PDA

View Full Version : ACC Tourney - Greensboro Coliseum

rbrowning
02-26-2014, 04:04 PM
I am making my first trip to Greensboro for the ACC tournament this year. I am from Syracuse, but I am a lifelong Duke fan. I ordered my ticket package through a season ticket holder in Syracuse who got me "lower level seats" 2 weeks later the Carrier dome called him back and told him they were sorry, but they had to move my tickets to the upper level (Section 236).

Should I start to look for better seating? Are their bad seats in that stadium? Looking for some opinions from some of the folks that have been to the tournament. Thanks in advance. Go Duke!

OldPhiKap
02-26-2014, 04:28 PM
I am making my first trip to Greensboro for the ACC tournament this year. I am from Syracuse, but I am a lifelong Duke fan. I ordered my ticket package through a season ticket holder in Syracuse who got me "lower level seats" 2 weeks later the Carrier dome called him back and told him they were sorry, but they had to move my tickets to the upper level (Section 236).

Should I start to look for better seating? Are their bad seats in that stadium? Looking for some opinions from some of the folks that have been to the tournament. Thanks in advance. Go Duke!

Greensboro is pretty small, no real bad seats as far as "upper" or "lower." I would be more worried about "corner" versus not (I am sure there is a seating chart available on line).

The ACC tournament is a hell of a lot of fun. I love MSG and the energy of NYC, but one of the great things about the ACC Tourney in Greensboro is that everything focuses on the games. The whole town is about basketball.

dubldvman
02-26-2014, 04:35 PM

I think that the Greensboro Coliseum is a relatively good arena and unless you are in the last 10 rows or so of the Upper Level your seats will be fine. Coliseum is unusual in that 65% of total seating is upper level. Given the Syracuse section-angled end zone location this year-I actually would prefer upper level Section 236 from a visual perspective than lower level end zone below. But everyone has different preferences. Enjoy your first trip to Gboro and perhaps your first ACC Tournament-this will be my 27th straight ACC Tournament! Go Duke!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-26-2014, 05:04 PM
We'll be in section 216, I know other Iron Dukes in 214. I guess that corner is the Duke section.

Native
02-26-2014, 05:10 PM
If you end up deciding you want better seating, a good option is to wait until after the 1st day and try to buy from UNC, Wake, or State fans whose teams lost on the first day and are trying to dump their tickets for cheap. Since you're flying, this is probably not as feasible for you as for someone like me (current Duke student) but it's worth a shot.

dubldvman
02-26-2014, 05:11 PM
We'll be in section 216, I know other Iron Dukes in 214. I guess that corner is the Duke section.

Duke seats are located in Section 110-113 lower level and 213-216 upper level.

Aussiedukie
02-26-2014, 05:26 PM
I am also making my first trip to the ACC tourney, staying at the WaDuke, will I have to drive or do DATA or the University put on special buses? Any advice would be appreciated, it would be nice to have a few beers at the tailgate, but I obviously won't be doing that if I am driving.

brevity
02-26-2014, 07:39 PM
If you end up deciding you want better seating, a good option is to wait until after the 1st day and try to buy from UNC, Wake, or State fans whose teams lost on the first day and are trying to dump their tickets for cheap. Since you're flying, this is probably not as feasible for you as for someone like me (current Duke student) but it's worth a shot.

It's the disappointment discount. The schadenfreude sale. The burst-bubble buyback. The deflated deduction. The elimination exemption...

The resold ticket will look about the same, and the location might be a little more hostile. But it means so much more when that ticket is stained by Tarheel tears.

Furniture
02-26-2014, 07:56 PM

I have sat in 236. It's always a subjective thing and differs from person to person but I think lower level is much better.

DU82
02-26-2014, 08:28 PM
I am also making my first trip to the ACC tourney, staying at the WaDuke, will I have to drive or do DATA or the University put on special buses? Any advice would be appreciated, it would be nice to have a few beers at the tailgate, but I obviously won't be doing that if I am driving.

You're about sixty miles from Greensboro, you're driving. No buses.

(Technically, you can take a TTA bus to UNC hospital to pick up a PART bus, but I don't even want to see the schedule and/or amount of time you'd waste. Plus, I doubt they run at midnight, when the last game lets out.)

duketaylor
02-26-2014, 08:44 PM
That's a hefty commute for the ACC Tourney given traffic woes, etc. Keep in mind that there's great BBQ, slaw, hushpuppies next-door at Stamey's. To enjoy such an event you must visit there.

Here's their website: http://stameys.com/

We used to visit them between sessions on Friday when there was a big break between sessions. I always offered to go get 'Cue, get everyone to fork up a few bucks and I'd stand in line. Gave me a chance to catch my breath and sober up a little;)

Staying in Durham is gonna really be troubling for the commute. I'd reconsider, IMO. Maybe stay East of G'boro by 10-20 miles at the most. I've been to probably 6 ACC Tourneys in G'boro and it's the best venue of all I've been to, seating is very good except high, corner seats, although there should be plenty of good seats available after Thursday losses.

