PDA

View Full Version : Two questions about states

Reilly
02-14-2014, 07:32 PM
1. What is your favorite U.S state shape?

2. What is your favorite U.S. state name?

(questions inspired by recent weather channel storm watching)

OldPhiKap
02-14-2014, 07:38 PM

1. Oklahoma. Go west, young man.

2. Loooooosiana. Roll the first part as long as you dare.

(Bias disclaimer, never lived in either one)

hurleyfor3
02-14-2014, 07:38 PM
1. Utah

2. Montana

OldPhiKap
02-14-2014, 07:40 PM
1. Utah

Square.

hurleyfor3
02-14-2014, 07:42 PM
Square.

"Wyoming: The Other Square State"

OldPhiKap
02-14-2014, 07:46 PM

And you are in Colorado?

I guess recent legislation keeps you out of being "square" though . . . .

(J/k, obviously. Wyoming, Colorado, Utah is absolutely beautiful country. Hope winter is okay for you)

hurleyfor3
02-14-2014, 07:53 PM
We're doing fine with snow this year. It takes a lot of effort not to comment about how wimpy eastern time zone people are with their little girly foot of snow.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/gis/images/west_swepctnormal_update.png

brevity
02-14-2014, 08:17 PM

And you are in Colorado?

Hey, you can say you've always owned a State Shaped Cutting Board (http://aheirloom.myshopify.com/collections/the-state-shaped-cutting-boards). I had a Colorado board that I accidentally dropped on the floor, and it got chipped in the corner. So now I have a Kansas board.

BD80
02-14-2014, 08:29 PM
1. Keystone

2. Hawaii

3. What is your favorite color? Blue. No. Yello... aaayyaaiiiiiiii!

DukieInKansas
02-14-2014, 09:00 PM
1. Keystone

2. Hawaii

3. What is your favorite color? Blue. No. Yello... aaayyaaiiiiiiii!

1. Alaska

2. Whichever one I'm in - no sense not liking where you are

3. What is the airspeed of a swallow?

OldPhiKap
02-14-2014, 09:19 PM
3. What is the airspeed of a swallow?

African or European? Laden or unladen?

Lots of variables here.

DukieInKansas
02-14-2014, 09:52 PM
African or European? Laden or unladen?

Lots of variables here.

I'm sure that, if I weren't safely ensconced on the twelfth floor of a building with windows that don't open, I would have just fallen into the abyss.

77devil
02-14-2014, 10:10 PM
We're doing fine with snow this year. It takes a lot of effort not to comment about how wimpy eastern time zone people are with their little girly foot of snow.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/gis/images/west_swepctnormal_update.png

3917 3918

Wimpy, really? Just some of the damage on my property from that "girly foot of snow." I've lived through a direct hit from Hurricane Andrew-23 days w/o electricity and 16 w/o water and several > 7.0 earthquakes in the bay area. Plenty of damage all. Idiots like you have no clue.

Reilly
02-14-2014, 10:17 PM
If those photos are supposed to elicit sympathy, I'm expecting some cards next Jan 6th when I drag the Xmas tree though the kitchen to the deck.

77devil
02-14-2014, 10:25 PM
If those photos are supposed to elicit sympathy, I'm expecting some cards next Jan 6th when I drag the Xmas tree though the kitchen to the deck.

No sympathy needed. I've got about $5 grand of clean up. Petty cash for me, how about you? But card is on its way.

Acymetric
02-14-2014, 11:29 PM
https://xkcd.com/1079/

Relevant to this conversation, I thought.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/united_shapes.png

throatybeard
02-14-2014, 11:43 PM

Okay, you're suddenly my favorite DBR poster ever.

Shape

West Virginia. I can't even believe there's a discussion after this.

There are states that are aware of their shape and others that aren't. Less than .66% of the population live in that state where they know their shape is awesome. All these arts and crafts in WV are WV -shaped

Honorable mentions: Oklahoma (duh), Minnesota, Mississippi only because it looks like Bart Simpson's head doing a lookback, Maryland because it's on crack, maybe Oregon.

