PDA

View Full Version : ACC Coach of the Year discussion

JasonEvans
02-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Bennett best job in many years in ACC play

Well, I am not so sure about this. The Cavs were woeful underachievers before the ACC season began. Does coaching in Nov and Dec not count? Also, it is not like Virginia came out of nowhere. Don't forget that Virgina had plenty of pre-season hype (pre-season top 25) after playing pretty well last year (they were 4th in the conference last season) and they returned pretty much everyone from that team except for their defensive-minded PG, Jontell Evans. They are a very experienced team.

Yes, they have had a great season in ACC play and Bennett is clearly the front-runner for ACC COY, but if Syracuse goes unbeaten in their first season in the conference, I guarantee that Boeheim is going to win the award and even if Bennett does win it for Virginia, I think it is a bit of a stretch to call this the best coaching job in "many years" in the ACC.

-Jason "no trying to take anything away from Bennett or the Cavs, just resisting the hyperbole" Evans

Olympic Fan
02-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Well, I am not so sure about this. The Cavs were woeful underachievers before the ACC season began. Does coaching in Nov and Dec not count? Also, it is not like Virginia came out of nowhere. Don't forget that Virgina had plenty of pre-season hype (pre-season top 25) after playing pretty well last year (they were 4th in the conference last season) and they returned pretty much everyone from that team except for their defensive-minded PG, Jontell Evans. They are a very experienced team.

Yes, they have had a great season in ACC play and Bennett is clearly the front-runner for ACC COY, but if Syracuse goes unbeaten in their first season in the conference, I guarantee that Boeheim is going to win the award and even if Bennett does win it for Virginia, I think it is a bit of a stretch to call this the best coaching job in "many years" in the ACC.

-Jason "no trying to take anything away from Bennett or the Cavs, just resisting the hyperbole" Evans

I think there re some other candidates. Doesn't look like it's going to happen, but if Clemson does make the NCAA with a team picked to finish 11th, Brownell will get votes. And if Mark Gottfried gets NC State into the NCAA with a team that lost four of five starters (and six of the top seven scorers) off last year's team, he'll get strong consideration.

As for the Bennett vs. Boeheim debate-- that one may come down to the Mar. 1 Syracuse at Virginia game.

brevity
02-17-2014, 05:10 PM
Which makes Bennett a slam dunk for ACC Coach of the Year.

I think there re some other candidates. Doesn't look like it's going to happen, but if Clemson does make the NCAA with a team picked to finish 11th, Brownell will get votes. And if Mark Gottfried gets NC State into the NCAA with a team that lost four of five starters (and six of the top seven scorers) off last year's team, he'll get strong consideration.

As for the Bennett vs. Boeheim debate-- that one may come down to the Mar. 1 Syracuse at Virginia game.

The ACC Coach of the Year discussion probably deserves its own thread.

Whether appropriate or not, a coach who exceeds his team's preseason expectations has a good chance at winning. I listed the order of the ACC Preseason Poll (http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/ACCMediaDay-Preseason-Poll-2013_10-16-13_v1cp99) below, with each team's current standing in parentheses:

1. Duke (3)
2. Syracuse (1)
3. North Carolina (4)
4. Virginia (2)
5. Notre Dame (10)
6. Pittsburgh (5)
7. Maryland (Tie-8)
8. Boston College (15)
9. Florida State (Tie-8)
10. NC State (Tie-6)
11. Georgia Tech (Tie-11)
12. Miami (13)
13. Wake Forest (Tie-11)
14. Clemson (Tie-6)
15. Virginia Tech (14)

Virginia was picked 4th in October, and would have been 3rd if the media voters knew about UNC's eligibility problems (one poor schmuck picked them to finish 1st). Their season narrative is that they have an easier schedule than other top-tier teams. That will get them a good national ranking, and probably a good NCAA Tournament seed, but not an automatic Coach of the Year win for Tony Bennett.

Right now I think this award is Jim Boeheim's to lose. I'll even spot him a loss in Cameron. He has a Coach K level of excellence with none of the voter fatigue. Pat Kennedy won Coach of the Year in his inaugural ACC season with Florida State, which was Duke's wire-to-wire season, 1991-1992. Putting it in terms of that season, Jim Boeheim is basically Pat Kennedy coaching Duke.

77devil
02-17-2014, 06:09 PM
The ACC Coach of the Year discussion probably deserves its own thread.

Whether appropriate or not, a coach who exceeds his team's preseason expectations has a good chance at winning. I listed the order of the ACC Preseason Poll (http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/ACCMediaDay-Preseason-Poll-2013_10-16-13_v1cp99) below, with each team's current standing in parentheses:

1. Duke (3)
2. Syracuse (1)
3. North Carolina (4)
4. Virginia (2)
5. Notre Dame (10)
6. Pittsburgh (5)
7. Maryland (Tie-8)
8. Boston College (15)
9. Florida State (Tie-8)
10. NC State (Tie-6)
11. Georgia Tech (Tie-11)
12. Miami (13)
13. Wake Forest (Tie-11)
14. Clemson (Tie-6)
15. Virginia Tech (14)

Virginia was picked 4th in October, and would have been 3rd if the media voters knew about UNC's eligibility problems (one poor schmuck picked them to finish 1st). Their season narrative is that they have an easier schedule than other top-tier teams. That will get them a good national ranking, and probably a good NCAA Tournament seed, but not an automatic Coach of the Year win for Tony Bennett.

Right now I think this award is Jim Boeheim's to lose. I'll even spot him a loss in Cameron. He has a Coach K level of excellence with none of the voter fatigue. Pat Kennedy won Coach of the Year in his inaugural ACC season with Florida State, which was Duke's wire-to-wire season, 1991-1992. Putting it in terms of that season, Jim Boeheim is basically Pat Kennedy coaching Duke.

At this point in the race Boeheim and Bennett are the only contenders. In a slight digression, I had forgotten that Coach K had never been selected Coach of the Year by the AP until Doris Burke mentioned it during the MD game. Without looking it up, who won in 2001 when Coach K led Duke to a third NC?

tbyers11
02-17-2014, 06:11 PM
At this point in the race Boeheim and Bennett are the only contenders. In a slight digression, I had forgotten that Coach K had never been selected Coach of the Year by the AP until Doris Burke mentioned it during the MD game. Without looking it up, who won in 2001 when Coach K led Duke to a third NC?

IIRC, was it Matt Doherty? Great season before the late flameout.