PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Syracuse 58, Maryland 56

OldPhiKap
02-24-2014, 07:39 AM
Okay, that time of year where what you want and what you need diverge. Syracuse finishes:

@Md
@UVa
GT
@FSU

We are two behind in the loss column. A Twerp win gets us to within a game, and a realistic shot (if we take care of business) to perhaps jump to the #2 seed.

But -- hoping Maryland wins (especially this year) is nauseating.

Guess I gotta pull for the Twerps but not gonna like it.

jv001
02-24-2014, 07:50 AM
Okay, that time of year where what you want and what you need diverge. Syracuse finishes:

@Md
@UVa
GT
@FSU

We are two behind in the loss column. A Twerp win gets us to within a game, and a realistic shot (if we take care of business) to perhaps jump to the #2 seed.

But -- hoping Maryland wins (especially this year) is nauseating.

Guess I gotta pull for the Twerps but not gonna like it.

Goterps! Man I almost threw up. Hope I don't have to say that again. GoDuke!

SirBlueDevil
02-24-2014, 07:54 AM
I'm with you Jv, as much as it pains me (more than having sea salt thrown directly into my eyes) to say this, i hope the twerps win tonight.

Go Duke Blue

Ichabod Drain
02-24-2014, 08:37 AM
With the likely 1-4 seeds being Duke, Virginia, Syracuse, and UNC in no particular order, I honestly don't really care. It would take a miracle for us to catch Virginia so no matter if we are a two or three we would be in Syracuse bracket. I'm more worried about just beating UNC next time so we stay ahead of them.

Though who would you rather play in the ACCT Semifinal Syracuse or Virginia?

SirBlueDevil
02-24-2014, 08:40 AM
Syracuse!

OldPhiKap
02-24-2014, 09:00 AM
With the likely 1-4 seeds being Duke, Virginia, Syracuse, and UNC in no particular order, I honestly don't really care. It would take a miracle for us to catch Virginia so no matter if we are a two or three we would be in Syracuse bracket. I'm more worried about just beating UNC next time so we stay ahead of them.

Though who would you rather play in the ACCT Semifinal Syracuse or Virginia?

What started me thinking of this over my Wheeties was -- who would you rather play your first game if form holds -- Clemson, Pitt, State or Md? If we move up to #2 seed we get (theoretically) the one that struggled more down the stretch than if we are #3 or #4. None of those games are gimme's by any stretch. (I guess in order, I'd rather play State, then Pitt, then Clemson, then Md last choice).

In any event, this is a real test for Syracuse. They pulled out a few mircacle wins, then got beat by a really struggling BC team at home. Then a really emotional loss in Durham. There could be serious melt-down if they lose tonight, and this is probably the biggest home game for MD this seasoon.

Could be a really fun game.

sagegrouse
02-24-2014, 09:12 AM
I expect Syracuse will get down to business and thump the Terps, although another Orange lost would help Duke in the standings.

Wildling
02-24-2014, 10:04 AM
I cannot pull for Syracuse, in any way, shape, or form. They are the new Maryland in my eyes. Irrational fans who feel entitled to special treatment because they are some sort of basketball juggernaut. I've said it before. Knowing SU fans all my life, they are insufferable.

They so badly want respect and everything to go their way that when they don't think it does go their way, the whole country is in some sort of grand conspiracy against them. Que ESPN and the NCAA referees as responsible. I've already received texts complaining, because Duke is going to be ranked higher than Syracuse this week. The sole reason is because Duke has 6 losses and that's not fair! If the shoe were on the other foot, Syracuse would be ranked 15th or worse.

It honestly will never end with them. So as much as I hate to say these words, go Terps!

wilson
02-24-2014, 10:25 AM
...It would take a miracle for us to catch Virginia so no matter if we are a two or three we would be in Syracuse bracket. I'm more worried about just beating UNC next time so we stay ahead of them. This hits the nail on the head to me. Other than uniform color in the Saturday ACCT game, the distinction between ACC #2 seed or #3 seed is basically meaningless. I don't want Duke to lose any more games, so I wouldn't want to end up in the #4, but honestly, I think a Saturday matchup vs. UVA as opposed to Syracuse is more manageable. So for tonight, I'm with Syracuse, simply because BOO TWERPS BOO.

ddsdevil
02-24-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm pulling for MD. I'm not as interested in seeding for the ACC Tourney as I am competing with Cuse for a 1 seed in the East. The more Cuse loses, the better change we have at catching them.

