PDA

View Full Version : Harold Ramis (1944-2014)

JasonEvans
02-24-2014, 12:49 PM
Dead at 69 from complications related to a blood vessel disorder. Terrible loss!

Everyone will talk about how he starred in Stripes and Ghostbusters, but it was his writing and directing that were his true greatness. He directed Caddyshack, Groundhog Day, and National Lampoon's Vacation -- true comedy classics. He wrote Stripes, Ghostbusters, Animal House, Meatballs, Caddyshack, Back To School, Groundhog Day... and so much more.

He may have been the greatest cinematic comedy writer of the 80s. So sad.

-Jason "Egon crossed the streams one too many times... " Evans

duketaylor
02-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Thanks Jason, he certainly has made me laugh a lot and for a long time. Have several of his movies in the other room. Guess I'll need to break out Caddyshack to watch for umpteenth time. Great loss!! RIP!!

Blue in the Face
02-24-2014, 01:16 PM
He was involved in some really funny films. RIP.

alteran
02-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Total bummer. I didn't even realize how much stuff he'd been involved in behind the scenes.

blazindw
02-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Someone on Twitter said this and I totally agree: "You know you're a legend when Stripes is the 6th best movie you made."

There wasn't a movie with his fingerprints on it that I didn't like, from Ghostbusters to Groundhog Day to Stripes and the list goes on. Helluva loss for movie fans everywhere.

JasonEvans
02-24-2014, 03:15 PM
I added a poll to the top of the thread so we can all vote on what wonderful, hysterical thing Ramis did that we think is best. There are a TON of fabulous options. I won't blame anyone for voting for anything (except Ghostbusters II, if you do that I'm giving you an infraction and banning you from the boards)**

-Jason "**- just kidding... maybe" Evans

CameronBlue
02-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Possibly the most disturbing news since the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. RIP Harold.

My favorite line from Ghostbusters II
Ramis: "Art deco, very nice."

brevity
02-24-2014, 03:35 PM
I won't blame anyone for voting for anything (except Ghostbusters II, if you do that I'm giving you an infraction and banning you from the boards)**

-Jason "**- just kidding... maybe" Evans

Hold on there. Here are some Egon Spengler one-liners from Ghostbusters II:

"I'd like to run some gynecological tests on the mother."
"Why don't you just tell them you don't believe in ghosts?"
"We had part of a Slinky. But I straightened it."
"Is the atomic weight of cobalt 58.9?"
"I think they're more interested in my epididymis."
"You had a violent prolonged transformative psychic episode."
"Well, he was borderline for a while... then he crossed the border."
"You're nothing but an unstable short-chained molecule!"
"Let's see what happens when we take away the puppy."

I think we all assumed that Bill Murray got the best lines, but I'm starting to wonder if Ramis kept quite a few for himself.

Billy Dat
02-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Ramis was a TITAN of comedy, one of those responsible for ushering in the modern era.

The poll is great, but it almost needs to be broken out.

-I give the writing award to 'Animal House' because it is, basically, the film that begat every modern ensemble comedy from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" to "Old School" to "Anchorman" to you name it.

-As for "Writer-Director", I'll go Caddyshack with little equivocation

-As far as anything he acted in, I go 'Stripes' over 'Ghostbusters'. Russell Ziske was such a fantastic creation. No matter how you feel about the movie once they graduate and head to Europe, the beginning to "It's Party Time, Italian Style" is about as perfect as it gets. "I've always been kind of a pacifist. When I was a kid, my father told me, "Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.""

When I found out that the guy who played Russell Ziskee had actually written and directed some of my other favorite movies, my mind was blown. I am not sure I knew that one person could wear all those hats on a movie, or over a series of movies - that people could hop from the front to the back of the camera. Obviously, he wasn't the first, but in my "funny movie" tween perspective, he was the Neil Armstrong.

"Met her on a Monday and my heart stood still...."

blazindw
02-24-2014, 04:58 PM
Ramis was a TITAN of comedy, one of those responsible for ushering in the modern era.

The poll is great, but it almost needs to be broken out.

-I give the writing award to 'Animal House' because it is, basically, the film that begat every modern ensemble comedy from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" to "Old School" to "Anchorman" to you name it.

-As for "Writer-Director", I'll go Caddyshack with little equivocation

-As far as anything he acted in, I go 'Stripes' over 'Ghostbusters'. Russell Ziske was such a fantastic creation. No matter how you feel about the movie once they graduate and head to Europe, the beginning to "It's Party Time, Italian Style" is about as perfect as it gets. "I've always been kind of a pacifist. When I was a kid, my father told me, "Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.""

When I found out that the guy who played Russell Ziskee had actually written and directed some of my other favorite movies, my mind was blown. I am not sure I knew that one person could wear all those hats on a movie, or over a series of movies - that people could hop from the front to the back of the camera. Obviously, he wasn't the first, but in my "funny movie" tween perspective, he was the Neil Armstrong.

"Met her on a Monday and my heart stood still...."

Da do run run run, da do run run!

OldPhiKap
02-24-2014, 05:15 PM
I voted "other" because I became fascinated with him back in the SCTV days. But hard to argue with any choice.