State Name

I love a lot of state names. My wife and I were on a grueling long car trip back to the SE at some point, and we quizzed each other about what language the state names were from, whether Spanish (Colorado), French (Louisiana), Latin (Carolinas), or Native American/Indigenous peoples' names. We came to the conclusion that about 50% of the state names are from Native American languages. I think it was 25-24, and the only one we weren't sure about was Maine.

But because I love bilabial consonants, I'm going with Alabama. The following post explains why:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?32558-Chick-fil-A-Bowl-24-Duke-vs-21-Texas-A-amp-M-(12-31-8PM-ESPN)&p=686308#post686308

duketaylor
02-15-2014, 12:08 AM
I'm voting for the stegosaurus and Abalama!! Or is it Amalaba, geez, I'm just plain confused, my bad!!

Wander
02-15-2014, 12:12 AM
Best shape is the combination of Minnesota through Louisiana: it's an elf as viewed from the side. Louisiana is the foot/lower leg. Arkansas is the upper leg. Missouri is the torso. Iowa is the head. Minnesota is the hat. This was pointed out to me years ago and I've never been able to unsee it since.

brevity
02-15-2014, 12:24 AM
Honorable mentions: Oklahoma (duh), Minnesota, Mississippi only because it looks like Bart Simpson's head doing a lookback, Maryland because it's on crack, maybe Oregon.

Best shape is the combination of Minnesota through Louisiana: it's an elf as viewed from the side. Louisiana is the foot/lower leg. Arkansas is the upper leg. Missouri is the torso. Iowa is the head. Minnesota is the hat. This was pointed out to me years ago and I've never been able to unsee it since.

If we're doing this, then I should point out that northern New Jersey resembles Mr. Magoo. (And Florida is Droopy.)

hurleyfor3
02-15-2014, 12:41 AM
We're doing "what things do states look like"? Fine. (https://xkcd.com/1079/) Preferable to calling mods idiots, I guess, although I'm biased there.

throatybeard
02-15-2014, 02:01 AM

I have a friend who, she and her husband, they live in Iowa City or thereabouts. And they have since they escaped the Rio Grande Valley in about 1995.

He was the first one who attuned me to MIMAL. Apparently that's the acronym for what Wander is talking about.

Reilly
02-15-2014, 04:58 AM
Mimal cooks fried chicken:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMAL

YmoBeThere
02-15-2014, 05:17 AM
1. What is your favorite U.S state shape? Hawaii - Oahu in particular

2. What is your favorite U.S. state name? Hawaii

OldPhiKap
02-15-2014, 09:28 AM
We're doing "what things do states look like"? Fine. (https://xkcd.com/1079/) Preferable to calling mods idiots, I guess, although I'm biased there.

Is California a banana truck?

But California really should be two different states, anyway.

Reilly
02-15-2014, 11:20 AM
I think California is a vacuum cleaner.

devildeac
02-15-2014, 11:53 AM
1. New Jersey because it looks like a soldier (or Mr. Magoo as brevity observed up-thread).
2. New Jersey because JJ needed one or more of these just about every year he played for reasons discussed here before.

:D

PSurprise
02-15-2014, 11:58 AM
And you are in Colorado?

I guess recent legislation keeps you out of being "square" though . . . .

(J/k, obviously. Wyoming, Colorado, Utah is absolutely beautiful country. Hope winter is okay for you)

I always wondered how they designed those square states. Did they get to the border and say to themselves, "this is far enough, let's turn 90 degrees and start over again".

snowdenscold
02-15-2014, 12:01 PM
I always wondered how they designed those square states. Did they get to the border and say to themselves, "this is far enough, let's turn 90 degrees and start over again".

There's a show they have on every so often (there's only a few episodes of it) called "How the States Got Their Shapes." I forget if it's on History, Discovery, etc. but something in that range.