Billy Dat
02-24-2014, 10:50 AM
I'm pulling for MD. I'm not as interested in seeding for the ACC Tourney as I am competing with Cuse for a 1 seed in the East. The more Cuse loses, the better change we have at catching them.

I feel like Maryland has never come through and beaten someone good after showing well against Duke. I don't expect tonight to be any different. I hope I am wrong.

CDu
02-24-2014, 10:54 AM

I think if we win out and then win the ACC tournament, we'll get the #1 seed over Syracuse. But ultimately we aren't getting the #1 seed without winning the ACC tournament. So what Syracuse does between now and then doesn't make all that much of a difference.

A loss would be nice, but if Syracuse loses a bunch and we don't win the ACC tourney, then it just means that neither of us get a #1 seed.

davekay1971
02-24-2014, 11:11 AM
While it would be nice to have the best regular season record, the ACC Champion comes from the tournament, so I am much more interested in us finishing (1) playing well; (2) healthy; and (3) in the top 4 of the regular season standings. The Cuse-Md game doesn't have much impact on any of those 3 things.

In addition, the best outcome for Duke, in terms of NCAAT seeding, would be for Duke to win out the regular season, Cuse to win out the regular season, and then for Duke to beat Cuse in the ACCT either semifinals or finals, however the pairings work out.

So, with all that in mind, when Cuse plays Maryland tonight, I'll be pulling for the ACC team to win.

hudlow
02-24-2014, 11:14 AM
I want to see Maryland leave the ACC like a whipped puppy.

kAzE
02-24-2014, 11:40 AM
Don't care what seed we are . . I hope the terps lose. Then again, Syracuse has done quite a bit this year to tick me off with the Hollywood flopping display at the Carrier Dome and then Boeheim's proclamation that Hood's charge was the "worst call of the year," as if he had personally watched each and every NCAA game this year and expertly chose this play as the one most flagrantly bad call . . .

Still, Maryland's unbelievably obnoxious fan base coupled with the fact that they decided to leave for the allegedly greener pastures of the B10 . . . I hope they lose every game they play the rest of the year.

Plus, it's hard to hate Tyler Ennis, that guy is just a baller, and just about the only time he hasn't played well this year is against us. I like rooting for him.

Christmas sucks, though. Screw him.

kAzE
02-24-2014, 11:52 AM
This hits the nail on the head to me. Other than uniform color in the Saturday ACCT game, the distinction between ACC #2 seed or #3 seed is basically meaningless. I don't want Duke to lose any more games, so I wouldn't want to end up in the #4, but honestly, I think a Saturday matchup vs. UVA as opposed to Syracuse is more manageable. So for tonight, I'm with Syracuse, simply because BOO TWERPS BOO.

I think no matter what happens, the ACC championship for us is going to go through Syracuse. I don't see them losing to Virginia or UNC, so I think if we have plans on the ACC championship, there's going to be a round 3 with the Orangemen. The only caveat is that as a #4 seed, probably playing against the #5 seed in a team like Pitt or Clemson could be a rough first game to start the weekend, so I totally agree, we want the #2 or #3 seed if at all possible. I actually we prefer a matchup against Syracuse than Virginia. I think we match up better vs. Syracuse to be honest, and no team in the country has a better handle on how to attack that Syracuse zone than us. Virginia's defense is much more scary in my opinion, and we've only seen it once. They could easily stump us on a neutral floor with something we haven't seen.

Troublemaker
02-24-2014, 12:41 PM
I think if we win out and then win the ACC tournament, we'll get the #1 seed over Syracuse. But ultimately we aren't getting the #1 seed without winning the ACC tournament. So what Syracuse does between now and then doesn't make all that much of a difference.

