PDA

View Full Version : Football success, no compromises

JasonEvans
02-17-2014, 12:02 PM
For those who have not seen it, the ACC came out with their list of the Academic All-Conference team (http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/2013-All-ACC-Academic-Football-Team-Announced_02-17-14_ruppdb). These are players who excel in the classroom and on the field. Duke had 21 players selected to the Academic All-ACC team. No other school had more than 6.

Duke's Perry Simmons was named the ACC's top scholar-athlete and has now been Academic All-ACC four straight seasons. His teammates Ross Cockrell and Dave Harding also achieved the very rare feat of being 4-time Academic All-ACC. Only 17 players in history have been honored as All-ACc scholar athletes 4 times -- Duke had 3 guys reach that mark this year.

Four Duke players who were 1st team All-ACC performers (an honor judged solely on their on-field performance) were also Academic All-ACC: Jamison Crowder, Kelby Brown, Laken Tomlinson, and Cockrell.

There is a lot more detail in the linked article. Bottom line -- Duke football has shown that you can win, in a big way, while not compromising academics AT ALL! None of these kids are majoring in Swahili either. Simmons is getting an Engineering degree at Duke. Cockrell is a Poli Sc major. Brandon Braxton is getting a dual degree in cultural anthropology and theater. Soph LB Kyler Brown of Duke is getting a dual degree in computer science and visual arts.

As proud as we all were about reaching the ACC Championship game and our performance in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl, this is what football at Duke is really about. What a wonderful bunch of kids and coaches to achieve this!

-Jason "worth noting that Jameis Winston also made Academic All-ACC -- impressive for a big-time, Hiesman-winning QB!" Evans

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Duke dominates the list once again with 21 players on the 2013 All ACC Football Academic Team.... the players selected from other schools make interesting additions to the list.
http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/2013-All-ACC-Academic-Football-Team-Announced_02-17-14_ruppdb

DukieInKansas
02-17-2014, 12:24 PM
And the student-athletes prove, once again, why it is great to be a Duke fan.

Congratulations to all of the players given this honor - from all schools. Thank you, Duke student-athletes, for making us all proud.

Native
02-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Proud to call these guys classmates and the team we've put on the field. People of high character. Those who I've gotten to know on the team are all awesome guys.

brevity
02-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Quiet appreciation for UNC junior placekicker Thomas Moore and UNC redshirt freshman linebacker Nathan Staub, who in a way are accomplishing something much more difficult: academic success at a place with an official position of no academic integrity.

Son of Jarhead
02-17-2014, 06:54 PM
Duke's Perry Simmons was named the ACC's top scholar-athlete and has now been Academic All-ACC four straight seasons. His teammates Ross Cockrell and Dave Harding also achieved the very rare feat of being 4-time Academic All-ACC. Only 17 players in history have been honored as All-ACC scholar athletes 4 times -- Duke had 3 guys reach that mark this year.

I wonder how many of those previous 14 four-time Academic All-ACC players are also Duke guys. My guess would be... a lot.

Henderson
02-17-2014, 07:03 PM
For those who have not seen it, the ACC came out with their list of the Academic All-Conference team (http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/2013-All-ACC-Academic-Football-Team-Announced_02-17-14_ruppdb). These are players who excel in the classroom and on the field. Duke had 21 players selected to the Academic All-ACC team. No other school had more than 6.

We had 21 Academic All Conference football players. Carolina had 2.

throatybeard
02-17-2014, 08:02 PM
None of these kids are majoring in Swahili either.

Did you actually say this?

bob blue devil
02-17-2014, 08:39 PM
quick question - how are these teams selected? just gpa or something more?

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-17-2014, 08:57 PM
quick question - how are these teams selected? just gpa or something more?
Quoting from The ACC's announcement:

To be eligible for consideration, a student-athlete must have earned a 3.00 grade point average for the previous semester and maintained a 3.00 cumulative average during his academic career. A student-athlete in graduate school must maintain a 3.5 grade point average. The ACC has selected an All-ACC Academic Football team every year since 1954.

The team was chosen from a pool of 122 ACC football student-athletes who were nominated by their schools.

diablesseblu
02-18-2014, 01:11 PM
http://www.news-record.com/blogs/clark_off_the_record/article_0cc40a30-98b3-11e3-ab75-0017a43b2370.html

DukieInKansas
02-18-2014, 02:09 PM
http://www.news-record.com/blogs/clark_off_the_record/article_0cc40a30-98b3-11e3-ab75-0017a43b2370.html

I'm not sure what surprised me most - a unc fan complimentary of Duke or the fact that it wasn't written in Swahili.

I must confess that seeing the thread title brings a smile to my face every time I see it.

rhynelander
02-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Thanks for posting this. It's so refreshing to hear that so many football players excelled in the classroom this year, especially during such a special season. Not to take anything away from these young men, who are excelling with engineer/ double majors at duke, with tons of athletic time requirements?!?! But I feel like the coaching staff must be emphasizing the student part just as much as the athlete. That's not always the case of course, unfortunately.

Great news! I was also curious if it's possible for a player who redshirts to be on the ACC Academic team five years? Does the redshirt year exclude the player from making the list?

The Gordog
02-18-2014, 02:42 PM

Duke's Perry Simmons was named the ACC's top scholar-athlete and has now been Academic All-ACC four straight seasons. His teammates Ross Cockrell and Dave Harding also achieved the very rare feat of being 4-time Academic All-ACC. Only 17 players in history have been honored as All-ACc scholar athletes 4 times -- Duke had 3 guys reach that mark this year.

Four Duke players who were 1st team All-ACC performers (an honor judged solely on their on-field performance) were also Academic All-ACC: Jamison Crowder, Kelby Brown, Laken Tomlinson, and Cockrell.

There is a lot more detail in the linked article. Bottom line -- Duke football has shown that you can win, in a big way, while not compromising academics AT ALL! None of these kids are majoring in Swahili either. Simmons is getting an Engineering degree at Duke. Cockrell is a Poli Sc major. Brandon Braxton is getting a dual degree in cultural anthropology and theater. Soph LB Kyler Brown of Duke is getting a dual degree in computer science and visual arts.

As proud as we all were about reaching the ACC Championship game and our performance in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl, this is what football at Duke is really about. What a wonderful bunch of kids and coaches to achieve this!

-Jason "worth noting that Jameis Winston also made Academic All-ACC -- impressive for a big-time, Hiesman-winning QB!" Evans

So proud of our guys! That's some serious work and consistency, trait which will serve them very well in their future.

And pleasantly surprised by the blog post. I hope UNC can right their ship academically, even while I hope their teams spiral into mediocrity.

Indoor66
02-18-2014, 05:35 PM
Serious people do serious work and have serious success.