PDA

View Full Version : Duke's relationships with UNC and Syracuse

Arctic Orange
02-19-2014, 01:38 PM
Someone posted this question on our SU board, I was interested in your take...

You can have one of two results:

1) You beat your hated rivals, the North Carolina Tar Heels, who are having a mediocre season by their standards but lose for a second time this year to the invaders from the North, the Syracuse Orangemen, who waltz out of Cameron with that beautiful 28-0 record and #1 national ranking or...

2) The Heels knock you off get to brag about it but you come back to turn that goose egg at the end of SU's record in to an omelette with a win that tells the world who the bets team in this conference really is.

Which do you take?

http://syracusefan.com/threads/a-question-for-any-lurking-duke-fans.69558/

Native
02-19-2014, 01:43 PM

1) You beat your hated rivals, the North Carolina Tar Heels, who are having a mediocre season by their standards but lose for a second time this year to the invaders from the North, the Syracuse Orangemen, who waltz out of Cameron with that beautiful 28-0 record and #1 national ranking or...

2) The Heels knock you off get to brag about it but you come back to turn that goose egg at the end of SU's record in to an omelette with a win that tells the world who the bets team in this conference really is.

Which do you take?

If there's a gun to my head, I'd rather win against 'Cuse in Cameron if it doesn't preclude us beating UNC in Cameron as well.

vick
02-19-2014, 01:43 PM

Which do you take?

Beating UNC > beating Syracuse, even if they're undefeated.

FerryFor50
02-19-2014, 01:45 PM

Which do you take?

Splitting the season series with Syracuse, who would only have one loss, would not tell anyone who the best in the conference is. It would just show that Duke is potentially as good, which we already know from the game at the Carrier Dome.

And, despite Syracuse being really good, beating them doesn't help Duke out more than in NCAA seeding. Beating UNC always trumps it for me.

Billy Dat
02-19-2014, 01:48 PM
I know a Duke grad wrote, "Sophie's Choice", but can we really not have both?

I don't like the idea of Syracuse beating Duke in Cameron the first time out. That doesn't sit well. It's also a more important game from an NCAA seed perspective.

Of course, losing to UNC anytime is like having a stomach virus on your birthday.

There's no good answer.

devilpadre
02-19-2014, 01:55 PM
I can't imagine anything is better than beating Carolina, especially in the Dean Dome. Remember the three by Rivers.

Li_Duke
02-19-2014, 01:57 PM
To be honest, I'd be ok with coming out 1 for 2 (either one as a loss, but not both). These are the 2 most dangerous games left on our regular season schedule.

royalblue
02-19-2014, 01:58 PM
UNC losing > everything else
It's real simple

hudlow
02-19-2014, 02:00 PM
The rivalry trumps all.

Dev11
02-19-2014, 02:04 PM
Arctic, I think you've got a pretty good idea of the situation here.

GTHC

Arctic Orange
02-19-2014, 02:12 PM
Arctic, I think you've got a pretty good idea of the situation here.

GTHC

lol That's what I kind of expected.

Thanks everyone for your answers!

-bdbd
02-19-2014, 02:17 PM
GTHC, GTH!!

Nothing better than beating Kerlina.

alteran
02-19-2014, 02:19 PM

Which do you take?

Is this a trick question?

I take beating those cheaters from Chapel Hill. Granted, knocking Syracuse down a peg would be fun, but if it's a choice between the two... it's no choice at all.

I understand why you ask, but you poor, sweet, innocent people-- you just don't know. Syracuse is a nice place, but unknown to you guys, chief among it's many fine qualities is that it's 600 miles from Chapel Hill. Trust me, if you lived within 8 miles of these folks, they'd be your arch-rivals, too. You wouldn't dream of asking this question. Hell, NCSU in Raleigh is 20 miles away, and they hate UNC just as much as we do. Just a few weeks living next to the constant sanctimony and entitlement would cure you of circling any other game on your basketball calendar.

