PDA

View Full Version : WashPost video on Duke/MD

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-13-2014, 12:13 PM
I hated calling it a rivalry, but there was definitely a special relationship between the two programs. Lots of former players, coaches, and media types interviewed in this 20 min documentary on the 2001 and 2002 teams. There's also a special shoutout from Steve Blake to the crazie who read his paper to him. Worth a watch.

Two years, two titles and the peak of a 'rivalry'
As the Duke Blue Devils and Maryland Terrapins prepare for their last ever, regular season men's basketball game as ACC foes, former players and coaches revisit the two seasons that defined a heated rivalry.

http://wapo.st/1fhgAQm

If someone can embed the video, that'd be great.

The Gordog
02-13-2014, 01:07 PM
I hated calling it a rivalry, but there was definitely a special relationship between the two programs. Lots of former players, coaches, and media types interviewed in this 20 min documentary on the 2001 and 2002 teams. There's also a special shoutout from Steve Blake to the crazie who read his paper to him. Worth a watch.

Two years, two titles and the peak of a 'rivalry'
As the Duke Blue Devils and Maryland Terrapins prepare for their last ever, regular season men's basketball game as ACC foes, former players and coaches revisit the two seasons that defined a heated rivalry.

http://wapo.st/1fhgAQm

If someone can embed the video, that'd be great.

Funny how they neglect to mention how we cruhed them by 21 points on 1/17/2002.

Or how they didn't even make the ACCT Final and we won that as well.

flyingdutchdevil
02-13-2014, 01:21 PM
Funny how they neglect to mention how we cruhed them by 21 points on 1/17/2002.

Or how they didn't even make the ACCT Final and we won that as well.

Really? That's what surprises you, given that it's from the WashPost, the national paper that represents the College Park community (amongst over communities in the DC area, of course).

I find it strange that DBR rarely talks about the Henderson elbow when he talk about Duke/UNC. Or the absolute beating we got in Cameron 2 years ago.

Faison1
02-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Wow. That was really good. Those 2 years in particular were epic with Maryland. I'm glad the Washington Post put that together, and frankly, really surprised at the tone with which they ended the piece. Very dark and cynical.

Putting aside the boneheaded decision Maryland made to leave the ACC, I will miss having them in the conference for a variety of reasons.....having a presence in DC....many notable Maryland Alums....a pretty good rivalry through the years.

But, Syracuse is a much better rivalry to develop. I never really liked much about the State of Maryland or their fan base. However, I will always consider their move to the Big Ten as one of the biggest college blunders in history.

FerryFor50
02-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Nothing like a 2 year rivalry to bring back memories.

Maryland... SEE YA!

Duvall
02-13-2014, 02:14 PM
Really? That's what surprises you, given that it's from the WashPost, the national paper that represents the College Park community (amongst over communities in the DC area, of course).

That doesn't sound very national.

Anyway, the Washington Post and other DC media are consistently incredibly provincial. It's not just Maryland.

flyingdutchdevil
02-13-2014, 02:17 PM
That doesn't sound very national.

Anyway, the Washington Post and other DC media are consistently incredibly provincial. It's not just Maryland.

Whoops. Meant to say "other communities," not "over communities". The WashPost is a national paper whose historic audience has been the DC area. College Park falls within that area.

Here is a Turtle
02-13-2014, 02:36 PM
The Washington Post has covered nationally for some time now, but they always focused on the DMV area in particular. As far as sports, Maryland and Georgetown are the big ones. Virginia to a lesser extent. GW and VCU have been getting some coverage lately as well.

That said, I enjoyed the documentary - very well done. I'm not ready to say Maryland to the big ten is a blunder though. i'd rather wait a few years of being in the league first. West Virginia to the Big 12 is looking questionable due to the travel, but I still feel the Big Ten travel as far as actual distance is concerned, is over-exaggerated anyway. Time will tell there.

Edouble
02-13-2014, 07:45 PM
I thought it was a fun, well-done look back. I wish the video of the old games had been a bit better.

Neglecting to include Boozer's injury in the second game of 2001 certainly makes it seem like we were more evenly matched than we were. We pretty much had their number in 2001, turning it up a notch when necessary. At the time, I never felt too threatened by them. Battier was leading us down a pretty special road. With him and Jason Williams, I never thought that upstart Maryland was a threat, mostly because the "rivarly" had really started in the '98-'99 season (when they thought that Steve Francis was going get two wins against Duke) and they had been attempting to break through for years. Of course, we embarrassed them twice in '98-'99.

