PDA

View Full Version : MBB: UNC-CH at FSU -- 2-17-14

Henderson
02-17-2014, 07:27 PM
FSU is all over the Holes midway through the first half.

-jk
02-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Now you've done it...

-jk

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-17-2014, 07:34 PM
Someone ban Henderson for jinxing it... ;)

jacone21
02-17-2014, 07:59 PM
I came here just to see who jinxed it. I knew somebody must've done it! urgh!

dukelifer
02-17-2014, 08:02 PM

The only time to comment about a Carolina game is after they lose. This team has found their mojo and is a handful right now.

timmy c
02-17-2014, 08:03 PM

May The Lord have mercy on your soul! You clearly don't like Xmas or puppies.

duketaylor
02-17-2014, 08:05 PM
"The only time to comment about a Carolina game is after they lose. This team has found their mojo and is a handful right now."

Amen to that!! Fingers crossed for the 2nd half!!

duke09hms
02-17-2014, 08:05 PM
UNC is going to cruise to an easy win now.

alteran
02-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Tar and pitchSporks!

Wheat/"/"/"
02-17-2014, 08:12 PM
UNC really struggled with unforced TO's, continued inability to finish at the rim, and some calls that have not gone their way. This is a team that will never look smooth for long stretches, but they can force the pace.

I like the coaching job Roy did in that half to get them back in it. He put in players, less talented players, and demanded focus on defense. He played some lineups that we haven't seen since early in the season and they came through.

McAdoo let some questionable calls get to him and he's got to move on past it...it's part of the game some nights and he has to deal with it and others have to step up if they expect to win.

I'm seeing improved maturity out there but still see a lot of youthful mistakes.

Just gonna have to accept that this season it looks like with UNC.

FerryFor50
02-17-2014, 08:17 PM
McAdoo has nearly fouled out.

Hell has nearly frozen over.

Ggallagher
02-17-2014, 08:20 PM
I'm enjoying this, but I'm worried that they might play a little bit better than this Thursday. But I'll keep enjoying it as long as FSU stays ahead.

jipops
02-17-2014, 08:22 PM
McAdoo has nearly fouled out.

Hell has nearly frozen over.

Heels are dominating inside, they don't need McAdoo

FerryFor50
02-17-2014, 08:32 PM
Heels are dominating inside, they don't need McAdoo

The fact that any Heel is in foul trouble is a victory in itself.

jipops
02-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Heels forced zone and now Paige is free to shoot. This may be over.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-17-2014, 08:42 PM
Heels forced zone and now Paige is free to shoot. This may be over.

It's never over with this team until the final whistle. They really make some boneheaded plays at the worst times. It's got to drive Roy nuts...

OldPhiKap
02-17-2014, 08:48 PM
Heels will win this, no need to even watch more.

Props to Carolina, they have really pulled it together since the NCAA sanction issue was resolved and they got LMac back. Could have been crazy good if PJ had not been such a foul-up.

Like to see Meeks play so many minutes, his conditioning will be tested Thursday. But I will be surprised if Duke is more than a 5.5 favorite, probably closer to even money.

FerryFor50
02-17-2014, 08:50 PM
McAdoo fouls out... On a charge!!!

DukeWarhead
02-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Acc is just looking bad these days. This game is kind of ugly like many of late. As much as I like to dis the Big 12, the ACC is looking quite thin in the middle.

duketaylor
02-17-2014, 08:59 PM
"demanded focus on defense," first time in about 3 years or more I think Wheat, maybe more. unc has relied on complete offense with no focus on D, falls completely on Roy. We can bet a beer, or inexpensive fishing trip together of Thursday;)

El_Diablo
02-17-2014, 08:59 PM
As much as I like to dis the Big 12, the ACC is looking quite thin in the middle.

Except for Kennedy Meeks.

jipops
02-17-2014, 09:01 PM
It's never over with this team until the final whistle. They really make some boneheaded plays at the worst times. It's got to drive Roy nuts...