Good luck and have fun!! I miss going, may go in the future.

sagegrouse
02-26-2014, 08:51 PM
That's a hefty commute for the ACC Tourney given traffic woes, etc. Keep in mind that there's great BBQ, slaw, hushpuppies next-door at Stamey's. To enjoy such an event you must visit there.

Here's their website: http://stameys.com/

We used to visit them between sessions on Friday when there was a big break between sessions. I always offered to go get 'Cue, get everyone to fork up a few bucks and I'd stand in line. Gave me a chance to catch my breath and sober up a little;)

Staying in Durham is gonna really be troubling for the commute. I'd reconsider, IMO. Maybe stay East of G'boro by 10-20 miles at the most. I've been to probably 6 ACC Tourneys in G'boro and it's the best venue of all I've been to, seating is very good except high, corner seats, although there should be plenty of good seats available after Thursday losses.

Good luck and have fun!! I miss going, may go in the future.

I have done it, including the Wash Duke part, and it isn't too bad. Thursday would be the question mark, as I last did it in 2003, when there games only for three days. You go all-day Friday and Friday night. Late morning until early evening on Saturday for the semis. Midday until 4 PM or so on Sunday. I then left from Greensboro for DC.

NovaScotian
02-26-2014, 09:09 PM

is this only an option in person, or will checking stubhub after the first few games work too?

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-26-2014, 09:21 PM
is this only an option in person, or will checking stubhub after the first few games work too?

This is in person... buying from disappointed people as they exit the coliseum, deflated and headed home.

-jk
02-26-2014, 09:42 PM
I heard from a friend that a "book" of tickets doesn't include Wednesday. I find that rather odd.

Anyone else seen a book yet, and can confirm or deny? If Wed tix are not part of the book, who gets them? (The Les Robinson Invitational tix used to go to high school kids...)

-jk

DU82
02-26-2014, 09:48 PM
I heard from a friend that a "book" of tickets doesn't include Wednesday. I find that rather odd.

Anyone else seen a book yet, and can confirm or deny? If Wed tix are not part of the book, who gets them? (The Les Robinson Invitational tix used to go to high school kids...)

-jk

They were advertising them during the ACC network game (Wolves vs. Sheep). I believe they're GA tickets. Well, searching reveals the following:

Tickets are $35 each and include all three Wednesday games and Scotty McCreery concert. Seating is general admission.

-jk
02-26-2014, 09:56 PM
<sigh>. What has the ACC become?

-jk

msdukie
02-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Here is the seating chart:

http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-baskbl/2014_acctourney_seatingchart.pdf

Wednesday is separate from the rest of the book (since they know no one from the other schools will go Wednesday). I go every year and will show up Thursday morning (likely without tickets) and will scalp. I stay in Durham for superstitious reasons. Other than going to Stamey's, which will be packed, there is not much to do in the area around gamedays. Make sure you check out the ACC Hall of Fame, which is attached to the Coliseum Complex and opened in 2011. There is also University Day (now BACCourt) (which you can buy through Duke - www.GoDuke.com/tickets) on Friday and the Legends Brunch on Saturday:

http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-baskbl/2014_m-baskbl_legends-tix.pdf

Here is the overall ACCT page.

http://www.theacc.com/#!/page/championship_m-baskbl

PrimeSport is the ACC's official ticket reseller, but the tickets are $$$$$

BlueTeuf
02-26-2014, 10:52 PM
Section 214 - ordered through Iron Dukes. BTW - also coming from Syracuse area. As noted, packet doesn't include Wednesday games. Staying at Marriot in G'boro.

DownEastDevil
02-26-2014, 11:34 PM
Got mine today thru Iron Dukes in section 214. I'm taking my 9 year old grandson to his first tournament and unfortunately I ended up with the worst tickets I ever had about 20 rows up in the upper deck, but at least I'm in the Duke section. I usually sell my Thursday tickets because I can't make it until Friday. Sure was glad to see Clemson lose last night and Duke clinch a top 4 spot.

BlueTeuf
02-27-2014, 07:07 AM
Welcome to Row X!

kshepinthehouse
02-27-2014, 11:46 AM
How much is a book this year?

-bdbd
02-27-2014, 12:33 PM
The full tournament book (not counting Wed.) is $297 per seat.

GoDuke ticket site:
http://www.goduke.com/tickets/

https://tkt.xosn.com//tickets/TicketHome.dbml

hurleyfor3
02-27-2014, 01:00 PM
$297 ($27 per game/$54 per session) is way down from recent years. I want to say it's been $363 recently, and maybe higher in the last couple of years.

