PDA

View Full Version : MLax: Duke 9, Penn 6

burnspbesq
02-21-2014, 06:22 PM
The Quakers, ranked around number 11 in the Inside Lacrosse Face-Off Yearbook, open their season at Koskinen tonight.

Their best player, senior defender Maxx Meier, will probably draw the assignment on Jordan Wolf. It will be important for the Blue Devils to limit midfielder Zach Losko, a 20-goal scorer last year.

This series could hardly have been closer over the last four seasons, as Matt aka Hoya Suxa noted in a pregame post on collegecrosse.com this morning.

http://www.collegecrosse.com/2014/2/20/5430562/duke-lacrosse-penn-pennsylvania-lax-blue-devils-quakers-series-philadelphia-durham

burnspbesq
02-21-2014, 06:25 PM
From Ryan Flanagan's IL piece on the nation's top defenders:

He’s back. A first-team All-American in 2007, Carroll was one of the top defensemen in the country when I was a senior in high school.

Go Casey Go! Make all us old guys proud!

burnspbesq
02-21-2014, 07:35 PM
All four goals from the attack. Duke has been really sloppy: blown clears and unforced turnovers galore. Aaron started in goal, and he is dialed in so far.

Bob Green
02-21-2014, 07:35 PM
End of 1st Quarter, Duke up on Penn 4-2. Penn has a lot more shots on goal and it seems the ball stayed at the Quakers end of the field most of the time. I wish I understood all the rules and nuances of this game because it sure is exciting to watch.

burnspbesq
02-21-2014, 08:04 PM
Quakers get the only goal of the quarter with :10 left. Dailey forgot he's playing with a toothpick, and left his guy with hands free off a skip pass. Nothing Aaron could do about it.

Duke has a half season's worth of blown clears.

Indoor66
02-21-2014, 08:34 PM
End of 3 - Duke 7 - 4

Bob Green
02-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Final Score: Duke 9, Penn 6. We improve to 3-0 on the season!

burnspbesq
02-21-2014, 09:14 PM
Solid defensive performance. In seven quarters of work, Aaron has a save percentage over 60%. Nice transition goal by Hipps, dodging to his left hand and beating Feeney (who was seriously locked in all night) stick-side low.

No goals from the offensive midfielders; Penn slid early all night, and only Keenan was able to consistently beat his man.

Saw something I've never seen in 40 years of playing and watching lacrosse: an offensive player with the ball in his stick called for a penalty. They got Myles on a clear attempt for unnecessary roughness, for dropping his shoulder and blowing a pint-sized Penn attackman into the middle of next week.

Not a work of art, but Duke opens 3-0 for the first time since 2008. Stony Brook up next on Sunday.

DST Fan
02-22-2014, 08:27 AM
Against Penn, Brendan Fowler won 14 of 19 faceoffs and had 8 groundballs. For the year, he is 48-74 on faceoffs and has 33 GBs. He certainly gives the team a nice possession advantage.

Has anyone heard an update on Henry Lobb?

burnspbesq
02-22-2014, 08:51 AM
Against Penn, Brendan Fowler won 14 of 19 faceoffs and had 8 groundballs. For the year, he is 48-74 on faceoffs and has 33 GBs. He certainly gives the team a nice possession advantage.

Has anyone heard an update on Henry Lobb?

From what was said on last night's broadcast, I expect to see him back by the Loyola game in two weeks.

sagegrouse
02-22-2014, 08:59 AM
Duke's falling down, backwards goal is #3 in the Top Ten on ESPN Sports Center this AM. Checking the box score (https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf9/2645814.pdf?ATCLID=209414084&SPSID=25937&SPID=2027&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200), I believe it was by Jordan Wolf and pushed the score to 5-3.

DST Fan
02-22-2014, 09:13 AM
From what was said on last night's broadcast, I expect to see him back by the Loyola game in two weeks.

What is your take on this year's team? It seems to me that, if a couple of midfielders emerge, this could be a dominant team. The attack can play with anyone, the defense seems stronger than in the last couple of years and Luke Aaron is quite a surprise.

burnspbesq
02-22-2014, 01:28 PM
What is your take on this year's team? It seems to me that, if a couple of midfielders emerge, this could be a dominant team. The attack can play with anyone, the defense seems stronger than in the last couple of years and Luke Aaron is quite a surprise.

So far, so good. Casey Carroll has jumped in the Way-Back Machine and is playing like it's 2007. Ikeda has been excellent in relief of the injured Lobb. Aaron's not a surprise to me; it's in his bloodlines (his older brother was a three-time D3 All-American at Union, and was on a MLL roster last year).

Keenan has been a very pleasant surprise. He did OK as a freshman, but mostly disappeared last year. Chad Cohan has also been a nice surprise in relief of Matheis when he was out injured and on the EMO unit. Dailey has done an outstanding job so far of managing the transition from playing LSM to playing SSDM. Charlie Payton has lived up to expectations as the third guy in the SSDM rotation.

Still waiting for Bruckner and Zenker to live up to their HS press clippings. It's a tough transition for freshmen (remember that as freshmen, Lawson played mostly SSDM and Tripucka didn't play much). If we start to get contributions from them by April, that will be great. Jones and Class are showing us the growth we're hoping for.

The pieces are there. We just have to keep improving over the course of the season.

DST Fan
02-22-2014, 01:47 PM
So far, so good. Casey Carroll has jumped in the Way-Back Machine and is playing like it's 2007. Ikeda has been excellent in relief of the injured Lobb. Aaron's not a surprise to me; it's in his bloodlines (his older brother was a three-time D3 All-American at Union, and was on a MLL roster last year).

Keenan has been a very pleasant surprise. He did OK as a freshman, but mostly disappeared last year. Chad Cohan has also been a nice surprise in relief of Matheis when he was out injured and on the EMO unit. Dailey has done an outstanding job so far of managing the transition from playing LSM to playing SSDM. Charlie Payton has lived up to expectations as the third guy in the SSDM rotation.

Still waiting for Bruckner and Zenker to live up to their HS press clippings. It's a tough transition for freshmen (remember that as freshmen, Lawson played mostly SSDM and Tripucka didn't play much). If we start to get contributions from them by April, that will be great. Jones and Class are showing us the growth we're hoping for.

The pieces are there. We just have to keep improving over the course of the season.

Thanks for the summary. I always look forward to your seeding forecasts in May.

I also am looking forward to driving to College Park for the game next Saturday. It should be another good test. However, although I have been checking, I have not seen an announcement for a tailgate or other event sponsored by the D.C. alumni group. This team deserves support at its road games. The run to the national championship last year was a great ride, probably more improbable than the basketball team's 2010 season and John Danowski is an incredible representative of Duke-- up there with K in my opinion.

wallyman
02-22-2014, 10:04 PM
His play is huge. People forget that Duke won two NCs with mostly mediocore goalie play. Both Wigrizer and Turri made some big saves in key games, but they both had pretty mediocore save to shot ratios. A lot of those early losses in recent years were the result of lousy goalie play. Having a hotshot goalie -- if Aaron keeps this up -- will be huge for this team.