I turned it off a few minutes ago. It's a sure thing.

FerryFor50
02-17-2014, 09:04 PM
I'd feel better about FSU's chances if they had Michael Snaer.

-jk
02-17-2014, 09:08 PM

Henderson ended it midway through the first half. You'd think we'd learn..

-jk

Troublemaker
02-17-2014, 09:08 PM
But I will be surprised if Duke is more than a 5.5 favorite, probably closer to even money.

For sure. Before the game was postponed, Duke was 2.5-pt favorites. Since the Heels will have an extra day of rest advantage on Thursday (which wasn't the case the first time around), I could see the line being 2 or 1.5 this time around.

Newton_14
02-17-2014, 09:09 PM

Score? Time left??

FerryFor50
02-17-2014, 09:10 PM
One... Two... Two Heels foul out! Ah! Ah! Ah!

(Gotta take what you can when FSU blows a big lead and holds McAdoo to 0 points)

FerryFor50
02-17-2014, 09:11 PM
Score? Time left??

81-75. Final.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-17-2014, 09:13 PM
Good teams win ugly.

Boy was that ugly.

Ichabod Drain
02-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Good teams win ugly.

Boy was that ugly.

Yea... We know that feeling

dukelifer
02-17-2014, 09:15 PM
For sure. Before the game was postponed, Duke was 2.5-pt favorites. Since the Heels will have an extra day of rest advantage on Thursday (which wasn't the case the first time around), I could see the line being 2 or 1.5 this time around.

I expect Duke to be favored by 1 or 2 but this will be a very difficult team for Duke to beat. Will need to shoot very well.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-17-2014, 09:22 PM
"demanded focus on defense," first time in about 3 years or more I think Wheat, maybe more. unc has relied on complete offense with no focus on D, falls completely on Roy. We can bet a beer, or inexpensive fishing trip together of Thursday;)

Ok...I'll wager a full day light tackle backcountry fishing trip for 2, targeting Snook, Redfish and Speckled Trout ($650 value) if Duke wins, against two tickets to the Duke/UNC game in Cameron next season if UNC wins.

You in? :)

-jk
02-17-2014, 09:23 PM
Ok...I'll wager a full day light tackle backcountry fishing trip for 2, targeting Snook, Redfish and Speckled Trout ($650 value) if Duke wins, against two tickets to the Duke/UNC game in Cameron next season if UNC wins.

FYI, the current market value of a pair in Cameron this year is $1,800. Might want to try harder...

-jk

Wheat/"/"/"
02-17-2014, 09:28 PM
FYI, the current market value of a pair in Cameron this year is $1,800. Might want to try harder...

-jk

Darn, didn't realize they were that high these days.....Ok, I'll toss in two nights beachfront accommodations, and fresh fish prepared to your liking at a great restaurant.

Edit to add..(Accommodations subject to availability)

NashvilleDevil
02-17-2014, 09:29 PM
fsu is all over the holes midway through the first half.

booooooooo

Atlanta Duke
02-17-2014, 09:36 PM

-jk

Higher than that:o

Current price per ticket stats at $1067 and heads north to above $2000

http://seatgeek.com/north-carolina-tar-heels-at-duke-blue-devils-basketball-tickets/ncaa-basketball/2014-03-08-9-pm/1762284/

Saturday night Syracuse game starts at $1031 and also goes north of $2000 per ticket

http://seatgeek.com/syracuse-orange-at-duke-blue-devils-basketball-tickets/ncaa-basketball/2014-02-22-7-pm/1762428/

jipops
02-17-2014, 10:00 PM
Good teams win ugly.

Boy was that ugly.

Your guys scored 48 points in the 2nd half at FSU. I'd hardly call that ugly.

brevity
02-17-2014, 10:26 PM
Henderson ended it midway through the first half. You'd think we'd learn..

