PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Syracuse 56, NC State 55

slower
02-15-2014, 09:05 PM
State screws the pooch at the end. Had the ball under their own basket, with the lead, with about 5 seconds left and turned it over on the inbounds pass. Fair makes the layup at the other end. Brutal.

GGLC
02-15-2014, 09:07 PM
Absolutely ridiculous. And hilarious that they couldn't even get a one-and-one on that foul at the end.

Syracuse didn't deserve that one.

Billy Dat
02-15-2014, 09:07 PM
Anyone just watch the Pack fail to not turn the ball over twice in the final 30 seconds and allow Syracuse a lay-up with 5 seconds left to lose the game? I have to hand it to Syracuse, they keep their cool. Tyler Ennis wasn't even the hero, he got called for what should have been a game ending charge with 15 seconds left, but the Pack just couldn't get out of their own way. We are meant to end this streak next week!

BlueDevilBrowns
02-15-2014, 09:09 PM
State screws the pooch at the end.

And Syracuse's "Season of Dreams" continues. I said this earlier this week and I'll say it again... The 'Cuse's luck HAS to run out at some point, right?

This is getting ridiculous.:mad:

P.S. And TJ Warren should have gotten the continuation on the foul(for precedent, see the Dez Wells play in our game).

Channing
02-15-2014, 09:10 PM
What is with teams wetting themselves down the stretch against SU?

slower
02-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Absolutely ridiculous. And hilarious that they couldn't even get a one-and-one on that foul at the end.

Syracuse didn't deserve that one.

Not sure that we're in any position to throw stones tonight. :p

GGLC
02-15-2014, 09:13 PM
And Syracuse's "Season of Dreams" continues. I said this earlier this week and I'll say it again... The 'Cuse's luck HAS to run out at some point, right?

This is getting ridiculous.:mad:

P.S. And TJ Warren should have gotten the continuation on the foul(for precedent, see the Dez Wells play in our game).

I agree that that could easily have been called a continuation.

fogey
02-15-2014, 09:19 PM
Another homer call saves the Cuse. There is no doubt that their guy had an "and one" on the last play, would have given State a 3 (or 4) point lead. Typical continuation play, one step and lay in after the hack.
Yeah, State choked it up, but that bad call was their doom. Refs really get caught up in the Carrier Dome, I guess.

wsb3
02-15-2014, 09:21 PM
I agree that that could easily have been called a continuation.

I would like to see that play again. I was torn between wanting State to win but also hoping Cuse would still be undefeated & we would get the chance to knock them off.

jv001
02-15-2014, 09:22 PM
Another homer call saves the Cuse. There is no doubt that their guy had an "and one" on the last play, would have given State a 3 (or 4) point lead. Typical continuation play, one step and lay in after the hack.
Yeah, State choked it up, but that bad call was their doom. Refs really get caught up in the Carrier Dome, I guess.

It looked like the ref at first called the basket good and then changed his mind. I have to give the Orange credit. They play tough defense and can really double team the basketball. GoDuke!

jipops
02-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Good teams escape in games like these. But Cuse is also so very close to having 3 losses right now.

Kfanarmy
02-15-2014, 09:38 PM
It looked like the ref at first called the basket good and then changed his mind. I have to give the Orange credit. They play tough defense and can really double team the basketball. GoDuke!It sure looked like he called that ball good then changed his mind...it was a bit odd.

jv001
02-15-2014, 09:43 PM
It sure looked like he called that ball good then changed his mind...it was a bit odd.

If Duke had gotten that call(first call the basket good and then waive it off), it would be on ESPN every hour for a month. GoDuke!

Kimist
02-15-2014, 10:38 PM
Good teams escape in games like these. But Cuse is also so very close to having 3 losses right now.

...the overall importance of "closeness" in the throwing of horseshoes and hand grenades comes to mind...

k

moonpie23
02-15-2014, 11:02 PM
seems like the cuse is ALWAYS getting credit for pulling it out………not luck….

we can complain about the officiating, but if it was us, we'd be all over how "strong" we were...

Son of Jarhead
02-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Just when did the 'Cuse mascot become an orange tabby?

Agree that Warren should have gotten continuation for an And1 there... as BlueDevilBrowns said "for precedent, see the Dez Wells play in our game"... but, give Syracuse credit, like a cat with 9 lives, they find a way to survive.

UrinalCake
02-15-2014, 11:56 PM

If it wasn't an and-one then it should have been a technical foul for stopping a guy with a clear path to the basket. Syracuse player was completely behind him.

Still, State basically gave the game away

- Had the ball with the lead with around 30 seconds left, guy dribbles it off of his foot for a TO
- Good D to draw the charge on Syracuse
- Had the ball again and after a Syracuse foul, State turns it over immediately after the in-bounds pass
- Let Syracuse get the layup instead of fouling before the shot or grabbing the guy hard so he'd have to earn it at the line

Major props to State for getting themselves in a position to win that game; unfortunately they just failed to close.

MaxAMillion
02-16-2014, 12:00 AM

I think there is some doubt because the foul came before he left the floor to lay it in. Clearly it is a continuation in the NBA but I didn't think it was one in the SU game. In slow motion you see the foul before the shot is taken.

Slackerb
02-16-2014, 09:28 AM
I think there is some doubt because the foul came before he left the floor to lay it in. Clearly it is a continuation in the NBA but I didn't think it was one in the SU game. In slow motion you see the foul before the shot is taken.

Yes but seriously, that call is made all the time as a continuation. If it's not a shooting foul, how do you foul a guy in the back going to the basket and it not be a technical?

State shouldn't have let this one go even with that call, but that was a complete game changer. State got hosed.

Heres the play, for those of you who didn't see it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZoFy4mNBEOU

I'm not the only one that thinks it at least should have been a tech:

"Joe Giglio@jwgiglio
At minimum, it was an intentional/flagrant foul on Cooney, just completely mangled by Stuart

Joe Giglio@jwgiglio
Really bad officiating at the end by Mike Stuart. Just awful"

NYBri
02-16-2014, 10:56 AM
TO be fair, we came VERY close to a loss last night as well. One could look at the Mitchell shot rimming out as "luck" as well.

To win it all, you need to win these kinds of games and 'Cuse has done just that.

devildeac
02-16-2014, 11:14 AM
Yes but seriously, that call is made all the time as a continuation. If it's not a shooting foul, how do you foul a guy in the back going to the basket and it not be a technical?

State shouldn't have let this one go even with that call, but that was a complete game changer. State got hosed.

Heres the play, for those of you who didn't see it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZoFy4mNBEOU

I'm not the only one that thinks it at least should have been a tech:

"Joe Giglio@jwgiglio
At minimum, it was an intentional/flagrant foul on Cooney, just completely mangled by Stuart

Joe Giglio@jwgiglio
Really bad officiating at the end by Mike Stuart. Just awful"

Another tweet from Giglio quoting Gottfried from this morning's Raleigh N&O:

NC State coach Mark Gottfried on the Trevor Cooney foul on TJ Warren layup with 13.6 seconds left: "That should have counted."

Gottfried may get a call and bill from the ACC office with that comment about the play.