I would feel better if Syracuse got some more losses on their record, though. For example, there's the unlikely possibility that Syracuse finishes the regular season 16-2 and loses in the ACC tournament to a team other than Duke to finish with 3 losses. Even if Duke wins the ACC tournament under that scenario, Syracuse almost certainly gets the 1 seed over us because we split with them and they have half the amount of losses.

Oriole Way
02-24-2014, 05:21 PM
I think no matter what happens, the ACC championship for us is going to go through Syracuse. I don't see them losing to Virginia or UNC, so I think if we have plans on the ACC championship, there's going to be a round 3 with the Orangemen. The only caveat is that as a #4 seed, probably playing against the #5 seed in a team like Pitt or Clemson could be a rough first game to start the weekend, so I totally agree, we want the #2 or #3 seed if at all possible. I actually we prefer a matchup against Syracuse than Virginia. I think we match up better vs. Syracuse to be honest, and no team in the country has a better handle on how to attack that Syracuse zone than us. Virginia's defense is much more scary in my opinion, and we've only seen it once. They could easily stump us on a neutral floor with something we haven't seen.

I see them potentially losing to both, and it could easily happen. I think Virginia is the better team. UNC is red hot right now.

Syracuse was extremely lucky to go undefeated for so long. Their loss to us could/should have been their 4th loss in a row. And it could have been their 5th loss overall if you include the first game we lost to them, which we should have won had it not been for several awful officiating calls. The NC State game was a travesty, and they got extremely lucky beating Pitt with a miracle shot that Jamie Dixon helped set up by taking a terrible timeout.

Here is a Turtle
02-24-2014, 06:58 PM
I see them potentially losing to both, and it could easily happen. I think Virginia is the better team. UNC is red hot right now.

Syracuse was extremely lucky to go undefeated for so long. Their loss to us could/should have been their 4th loss in a row. And it could have been their 5th loss overall if you include the first game we lost to them, which we should have won had it not been for several awful officiating calls. The NC State game was a travesty, and they got extremely lucky beating Pitt with a miracle shot that Jamie Dixon helped set up by taking a terrible timeout.

I think it will be a close competitive game. This is probably the only top 5 team we get at Comcast all season so I expect it to be rocking. They're breaking out the gold unis so that can be good. I think Maryland wins by 2 or 3. Something like 65-62.

Duvall
02-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Maryland isn't good enough to win this game without a lot of help from Syracuse.

Here is a Turtle
02-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Maryland isn't good enough to win this game without a lot of help from Syracuse.

If Maryland can cut down on the turnovers, they have a chance. It's hard to win if you're turning the ball over every other possession. TO be down just 8 is rather shocking.

superdave
02-24-2014, 08:08 PM
Cheering for Cuse to win big. Enjoy the Big10, Terps

Here is a Turtle
02-24-2014, 08:12 PM
Cheering for Cuse to win big. Enjoy the Big10, Terps

We plan to. :D

Duvall
02-24-2014, 08:38 PM
At this point I'm just impressed by the *variety* of Maryland's turnovers.

Duvall
02-24-2014, 08:44 PM
You know, with Jeremi Grant hurt Syracuse just isn't very good.

duke96
02-24-2014, 08:45 PM
CJ Fair is so dang good. What a stud.

Duvall
02-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Ah, the 'Cuse Horseshoe is back.

jimrowe0
02-24-2014, 08:52 PM
Here we go again, cuse throwing the game

OldPhiKap
02-24-2014, 08:52 PM
{g} just fouled out, 1 minute to go. Hmmmm. . . .

moonpie23
02-24-2014, 08:53 PM
silent G just went silent

FerryFor50
02-24-2014, 08:53 PM
I cannot pull for Syracuse, in any way, shape, or form. They are the new Maryland in my eyes. Irrational fans who feel entitled to special treatment because they are some sort of basketball juggernaut. I've said it before. Knowing SU fans all my life, they are insufferable.

They so badly want respect and everything to go their way that when they don't think it does go their way, the whole country is in some sort of grand conspiracy against them. Que ESPN and the NCAA referees as responsible. I've already received texts complaining, because Duke is going to be ranked higher than Syracuse this week. The sole reason is because Duke has 6 losses and that's not fair! If the shoe were on the other foot, Syracuse would be ranked 15th or worse.

