PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Maryland (Feb 15, 6 pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

JBDuke
02-13-2014, 07:14 PM
Maryland pays their last visit to Duke as an ACC opponent on Saturday. Game time is 6 pm, and ESPN will broadcast it.

Troublemaker
02-13-2014, 10:09 PM
I'm wary of this opponent for obvious reasons. They beat us twice last season. Dez Wells went for 30 against Duke in the ACC tournament. He's back and so is Seth Allen, who also gave us some trouble last season. Wells and Allen are quick guards that like to penetrate. Maryland has good shooters in Layman and Smoctryz playing the 3 and 4 to spread the floor for the penetrators, and Maryland has widebodies at center in Charles Mitchell and Shaquille Cleare to clean up misses. Mitchell has the 5th-best offensive rebounding rate in the country. On paper, this is a team that fits together pretty well and should have better records than the 14-11 overall / 6-6 ACC they've put up so far. I mean, I don't expect the Terps to beat Duke on Saturday, especially since Duke will remember the two losses from last season, but they have enough talent to keep it competitive for awhile.

NYBri
02-13-2014, 11:46 PM
Bye bye Terps. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

Bob Green
02-14-2014, 05:40 PM
Duke opened as a 13 points favorite in Vegas.

roywhite
02-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Should Duke have the game in hand, seems like there are a number of late game options for the Crazies:

A-C-C

A giant See-YA

For old time's sake, perhaps a chorus of "Amen"

dukelifer
02-14-2014, 06:50 PM
I'm wary of this opponent for obvious reasons. They beat us twice last season. Dez Wells went for 30 against Duke in the ACC tournament. He's back and so is Seth Allen, who also gave us some trouble last season. Wells and Allen are quick guards that like to penetrate. Maryland has good shooters in Layman and Smoctryz playing the 3 and 4 to spread the floor for the penetrators, and Maryland has widebodies at center in Charles Mitchell and Shaquille Cleare to clean up misses. Mitchell has the 5th-best offensive rebounding rate in the country. On paper, this is a team that fits together pretty well and should have better records than the 14-11 overall / 6-6 ACC they've put up so far. I mean, I don't expect the Terps to beat Duke on Saturday, especially since Duke will remember the two losses from last season, but they have enough talent to keep it competitive for awhile.

I think the loss of Len is big for them last year. That said, Maryland is always up for Duke. Should be close for a while and hopefully Duke will get late half separation and win without issue. This year's Duke team matches up better than last year with Wells and Co.

ajaxthewonderdog
02-14-2014, 07:42 PM
Maybe "We will miss you." And we will, because it is so enjoyable beating them, as they inevitably claim a rivalry. But we won't miss the batteries and full plastic water bottles tossed at players and their parents up at Maryland. But that's admittedly a little hard to put into a chant. Go Duke.

BD80
02-14-2014, 08:16 PM
Maybe "We will miss you." And we will, ...

Miss who?

4Gen
02-14-2014, 11:13 PM
Breaking up is hard to do.

PSurprise
02-14-2014, 11:17 PM
Sweat Gary Sweat!!!

mgtr
02-15-2014, 03:03 AM
Might we face Maryland again in the ACC Tourney, or they out of it?

gofurman
02-15-2014, 03:51 AM
I hope duke can somehow get a nice lead and play a deep rotation - we are gonna' need it this week. Brutal 4 games in one week stretch. Hope no one goes over 30 minutes if at all possible. But mainly jut win

Bob Green
02-15-2014, 06:26 AM
Might we face Maryland again in the ACC Tourney, or they out of it?

A Duke, Maryland game in the ACCT is a possibility.

dukechem
02-15-2014, 09:17 AM
I see DBR is suggesting the Amen chorus as a fitting farewell to Maryland, and that sounds good especially with it's relevance to Maryland.

This morning I thought that a few rounds of a rousing chorus of Woody Guthrie's

So long, it's been good to know you
(There's a mighty big war that's got to be won
And we'll get back together again)

would be great with an appropriate substitution for the last lines like

NEXT YEAR YOU'LL GET BEAT BY PENN STATE!

or whatever the Crazies can come up with.

The advantage is that most everyone in the stadium knows the words and would quickly catch on to the sing along ala Pete Seeger.

I agree with those who say ditch the ACC chant.

Now we just have to win the game!