In 2002, they were the real deal. When they finally won the NC, I remember thinking that the whole team's reaction looked more like relief than joy. Like, "thank goodness we won and didn't mess this thing up", or that once they had finally done it, they weren't really sure what to do, or how to celebrate.

I'd never heard Gary say that Coach K said in the ACC Tourney handshake that they might be playing again. It's pretty well documented that Battier told Dixon at the end of the same game "See you at the Final Four".

Troublemaker
02-13-2014, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I thought that video was well done, too. I can forgive them for not mentioning the Boozer injury or Duke's beatdown of them in Cameron in 2002. Glad to see there was almost no terping. Except for Steve Blake saying he shouldn't have fouled out in the Miracle Minute game, there was no terping from the MD players, Gary, or MD radio voice about those Duke-MD games.

gep
02-13-2014, 11:40 PM
I thought that video was very well done. Oh... the memories. After 2000 through 2002, I thought Duke v Maryland were games I would wait anxiously for every year. Duke v unc is forever... especially for fans in NC that have to work side-by-side every day.

But, as years went on after 2003, Maryland became... well... obnoxious, and reached a high in the JJ years. In those years and since, I don't look forward to Maryland games at all. It became just another ACC game that Duke wins.

But (again), when Vasquez came on the scene, it became fun again, to some extent. I enjoyed Vasquez. And that last game in his senior night against Duke, where whatever he did went in, I actually felt good for him.

When I heard that Maryland was leaving the ACC, I think I was more happy than sad. To me, Maryland *was* ACC along with the other originals. But I think I had enough of them to have to see them once or twice or more each year. And if they thought money was more important than tradition, more power to them. Now, only possibility playing them is in the NCAAT. And if that happens, I expect a Duke blowout win :cool:

gep
02-13-2014, 11:51 PM
I also have very fond memories of Juan Dixon. Especially through the 2000-2002 years. Especially after learning of his hard life growing up, and Gary Williams finding him "in the rough" and giving him a chance. Then, after he graduated with an NC, he came back to Cameron for one of those ACC alumni games... and the Cameron crowd gave Juan a standing ovation. I really thought Maryland v Duke games would continue to be fun and exciting. Oh, how things changed when the Maryland fan base "turned"...:confused:

rsvman
02-14-2014, 01:26 PM
I enjoyed watching the video. Thanks for posting the link.

Matches
02-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Neglecting to include Boozer's injury in the second game of 2001 certainly makes it seem like we were more evenly matched than we were. We pretty much had their number in 2001, turning it up a notch when necessary. At the time, I never felt too threatened by them.

I dunno... I felt pretty threatened when they had us down by 22 in the F4 game.

Not that I thought we were out of it, but surely even the more optimistic among us thought they had a CHANCE at that point. :)

Those really were some great great games. I think sometimes we get too caught up in denying that the Maryland games were anything other than run of the mill - and at times we doth protest too much. It didn't last, because they faded relatively quickly, but those games in 2001 and 2002 were as intense as any non-UNC games I can remember.

nmduke2001
02-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Gary mentions that his team beat Kentucky, Kansas and Indiana to win the Championship and all of those teams expected to win it all. I would argue that with all of the returning talent and the addition of Dante, the only team that really "expected" to win it was Duke. Maybe that's why Duke lost. But I'm positive the other 7 teams were very happy that Indiana upset Duke.

Newton_14
02-14-2014, 07:21 PM
I dunno... I felt pretty threatened when they had us down by 22 in the F4 game.

Not that I thought we were out of it, but surely even the more optimistic among us thought they had a CHANCE at that point. :)

Those really were some great great games. I think sometimes we get too caught up in denying that the Maryland games were anything other than run of the mill - and at times we doth protest too much. It didn't last, because they faded relatively quickly, but those games in 2001 and 2002 were as intense as any non-UNC games I can remember.

As did I. I was a mental wreck. I finally got some semblance of faith just before halftime, until Dixon drained a 3 to finish the half.

It is strange how the human mind works, but one of my favorite memories from that year is from Saturday morning on ACC Semi-Finals (Nate-Dogg tipin thriller). I played golf that morning with a large group of friends. Right after we finished the round someone mentioned they had just heard the line on the game and Duke was a 1 point favorite. One of my buddies was incredulous. He was like "that makes no sense. they just lost to them at home at full strength with Boozer. No way they win this game today". I replied with, OK big boy, then why don't you stroll on into the Pro Shop, call the bookie and lay a cool $1000 on Maryland. He did not feel so certain.