Just last year an editor on their student newspaper referred to Durham as essentially a third world country and seriously questioned why there wasn't a border-crossing station between our city and their little egg sack. Hell, just last week their moronic fan base decided that even though the entire city was shut down and was currently being featured on national news as an unmitigated snow disaster, they decided Duke had engaged in some sort of conspiracy to evade playing them, presumably because when their 20,000 seat arena isn't filled with their snoring boosters but with actual college students, it would confer some sort of advantage.

I relish every opportunity to beat these blowhards, and wouldn't trade any of those opportunities for the world.

Dev11
02-19-2014, 02:26 PM
Hell, just last week their moronic fan base decided that even though the entire city was shut down and was currently being featured on national news as an unmitigated snow disaster, they decided Duke had engaged in some sort of conspiracy to evade playing them, presumably because when their 20,000 seat arena isn't filled with their snoring boosters but with actual college students, it would confer some sort of advantage.

Any person who can't decide how they feel in the Duke-UNC rivalry should read this sentence 5 times out loud. It's completely insane.

dukebluesincebirth
02-19-2014, 02:35 PM
This is a no-brainer for me. GTHC GTH. Always and forever.

devil84
02-19-2014, 02:43 PM

I take beating those cheaters from Chapel Hill. Granted, knocking Syracuse down a peg would be fun, but if it's a choice between the two... it's no choice at all.

I understand why you ask, but you poor, sweet, innocent people-- you just don't know. Syracuse is a nice place, but unknown to you guys, chief among it's many fine qualities is that it's 600 miles from Chapel Hill. Trust me, if you lived within 8 miles of these folks, they'd be your arch-rivals, too. You wouldn't dream of asking this question. Hell, NCSU in Raleigh is 20 miles away, and they hate UNC just as much as we do. Just a few weeks living next to the constant sanctimony and entitlement would cure you of circling any other game on your basketball calendar.

Just last year an editor on their student newspaper referred to Durham as essentially a third world country and seriously questioned why there wasn't a border-crossing station between our city and their little egg sack. Hell, just last week their moronic fan base decided that even though the entire city was shut down and was currently being featured on national news as an unmitigated snow disaster, they decided Duke had engaged in some sort of conspiracy to evade playing them, presumably because when their 20,000 seat arena isn't filled with their snoring boosters but with actual college students, it would confer some sort of advantage.

I relish every opportunity to beat these blowhards, and wouldn't trade any of those opportunities for the world.

This. THIS. A thousand times, THIS.

The sight of Carolina Blue is like red to a bull for those of us who don't drink from that Old Well. As is their "Carolina Way."

GTHC. Always. Forever.

GGLC
02-19-2014, 02:45 PM

Which do you take?

I take result #1 a thousand times out of a thousand.

Not even the smallest question.

uh_no
02-19-2014, 02:47 PM
I only need a single byte to relay my sentiments:

0x9f

CameronBlue
02-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Beating the Toolies takes precedence over any other game. We will take care of the 'cuse during the tournament after your coach has been poisoned by the All-American Slam at Chez Denny's (know some Carolina grads who work there, they"ll know what to do.)

Sir Stealth
02-19-2014, 03:09 PM
I would rather lose to Syracuse every time out for the next 5 seasons than lose to UNC once.

gam7
02-19-2014, 03:12 PM

When a single derisive statement accurately sums up the feelings of each fan base towards the other (as the bolded language above probably does), you have a strong rivalry. That's what we have here. Seeing powder blue uniforms on a court painted with Pantone 287 makes the blood boil. Can't say the same thing about hot orange. GTHC.

GGLC
02-19-2014, 03:20 PM
I would rather lose to Syracuse every time out for the next 5 seasons than lose to UNC once.

This is the correct answer.

jv001
02-19-2014, 03:36 PM
A junior at the Christian school where I substitute asked me the other day the exact same question. This young man is a die hard Duke fan. I told him without hesitation, I never want to lost to the tarheels. I'd take a lost to Cuse and a win over unc any day of the week. Then I told him, you just haven't been around the same tarheel fans that I've been around in my lifetime. He'll one day understand. Beat unc and GoDuke!

grad_devil
02-19-2014, 04:06 PM
I only need a single byte to relay my sentiments:

0x9f

I can beat that. I only need 8 bits:

Err...wait a minute..

