PDA

View Full Version : Saturday's anthem

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-23-2014, 02:11 PM
Especially good! It was sung in a key that most everybody could handle for once and the entire crowd responded by joining in with gusto. A beautiful thing. Wouldn't it be terrific (and I'm sure appreciated by a patriotic Coach K) if Cameron were the one venue in the country where that happened often?
Love, Ima

orrnot
02-23-2014, 03:19 PM
I really like hearing the crowd sing, but NOT when a soloist or group has been invited to sing the anthem. I think it's rude to overshadow and potentially distract someone who has been invited to offer their gift to the fans. I would be quite pleased to see several occasions set aside for a group sing, and if those required a willing "leader" then I think that would be fine. Meanwhile, I hope that the singers are aware, or warned, that they'll have accompaniment.

TobaMom
02-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Perhaps I am out of line, but I believe that the singing of the national anthem is a privilege and is the one performance that is NOT about the singer in any way. If they feel they are above the anthem we sing in honor of and delight in our nation, they should decline. I think it would be fantastic for Cameron to be known as a place where everyone sings.

devil84
02-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Given that many groups are comprised of students (e.g., the Pitchforks), I don't think it's any surprise.

Normally I'd agree and say that singing along with the soloist/group is rude. But I kind of enjoy a new tradition of Cameron having the performer(s) become the song leader. Cameron can be participatory in the National Anthem, but without the "O," without shouting one of the words that matches a school color/theme, without substituting "home of the brave" with the school mascot, etc. Respectful to the purpose of the anthem, not co-opting it as a school fight song.

uh_no
02-23-2014, 03:34 PM
I really like hearing the crowd sing, but NOT when a soloist or group has been invited to sing the anthem. I think it's rude to overshadow and potentially distract someone who has been invited to offer their gift to the fans. I would be quite pleased to see several occasions set aside for a group sing, and if those required a willing "leader" then I think that would be fine. Meanwhile, I hope that the singers are aware, or warned, that they'll have accompaniment.

It's the national anthem...not a concert...it's about the US, and those that have defended and love it. it is NOT about the singer, as some performers seem to believe.

If the performer can't handle people singing along, and thus making it more about the message rather than the messenger, then perhaps we should find a different singer.

People often feel compelled to say the words, and telling them they can't is unacceptable, in my opinion. If we want to warn the performers, sure...but I don't think we should deter the audience from expressing their patriotism.

Native
02-23-2014, 03:49 PM
Especially good! It was sung in a key that most everybody could handle for once and the entire crowd responded by joining in with gusto. A beautiful thing. Wouldn't it be terrific (and I'm sure appreciated by a patriotic Coach K) if Cameron were the one venue in the country where that happened often?
Love, Ima

To be fair, the Dean Dump did sing it together last Thursday. But, yeah, it would be awesome if the crowd would start consistently doing this, IMO.

orrnot
02-23-2014, 03:56 PM
As a Duke fan, I can handle being in a minority. For the same reason, it's hard to admit being wrong. I'll weasel a bit and say I'm cool with it as long as the singers know it's coming. I do think it would be nice sometimes to leave out the leadership entirely, and have the crowd do it alone.

weezie
02-23-2014, 04:01 PM
Love, Ima

Read my mind! How great would it be for that to be OUR THING?!
Let's all sing and sing loud!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-23-2014, 06:46 PM
It helps to create crowd participation if the announcer invites the crowd to join in the singing.... as used to be done for each such performance years ago and is done sometimes now.... like last night.

The national anthem is for all of us to sing when it's played.

I would also like to see more people in attendance join in by observing some basic public protocol when the national anthem is performed.... stop talking, stand where you are instead of continuing walking to your seat, take off your hats or caps, put your right hand over your heart. We've done better at all of this recently. Anyone who's unsure about any aspect of this ......such as how to place you hand over your heart, for example..... just observe Coach K.

75Crazie
02-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Quote of the week.

I just cannot fathom anybody raising a complaint about people joining in to sing the national anthem ... I don't care who is singing or what is playing. And I'm an America-bashing, liberty-hating liberal.

DU82
02-23-2014, 07:08 PM
IIRC, last night's singer has performed the anthem at games before, and may have known/encouraged the crowd to join her. (Is she a student?)

Her performance was straight-forward and without frills (that is a big complement) and easy to join in. Also, on pitch. And, lastly, in 3/4, rather than some singer's 4/4 (which is just wrong, other than Whitney Houston's Super Bowl version.)

Frances Redding always "led" the anthem rather than just performed it. She's also one of the few sing while the band played. (Of course, for years she kept slowing down, challenging the band to either slow down with her or be out of sync, but her performance earlier this season was spot on.)

weezie
02-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Quote of the week.

I just cannot fathom anybody raising a complaint about people joining in to sing the national anthem ... I don't care who is singing or what is playing. And I'm an America-bashing, liberty-hating liberal.

I'll bet you get all the calls, too. :cool:

jv001
02-24-2014, 08:18 AM
It helps to create crowd participation if the announcer invites the crowd to join in the singing.... as used to be done for each such performance years ago and is done sometimes now.... like last night.

