PDA

View Full Version : Duke Lax

chrishoke
02-15-2014, 03:49 PM
The Duke Lacrosse team played well and got an excellent early season win today defeating #4 Denver 14-10. The game was played on the practice field because Koskinen was still in bad shape because of the snow. Before whipping Denver, the Devils (or at least me) thanked them for knocking the Heels out of last year's NCAA tourney. Duke is now 2-0.

53n206
02-15-2014, 04:18 PM
We beat a good team that in the past has given us fits. Jones is a power.

hadarot
02-15-2014, 04:46 PM
My thoughts on the game and year so far...

I watched Duke-Denver stream today. The game was more lopsided than the score indicated, we could have beaten them worse.

Face-off domination - Fowler is a beast.

I'm interested to see how much change in defensive philosophy we'll see this year, especially with the ex-Cornell coach DeLuca working with the defense this year. Loss of Lobb is big -- he's one of the best 1-on-1 cover men in the country -- but the defense today looked good. Luke Aaron played a lot in goal and made a number of saves; Turri really had a disappointing start to the season vs Jacksonville.

Everyone has pointed to our midfield as the biggest question mark for this year. We are senior laden on the offensive and defensive first-lines, but return from last year only one starting o-mid (Christian Walsh, a converted attack man) and one d-mid (Haus). We lost a bunch of middies on both side of the ball. That said, our midfield really looked good today. Coach D played a whole bunch of guys with a bunch of different skill sets. One person who has had an intriguing start to the season is Kyle Keenan, a converted attackman with some USA experience.

I wouldn't mind seeing Case Matheis really start coming into his own this year. But as usual at Duke, there is talent all over the pitch and Coach D likes to play a balanced offense.

burnspbesq
02-15-2014, 11:02 PM
Goalkeeping controversies can be like quarterback controversies in football. They can tear a locker room apart.

I hope we're not looking at one. I'm sure the staff will do its best to manage this situation.

It does look like the Annual Slow Start may be cancelled this year. Won't break my heart to see it go.

burnspbesq
02-15-2014, 11:55 PM
The stat that jumps out of the box score and explains why Duke won is possession margin.

Even with Aaron and the D playing well, Denver's offense was lethal today. Raw offensive efficiency of almost .48 (10 goals on 21 possessions) is almost unheard-of. That's roughly comparable to a basketball team getting 1.45 points per possession, and how often have you seen that?

The Pios died of starvation. Duke ended up with a possession margin of plus-17. That's the Fowler Effect, and it's a game-changer.

hadarot
02-16-2014, 07:23 AM
The stat that jumps out of the box score and explains why Duke won is possession margin.

Even with Aaron and the D playing well, Denver's offense was lethal today. Raw offensive efficiency of almost .48 (10 goals on 21 possessions) is almost unheard-of. That's roughly comparable to a basketball team getting 1.45 points per possession, and how often have you seen that?

The Pios died of starvation. Duke ended up with a possession margin of plus-17. That's the Fowler Effect, and it's a game-changer.

It wasn't just Fowler vs Denver -- we really dominated in GBs too.

Sidenote: Next week the 6 ACC teams should be ranked 1-6 in the country. JUST THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A SEC!!

budwom
02-16-2014, 09:42 AM
The box score says Casey Caroll (29 years old) is back again? I know he tried to come back last year
after five years in the Rangers (Army, not Texas), hurt his knee. So he got another year? Great for him, former first team AA...

p.s. just noted he was ACC Defensive Player of the Week last week when Duke beat Jacksonville...played his first game
for Duke 10 years ago this month...after getting his MBA from Fuqua, there's a guy who won't have much trouble getting a job.

MCFinARL
02-16-2014, 01:07 PM
The box score says Casey Caroll (29 years old) is back again? I know he tried to come back last year
after five years in the Rangers (Army, not Texas), hurt his knee. So he got another year? Great for him, former first team AA...

p.s. just noted he was ACC Defensive Player of the Week last week when Duke beat Jacksonville...played his first game
for Duke 10 years ago this month...after getting his MBA from Fuqua, there's a guy who won't have much trouble getting a job.

Well, he sort of got another year--but since he hurt himself before play began last year I don't think he had to "get" another year this time--this is still the same year he already had available, just played a year later than expected.

Terrific for both Duke and Carroll that he can play; hope he goes uninjured for the season.

budwom
02-16-2014, 01:38 PM
Well, he sort of got another year--but since he hurt himself before play began last year I don't think he had to "get" another year this time--this is still the same year he already had available, just played a year later than expected.

Terrific for both Duke and Carroll that he can play; hope he goes uninjured for the season.

In fact he DID have to "get' another year by petitioning the NCAA...wasn't automatic....and they granted
the request. I guess it's because he's well outside the normal five year window...

burnspbesq
02-16-2014, 06:38 PM
Lehigh beats Villanova in 3OT. Cuse beats Albany, 17-16, in OT.

Still two games left on TV (NBCSN): ND - Jacksonville at 7:00 Eastern, followed by Ohio State - UMass.