DBFAN
02-19-2014, 04:12 PM

This sums up everything I feel about the Holes and their fan base. Loved this answer so much I had to share it on FB as well.... Can't wait for the reactions of my Carolina friends...ha

killerleft
02-19-2014, 04:47 PM
A win over those who cheat as easily as they breathe is the only answer. But, thankfully, your hypothetical is just that, Arctic Orange. I hope we can beat the 'barely blue' - and then beat you!;)

Go Duke!

weezie
02-19-2014, 05:17 PM

Every time?! Hmmm, maybe regular season time but not tourney play.

syr, just why don't you guys finish decorating your ACC room and calm down a bit. I seem to recall some pretty lean years for you in the recent past, try not to get all slap happy just yet. :rolleyes:

DukieInKansas
02-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Beating unc everytime we play them = good season

People around here don't get that.

quahog174
02-19-2014, 06:27 PM
When SU moves closer than 8 miles to us and its fans start imploring us to go back to Jersey, proclaiming the orange sunset as divine proof of SU's superiority, keying our cars, pointing out rodent-like features of our coach, and shutting us out of social/business circles, then we can revisit this thread. Until then GTHC!

Newton_14
02-19-2014, 07:39 PM

Which do you take?

9F (Reference Throatybeard Handbook)

Did not even have to think about it. Really want to beat your guys but would never make that trade.... ever..

77devil
02-19-2014, 08:14 PM
Every time?! Hmmm, maybe regular season time but not tourney play.

syr, just why don't you guys finish decorating your ACC room and calm down a bit. I seem to recall some pretty lean years for you in the recent past, try not to get all slap happy just yet. :rolleyes:

That's right Weezie. Keep it in check Orange. The league champion is tourney winner. When you get to Greensboro act like you've been to a league tourney before.

duke96
02-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Ahhhh here's the right answer.

#3) BC beats the Orange and their mismatched unis tonight so they are not in fact 27-0, then we crush the holes on Thursday, then come what may on Saturday....

hurleyfor3
02-19-2014, 08:44 PM
I can beat that. I only need 8 bits:

Err...wait a minute..

Can we just call it 159?

ricks68
02-19-2014, 10:15 PM
Ahhhh here's the right answer.

#3) BC beats the Orange and their mismatched unis tonight so they are not in fact 27-0, then we crush the holes on Thursday, then come what may on Saturday....

Where have you been when so many have posted waaaaaay too soon on the Upset Alert threads? You're the guy I want sitting next to me in Vegas! Now, you have to update your thoughts to include what will happen on Saturday.

ricks

throatybeard
02-20-2014, 12:31 AM

This.

I mean, I don't know about the world, I don't really need the whole world, but I'd trade the next ten matchups against Syracuse for one against Carolina tomorrow night. I'd like to win against Syracuse this weekend, but if we don't, I'll say "damn, they're good. I'm going to bed now." I also don't think that would change if they had beaten BC tonight and they were undefeated. Indeed, I wouldn't care about Duke beating an undefeated UNC team because UNC was undefeated. This is not disrespect to Syracuse. But it's impossible for us to care about you strongly in one year when Carolina people have been nasty to us, every day in North Carolina, since before most of us were born.

If you've never had to live among these nasty, pathologically aggressive Carolina folks, you just don't know. I'm trying to think which school Syracuse folks would have felt this way about in the old Big East. I can't come up with one. I'm sure you weren't thrilled about Georgetown, or St Johns in the 1980s, or UConn, but those just aren't like this thing. They just aren't. Imagine fans who are so routinely nasty to you in public places outside arenas 365 days a year that you don't want to live anywhere near the area where both your own school and the rival are located. That's me. In North Carolina, you cannot wear a Duke shirt anywhere, even on your own campus without these people trying to start stuff with you. (Many Duke staff are UNC fans Duke employs). The biggest problems are that they have the J-school, the Pharmacy school, and the Dentistry school. If anybody at the drug store or the dentist finds out where you went to school, they will be nasty to you.