Caddyshack and Animal House are two of the most quotable comedic movies ever. Since they both had co-writers, hard to tell what was sparked by HR and what by others. But pure genius.

Groundhog Day may be his most complete work.

Highlander
02-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Hold on there. Here are some Egon Spengler one-liners from Ghostbusters II:

"I'd like to run some gynecological tests on the mother."
"Why don't you just tell them you don't believe in ghosts?"
"We had part of a Slinky. But I straightened it."
"Is the atomic weight of cobalt 58.9?"
"I think they're more interested in my epididymis."
"You had a violent prolonged transformative psychic episode."
"Well, he was borderline for a while... then he crossed the border."
"You're nothing but an unstable short-chained molecule!"
"Let's see what happens when we take away the puppy."

I think we all assumed that Bill Murray got the best lines, but I'm starting to wonder if Ramis kept quite a few for himself.

You forgot my favorite, spoken in Spengler deadpann:
"I'm sorry, Dr. Venkman, but I'm paralyzed beyond the capacity for rational thought."

Atlanta Duke
02-24-2014, 08:38 PM
New Yorker profile from 2004 is out from behind the firewall, at least for now

The voice that Ramis originated—a defanged sixties rebelliousness that doesn’t so much seek to oust the powerful as to embolden the powerless—remains the dominant mode in comedy today. “The ideas behind most comedies now—put the underdog in the corner and let him win, the marriage of comedy and anarchy in a single molecule, and having characters do all these unlikable things but remain completely winning—are all Harold’s,”

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/200...urrentPage=all

I liked Animal House when I was younger but as I grew older gained a greater appreciation for Groundhog Day

R.I.P.

tommy
02-25-2014, 12:56 AM
Gunga lagunga.

At this time, for Harold, total consciousness. Which is nice.

Olympic Fan
02-25-2014, 02:25 AM
I voted for Groundhog Day, which I think is his masterpiece, but you can't go wrong with Caddyshack, Animal House, Stripes (his best acting work IMHO) or Ghostbusters.

Like OldPhiKap, I loved his work on SCTV.

I still cherish my DVDs of those old shows -- John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy (the Flaherty-Levy news reports were better than Weekend Anchor ever was), Andrea Martin, Catherine OHara, Dave Thomas and later Rick Moranis and later still Martin Short. And, of course, Harold Ramis.

I remember Ramis in a number of roles, most specifically as Moe Green, hosting the Dialing for Dollars movie version of Ben-Hur (with John Candy in the Heston role: "He DID say leopards!")

Love that he dials out to the Pope who can win the jackpot if he guesses the movie they're showing ... unfortunately, His Holiness guesses "The Daring Dobermans"

Ah, to relive those days in Melonville -- Johnny LaRue's restaurant reviews ... the Great White North ... Play it again, Bob and the time their satellite was hijacked by Russian TV (And the most popular show, "What Fits Into Russia") ... the parody of Chinatown, when LaRue finally got his cherished crane shot.

BTW: One of the great tragedies of my life is that Ramis was hired to direct a film version of O'Toole's A Confederacy of Dunes starring John Belushi and Richard Pryor ... but the project fell through. Would I have loved to see that movie!

OldPhiKap
02-25-2014, 07:35 AM
I voted for Groundhog Day, which I think is his masterpiece, but you can't go wrong with Caddyshack, Animal House, Stripes (his best acting work IMHO) or Ghostbusters.

Like OldPhiKap, I loved his work on SCTV.

I still cherish my DVDs of those old shows -- John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy (the Flaherty-Levy news reports were better than Weekend Anchor ever was), Andrea Martin, Catherine OHara, Dave Thomas and later Rick Moranis and later still Martin Short. And, of course, Harold Ramis.

I remember Ramis in a number of roles, most specifically as Moe Green, hosting the Dialing for Dollars movie version of Ben-Hur (with John Candy in the Heston role: "He DID say leopards!")

Love that he dials out to the Pope who can win the jackpot if he guesses the movie they're showing ... unfortunately, His Holiness guesses "The Daring Dobermans"

Ah, to relive those days in Melonville -- Johnny LaRue's restaurant reviews ... the Great White North ... Play it again, Bob and the time their satellite was hijacked by Russian TV (And the most popular show, "What Fits Into Russia") ... the parody of Chinatown, when LaRue finally got his cherished crane shot.

BTW: One of the great tragedies of my life is that Ramis was hired to direct a film version of O'Toole's A Confederacy of Dunes starring John Belushi and Richard Pryor ... but the project fell through. Would I have loved to see that movie!

Agreed on all of the above.

And not to sidetrack, but A Confederacy of Dunces is one of the funniest books I have ever read. Clearly one of the best characters in literatures in Ignatius J. Reilly.

Mal
02-25-2014, 02:22 PM
I sort of boil Ramis's numerous accomplishments down to two primary things:

1. He was the man most responsible for shaping what Gen X'ers (at least the males) think is funny. If you ask any kid who grew up in the '80's what the five most defining comedies of their youth were, almost all of them name at least three of Caddyshack, Animal House, Stripes, Vacation and Ghostbusters. That's amazing. Those are the comedies we recite. The number of amazing, memorable lines in each of them is phenomenal.

