PDA

View Full Version : X Kind of Reminds Me of Y

Henderson
02-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Ever get that feeling in a game that somebody kind of reminds you of somebody else? The Jabari/Carmelo references seem pretty spot on. Here are some others that occurred to me recently:

When Amile Jefferson runs down the court, he kind of runs like Dennis Rodman did when he played.

Matt Jones looks quite a bit like a young Marcus Allen.

Sean Miller looks like Jimmy Kimmel.

Tyler Ennis looks to me like Mark Jackson when Jackson was in college.

Jamie Dixon looks like the personal injury lawyer on a billboard near my house -- inexpensive ill-fitting suit with mismatched shirt and tie, slicked hair, dirty fingernails. But good at what he does.

Roy looks like a lot of guys I've met at Junior League picnics: Drinking sweet tea, wearing green slacks with goldfish on them, busting up laughing with some goodoboy about some goff story and looking around for the guy who splashes bourbon in the sweet tea while people pretend not to see.

Mary Willingham looks like Nell being tied to the train tracks by Snidely Whiplash.

Todd Zafirovski looks like the president of a Central-Eastern European nation. Any of them.

Courtside, Jim Boeheim looks like a bemused buddha, at peace with the world. (Pressers not as much).

Billy Donovan looks like one of those guys who you always catch checking themselves out in mirrors when they pass them.

Al Maquire, Jim Valvano, and Pete Gillen: They always looked to me like the kid in elementary school who was having too much fun doing something to notice that everyone else thought he was goofy.

Edouble
02-12-2014, 11:21 PM
Tyler Hansbrough reminds me of Beaker.

OldPhiKap
02-12-2014, 11:30 PM
Is this thread like a simile?

-jk
02-12-2014, 11:48 PM
Is this thread like a simile?

No, it's a metaphor.

nmduke2001
02-13-2014, 12:04 AM
Ever get that feeling in a game that somebody kind of reminds you of somebody else? The Jabari/Carmelo references seem pretty spot on. Here are some others that occurred to me recently:

When Amile Jefferson runs down the court, he kind of runs like Dennis Rodman did when he played.

Matt Jones looks quite a bit like a young Marcus Allen.

Sean Miller looks like Jimmy Kimmel.

Tyler Ennis looks to me like Mark Jackson when Jackson was in college.

Jamie Dixon looks like the personal injury lawyer on a billboard near my house -- inexpensive ill-fitting suit with mismatched shirt and tie, slicked hair, dirty fingernails. But good at what he does.

Roy looks like a lot of guys I've met at Junior League picnics: Drinking sweet tea, wearing green slacks with goldfish on them, busting up laughing with some goodoboy about some goff story and looking around for the guy who splashes bourbon in the sweet tea while people pretend not to see.

Mary Willingham looks like Nell being tied to the train tracks by Snidely Whiplash.

Todd Zafirovski looks like the president of a Central-Eastern European nation. Any of them.

Courtside, Jim Boeheim looks like a bemused buddha, at peace with the world. (Pressers not as much).

Billy Donovan looks like one of those guys who you always catch checking themselves out in mirrors when they pass them.

Al Maquire, Jim Valvano, and Pete Gillen: They always looked to me like the kid in elementary school who was having too much fun doing something to notice that everyone else thought he was goofy.

Sheed reminds me of Leandro Barbosa.

brevity
02-13-2014, 12:37 AM
Dan LeBatard's radio show has a recurring segment similar to this thread. He and his staff describe what sports personalities would look like if they weren't famous for sports. Examples I recall:

Lou Holtz looks like a conductor of model trains, complete with hat.

Shane Battier looks like the pro tennis instructor at the club who may be hitting on your wife.

Roy Williams looks like the small town, old-timey pharmacist who always has extra lollipops for the kids.

luburch
02-13-2014, 12:39 AM
I think Jabari is more Paul Pierce than Carmelo.

But while we're at it Noah Vonleh reminds me of Chris Bosh.

Edouble
02-13-2014, 12:40 AM
I've always felt that Quinn Cook looks like a jazz/bebop player, probably on the horn.

Wander
02-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Andre Dawkins ---> Wayne Ellington

flyingdutchdevil
02-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Andre Dawkins ---> Wayne Ellington

That doesn't bode well for Dawkins's NBA career.

Matt Jones looks a little like Coach Taylor from Friday Night Lights.

Jabari plays like Carmelo. His jumper isn't good enough to be like Pierce.

Sulaimon looks like Barbosa but plays like a superstar (bias!)

Rodney Hood reminds me of a taller and more athletic Richard Hamilton without the dreads.

UNC's frontline reminds me of a train wreck.

