PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke at UNC postponed to 2/20

Pages : [1] 2

Onlyduke
02-12-2014, 08:18 AM
Do you think the game will be postponed tonight due to bad weather?

captmojo
02-12-2014, 08:24 AM

No. Now, I will satisfy the 4 character requirement.

camion
02-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Not to worry, if fans can't make it they have much experience simulating a crowd at the Dome. :)

fidel
02-12-2014, 09:10 AM
Something like if a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?

If the Dome is snowed in and nobody is there to watch the game, is it still quiet?

Henderson
02-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Not to worry, if fans can't make it they have much experience simulating a crowd at the Dome. :)

It'll be a "good new, bad news" situation for those who do attend.

Good news: The Chablis will be cold, and no one will question why they are sitting on their hands.
Bad news: The brie will be cold too, and if they sit on it, their hands will get gooey.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-12-2014, 09:13 AM

I am much more concerned with whether or not I lose power and can't watch the game.

wilko
02-12-2014, 09:15 AM
I am much more concerned with whether or not I lose power and can't watch the game.

Ya!! - Snow I can ignore... Ice is no joke!

jjasper0729
02-12-2014, 09:20 AM

That's my concern as well. I plan to have a full charge on my phone so I can stream the game on watchespn in case of a dire emergency.

As for the game itself, ACC rules say as long as they have two teams and at least two refs, the game is on.

Mike Corey
02-12-2014, 09:25 AM
Everyone traveling to and from the game, just be safe out there.

Native
02-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Ticket prices are falling fast on StubHub.

Suffice it to say that more than a few Crazies might just make the trip over to the Dean Dump tonight.

jv001
02-12-2014, 09:40 AM

Suffice it to say that more than a few Crazies might just make the trip over to the Dean Dump tonight.

Round em up Native. I'll be looking for you guys, and gals tonight. Bring home a Duke victory. GoDuke!

jjasper0729
02-12-2014, 09:43 AM

That would be a hoot and a half... Roy couldn't throw them ALL out could he?

ricks68
02-12-2014, 09:43 AM

That's why we moved off the mountain and into my cousin's condo last night. It's just under 2 miles from Asheville Brewing Company for us now. They may be open, so we brought our all-weather hiking boots with us. Seriously.

We don't have much of a choice, as my cousin's TV, nor ours, is viable at this time. and ESPN doesn't allow any streaming without a TV provider.:(

ricks

Channing
02-12-2014, 09:45 AM

This would be amazing!!!

Native
02-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Blue Suit Guy and myself are almost certainly in, along with a few more of our cohorts.

We found two in the lower bowl for $100 each but we think we can do better once the snow starts falling.

I wonder what would happen if I wore my ref outfit and Roy tried to kick me out... hm...

blazindw
02-12-2014, 09:51 AM
For anyone who (unfortunately) loses power tonight, here's a list (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=187716) of the Blue Devil IMG Sports Radio stations. You may want to tune your emergency radios to the station closest to you so that you won't miss any action. Plus, Bob Harris!

Atlanta Duke
02-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Atlanta is completely shut down and they are telling everyone here to stay off the roads, but GA Tech-Boston College apparently is going to be played tonight (assuming there is power)

As was posted in the UNC-Duke game thread, this constitutes the quorum required the game to proceed - fans are optional

ACC rules regarding the postponement or cancellation of games dictate that as long as both teams and game officials can reach the arena safely, the game will be played.

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/eagles-have-landed-tech-game-likely/ndK8Q/

If government officials are not telling Tech to forget playing a game in Atlanta tonight I cannot imagine Duke-UNC would not be played

Reilly
02-12-2014, 09:58 AM
Blue Suit Guy ...

What's the story on the suit? Took fabric to a tailor? Cannot be off the rack, can it?

jv001
02-12-2014, 10:00 AM
Blue Suit Guy and myself are almost certainly in, along with a few more of our cohorts.

We found two in the lower bowl for $100 each but we think we can do better once the snow starts falling.

I wonder what would happen if I wore my ref outfit and Roy tried to kick me out... hm...

God bless you guys. Be extra careful and bring home that Duke victory! GoDuke!!

Native
02-12-2014, 10:34 AM
What's the story on the suit? Took fabric to a tailor? Cannot be off the rack, can it?

Bought it online. Took it to a tailor. He's yet to decide if it will go down in history or be passed to a next-generation Crazie; he graduates this year.

And our tickets are purchased. We got a great deal — lower level seats in the corner about midway up for $85/each.

So, now:

LET'S GO DUKE! GTHC, GTH

Ichabod Drain
02-12-2014, 10:40 AM

Godspeed to you Native. The snow shouldn't be an issue once the game starts and Dawkins lights the dome on fire.

Reilly
02-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Native wrote: "Bought it online. Took it to a tailor. He's yet to decide if it will go down in history or be passed to a next-generation Crazie; he graduates this year."

Thanks for the information. It's brilliant. I had lost a little faith in the Crazies these last few years, and that suit helped to restore my faith. I'd vote just retire it and let it live in memory only, and let the next generation of Crazies do their own thing, and not be derivative.

-jk
02-12-2014, 11:48 AM
Native wrote: "Bought it online. Took it to a tailor. He's yet to decide if it will go down in history or be passed to a next-generation Crazie; he graduates this year."

Thanks for the information. It's brilliant. I had lost a little faith in the Crazies these last few years, and that suit helped to restore my faith. I'd vote just retire it and let it live in memory only, and let the next generation of Crazies do their own thing, and not be derivative.

Is it "derivative" if it's the same suit? Or does it become "tradition"?

-jk

jv001
02-12-2014, 11:54 AM
I saw a lady wearing a unc sweatshirt coming out of CVS a little while ago. I let her go out the door in front of me. I told her that I would let her go first today, but not tonight. At first she didn't see that I had a Duke sweatshirt on. She then said, I thought they had called off the game tonight. I wanted to tell her it will not do any good to pray for bad weather. The game is on anyway. But I didn't. I did tell her the game is still on. GoDuke!

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-12-2014, 12:09 PM
I saw a lady wearing a unc sweatshirt coming out of CVS a little while ago. I let her go out the door in front of me. I told her that I would let her go first today, but not tonight. At first she didn't see that I had a Duke sweatshirt on. She then said, I thought they had called off the game tonight. I wanted to tell her it will not do any good to pray for bad weather. The game is on anyway. But I didn't. I did tell her the game is still on. GoDuke!

I haven't lived in NC is a long, long time, but I really miss this polite but bitter interaction amongst fans. No one around here cares that today is a major holiday.

Reilly
02-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Is it "derivative" if it's the same suit? Or does it become "tradition"? ...

Maybe both?

"Derivative" can mean "something derived" and "derive" means "to take or receive esp. from a specified source."

"Tradition" = "an inherited ... pattern of .. action or behavior."

