PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming SI Issue

MPandolfi
02-19-2014, 09:38 AM
Looks like the cover article this week will focus on Coach K and his relationship with Jabari this season, titled the "Education of Jabari Parker."

CBS This Morning (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/duke-basketball-coach-mike-krzyzewski-talks-treasure-star-freshman-jabari-parker/) has a story up which references the Jeff Benedict written piece.

BD80
02-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Looks like the cover article this week will focus on Coach K and his relationship with Jabari this season, titled the "Education of Jabari Parker."

CBS This Morning (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/duke-basketball-coach-mike-krzyzewski-talks-treasure-star-freshman-jabari-parker/) has a story up which references the Jeff Benedict written piece.

Think the pose for the cover photo will resemble the pose on the cover of the current issue?

Last week back court, this week front court.

J_C_Steel
02-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Can't wait to read it. Jabari Parker has definitely exceeded expectations, and the season isn't even over yet. As Coach K says, he's a "treasure."

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-19-2014, 10:34 AM

It was a great piece on CBS. I'm really excited to see what the article has to say. Might be a great cap to what has the potential to be a very fine week.

Or, conversely, it might be a nice thing to read while down in the doldrums after a few more games.

Go Duke!

Troublemaker
02-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Really looking forward to this. Thanks for the heads up!

Troublemaker
02-19-2014, 10:58 AM
It was a great piece on CBS.

Yes, the article linked was basically a text version of a segment on CBS This Morning.

Hopefully CBS puts up the video of the segment at some point. But until then, someone with a dog recorded his TV during the segment and put it up on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9_Bu3hXn5A

Not everyone will find that youtube to be watchable. Picture's not great, and there's a dog barking for some of it. I would say the dog stops barking when we really need him to, though.

luburch
02-19-2014, 11:20 AM
Here's the link to the SI cover article http://si.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?expire=&title=Duke%27s+Mike+Krzyzewsk+takes+hands-on+approach+with+Jabari+Parker+-+College+Basketball+-+Jeff+Benedict+-+SI.com&urlID=524327552&action=cpt&partnerID=2356&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsportsillustrated.cnn.com%2Fcolle ge-basketball%2Fnews%2F20140219%2Fjabari-parker%2F&utm_source=hootsuite&utm_campaign=hootsuite

brevity
02-19-2014, 11:27 AM

Great to see this article with the Carolina game tomorrow, and fitting that a Duke cover story would have the word "Education" in its title.

Because, academics.

See, Heels, the word is "Education." That's spelled E-D-U-C-A-... what? Why are you stopping me?

Okay, I'll start over. There's this thing called an alphabet...

jv001
02-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Great to see this article with the Carolina game tomorrow, and fitting that a Duke cover story would have the word "Education" in its title.

Because, academics.

See, Heels, the word is "Education." That's spelled E-D-U-C-A-... what? Why are you stopping me?

Okay, I'll start over. There's this thing called an alphabet...

Now this is funny. Gave you sporks. GoDuke!

Atlanta Duke
02-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Here's the link to the SI cover article http://si.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?expire=&title=Duke%27s+Mike+Krzyzewsk+takes+hands-on+approach+with+Jabari+Parker+-+College+Basketball+-+Jeff+Benedict+-+SI.com&urlID=524327552&action=cpt&partnerID=2356&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsportsillustrated.cnn.com%2Fcolle ge-basketball%2Fnews%2F20140219%2Fjabari-parker%2F&utm_source=hootsuite&utm_campaign=hootsuite

Thanks for the link

The article provides some insight into what Coach K was going through during the period from the death of his brother through the Clemson game (had not slept for days during the period from his brother's death on December 26 through the January 3 Notre Dame game, did not speak to anyone on the team for 36 hours after the Clemson loss but slept soundly for the first time in 2 weeks)

"Overall this will be a great experience for them because they see someone who in their minds is very powerful and who can't be penetrated," Krzyzewski said. "And they see me being penetrated to where I'm moved to tears."