OldPhiKap
02-15-2014, 09:33 AM
"I'm so glad we had this time together,

Just to have a laugh, or sing a song.

Seems we just got started and before you know it

Comes the time we have to say, 'So long.'"

(Then pull on ear)

mgtr
02-15-2014, 09:44 AM
Or, on a less friendly note, "Hit the Road, Jack!"

4Gen
02-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Or, on a less friendly note, "Hit the Road, Jack!"

This I like. And it's completely singable

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-15-2014, 10:24 AM
It's something unpredictable but in the end is right
I hope you had the time of your life

Bob Green
02-15-2014, 10:24 AM
Vegas consensus over/under is 149 points with Duke a 13.5 points favorite. I'll take Duke and the over: Duke 82, Maryland 68.

MCFinARL
02-15-2014, 10:37 AM
I hope duke can somehow get a nice lead and play a deep rotation - we are gonna' need it this week. Brutal 4 games in one week stretch. Hope no one goes over 30 minutes if at all possible. But mainly jut win

Yes--I'd love to see a reprise of the two-platoon line ups today if it works; in my dreams no Duke players sees more than 25 minutes either today or Tuesday, so they will be fresher for Thursday and Saturday. Of course, I doubt Coach K is consulting my dreams for rotation advice. ;)

It's something unpredictable but in the end is right
I hope you had the time of your life

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu,
Adieu, adieu, to yuh and yuh and yuh.....

Or maybe

Truth be told I'll miss you
Truth be told I'm lying....

NYBri
02-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Yes--I'd love to see a reprise of the two-platoon line ups today if it works; in my dreams no Duke players sees more than 25 minutes either today or Tuesday, so they will be fresher for Thursday and Saturday. Of course, I doubt Coach K is consulting my dreams for rotation advice. ;)

I'm hoping that as well. I think we have a good chance of seeing that tonight and Tuesday...maybe even Thursday and Saturday as well. We have the depth, let's use it.

slower
02-15-2014, 11:19 AM
(To the tune of "Take This Job and Shove It")

Take your mob and shove it,
You ain't playin' here no more...

Alternatively:

Boz Scaggs - "It's Over"
Blondie - "Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)"

Jay-Z - "99 Problems (But a Terp Ain't One)"

BD80
02-15-2014, 11:41 AM
... So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu,
Adieu, adieu, to yuh and yuh and yuh ...

That involves a kick in the pants on the way out? I like it.

... Boz Scaggs - "It's Over" ...

I remember repeatedly playing that in the seventies in a somewhat insensitive fashion (sorry Jeff Frosh)

jv001
02-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Don't let the door hitcha where The Good Lord splitcha! Seeeeeyaaa!!!!!

Edouble
02-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Bye bye Terps. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

Or the shell.

As far as "Amen" goes, I can't see the Crazies all singing a song that is so unfamiliar. I'm class of '99 and I don't remember the tune.

"Hit the Road, Jack" would be great and I really have no problem with another round of "ACC".

It probably served the team best though, if this matchup is treated like just another game. With the UNC game often an emotional one, and the revenge game against Syracuse at the end of this intense four game stretch, starting off with an emotionally charged game probably isn't good for the team. It will be physically challenging, so neutralizing the mental aspect as much as possible would be good.

Here is a Turtle
02-15-2014, 02:25 PM
I will just say this in the pregame and leave it be. I'm going to miss these Maryland/Duke games. It's been an entertaining series, and I think this last game will be competitive. Hopefully both teams stay healthy and we end up with a classic.

devildeac
02-15-2014, 02:46 PM
Or the shell.

As far as "Amen" goes, I can't see the Crazies all singing a song that is so unfamiliar. I'm class of '99 and I don't remember the tune.

"Hit the Road, Jack" would be great and I really have no problem with another round of "ACC".

It probably served the team best though, if this matchup is treated like just another game. With the UNC game often an emotional one, and the revenge game against Syracuse at the end of this intense four game stretch, starting off with an emotionally charged game probably isn't good for the team. It will be physically challenging, so neutralizing the mental aspect as much as possible would be good.

Amen-a couple links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amen_(The_Impressions_song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3-iBfP-Pfo

davekay1971
02-15-2014, 05:05 PM
We do pretty well against Big 1? Teams in Cameron, so I suspect we'll keep our home non-conference win streak intact against Maryland today. We match up nicely with them, both teams being a little smaller, more perimeter oriented, but Duke with better talent at every position. We need to keep in front of their guards and defend the 3 point line against their wings. If we do that, we should be okay in this little break from ACC play.