It's a brilliant piece of theatre that should just be in the now, is how I see it. Passing it down might be like if some Duke senior threw roses to the Crazies on senior day -- didn't Gene Banks do that? Just let that action and memory be associated with Tinkerbell.

That said, it's the man's suit, and if he wants it to be worn on by others, that is his call. And I'll respect his decision, because I respect the suit. You gotta respect the suit.

the_grad_student
02-12-2014, 12:28 PM

I'll be there to, coming with some of the other grad student ushers. So pumped for this!

Olympic Fan
02-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Just to let you know, I live between Duke and Chapel Hill and as of 12:44 p.m., not a single flake or raindrop has fallen.

The forecast is for snow to start at any minute and for that to change over to sleet and freezing rain -- and ice -- by 4-5 p.m..

My point is, that it actually might not be such a problem getting to the Dome ... getting back might be the nightmare. I also think it unlikely that the accumulation of ice gets bad enough to knock out power until later tonight ... wouldn't that be a hoot -- 15 minutes to go in a tie game and the power at the Dean Dome goes out!

We actually had a Wake-State game in the 1950s interrupted by a power failure ... the finish of the game was played several weeks later. Sometimes people try to be clever by citing that as the longest game in ACC history.

But seriously, I'm optimistic that we get the game in. They ARE predicting power outages in the Triangle tonight, but they are also predicting ice accumulatuion of .25 to .50 inches. It's only at the upper edge of that when widespread power outages occur. I'm not a weatherman, but the way the forecasts are going, I've got to think it only approaches the upper end after midnight.

Of course, this storm is coming from the south, so if you are south of the Triangle, I'm sure your nightmare comes a bit earlier.

Biscuit King
02-12-2014, 12:45 PM
WatchESPN Question: Let's say my power goes out and the phone is my only option. Won't the game be blacked out on WatchESPN, since I live in the ACC viewing area?

I have never figured out the online blackout rules. I live in Atlanta, where the ice flows like wine today.

Olympic Fan
02-12-2014, 01:07 PM
Wow, just before 1 p.m., it was like -- boom. a mixture of snow and sleet started falling ... it only took minutes to dust the grass and coat the cars in my parking lot.

The roads are okay for the moment, but I doubt that lasts long.

BigWayne
02-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Game being played is 100% dependent on whether there is power at the Dean dome. If there is power there, the game will get played and broadcast.

ncexnyc
02-12-2014, 01:23 PM
Wow, just before 1 p.m., it was like -- boom. a mixture of snow and sleet started falling ... it only took minutes to dust the grass and coat the cars in my parking lot.

The roads are okay for the moment, but I doubt that lasts long.
LOL I read your first post and was going to tell you that you're crazy as here in Fayetteville it's been coming down like a blizzard since around 11AM, then I saw your last post. It's still coming down hard and heavy. No way would I be crazy enough to get on the roads tonight, even for FREE tickets. For anyone who does have the nerve to venture out tonight please leave extra early and exercise extreme caution.

uh_no
02-12-2014, 01:34 PM
LOL I read your first post and was going to tell you that you're crazy as here in Fayetteville it's been coming down like a blizzard since around 11AM, then I saw your last post. It's still coming down hard and heavy. No way would I be crazy enough to get on the roads tonight, even for FREE tickets. For anyone who does have the nerve to venture out tonight please leave extra early and exercise extreme caution.

I'm from the great northeast, and thought "i could swing this" but then didn't. I just slid turning into my neighborhood. Unless you're planning to stay the night in CH, I'd recommend not trying to go out...even for cheapo tickets.

If you must be out, please be careful.

DukeDevil
02-12-2014, 01:42 PM

Hopefully nobody is forced to sleep in the Dean Dome tonight, that woudl constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

on the plus side...pickup games all night?

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Northwest of Winston-Salem the fine flakes are now coming down quickly after a slow start about half an hour ago. Roads are being covered quickly. Traffic is almost nonexistent. Temperatures are lingering in the mid twenties and not likely to get much higher today. If you've not made preparations, it may already be too late to try to get out for supplies.

The current forecasts call for a wintry mix to develop for a few hours in the late night hours and into O dark thirty, then shift back to snow for at least the first half of the day Thursday.

I hope that the students who plan to go to Chapel Hill tonight have worked out some sort of alternate transportation or can spend the night after the game!

On an historical note, it was another icy February night several decades ago that one of the most famous Duke - Carolina games took place.

grit74
02-12-2014, 01:56 PM

Maybe the students could petition for a section of the Hall of Fame, with first entries being the blue suit and the speedos guy's speedos(or at least a hi-res photo).

DU82
02-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Hopefully nobody is forced to sleep in the Dean Dome tonight, that woudl constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

Nah, great place to sleep. So quiet. Plus fine alcohol and dairy products.

blazindw
02-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Maybe the students could petition for a section of the Hall of Fame, with first entries being the blue suit and the speedos guy's speedos(or at least a hi-res photo).

The Phalanx would be my first entry and better be unanimous first ballot!!

-jk
02-12-2014, 02:06 PM
The Phalanx would be my first entry and better be unanimous first ballot!!

I think the late, great Doug Hinds would have to be first...

-jk

blazindw
02-12-2014, 02:09 PM
I think the late, great Doug Hinds would have to be first...

-jk

He can be first ballot too! ;)

BlueDevilBrowns
02-12-2014, 02:21 PM

on the plus side...pickup games all night?

I'm sure Ol' Roy would let everyone crash at his house. If it's BYOW, I know Will wouldn't mind.

Reilly
02-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Maybe the students could petition for a section of the Hall of Fame ...

They already have a section, I think. A little alcove/closet-like area you can stand in, w/ blown up photos of the Crazies all around, and cheer noise piped in. It *does* make sense to add some momentos.

Reilly
02-12-2014, 02:25 PM
I'm sure Ol' Roy would let everyone crash at his house ....

When UNC loses, will he be in the dadgum blanket-sharing spirit?

Kimist
02-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Northwest of Winston-Salem the fine flakes are now coming down quickly after a slow start about half an hour ago. Roads are being covered quickly. Traffic is almost nonexistent. Temperatures are lingering in the mid twenties and not likely to get much higher today. If you've not made preparations, it may already be too late to try to get out for supplies.

The current forecasts call for a wintry mix to develop for a few hours in the late night hours and into O dark thirty, then shift back to snow for at least the first half of the day Thursday.

I hope that the students who plan to go to Chapel Hill tonight have worked out some sort of alternate transportation or can spend the night after the game!

On an historical note, it was another icy February night several decades ago that one of the most famous Duke - Carolina games took place.

Boy, do I ever remember that game!

It was a serious combination of enjoying the game plus my date for the game.;)

Alas. . .

k

devildeac
02-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Snowing at about 1-1.5" per hour now in North Raleigh and expecting it to turn to ice from about 6-9 PM according to The Weather Channel app on my iPhone. Then, temps of 33 overnight and rain with a couple more hours of freezing rain from 6-8 tomorrow AM, then more rain and high around 34 with more snow tomorrow afternoon. Nasty.

grit74
02-12-2014, 02:28 PM
They already have a section, I think. A little alcove/closet-like area you can stand in, w/ blown up photos of the Crazies all around, and cheer noise piped in. It *does* make sense to add some momentos.

