PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Maryland (Feb 15, 2014)

JBDuke
02-15-2014, 08:28 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 69-67 win over Maryland tonight?

mgtr
02-15-2014, 08:43 PM
I remember the discussion early in the season how Jefferson wasn't as good as last year. Well, he sure has improved a bunch during the year. I like that he plays hard and sticks to the kind of plays he can make. Now, if only he had a 10 foot jumper ....

jv001
02-15-2014, 08:45 PM
Amile played great and deserves MOTM. Under appreciated by media and fans. His play is one reason we're in the top ten. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
02-15-2014, 08:47 PM
Amile had a very good game, seemed to be the only guy not forcing things.

wsb3
02-15-2014, 08:47 PM
I sold you guys short. My sincere apology. I thought Parker would be the MOTM & I would be a stray vote that voted for Jefferson because of all the clutch plays down the stretch.

Billy Dat
02-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Tyler was the heart and soul tonight. He was the only player with a clue about how to attack the 1-3-1, was demonstratively trying to organize guys on offense, and just brought a level head and leadership to a game we easily could have lost. And he played the whole stretch with 4 fouls. A real captain-like performance.

left_hook_lacey
02-15-2014, 09:16 PM
Once again, no love for Tyler. Or very little at least. I'm telling you he is the glue that keeps this team together. Especially on defense, loose balls, and broken plays.

Henderson
02-15-2014, 09:21 PM
I'd have voted for the rim if that choice had been available. It kicked butt tonight.

I hope I can get that clanging noise out of my head by bedtime.

mapei
02-15-2014, 09:56 PM
Amile. Solid, clutch performance. You can't go wrong, really, voting for Jabari most every game, but this one belongs to AJ.

Waynne
02-15-2014, 10:23 PM
Voted for Tyler because he showed leadership throughout the game and because he tapped that last rebound out to Amile.

1999ballboy
02-16-2014, 01:58 AM
Jabari was Jabari and carried us on offense through most of the game, but seemed tentative on D up until the final 7 minutes. Tyler did everything but shoot well. Amile saved the game with his hustle and rebounding. We don't win without either of those three guys, but overall, Amile had both the most clutch plays and the fewest flaws of anyone out there.

91_92_01_10_15
02-16-2014, 12:43 PM
The best Duke team we saw tonight was when Marshall was on the floor. He was +7 in 6 minutes played.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2014/02/15/maryland-67-duke-69/plus_minus

Henderson
02-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Are you saying that this statement:

The best Duke team we saw tonight was when Marshall was on the floor.

is proved by this stat?
He was +7 in 6 minutes played. http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2014/02/15/maryland-67-duke-69/plus_minus

flyingdutchdevil
02-16-2014, 06:26 PM
Once again, no love for Tyler. Or very little at least. I'm telling you he is the glue that keeps this team together. Especially on defense, loose balls, and broken plays.

MOTM is who you think played the best and was the most valuable player on the team. It isn't about which player played above their means or which player made 1-2 key plays when another player made 3-4 key players. It's also an incredibly subjective vote, and that's why Parker (one of our only consistent offensive players last night), Jefferson (amazing defense in the last fourth of the game), Tyler (great leadership and a few amazing plays), and other players got votes.

Also, I find it completely BS that a lot of posters don't see Tyler's value. Earlier in the year, when the players and coaching staff were underperforming, it was easy to criticize everyone. Now? We really see which players have value to be in the rotation. Tyler is clearly in that rotation. He provides the toughness that this team absolutely needs. Plus, he is the least selfish and the smartest player on this team. He has good size and okay athleticism to guard 3 different positions. He isn't afraid of faster players, bigger players, or an army of Sean Mays armed with forks and knives. He is the first player on this team with the cojones to stand between a lioness and her cub.

And posters realize this. We love Tyler. He is limited as a basketball player, but he is able to deliver more energy and effort than any one, hence maximizing his ability.