ChrisP
02-15-2014, 06:12 PM
Anyone know why the game is not on yet? I'm just on my laptop here and, as USUAL, our game is nowhere to be found on ESPN's list of either "live" or "upcoming" games on the watchESPN site. I assume we're delayed because of a foul-fest somewhere else in the nation. Can anyone help???

ChrisP
02-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Nevermind, I can see a score now, but...still nowhere to a live link of the damn game!!!

Wildling
02-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Love the white uniforms. Old school!

ChrisP
02-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Love the white uniforms. Old school!

Ditto - LOVING the new unis!!!

ChrisP
02-15-2014, 06:28 PM
I know the 3 ball is our game but weare taking a lot of quick shots (and not making them) early

slower
02-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Okay, so the Jabari step-back is becoming my new least-favorite shot, taking the place of the Mason Plumlee 3-point attempt. Take it inside, for God's sake.

davekay1971
02-15-2014, 06:30 PM
It's almost enough to make you feel sorry for the Maryland fans. I just saw on ESPN.com the UM folks are using the hashtag #rivalryweek for this game. They're convinced that this is a rivalry game.

It reminds me of John Cusack's line in Grosse Pointe Blank where Martin Blank is dealing with Bobby Beamer's idiotic drunken antagonism. Martin, a professional hit man, could kill him in a second, but it's just not on his to-do list, so instead he tells Bobby: "Do you really think there's some kind of built up thing between us? There is no us."

Dear Maryland fans: There is no us. Get over yourselves and find someone else to pester.

lotusland
02-15-2014, 06:31 PM
Anyone know why the game is not on yet? I'm just on my laptop here and, as USUAL, our game is nowhere to be found on ESPN's list of either "live" or "upcoming" games on the watchESPN site. I assume we're delayed because of a foul-fest somewhere else in the nation. Can anyone help???

Yeah really weird. One minute is was listed as upcoming then it went totally away.

ChrisP
02-15-2014, 06:38 PM
I believe Doris is channeling her inner Lenny Elmore here so far - questioning just about every call that goes Duke's way :(

devilnfla
02-15-2014, 06:40 PM
Okay, so the Jabari step-back is becoming my new least-favorite shot, taking the place of the Mason Plumlee 3-point attempt. Take it inside, for God's sake.

Don't forget about the Josh Hairston 15 footer.

Gthoma2a
02-15-2014, 06:40 PM
I believe Doris is channeling her inner Lenny Elmore here so far - questioning just about every call that goes Duke's way :(

Yes. According to her, they are deliberately being screwed over by the conference as retribution. "We're not going to see them get the benefit of the doubt much this year."

slower
02-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Don't forget about the Josh Hairston 15 footer.

Oh, God - now THAT is a terrifying thing.

Looks like Rodney is on mental vacation tonight. And even though I criticized his quick step-back jumper, Jabari seems primed to go off.

blue post
02-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Nevermind, I can see a score now, but...still nowhere to a live link of the damn game!!!

Same with me. It's like they decided not to show it on Watch ESPN just before tip off. It's not available on the WatchESPN website, or the app on my iPad. But, if you go to the espn.com home page, the leading story references the Duke-Maryland game and if you click the image, it will play the live feed in that little central tile on the home page. Small, but at least it works.

ChrisP
02-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Hood is not playing very smart tonight. All 3 of his fouls have been really bad. Hope he can pull it together at halftime.

ChrisP
02-15-2014, 06:46 PM
OMG, Doris, that charge call was most definitely NOT a borderline call!!!

slower
02-15-2014, 06:47 PM
If Turgeon loses his cool, I wonder if his players will follow suit. We don't need anybody getting hurt here (remember David Neal?).

Aside from Jabari and Sheed, our guys don't particularly seem to have their heads in it.

ChrisP
02-15-2014, 06:52 PM
Well clearly this is going to be an ugly, ornery, foul-fest. It also is one of those that feels like we should be up by more than we are. Ugh, I was hoping for a thorough old-school Cameron beat down :(

lotusland
02-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Same with me. It's like they decided not to show it on Watch ESPN just before tip off. It's not available on the WatchESPN website, or the app on my iPad. But, if you go to the espn.com home page, the leading story references the Duke-Maryland game and if you click the image, it will play the live feed in that little central tile on the home page. Small, but at least it works.