Edit: Ah, here it is:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1772281/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

OldPhiKap
02-15-2014, 03:11 PM

I think that many of them were set on arbitrary latitude/longitude lines for ease of administration, as well as to set aside land for what's ere referred to at the time as "Indian Territory" for Native Americans in the western desert and plains (which of course got gobbled up as settlers and trains pushed West, and gold was found in The Black Hills and other places). Not enough rivers to easily act as boundaries like back East.

kmspeaks
02-15-2014, 03:39 PM
Shape

West Virginia. I can't even believe there's a discussion after this.

There are states that are aware of their shape and others that aren't. Less than .66% of the population live in that state where they know their shape is awesome. All these arts and crafts in WV are WV -shaped

One of my favorite novelties of going to school in West Virginia was the way people told me where they were from. A rude hand gesture with the thumb stuck out for the panhandle makes a fairly accurate state map on which they'd point out their hometown.

davekay1971
02-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Shape: North Carolina. Looks a little like a piece of pie. Who doesn't like pie?

Name: Mississippi. So much fun to learn to spell when you're a kid. You have to sing the letters. Try to spell it without getting some rhythm in your cadence.

Reilly
02-15-2014, 05:46 PM
Name: Mississippi. So much fun to learn to spell when you're a kid. You have to sing the letters. Try to spell it without getting some rhythm in your cadence.

Where I learned to spell it (8:58 mark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4GGQSdX_-M

Edouble
02-16-2014, 02:17 AM
1. Texas: big strong shape, part boxy, part curvy.

2. Idaho: such a great punchline for dirty jokes.

fidel
02-16-2014, 09:11 AM
1). New York. Nobody is confusing this one for Wyoming.

2). Connecticut. Crazy name.

weezie
02-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Well, Michigan, of course, the useful mitten state. Hoping to find it's match somewhere in the bin of gloves.
Favorite name......uh state of confusion, where I tend to hang out a lot.

BlueDevilBrowns
02-16-2014, 08:11 PM

1. A tie between Vermont and New Hampshire.

Together they make an interesting numerical position, shall we say.

2. Franklin.

Oh, what might've been.

OldPhiKap
02-16-2014, 08:37 PM
This being DBR, I should point out that Kentucky, Massachusetts, Virginia and Pennsylvania refer to themselves as commonwealths, not states.

We all know they're states. I just want to hear them own up to it. Until then, like out MOTH polls, I elect to choose wholly arbitrary barriers against otherwise eligible candidates.

throatybeard
02-19-2014, 12:45 AM
Responses where I'm too lazy to use the quote function:

1) Yeah, North Carolina ain't bad either shapewise.

2) I've read Hawaii is the only one that doesn't have a straight line somewhere in its border. Not sure if it's true.

3) I love the visual majesty of the word MISSISSIPPI when spelled in all caps, and as a former resident of that state, I got to see this quite a bit. Take a look at the ribbon (?) of Davis-Wade stadium.

4) WIDukie doesn't really post here much anymore, but he likes to tell this one so I'll relate this for him. The reason WI is the shape it is is that the surveyors screwed up and mistook the St Croix River for the Mississippi River. Big gain on area for Minnesota. Also one of the prettiest towns in the US, Duluth, which looks like a 1/10-size Seattle was replanted on small mountains overlooking Lake Superior.

5) "Florida? But that's America's wang." --- Homer Simpson

DevilAlumna
02-19-2014, 01:20 AM
1) Nebraska (easy to identify surrounded by squarish states.)

2) Delaware, primarily because of that silly song (What did Delaware, boys?)

throatybeard
02-19-2014, 01:36 AM
1) Nebraska (easy to identify surrounded by squarish states.)

2) Delaware, primarily because of that silly song (What did Delaware, boys?)

Delaware is funny. It's a tiny state, second smallest after RI, if we aren't counting DC. Most I-95 type people's experience of it is driving through a 30-mile portion of it that isn't very representative of it, the turnpike.

But if you drive US 13/DE 1 through the Delmarva, it really does seem like a while that you're in DE. And it has some remarkably diverse architecture in it. And get this, America's best collection of Pre-Raphaelite paintings. It's probably more like Maryland's surprisingly hot little sister.