The recurring references to K staying up all night to watch film appear to indicate he still has some fire left in him :)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-19-2014, 11:42 AM
Really great article. Makes you feel as though this season is a journey that Parker and K are taking together. It's amazing that a kid who has had this much attention for so much of his young life seems to have NEVER had a bad word written about him.

Hope lots of young potential recruits read this article and get goosebumps like I did.

luburch
02-19-2014, 11:48 AM
This link has a picture of the nice cover photo of J & K. http://college-basketball.si.com/2014/02/19/jabari-parker-mike-krzyzewski-wichita-state-shockers-sports-illustrated-covers/

Atlanta Duke
02-19-2014, 11:53 AM
And for those, including me, who initially thought Coach K coaching the Olympics might not be a net plus for the Duke program, Coach K played this card at his last recruiting visit when he was advised by Jabari Parker's Mom that "Jabari needs to know how you are going to play him and what goals you want to set."

"The great ones -- Durant, LeBron, Kobe, Carmelo -- don't have positions," Krzyzewski said. Jabari nodded. "You're a great player. And at Duke you will be a player without a position."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140219/jabari-parker/#ixzz2tmt20vCz

Billy Dat
02-19-2014, 11:59 AM
Really great article. Makes you feel as though this season is a journey that Parker and K are taking together. It's amazing that a kid who has had this much attention for so much of his young life seems to have NEVER had a bad word written about him.

Hope lots of young potential recruits read this article and get goosebumps like I did.

This is a goosebumps-inducing article. I am sitting here with a lump in my throat.

And I hope the haters hate. "Why is Duke getting an SI cover story? This reads like a big recruiting commercial! Why isn't the article about Ennis and Boeheim, Self and Wiggins, Cal and his minnions, the McDermotts, the Shockers or anyone else?"

We bring eyeballs and sell magazines, that's why. Holla!

jv001
02-19-2014, 12:01 PM

This is why I love Duke basketball! Special player, family, school and Coach. We're blessed! GoDuke!

NashvilleDevil
02-19-2014, 12:05 PM
Just finished the article, thought it was really well done. As Duke fans we are really fortunate to have a player of Jabari's caliber putting on the Duke uniform. He is really a special kid.

Dev11
02-19-2014, 12:52 PM
This is a goosebumps-inducing article. I am sitting here with a lump in my throat.

And I hope the haters hate. "Why is Duke getting an SI cover story? This reads like a big recruiting commercial! Why isn't the article about Ennis and Boeheim, Self and Wiggins, Cal and his minnions, the McDermotts, the Shockers or anyone else?"

We bring eyeballs and sell magazines, that's why. Holla!

Well, Wichita is on a different regional cover this week. I expect that's the one I'll see in Colorado.

The article was very well done. It feels good that the best player on the team wants to be pushed harder because the coach tells him it will work.

Mike Corey
02-19-2014, 02:15 PM
This is why I love Duke basketball! Special player, family, school and Coach. We're blessed! GoDuke!

Perfectly stated.

Several years ago, Coach K was telling people how much he wanted to coach Jabari Parker because he saw so much of Kobe Bryant in him.

As a fan, I love seeing Jabari Parker in Duke Blue. But as a fan of Coach K's, I'm grateful he's got the opportunity to coach this caliber of person and athlete--this is why he loves what he does so much. He loves this opportunity, to mold one of the could-be-greats into more than one with immense expectation, but as one who can channel that expectation into realization.

Thanks for sharing this article. So very proud and grateful to be a Duke fan.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Perfectly stated.

Several years ago, Coach K was telling people how much he wanted to coach Jabari Parker because he saw so much of Kobe Bryant in him.