Thanks for the tip. I have it full screen on espn.com now. Same screen says live on watch ESPN bit of course it isn't

jipops
02-15-2014, 06:57 PM
If Turgeon loses his cool, I wonder if his players will follow suit. We don't need anybody getting hurt here (remember David Neal?).

Aside from Jabari and Sheed, our guys don't particularly seem to have their heads in it.

I think their heads are in it. The defense has been really good. Quinn has made a couple poor decisions and shots simply aren't going down.

slower
02-15-2014, 06:59 PM
I think their heads are in it. The defense has been really good. Quinn has made a couple poor decisions and shots simply aren't going down.

Whatever the case, it's not pleasing at the moment. This is VERY loseable.

ChrisP
02-15-2014, 07:00 PM
We are playing pretty dumb against their zone and cannot buy a 3 right now :( Really cannot wait to see Duke put together 2 strong halves (in the same game, that is).

CLW
02-15-2014, 07:06 PM
Just getting OUTWORKED on the glass -7. The shots aren't falling either. Going to have to crank up the intensity on the glass or could be a close one down the stretch.

Billy Dat
02-15-2014, 07:16 PM
We should have been up more, and then the game got ugly which advantaged them. The kid Layman killed us, a couple of early 3s, nice D at the top of the 1-3-1, some fire, etc. Agree that our rebounding wasn't great. Big credit to Tyler for attacking the 1-3-1 and setting up some shots. Cook still doesn't seem right. I liked Rasheed's attacking and playmaking. On offense, we need to keep working our drives to set up our 3s. I like the ball in Rasheed's hands as a set-up man, maybe Quinn needs to play less this half. It would be nice to get some minutes out of Rodney, weak that his first two fouls weren't committed on defense. Hopefully we can have a good first 5 minutes.

Billy Dat
02-15-2014, 07:18 PM
Layman is a little Caner-Medley-esque. He kind of looks like Laettner.

jv001
02-15-2014, 07:18 PM
Quinn looks to be injured because he doesn't seem to have his usual quickness. It's more apparent on offense, because he's done a good job when defending Allen. The 3 fouls on Rodney really hurt, but the 3 on Wells hurt the terps. I guess that evens out. Someone needs to get up on Layman. He could go off for a quick 10 points in a hurry. Defense seems to be pretty good. GoDuke!

Henderson
02-15-2014, 07:19 PM
4 assists
6 turnovers
21.4% from 3

Those stats are related.

jipops
02-15-2014, 07:23 PM
It really looks like Maryland has our number, whatever that means.

ChrisP
02-15-2014, 07:25 PM
I fully expect Rodney to pick up his 4th before the next media timeout. This game just has that kinda feel to it :(

hudlow
02-15-2014, 07:26 PM
They need a little more inside outside.

Billy Dat
02-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Thornton is attacking the 1-3-1 well, let's keep it in his hands.

slower
02-15-2014, 07:30 PM
I fully expect Rodney to pick up his 4th before the next media timeout. This game just has that kinda feel to it :(

Good call. Sheesh.

Henderson
02-15-2014, 07:32 PM
It really looks like Maryland has our number, whatever that means.

Numbers like 37% shooting and being out rebounded 3-2?

LBF
Parker is freaking explosive

Billy Dat
Aside from that nice 3 he hit on the 3rd opportunity a few minutes ago, Rodney hasn't been "in" this game. We'll be OK without him. If we can get some separation right now, they are going to wilt.

jv001
02-15-2014, 07:33 PM

I beg, please don't give any more negative predictions, :cool:GoDuke!

Billy Dat
02-15-2014, 07:39 PM
Good minutes from Marshall. I am actually worried about Cook replacing Thornton right now. Let's see...

Selover
02-15-2014, 07:42 PM
Great board and put back by Marshall

ChrisP
02-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Omg, how many times & ways are we going to try and give this one away?!?!!! Come on, guys!!!

Billy Dat
02-15-2014, 07:46 PM
Omg, how many times & ways are we going to try and give this one away?!?!!! Come on, guys!!!