I've long felt expansion has served to LOWER demand in both the primary (people buying directly from schools) and secondary (scalping) markets for a couple of reasons. First off, primary buyers are forced to buy the crappy Thursday tickets at full face when their street value is around $5-10 per session. Secondly, none of the new fanbases care about basketball as much as the "ACC-8" fanbases collectively did. More specifically, it's a bigger financial and emotional commitment for a Pitt or ND fan to plan several days at a tournament than for an ACC-8 fan to make the hour or two drive and go back home at the end of the day. Then the games are bound to have a lesser concentration of local fans, which lowers prices sellers (scalpers) can charge. I doubt we'll ever see another Saturday where even three, much less all four, of the Big Four is playing.

Anyway, I wouldn't personally sit anywhere above the aisle in the upper deck in Greensboro, which I think is behind row E, unless the tickets were free or virtually so. But I'm a ticket snob.

Stray Gator
02-27-2014, 01:08 PM
The full tournament book (not counting Wed.) is $297 per seat.

GoDuke ticket site:
http://www.goduke.com/tickets/

https://tkt.xosn.com//tickets/TicketHome.dbml

The ticket books for downstairs seats are $396 each. I'm pleasantly surprised by the fact that the ACC didn't require the purchase of Wednesday session tickets as part of the package, too; but even for those who attend every year, there's a limit to how much more people will pay for a full ticket book -- particularly when two of the schools whose fans are among those that customarily purchase the largest number of ticket books don't often use the Thursday session tickets anyway.

hurleyfor3
02-27-2014, 01:21 PM
The ticket books for downstairs seats are $396 each.

OK, that's less surprising and is similar to the price in recent years ($36/game and $72/session). The ACC has bifurcated the price when it's been in the Georgia Dome, but I don't recall it splitting the price in a smaller arena. Upper-deck seats in Greensboro have definitely had a higher face in recent years.

The first few rows of the upper deck in Greensboro are closer than in other arenas, but the seats seem to get bad in a hurry.

throatybeard
02-27-2014, 01:23 PM
I doubt we'll ever see another Saturday where even three, much less all four, of the Big Four is playing.

Does that have more to do with expansion, or more to do with Wake Forest and NC State frequently being lousy?

hurleyfor3
02-27-2014, 01:39 PM
Does that have more to do with expansion, or more to do with Wake Forest and NC State frequently being lousy?

Yes.

But it means we and unc will be playing incrementally more games on Thursday, which means having to win two games just to get to Saturday. And those games will quite often be against high seeds who are having good years. And it's easier for a "lousy" team to be in the last four among eight than in the last four among 16. And so on.

Virginia Tech had the potential to turn tournament ticket demand into a Big Five, but the school and its fanbase has not really given a crap.

Aussiedukie
02-27-2014, 03:31 PM
Thank you for all of the advice guys, it is much appreciated!

hurleyfor3
02-27-2014, 03:36 PM

StubHub won't work for a few reasons. Most importantly, all tickets are "hard" tickets and have to be shipped to the buyer. Not really feasible for an event held over consecutive days.

I'm seeing Friday tickets below face on StubHub already. Never seen anything like that before, especially a couple weeks before the tournament starts. That should tell you something about the market.

summerwind03
02-27-2014, 05:11 PM
If you're planning on going to the entire tournament, regardless of who wins, then it might make sense to buy the book. Otherwise, I'd just go and buy tickets outside. All the seats are fine, but I do agree that the upper level seats feel really "high" in Greensboro.

brevity
02-27-2014, 05:18 PM
All the seats are fine, but I do agree that the upper level seats feel really "high" in Greensboro.

Bought three seats in one of the back rows of the upper level. I'll be attending with my good friends PJ Hairston and Will Graves. After the tournament, I'll let you all know how high we were.

OldPhiKap
02-27-2014, 05:19 PM
Bought three seats in one of the back rows of the upper level. I'll be attending with my good friends PJ Hairston and Will Graves. After the tournament, I'll let you all know how high we were.

Crashing at Roy's pad after the game?

throatybeard
02-27-2014, 05:49 PM
Crashing at Roy's pad after the game?

Babysitting for him.

weezie
02-27-2014, 07:44 PM
But I'm a ticket snob.

And thank goodness for that or I'd never have met you dear hurl!

To the rest of you attendees, it's relatively easy to seat surf in Gboro. The ushers are, all in all, pretty cool.

hurleyfor3
02-27-2014, 07:54 PM
And thank goodness for that or I'd never have met you dear hurl!

I think I paid $100 for that ticket. In that session, Duke won, unc lost and I met weez, so it was one of my better investments.

To the rest of you attendees, it's relatively easy to seat surf in Gboro. The ushers are, all in all, pretty cool.

Agreed. More than once I've managed to watch Duke from the lower-level Duke section when I did not have a ticket for same. Rather surprising but it has happened.

JNort
03-05-2014, 06:56 PM
So I won't know my section or seat until my ticket arrives? It just says iron duke seating priority. Also if I get assigned nosebleed seats could I move myself up closer as other teams get knocked out and their seats are empty?