PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Arizona State 69, Arizona 66 (2OT)

FerryFor50
02-14-2014, 11:27 PM
Tuned in to this with about 2 min left. ASU was up 5.

I then watched the following...

- ASU touch fouling Gordon, who hit the shot and the FT
- ASU PG Carson dribbling around for the entire shot clock, no passing, then a decent shot, but missed
- Zona miss, ASU rebound
- Another ASU possession with the PG dribbling the entire shot clock, then throwing to a teammate, who falls, throws the ball toward the Zona basket - turnover, tie game
- Yet ANOTHER ASU possession with the PG dribbling the entire shot clock - literally drives into traffic, dribbles under the basket, dribbles back out, no passes; Sendek calls a timeout with 7 seconds left; ASU PG wastes a second or two on the inbounds, then jumps like he's about to shoot a 3 and is WIDE OPEN but inexplicably passes to his teammate with 3 seconds on the shot clock, who then airballs for a shot clock violation
- Zona misses a few shots

It's insane how these top ranked teams like Syracuse and Arizona are being beaten a majority of games and then somehow manage to not only claw back in, but have the other team completely abandon what has been working all game and choke away the game.

They're now in OT and Zona has the ball with 21 seconds left and a tie game. Likely another Zona win.

DesertDevil
02-14-2014, 11:32 PM
I've seen pick up games at the YMCA that were better played than this one. I would love for Duke to get a shot at U of A in the tourney. They are not close to the team they were early in the year.

It would be nice to shut my U of A friends up with a tourney loss. ;)

FerryFor50
02-14-2014, 11:34 PM
Double overtime. 6 points scored for each team in 5 minutes.

They've needed two halves and an OT to score 57 points each. Awful.

Selover
02-14-2014, 11:34 PM
As a lifelong duke fan and a current ASU student, tonight is great so far!

FerryFor50
02-14-2014, 11:35 PM
Both teams are under 60% from the FT line. Both have attempted 26 FTs.

For the record, Arizona was 21-28 (80%) from the line against Duke. Sigh.

BlueDevilBrowns
02-14-2014, 11:37 PM
Tuned in to this with about 2 min left. ASU was up 5.

I then watched the following...

- ASU touch fouling Gordon, who hit the shot and the FT
- ASU PG Carson dribbling around for the entire shot clock, no passing, then a decent shot, but missed
- Zona miss, ASU rebound
- Another ASU possession with the PG dribbling the entire shot clock, then throwing to a teammate, who falls, throws the ball toward the Zona basket - turnover, tie game
- Yet ANOTHER ASU possession with the PG dribbling the entire shot clock - literally drives into traffic, dribbles under the basket, dribbles back out, no passes; Sendek calls a timeout with 7 seconds left; ASU PG wastes a second or two on the inbounds, then jumps like he's about to shoot a 3 and is WIDE OPEN but inexplicably passes to his teammate with 3 seconds on the shot clock, who then airballs for a shot clock violation
- Zona misses a few shots

It's insane how these top ranked teams like Syracuse and Arizona are being beaten a majority of games and then somehow manage to not only claw back in, but have the other team completely abandon what has been working all game and choke away the game.

They're now in OT and Zona has the ball with 21 seconds left and a tie game. Likely another Zona win.

2OT now. Typical Herb-like game. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

First team to 65 wins.

And the PG for ASU makes me appreciate our Quinn Cook a million times more now.

What a ball hog that guy is!

FerryFor50
02-14-2014, 11:40 PM
2OT now. Typical Herb-like game. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

First team to 65 wins.

And the PG for ASU makes me appreciate our Quinn Cook a million times more now.

What a ball hog that guy is!

Their best player is Marshall. He hasn't taken a shot in either OT that I have seen. It's not Zona's defense. They just haven't been giving him the ball.

And as I say that, they finally get him a shot and he nails a 3.

hurleyfor3
02-14-2014, 11:44 PM

2004 Stanford says hello.

FerryFor50
02-14-2014, 11:46 PM
Wow. So, McConnell gets his shot blocked. Carson, rather than running the clock out (ASU had the lead), dunks. THEN HANGS ON THE FRIGGIN RIM. .8 seconds left. How hilarious would it be if they T up Carson for hanging on the rim, Zona only down 3?

