PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 84, Maryland 63

AIM4excellence
02-16-2014, 06:30 PM
The men beat Maryland in their last regular conference visit to Cameron. Let's hope the women can do the same!

wandalee
02-16-2014, 07:27 PM
I'm a little nervous about this game. We have to play so much better than we have for the last several games.

aswewere
02-16-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm a little nervous about this game. We have to play so much better than we have for the last several games.

A little coaching would help.

Tappan Zee Devil
02-16-2014, 09:33 PM

Snarky, unhelpful, uninformative and gratuitous piling on.

aswewere
02-16-2014, 10:18 PM
Snarky, unhelpful, uninformative and gratuitous piling on.

Uninformative -- as a season ticket holder for 15 years I am trying to be kind.

Kedsy
02-16-2014, 10:21 PM

See, this is what I'm worried about. I really don't want to face another post-game thread like the last two.

As for aswewere's comment, in the last 5 and a half seasons, Coach P's teams have won 171 games and lost 28 (an 86.4% winning percentage) and the team has not finished lower than 6th in the country in the final AP poll. That all happen by accident?

aswewere
02-17-2014, 06:25 AM
See, this is what I'm worried about. I really don't want to face another post-game thread like the last two.

As for aswewere's comment, in the last 5 and a half seasons, Coach P's teams have won 171 games and lost 28 (an 86.4% winning percentage) and the team has not finished lower than 6th in the country in the final AP poll. That all happen by accident?

Most of the time we had 5 to 7 Big Macs, that was nice since the other teams had about 10.

miramar
02-17-2014, 11:26 AM
It would be nice to send the Twerps out with an L, just as the men did.

I would respectfully suggest a truce until then.

AIM4excellence
02-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Where is everybody? Duke is up 46-39 in the second half.

Ky-Dukie
02-17-2014, 08:21 PM
I would like to see them get out of the zone. Is Amber going to be able to play any the rest of the year ?

AIM4excellence
02-17-2014, 08:34 PM
I would like to see them get out of the zone. Is Amber going to be able to play any the rest of the year ?

This game the zone seems to be working since Maryland can't make the 3. Keeping Alyssa Thomas out of the middle where she's most dangerous. Maryland desperately needs a coaching adjustment right now. If they can penetrate into the paint, move the zone and find the open player, they can force Duke out of the zone. Of course that open player has to make the bucket for this to work, but they've got to try something as this isn't working.

Ky-Dukie
02-17-2014, 08:40 PM
It's working better now than it was earlier, as they seem to be more active. Also it's helping that Maryland isn't hitting the three. Really glad to see Chidom and Cooper getting good minutes.

DU82
02-17-2014, 08:43 PM
This game the zone seems to be working since Maryland can't make the 3. Keeping Alyssa Thomas out of the middle where she's most dangerous. Maryland desperately needs a coaching adjustment right now. If they can penetrate into the paint, move the zone and find the open player, they can force Duke out of the zone. Of course that open player has to make the bucket for this to work, but they've got to try something as this isn't working.

We've been in the zone, but every time Thomas touched the ball, she was double-teamed. The zone makes that easier to do. And Maryland mostly missing the outside shot has obviously helped. Thomas went down in pain after a loose ball on. The floor, but is now back in the game. Looked bad for a moment.

miramar
02-17-2014, 08:56 PM
You won't be missed, not even for a minute.

dukelifer
02-17-2014, 09:04 PM
It would be nice to send the Twerps out with an L, just as the men did.

I would respectfully suggest a truce until then.

An impressive beatdown by Duke.

stillcrazie
02-17-2014, 09:13 PM
I will miss the Duke v. Maryland women's games!!! Usually better competition than tonight, and Brenda is always entertaining.

OZ
02-17-2014, 09:15 PM

Since we blew out the #8 team, can we still blame the coach?

throatybeard
02-17-2014, 09:17 PM
Okay, that's done. Does this mean we never have to hear about Maryland ever again?

By the was, a little questionable of us to shoot that three with one second left. I didn't see which player it was.

-jk
02-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Okay, that's done. Does this mean we never have to hear about Maryland ever again?

By the was, a little questionable of us to shoot that three with one second left. I didn't see which player it was.