2. He gave us Groundhog Day, which, especially when viewed from a distance, has to be considered one of the best comedies since Annie Hall, in my opinion. It's hilarious, but look at everything else going for it, too: it's philosophical and metaphysical and covers religious territory (with elements of Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism and Judaism, at minimum), it has a message, it's somehow uplifting, and it made Bill Murray actually act for the first time in his career (as far as I remember, though I could be wrong). The arc of his character from self-centered sarcastic horse's rear to real live adult, although it took years, is what makes the film transcend its genre.

Either one of those is a tremendous achievement, but Ramis has both in his cap. Kudos, Harold, and R.I.P.

JasonEvans
02-26-2014, 11:19 AM
If you ask any kid who grew up in the '80's what the five most defining comedies of their youth were, almost all of them name at least three of Caddyshack, Animal House, Stripes, Vacation and Ghostbusters.

What else is in that 80s pantheon of amazing, culture-defining comedies?

The Princess Bride
Ferris Bueller
16 Candles
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Big
Trading Places
Revenge of the Nerds
Weird Science
Blues Brothers
Beverly Hills Cop (is this a comedy or more of an action movie?)
Spinal Tap
Splash
Crocodile Dundee
A Fish Called Wanda

I am probably missing a few but how many of those are still quoted, relevant, and stood the test of time as well as Vacation, Caddyshack, Ghostbusters, Animal House, and Groundhog Day? Certainly Princess Bride, Spinal Tap, Big, Blues Brothers, and Ferris Beuller are still quite relevant. I'd put Trading Places, Wanda, and Beverly Hills Cop in the next tier.

Anyway, just more fodder for the "Harold Ramis was a true timeless genius" file.

-Jason "I also suspect that this spin off conversation will keep this thread -- and its ongoing love/praise of Ramis' work -- alive for a bit longer" Evans

davekay1971
02-26-2014, 11:36 AM

The Princess Bride
Ferris Bueller
16 Candles
Big
Trading Places
Revenge of the Nerds
Weird Science
Blues Brothers
Spinal Tap
Splash
Crocodile Dundee
A Fish Called Wanda

I am probably missing a few but how many of those are still quoted, relevant, and stood the test of time as well as Vacation, Caddyshack, Ghostbusters, Animal House, and Groundhog Day? Certainly Princess Bride, Spinal Tap, Big, Blues Brothers, and Ferris Beuller are still quite relevant. I'd put Trading Places, Wanda, and Beverly Hills Cop in the next tier.

Anyway, just more fodder for the "Harold Ramis was a true timeless genius" file.

-Jason "I also suspect that this spin off conversation will keep this thread -- and its ongoing love/praise of Ramis' work -- alive for a bit longer" Evans

With 80s American comedies they basically broke down to: Harold Ramis (and Harold Ramis ripoffs), John Hughes (and John Hughes ripoffs), and Eddie Murphy (and Eddie Murphy ripoffs). Personally, I think Eddie had two of the best movies of the 80s with Beverly Hills Cop and 48 Hours, but, as funny as Eddie was, those two movies were, as JE pointed out, at least as much action as comedy. Ghostbusters may have been the funniest pure comedy movie of the 80s. A Fish Called Wanda, to me, was essentially a Monty Python import (with a huge assist from Kevin Kline) and it's probably an insult to call it an American comedy. John Hughes movies spoke to kids in my generation (I was a teenager during most of those movies) but they always represented to me a Hollywood version of teenagers that I didn't recognize in my own life.

It's not really a movie, but if we stretch the definition to include Eddie Murphy's Delirious, I would call that the hands-down funniest movie of the 80s. Brutally offensive, particularly in 2014...but in the 80s, it was don't-dare-drink-a-sip-of-your-coke-because-it-will-shoot-out-of-your-nose-before-you-can-swallow funny.

OldPhiKap
02-26-2014, 11:53 AM

The Princess Bride
Ferris Bueller
16 Candles
Big
Trading Places
Revenge of the Nerds
Weird Science
Blues Brothers
Spinal Tap
Splash
Crocodile Dundee
A Fish Called Wanda

I would add "Airplane!" and the Zucker Abrahams Zucker genre. Also the Cohen Brothers and "Raising Arizona" have held up.

JasonEvans
02-26-2014, 01:27 PM
With 80s American comedies they basically broke down to: Harold Ramis (and Harold Ramis ripoffs), John Hughes (and John Hughes ripoffs), and Eddie Murphy (and Eddie Murphy ripoffs).

You forgot Tom Hanks - Big and Splash are two of the best comedies of the decade, for sure. Bachelor Party ain't that far behind those and I actually laughed a good bit at Turner and Hooch.

-Jason "by the 90s, Hanks was moving toward becoming a serious actor and was on a ridiculous hotstreak of great, great movies" Evans

77devil
02-26-2014, 02:29 PM

The Princess Bride
Ferris Bueller
16 Candles
Big
Trading Places
Revenge of the Nerds
Weird Science
Blues Brothers
Spinal Tap
Splash
Crocodile Dundee
A Fish Called Wanda

I have a special fondness for Trading Places but agree that it doesn't quite measure up to the classics. I was in grad school in Philly when the movie was made. Mrs. 77devil worked in the Duke and Duke building at the time, and one of my grad school buddies and I still call each other Randolph and Mortimer, and our ritualistic golf bet is always one dollar.