We're going to have to win ugly and by committee. I am worried that Wells is starting to heat up. I feel like Thornton is our best player tonight and now he has 4. Someone else has to step up. Hopefully Rasheed can lead us because Quinn seems off, but he has been known to get it together when we need it most.

jipops
02-15-2014, 07:49 PM
We have to win this at the ft line. Shots just aren't going to go down

Dukeface88
02-15-2014, 07:49 PM
We really should stop shooting three-pointers. Sometimes you just have to accept that the shots aren't falling.

ChrisP
02-15-2014, 07:50 PM
After a foul-plagued first half, refs swallowing their whistles lately. Have to draw LOTS of contact now to get a call :(

Wildling
02-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Drive the ball to the hole! The 3's aren't falling!

UrinalCake
02-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Too much standing around, on both sides of the court

ChrisP
02-15-2014, 07:53 PM
We really should stop shooting three-pointers. Sometimes you just have to accept that the shots aren't falling.

I kind of agree but..that is just our game, ya know?

Also, Rodney is absolutely awful tonight. I love that kid but..ugh, this is a terrible game for him.

gcashwell
02-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Things go well when Marshall is in the game, so why is he on the bench?

jipops
02-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Shots not going down have clearly affected us mentally. This could be a very ugly loss.

Gthoma2a
The week off seems to have made us sloppy. Hopefully we get into this so that we don't drop 3 of the last 4 we play in this ACC series.

LBF
Jabari will have to win this on his own. I hope he's not too tired

Furniture
02-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Things go well when Marshall is in the game, so why is he on the bench?

I was thinking the same thing!

bob blue devil
02-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Our problem is 4-22 from 3. On a bad night, we'd be 7-22, or up 9 (as of 6.30).

Gthoma2a
02-15-2014, 08:00 PM
Burn the unis? With this kind of shooting, I think there is a case.

jipops
02-15-2014, 08:00 PM
No more stops. Sigh

Wildling
02-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Where is Cook?

ChrisP
02-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Missing chippies now. Thank goodness for Rasheed's 3!!!

mattman91
How many times are we gonna dribble without the ball?

Billy Dat
We need to find a way to win this game, we just need a bucket and a stop to get us started...let's go!

gcashwell
02-15-2014, 08:08 PM
When getting killed in the paint, why not play your tough seven footer?

Furniture
02-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Where is Cook?

I think K is not happy with him and is keeping him out or he is injured. After one casual turnover in the first half K got him out of there in a jippy!

g-money
02-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Great D by Amile!!!

Now please, let's run some motion on the other end. Enough hero ball.

Billy Dat
02-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Great D by Amile!!!

Time for a big make....come on!!!!!!!

Gthoma2a
02-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Great D by Amile!!!

That's where we've been hurt this year. We go into one on five when we just need to be solid.

Although, Jabari Parker is a pretty good hero when he does that.

LBF
02-15-2014, 08:15 PM
I'll take a hero right now

g-money
Yes! So happy that Jabari decided to take that one to the rack.

Now let's get a stop.

Billy Dat
Hero ball....but I'll take it!!!!!!!!

Billy Dat
02-15-2014, 08:18 PM
They are are going to get the rock...gotta get a stop.

LBF
02-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Big stop now

gotoguy
02-15-2014, 08:20 PM
They are are going to get the rock...gotta get a stop.

terp ball

g-money
02-15-2014, 08:21 PM
Hero ball....but I'll take it!!!!!!!!

Hey, at least there was one pass on that possession! :) Above average for the second half.

I do like having Sulaimon at the point. He's probably our best drive-and-dish guy - at least as long as Quinn's game is stuck in a polar vortex.

Les Grossman
02-15-2014, 08:22 PM
you get these Ref calls that swing games

gotoguy
02-15-2014, 08:23 PM
Hey, at least there was one pass on that possession! :) Above average for the second half.

I do like having Sulaimon at the point. He's probably our best drive-and-dish guy - at least as long as Quinn's game is stuck in a polar vortex.

Close

Billy Dat
Doesn't get any closer than that.

g-money
It's better to be lucky than good, baby!!!

Les Grossman
Refs tried, but they couldn't swing it

LBF
02-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Thank you sweet baby jesus

Billy Dat
02-15-2014, 08:24 PM
It's better to be lucky than good, baby!!!

Word...it's good to be both.

Gthoma2a
02-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Thank you sweet baby jesus

Dear Eight Pound, Six Ounce, Newborn Baby Jesus, in your golden, fleece diapers, with your curled-up, fat, balled-up little fists pawin' at the air...