BlueDevilBrowns
02-14-2014, 11:47 PM
Their best player is Marshall. He hasn't taken a shot in either OT that I have seen. It's not Zona's defense. They just haven't been giving him the ball.

And as I say that, they finally get him a shot and he nails a 3.

That was crazy!!!

Should have been a Tech on Carson for hanging on the rim.

As I type, I see they are reviewing now.

Duvall
02-14-2014, 11:47 PM
Jahii Carson is so dumb.

FerryFor50
02-14-2014, 11:48 PM
Carson deserved a technical. Chin up on the rim? Jabari got one for slapping the backboard!

They explained that they stopped play when the crowd rushed the floor, so no tech. Weird.

The crowd wasn't who rushed the court first - it was the ASU bench.

Johnson almost Ennis-ed ASU.

hurleyfor3
02-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Wow. So, McConnell gets his shot blocked. Carson, rather than running the clock out (ASU had the lead), dunks. THEN HANGS ON THE FRIGGIN RIM. .8 seconds left. How hilarious would it be if they T up Carson for hanging on the rim, Zona only down 3?

The changed the rule, now you only get a hanging-on-the-tim T if your name is Jabari Parker.

BlueDevilBrowns
02-14-2014, 11:49 PM

Carson has been Arizona's MVP tonight.

If I didn't know better, I'd say the guy's point shaving.

FerryFor50
02-14-2014, 11:51 PM
LOL at Walton complaining about court rushing. He's just mad his second favorite team lost. :)

FerryFor50
02-14-2014, 11:53 PM
Carson has been Arizona's MVP tonight.

If I didn't know better, I'd say the guy's point shaving.

No way. Marshall has been their best player. They've won in SPITE of Carson. Carson had 17 points and 5 turnovers and shot 7-17. Plus, terrible decision making down the stretch.

Marshall had 29 points on 11-25 shooting and bailed them out at the end.

BlueDevilBrowns
02-14-2014, 11:53 PM
LOL at Walton complaining about court rushing. He's just mad his second favorite team lost. :)

He's probably just paranoid someone in the crowd will pick-pocket his "stash".

Newton_14
02-14-2014, 11:58 PM
Jahii Carson is so dumb.
Indeed. I would have T'd him up immediately and not thought twice about it. For those that did not see it, he didn't just "hang on the rim". He dunked, hung on the rim with legs swinging, then does a pull up to get his chin to the rim, kicking his legs up again, and finally let's go. That should have been an easy call no matter the situation.

Bonehead stupid play.

BlueDevilBrowns
02-14-2014, 11:58 PM
No way. Marshall has been their best player. They've won in SPITE of Carson. Carson had 17 points and 5 turnovers and shot 7-17. Plus, terrible decision making down the stretch.

Marshall had 29 points on 11-25 shooting and bailed them out at the end.

Notice I said he was ARIZONA'S mvp, not ASU.

FerryFor50
02-14-2014, 11:59 PM
Notice I said he was ARIZONA'S mvp, not ASU.

LOL

So you did. Carry on! :cool:

1999ballboy
02-15-2014, 12:00 AM
If those were ACC refs and if Carson's name was Jabari Parker, he'd receive some kind of suspension for that hang. And then they'd call a tech on the crowd for rushing the court, and an additional tech on Daniel Ewing just for good measure. By the end of it, Arizona would have won by double digits.

All kidding aside, a brilliantly hard-fought game by Herb's boys up until that moronic final dunk, which they were very, very lucky to get away with.

duketaylor
02-15-2014, 12:00 AM
I thought it could've been T for hanging on the rim and T for rushing the court before game over. If, and a big IF, they made FT's maybe game over. Curious officiating late to call neither. Dude was hanging on the rim for about 13 minutes or so!

FerryFor50
02-15-2014, 12:03 AM
I'm glad that there is such a thing as a highlight. Because if ESPN had to show that whole game again, they'd be out of business. Instead, they get to show the last play over and over as if the entire game was that exciting.