My parents are aged. They live in Winston, well, no in a 1960s exurb fifteen miles from Winston. When they're gone, I don't think I'm ever coming back to NC. My advisor at State is about their age too. When he's gone, it's like my parents being gone too. I mean, maybe to see a home game at Duke, I would come then. But we can afford to fly my (Durham-based) sister out here. I might want to see the NC mountains a couple more times. But I am past done with Carolina fans. I meet maybe one a year here. I bet New Zealand is even better.

throatybeard
02-20-2014, 12:39 AM
When SU moves closer than 8 miles to us and its fans start imploring us to go back to Jersey, proclaiming the orange sunset as divine proof of SU's superiority, keying our cars, pointing out rodent-like features of our coach, and shutting us out of social/business circles, then we can revisit this thread. Until then GTHC!

This is a much more concise version of what I was trying to say. Good work.

captmojo
02-20-2014, 09:23 AM
Orange, as you have witnessed, has not the emotional fervor of that nasty, childish blue.

Understand the following however, as my answer. The question is based on what I understand as being based on a very false pretense. Yeah, I have reserved writing in hindsight. But, the point of 'The Syra", both coming in and leaving undefeated in both phases of existence, has already gone by the wayside.

I put my faith in Duke being victorious in both instances. :D

Emotionally, understand Throaty is right on. I can't offer him more praise for his post just now.

Scorp4me
02-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Beating them is nice, but sometimes it gets to the point where you just don't want to lose to them. Their short term memories and nastiness that go along with their superiority complex and absolute disregard for reality are amazing.

If the NCAA determined that UNC had cheated and took away all their scholarships, if the court system determined they had executed illegal actions and there was a scandal that was written about in national papers, if we then went on to win every game for the next 10 years and in doing so was completely polite and even sympathetic to their situation, and THEN in the 11th year they pulled off an upset like BC just did over Syracuse...it'd be like flipping a switch. No lesson learned, no sense of perspective, no nothing. Just right back to the arrogant fans they are. It is their always present lack of perspective and the inability to learn that defines their fan base in my opinion. And it's why you always want to beat Carolina...to never lose to them.

davekay1971
02-20-2014, 10:14 AM
For those of us who live in enemy territory (anywhere within the great state of North Carolina), there's always an extra urgency to the rDuke-UNC games. Therefore, regardless of UNC's record or any other games on our schedule, it's always a must for Duke to beat them. When Duke beats UNC, the local Carolina fans give their excuses and a "wait'll next time" but are generally muffled for a bit. When UNC beats Duke, you suddenly find yourself swimming in a sea of pastel blue shirts and surrounded by people who want nothing more than to talk college basketball with you. There is simply no question: the UNC fans are the most smug, self-important, self-righteous fanbase in the world. As a group, they are odious (obviously individual UNC fans can be wonderful, if fatally flawed, people). The football scandals, the AFAM scandal, the clear connection between AFAM and the basketball team, all of Hairston's shenanigans...none of it has dampened any of their smug aura of superiority, regardless how undeserved.

That proximity is part of what makes this rivalry so different. We're literally in each other's back yards. And if you're a Duke fan, you're in a minority around here, and it becomes tough to live in peace in North Carolina for a few weeks after any Duke loss.

So, my answer, that I would take a Duke win over NC if that meant losing to Syracuse, is totally self-interested.

Addendum: Scorp's post, just above this one, is spot-on.

Addendumum: Alteran's post should be put up as a sticky under the headline: "Dear Newcomers to the ACC, Welcome! Read This to Understand Why We Will Always Want to Beat Carolina More than We Want to Beat Your School."

flyingdutchdevil
02-20-2014, 10:27 AM
For those of us who live in enemy territory (anywhere within the great state of North Carolina), there's always an extra urgency to the rDuke-UNC games. Therefore, regardless of UNC's record or any other games on our schedule, it's always a must for Duke to beat them. When Duke beats UNC, the local Carolina fans give their excuses and a "wait'll next time" but are generally muffled for a bit. When UNC beats Duke, you suddenly find yourself swimming in a sea of pastel blue shirts and surrounded by people who want nothing more than to talk college basketball with you. There is simply no question: the UNC fans are the most smug, self-important, self-righteous fanbase in the world. As a group, they are odious (obviously individual UNC fans can be wonderful, if fatally flawed, people). The football scandals, the AFAM scandal, the clear connection between AFAM and the basketball team, all of Hairston's shenanigans...none of it has dampened any of their smug aura of superiority, regardless how undeserved.