As a fan, I love seeing Jabari Parker in Duke Blue. But as a fan of Coach K's, I'm grateful he's got the opportunity to coach this caliber of person and athlete--this is why he loves what he does so much. He loves this opportunity, to mold one of the could-be-greats into more than one with immense expectation, but as one who can channel that expectation into realization.

Thanks for sharing this article. So very proud and grateful to be a Duke fan.

Imagine what an opportunity this is for K. A once-in-a-generation talent, a kid with tons of drive and motivation, from a family that supports him and wants the best for him, with no discernable off-court issues or distractions. I'd put him in a class with Grant Hill, as far as young men who must have been just so enjoyable to coach.

Dev11
02-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Imagine what an opportunity this is for K. A once-in-a-generation talent, a kid with tons of drive and motivation, from a family that supports him and wants the best for him, with no discernable off-court issues or distractions. I'd put him in a class with Grant Hill, as far as young men who must have been just so enjoyable to coach.

I'd wager that among others, Shane Battier also stood out in the this way, not to mention all of these players' apparent enthusiasm for being pushed to their absolute limits.

Edit: I suppose on talent, Shane isn't there, but still in drive and support from the family.

Rich
02-19-2014, 04:05 PM

What an opportunity for Jabari! Man, what I would give to have Coach K as a mentor, if even for just a few days.

Chicken Little
02-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Am I the only one who feels like this raises the possibility of Jabari sticking around for another year from 0% to 2%? I'll continue to enjoy this season of course, but I really feel like he clearly loves where he's at and genuinely hasn't committed to the idea of leaving moreso than other players who say "I'm not thinking about that until the end of the season"

luburch
02-19-2014, 04:59 PM
Am I the only one who feels like this raises the possibility of Jabari sticking around for another year from 0% to 2%? I'll continue to enjoy this season of course, but I really feel like he clearly loves where he's at and genuinely hasn't committed to the idea of leaving moreso than other players who say "I'm not thinking about that until the end of the season"

I simply refuse to think about it. I'm going to enjoy watching him every second while he is at Duke and worry about that in April.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-19-2014, 05:09 PM
I'd wager that among others, Shane Battier also stood out in the this way, not to mention all of these players' apparent enthusiasm for being pushed to their absolute limits.

Edit: I suppose on talent, Shane isn't there, but still in drive and support from the family.

Shane actually occured to me as well when I posted, but the talent is a level below.

Troublemaker
02-19-2014, 05:16 PM

There were (at least) two things that delighted me about that article.

(1) Realizing (again) how lucky I am to be a fan of a program with Coach K at the helm coaching great young men like Jabari Parker

(2) Thinking about all the Duke-haters that vomited reading that part about how Jabari loves Duke so much he was intentionally playing poorly so that NBA scouts would not pay so much attention to him.

As for whether I'm getting my hopes up at all about Jabari returning... no, I'm going to continue to assume that he's gone. (And, obviously, we will be thrilled for him either way.)

Reilly
02-19-2014, 05:23 PM
... Okay, I'll start over. There's this thing called an alphabet ...

There's no reason to be condescending. At Glenwood Elementary, they know all about the alphabet -- it's taped to the wall of every classroom.

davekay1971
02-19-2014, 05:23 PM
That was just a great article. I got tremendous insight into how Coach K works with these kids. His individualized approach, the way he gets into their heads, the way he examines every detail to find ways for them to improve.

I'm sure every K/Duke hater in the world who reads this article with puke, get angry, assume the writer was paid by K to give such a positive article. They'll note how this is just an unfair recruiting advantage, because other top recruits will read this and want to come to Duke for that kind of work. They'll claim that K may work with Parker like that, but probably ignores role players completely.

That's why they're haters. K is an amazing coach, and you see a little glimpse in this article about why he's on the short list (short like 2 people short) of greatest college basketball coaches of all time.

As for Jabari and his family, you have to love them from this article, and you have to appreciate how fortunate we, as Duke fans are, to have a kid like that play for our school, and have a coach like that who both can recruit Parker, and coach him so well once he gets here.

mr. synellinden
02-19-2014, 05:57 PM
"He came to the right school," Sonny replied.