Tyler Ennis reminds me of poor man's Chris Paul.

grad_devil
02-13-2014, 09:58 AM
I think Rasheed carries himself like Kobe. Just the way he walks on the court, and especially how he talks during interviews. I think he probably watched him a lot as a kid, and, knowingly or not, mimicked much of his game/mannerisms.

I think the same is true with Kobe and MJ.

Using the transitive property, Rasheed == Kobe == MJ, and Rasheed will turn out to be the greatest player to ever play the game. This begins with a break-out 50pt/24assist/15rebound game next Thursday.

QED

You just can't argue with Maths.

weezie
02-13-2014, 10:47 AM
FYI, I look like Heidi Klum.

grad_devil
02-13-2014, 10:59 AM

I definitely see this, too - but not until you mentioned it. It's that same "bounce" that Rodman had.

I hope that the "bounce" and their penchant for being grabbing rebounds is all they ever have in common :)

luvdahops
02-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Aaron Gordon reminds me of Shawn Marion

Agree that Jabari is much more similar to Carmelo than Pierce

CrazyNotCrazie
02-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Dan LeBatard's radio show has a recurring segment similar to this thread. He and his staff describe what sports personalities would look like if they weren't famous for sports. Examples I recall:

Lou Holtz looks like a conductor of model trains, complete with hat.

Shane Battier looks like the pro tennis instructor at the club who may be hitting on your wife.

Roy Williams looks like the small town, old-timey pharmacist who always has extra lollipops for the kids.

Lou Holtz reminds me of Grandpa Simpson from The Simpsons

gam7
02-13-2014, 12:59 PM
Dez Bryant looks like Stringer Bell.

How about this for a nickname for Amile Jefferson: The Law. As in, the long arm(s) of the law. You know, because he has long arms. I think this would be a good nickname for Kevin Durant too.

flyingdutchdevil
02-13-2014, 01:12 PM

How about this for a nickname for Amile Jefferson: The Law. As in, the long arm(s) of the law. You know, because he has long arms. I think this would be a good nickname for Kevin Durant too.

The Slim Reaper is still the best nickname for Durant.

BD80
02-13-2014, 01:18 PM
... How about this for a nickname for Amile Jefferson: The Law. As in, the long arm(s) of the law. You know, because he has long arms. ...

But what happens next year when Winslow replaces Jefferson?

Substituting Justise for The Law?

Imagine the consequences for the unc games? tar heel players generally avoid facing The Law - maybe ol' roy will just forfeit the games and have his team run extra laps and claim victory.

MCFinARL
02-13-2014, 01:24 PM

Imagine the consequences for the unc games? tar heel players generally avoid facing The Law - maybe ol' roy will just forfeit the games and have his team run extra laps and claim victory.

Love your conclusions here, but I'm not so sure about your premise--isn't Winslow a wing? Why would he be replacing Jefferson?

luburch
02-13-2014, 01:41 PM
The Slim Reaper is still the best nickname for Durant.

I still like Durantula.

superdave
02-13-2014, 02:22 PM
Which past Duke season does this season remind you of?

I'd characterize this season as a lot of new blood because of the newcomers (Jabari, Rodney, Matt, Semi) and also because of the los off a significant senior class. I'd also characterize us as not having great chemistry out of the gate, but slowly coming together through tinkering.

With our team being dominated by newbies, I'd say that reminds me of 1998 (freshman class of Avery/Brand/Battier/Burgess), 2003 (Redick/Williams/Dock/Shav) or perhaps 1990 (Hurley/McCaffrey/Hill). 1990 probably does not fit because we had Phil, Brickey, Alaa and Laettner leading the way for the most part.

As for teams that took a little while to gel (tough losses early, maybe a bad road loss or two, or even some glaring weakness that needs addressing), that's a little more subjective. 2010 comes to mind. Remember how we couldn't win on the road? Well, we lost at ND and Clemson this season. We didn't really get an identity as a team until Zoubek started and showed off his rebounding prowess. Parallels to this season are Jabari going back inside and not taking so many jumpers, as well as Amile and Marshall giving us significant minutes after slow starts, or even Andre catching fire.

In 1990 we were 11-6 at road/neutral sites heading into the NCAA Tourney which is somewhat below average. But then we got hot and offed really good UConn and Arkansas teams before the title game fiasco. We also took a bit of time to gel in 1991, losing early games to Arkansas and Gtown, as well as ACC road games at UVA, Wake and State. We went on to win the title after an ugly ACCT loss to Carolina.