-jk

I'd pile on the (deserved) criticism, but I'm not in the dadgum Presidents' Day spirit.

jipops
02-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Is Roy's tailor completely blind?

oldnavy
02-18-2014, 06:09 AM

Funny that you mentioned that. He can wear some really ugly sports coats. I am not sure why he has such a fascination with plaid.

As far as the game. UNC is playing MUCH better now than they were a month ago, MUCH, MUCH better. As long as they can get into the lane they are very dangerous.

FSU had no answer for them last night and Paige just shredded them. Yes Meeks scored his career best, but let's be honest, most of those points were the result of great passes. I believe he hit one 8-10 foot jumper, the rest were point blank at the rim chippies set up by penetration or very poor defensive positioning by FSU.

Paige is a player to be reckoned with. He is getting better by the game. We will need to limit his ability to get into the lane or else I am afraid we will have another night like we did against Vermont where it became a layup drill...

Troublemaker
02-18-2014, 12:37 PM
I expect Duke to be favored by 1 or 2 but this will be a very difficult team for Duke to beat. Will need to shoot very well.

I would say we need to shoot well OR attack the basket well to get to the free throw line AND/OR offensive rebound well. I don't believe that, for example, a 30-35% shooting night from three automatically sinks our chances. But if we do happen to shoot well, I would love our chances instead of just like our chances to win.

ricks68
02-18-2014, 01:17 PM

Boy, that might be a deal if you could come up with a Snook about 30 lbs. or more. After you smoke it and allow for what the guy at the smokehouse steals, you got some nice slabs of the finest smoked fish in the world. That, you would have trouble finding at any price nowadays.:D

ricks

BlueDevilBrowns
02-18-2014, 01:49 PM
I would say we need to shoot well OR attack the basket well to get to the free throw line AND/OR offensive rebound well. I don't believe that, for example, a 30-35% shooting night from three automatically sinks our chances. But if we do happen to shoot well, I would love our chances instead of just like our chances to win.

Yep. If we just play to our season averages in 3pt Shooting Per Game(9-23), Rebounding Per Game(+2), and FT's Made Per Game(18), I feel we will win this game by at least 3 possesions (7 pts or more).

It will take a monumental shooting effort from the Heels and serious foul trouble for us for UNC to overcome our offense if we perform to our season averages.

Someone made the comment a couple of days ago that this year's Duke team reminded them of 2009's version of the Heels. I have to agree with that comparison. The Heels won that year because their offense was unstoppable and their defense was adequate(although it did improve as the year went on, especially in the NCAAT).

Just enough defense for Duke is all that's needed if our offense shows up to play Thursday.

Des Esseintes
02-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Yep. If we just play to our season averages in 3pt Shooting Per Game(9-23), Rebounding Per Game(+2), and FT's Made Per Game(18), I feel we will win this game by at least 3 possesions (7 pts or more).

It will take a monumental shooting effort from the Heels and serious foul trouble for us for UNC to overcome our offense if we perform to our season averages.

Someone made the comment a couple of days ago that this year's Duke team reminded them of 2009's version of the Heels. I have to agree with that comparison. The Heels won that year because their offense was unstoppable and their defense was adequate(although it did improve as the year went on, especially in the NCAAT).

Just enough defense for Duke is all that's needed if our offense shows up to play Thursday.
I've thought of that comp before, as well. It's worth pointing out that UNC *did* play pretty great defense in the tournament, though. I thought it would be their Achilles' heel going in, and instead they were lights out on both sides of the ball. They won every game by double digits. Not to say Duke can't do that; just to say the Heels brought it all together when they needed, and we should, you know, do that too.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-18-2014, 02:31 PM
I've thought of that comp before, as well. It's worth pointing out that UNC *did* play pretty great defense in the tournament, though. I thought it would be their Achilles' heel going in, and instead they were lights out on both sides of the ball. They won every game by double digits. Not to say Duke can't do that; just to say the Heels brought it all together when they needed, and we should, you know, do that too.