Had to completely ruin the twins' birthday.

Emotion...

-jk

burnspbesq
02-17-2014, 09:45 PM

It was Alexis. I'm willing to assume it wasn't an intentionally bush-league move, but it was a bush-league move all the same. Just roll the ball to the official to kill the remainder of the clock. And stop closing out on shooters at half-speed with your hands down. The worst defensive fundamentals of any Duke women's player since Wynter Whitley.

wandalee
02-17-2014, 09:49 PM
What a great win! They played well as a team, something they haven't done in a while. Haley still didn't have a great offensive game, but we got really good contributions from Oderah and Kendall off the bench.

And it was Alexis who hit the 3 at the end of the game. I'm hoping she thought the time had expired and just threw it up towards the basket.

Des Esseintes
02-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Uninformative -- as a season ticket holder for 15 years I am trying to be kind.

Thanks so much for your kindness. I hear it really put the girls over the top.

DU82
02-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Well, that was better!

It was a pretty balanced game early, although I thought we played better, but missing a few chippies and Maryland getting almost every long rebound (at least it seemed that way) and I was worried about which way the game would go. However, we went to a zone, but a more active one that I've seen recently. That, plus some decent movement on the offensive end put Duke up 38-31 at the half.

The second half was better. On defense, almost exclusively a zone, but the difference was double-teaming Thomas almost every time she touched the ball inside. Many times she took the ball from the rebounder, drove down the middle, but when she was met at the free throw line, she dumped a pass out to the right, then tried to set up down low. She rarely got the ball back. Credit to the coaches for making that switch at the half, it's not an adjustment we've seen a lot. OF course, Maryland not hitting from three well helped, too.

Offensively there was more movement than we've seen lately. There also weren't a lot of fouls called early. It was 5-2 against Duke in the first half, although other than the last call against Elizabeth I didn't think there was an advantage either way. Second half, they started calling it tighter, which helped us out, since Maryland's offense was out of sync.

Alexis really led the team today. There were a couple of too-quick shots (although the first two threes went in) but over all was in control, didn't try to do too much. She did put up the last shot when everybody thought she was dribbling out the clock, so I didn't see exactly what/how/why she put it up.

Tricia was solid, nothing spectacular, two threes and good decisions. Her ball handling was a little shaky when Maryland started pressing late with Alexis taking a short rest, but after a couple of turnovers the team figured out how to break it. Sixteen turnovers, though, was still too many for the team, many unforced.

Elizabeth was really active underneath on D, and showed moves on O that we rarely see. I haven't watched Maryland this year to know if their defense is usually as bad as it was tonight. Their interior defenders were slow, and really couldn't respond to our ball movement.

Richa was fabulous on offense tonight, steady and good moves to the basket.

Haley is still struggling with her shot (1 for 7) but her defense was great, recognizing when to double-team (mostly Thomas) and getting out on shooters to make sure there weren't too many open threes.

The bench was primarily Oderah and Kendall. Oderah in particular was solid, showing some decent moves on offense. Kendall was 3 for 3. Ka'lia played one minute in the first half, made a mistake on D, and didn't play again. Not sure what's up with that. More troubling was that Chloe wasn't on the bench. That leaves Alexis as the only true point guard. Without her on the court, we'll get eaten up by a press (as we did for a minute during this game.) Tricia doesn't have a good enough handle to bring it up regularly against a pressing defense.

Bottom line, improvement all around. Looked like a good game plan against a decent team, executed well by the players. Next up is a much improved NC State team on Thursday, let's hope these improvements continue.

(Although, remember we were #7 playing #8, so we were expected to win. :-) )

buddy
02-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Best performance since Chelsea went down. Solid defense, good shooting. Sorry that Alexis took the 3 pointer with everyone walking off the floor. Whether she meant it as such or not, that was bush league. We should be better than that. Hopefully the staff gets that straightened out. Glad to see the team play with a killer instinct--once they got control they kept up the pressure.

burnspbesq
02-17-2014, 10:36 PM
Thursday night is going to be tough on people who have tickets for both games. Hopefully we'll blow out the Wuffettes so folks can get an early start on the road to Hell.

And please, media, can we stop this nonsense about Louisville as a potential number one seed. It's us, Stanford, and South Carolina competing for two slots.

