PDA

View Full Version : Who's All-ACC going into crunch time of the season?

Wheat/"/"/"
02-17-2014, 07:41 AM
1st team:

Parker
Ennis
Warren
Harris
McDaniels

2nd team:

Fair
Paige
Hood
McAdoo
Patterson

POY: Parker

Those are my picks at the moment. Lots of ball to be played and all subject to change.

Wander
02-17-2014, 08:24 AM
Looks good, only change I'd make is putting Fair on first team over Harris, and consider replacing Harris with Brogdon, who I think beats him in basically every category except 3-point shooting.

JasonEvans
02-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Looks good, only change I'd make is putting Fair on first team over Harris, and consider replacing Harris with Brogdon, who I think beats him in basically every category except 3-point shooting.

Yeah, Virginia makes the All-ACC picks a real conundrum. They stand out as one of the top teams in the league, heck there is a good chance they win the regular season race, but there is no one who really stands out statistically for them and screams, "I'm All-ACC!" I think you probably give it to Harris because he is the senior and the team leader, but Brogdon has had a wonderful season.

-Jason "Fair has to be on the first team. Though Ennis has been clutch, I don't think he has been first team All-ACC quality" Evans

Matches
02-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Yea I agree Brogdon makes 1st team over Harris. Harris is probably 2nd team, bumping either Hood, Paige or McAdoo. My guess is one of the Heels slips to 3rd team.

Olivier Hanlan will get a fair number of votes too. He may be relegated to 3rd team but I wouldn't be surprised to see him sneak onto the 2nd team.

1999ballboy
02-17-2014, 09:20 AM
I'd put it approximately like this right now, but you could make a case for switching some of them.

1st:
Parker
Fair
Warren
Ennis
Brogdon

2nd:
Paige
McDaniels
Hood
Grant
Patterson

3rd:
Harris
McAdoo
Hanlan
Wells
Atkins

Honorable mentions: Miller-McIntyre, Cooney

It's hard to say whether Duke deserves any honorable mentions, because our third best player has been a different guy at different times this season. At different times it's been Cook, Sulaimon, or Jefferson. As a fan I'd like to vote for Amile, but if people vote based on stats then he doesn't stand out. He leads the conference in rebounds per 40 minutes, but is only 12th in overall boards.

vick
02-17-2014, 09:45 AM
I'd put it approximately like this right now, but you could make a case for switching some of them.

1st:
Parker
Fair
Warren
Ennis
Brogdon

2nd:
Paige
McDaniels
Hood
Grant
Patterson

3rd:
Harris
McAdoo
Hanlan
Wells
Atkins

Honorable mentions: Miller-McIntyre, Cooney

It's hard to say whether Duke deserves any honorable mentions, because our third best player has been a different guy at different times this season. At different times it's been Cook, Sulaimon, or Jefferson. As a fan I'd like to vote for Amile, but if people vote based on stats then he doesn't stand out. He leads the conference in rebounds per 40 minutes, but is only 12th in overall boards.

But he's fourth in the league in RPG if you look at conference play. Teams play unbalanced schedules within the conference but very unbalanced schedules out-of-conference; I don't think we should penalize Amile for getting two rebounds against Kansas's frontline.

I think your list isn't that far off from mine, though I would definitely switch Fair and McDaniels, probably Harris and Paige, and replace Atkins with Jefferson. After that, maybe I swap Wells for Cooney, but being 15th vs. 16th isn't much of a distinction.

left_hook_lacey
02-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Yeah, Virginia makes the All-ACC picks a real conundrum. They stand out as one of the top teams in the league, heck there is a good chance they win the regular season race, but there is no one who really stands out statistically for them and screams, "I'm All-ACC!" I think you probably give it to Harris because he is the senior and the team leader, but Brogdon has had a wonderful season.

-Jason "Fair has to be on the first team. Though Ennis has been clutch, I don't think he has been first team All-ACC quality" Evans

Virigina is the San Antonio spurs of the ACC right now. They don't dazzle you with extreme athletes of have that "face-of-the-team" type player, but they play solid basketball and get w's.

BlueDevilBrowns
02-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Virigina is the San Antonio spurs of the ACC right now. They don't dazzle you with extreme athletes of have that "face-of-the-team" type player, but they play solid basketball and get w's.

Which makes Bennett a slam dunk for ACC Coach of the Year.

Player of the year is a 3-way race between Fair, Parker, and Warren(with Parker nudging slightly ahead, IMO).

Had the Pack took care of business against Syracuse in the last few seconds on Saturday, TJ would be more of the favorite. It's hard to reward a player on a middle-of-the-road team as the conference's "Most Valuable".

