PDA

View Full Version : Why ESPN & social media love/hate Duke

devilnfla
02-23-2014, 09:10 AM
Duke moves the meter.

If you're not a fan, then you watch or read about how bad Duke is and how they were given the game by the refs. No other men's college basketball team can do this year in and year out. It sells!

Duke Basketball = Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees and Notre Dame Football.

I believe both Jay's understand this and are not as concerned about showing their bias as many believe. I'm sure they've been coached up in Bristol that this is best for their careers. Of course Stuart Scott and Scott Vanpelt didn't need any help getting the ESPN message.

devilnfla
02-23-2014, 09:35 AM
More proof....leading story on ESPN Sports Reporters.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-23-2014, 09:39 AM
Duke moves the meter.

If you're not a fan, then you watch or read about how bad Duke is and how they were given the game by the refs. No other men's college basketball team can do this year in and year out. It sells!

Duke Basketball = Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees and Notre Dame Football.

I believe both Jay's understand this and are not as concerned about showing their bias as many believe. I'm sure they've been coached up in Bristol that this is best for their careers. Of course Stuart Scott and Scott Vanpelt didn't need any help getting the ESPN message.

So, you are a Colin Cowherd fan? This is his schtick. He boils everything down to markets and TV ratings, taking all enjoyment out of sports.

devilnfla
02-23-2014, 10:03 AM
So, you are a Colin Cowherd fan? This is his schtick. He boils everything down to markets and TV ratings, taking all enjoyment out of sports.

While it may be Cowherd's opinion, it's also mine.

I believe the evidence is pretty strong. Regionally you have the abc'ers, well Duke is that on a lot larger scale. I travel a lot across the country. It's unbelievable how many comments I get when people find out I'm a Duke fan. Regarding Cowherd's schtik, ratings also prove that Duke moves the meter.

I can't tell you how many college fb fans I work with here in Florida. They've made numerous comments about how the first Duke/SU game was the first regular season game they had watched in
years. Since then, they've tuned into Duke/Maryland, Duke/UNC and were planning on watching round 2 last night. I received a bunch of
in game text and post game text confirming they tuned in. The common theme of those games? Duke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-23-2014, 11:41 AM
So... I don't understand your point. Duke basketball is popular? I think we all know that.

Please, elaborate.

devilnfla
02-23-2014, 03:09 PM
So... I don't understand your point. Duke basketball is popular? I think we all know that.

Please, elaborate.

That Duke is the most popular (love/hate) team and therefore ESPN plays off of it. Explaining why they overdue it with the criticism, because Duke draws a bigger audience. The haters feed off of it which keeps them tuned in. Duke moves the meter.

Take UNC for example. One of the best programs ever, right up there with Duke. ESPN has had several opportunities this year alone to throw darts at that program. Plenty of times they could have led off with stories on the Sports Reporters (like they did with Duke today) on the the academic scandals, PJ issues or Tammy Hansbrough but don't think they've capitalized on it. Why is that? IMO, it's because that program doesn't move the meter like Duke does.

So my point is for those who get angry with the likes of ESPN and other social media outlets about the bias shown against Duke (Terping), just remember, our beloved program is relevant in a way that no other college men's basketball program is.