By the way, if anyone ever runs into SilkyJ(http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/member.php?1755-SilkyJ), get him to recite Bill Murray's looper story from Caddyshack. Classic

davekay1971
02-26-2014, 04:14 PM
You forgot Tom Hanks - Big and Splash are two of the best comedies of the decade, for sure. Bachelor Party ain't that far behind those and I actually laughed a good bit at Turner and Hooch.

-Jason "by the 90s, Hanks was moving toward becoming a serious actor and was on a ridiculous hotstreak of great, great movies" Evans

Didn't forget him, but probably reflected my personal tastes more than anything. Hanks's comedies never did it for me. His work in Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, Saving Private Ryan, and CastAway, however, make him one of America's great actors.

mr. synellinden
02-26-2014, 06:13 PM

The Princess Bride
Ferris Bueller
16 Candles
Big
Trading Places
Revenge of the Nerds
Weird Science
Blues Brothers
Spinal Tap
Splash
Crocodile Dundee
A Fish Called Wanda

Any list that does not include Midnight Run, 48 Hours and Fletch cannot be taken seriously. I'd even say those are three that would be highly considered for the Mt. Rushmore of 80s comedies.

I know people talk about Groundhog Day as being on a different level from most of the other SNL-type/teen (John Hughes-ish) comedies because of the overall quality and spirituality of the film, but I think that is more of a retroactive analysis of the movie. How many people really appreciated that meaning of life/religious element when you first watched it?

I really think Midnight Run is the best comedy of my lifetime - and is a better movie than Groundhog Day. Its quote-ability and rewatch-ability are unsurpassed. Fletch I put in the same category as Stripes, Caddyshack, Vacation, and Animal House as half a notch below Midnight Run. And if we're really talking about 80s comedies, you probably have to start with Diner, which may be more of the progenitor of the comedies of the last two decades than Animal House. In fact, there was a great Vanity Fair story (http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2012/03/diner-201203) on Diner two years ago.

One other movie that should be on the list and has been way underrated in my opinion when people talk about great 80s comedies is The Flamingo Kid.

mr. synellinden
02-26-2014, 08:02 PM
Risky Business also should be on the list. I'm sure there are many others that will come to mind the more I think about it.

Atlanta Duke
02-26-2014, 08:29 PM
Someone in the White House speechwriters' office is a Harold Ramis (or at least Caddyshack) fan:D

In his tribute to the late film director Harold Ramis, President Obama managed to work in a sly reference to one of Ramis' most popular works: Caddyshack.

[President] Obama said in a written statement Tuesday that his thoughts and prayers are with the Ramis family, and "all those who loved him, who quote his work with abandon, and who hope that he received total consciousness."..

Not coincidentally, "total consciousness" is a quote uttered by Carl Spackler ... Spackler claims he once caddied for the Dalai Lama -- "big hitter, the Lama" -- but the religious leader failed to tip him.

"He says, 'oh, uh, there won't be any money -- but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness,'" Spackler says, adding (famously): "So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/2014/02/26/obama-caddyshack-harold-ramis-statement-bill-murray/5837205/

davekay1971
02-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Someone in the White House speechwriters' office is a Harold Ramis (or at least Caddyshack) fan:D

In his tribute to the late film director Harold Ramis, President Obama managed to work in a sly reference to one of Ramis' most popular works: Caddyshack.

[President] Obama said in a written statement Tuesday that his thoughts and prayers are with the Ramis family, and "all those who loved him, who quote his work with abandon, and who hope that he received total consciousness."..

Not coincidentally, "total consciousness" is a quote uttered by Carl Spackler ... Spackler claims he once caddied for the Dalai Lama -- "big hitter, the Lama" -- but the religious leader failed to tip him.

"He says, 'oh, uh, there won't be any money -- but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness,'" Spackler says, adding (famously): "So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/2014/02/26/obama-caddyshack-harold-ramis-statement-bill-murray/5837205/

I might give the POTUS credit for being able to come up with that one on his own off the cuff. Obama's the right age to have enjoyed Caddyshack in the theater!

JasonEvans
02-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Risky Business and 48 Hours were almost on my list, but I knocked each of them off for not being a "pure comedy" the way most of the other films are. Even though it has some very, very funny parts, Risky Business is a romance/teen angst/drama with comedy added in. 48 Hours is a very violent cop drama with some comedy mixed in to lighten the tone.

I suppose one could parse a lot of the films on my list - or on any list - in the way I just did. I mean, how can I call Beverly Hills Cop a comedy but not 48 Hours? They are pretty darn similar in tone.

As for Midnight Run, I really enjoyed it and consider it one of Charles Grodin's best roles. It has some very funny parts, for sure. But it is different from all the others mentioned in that it has not stood the test of time. The other films we are talking about are still being watched today. They still show up on cable and are staples of many DVD libraries. I would imagine that most folks in the late teens or 20s have seen them, even though people in that age group were not even born when these films came out. Midnight Run... I haven't heard about or thought about that movie in 20 years.