Is that a better response than blaming the refs, calling for line-up changes, criticizing the Crazies (if we lose at home), or blaming the other team for unsportsmanlike conduct? This happens here at DBR every time Duke loses to ANY team.

I'd like you to find any fan base that has a historic program who is not smug, self-important, and self-righteous. UNC fans may be worse, but that doesn't mean the Duke fan base are angels.

davekay1971
02-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Is that a better response than blaming the refs, calling for line-up changes, criticizing the Crazies (if we lose at home), or blaming the other team for unsportsmanlike conduct? This happens here at DBR every time Duke loses to ANY team.

I'd like you to find any fan base that has a historic program who is not smug, self-important, and self-righteous. UNC fans may be worse, but that doesn't mean the Duke fan base are angels.

I don't think I ever claimed that the Duke fan base are angels, and, if you look at my posts over time, you'll find that I consistently criticize posts blaming the refs, questioning K's lineup changes, or whining about other teams' conduct. Okay, I've blamed the refs once or twice. And I definitely am guilty of criticizing the Crazies. So I'm no angel either.

However, although self-loathing is hip in post-modern America, I'll stand with the Duke fan base, especially the DBR portion of it, proudly. And, if you don't live as an open and proud Duke fan in North Carolina, then you don't have any clue how painful it is to deal with the Tarheel fans. If you do live in North Carolina as a proud Duke fan and you really think the Duke fans are just as bad as the Tarheel fans (as your post implies), then we'll have to agree to disagree and you might want to consider finding a new fanbase to call your own. The Wake fans are a pretty polite bunch overall, a few drunken spoiled frat guys notwithstanding.

flyingdutchdevil
02-20-2014, 11:01 AM
I don't think I ever claimed that the Duke fan base are angels, and, if you look at my posts over time, you'll find that I consistently criticize posts blaming the refs, questioning K's lineup changes, or whining about other teams' conduct. Okay, I've blamed the refs once or twice. And I definitely am guilty of criticizing the Crazies. So I'm no angel either.

However, although self-loathing is hip in post-modern America, I'll stand with the Duke fan base, especially the DBR portion of it, proudly. And, if you don't live as an open and proud Duke fan in North Carolina, then you don't have any clue how painful it is to deal with the Tarheel fans. If you do live in North Carolina as a proud Duke fan and you really think the Duke fans are just as bad as the Tarheel fans (as your post implies), then we'll have to agree to disagree and you might want to consider finding a new fanbase to call your own. The Wake fans are a pretty polite bunch overall, a few drunken spoiled frat guys notwithstanding.

I never said Duke fans are as bad or worse, just that we are too entitled, like most fan bases. Now, I was sheltered in good ole Duke University for 4 years and off East Campus for another 2 years. Most of my non-interactions were with Duke employees and Duke fans. The UNC fans that I did interact with, I have a mixed impression. I can't really draw that many conclusions. I'm sure that you are more knowledgeable about the UNC fan base, given how you live in the thick of it.

There is no reason to call me out and tell me to get a new fan base. I've been a Duke fan since I first step foot on campus (nearly 40% of my life (I'd use years, but many here would laugh. I guess I can blame my parents for not having me at a younger age). I love Duke University, I love Duke basketball, and I really enjoy my interactions with fans, both offline and online. I am a fan because of the program and my alma mater, not because of the fans. I do think that Duke fans are more similar to other fan bases than many on DBR give credit to. We have our share of obnoxious fans, our share of intoxicated fans, and our share of bandwagon fans. We also have amazing, polite, and sensible fans, many of whom are on this site.

davekay1971
02-20-2014, 11:15 AM
I never said Duke fans are as bad or worse, just that we are too entitled, like most fan bases. Now, I was sheltered in good ole Duke University for 4 years and off East Campus for another 2 years. Most of my non-interactions were with Duke employees and Duke fans. The UNC fans that I did interact with, I have a mixed impression. I can't really draw that many conclusions. I'm sure that you are more knowledgeable about the UNC fan base, given how you live in the thick of it.