Thanks. I had forgotten that....

grit74
02-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Maybe both?

"Derivative" can mean "something derived" and "derive" means "to take or receive esp. from a specified source."

"Tradition" = "an inherited ... pattern of .. action or behavior."

It's a brilliant piece of theatre that should just be in the now, is how I see it. Passing it down might be like if some Duke senior threw roses to the Crazies on senior day -- didn't Gene Banks do that? Just let that action and memory be associated with Tinkerbell.

That said, it's the man's suit, and if he wants it to be worn on by others, that is his call. And I'll respect his decision, because I respect the suit. You gotta respect the suit.

Yes, Gene threw roses, and/or put them in each corner of the court...I forget exactly. But I was there, first season with season tickets, same seats I have today. Banks hit the shot to put the game into overime.

Kimist
02-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Excerpt from WRAL (Raleigh) online news:

UPDATE 1:59 p.m.: Vehicles are at full stop along Interstate 85 and Avondale Road in Durham.

UPDATE 1:47 p.m.: Authorities said the left two northbound lanes and the right southbound lane of N.C. Highway 147 (Durham Freeway) are closed near Chapel Hill Road because of multiple vehicle accidents.

UPDATE 1:32 p.m.: Traffic in areas around Raleigh has come to a halt as road conditions have worsened. Cars were stopped along Western Boulevard, and some drivers were ditching their cars and walking along Lake Wheeler and Penny roads. Abandoned cars were also reported on Atlantic Avenue.

Much snow has fallen within the last couple of hours. The real problem is the expected arrival of ice/freezing rain later today.

There could legitimately be game/broadcast problems due to a widespread loss of power in the area. The Dumb Dome has gone dark in the past. . .

k

BlueDevilBrowns
02-12-2014, 02:48 PM
When UNC loses, will he be in the dadgum blanket-sharing spirit?

Oh, I'm sure he wouldn't let the common folk stay in his private home, just the "UNC / Ronald McDonald House for Wayward Former Athletes That Need Herbal Medication" home that he runs.

Quite charitable of him, I think.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Boy, do I ever remember that game!

It was a serious combination of enjoying the game plus my date for the game.;)

Alas. . .

k

Yes, it was one of the games televised in the early days of broadcasting college basketball games. I have reread many times the account of how Artie prepared for the game, the sleet on the campus as he crossed the street from the dorms to Indoor Stadium.......

devil84
02-12-2014, 02:56 PM
It's quite bad in the Triangle right now. We've got about 2" on the ground when there was none 2 hours prior. It was dry at noon with nary a flake in the sky, a few flakes at 12:15, and parking lots were covered by 12:30. The snow is unusually slick, and the salt brine that usually works pretty well can't work when the rate of snowfall is so high.

The just noted that Wake County (Raleigh/Cary) has declared a state of emergency. Traffic is at a standstill on most major roads.

bedeviled
02-12-2014, 03:00 PM
In the twitterverse, I have only seen mention that Duke has _not_ left Durham yet. Chapel Hill Police twitter says that every major road in town is gridlocked. Sooo, maybe this game will be postponed. Is there time to fit it into the schedule? If tickets are bought for super cheap on Stubhub now, are those tickets good for the postponed game (and could we fill the Dome with Duke fans?)?

dukelion
02-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Folks over at IC are saying a cancellation is a real possibility.

Would they make it up on Thursday?

brauf33
02-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Folks over at IC are saying a cancellation is a real possibility.

Would they make it up on Thursday?

There's no way their going to cancel it, there's too much TV money on the line - although ESPN would probably bump everything tomorrow if they pushed the game back.

bedeviled
02-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Here's a Twitter link for you - reporter Andrew Carter (https://twitter.com/_andrewcarter).
States that neither Duke nor officials are at the site yet.

Olympic Fan
02-12-2014, 03:06 PM
The last two hours have been amazing -- but so far just snow. They say we may get 2-5 inches before it changes to ice. I'd bet on the upper end right now, I think we've gotten 2-3 inches in the last two hours.

I'm watching the trees to see about icing and so far, so good. However, the forecast is that the snow turns to sleet/ice after 4 p.m., so stay turned.

wilson
02-12-2014, 03:13 PM
The sudden onset at midday followed by early afternoon gridlock sounds eerily like the situation in Atlanta a couple of weeks back. This time, everybody's home with hatches battened, hoping the power stays on.
Godspeed to all Triangle residents. It would truly be wild if the game got postponed. At least the Olympics are a good backup plan.

DU82
02-12-2014, 03:14 PM
In the twitterverse, I have only seen mention that Duke has _not_ left Durham yet. Chapel Hill Police twitter says that every major road in town is gridlocked. Sooo, maybe this game will be postponed. Is there time to fit it into the schedule? If tickets are bought for super cheap on Stubhub now, are those tickets good for the postponed game (and could we fill the Dome with Duke fans?)?

15-501 looks bad right now, but doesn't appear to be gridlocked. Not as bad as I-85 around Duke St, which looks like Atlanta right now.

We don't have cameras in Chapel Hill yet, so I can't see any traffic conditions there. Closest traffic camera focused on 15-501 is near the South Square area. Jammed westbound towards Hell, I mean Chapel Hell. But moving slowly.

JasonEvans
02-12-2014, 03:15 PM
The Ga Tech - BC game in Atlanta tonight has been postponed (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2014/02/12/boston-college-georgia-tech-game-postponed/NLaG0Pnab5p7ww4EMPW7jK/story.html). It is now due to go off tomorrow (though I suspect that may be a ice-challenge as well.

Georgia Tech says weather and road conditions made it unsafe for game operations personnel, officials and fans to reach McCamish Pavilion.

I strongly suspect something similar is going to happen in the next couple hours for the Duke-UNC game.

-Jason "as for what ESPN shows at 9pm instead... Stanford - Washington? LSU - TxA&M? CentFla - Memphis?" Evans

jjasper0729
02-12-2014, 03:17 PM
The last two hours have been amazing -- but so far just snow. They say we may get 2-5 inches before it changes to ice. I'd bet on the upper end right now, I think we've gotten 2-3 inches in the last two hours.

I'm watching the trees to see about icing and so far, so good. However, the forecast is that the snow turns to sleet/ice after 4 p.m., so stay turned.

I left work at American Tobacco at 12:15ish to get to Cary (not far from the airport). It was dry, nothing falling in Durham down the freeway to I-40 until I got to Aviation Parkway to finally see some flakes. BUT as soon as I got on Aviation to head to Cary, it started to fall in force. I parked my car about 12:50 (so a normal drive to be honest) and at 2:00, I already had 2 inches of snow on the top of it.