-Jason "Fletch is a real big omission on my part. I knew I was leaving some big ones out... that might be my worst omission" Evans

mr. synellinden
02-27-2014, 02:04 AM
Risky Business and 48 Hours were almost on my list, but I knocked each of them off for not being a "pure comedy" the way most of the other films are. Even though it has some very, very funny parts, Risky Business is a romance/teen angst/drama with comedy added in. 48 Hours is a very violent cop drama with some comedy mixed in to lighten the tone.

I suppose one could parse a lot of the films on my list - or on any list - in the way I just did. I mean, how can I call Beverly Hills Cop a comedy but not 48 Hours? They are pretty darn similar in tone.

As for Midnight Run, I really enjoyed it and consider it one of Charles Grodin's best roles. It has some very funny parts, for sure. But it is different from all the others mentioned in that it has not stood the test of time. The other films we are talking about are still being watched today. They still show up on cable and are staples of many DVD libraries. I would imagine that most folks in the late teens or 20s have seen them, even though people in that age group were not even born when these films came out. Midnight Run... I haven't heard about or thought about that movie in 20 years.

-Jason "Fletch is a real big omission on my part. I knew I was leaving some big ones out... that might be my worst omission" Evans

This post really surprised me. I agree with the qualifications on Risky Business and 48 Hours - even though they are part of the group of 80s comedy-ish movies that are frequently quoted by people who grew up in the 80s.

But I am shocked by your feelings about Midnight Run. I have great respect for your reviews and opinions of movies - and often look forward to them with great anticipation, but I could not disagree more with your assessment of Midnight Run. I think it has stood the test of time far better than any of the other movies listed in this thread, and to repeat what I said before, I really believe it is the best comedy of my lifetime, and the one movie I would watch if I had one movie to watch. Midnight Run does show up relatively often on cable, and when it's on I watch it without fail. I sometimes make a point to watch the DVD even though I've seen it probably 75 times. You may not have heard or thought about it in 20 years, but I think that would put you in the very small minority of people who are old enough to appreciate this thread and have seen most of these movies in the theater. Yes, there may be many teenagers and people in their 20s who haven't seen or heard of Midnight Run, but those same people have not heard of Stripes or Weird Science or Vacation or several other of what we'd consider the "Classics".

I hate to rely on others to support my point of view as somehow proof that I'm right about this, however, I encourage you to read this two relatively recent blog posts on the movie - one by Alan Sepinwall (http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/here-come-two-words-for-you-why-i-love-midnight-run), a critic I highly respect who says Midnight Run is his favorite movie ever, and the other by Bill Simmons (http://grantland.com/features/the-nba-midnight-run-part-1/) - I'm not sure how much I respect him, but I agree with his assessment of Midnight Run. He calls it a "timeless classic" and "the least dated 80s movie".

Edouble
02-27-2014, 02:29 AM

From one of the top five hip hop albums of all time, Midnight Marauders, which has never found its way out of my rotation:

"Hits the local bodega to woof down a hero
Son is on a 'Midnight Run' like De Niro"

-Qtip

So I think about that movie quite often. :D

tommy
02-27-2014, 02:53 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPStwD1C8-c

JasonEvans
02-27-2014, 10:46 AM
I want to be clear, I really liked Midnight Run. It is a very funny comedy movie. But, I have not seen it nor heard anyone talk about it decades. Your citing of critical praise is nice and I do not disagree with those critics, but from the standpoint of continued cultural relevance to today, I still think it comes up short.

I wasted some time this morning and did some research. I picked 10 of the films we have been talking about in this discussion and compared them to Midnight Run in two interesting metrics. First, I looked at how many people have rated/voted for them on IMDB. I consider this significant because it measures how much people in the current internet age have made their opinion about the film known. I also looked at Amazon.com's DVD sales ranking for each film. I don't know exactly how the sales rankings fully work on Amazon or when they start throwing out old data and the such, but I think this would be another good measure of how much people in the present are thinking about (and watching) these films.

Here is the data:

Groundhog Day - 305,290 IMDB votes, ranked #478 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions, so hard to rank)
Princess Bride - 220,492 IMDB votes, ranked #917 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions)
Ghostbusters - 191,093 IMDB votes, ranked #1,091 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions)
Big - 114,211 IMDB votes, ranked #5,625 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions)
Beverly Hills Cop - 94,641 IMDB votes, ranked #4,725 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions)
Animal House - 74,039 IMDB votes, ranked #4,775 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions)
Fast Times - 56,299 IMDB votes, ranked #4,767 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions)
Vacation - 49,314 IMDB votes, ranked #8,275 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions)
Weird Science - 45,187 IMDB votes, ranked #5,606 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions)
Midnight Run - 44,153 IMDB votes, ranked #12,324 in Amazon DVD sales (ONLY EDITION!!!)
Stripes - 34,920 IMDB votes, ranked #1,806 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions)

As you will note, Midnight Run is near the bottom, but not embarrassingly so, in IMDB ranking. In that metric, it compares favorably with some of the movies on the list, though it gets trounced by many of them. However, its numbers certainly do not reflect a film that you would seem to feel is among the most culturally relevant and lasting of 1980s-era comedies.