I think UNC is always gonna be underrated defensively because they push the ball so much on offense and we see more possessions. Just the way it is.

MChambers
02-18-2014, 02:43 PM
I think UNC is always gonna be underrated defensively because they push the ball so much on offense and we see more possessions. Just the way it is.
I'm pretty sure folks were referring to the Pomeroy defensive numbers, which are tempo neutral, so that's not it.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-18-2014, 02:50 PM
I'm really starting to like Nate Britt's game and his contributions. Against FSU, he played 21 minutes with 0 TO's. He can handle the rock, and has good, quick hands defensively. He also had a nice finish at the rim where he has struggled some. He can get there anytime he wants, but his finishing needs work. I think it's just him adjusting to the bigger college players inside.

He is looking more confident every game and I think his play could be a surprise against Duke because he's likely to see the floor a lot so that UNC can attack the rim.

If MacDonald doesn't start out hot at 2g, he'll platoon with Tokoto at SF, and Britt will take point moving Paige to the 2g spot.

It's interesting to note that a lot of the times Paige gets hot shooting is when Britt is on the floor.

Kedsy
02-18-2014, 03:14 PM

Well, in 2009, UNC's per possession defensive efficiency was decent (#35 in the country, adjusted by Pomeroy for competition) but not great before the NCAA tournament. I don't think they were underrated defensively going into the NCAAT. During the tournament, however, I thought UNC's defense was a couple notches better than it had been during the season. So I agree with Des Esseintes's assessment.

Des Esseintes
02-18-2014, 03:17 PM
I'm pretty sure folks were referring to the Pomeroy defensive numbers, which are tempo neutral, so that's not it.

Yeah, tempo-free defense is what I meant. Carolina made a big leap in the defensive rankings from the start of the tourney to its end in 2009. That team, loaded as it was, maybe coasted a bit through the regular season and "flipped the switch" when the postseason hit. (NCAA postseason. Carolina does not believe in the ACC tourney.) I generally disregard the notion of switch-flipping at the college level, but they, like the second UF title team, had so much talent and veteran leadership that I'm willing to buy the hypothesis.

Kedsy
02-18-2014, 03:20 PM
It's interesting to note that a lot of the times Paige gets hot shooting is when Britt is on the floor.

For a lot of players it's easier to focus on shooting and scoring when you're not the primary ballhandler. That would be especially true if you're a good catch-and-shoot guy.

As for Britt, he's shot poorly all season and his A/TO ratio is 1.3 to 1. He may be improving, but his oRating is still an abysmal 85.7. On defense, he does get steals, but he makes Quinn Cook look tall. If he plays a lot against Duke I don't think I'll be unhappy.

Troublemaker
02-18-2014, 03:42 PM

Agreed. And the reason FT Rate and Offensive Rebounding % are particularly noteworthy is because while UNC has played very good defense this season, those are two sore spots for them. They rank 192nd in the country in defensive FT Rate and 168th in the country in defensive rebounding %. Duke has been offensive rebounding well lately and in our previous game against MD, we did a good job getting to the FT line and cashing in to help make up for our poor outside shooting.

So, again, there are other paths to victory besides shooting very well. UNC fans (and I suppose some pessimistic Duke fans as well) will generally frame Duke-UNC games in terms of how well Duke shoots from outside, but there are usually more nuances than that. When UNC has Duke outmatched in talent, then it's true Duke probably DOES have to light it up from outside, but certainly this season isn't an example of that scenario.

We'll have to part ways here because I think that 2009 UNC team was their best team of the past 15 years or so (since 1998, I'd say). I like this Duke team but we're not on that level. '09 UNC's combination of talent + experience was so far above the rest of the country that year (especially once UConn's Jerome Dyson went down) that they gave some inconsistent effort at times during the regular season. But, for the important games, such as their NCAA games, they were dominant.

left_hook_lacey
02-19-2014, 02:13 AM

I read this and giggle-snorted.