However, a player like Tyler isn't able to carry a team. He isn't the offensive juggernut that Jabari is or the rebounding machine that Jefferson is. He doesn't possess the ability to break down a defense like Rasheed or hit 6 consecutive 3s like Dawkins. He can't assist 12 in a game like Cook or score in 14 different ways like Hood. But his value to this team in indisputable. And just because we aren't voting for him, doesn't mean we don't understand his value.

OldPhiKap
02-16-2014, 06:39 PM
In the post-game press conference, K talked about Tyler. Said that he does things that don't show up in stats -- he just does things that win ball games. I think K sees a lot of himself in Tyler, and I look forward to seeing him on our bench some time after he graduates.

flyingdutchdevil
02-16-2014, 06:57 PM
In the post-game press conference, K talked about Tyler. Said that he does things that don't show up in stats -- he just does things that win ball games. I think K sees a lot of himself in Tyler, and I look forward to seeing him on our bench some time after he graduates.

Hopefully not too soon. I want Tyler to maximize his earning potential and make some dinero in Europe for a few years. As much as Duke Assistant Coaches get paid, I'd be shocked if that job pays better than playing pro ball in Europe.

Newton_14
02-16-2014, 07:42 PM
MOTM is who you think played the best and was the most valuable player on the team. It isn't about which player played above their means or which player made 1-2 key plays when another player made 3-4 key players. It's also an incredibly subjective vote, and that's why Parker (one of our only consistent offensive players last night), Jefferson (amazing defense in the last fourth of the game), Tyler (great leadership and a few amazing plays), and other players got votes.

Also, I find it completely BS that a lot of posters don't see Tyler's value. Earlier in the year, when the players and coaching staff were underperforming, it was easy to criticize everyone. Now? We really see which players have value to be in the rotation. Tyler is clearly in that rotation. He provides the toughness that this team absolutely needs. Plus, he is the least selfish and the smartest player on this team. He has good size and okay athleticism to guard 3 different positions. He isn't afraid of faster players, bigger players, or an army of Sean Mays armed with forks and knives. He is the first player on this team with the cojones to stand between a lioness and her cub.

And posters realize this. We love Tyler. He is limited as a basketball player, but he is able to deliver more energy and effort than any one, hence maximizing his ability.

However, a player like Tyler isn't able to carry a team. He isn't the offensive juggernut that Jabari is or the rebounding machine that Jefferson is. He doesn't possess the ability to break down a defense like Rasheed or hit 6 consecutive 3s like Dawkins. He can't assist 12 in a game like Cook or score in 14 different ways like Hood. But his value to this team in indisputable. And just because we aren't voting for him, doesn't mean we don't understand his value.

Great post and it is spot on. Tyler Thornton is a great college basketball player and has been basically since he walked into the door. Jack of all trades, master of none, but incredibly valuable to this team. Despite not being gifted with skills like the other guys, he finds ways to impact games. Yesterday was a prime example. But even with scoring he has certainly had many moments in his career. 4 games in particular stand out to me. As a soph in Maui, he plays the last 5 minutes over Austin Rivers. Hits the fall away off balance 3 with the shot clock running out in a tight game against Kansas, then follows up with another dagger 3 from the wing to basically seal the win. UNC game in Chapel Hill, same year. Duke trails by 10 much of the 2nd Half and are still down 10 with a minute and change left in the game. Tyler calmly drains a 3 to start the incredible comeback, Seth hits one to get us within winning distance, Austin hits the dagger to win the game at the buzzer. Syracuse this year. We are dead in the water. Down 7 with 2 minutes left, Jabari and Amile gone with 5 fouls each. Tyler drains 3 straight 3's to put us back in it. Finally, Maryland at Duke, Tyler's freshman year. Kyrie is in a boot, DUke is struggling mightily in the 2nd half and headed for a loss. Tyler comes in and turns the game by himself almost with incredible defense. Draws a charge, forces 2 critical turnovers, distrupts two other plays. This is partnered with Seth going nuts on offense. Duke comes back to steal the win.

The kid deserves all the praise he gets. Thanks for pointing that out. Well done.

91_92_01_10_15
02-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Are you saying that this statement:

is proved by this stat?

No. It is not proof. I have no proof for what my eyes told me. However, it is evidence.