I had fallen prey to the "It's Over" mantra when Boozer went down as well. When they killed unc that next Sunday I was super surprised. After they squeaked by Maryland in the ACC semi's and crushed unc again, I started to marvel in the magic K was cooking up and believe.

The rest as they say, was history. Fun times...

Edouble
02-14-2014, 08:43 PM
As did I. I was a mental wreck. I finally got some semblance of faith just before halftime, until Dixon drained a 3 to finish the half.

It is strange how the human mind works, but one of my favorite memories from that year is from Saturday morning on ACC Semi-Finals (Nate-Dogg tipin thriller). I played golf that morning with a large group of friends. Right after we finished the round someone mentioned they had just heard the line on the game and Duke was a 1 point favorite. One of my buddies was incredulous. He was like "that makes no sense. they just lost to them at home at full strength with Boozer. No way they win this game today". I replied with, OK big boy, then why don't you stroll on into the Pro Shop, call the bookie and lay a cool $1000 on Maryland. He did not feel so certain.

I had fallen prey to the "It's Over" mantra when Boozer went down as well. When they killed unc that next Sunday I was super surprised. After they squeaked by Maryland in the ACC semi's and crushed unc again, I started to marvel in the magic K was cooking up and believe.

The rest as they say, was history. Fun times...

I was at the games here in Atlanta. Live, after the Nate James tip in, at least from the angle of where I was sitting, the shot that Dixon got off didn't even look that good and I thought the game was over. Then it hit the rim, and I thought "Oh, that was a nice heave, but hey... we won!!!"

The crushing of UNC though, was as much about UNC as it was about Duke. I'm sure you'll remember that they lost four Sundays in a row. At halftime of the ACC Championship game, Doherty was out at the layup line, giving each UNC player a high five as they went through the queue. It was pretty pathetic and clear that he had lost the team. It seemed like those UNC player's heart just weren't in it anymore. Almost like the child that is capable of "A"s but pulls "C"s, just because he doesn't want his parents getting any recognition for being great parents.

-jk
02-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Well, if we're reminiscing on '01... I got to Atlanta just in time to receive a call that my mother was on death's doorstep. Hopped a plane back to D'erm and Mr Duke's hospital (where they 'speriment on ya' - or so they said).

My mother had come down with a really bad pneumonia: months in that hospital, getting - and getting over - various complications.

Anyway, my brothers and I, and Doug Hinds (honorary family member), were in her room on the ICU watching the unc championship game. First half, her vitals spiking, going all over the place. Nurse showing up so often she finally just stayed (and vainly tried to shoo us out - heh!). Second half, Mom was quite mellow. She knew, somewhere deep down. She knew. The unconscious mind is an amazing thing.

It was the only ACC tournament or NCAA final four game with Duke playing that she ever missed. (And I was there with her for my first final four in '63. And several others.)

Edit to add: my mother met Doug at the College Park exit from the Beltway hitch-hiking to Cole. Full circle.

-jk

summerwind03
02-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Well, if we're reminiscing on '01... I got to Atlanta just in time to receive a call that my mother was on death's doorstep. Hopped a plane back to D'erm and Mr Duke's hospital (where they 'speriment on ya' - or so they said).

My mother had come down with a really bad pneumonia: months in that hospital, getting - and getting over - various complications.

Anyway, my brothers and I, and Doug Hinds (honorary family member), were in her room on the ICU watching the unc championship game. First half, her vitals spiking, going all over the place. Nurse showing up so often she finally just stayed (and vainly tried to shoo us out - heh!). Second half, Mom was quite mellow. She knew, somewhere deep down. She knew. The unconscious mind is an amazing thing.

It was the only ACC tournament or NCAA final four game with Duke playing that she ever missed. (And I was there with her for my first final four in '63. And several others.)

Edit to add: my mother met Doug at the College Park exit from the Beltway hitch-hiking to Cole. Full circle.

-jk

Wait, what? How did I not know that ETA?

ETA: I miss your mom.

Newton_14
02-15-2014, 09:50 AM

-jk

Great story -jk. Thanks for sharing that. I was not aware that was the timing of our board's namesake's passing. The heart rate thing is amazing. She knew indeed. I will never stop being amazed at her consecutive Duke game streak, home/away/neutral you told me about... I can't recall the exact number of games/seasons but you should share that with the board. Unlike the snob of a man that is the guy from the Marcus Smart situation, your mom was the real "SuperFan"... May she rest in peace, watching her Blue Devils from on High...