One thing to remember, though, is Hood may take some votes from Parker and Ennis could take votes from Fair, so I can still see a scenario where Warren takes the award.

My 1st Team All-ACC is:

Parker
Warren
Fair
Ennis
Harris

davekay1971
02-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Which makes Bennett a slam dunk for ACC Coach of the Year.

Player of the year is a 3-way race between Fair, Parker, and Warren(with Parker nudging slightly ahead, IMO).

Had the Pack took care of business against Syracuse in the last few seconds on Saturday, TJ would be more of the favorite. It's hard to reward a player on a middle-of-the-road team as the conference's "Most Valuable".

Depends on how you define the MVP award. If you ask "who is the league's most outstanding player?" (ie: best player in the league) it probably comes down to Parker or Warren.

If you ask which player is most valuable to their team, think about what State would be like without Warren. With all due respect to the rest of their team, they would simply be a bottom tier ACC team instead of one that very well could end up above .500 in league play and is improving enough to warrant watching in the NIT. State needed the Syracuse win to have any realistic hope of finishing strong enough for an at-large NCAA bid, but it was an impressive performance in the Carrier Dome, and continues the team's upward trend...but that improvement has been carried on the shoulders of Warren who's been in beast mode for State for awhile now.

I know there is a bias against choosing MOP/MVP candidates from teams outside of the top tier of the conference, but Warren may be worthy of an exception this season, if he continues his strong play down the stretch. IMHO, Parker is the only other player in the conference who should be in the conversation with Warren. However, Parker's defensive lapses and a little bit of freshman-inconsistency, plus the fact that teams gang-tackle Warren every night and still can't stop him, give Warren the edge.

nocilla
02-17-2014, 01:03 PM
I know there is a bias against choosing MOP/MVP candidates from teams outside of the top tier of the conference...

Erick Green says Hi.

Although the point is still valid. Green and Len Bias are the only ACC POYs to be on a team with a losing ACC record.

royalblue
02-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Look at clutch play and great play I love ACC college hoops looking for a Danny and or Melo finish to the year Great Players plus the best coach to slip on the loafers means the future is bright GGLC

Parker
Warren
KJ
Fair
Ennis

UVA top coach Harris/Brogdon both on 2nd team
Bennett best job in many years in ACC play

Dukehky
02-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Look at clutch play and great play I love ACC college hoops looking for a Danny and or Melo finish to the year Great Players plus the best coach to slip on the loafers means the future is bright GGLC

Parker
Warren
KJ
Fair
Ennis

UVA top coach Harris/Brogdon both on 2nd team
Bennett best job in many years in ACC play

I don't understand what any of that meant.

Parker
Warren
Ennis
Hood
Fair

I think Jefferson pulls down some 3rd team votes.

JasonEvans
02-17-2014, 02:34 PM

I think the punctuation functions, especially the comma and period buttons, are broken on his phone/keyboard. That is my only explanation. Reading that sentence made my head hurt.

-Jason

Troublemaker
02-17-2014, 02:43 PM
The "Danny" in royalblue's post is Danny Manning, I'm pretty sure. royalblue is saying he would like to see Jabari Parker carry Duke to a national championship a la Manning with Kansas in '88 and Carmelo Anthony with Syracuse in '03.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-17-2014, 05:08 PM
If McAdoo keeps playing at his current high level (http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/ACCMBB-Weekly-Award-Winners-Announced_02-17-14_s6dl20), there's a chance he can move into first team territory, and I'll enjoy watching a few heads explode around here. :)

sagegrouse
02-17-2014, 05:42 PM

For a million pieces of popcorn, can anyone diagram the quoted sentence?

Kindly, Sage

vick
02-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Actually, while we're on the subject of ACC honors, anyone have any thoughts on defensive player of the year? UVa's had the best team defense, but I'm not sure they have an individual standout defender, though I've always thought Mitchell's defensive value isn't fully appreciated. Christmas is a great rim-protector for Syracuse, but 1) doesn't play huge minutes and 2) is only so-so on the defensive glass. I think McDaniels is one of two players (along with Miller for GT) who averages more than one steal and two blocks a game, and versatility is really valuable. I'm sure I'm missing some obvious contenders though.

77devil
02-17-2014, 05:54 PM

Kindly, Sage

Trick question from the wily Sage because it is not possible, but if you spot me some punctuation I'll give it a try.

Edouble
02-17-2014, 06:13 PM

Kindly, Sage

OK, I am going to give it my best shot.

"Look at clutch play and great play I love ACC college hoops looking for a Danny and or Melo finish to the year Great Players plus the best coach to slip on the loafers means the future is bright GGLC"

Here we go:

(I) look at clutch play and great play (when choosing my All-ACC teams)!