It's snowing harder (bigger, wetter flakes) in Cary now so it's going to be bad out. I hope the students that got tickets from stubhub will leave early enough and take their time going over and heading back.

Atlanta Duke
02-12-2014, 03:23 PM
At least the Olympics are a good backup plan.

The local Fox, CBS, and ABC affiliates in Atlanta have pre-empted regularly scheduled programming to go with storm coverage all day but the local NBC affiliate has not gone with storm coverage because (irony alert) it apparently is required by the network to carry Winter Olympics coverage:D

tecumseh
02-12-2014, 03:29 PM
I left work at American Tobacco at 12:15ish to get to Cary (not far from the airport). It was dry, nothing falling in Durham down the freeway to I-40 until I got to Aviation Parkway to finally see some flakes. BUT as soon as I got on Aviation to head to Cary, it started to fall in force. I parked my car about 12:50 (so a normal drive to be honest) and at 2:00, I already had 2 inches of snow on the top of it.

It's snowing harder (bigger, wetter flakes) in Cary now so it's going to be bad out. I hope the students that got tickets from stubhub will leave early enough and take their time going over and heading back.

NCDOT has a good website (http://www.ncdot.gov/traffictravel/) and looking at it I would suggest stay home. Sometimes you just have to eat your losses.

Olympic Fan
02-12-2014, 03:29 PM
My biggest concern is me losing power and Chapel Hill having it.

If the game is played and I can't watch, I will be seriously upset. I do have charged tablet, plus a charged laptop. I can get watchESPN or ESPN3 on both ... the problem is that Time-Warner blacks out the ESPN internet feed when they are broadcasting the game. This kills me when I go to Duke football early and want to watch another ACC game on my laptop.

I think if I lose power, I'll end up using my tablet to catch up on my reading.

uh_no
02-12-2014, 03:31 PM
The local Fox, CBS, and ABC affiliates in Atlanta have pre-empted regularly scheduled programming to go with storm coverage all day but the local NBC affiliate has not gone with storm coverage because (irony alert) it apparently is required by the network to carry Winter Olympics coverage:D

well by the sounds of it, trying to drive in the snow in NC could be come a new olympic sport!

that said, there's more snow here than there is in sochi!

that said, the googles say "1 hour 20 minutes in current traffic" for the cameron to dean dome sprint...why?

https://maps.google.com/?ll=35.824494,-78.792572&spn=0.632457,1.234589&t=h&z=10&layer=t

and it's not as bad as it was about an hour ago...

DukieInKansas
02-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Stay safe, everyone.

Hmmm - is this where I auction off my Kansas log in information for Watch ESPN? What charity should I pick? :D

Olympic Fan
02-12-2014, 03:34 PM
No cancellation as of 3:30 p.m. but it looks like traffic in the Triangle is now in gridlock:

http://www.wral.com/-nasty-winter-storm-to-arrive-in-triangle-wednesday-snow-ice-expected/13382965/

Hope you all are home and safe ... I'm beginning to think the game will be postposed.

The WRAL sports story says it's too early to tell ,,, it was last updated at 1:08 p.m.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/tv-crews-arrive-early-for-duke-unc/13383944/

DU82
02-12-2014, 03:39 PM
well by the sounds of it, trying to drive in the snow in NC could be come a new olympic sport!

that said, there's more snow here than there is in sochi!

that said, the googles say "1 hour 20 minutes in current traffic" for the cameron to dean dome sprint...why?

https://maps.google.com/?ll=35.824494,-78.792572&spn=0.632457,1.234589&t=h&z=10&layer=t

and it's not as bad as it was about an hour ago...

Too many cars in the way. Almost everybody left about 12:15-12:30 when the snow started falling, and hit the roads at the same time. From the traffic cameras/data, 15-501 has some decent spots, but a lot of red on the road, meaning traffic is just crawling. I-40 at 15-501 is relatively open, but I can't move the camera to 15-501. (The guys I'd call are a little busy right now. :-) )

Udaman
02-12-2014, 03:40 PM
This is Atlanta all over again, only (really) much worse because the snow conditions are much worse. The only difference is that several school systems closed down today (but a few didn't).

If Duke's not already at UNC, there is no way this game is going to be played. Even if they are, they might not have the staff on hand to run things.

Stay safe my Durham friends!

uh_no
02-12-2014, 03:42 PM
This is Atlanta all over again, only (really) much worse because the snow conditions are much worse. The only difference is that several school systems closed down today (but a few didn't).

If Duke's not already at UNC, there is no way this game is going to be played. Even if they are, they might not have the staff on hand to run things.

so we should all grab the super cheap tickets for when it gets rescheduled, right?

Dukefan1989
02-12-2014, 03:43 PM
Will tickets still be valid if the game is indeed postponed to a later date?

devildeac
02-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Excerpt from WRAL (Raleigh) online news:

UPDATE 1:59 p.m.: Vehicles are at full stop along Interstate 85 and Avondale Road in Durham.

UPDATE 1:47 p.m.: Authorities said the left two northbound lanes and the right southbound lane of N.C. Highway 147 (Durham Freeway) are closed near Chapel Hill Road because of multiple vehicle accidents.

UPDATE 1:32 p.m.: Traffic in areas around Raleigh has come to a halt as road conditions have worsened. Cars were stopped along Western Boulevard, and some drivers were ditching their cars and walking along Lake Wheeler and Penny roads. Abandoned cars were also reported on Atlantic Avenue.

Much snow has fallen within the last couple of hours. The real problem is the expected arrival of ice/freezing rain later today.

There could legitimately be game/broadcast problems due to a widespread loss of power in the area. The Dumb Dome has gone dark in the past. . .

k

TV reports confirm this. And more. Many accidents and abandoned cars in Raleigh and Durham. Traffic at a standstill in many, many locations. Hope our guys made it to the dump before about 1 PM today. Freezing rain looks to be a couple hours away as it moves north from the sandhills areas of NC. Gonna be an even bigger mess tonight and in the AM tomorrow.

DU82
02-12-2014, 03:48 PM

Latest news is that Southpoint Mall stores are closed, but the mall manager just announced that the mall building is open as a shelter for anybody stuck on I-40. That's a great thing to do, but not good news for this area. (Southpoint is not South Square, for those of you who have left the area before ~2000. Southpoint is off of I-40, about three miles from the Chapel Hill exit on NC 54.)

I-85 in Durham hasn't moved in an hour. Looks like the same trucks in the same position.

Another story on TV, around NC State, there's students just hanging out on the road helping push cars as needed. They said that they didn't have class today, finished their homework, and came out just to help out. And they won't get any course credit for it, either. :-)

I'm not convinced yet that the team can't make it up the hill. However, the ice part of this storm hasn't make it here yet. Assuming the bus has chains, they could take a back route (Erwin Road ) to Franklin Street and on from there.

devildeac
02-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Well, after reading all the posts up thread, watching local news for the last 30 minutes, seeing traffic cams and twitter reports that the team hadn't left Durham at 1 PM, I'm really thinking this game is NOT being played tonight.