Even more telling, it is a distant last in DVD sales. And, it is worth noting that it is the only film on the list unavailable on BluRay. What's more, it is the only DVD that has not seen multiple editions released to satisfy public demand. All the others have unrated/anniversary/collectors/etc editions out there. Some of them get a new DVD release every few years. Midnight Run was released on DVD in 1998, re-released with no changes in 2003, and that is it. All four Midnight Run movies (three made-for-TV sequels were made without either Grodin or Deniro involved) were released on DVD in 2011, but that set sold very poorly. The original was released on HD-DVD in 2007 but never on BluRay. There just isn't enough demand for Universal to bother to release it again or upgrade it to the BluRay format. That is very telling!

Again, I am not trying to put down the quality of the film. I really enjoyed Midnight Run. I imagine that if I ever saw it pop up on my cable listings, I would try to record it for my sons (14 and 17) to watch (as I have done with every single other film mentioned in this thread). But, it just isn't part of the continued movie landscape the way the other films we are talking about are.

-Jason "some of this may stem from the fact that it was not a big boxoffice hit, so fewer people were aware of it in 1988 to carry its legacy forward" Evans

nocilla
02-27-2014, 11:20 AM
But I am shocked by your feelings about Midnight Run. I have great respect for your reviews and opinions of movies - and often look forward to them with great anticipation, but I could not disagree more with your assessment of Midnight Run.

In Jason's defense, and probably proving his point, I had never heard of Midnight Run. I have seen all the movies on his original list except 16 candles and Spinal Tap. I am a 90's kid so all of them came out before I was old enough to watch them. That doesn't mean it isn't a great movie, but I have never seen it so I don't know.

Some others that I like are Naked Gun, Spaceballs, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Planes Trains & Automobiles, and Funny Farm.

snowdenscold
02-27-2014, 12:12 PM
I want to be clear, I really liked Midnight Run. It is a very funny comedy movie. But, I have not seen it nor heard anyone talk about it decades. Your citing of critical praise is nice and I do not disagree with those critics, but from the standpoint of continued cultural relevance to today, I still think it comes up short.
Here is the data:

Groundhog Day - 305,290 IMDB votes, ranked #478 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions, so hard to rank)
Princess Bride - 220,492 IMDB votes, ranked #917 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions)
Ghostbusters - 191,093 IMDB votes, ranked #1,091 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions)
Big - 114,211 IMDB votes, ranked #5,625 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions)
Beverly Hills Cop - 94,641 IMDB votes, ranked #4,725 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions)
Animal House - 74,039 IMDB votes, ranked #4,775 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions)
Fast Times - 56,299 IMDB votes, ranked #4,767 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions)
Vacation - 49,314 IMDB votes, ranked #8,275 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions)
Weird Science - 45,187 IMDB votes, ranked #5,606 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions)
Midnight Run - 44,153 IMDB votes, ranked #12,324 in Amazon DVD sales (ONLY EDITION!!!)
Stripes - 34,920 IMDB votes, ranked #1,806 in Amazon DVD sales (multiple editions)

In Jason's defense, and probably proving his point, I had never heard of Midnight Run. I have seen all the movies on his original list except 16 candles and Spinal Tap. I am a 90's kid so all of them came out before I was old enough to watch them. That doesn't mean it isn't a great movie, but I have never seen it so I don't know.

I'm in a similar situation. I am familiar with every movie on that IMDb list (and have seen half of them numerous times over) except Midnight Run, which I had never heard of until this thread. Take that FWIW - I was born early 80's.

But in terms of quotability, I really have to favor Airplane!, which barely squeaks into the 80's, and The Princess Bride. Those are the two I can quote the most from. And going back to Harold Ramis - Groundhog Day is my favorite of his, and as an FYI it came out in 1993, even though we've been kind of talking about it as an "80's movie" in this thread.

In fact, it's weird to think that Groundhog Day and Four Weddings and a Funeral are only 1 year apart (and coincidentally both starring Andie MacDowell) - sort of like the end of one era for one, and a beginning of a different era for the other.

cato
02-27-2014, 01:13 PM
From one of the top five hip hop albums of all time, Midnight Marauders, which has never found its way out of my rotation:

"Hits the local bodega to woof down a hero
Son is on a 'Midnight Run' like De Niro"

-Qtip

So I think about that movie quite often. :D

Just a note that Midnight Marauders itself is over 20 years old. Thanks for the reminder, though. It's probably time to dust off the old CD and give it a listen (if I can find my CD player).

NashvilleDevil
02-27-2014, 02:10 PM
Any list that does not include Midnight Run, 48 Hours and Fletch cannot be taken seriously. I'd even say those are three that would be highly considered for the Mt. Rushmore of 80s comedies.

I know people talk about Groundhog Day as being on a different level from most of the other SNL-type/teen (John Hughes-ish) comedies because of the overall quality and spirituality of the film, but I think that is more of a retroactive analysis of the movie. How many people really appreciated that meaning of life/religious element when you first watched it?