I love that quote. What a fantastic story and inside look at how Coach K develops relationships with his players based on a core of truth and trust. As others have alluded to, I think about Coach K missing out on coaching Kobe in college and what a great opportunity this is for both player and coach. I also wonder how much value Jabari and his family think there may be in spending another year learning from one of the greatest basketball coaches ever.

oldnavy
02-19-2014, 06:13 PM
Sorta of blows all that garbage about how Duke doesn't develop players... doesn't it.

Jabari would be a pro no matter if he didn't go to college, but he will be a much better prepared rookie for having spent a year at Duke with Coach K.

Great article, great kid... we are blessed as Duke fans to have such quality people running the program and moving through the program.

g-money
02-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Awesome article. Makes me proud to be a Dukie and have the GOAT on our side.

Here's hoping that the dunk against Maryland will be the spark that sends Jabari into full beast mode for the rest of the season. Power, baby, power!

oldnavy
02-20-2014, 06:31 AM
I absolutely LOVE Jabari Parker, LOVE him...

He came in as an awesome player and he has gotten better...

If I had a nit to pick, it would be that I wish he would put the fade away jumper on the back burner for awhile... he seems to be much more productive when he is moving toward the basket rather than away from it.

I know that the chances are great that he will develop this shot and add it to his already very impressive arsenal, but I hope he only uses it during mop up time for the rest of this season. To me it is a "settle for" shot for him right now, and he really doesn't need to settle.

But, this is like saying a super model has a pimple on her behind... it really doesn't impact the beauty of his game that much...

Thanks Jabari for being such a great representative of Duke University...

UrinalCake
02-20-2014, 08:59 AM
I was just floored by this article, we rarely get such a behind-the-scenes look at what goes on behind the doors of the Duke program. For people who think that a top high school player can go anywhere and it doesn't matter, this article provided a great perspective on how deep the relationship is between player and coach. Coach K is amazing, not just as a basketball coach but as a teacher, psychologist, and father figure to these young men.

I also am so impressed with Jabari's parents and how they support their son, stand up for him, while still letting him live his own life. As a parent myself I was really moved by how his mom was willing to travel so far just to see her son for a few seconds.

UrinalCake
02-20-2014, 09:15 AM
Coach K's goals for his players:
- National Player of the Year
- Winning the National Championship
- #1 pick in NBA draft

Roy Williams's goals for his players:
- Learn their ABC's
- Count to 100
- Breathe through their nose
- Walk and chew gum at the same time

flyingdutchdevil
02-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Coach K's goals for his players:
- National Player of the Year
- Winning the National Championship
- #1 pick in NBA draft

- Put ABCs together to form 'words'
- Count to 80 (they don't score past 80, so why learn 100?)
- Breathe through their mouth (Gerald Henderson can make your nose futile)

That's not really fair. Let's give them credit where credit is due. I changed it for you.

brevity
02-20-2014, 09:28 AM
- Learn their ABC's
- Count to 100
- Breathe through their nose
- Walk and chew gum at the same time

You missed a few:

- Speak of yourself in the third person
- Feel sorry for Ol' Roy
- Keep up with natural disasters, for comparison purposes (senior level requirement)
- Adjust to playing with tire tracks on your body

duke79
02-20-2014, 10:50 AM
I was just floored by this article, we rarely get such a behind-the-scenes look at what goes on behind the doors of the Duke program. For people who think that a top high school player can go anywhere and it doesn't matter, this article provided a great perspective on how deep the relationship is between player and coach. Coach K is amazing, not just as a basketball coach but as a teacher, psychologist, and father figure to these young men.

I also am so impressed with Jabari's parents and how they support their son, stand up for him, while still letting him live his own life. As a parent myself I was really moved by how his mom was willing to travel so far just to see her son for a few seconds.