El_Diablo
02-12-2014, 03:54 PM
If any Duke fans can get to Chapel Hill...you may be able to get in without a ticket:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/02/12/4687025/unc-may-throw-open-dean-dome-if.html#.UvvemLSAo5c

MChambers
02-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Well, after reading all the posts up thread, watching local news for the last 30 minutes, seeing traffic cams and twitter reports that the team hadn't left Durham at 1 PM, I'm really thinking this game is NOT being played tonight.
Seems like that would be the wisest thing.

Of course, those of us who will be snowbound tomorrow in the nation's capital were so looking forward to savoring this game tonight, so it would be disappointing.

Can't Coach K just pay off the weather people?

tecumseh
02-12-2014, 03:59 PM
This IS America and Big Time athletics which means it is in part about money. All the Big Donors to Carolina can't be too happy if they miss the Duke game…I mean that is what 10% or more of their emotional value of their ticket.

wilson
02-12-2014, 04:06 PM
This IS America and Big Time athletics which means it is in part about money. All the Big Donors to Carolina can't be too happy if they miss the Duke game…I mean that is what 10% or more of their emotional value of their ticket.Roy Williams has more emotion in his little pinky than those people invested in those tickets.

OldPhiKap
02-12-2014, 04:07 PM
IC administrator posted a press release at 3:50 stating:

Game on.

Ticket holders discouraged from traveling, no busses will run. But

Students, come on down -- no tickets necessary.

Link below if allowed, please delete and apologies if not:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=12682629

devildeac
02-12-2014, 04:11 PM
I am not in the dadgum winter wonderland spirit...

DU82
02-12-2014, 04:11 PM
WRAL just reported that the Duke team will leave campus about 6PM

UNC is allowing students in for free. They are encouraging others not to travel, and will not be running the usual shuttle buses.

Atlanta Duke
02-12-2014, 04:15 PM
UNC is allowing students in for free.

Not good. That crowd will be much more enthusiastic than the usual crew.

DU82
02-12-2014, 04:16 PM

That's what happened in 2000 when Maryland came to town with ~20 inches of snow on the ground. It led to UNC putting more student seats closer to the floor.

devildeac
02-12-2014, 04:16 PM

UNC is allowing students in for free. They are encouraging others not to travel, and will not be running the usual shuttle buses.

I hope Native appears in his zebra shirt and has a spare, along with a couple whistles, so he and the Blue Suit guy can help ref this game if our team actually makes it to the dump;).

Bob Green
02-12-2014, 04:21 PM

The game is played on the court, not in the stands!

devildeac
02-12-2014, 04:24 PM
The game is played on the court, not in the stands!

Sit on the bench.
Play on the court.
Sit on the bench.
Play on the court.

(What game/year?) Not sure I know the answer to that one.

Dev11
02-12-2014, 04:27 PM
IC administrator posted a press release at 3:50 stating:

Game on.

Ticket holders discouraged from traveling, no busses will run. But

Students, come on down -- no tickets necessary.

Link below if allowed, please delete and apologies if not:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=12682629

"Buses will not run, but hey opponent 10 miles away, hitch up your ride and get down here!"

dukelion
02-12-2014, 04:27 PM

After enduring the Syracuse crowd does it really matter?

I agree it might be a bit louder but I don't think it impacts the game either way.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-12-2014, 04:35 PM
It will be surreal if the stands are empty-ish.

Really coming down hard now here in Ashevillw

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Wind chill is now 8 degrees in Winston-Salem. I doubt that it's much better in the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area. The heaviest snowfall is yet to come. It will arrive here between 6 and 9P. Later sleet is expected for while. Snow will resume after the sleet.

I hope that all who must be there tonight will be safe in their travels, most especially when it's time to get back home.

dukelifer
02-12-2014, 04:46 PM

That may be a two hour ride given the possibility for stalled/stopped vehicles. Could affect a lot if they are delayed.

DukieInKansas
02-12-2014, 04:55 PM

I suggest any students from Duke wanting to go to the game line their vehicles behind the team bus. Surely the bus will be following a snow plow.

uh_no
02-12-2014, 04:55 PM
That may be a two hour ride given the possibility for stalled/stopped vehicles. Could affect a lot if they are delayed.

15501 is clearing up going south....google says 75 minutes right now from cameron to UNC

dukelifer
02-12-2014, 04:59 PM
15501 is clearing up going south....google says 75 minutes right now from cameron to UNC

getting to the Dean Dome itself will be a challenge- lots of folks are stuck on the road. The boys may need to walk a mile or more.

NashvilleDevil
02-12-2014, 05:03 PM
Starting to see rumblings on twitter that game may not be happening tonight.

uh_no
02-12-2014, 05:03 PM
getting to the Dean Dome itself will be a challenge- lots of folks are stuck on the road. The boys may need to walk a mile or more.

I doubt it.

Bus > car

worst case, I'm sure they would have golf carts or something to cart them the rest of the way

also plow > car

JasonEvans
02-12-2014, 05:05 PM
How furious would you be if you had paid big bucks to get UNC season tickets and for the biggest game of the year the school said, "It is too dangerous for you to come, but anyone who can walk up to the front door can get in for free."

Pretty shameless. Their words may be saying, "stay at home where you are safe," but they are encouraging people to go out in dangerous conditions and try to get to the game. The ACC and UNC should be ashamed of themselves.

-Jason "I suspect that if UNC called up Duke and said they wanted to wait a day, Duke would not mind one bit" Evans

Duvall
02-12-2014, 05:05 PM
I doubt it.

Bus > car

worst case, I'm sure they would have golf carts or something to cart them the rest of the way

also plow > car

When the roads are clogged with abandoned cars, bus = car = useless.

BD80
02-12-2014, 05:11 PM

I gonna guess that the West Point grad has the logistics side of things all square.

noworries
02-12-2014, 05:12 PM
My sister is a UNC student...students got an email at 4:45 that said the game is on as of that time...fwiw

ricks68
02-12-2014, 05:13 PM
It looks like there will not be a game tonight since I can now finally get it on my laptop. I have now jinxed it for everyone else. The only way for everyone else to be able to see it, I may have to make the ultimate sacrifice and break my laptop or lose power at only the condo I am in. Sigh.:(

ricks

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2014, 05:14 PM
There's something wrong with this picture. If it's so hazardous that people are being housed in nearby malls as shelters, why is OK to risk the lives of players, coaches, officials and others?