I really think Midnight Run is the best comedy of my lifetime - and is a better movie than Groundhog Day. Its quote-ability and rewatch-ability are unsurpassed. Fletch I put in the same category as Stripes, Caddyshack, Vacation, and Animal House as half a notch below Midnight Run. And if we're really talking about 80s comedies, you probably have to start with Diner, which may be more of the progenitor of the comedies of the last two decades than Animal House. In fact, there was a great Vanity Fair story (http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2012/03/diner-201203) on Diner two years ago.

One other movie that should be on the list and has been way underrated in my opinion when people talk about great 80s comedies is The Flamingo Kid.

Yes x about a million! That is one of the underrated comedies in the last 30 years. And I am with you on Midnight Run, love that movie.

mr. synellinden
02-27-2014, 03:09 PM

I wasted some time this morning and did some research. I picked 10 of the films we have been talking about in this discussion and compared them to Midnight Run in two interesting metrics. First, I looked at how many people have rated/voted for them on IMDB. I consider this significant because it measures how much people in the current internet age have made their opinion about the film known. I also looked at Amazon.com's DVD sales ranking for each film. I don't know exactly how the sales rankings fully work on Amazon or when they start throwing out old data and the such, but I think this would be another good measure of how much people in the present are thinking about (and watching) these films.

Here is the data:

As you will note, Midnight Run is near the bottom, but not embarrassingly so, in IMDB ranking. In that metric, it compares favorably with some of the movies on the list, though it gets trounced by many of them. However, its numbers certainly do not reflect a film that you would seem to feel is among the most culturally relevant and lasting of 1980s-era comedies.

Even more telling, it is a distant last in DVD sales. And, it is worth noting that it is the only film on the list unavailable on BluRay. What's more, it is the only DVD that has not seen multiple editions released to satisfy public demand. All the others have unrated/anniversary/collectors/etc editions out there. Some of them get a new DVD release every few years. Midnight Run was released on DVD in 1998, re-released with no changes in 2003, and that is it. All four Midnight Run movies (three made-for-TV sequels were made without either Grodin or Deniro involved) were released on DVD in 2011, but that set sold very poorly. The original was released on HD-DVD in 2007 but never on BluRay. There just isn't enough demand for Universal to bother to release it again or upgrade it to the BluRay format. That is very telling!

Again, I am not trying to put down the quality of the film. I really enjoyed Midnight Run. I imagine that if I ever saw it pop up on my cable listings, I would try to record it for my sons (14 and 17) to watch (as I have done with every single other film mentioned in this thread). But, it just isn't part of the continued movie landscape the way the other films we are talking about are.

-Jason "some of this may stem from the fact that it was not a big boxoffice hit, so fewer people were aware of it in 1988 to carry its legacy forward" Evans

I guess this makes some sense - if you are talking about cultural relevance, or as you put it in the original post on this "list" - "cultural-defining" comedies. Perhaps Midnight Run hasn't stood the test of time as much as say Caddyshack, Animal House, Fletch or Stripes in that respect. But I still think it has stood the test of time as one of the best comedies ever. Here's an example of what I mean - Weird Science was one of movies I'd put on the 80s classic list. But now, it seems very dated and kind silly/shtick-y. Some parts are even hard to watch - like when the mutants show up at the house. There are others on the list which I think suffer from the same problem - Revenge of the Nerds and Trading Places come to mind. They have some great scenes and great lines that I still quote, but the movies are just average and don't make me want to watch any time they're one. Midnight Run to me has stood the test of time better than any of these movies in terms of quality and rewatchability (that was the point that Simmons and Sepinwall were making as well). I do agree that far fewer people can quote lines from the Duke than they can from Irwin M. Fletcher, John Winger, or John Blutarski. For what it's worth, I've come across as many people born in the 80s who never heard of Stripes as have never heard of Midnight Run.

Finally, to those who have not seen Midnight Run - you have homework this weekend. There's no Duke game on so take the two hours you would have spent watching the Blue Devils and watch Midnight Run. Then do the litmus configuration.

NashvilleDevil
02-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Finally, to those who have not seen Midnight Run - you have homework this weekend. There's no Duke game on so take the two hours you would have spent watching the Blue Devils and watch Midnight Run. Then do the litmus configuration.

Then do what you would after a Duke game and re-watch it.

Olympic Fan
02-28-2014, 01:35 AM
I just found out that Sid Caesar passed away earlier this month. We didn't have a thread on it and I guess that's understandable -- it's been a long time since Caesar was relevant -- and his greatest work is never on reruns.

Yet, I thought this thread is an appropriate place to talk about Caesar, since we've been talking about the cultural relevance of Harold Ramis and his influence on comedy in the '80s and later.

Caesar practically invented TV sketch comedy, but his real impact was the brilliant collection of writers he gathered for "Your Show of Shows" and later for "Caesar's Hour"

Originally, his writing staff included Mel Brooks, Neil Simon, Larry Gelbart and Carl Reiner (who also acted on the show) ... later he added a young Jewish comic who had just changed his name to Woody Allen.

Try and trace the comedy of the '50s, '60s and '70s that grew out of that group. Carl Reiner used his memories as a basis for the Dick Van Dyke Show (Sally Rogers was a parody of Caesar writer Selma Diamond). Simon, the most successful comic playwright of his era, based one of his players on his writing days for Caesar. Gelbart later wrote and produced the TV show MASH, the Broadway musical A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Forum and the movie Tootsie. Brooks ... well, you know what Brooks did. And Woody Allen -- nobody has been nominated for more writing Oscars than the Woodman.