Interesting thing about ASU.... I was looking at their roster. They have a team with FIVE transfers. And I thought Miami had a lot of transfers (they just have 3 and one junior college guy).

Duvall
02-15-2014, 12:13 AM
I hate to say that a team is done, but Arizona looks done.

Des Esseintes
02-15-2014, 12:18 AM
I hate to say that a team is done, but Arizona looks done.

It might just be some reversion to the mean after overperforming through the first half of the season. The injury to their big man is unfortunate, though, and I feel bad for them even if I have some lingering anti-Lute animosity for the program.

Kedsy
02-15-2014, 12:31 AM
It might just be some reversion to the mean after overperforming through the first half of the season. The injury to their big man is unfortunate, though, and I feel bad for them even if I have some lingering anti-Lute animosity for the program.

Brandon Ashley is a really good player. You can't just lose a guy like that and not expect a drop off.

kAzE
02-15-2014, 12:54 AM
They can't shoot at all. It's one of the worst outside shooting teams I've ever seen in the top 5. Losing a good shooter like Ashley on that team hurts more than it would to almost any other team. Good news for us, it looks like a #1 seed is up for grabs.

kAzE
02-15-2014, 12:55 AM
The changed the rule, now you only get a hanging-on-the-tim T if your name is Jabari Parker.

He didn't get the T for hanging, he got the T for slapping the back board after the dunk.

FerryFor50
02-15-2014, 12:56 AM
He didn't get the T for hanging, he got the T for slapping the back board after the dunk.

Actually his first T this season was for hanging on the rim.

kAzE
02-15-2014, 12:58 AM

It was a more prolonged hang though, people weren't that upset over that one. I didn't think it deserved a technical foul, but he did hang a little bit.

FerryFor50
02-15-2014, 12:59 AM
It was a more prolonged hang though, people weren't that upset over that one.

Right. But the point is, Carson should have gotten a T for his rim hang, regardless. ASU got away with one there...

Bob Green
02-15-2014, 07:31 AM

Sorry, I realize facts are so boring; however, Jabari Parker has been T-upped twice this season and neither was for hanging on the rim. The first T was for making a play on the ball, with one hand, while his other hand was holding the rim. The second was for slapping the backboard.

moonpie23
02-15-2014, 09:05 AM
refs should be disciplined for the no-call on the rim-hang……..the last 12 mins of that game was ugly….

but i'm starting to reallllllllly like the look on sean miller's face when he loses… :)

Newton_14
02-15-2014, 09:36 AM
Right. But the point is, Carson should have gotten a T for his rim hang, regardless. ASU got away with one there...Agree. I was obviously pulling for ASU but you have to call that everytime. It was beyond blatant. It should have been an easy call for the ref trailing the play. How/why he chose to swallow the whistle there is baffling. I don't care that there was only .8 seconds left in a huge upset. If you can justify not calling it due to special circumstances, then just nix the rule altogether and let the kids showboat a little bit after a dunk.

pfrduke
02-15-2014, 09:39 AM

It was a more prolonged hang though, people weren't that upset over that one. I didn't think it deserved a technical foul, but he did hang a little bit.

I'm not sure that's quite right - I think his first T was for trying to play the ball while on the rim, which is an automatic tech.

FerryFor50
02-15-2014, 10:03 AM
I'm not sure that's quite right - I think his first T was for trying to play the ball while on the rim, which is an automatic tech.

Right. But he hung on the rim while playing the ball. :)

Wasn't a dunk and hang T, for sure...

Clay Feet POF
02-15-2014, 10:23 AM
It was a more prolonged hang

Man, he'd still be hanging if his teammate didn't pull him down

moonpie23
02-15-2014, 11:22 AM
he may have thought the clock had gone to triple ought, so……maybe…..but i think he SHOULD have gotten the T….

dukejim1
02-15-2014, 11:40 AM
I would have been ok with three techs:
Hanging on the rim
Rushing the court
Dumbest play of the year - not dibbling out the clock