DBFAN
02-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Some sources close to Gary Parrish are now saying the game may be cancelled. Which is the right thing to do

DBFAN
02-12-2014, 05:17 PM
@BlueDevilLair: Oh? RT @EyeOnCBB: Source to @GaryParrishCBS: "Sounds like [Duke-UNC] may be cancelled." http://t.co/BUg77vtFIL

Ichabod Drain
02-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Mark Armstrong just said Duke sin't leaving and is in discussions with the ACC

jacone21
02-12-2014, 05:28 PM
Keeping our guys on campus is the the right thing to do. It's stupid to put fans and students in danger. Hell can wait.

brevity
02-12-2014, 05:28 PM

----

Not leaving until the game is frozen over.

Fixed it for you.

gam7
02-12-2014, 05:29 PM
I gonna guess that the West Point grad has the logistics side of things all square.

I gonna guess that the West Point grad has delegated 100% of the logistics side of things to someone else and is going to have nothing whatsoever to do with those logistics.

tecumseh
02-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Imagine a student or alum or someone seriously hurt or killed trying to go to game, think at this point you have to call it offer. At the very least you would have to offer refunds. There might bee some legal liability even....less of a headache to just cancel.

AncientPsychicT
02-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Source: Duke Student Broadcasting's Twitter (https://twitter.com/dukeDSB)

Absolutely the right thing to do. This situation is exceedingly dangerous. I would not want our team bus to crash.

JasonEvans
02-12-2014, 05:32 PM
The game has been postponed (http://duke.247sports.com/Article/The-first-round-of-Duke-UNC-will-be-postponed-due-to-weather-177121). Stay safe, stay warm!

-Jason

tecumseh
Where can you squeeze in in? How about a doubleheader at Cameron ;)

Troublemaker
Cancellation is the only reasonable choice. Who in NC even has enough experience with this weather to make a "Travel is okay. Game can be played" determination? You err on the side of safety.

ricks68
02-12-2014, 05:33 PM
It looks like there will not be a game tonight since I can now finally get it on my laptop. I have now jinxed it for everyone else. The only way for everyone else to be able to see it, I may have to make the ultimate sacrifice and break my laptop or lose power at only the condo I am in. Sigh.:(

ricks

I told you that I am the cause of this. Please, please, please don't ban me from DBR because of it. Pleaase!!!!!!:(

(Now I know how you guys feel when you post too soon in the Upset Alert threads.)

ricks

tbyers11
02-12-2014, 05:34 PM

Good point. If the roads/conditions aren't good enough to play tomorrow night, rescheduling becomes a logistical quandary

MarkD83
02-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Yes, Gene threw roses, and/or put them in each corner of the court...I forget exactly. But I was there, first season with season tickets, same seats I have today. Banks hit the shot to put the game into overime.

Since you were there, you might enjoy this picture. I was there as well in the student section on the left side of the photo about 5 rows up.

JasonEvans
02-12-2014, 05:39 PM
I am posting a new thread to be sure everyone sees the news and knows.

By the way, I am pulling for them to reschedule the game by staging the great day of basketball EVER!

Saturday March 8th... Duke at UNC at 1pm.
Saturday March 8th... UNC at Duke at 9pm.

Or, they could do a back-to-back thing where they play on March 8th at Duke and then on Sunday March 9th at UNC.

-Jason "my bet is that they try to get it in tomorrow night... but I am not sure the roads will allow that" Evans

BD80
02-12-2014, 05:40 PM
I gonna guess that the West Point grad has delegated 100% of the logistics side of things to someone else and is going to have nothing whatsoever to do with those logistics.

Which is having it squared away. Who do you think would claim responsibility if there was an issue?

Whose decision was it to wait on campus rather than leave hours early to ensure they got there?

Kedsy
02-12-2014, 05:41 PM

Looking at the two team's schedules, this is a very valid question. We're off from Feb 25 to March 5, but UNC plays the 26th, the 1st, and the 3rd, so doesn't look like you could squeeze it in there. Tomorrow would have them playing 3 times in 5 days and us playing 3 times in 6 days (assuming they can even play tomorrow). Thursday, Feb 20 would have us playing 3 times in 5 days and them playing 3 times in 6 days. And those are the best scenarios from what I can tell looking at both schedules.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2014, 05:41 PM
I told you that I am the cause of this. Please, please, please don't ban me from DBR because of it. Pleaase!!!!!!:(

(Now I know how you guys feel when you post too soon in the Upset Alert threads.)

ricks

You performed a good deed. Anybody who is at all reasonable would agree that it isn't safe for travel even a short distance. Now, go ahead and enjoy those supplies you brought with you!

royalblue
02-12-2014, 05:43 PM
This is a very late call I have been on the road for 3 hrs should have called it by lunch at latest

howardlander
02-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Since you were there, you might enjoy this picture. I was there as well in the student section on the left side of the photo about 5 rows up.

Great picture. I was there too, as I was in the same class with Banks, Dennard and Sudduth. Thanks for posting this.

Howard

jv001
02-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Looking at the two team's schedules, this is a very valid question. Thursday, Feb 20 would have us playing 3 times in 5 days and them playing 3 times in 6 days, and that's the best scenario from what I can tell looking at both schedules. We're off from Feb 25 to March 5, but UNC plays the 26th, the 1st, and the 3rd, so doesn't look like you could squeeze it in there.

How about doing it like we did in slow pitch softball back in the day. If we had a rain out, then the next time we were to play that team, we played the game for 2. In other words, two wins for the winner and two losses for the loser. Hits and outs were doubled for your stat line. I loved that part, because I always carried a .500+ batting average. The least I came out of the game was 4-8 or better. I like the idea if we play in Cameron. GoDuke!

DU82
02-12-2014, 05:47 PM
WRAL just reported the same. They indicated that the UNC SID said the Duke bus could not reach campus to pick up the team.

The schools (and, I'm sure, ESPN) will discuss the makeup arrangements tomorrow.

Duvall
02-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Looking at the two team's schedules, this is a very valid question. We're off from Feb 25 to March 5, but UNC plays the 26th, the 1st, and the 3rd, so doesn't look like you could squeeze it in there. Tomorrow would have them playing 3 times in 5 days and us playing 3 times in 6 days (assuming they can even play tomorrow). Thursday, Feb 20 would have us playing 3 times in 5 days and them playing 3 times in 6 days. And those are the best scenarios from what I can tell looking at both schedules.

I'm sure the ACC will schedule the game at whatever time is least convenient for us.

Festus
02-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Per WRAL, game cancelled because buses cannot get in to pick up Duke players.

crote
02-12-2014, 05:48 PM
The big question now is what date do you reschedule the game for? If playing the game tomorrow isn't an option, comparing the two schedules the best date I can find is February 20. That's the only date I could find that would keep both teams from having to play games on consecutive days. Plus, the next game for both teams is a home game (Wake at UNC, Cuse at Duke, both on 2/22).

What's the precedent for something like this?

arnie
02-12-2014, 05:49 PM
WRAL just reported the same. They indicated that the UNC SID said the Duke bus could not reach campus to pick up the team.

The schools (and, I'm sure, ESPN) will discuss the makeup arrangements tomorrow.