It honestly will never end with them. So as much as I hate to say these words, go Terps!

The difference between Maryland and Syracuse is that Syracuse actually IS a basketball juggernaut. :)

FerryFor50
02-24-2014, 08:54 PM
Maryland gets all the calls...

moonpie23
02-24-2014, 08:54 PM
56-55 with 27.6 to go....

Utley
02-24-2014, 08:55 PM
Crazy last couple of minutes

jimrowe0
02-24-2014, 08:56 PM
Why no timeout there turtles

Bluedog
02-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Why no timeout there turtles

They thought they had an opportunity in transition? But really did not....

moonpie23
02-24-2014, 08:57 PM
md with a great opp, decides to order pizza instead..

duke96
02-24-2014, 08:58 PM
Good lord call a timeout there Turgeon. So lame.

jimrowe0
02-24-2014, 08:59 PM
They were going 2 on 3, take the timeout and draw up a play

sleepybear
02-24-2014, 09:00 PM
I'm not sure who to root for here. Come on overtime!

jimrowe0
02-24-2014, 09:01 PM
3.5 secs left down by 2 for the Terps

FerryFor50
02-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Cuse wins. Another team wets the bed at the end of a Syracuse game.

Cuse will be in big trouble in Charlottesville.

jimrowe0
02-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Syracuse with another lucky win, both nc state and Maryland made poor plays at the end of the game to give cuse the win

Furniture
02-24-2014, 09:05 PM
Lucky buggers.
I was rooting for Maryland. I just don't like Boeheim.

devildeac
02-24-2014, 09:10 PM
Maryland got plenty of favorable calls tonight, but after watching the replay of the drive on their second to last possession, I thought their player got fouled twice, once with the body and once on the arm.

Here is a Turtle
02-24-2014, 09:12 PM
This is the fourth time this season this Maryland team was within four points of a ranked team and lost. I'll always remember this season as close, but not close enough.

UConn - lost by 78-77
Pitt - lost 83-79
Duke - lost 69-67
Cuse - lost 57-55

This team has disappointed, but this has been the status quo this year. Get up for ranked teams, but not make enough plays down the stretch.

FerryFor50
02-24-2014, 09:12 PM
Maryland got plenty of favorable calls tonight, but after watching the replay of the drive on their second to last possession, I thought their player got fouled twice, once with the body and once on the arm.

Worst call of the year. :p

Why didn't Boeheim go ballistic over it?

roywhite
02-24-2014, 09:15 PM
I was very impressed when Syracuse stretched it out to a double-digit lead in the second half, and seemed to have the game in hand. But, somehow they came close to losing.

Overall impression -- Syracuse is good, but not great, and don't seem to be improving. They're vulnerable.

FerryFor50
02-24-2014, 09:17 PM
This is the fourth time this season this Maryland team was within four points of a ranked team and lost. I'll always remember this season as close, but not close enough.

UConn - lost by 78-77
Pitt - lost 83-79
Duke - lost 69-67
Cuse - lost 57-55

This team has disappointed, but this has been the status quo this year. Get up for ranked teams, but not make enough plays down the stretch.

Maryland's bigger issue is that they have shown the ability to play top teams close. But they lose the games they should have won.

Bad losses (or games they should have won):

NCSU
Boston U
Oregon St
GW
FSU

They win those games, they are 20-7 and in the NCAA discussion.

erc128
02-24-2014, 09:22 PM
Syracuse will be in for a world of hurt in Charlottesville

Here is a Turtle
02-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Maryland's bigger issue is that they have shown the ability to play top teams close. But they lose the games they should have won.

Bad losses (or games they should have won):

NCSU
Boston U
Oregon St
GW
FSU

They win those games, they are 20-7 and in the NCAA discussion.

There is no excuse for losing Oregon St, Boston, or NCSU. FSU had a once in a lifetime night. GW has a good squad this year, but even then, Maryland should have won that handily. They cut a 15 point lead down to take the lead in 4 minutes with a full court press. I'm still livid about that. That was a top 50 rpi win that could have helped. NCSU was even worse.