Kedsy
02-18-2014, 12:36 AM
We outrebounded a team that had been outrebounding its opponents by more than 12 boards a game. We especially hammered them on the offensive glass -- Maryland usually grabs over 72% of available defensive rebounds, but we held them to 56.7% in that category.

We appeared a bit flummoxed by Maryland's press, but overall I thought Duke looked really solid against a top ten team. This was our third top ten win of the season and sixth win over a ranked team (out of 9 games overall against ranked teams).

The improvement from last Monday to tonight was palpable, which to me says we had a pretty good week of coaching. But I doubt the nellies will deign to come out and say so.

MCFinARL
02-18-2014, 10:08 AM

Probably not, unfortunately, as we may well meet them again in the ACC tournament. But we're close.

The improvement from last Monday to tonight was palpable, which to me says we had a pretty good week of coaching. But I doubt the nellies will deign to come out and say so.

I don't disagree with this--I think some good coaching almost certainly [since I wasn't there I can't be more definite] occurred. But apparently, according to the game commentators, there was also a players-only meeting after the UNC loss--which may have helped the Blue Devils get back on track as well. Their defensive effort and focus and their team communication both seemed measurably improved.

MCFinARL
02-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Well, that was better!

The bench was primarily Oderah and Kendall. Oderah in particular was solid, showing some decent moves on offense. Kendall was 3 for 3. Ka'lia played one minute in the first half, made a mistake on D, and didn't play again. Not sure what's up with that. More troubling was that Chloe wasn't on the bench. That leaves Alexis as the only true point guard. Without her on the court, we'll get eaten up by a press (as we did for a minute during this game.) Tricia doesn't have a good enough handle to bring it up regularly against a pressing defense.

Not on the bench as in not dressed, or not on the bench as in not with the team at all? If the latter, what does that mean? Last I heard, her injury put her "out indefinitely," which is scary but, by definition, indefinite. But even if she were out for the season, like Chelsea, she would be sitting with the team, no?

brevity
02-18-2014, 10:22 AM

Probably not, unfortunately, as we may well meet them again in the ACC tournament. But we're close.

There will be no more scheduled games against Maryland for a long while. But I think Duke will face the Big Ten Maryland women a lot sooner than the Big Ten Maryland men. The NCAA Women's Tournament Selection Committee, which is like the men's tournament committee but less professional, will put Duke and Maryland in the same region in the not too distant future. After all, this is the same institution that put Tennessee and Vanderbilt as the top 2 seeds in the same region several years back. Anything goes.

dubldvman
02-18-2014, 10:34 AM
We outrebounded a team that had been outrebounding its opponents by more than 12 boards a game. We especially hammered them on the offensive glass -- Maryland usually grabs over 72% of available defensive rebounds, but we held them to 56.7% in that category.

We appeared a bit flummoxed by Maryland's press, but overall I thought Duke looked really solid against a top ten team. This was our third top ten win of the season and sixth win over a ranked team (out of 9 games overall against ranked teams).

Well, this nellie believes that Coach P's in-game coaching was excellent during this game. She made some very good adjustments mid-way through the first half particularly on the defensive end. Duke picked their poison on the double teaming of Alyssa Thomas typically when she got in the paint and, for the most part, it paid off other than a few wide open threes from perimeter players. Our zone was very active and our rebounding in the 2nd half was outstanding against a very long, athletic team. The players seemed to respond out of most every time out which suggests to me that the coach-player-coach communication in the huddle was effective. I was very concerned about this game as one which could potentially take this team down one of two very different paths for the remainder of the season and, like all Blue Devil fans, we should be proud of our team and coach on this night.

The fact that this was by far the smallest crowd of a Duke-Maryland women'ss game in recent years-and I have attended all of them-is not about disloyalty to our program-it is actually about a number of examples during the past few years when we did not appear to either be prepared well or execute well enough to compete with elite teams. I am not sure that I am smart enough to know the difference. But, although Maryland is not what I would characterize as "elite" this year or during the past few years, it was obvious that Coach P did a very good job since the Carolina game in getting the team's attention and making improvements. Credit to her-the path through State, Notre Dame and Carolina is going to be a challenge and I want her and this team to succeed. Go Duke!