So why didn't we leave early afternoon? Heels fans will love this.

moonpie23
02-12-2014, 05:49 PM
i'm a little surprised that the team didn't go over early this afternoon…..especially knowing the weather was coming….

DU82
02-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Which is having it squared away. Who do you think would claim responsibility if there was an issue?

Whose decision was it to wait on campus rather than leave hours early to ensure they got there?

Probably Coach K. Bus was going to leave at 6, meaning the team dinner was a 5 (always four hours before the game.) No reason to

DukieInKansas
02-12-2014, 05:50 PM
I'm glad they didn't. Travel back would have been horrible.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2014, 05:53 PM
In many ways, it's a relief that this has worked out with a safe result. No game is worth injury or worse because of insisting on being out in dangerous weather conditions. Add to the mix, uncertainty about weather conditions developing overnight.

dukelifer
02-12-2014, 05:53 PM
I am posting a new thread to be sure everyone sees the news and knows.

By the way, I am pulling for them to reschedule the game by staging the great day of basketball EVER!

Saturday March 8th... Duke at UNC at 1pm.
Saturday March 8th... UNC at Duke at 9pm.

Or, they could do a back-to-back thing where they play on March 8th at Duke and then on Sunday March 9th at UNC.

-Jason "my bet is that they try to get it in tomorrow night... but I am not sure the roads will allow that" Evans

They are not sure about tomorrow. Side roads here are a huge mess. It is not warming up until Friday. We will see. I like the idea of back to back games. But snow in March is not unusual. What would happen if Duke and UNC never played in the regular season.

wsb3
02-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Safety of everyone involved has to trump all and if UNC fans want to run their mouth so be it.

Now on a far worse note my nerves have been tied in knots for days for no reason. I have go through this all again.

devilnfla
02-12-2014, 05:54 PM
I bet all those hole fans are regretting selling their tickets now.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2014, 05:55 PM
They are not sure about tomorrow. Side roads here are a huge mess. It is not warming up until Friday. We will see. I like the idea of back to back games. But snow in March is not unusual. What would happen if Duke and UNC never played in the regular season.

A reschedule in early March could also conflict with Duke's Spring Scrimmage.;)

superdave
02-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Fudgesicles!

Now I've got to occupy the 9pm to 11pm slot with back to back episodes of Teen Mom 2.

OldPhiKap
02-12-2014, 05:56 PM
Question is: could they get home safely after 11:30 or so?

Good call to cancel.

jimrowe0
02-12-2014, 05:56 PM
The game will not be played tomorrow according to WRAL.

dukelifer
02-12-2014, 05:57 PM
I bet all those hole fans are regretting selling their tickets now.

Maybe not as much as the fans who are walking home because their cars are stuck on the highway getting to the game which has now been cancelled. Not a good night to be out and about.

nyesq83
02-12-2014, 05:58 PM
I left work early to be home so I could walk to the corner sports pub.

Safety first. Carolina to hell second.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2014, 05:59 PM

Good call to cancel.

Safety of all required to be out for such an event has to come first.

Of course, we don't want this basketball game to be rescheduled to conflict with our Spring Scrimmage on March 1.... we're a football school now!;)

CameronBornAndBred
02-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Hell froze over. Had to happen one day.

fan345678
02-12-2014, 06:02 PM
When do they make this up? It looks like the Dean Dome is only available again between the ACC tourney and the opening NIT game.

Troublemaker
02-12-2014, 06:03 PM
So why didn't we leave early afternoon? Heels fans will love this.

As others have mentioned, it's about getting home, too.

Plus, it's not all about the players and coaches. Refs, media, fans are now safer, too. But it should've been announced much earlier.

BD80
02-12-2014, 06:04 PM
When do they make this up? It looks like the Dean Dome is only available again between the ACC tourney and the opening NIT game.

Just cancelling the game would improve unc's record and our SOS!

NSDukeFan
02-12-2014, 06:04 PM
Wouldn't it have made more sense for Roy to send the bench warmers to drive to Durham to get the Duke team and drive them home? UNC's players who play the most minutes, and most importantly Roy, would still have been safe. If any of the buses had gotten stuck, Roy could have simply thrown a player or two underneath until they got some traction.

PSurprise
02-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Just as long as they schedule it when Dickie V is calling another game so we don't have to listen to his blabber for two hours

DukeDevil
02-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Not sure if it's a typo (and they meant Wednesday), but ESPN said that it was reported the game wouldn't be played Thursday.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10446623/game-duke-blue-devils-north-carolina-tar-heels-postponed-due-weather

jjasper0729
02-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Not sure if it's a typo (and they meant Wednesday), but ESPN said that it was reported the game wouldn't be played Thursday.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10446623/game-duke-blue-devils-north-carolina-tar-heels-postponed-due-weather

They most likely mean that the game tonight is cancelled and tomorrow (Thursday) is not a viable option.

wilko
02-12-2014, 06:08 PM
Just as long as they schedule it when Dickie V is calling another game so we don't have to listen to his blabber for two hours

I would LOVE to see Knight and Walton call a Duke game together...

CameronBornAndBred
02-12-2014, 06:08 PM
Wouldn't it have made more sense for Roy to send the bench warmers to drive to Durham to get the Duke team and drive them home? UNC's players who play the most minutes, and most importantly Roy, would still have been safe. If any of the buses had gotten stuck, Roy could have simply thrown a player or two underneath until they got some traction.

The rental car places closed up early. Roy also didn't want to have to deal with the onslaught of parking tickets.

weezie
02-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Wow, this really is something else now! Plus it would have been creepy to have to spend the night over there in the deep dark hole in the ground place.

Stay safe all you 'DurHamanians!

arnie
02-12-2014, 06:10 PM

Yes no game tomorrow

DU82
02-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Other postponed games have been played on the Monday between the end of the regular season and the start of the ACC Tournament. But that might interfere with UNC's preparation to play Wednesday in the Tournament.

dukelifer
02-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Fudgesicles!

Now I've got to occupy the 9pm to 11pm slot with back to back episodes of Teen Mom 2.

Hopefully they will play a classic game. But will it be a Duke or UNC win? If you could pick your favorite game in the Dean Dome- what would it be? There was a stretch there where a win was hard to come by.

jjasper0729
02-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Hopefully they will play a classic game. But will it be a Duke or UNC win? If you could pick your favorite game in the Dean Dome- what would it be? There was a stretch there where a win was hard to come by.

The one that Al Featherston listed on his column today where Duhon won the game with a drive the length of the court at the buzzer. That would be my pick

Duvall
02-12-2014, 06:17 PM
ACC screws Duke, reschedules game for February 20.

Dukeblue91
Hell froze over. Had to happen one day.

Hahaha that was awesome and made me laugh out loud.
Thanks for that. :D

Channing
Please tell me Duke students who bought tickets get to keep them for the makeup. Also how long before UNC fans say this was a conspiracy by K?