To say this team was disappointing is an understatement. The only positive is the recruiting class coming in, but relying on freshman is never a good plan.

FerryFor50
02-24-2014, 09:31 PM
There is no excuse for losing Oregon St, Boston, or NCSU. FSU had a once in a lifetime night. GW has a good squad this year, but even then, Maryland should have won that handily. They cut a 15 point lead down to take the lead in 4 minutes with a full court press. I'm still livid about that. That was a top 50 rpi win that could have helped. NCSU was even worse.

To say this team was disappointing is an understatement. The only positive is the recruiting class coming in, but relying on freshman is never a good plan.

As a Maryland hater, I relish in your pain. :p

Here is a Turtle
02-24-2014, 09:37 PM
It's fair to relish. If that Charles Mitchell shot fell in, I'd be relishing in the responses on the site too. But this might be the most disappointing team since 2005.

I'm just going to hope the lacrosse team makes up for it on Saturday. ;)
Hopefully that gets put on ESPN 3 at least. #1 vs #2.

FerryFor50
02-24-2014, 09:41 PM
It's fair to relish. If that Charles Mitchell shot fell in, I'd be relishing in the responses on the site too. But this might be the most disappointing team since 2005.

Not on the Ocho?

DukeDevil
02-24-2014, 10:07 PM
Syracuse fans are ticked off because Turgeon was WAYYYY out onto the court on several occasions and never slapped with a T. to be fair to them, here's a screenshot...it was in the middle of a play.

although...what's the saying? Hands down man down? Maybe he didn't think he counted...

Duvall
02-24-2014, 10:09 PM
Syracuse fans are ticked off because Turgeon was WAYYYY out onto the court on several occasions and never slapped with a T. to be fair to them, here's a screenshot...it was in the middle of a play.

although...what's the saying? Hands down man down? Maybe he didn't think he counted...

Yeah, I don't know how Turgeon hopes to get a deflection with that stance.

FerryFor50
02-24-2014, 10:11 PM

Syracuse fans do realize that Boeheim's tech was more for screaming obscenities at the ref after a call than for being on the court, right?

brevity
02-24-2014, 10:15 PM

In Coach Turgeon's defense, he thought there were still 10 seconds left in the game, not 4.

OldPhiKap
02-24-2014, 10:46 PM
All kidding aside, and I realize that JB dogging the refs was the main issue -- JB was on the court at a dead ball, MT was on the court during play. Turgeon gets away with that a lot.

FerryFor50
02-24-2014, 10:46 PM
All kidding aside, and I realize that JB dogging the refs was the main issue -- JB was on the court at a dead ball, MT was on the court during play. Turgeon gets away with that a lot.

A lot of coaches do. Roy included.

Atlanta Duke
02-24-2014, 11:06 PM
Worst call of the year. :p

Why didn't Boeheim go ballistic over it?

I guess he knew Turgeon would handle it in the post-game press conference:)

“I thought Nick got fouled and I think the replay showed that, but it’s been that kind of year for us,” Turgeon said. “They didn’t call it and they win the game.”

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/ncaa-maryland-terps/boeheim-turgeon-trade-verbal-jabs-about-officiating

JB had other concerns about the officiating tonight, as well as an observation on the proximate cause of Maryland's loss

“Well, first of all, let me just tell you this,” Boeheim said, teeing up his comment. “They shot 27 free throws. If anybody is going to complain about the officiating, I’m going to complain. And I think I did enough of that Saturday.”...

“They didn’t turn it over 18 times, they wouldn’t have had to worry about that.”

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/ncaa-maryland-terps/boeheim-turgeon-trade-verbal-jabs-about-officiating

FerryFor50
02-24-2014, 11:09 PM
I guess he knew Turgeon would handle it in the post-game press conference:)

“I thought Nick got fouled and I think the replay showed that, but it’s been that kind of year for us,” Turgeon said. “They didn’t call it and they win the game.”

JB had other concerns about the officiating tonight, as well as an observation on the proximate cause of Maryland's loss

“Well, first of all, let me just tell you this,” Boeheim said, teeing up his comment. “They shot 27 free throws. If anybody is going to complain about the officiating, I’m going to complain. And I think I did enough of that Saturday.”...