I love ACC college hoops!!!

(I am) looking for (Jabari Parker to have) a Danny (Manning) and (/) or Melo (-like) finish to the year (and lead us to a National Championship)!

(This year's) Great Players plus the best coach to slip on the loafers means (we will have a good tournament run this season).

(Next year's incoming class assures us that) the future is bright (for Duke hoops)!

Unfortunately, I have no idea what "GGLC" stands for.

Bob Green
02-17-2014, 06:29 PM
Unfortunately, I have no idea what "GGLC" stands for.

Getting Giggly Losing Control.

sagegrouse
02-17-2014, 07:41 PM
To get back to the topic of the thread, John Gasaway of ESPN includes five ACC players among his top 25. "Most valuable to the team," he says, "not to the NBA." These five are --

Jabari Parker (DU)
Tyler Ennis (SU)
Lamar Patterson (PT)
CJ Fair (SU)
KJ McDaniels (CL)

The collective first team from the above posts names nine players. No one names Lamar Patterson.

Parker
Ennis
Warren
Harris
McDaniels
Fair
Brogdon
KJ
Hood

The preseason All-ACC was --

C.J. Fair, Syracuse
Joe Harris, Virginia
Rodney Hood, Duke
Jerian Grant, Notre Dame
Jabari Parker, Duke

Grant, of course, succumbed to injuries. It is quite possible that the only rep from this team will be Jabari, if Fair gets edged out by Ennis. As it stands now, Syracuse may well get two positions.

Then there is the State of North Carolina bias, where over one-third of the voters come from that state. I think that helps Warren and maybe Paige squeeze onto the first team, depending on what happens the next three weeks.

I can only offer an all-opponent team, based on watching Duke:

Fair and Grant, Syracuse
Wells, Maryland
Brogdon, UVa
McDaniels Clemson

throatybeard
02-17-2014, 07:49 PM

I think Vitale stole someone's login.

duke96
02-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Getting Giggly Losing Control.

Gotta Get my Lithium Capsules

dball
02-17-2014, 08:50 PM
I think the punctuation functions, especially the comma and period buttons, are broken on his phone/keyboard. That is my only explanation. Reading that sentence made my head hurt.

-Jason

perhaps gglc is Leopold Bloom.

dpslaw
02-17-2014, 09:48 PM
If McAdoo keeps playing at his current high level (http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/ACCMBB-Weekly-Award-Winners-Announced_02-17-14_s6dl20), there's a chance he can move into first team territory, and I'll enjoy watching a few heads explode around here. :)

Well, he should be well-rested for Thursday!

FerryFor50
02-17-2014, 09:57 PM
perhaps gglc is Leopold Bloom.

We could ask the guy on the boards with the screen handle GGLC.

burnspbesq
02-17-2014, 10:43 PM
We could ask the guy on the boards with the screen handle GGLC.

Where's the fun in that?

erc128
02-17-2014, 10:52 PM
Ennis
Brogdon
Warren
Parker
McDaniels

hard to leave out Fair, wanted at least 2 guards

COY Bennett if Virginia beats Syracuse if not Boehiem

Wheat/"/"/"
02-17-2014, 10:55 PM
Well, he should be well-rested for Thursday!

It's a crazy game some nights. That early shot to the ribs shook him up and then he just never got into the flow of the game with the early fouls.

Fortunately Meeks stepped up and Johnson played hard, if not smart.

JMM's got to put this one behind him and be ready Thursday.

That game pretty much put him out of any 1st team All ACC hope.

Paige could still be in the hunt if he puts the pedal down the rest of the way.

JasonEvans
02-18-2014, 07:45 AM
Having nothing to do with the North Carolina-centric locale of the All-ACC voters, I think we are being foolish to not include Marcus Paige among the very likely All-ACC first team contenders. Heck, I'd put him there over Ennis at this point. Ennis has been clutch, but Paige is pretty much single-handedly lifting Carolina up among the top teams in the league. Without him, Carolina is probably below .500 this season.

-Jason "Parker, Warren, Fair, Paige, McDaniels (or maybe Brogdon or Harris or Patterson) is the team right now" Evans

flyingdutchdevil
02-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Having nothing to do with the North Carolina-centric locale of the All-ACC voters, I think we are being foolish to not include Marcus Paige among the very likely All-ACC first team contenders. Heck, I'd put him there over Ennis at this point. Ennis has been clutch, but Paige is pretty much single-handedly lifting Carolina up among the top teams in the league. Without him, Carolina is probably below .500 this season.