I would also like to see more people in attendance join in by observing some basic public protocol when the national anthem is performed.... stop talking, stand where you are instead of continuing walking to your seat, take off your hats or caps, put your right hand over your heart. We've done better at all of this recently. Anyone who's unsure about any aspect of this ......such as how to place you hand over your heart, for example..... just observe Coach K.

You said this way better than I could ever say it. The song is about our country the good old USA. I know the USA is not perfect. No country or person is. Well there was one person and He's doing intercessory work for me these days. There have been many service men and women that paid the price for our freedom. So, observing our National Anthem for a few minutes is not too much to ask of any US citizen. Well spoken Lady in that Beautiful Blue Dress. GoDuke!

DukieInKansas
02-24-2014, 09:40 AM
I've always thought whoever was "singing" the national anthem was there to lead the crowd because, face it, to get a large crowd to sing the anthem together, somewhat on key, in the same tempo would be almost impossible without a leader. As stated above - the announcer could say "Ladies and Gentlemen, please rise to honor our nation in the singing of our national anthem, lead by Miss Wonderful Singer". All workers at the venue should stop where they are, place their hand over their heart, and sing along. I occasionally would volunteer at Royals Stadium concession stands and our instructions were to stop serving when the national anthem started.

I always sing along when the national anthem is sung before whatever game/event I'm attending. Don't care what the people beside me think. I use to sneak into the movies on Yong-san and the national anthem was always played before the movie started. I kind of miss that - especially waiting to see who would drop their popcorn. Someone almost always did - even though we all knew the anthem was coming.

andyw715
02-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Given that many groups are comprised of students (e.g., the Pitchforks), I don't think it's any surprise.

Normally I'd agree and say that singing along with the soloist/group is rude. But I kind of enjoy a new tradition of Cameron having the performer(s) become the song leader. Cameron can be participatory in the National Anthem, but without the "O," without shouting one of the words that matches a school color/theme, without substituting "home of the brave" with the school mascot, etc. Respectful to the purpose of the anthem, not co-opting it as a school fight song.

Some idiot (happened to be a Syracuse fan) sitting 2 seats down from me did the "O" thing. SMH. Facepalm.

-Andy (a Cuse fan but not an idiot ;) )

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-24-2014, 11:17 AM
Some idiot (happened to be a Syracuse fan) sitting 2 seats down from me did the "O" thing. SMH. Facepalm.

-Andy (a Cuse fan but not an idiot ;) )

If the rest of us sing with enough gusto, the visitors' O will be neutralized.

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Let's face it. Finding a key for a crowd singing in unison is nearly impossible since the dang song has range too difficult for the average person. I believe most folks just mumble along to avoid embarrassment. I don't know what key the singer used on Saturday, but it was the right one. Most everybody felt comfortable and it showed. Wish somebody could find out. I think the key was the key! It could be that simple.

Love, Ima
PS Don't get me started on all the reasons why "My Country 'Tis of Thee" or "America the Beautiful" should be our anthem. After all, what did the nation gravitate to after 9/11? It wasn't the one about asking Jose if he could see.

-jk
02-24-2014, 01:24 PM
I always thought it was supposed to be sung in 9314 slightly different keys...

-jk

DukieInKansas
02-24-2014, 03:02 PM
I always thought it was supposed to be sung in 9314 slightly different keys...

-jk

And I remember it as 8,814 slightly different keys. But I was BR (before renovation).

lmb
02-24-2014, 03:22 PM
I had a new experience a week ago. We went to our local high school's tournament basketball game last week. The team huddled together and sang the anthem. I had a mixed reaction. When I first realized they were going to do it, I thought it was a really cool idea. When they opened their mouths and began, I wasn't so sure:D

The part that bothered me wasn't their mediocre singing. I would have been okay with bad singing if they had just put some heart into it. They were pretty quiet and half-hearted as if they were embarassed. If you're going to sing the anthem, you gotta go all out.

andyw715
02-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Anything is better than that abomination at the NASCAR race at Daytona on Saturday.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/2/22/5436926/2014-daytona-500-madison-rising-national-anthem-nascar-nationwide-series

DukieInKansas
02-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Anything is better than that abomination at the NASCAR race at Daytona on Saturday.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/2/22/5436926/2014-daytona-500-madison-rising-national-anthem-nascar-nationwide-series

I heard that one compared to Roseanne Barr. I think it is a tie for worst version/rendition ever.

thewoosh31
02-24-2014, 05:10 PM
IIRC, last night's singer has performed the anthem at games before, and may have known/encouraged the crowd to join her. (Is she a student?)

Her performance was straight-forward and without frills (that is a big complement) and easy to join in. Also, on pitch. And, lastly, in 3/4, rather than some singer's 4/4 (which is just wrong, other than Whitney Houston's Super Bowl version.)

Frances Redding always "led" the anthem rather than just performed it. She's also one of the few sing while the band played. (Of course, for years she kept slowing down, challenging the band to either slow down with her or be out of sync, but her performance earlier this season was spot on.)

My friend, Kristin, sang the anthem at the game on Saturday and she was stoked that the crowd joined in with her.

"AWWWWW!! It was AMAZING how everyone was singing along. I could barely hear myself!" - from her Facebook.

She sings at Cameron 2x a year. I believe she used to work at Duke awhile back and has now just returned to NC from DC. She's a hardcore fan of the team.