“They didn’t turn it over 18 times, they wouldn’t have had to worry about that.”

Two games in a row whining about officiating. Likely still no league action.

Don't you have to have tenure in the ACC to get away with that stuff?

DukeDevil
02-24-2014, 11:12 PM
I gotta say...I know the league didn't bring up any extra punishment for JB with regard to his comments...but they need to get a reign in on all the coaches complaining about the calls in the post-games. I think it sends a bad message. I don't think the league, coaches, and refs should all be at odds with each other. Even if you disagree with the call, just drop it and if you have a serious issue file a complaint with the league behind the scenes, don't bring it up with the press. Obviously we all have a Duke bias here but the way K handled that hood foul on the dunk attempt (and I'll be honest, I felt it was a clear foul at the time but the more I watch it, the more I can see that it could have gone either way) was just all class. Don't make it about that one call or one play. That diminshes all the work and effort your team put in for the other 39 minutes and 59 seconds.

Furniture
02-24-2014, 11:18 PM
Syracuse fans do realize that Boeheim's tech was more for screaming obscenities at the ref after a call than for being on the court, right?

What wrong with advising the ref about Bojangles?

DukeDevil
02-24-2014, 11:20 PM
What wrong with advising the ref about Bojangles?

that vine someone put together with "that's bojangles" went through my head EVERY time they played his blowup on ESPN

Newton_14
02-24-2014, 11:29 PM

It is surprising to be honest. Maybe they bridged his time and consider him a 35+ year ACC coach or something. :)

My sister and brother-in-law stopped by tonight for awhile and we watched most of the game but turned it with about 5 minutes or left and I think Cuse was up 10 or 12 at that time so I assumed it was over.

Had no idea Maryland came back and there was another controversial call until I saw this thread. Have not seen a replay yet.

I do feel the ACC needs to put a stop to JB's deragatory comments about ref's and especially comments against the ACC. This is twice he has made disparaging comments about the ACC. That needs to stop.

Atlanta Duke
02-24-2014, 11:46 PM

The beauty part will be if they fine or reprimand Turgeon but not Boeheim

FerryFor50
02-24-2014, 11:48 PM

A going away present?

FerryFor50
02-24-2014, 11:51 PM
It is surprising to be honest. Maybe they bridged his time and consider him a 35+ year ACC coach or something. :)

My sister and brother-in-law stopped by tonight for awhile and we watched most of the game but turned it with about 5 minutes or left and I think Cuse was up 10 or 12 at that time so I assumed it was over.

Had no idea Maryland came back and there was another controversial call until I saw this thread. Have not seen a replay yet.

I do feel the ACC needs to put a stop to JB's deragatory comments about ref's and especially comments against the ACC. This is twice he has made disparaging comments about the ACC. That needs to stop.

Eh, the call wasn't THAT controversial. Borderline, but definitely some contact. But I feel like Keita had position.

Blame Maryland for putting up a bad shot attempt and not settling down and getting a better shot.

dukelifer
02-25-2014, 06:42 AM
Eh, the call wasn't THAT controversial. Borderline, but definitely some contact. But I feel like Keita had position.

Blame Maryland for putting up a bad shot attempt and not settling down and getting a better shot.

They seemed to be rushing the play- not sure why. There was contact but it seemed that the MD player initiated.

OldPhiKap
02-25-2014, 07:28 AM

I always wondered what the exit fee for the coach was . . . .

duke96
02-25-2014, 08:01 AM

He should be fined for not calling a timeout on that play.

Bluedog
02-25-2014, 08:56 AM

Seriously, I thought it was an automatic fine from the league if you complain about officials in the post-game based on past occurrences, but maybe that's no longer the case or they give some coaches slack. After the game at 'Cuse, when a reporter asked Hood, "Did you think you got fouled on that dunk?" he replied, "No comment. I don't want to get in trouble." Coach K also purposefully deflected those questions by saying "This game is too good to talk about one play," Krzyzewski said. "I'm not going there at all." CJ Fair and Boeheim on the other hand...