-Jason "Parker, Warren, Fair, Paige, McDaniels (or maybe Brogdon or Harris or Patterson) is the team right now" Evans

Unfortunately, I think you're right, and it's not because I don't like Paige (he's the one UNC player I enjoy watching).

But the ACC media has historically voted for players with stats, and it isn't even a competition between Paige and Ennis.

ppg / apg / rpg / FG%
Paige: 17.2 / 4.6 / 3.4 / 43.1%
Ennis: 11.8 / 5.6 / 3.2 / 42.2%

Both players are similar in rebounds and shooting percentage, Ennis has 1 more assist per game, but Paige absolutely blows Ennis out of the water with points.

mph
02-18-2014, 03:39 PM
The "Danny" in royalblue's post is Danny Manning, I'm pretty sure. royalblue is saying he would like to see Jabari Parker carry Duke to a national championship a la Manning with Kansas in '88 and Carmelo Anthony with Syracuse in '03.

Well done, Troublemaker. That's a remarkable bit of translating. I'm reminded of SNL's parody of the first Bush v Gore debate, with Troublemaker playing the part of Gore. If you don't get the reference, cue the first video on this page (http://www.jpetrie.net/2009/05/22/bush-gore-2000-debates/) to the 3:20 mark.

Olympic Fan
02-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Unfortunately, I think you're right, and it's not because I don't like Paige (he's the one UNC player I enjoy watching).

But the ACC media has historically voted for players with stats, and it isn't even a competition between Paige and Ennis.

ppg / apg / rpg / FG%
Paige: 17.2 / 4.6 / 3.4 / 43.1%
Ennis: 11.8 / 5.6 / 3.2 / 42.2%

Both players are similar in rebounds and shooting percentage, Ennis has 1 more assist per game, but Paige absolutely blows Ennis out of the water with points.

Indeed, the bias of the ACC voters has always been for scorers, especially over playmakers.

Kendall Marshall had the greatest playmaking season in ACC history in 2012 and didn't make first team All-ACC (beaten out by teammate Harrison Barnes, who scored more, but did less). Chris Corchiani had the greatest career assist average in ACC history (Hurley had more assists, but in more games) and he never made first-team All-ACC. Hurley set the NCAA assist record and led Duke to three Final Fours and two national championships -- he finally made the first-team as a senior when his scoring climbed from 13 to 17 ppg.

As for the so-called North Carolina bias, I know that's something the Maryland fans have claimed over the years, but where's the evidence? Just happens that twice in ACC history a Duke national player of the year (Dawkins in 1986, Jason Williams in 2002) lost ACC player of the year honors to a Maryland player (Bias in '86; Dixon in '02). Where was the NC bias there? The worst vote in ACC history was when John Roche of South Carolina was twice picked ahead of Charlie Scott as ACC POY. In 1979, Maryland's Albert King beat out Duke's Mike Gminski for ACC POY -- G-man scored .4 ppg less than King, shot a better percentage and almost doubled him in rebounds ... where was the NC bias there? Georgia Tech's Ed Nelson over Julius Hodge for ACC rookie of the year in 2002?

How many similar ridiculous votes can you find the other way -- where non-Big Four players got screwed by the North Carolina majority? Okay, I'll give you one -- in 1989 soph Dennis Scott averaged 20.3 ppg for an 8-6 Georgia Tech team and was beaten out for second-team All-ACC, by Kevin Madden (14.6 ppg) and Steve Bucknall (13.1 ppg) for a UNC team that finished 9-5 in the league With JR Reid, Rick Fox, Scott Williams, King Rice and Jeff Lebo -- it's not like Madden and Bucknall carried the team.

But the majority -- the great majority -- of the voting injustices over the years include players from North Carolina getting screwed by outside players.

Dev11
02-18-2014, 05:35 PM
Grant, of course, succumbed to injuries.

That's awfully kind of you, Mr. Grouse.

sagegrouse
02-18-2014, 07:11 PM
That's awfully kind of you, Mr. Grouse.

Naw, it was just stupidity.

CDu
02-18-2014, 08:19 PM
If I were given a vote and it had to be right now:

1st team: Paige, Brogdon, McDaniels, Warren, Parker
2nd team: Ennis, Hanlan, Patterson, Fair, McAdoo (shaky)
3rd team: Atkins, Wells, Hood, Zanna, Sherman

It's an interesting ACC this year. Very few quality post men and very few quality PG. It's a very wing-heavy league this year.

Obviously a lot of time left. A guy like Joe Harris could make his way back on the list (it's amazing how down his year has been compared to last year). As could a guy like Sulaimon or Cook. And guys like McAdoo, Zanna, and Sherman could play their way off the list, too.