There is no reason to call me out and tell me to get a new fan base. I've been a Duke fan since I first step foot on campus (nearly 40% of my life (I'd use years, but many here would laugh. I guess I can blame my parents for not having me at a younger age). I love Duke University, I love Duke basketball, and I really enjoy my interactions with fans, both offline and online. I am a fan because of the program and my alma mater, not because of the fans. I do think that Duke fans are more similar to other fan bases than many on DBR give credit to. We have our share of obnoxious fans, our share of intoxicated fans, and our share of bandwagon fans. We also have amazing, polite, and sensible fans, many of whom are on this site.

I didn't tell you to get a new fan base. Your initial post seemed aggressively negative toward the Duke fan base, and I suggested that if you were as negative toward the fan base as your post indicated, you might want to consider the option. I never saw much sense in associating with people who mortify me, so I didn't see why you, or anyone, would want to be associated with a group which appeared to mortify you.

Your follow up post clarifies quite well your view on the Duke fan base, and it's now clear that you're not nearly as negative as your initial post implies. Thanks for the follow up, and my apologies, since my response to your initial post came across nastier than I meant it to be.

Clearly no fan base is perfect or wholly evil. Any large group of people has jerks, drunks, loudmouths, fools...as well as intelligent, sensible, reasonable people. Allow me the pleasure, however, of lambasting the UNC fanbase while ignoring the faults of my own, especially on the day when our noble, mighty, virtuous Blue Devils are set to do battle with those cheating scum. I'm jingoistic that way.

flyingdutchdevil
02-20-2014, 11:29 AM
I didn't tell you to get a new fan base. Your initial post seemed aggressively negative toward the Duke fan base, and I suggested that if you were as negative toward the fan base as your post indicated, you might want to consider the option. I never saw much sense in associating with people who mortify me, so I didn't see why you, or anyone, would want to be associated with a group which appeared to mortify you.

Your follow up post clarifies quite well your view on the Duke fan base, and it's now clear that you're not nearly as negative as your initial post implies. Thanks for the follow up, and my apologies, since my response to your initial post came across nastier than I meant it to be.

Clearly no fan base is perfect or wholly evil. Any large group of people has jerks, drunks, loudmouths, fools...as well as intelligent, sensible, reasonable people. Allow me the pleasure, however, of lambasting the UNC fanbase while ignoring the faults of my own, especially on the day when our noble, mighty, virtuous Blue Devils are set to do battle with those cheating scum. I'm jingoistic that way.

By all means, do so. I didn't intend to come off as the anti-Duke fan guy, just trying to put everything into perspective. Please continue to insult the UNC fans, now that I fully understand your position.

And in return, I will continue to lambaste the current UNC team, the UNC alumni, and good ole RoyWill.

Gthoma2a
02-20-2014, 12:25 PM

I'd say, from remembering my own response to the loss at Syracuse, that we generally have that knee jerk reaction to the bad calls (that's true), but we acknowledge the other team's victory. If an opposing fan is around, I will acknowledge a good game, regardless (not just because they are around, but that there is someone there to acknowledge). I often don't see that with them. For them, it is just thrown out as a no contest when they lose and it was a sorry contest because they weren't awarded the victory they so soundly deserved.

I believe a lot of Duke fans to be this way. We just don't have anyone else around to say, "good game" to.

noworries
02-20-2014, 12:32 PM

Which do you take?

Proposed this question to multiple people recently...living in NC, I think I'll take the UNC win...but I'd take either

throatybeard
02-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Some people won't like this, but I'm going to say it anyway.

I'll go one further. I want to be done with them. This isn't 2003, when Duke and Carolina teamed up as the last obstructionists to expansion. This isn't the old Carolina. At this point, after all the ethical problems they've had in the athletic department, I don't think Carolina would stay put out of some sort of ACC pride. If a better deal came along, I don't think they'd stick around out of the goodness of their hearts. "Oh, we just wuv our wittle pals Duke and State; we won't go!" Yeah, um, no I don't think so.