I am looking forward to how this season plays out. Coach K seems to have a better handle on his personnel, lineup changes etc than he did in December. We've also had guys figure out how to contribute and how to play through slumps. If we can start getting end-of-game stops, I'll feel a lot more confident going into the post-season. We're close.

gam7
02-13-2014, 02:44 PM
The Heat look like the Lakers, each beginning with winning the NBA title with Shaq. Pretty interesting. Check this out: http://i.imgur.com/4gSMw36.jpg

mattman91
02-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Amile Jefferson looks like JJ from "Good Times".

meowmix911
02-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Amile Jefferson plays like Rodman, but looks like a young AC Green (minus the afro)...

flyingdutchdevil
02-13-2014, 02:57 PM
Which past Duke season does this season remind you of?

I'd characterize this season as a lot of new blood because of the newcomers (Jabari, Rodney, Matt, Semi) and also because of the los off a significant senior class. I'd also characterize us as not having great chemistry out of the gate, but slowly coming together through tinkering.

With our team being dominated by newbies, I'd say that reminds me of 1998 (freshman class of Avery/Brand/Battier/Burgess), 2003 (Redick/Williams/Dock/Shav) or perhaps 1990 (Hurley/McCaffrey/Hill). 1990 probably does not fit because we had Phil, Brickey, Alaa and Laettner leading the way for the most part.

As for teams that took a little while to gel (tough losses early, maybe a bad road loss or two, or even some glaring weakness that needs addressing), that's a little more subjective. 2010 comes to mind. Remember how we couldn't win on the road? Well, we lost at ND and Clemson this season. We didn't really get an identity as a team until Zoubek started and showed off his rebounding prowess. Parallels to this season are Jabari going back inside and not taking so many jumpers, as well as Amile and Marshall giving us significant minutes after slow starts, or even Andre catching fire.

In 1990 we were 11-6 at road/neutral sites heading into the NCAA Tourney which is somewhat below average. But then we got hot and offed really good UConn and Arkansas teams before the title game fiasco. We also took a bit of time to gel in 1991, losing early games to Arkansas and Gtown, as well as ACC road games at UVA, Wake and State. We went on to win the title after an ugly ACCT loss to Carolina.

I am looking forward to how this season plays out. Coach K seems to have a better handle on his personnel, lineup changes etc than he did in December. We've also had guys figure out how to contribute and how to play through slumps. If we can start getting end-of-game stops, I'll feel a lot more confident going into the post-season. We're close.

But the youngins don't rule this team. Matt and Semi barely play and Rodney is a true junior with two years of college practice under his belt. Also, let's face it - Jabari doesn't play like a freshman.

We are a young team, but most of our key players - Hood, Jefferson, Cook, Sulaimon - aren't new to the program. This reminds me of the 1999 team without a massive front court or a super talented senior in Langdon. It's a mix of primarily sophomores and really talented 2-4 players with a playmaker at the 1 and a steady senior presence.

hurleyfor3
02-13-2014, 04:41 PM
If X reminds you of Y, you probably failed coordinate geometry.

Tappan Zee Devil
02-13-2014, 08:06 PM

unless there is a linear relationship

Indoor66
02-13-2014, 08:28 PM

Nah, they just won't eat dinner because no one will be permitted to select a restaurant.

OldPhiKap
02-13-2014, 10:09 PM
FYI, I look like Heidi Klum.

Are you trying to get me to say something inappropriate again? ;/)

I get confused for Sean Connery a lot. Well, he and Don Knotts. "It's complicated"

OldPhiKap
02-13-2014, 10:11 PM

unless there is a linear relationship

Euclid is for the narrow-minded. No offense, of course. ;-)

throatybeard
02-13-2014, 10:25 PM

I don't see much of a resemblance to Idris Elba. And I'm slightly gay for Idris Elba, so I've spent quite some time looking at him.

Lou Holtz reminds me of Grandpa Simpson from The Simpsons

Yes, but he's even less coherent.

Son of Jarhead
02-13-2014, 11:10 PM
How about this for a nickname for Amile Jefferson: The Law. As in, the long arm(s) of the law. You know, because he has long arms.

Amile's arms make me think of Inspector Gadget... "Go, go, gadget arms!!"

gam7
02-14-2014, 02:19 AM
Amile's arms make me think of Inspector Gadget... "Go, go, gadget arms!!"

I've had the exact same thought! I think that would be a good one too. Or Inspector Grab It. As in rebounds.

gam7
02-14-2014, 02:27 AM
I don't see much of a resemblance to Idris Elba. And I'm slightly gay for Idris Elba, so I've spent quite some time looking at him.

Apparently I'm not the only one who sees the resemblance. Take a look. http://doppspot.tumblr.com/post/67518626323/dez-bryant-idris-elba

1999ballboy
02-14-2014, 04:38 PM

I actually think Todd looks a lot like a pudgier Christian Bale. Similar facial features. http://www.listal.com/viewimage/789488h

Lance Thomas looks like Dave Chappelle. And Brandan Wright looks like an Easter Island head.