I think our Ramis discussion got sidetracked. We started out discussing culturally significant comedies and somehow got into a discussion of underrated comedies from the era. Look, Midnight Run or Flamingo Kid might tickle your funny bone (I found both incredibly mediocre), but even if I am wrong and they are the funniest movies of their era, neither had a significant impact on the culture -- not like Ramis' best comedies or the Coen's stuff or the Abraham-Zucker films or the best Eddie Murphy films.

If you ever get a chance to see any old Your Show of Shows, you may or may not find it hilarious ... but it's impossible to deny the impact that show -- and the people who made it -- had on American comedy. Much easier to find is Richard Benjamin's 1982 film "My Favorite Year" with Joe Bologna as a very thinly disguised version of Caesar (named King Kaiser) and Peter O'Toole as a thinly disguised Errol Flynn.

nocilla
02-28-2014, 08:53 AM
On the topic of 80's movies, I watched Back to the Future II last night. Boy are we behind on the technological advances that we were expected to have 30 years ago. In the movie, from 1985 they travelled to the future of Oct 2015. The flying cars and hoverboards seem to be a good ways off. We do have fingerprint keyless access but not on residential housing. I haven't seen any drone waiters at restaurants either. And of course we don't have time machines... Or do we? :p

JasonEvans
02-28-2014, 09:08 AM
Much easier to find is Richard Benjamin's 1982 film "My Favorite Year" with Joe Bologna as a very thinly disguised version of Caesar (named King Kaiser) and Peter O'Toole as a thinly disguised Errol Flynn.

You wanna talk about great, under appreciated films, My Favorite Year was fabulous. It is one of the few widely released films in history to garner the rare 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It also garnered O'Toole a Best Actor nomination. Must, must, must see. I need to find that thing on DVD or cable to show my kids.

--Jason "enjoy this 5 minute clip ---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7m5VwOpShQ " Evans

Atlanta Duke
02-28-2014, 10:16 AM
You wanna talk about great, under appreciated films, My Favorite Year was fabulous. It is one of the few widely released films in history to garner the rare 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It also garnered O'Toole a Best Actor nomination. Must, must, must see. I need to find that thing on DVD or cable to show my kids.

If you have Amazon Prime you can stream it for $1.99

http://www.amazon.com/My-Favorite-Year-Peter-Otoole/dp/B000J3ZVOI/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1393600358&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=my+favoriteyear

If anyone is interested in lot of these films, check out Netflix and Amazon for streaming options - I am a recent streaming convert now that I can stream through my TV rather than a computer screen

BD80
02-28-2014, 05:53 PM

--Jason "enjoy this 5 minute clip ---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7m5VwOpShQ " Evans

Absolutely fabulous movie, one of my favorites.

"Of course he's beneath us. He's an actor."

Was the Benjy Stone character based upon one of the young Show of Show writers? Woody Allen? (Wood to Stone is akin to Caesar to Kaiser and Errol Flynn to Alan Swann). Subtlety was not a prime concern.

NashvilleDevil
02-28-2014, 06:50 PM
Double the lad's bet for me you toad.

Atlanta Duke
02-28-2014, 11:39 PM
Was the Benjy Stone character based upon one of the young Show of Show writers? Woody Allen? (Wood to Stone is akin to Caesar to Kaiser and Errol Flynn to Alan Swann). Subtlety was not a prime concern.

The Benjy Stone character was inspired by another Your Show of Shows writer who achieved some later success on his own.

My Favorite Year was inspired by Mel Brooks' real-life experience with Errol Flynn when he appeared on Sid Caesar's Your Show of Shows.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/31268|0/My-Favorite-Year.html

DevilAlumna
03-04-2014, 01:39 AM
I do agree that far fewer people can quote lines from the Duke than they can from Irwin M. Fletcher, John Winger, or John Blutarski.

<Snip>

Then do the litmus configuration.

In addition to that one, my brother and I throw these back and forth on a regular basis:

"I said if I were your accountant."

"Serrano's got the disks!"

"I can't fly!"

"Put Moron #2 on the phone."

"Those were some pretty good looking chickens back there, Jack."

Not to mention our love of lyonnaise potatoes and chorizo sausage. Yeah, this one deserves a place on best 80's comedy lists.

Dukehky
03-09-2014, 11:49 PM
My personal favorite was Analyze This.

One of his kids was on my team one year at Duke BBall camp. Pretty grounded kid, couldn't ball for jack.

Ramis was incredible. Even recently he was hysterically in funny in Walk Hard.

lotusland
03-10-2014, 08:19 PM
About Last Night was about the last of the Brat Pack. I may have missed it but I didn't see any of the Vacation movies listed. Blues Bros, Space Balls, Back to School I'm sure there are more.

Trading Places is the most quotable in my book. My friends and I still exhort each other to semi annual outings with "Whiskey - all you want!"

OldPhiKap
03-10-2014, 10:27 PM
It speaks well of Ramis that there a re four movies tied for first with hefty votes -- and neither one is even Stripes or Vacation (both of which are lynchpins).