I long for the day that the SEC decides that sixteen is the perfect number for a conference. Given that FSU, GT, and Clemson would likely be blocked by their SEC rivals, and given that there are two rather populous states just to the east of their footprint, where many people own television sets, the logical targets are Carolina and one of the Virginia schools. You add roughly 18M people to your TV footprint, in the eastern time zone. You solve the illogic of Mizzou being in the east, and send them west.

East: UF, UGA, USC, UK, Tennessee, Vandy, UNC, Virginian wildcard
West: Bama, Auburn, OM, MSU, Arkansas, A&M, LSU, MU

That's a hell of a conference right there. I mean, it's already a hell of a conference already, but 18M more eyeballs and two really good research universities. Maybe I'll write Mike Slive a letter tonight and try to sell him on this.

Texas A&M doesn't play Texas anymore. Mizzou doesn't play Kansas anymore. Nebraska doesn't play Oklahoma or Colorado anymore. Penn State doesn't play Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Syracuse, or Pittsburgh anymore. The earth is still spinning.

Screw the rivalry, Carolina. Just go away and leave us alone. Just go. Pull a Maryland on us. I'll be thrilled. Have fun getting housed in football by Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and whoever you play from the SEC West.

So, to our Syracuse guests, that's how I feel about the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Y'all couldn't foster that level of resentment in a century.

jv001
02-20-2014, 02:21 PM

I'll go one further. I want to be done with them. This isn't 2003, when Duke and Carolina teamed up as the last obstructionists to expansion. This isn't the old Carolina. At this point, after all the ethical problems they've had in the athletic department, I don't think Carolina would stay put out of some sort of ACC pride. If a better deal came along, I don't think they'd stick around out of the goodness of their hearts. "Oh, we just wuv our wittle pals Duke and State; we won't go!" Yeah, um, no I don't think so.

I long for the day that the SEC decides that sixteen is the perfect number for a conference. Given that FSU, GT, and Clemson would likely be blocked by their SEC rivals, and given that there are two rather populous states just to the east of their footprint, where many people own television sets, the logical targets are Carolina and one of the Virginia schools. You add roughly 18M people to your TV footprint, in the eastern time zone. You solve the illogic of Mizzou being in the east, and send them west.

East: UF, UGA, USC, UK, Tennessee, Vandy, UNC, Virginian wildcard
West: Bama, Auburn, OM, MSU, Arkansas, A&M, LSU, MU

That's a hell of a conference right there. I mean, it's already a hell of a conference already, but 18M more eyeballs and two really good research universities. Maybe I'll write Mike Slive a letter tonight and try to sell him on this.

Texas A&M doesn't play Texas anymore. Mizzou doesn't play Kansas anymore. Nebraska doesn't play Oklahoma or Colorado anymore. Penn State doesn't play Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Syracuse, or Pittsburgh anymore. The earth is still spinning.

Screw the rivalry, Carolina. Just go away and leave us alone. Just go. Pull a Maryland on us. I'll be thrilled. Have fun getting housed in football by Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and whoever you play from the SEC West.

So, to our Syracuse guests, that's how I feel about the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Y'all couldn't foster that level of resentment in a century.

With unc's education be darned attitude, they might just fit in well with some of those so called football schools. It would not hurt my feelings at all if they left the ACC. That from a Duke fan that's put up with the whinning since 1960. GoDuke!

Danke Shane
02-20-2014, 02:36 PM

If UNC ever left the ACC... I'll give you one guess at who the East Regional's #1 vs #2 pairings are that year...

throatybeard
02-20-2014, 02:51 PM
If UNC ever left the ACC... I'll give you one guess at who the East Regional's #1 vs #2 pairings are that year...

This could happen, yes, but long-term, I'm not that worried about it, because we can't assume that Duke and Carolina will both be in the top eight every year. They've been more up-and-down than us, and there's roughly a 100% chance that our next coach won't be as good as the current one. A lot of things can happen. And even in that scenario, we're not both guaranteed to make the region final. I'll take that over having to play them two point something times a year, guaranteed, forever.

