difference in comfort level, and I believe to that point we had not made two consecutive free throws.

Maybe I'm confused, or I'm not sure I understand Boeheim's point.

If the play was called a charge (as it was) but no technical by Boeheim, it's Duke ball with 10 seconds left and a 2-point lead. Certainly a lead, but game not over.

If the play was called a charge with a single technical by Boeheim, it's Duke with a 2-point lead, shooting 2 technical foul shots, and then keeping possession; an even stronger position, but game still not quite over.

Is he saying once he realized he was in the danger zone for a technical, that he decided to go full bore and go for the ejection?

Troublemaker
02-26-2014, 11:32 PM
You can listen to it here: http://podbay.fm/show/301023639/e/1393459860?autostart=1

Let it load, then skip to 35:25

Cameron
02-27-2014, 12:11 AM
Maybe I'm confused, or I'm not sure I understand Boeheim's point.

If the play was called a charge (as it was) but no technical by Boeheim, it's Duke ball with 10 seconds left and a 2-point lead. Certainly a lead, but game not over.

If the play was called a charge with a single technical by Boeheim, it's Duke with a 2-point lead, shooting 2 technical foul shots, and then keeping possession; an even stronger position, but game still not quite over.

Is he saying once he realized he was in the danger zone for a technical, that he decided to go full bore and go for the ejection?

I don't think Boeheim has a point at all. He is simply reversing course with these comments in an effort to devalue the role he played in ensuring his team lost the game.

The reaction to the incident of one of Boeheim's own players, C.J. Fair, says it all: "Maybe if we didn't get the tech we might get the chance to win. What did we lose by, five [actually six]? He made three of four free throws. You do the math."

Presumably, Boeheim saw those comments and ultimately arrived at the realization that his actions, while perhaps not directly resulting in Syracuse not winning the game, certainly cost his team the opportunity to do so. As you state, without any technical fouls, it is only a two-point game with 10 seconds to play. Reggie Miller once erased an eight-point Knicks lead in exactly eight seconds. Obviously, Boeheim is not as good as his players are at math.

It's not all that surprising, however. Boeheim has always been good at creating reasons to explain his team's shortcomings.

UrinalCake
02-27-2014, 01:17 AM
Yeah, Boeheim said in a previous interview that he thought the game was over because they were down 4. Except they weren't, they were only down 2 with Duke in bounding the ball. Syracuse could have stolen the inbounds (as they did against State) or fouled with only a second or two running off the clock. I can't recall if we were still in the one and one, but even if we weren't there's a decent chance we only hit 1 of 2. That gives them 8-ish seconds to hit a Rasheed-style 3.

In yet another interview, Boeheim said he thought there were three seconds left rather than ten. Clearly trying to back-pedal

duke96
02-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Yeah, Boeheim said in a previous interview that he thought the game was over because they were down 4. Except they weren't, they were only down 2 with Duke in bounding the ball. Syracuse could have stolen the inbounds (as they did against State) or fouled with only a second or two running off the clock. I can't recall if we were still in the one and one, but even if we weren't there's a decent chance we only hit 1 of 2. That gives them 8-ish seconds to hit a Rasheed-style 3.

In yet another interview, Boeheim said he thought there were three seconds left rather than ten. Clearly trying to back-pedal

Not like these minor details, like much you are down by, or how much time is left, make much difference right?

All in all, pretty strange behavior.

The Gordog
02-27-2014, 12:19 PM

I think he is assuming they have to foul us as soon as we get the ball inbounds.

Duke79UNLV77
02-27-2014, 12:28 PM
I think he is assuming they have to foul us as soon as we get the ball inbounds.

Sort of like UNC did to Warren last night? Yeah, no way you could still win at that point.