My experience is that good kids come from good parents (obviously not 100% of the time, but usually).

daveduke76
02-20-2014, 11:27 AM
Gave me chills, made me appreciate Jabari and Coach K much more!

One thing I am wondering is how does Coach K respond to the needs of all his players. Does he give the same level of attention to everyone?

I am wondering what is up with Cook, seems like he could use some of Coach K's tough love too!

FerryFor50
02-20-2014, 12:01 PM
I said it when Parker committed to Duke and I will say it again - Jabari is probably one of my favorite Duke players of all time, on and off the court.

flyingdutchdevil
02-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Given that:

a) It's mid-February
b) The title referenced "Upcoming SI Issue"
c) I am a male in his late 20s

Can you fault me for thinking this was about the latest swimsuit edition?

MChambers
02-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Or worrying about the curse!

BD80
02-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Great article, but it does go a bit overboard at times. Like this:

At Duke, Parker found that the people were unusually nice. Twice during summer school he lost his wallet; each time it was returned to the basketball office with everything in it.

"That wouldn't happen back home," Parker said. "My wallet would have been long gone."

Such things would happen elsewhere. At UK the wallet would be filled with fresh hundreds each time!

If unc players could read, they would be amazed at the part where Jabari actually attended an African American Studies class.

aheel4ever
02-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Great article, but it does go a bit overboard at times. Like this:

At Duke, Parker found that the people were unusually nice. Twice during summer school he lost his wallet; each time it was returned to the basketball office with everything in it.

"That wouldn't happen back home," Parker said. "My wallet would have been long gone."

Such things would happen elsewhere. At UK the wallet would be filled with fresh hundreds each time!

If unc players could read, they would be amazed at the part where Jabari actually attended an African American Studies class.

You guys are soooo funny...this might interest you.

http://www.news-record.com/sports/article_ae9fafec-9af9-11e3-a58d-0017a43b2370.html

"Paige is the only men's ACC basketball player on the first, second or third Academic All-America teams."

Kdogg
02-21-2014, 11:04 AM

http://www.news-record.com/sports/article_ae9fafec-9af9-11e3-a58d-0017a43b2370.html

"Paige is the only men's ACC basketball player on the first, second or third Academic All-America teams."

You realize that, with the current UNC academic shenanigans it would will be viewed as suspect.

MPandolfi
02-21-2014, 03:55 PM
Should the title of the thread be changed to "Upcoming SI Cover Jinx"?

UrinalCake
02-21-2014, 04:02 PM
You realize that, with the current UNC academic shenanigans it would will be viewed as suspect.

Yeah I mean that carries about as much weight as UNC bragging about how it graduates 100% of its players (including the ones with learning disabilities).

throatybeard
02-21-2014, 10:52 PM
Given that:

a) It's mid-February
b) The title referenced "Upcoming SI Issue"
c) I am a male in his late 20s

Can you fault me for thinking this was about the latest swimsuit edition?

I'm right there. It was mainly the timing.

Unfortunately, at 37, I see the "rookies" and instead of thinking "yum" I think, "this youngun should put some clothes on." How is Cintia Dicker out of the rotation, seriously? She's only 27!

Maybe we wouldn't have lost to Carolina if Jabari was on the cover of the swimsuit issue instead of the routine magazine.

Grey Devil
02-22-2014, 10:37 AM
Maybe we wouldn't have lost to Carolina if Jabari was on the cover of the swimsuit issue instead of the routine magazine.

Not much chance of that happening. The swimsuit issue is an institution on its own. (Besides I don't think Jabari would look nearly as good in a two-piece suit on the cover as those models...)

However, being in the cover of SI and then losing your next game is also an institution on its own. For example, when I sent the link of the Jabari article to my former college roommate his immediate response was:

"I don't like this. I hate to see this cover right before the Carolina and Syracuse games. They will be tough enough without the SI jinx!"