Fly fly fly, Carolina. Fly fly fly.

Wander
02-20-2014, 05:45 PM

Two weeks ago I would have argued with you. But the "Coach K was too scared to play in front of UNC students so he invoked a Satanic ritual to bring about an ice storm" line of thought is without exaggeration the most depressingly idiotic thing I've ever heard any sports fanbase come up with, and that's saying a lot. I really mean that - I can't think of anything stupider that a specific fanbase genuinely believes. And it seems to be relatively mainstream amongst the fans, so I have no desire to even give the appearance of defending UNC or the conference or whatever.

alteran
02-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Two weeks ago I would have argued with you. But the "Coach K was too scared to play in front of UNC students so he invoked a Satanic ritual to bring about an ice storm" line of thought is without exaggeration the most depressingly idiotic thing I've ever heard any sports fanbase come up with, and that's saying a lot. I really mean that - I can't think of anything stupider that a specific fanbase genuinely believes. And it seems to be relatively mainstream amongst the fans, so I have no desire to even give the appearance of defending UNC or the conference or whatever.

I had a friend who is a UNC fan say within the span of 3 or 4 sentences that 1) he had to park his car on the Durham Freeway and walk the remaining three miles home, and 2) Duke missing the game was deliberate because they feared... whatever, and they could/should have gotten there.

I've had to roll my eyes at a lot of the UNC fan whining over the years, but for some reason this latest bit of doublethink really gets on my nerves. It's like they're channeling a PARODY of Maryland fans.

CameronBornAndBred
02-20-2014, 06:26 PM
the Syracuse Orangemen, who waltz out of Cameron with that beautiful 28-0 record and #1 national ranking or...

I'm guessing today hasn't been a good day for you.

But to your question, beating an unranked Carolina team trumps beating a top 5 (fill in your school of choice here) team. We look forward to playing team B maybe a week or two before the game itself; we look forward to playing UNC as soon as the buzzer sounds on the last game.

77devil
02-20-2014, 09:10 PM
I had a friend who is a UNC fan say within the span of 3 or 4 sentences that 1) he had to park his car on the Durham Freeway and walk the remaining three miles home, and 2) Duke missing the game was deliberate because they feared... whatever, and they could/should have gotten there.

I've had to roll my eyes at a lot of the UNC fan whining over the years, but for some reason this latest bit of doublethink really gets on my nerves. It's like they're channeling a PARODY of Maryland fans.

With MD departing for oblivion, one of the remaining has to have to the worst fans in the league. UNC fits the profile.

throatybeard
02-20-2014, 09:13 PM
I had a friend who is a UNC fan...

Except for my gradskool officemate, I've ceased to understand sentences like the above. They've gotten worse.

gurufrisbee
02-20-2014, 10:10 PM
My two favorite teams are always:

1) Duke

and

2) whoever is playing NC

This choice is pretty easy.

gus
02-21-2014, 08:45 AM
I think we can all agree, with the results of the BC game and last night, that this is objectively all Arctic Orange's fault.

Arctic Orange
02-21-2014, 12:28 PM
I think we can all agree, with the results of the BC game and last night, that this is objectively all Arctic Orange's fault.

I pretty much suck at life. My bad guys. I'll skip lunch today as punishment.

Still, excited for tomorrow. Here's to a good, injury free game. LGO!

superdave
02-21-2014, 03:36 PM
No more looking ahead.....

throatybeard
02-24-2014, 09:09 PM
I've retitled the thread to make it more specific about where it started and where it went after that.

I had another realization watching the Syracuse-Maryland game tonight.

I found myself rooting for Maryland, for pragmatic reasons. No offense, Syracuse folk. It would probably benefit us if y'all lost a few more.

I then realized that, while I'm glad to be rid of Maryland, there's no way I could root for Carolina over Syracuse.

chris13
03-05-2014, 08:21 PM

Just to be clear, it wasn't the Durham Freeway, it was Alston Avenue. :p

Looking forward to the rematch Saturday. I'll be there, even though if I had to bet I'd bet on Duke.