MCFinARL
02-25-2014, 09:27 AM

Sadly, it looks like the lax match-up--which should be a great game--is only on Terps TV live streaming, which appears to be a subscription service.

Turtle, you might well be disappointed in your team--a lot of talent, a fair amount of grit, but some poor decision making and carelessness with the ball. They should be better than they have been.

A lot of coaches do. Roy included.

And Jamie Dixon, who seems to spend more time on the court than a lot of his players.

Maybe there is a "grace period" for new teams to adjust to the more genteel standards of ACC postgame comments. But I never realized until now how much I appreciate Coach K's going out of his way to respect the competition in postgame press conferences, even after blowout wins. Save your fire for the games; practice graciousness afterwards.

The quoted material didn't even get to the best part, where Boeheim says, "Don't complain about that call. Are you kidding me?" Talk about the pot and the kettle. It's too bad, in a way, that Maryland is leaving just as Syracuse is coming--that could be an annual whinefest for the ages.

Channing
02-25-2014, 09:38 AM
He should be fined for not calling a timeout on that play.

I have no problem with not calling a time out. Turgeon trusted his players to make a play going to the basket. Call a timeout and you give SU a chance to set their zone. Faust/Wells didn't make a good play, but I thought it was the right strategy at the time.

Here is a Turtle
02-25-2014, 12:44 PM
Sadly, it looks like the lax match-up--which should be a great game--is only on Terps TV live streaming, which appears to be a subscription service.

Turtle, you might well be disappointed in your team--a lot of talent, a fair amount of grit, but some poor decision making and carelessness with the ball. They should be better than they have been.

And Jamie Dixon, who seems to spend more time on the court than a lot of his players.

Maybe there is a "grace period" for new teams to adjust to the more genteel standards of ACC postgame comments. But I never realized until now how much I appreciate Coach K's going out of his way to respect the competition in postgame press conferences, even after blowout wins. Save your fire for the games; practice graciousness afterwards.

The quoted material didn't even get to the best part, where Boeheim says, "Don't complain about that call. Are you kidding me?" Talk about the pot and the kettle. It's too bad, in a way, that Maryland is leaving just as Syracuse is coming--that could be an annual whinefest for the ages.

Senior leadership will help this team a lot next year (no scholarship seniors this year). Having the second best recruiting class in the Big Ten helps too I suppose if they pan out. Turgeon playing te reruiting game was a nice change, albeit Gary did pick up Justin Anderson somehow before he swapped to UVA). But this year has been a huge disappointment. They win the games they are supposed to (someone posted a list of the losses they should not have had) this is an entirely different conversation, something like 20-7. The fact that they have dropped so many games against top competition and had so many headscratchers (BU, FSU) is kinda crazy.

As for the lacrosse game, the Maryland/Syracuse game was supposed to be on Cuse's subscription service but at the last minute, ESPN 3 decided to broadcast it. It's possible the same thing could happen this week. I plan on going to the game regardless though. It should be a great one with a good crowd.

And the ACC needs to reprimand Boeheim ASAP. His complaining is getting grating. You're in the ACC now. Stop complaining about it. I'm sure Kevin Ollie and UConn would love to be in your spot instead of the AAC.

rocketeli
02-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Boeheim will get reprimanded after he complains about the officiating after a UNC game.

FerryFor50
02-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Boeheim will get reprimanded after he complains about the officiating after a UNC game.

Didn't need to this year. They soundly whipped them and only play them once.

There's always next year!

MCFinARL
02-25-2014, 02:35 PM
And the ACC needs to reprimand Boeheim ASAP. His complaining is getting grating. You're in the ACC now. Stop complaining about it. I'm sure Kevin Ollie and UConn would love to be in your spot instead of the AAC.

Amen to this!

calltheobvious
02-26-2014, 10:38 AM

Pretty rich for a team that's 225th in the country in turnovers to complain about the officiating. It's a well-established law of basketball that when you give up 13 of your own possessions every game before giving your opponents a chance to foul, you're probably going to foul more than your opponents. Combine this with (as JDK notes) not being very well coached to begin with, and you're going to see a significant foul disparity.

Just go away.