I immediately dismissed his response, thinking "But this is different. This is a potentially great Duke team. That SI jinx thing is just mindless superstition."

Guess my old roomie was right. Beware the SI jinx. ;-)

BTW, we both graduated from Duke in 1971. The "SI jinx" is a powerful thing. Shrug it off and you will pay.

However, my understanding of the SI jinx is that it only lasts for one game. We will win tonight against Syracuse.

Grey Devil

jv001
02-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Not much chance of that happening. The swimsuit issue is an institution on its own. (Besides I don't think Jabari would look nearly as good in a two-piece suit on the cover as those models...)

However, being in the cover of SI and then losing your next game is also an institution on its own. For example, when I sent the link of the Jabari article to my former college roommate his immediate response was:

"I don't like this. I hate to see this cover right before the Carolina and Syracuse games. They will be tough enough without the SI jinx!"

I immediately dismissed his response, thinking "But this is different. This is a potentially great Duke team. That SI jinx thing is just mindless superstition."

BTW, we both graduated from Duke in 1971. The "SI jinx" is a powerful thing. Shrug it off and you will pay.

However, my understanding of the SI jinx is that it only lasts for one game. We will win tonight against Syracuse.

Grey Devil

The SI jinx and on top of that those butt ugly black uniforms we wore. I told my wife, if we can win in those ugly uniforms, this team should easily win the NCAAT this year. GoDuke!

Edouble
02-22-2014, 01:58 PM

Man, I don't know. Shane was really talented. His instincts and abilities on defense are just as good as Jabari's are on offense. Shane could get a 5 second call on a point guard, 30 feet out from the basket on one play, and block a center the next play. Shane's talents certainly do not translate to the pros as well as Jabari's probably will, but on the defensive side of the ball, he's one of the most talented college players in the history of the game.

I guess it depends on what you mean by talent, but for the college game, it's tough to argue that any of the guys who have their jerseys in the rafters aren't the cream of the crop talent-wise, for the college level.

The article was amazing. Between this article and the Seth Davis piece on Dawkins from earlier in the year, it makes me want to know about all of the interactions that Coach K has with all of the players. What buttons he pushes, when he gets mad, when he lays off, etc., etc.

I was interested in one part of the article in particular:

"But you have to be in condition," Krzyzewski said. "I'll push you with my staff because everybody needs to be pushed."

I found it interesting that Coach K said "my staff", as opposed to "our staff". A small detail, I know, but Coach K has always been about details, and if you read past interviews/books, he's always very "us" and "we" focused. Maybe some of these lines are paraphrased quotes, but I would think that they would be pretty exact.

davekay1971
02-22-2014, 02:06 PM

Good point. The fact that UNC men's basketball has a very good student on its roster absolutely absolves UNC of 15 years of academic fraud (from 1995 until they were finally caught redhanded in 2010) that deeply involved a huge number of athletes in both of the main revenue generating men's sports. Paige's academic excellence exhonorates the UNC administration's pattern of lies, obstruction, denial, and misdirection that is now going on for a 4th solid year and shows no sign of abating. Paige's strong classroom work means that we should never doubt that Tyler Hansbrough's Swahili independent studies classes were rigorous academic exercises that he signed up for due to his deep interest in learning Swahili.

Strong work UNC, for having Marcus Paige on campus. Nothing to see here, folks, the Tarheels have one great student now.

I'm sorry, aheel4ever...what was your point again?

DukieInKansas
02-22-2014, 03:32 PM

Grey Devil

Depending on your perspective, Jabari might be better on the swimsuit cover (in a one piece, mind you) than the females in two piece suits. And given the age difference - the thought would have to be "God does good work!"

Atlanta Duke
02-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Link to 5 minute SI.com video on the story - focus is on Coach K 's emotional season as well as Jabari Parker's enjoyment of Duke off the court

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/ncaab-video/20140220/2014-02-21-clip02.sportsillustrated/