MCFinARL
02-18-2014, 10:35 AM
There will be no more scheduled games against Maryland for a long while. But I think Duke will face the Big Ten Maryland women a lot sooner than the Big Ten Maryland men. The NCAA Women's Tournament Selection Committee, which is like the men's tournament committee but less professional, will put Duke and Maryland in the same region in the not too distant future. After all, this is the same institution that put Tennessee and Vanderbilt as the top 2 seeds in the same region several years back. Anything goes.

True--plus, with the women's game, there is always an effort to create matchups that will draw more audience interest--and a match up of former ACC rivals (on the women's side, I would argue that Maryland really is Duke's rival--at least their second rival) would be such a game.

-bdbd
02-18-2014, 10:48 AM
Really great win for the ladies. And obviously there were some good coching adjustments during the game. 'had a suspicion we'd see a "bounceback" effort.

I continue to believe that this team has tremendous potential. The really difficult schedule over the next two weeks, which the ESPN studio announcer characterized as an "opportunity" (to demonstrate ourselves as a true #1 seed), will be daunting though. I doubt that we can win more than one more and still expect a #1 seed in the NCAAT.

Dukehky
02-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Best performance since Chelsea went down. Solid defense, good shooting. Sorry that Alexis took the 3 pointer with everyone walking off the floor. Whether she meant it as such or not, that was bush league. We should be better than that. Hopefully the staff gets that straightened out. Glad to see the team play with a killer instinct--once they got control they kept up the pressure.

*Busch League--- league that is lesser than Nascar, just FYI

Also, DWB is unlike men's basketball in that, at least from what I remember, they really dislike some other teams. Especially Maryland and UNC, like the level of dislike on both a personal and team level is much higher. I don't care if she did it on purpose, I don't think she did, and I doubt it will cover more than 5 seconds of conversation after the game, other than, Lex, you dummy type comments.

Great game. The effort was great. We can make a Final Four run if we don't get in a bracket with UCONN and we keep up the effort on the defensive end and if we continue to not miss lay-ups, which is evidently our biggest offensive weakness.

Mike Corey
02-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Great and convincing win last night. Happy for the team.

wandalee
02-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Not on the bench as in not dressed, or not on the bench as in not with the team at all? If the latter, what does that mean? Last I heard, her injury put her "out indefinitely," which is scary but, by definition, indefinite. But even if she were out for the season, like Chelsea, she would be sitting with the team, no?

Chloe was not on the bench (or behind the bench) during any of the game. I listened to the radio broadcast on my way to Cameron and those guy just talked about her lingering shin injury, buy made no mention of her not being at the game. It would be great to have her back for the rest of the season, but her absence last night may mean she is done.

aswewere
02-18-2014, 01:10 PM
Chloe was not on the bench (or behind the bench) during any of the game. I listened to the radio broadcast on my way to Cameron and those guy just talked about her lingering shin injury, buy made no mention of her not being at the game. It would be great to have her back for the rest of the season, but her absence last night may mean she is done.

Done it is with a very little if.

CameronBornAndBred
02-18-2014, 02:35 PM
I will miss the Duke v. Maryland women's games!!! Usually better competition than tonight, and Brenda is always entertaining.
I am quite sure we will play again, but it won't be in Cameron and it won't be in the regular season for a long time. BUT..the fact is there are a limited number of programs that Duke can consistently look to for good competition that will help our SOS...and the Twerps happen to be one of them. The men have many, many more choices.
Great game last night, loved seeing us finally step for a big game and playing like the team that they are...and should be.

Duvall
02-18-2014, 04:55 PM
I don't disagree with this--I think some good coaching almost certainly [since I wasn't there I can't be more definite] occurred. But apparently, according to the game commentators, there was also a players-only meeting after the UNC loss--which may have helped the Blue Devils get back on track as well. Their defensive effort and focus and their team communication both seemed measurably improved.

Still, defensive effort and focus is something that is fairly credited to the coach, more so that a lot of other factors. Duke usually plays with effort, but this was an inspired effort, with Williams setting the tone from the beginning. Fun to watch.

AIM4excellence
02-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Done it is with a very little if.

And you know this how?