PDA

View Full Version : Doug McDermott Appreciation Thread

luburch
02-19-2014, 10:17 PM
Tonight Doug McDermott passed Elvin Hayes to move into 11th on the NCAA all-time scoring list. He is currently averaging 25.9ppg this season and will likely break 3,000 in the ear future. I've always loved watching Doug play. He has the ability to spot up and shoot, go into the post, and has the best off-ball movement in the country. It's going to be sad to watch him finish up his career.

Here's the list for reference - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_career_ scoring_leadershttp://

Note: It still amazes me how high Maravich, Hayes, Robertson etc., are with only three seasons of play and no three-point line.

Billy Dat
02-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Gotta love McBuckets, especially when you knock him out of the NCAAs.

But seriously, how many guys ever command a quintuple-team? Scroll to the Villanova entry for the animated GIF...classic.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140220/power-rankings-florida-wichita-state-new-1-2/?mobile=no

hurleyfor3
02-20-2014, 01:09 PM
But seriously, how many guys ever command a quintuple-team?

Jimmer Fredette, Larry Bird. Walton? Alcindor? Certainly not a long list.

NashvilleDevil
02-20-2014, 01:19 PM
982 made free throws for Hanstravel that is a travesty.

Channing
02-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Gotta love McBuckets, especially when you knock him out of the NCAAs.

But seriously, how many guys ever command a quintuple-team? Scroll to the Villanova entry for the animated GIF...classic.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140220/power-rankings-florida-wichita-state-new-1-2/?mobile=no

I distinctly remember a Davidson game where the other team was intent on double covering Steph Curry, even at the half court line. He just stood there and Davidson dismantled the opponent by playing 4 on 3 the whole game.

Billy Dat
02-20-2014, 01:59 PM
I distinctly remember a Davidson game where the other team was intent on double covering Steph Curry, even at the half court line. He just stood there and Davidson dismantled the opponent by playing 4 on 3 the whole game.

Yes, Loyola led by coach Jimmy "Gary Disciple and Resident Wacko" Patsos. That same season, Patsos went and sat in the stands when he thought the refs were going to toss him out of the gym. He kind of bragged after the game about shutting down Curry even though he lost by 20+ A classic college coaching character.

kAzE
02-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Good idea to have this thread. McDermott has to be one of the most unheralded all-time great college basketball players in the history of the game. I blame the freshman obsession perpetuated by ESPN . . .

In my opinion, this guy will go down as one of the top 10 college ballers of all time, and he's going be a good NBA player. The worst case scenario for his pro career is his fellow Creighton alum Kyle Korver, but I think he will be better. He won't ever be a great defensive player, but the guy is just an amazing shooter and can score in so many different ways. He's just a great player.

jv001
02-20-2014, 02:04 PM
McDermott is really fun to watch. Very good shooter but is not limited to just that. I wish him well as long as he's not playing our Blue Devils. GoDuke!

Channing
02-20-2014, 02:13 PM
I'm excited to see who has a better career in the NBA ... McDermott or his AAU teammate Harrison Barnes

Mike Corey
02-20-2014, 02:16 PM
The amount of talent that is coming out of the Great Plains right now is impressive.

McDermott is so much fun to watch, and on national TV far too infrequently.

tommy
02-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Good idea to have this thread. McDermott has to be one of the most unheralded all-time great college basketball players in the history of the game. I blame the freshman obsession perpetuated by ESPN . . .

In my opinion, this guy will go down as one of the top 10 college ballers of all time.

He's a fine player, but one of the 10 best college players of all time? Let's not get carried away. Which of the following would you put Doug McDermott ahead of as a college player?

Lew Alcindor
Bill Russell
Bill Walton
Oscar Robertson
Wilt Chamberlain
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Pete Maravich
David Thompson
Ralph Sampson
Elvin Hayes
Jerry West
Danny Manning
Austin Carr
Shaquille O'Neal
Len Bias
Christian Laettner

mgtr
02-20-2014, 02:29 PM
So, how likely that McDermott is national player of the year? He would get my vote.

MChambers
02-20-2014, 02:31 PM
I'm excited to see who has a better career in the NBA ... McDermott or his AAU teammate Harrison Barnes
Don't know about AAU, but they were also high school teammates.

My money would be on McDermott.

vick
02-20-2014, 02:36 PM
He's a fine player, but one of the 10 best college players of all time? Let's not get carried away. Which of the following would you put Doug McDermott ahead of as a college player?

Lew Alcindor
Bill Russell
Bill Walton
Oscar Robertson
Wilt Chamberlain
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Pete Maravich
David Thompson
Ralph Sampson
Elvin Hayes
Jerry West
Danny Manning
Austin Carr
Shaquille O'Neal
Len Bias
Christian Laettner

Well, it's not unfair to give more credit to a 4-year player (or 3-year before freshman eligibility) than a one or two year player, is it?

(Also I would take McDermott and his unselfish play over Maravich and his 44% field goal percentage any day of the week)

Billy Dat
02-20-2014, 02:45 PM
So, how likely that McDermott is national player of the year? He would get my vote.

It's as close to a lock as it gets lest he really fall off and our own Mr. Parker puts up a few 40 point gems, preferably tonight and Saturday.

I think averaging 30 over the last 6 games, including two 39 point efforts, plus leading Creighton to a top 15 ranking, sealed the deal.

Des Esseintes
02-20-2014, 03:14 PM

Lew Alcindor
Bill Russell
Bill Walton
Oscar Robertson
Wilt Chamberlain
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Pete Maravich
David Thompson
Ralph Sampson
Elvin Hayes
Jerry West
Danny Manning
Austin Carr
Shaquille O'Neal
Len Bias
Christian Laettner

Dougie is a fantastic offensive player, and has been supremely skilled on that end for four years. It's truly anomalous. But basketball is played on two ends. To your list, I'd add just from recent vintage and without a great deal of thought beyond ACC country:
Tim Duncan
Shane Battier (seriously, compare their career Win Shares; Shane had a better career)
Beaker...
Shelden Williams (again, seriously, Shelden was as great defensively as McDermott is offensively, and his O was better than Dougie's D; advanced stats back this up)
Jimmer Fredette (how quickly people forget!)
JJ (what JJ did against the best competition in the country is overwhelming, even if his ancillary stats aren't equivalent to McDermott's)

Until this season, Dougie did not regularly compete against the best teams. Are his career numbers truly superior to Paul Millsap's? Nobody is claiming Millsap as in the zip code of all-time top 10.

The above guys all stayed four years. Stephen Curry arguably did more in three than Dougie will have in four, unless Creighton makes a deep tourney run. (Which they very well might.)

superdave
02-20-2014, 05:06 PM

Lew Alcindor
Bill Russell
Bill Walton
Oscar Robertson
Wilt Chamberlain
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Pete Maravich
David Thompson
Ralph Sampson
Elvin Hayes
Jerry West
Danny Manning
Austin Carr
Shaquille O'Neal
Len Bias
Christian Laettner

Not a single one of them. If he makes the Final Four this year, we will talk about McDermott joining the group below the list you have here. He's got to win a National Championship to make this list. I'd park him just below Redick, Hansborough, Wayman Tisdale, Allan Houston, Steph Curry for now.