DU82
02-12-2014, 06:18 PM

1988, the first win there. (And, my first game in the DESSAC.)
From Wiki,
January 21, 1988: #9 Duke 70, #2 North Carolina 69[edit]

Duke opened the game with an 11-2 run and eventually led 29-15, but Carolina cut the lead to three before the Blue Devils took a 44-39 halftime lead. Carolina still trailed 55-44 with 12:53 left when J.R. Reid took over the game. Reid scored 14 of Carolina's final 16 points to help the Tar Heels tie the score at 69 with 1:24 to go. A Danny Ferry free throw with 52 seconds remaining provided the winning margin for Duke, but not before Carolina forced a turnover and failed to convert on four field goal attempts in the final 30 seconds. Kevin Strickland scored 22 points and Ferry added 19 for Duke, while Reid dropped in 27 for the Tar Heels. This would become the first of three Duke victories in a season sweep over Carolina in 1988, including the ACC Tournament.

I'd also add the 2001 game (which happens to be my last Duke=Smurf game in the DESSAC)
Shane with the massive block from behind of Joseph (not Joe) Forte's breakaway dunk attempt. Still one of the most amazing plays I've ever seen.

devil84
02-12-2014, 06:19 PM

Good call to cancel.

Given that the bus can't even get there now, the answer is "No." Very good call to cancel.

For those wanting to know why the team didn't go over earlier...most of y'all must not be in the Triangle. At noon, the roads were dry and there was no snow at all. At 12:30, there was a bit of accumulation. By 1:00, we had almost an inch of snow and the roads were bad. By 2:00 we had 2" and the roads were gridlocked. I've never seen accumulation this rapid here (well, maybe the 2000 snow, but that dropped 20" after it was dark). I don't think the 1976 snow accumulated this quickly. This snow is unusually slick, too, and not very easy to drive in. Before 1:00, it wasn't a problem. Once the snow came down faster than anticipated, the problems arrived far earlier than previously thought.

Game days have distinct schedules, and rescheduling a team dinner to another city where businesses are closing probably can't be done. Hard to even drive through Bojangle's if they're closed, let alone find good food for the team. Hard to reschedule a bus, too, as the bus driver has to get to the bus depot to get it on the road; with drivers needing a specified number of hours of rest before driving again, there may not have been a large pool of drivers to pull from. Even something as simple as packing the uniforms for the game has a specific schedule and may not be able to be altered much within 6-8 hours of tip-off. If we had to leave town for this road game, it would have been a different story. Although the BC-GT game isn't happening in Atlanta, either.

And with the Dean Dome being thrown open for anyone who can make it...I shudder to think about how many people would have tried to get there from all parts of the area, risking too many lives.

Native
02-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Please tell me Duke students who bought tickets get to keep them for the makeup. Also how long before UNC fans say this was a conspiracy by K?

We're keeping ours!

hudlow
02-12-2014, 06:21 PM
I guess Carolina will move up in the polls now.

jjasper0729
02-12-2014, 06:23 PM
Game rescheduled for Feb. 20

Festus
02-12-2014, 06:24 PM
Per WRAL, makeup date is Thur, 20 Feb. Time TBD

conmanlhughes
02-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Isn't that the day or 2 before the Syracuse game?

A-Tex Devil
02-12-2014, 06:25 PM
ACC screws Duke, reschedules game for February 20.

Ha! Hope not. It has to be March 10th, right? Not really another day available without having back to back games or moving a game (UNC v ND or Duke v Wake).

Would be really cool to play on Fri night or Sun night and have back to back home and homes.

Edited to add: Oh.... you were serious. That's horrible. March 10th makes a ton more sense.

NashvilleDevil
02-12-2014, 06:26 PM
ESPN Classic is playing the Duke/Carolina game from 2001 when Battier got whistled for the foul on Heywood and Duke lost. I swear every Duke/Carolina game they play on classic is a Duke loss.

karmacoma
Game rescheduled for Feb. 20

Two days before Syracuse surely isn't ideal, but a GREAT teaching tool for the coaching staff. It's akin to a regional final weekend in March.

Duvall
Ha! Hope not. It has to be March 10th, right? Not really another day available without having back to back games or moving a game (UNC v ND or Duke v Wake).

Would be really cool to play on Fri night or Sun night and have back to back home and homes.

No, it's February 20. Because the ACC screwed Duke.

weezie
02-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Other postponed games have been played on the Monday between the end of the regular season and the start of the ACC Tournament. But that might interfere with UNC's preparation to play Wednesday in the Tournament.

Very true DU82. It is so like you to think of the less fortunate and to share your concerns. Really, you are to be applauded for your humanity. :D

Festus
02-12-2014, 06:27 PM
That is true and WRAL commented that two days before Syracuse should quiet the conspiracy theorists who are twittering that Coach K did not want to play in a charged up Dean Dome tonight.

nmduke2001
02-12-2014, 06:33 PM
can someone comment on how bad the storm is right now? Are we talking something like the 2 inches that shut down ATL a few weeks back or something like the 20+ inches that fell over night in Durham in 2001. That storm postponed class for over a week.

dukelifer
Per WRAL, makeup date is Thur, 20 Feb. Time TBD

Wow- that is bad for Duke. Very hard to play two emotional games back to back. Turn around is bad as well. Duke has to let that happen. Could be the season right there.

ricks68
I left work early to be home so I could walk to the corner sports pub.

Safety first. Carolina to hell second.

You lucked out. Now, you get to still go to the pub and then make a second trip for the rescheduled game--------------and you got off work early. Double, or even triple bonus, depending on how you count it!:D

ricks

1 24 90
Don't forget - Duke is at Georgia Tech on Feb 18th, so 3 games in 5 days. Great

weezie
02-12-2014, 06:34 PM
That is true and WRAL commented that two days before Syracuse should quiet the conspiracy theorists who are twittering that Coach K did not want to play in a charged up Dean Dome tonight.

Seriously? Twits Of The Stupid. Charged up dean dump? What, there's a short somewhere and the seats are electrified?

An endless sinkhole of stupidity....

dukelifer
can someone comment on how bad the storm is right now? Are we talking something like the 2 inches that shut down ATL a few weeks back or something like the 20+ inches that fell over night in Durham in 2001. That storm postponed class for over a week.

There are 4-5 inches in Chapel Hill and freezing rain is on its way.

jjasper0729

It's not the 22 inches that fell in 2000, but it's not 2 inches like ATL a couple of weeks ago. It's roughly 3-6 inches of snow, but that snow fell fast and slick in 3-4 hours... now it's turned to sleet/ice to give that snow that fell a frozen shell.

fan345678
Not sure who's at more of a disadvantage on Feb. 20. Duke has Syracuse on the 22nd, but UNC has a big Swahili midterm on the 21st. Tough call.

meowmix911
02-12-2014, 06:37 PM

A few inches but constant. Nowhere near twenty nor will it ever get that way. The south just isn't built for snow.

Atlanta Duke
02-12-2014, 06:37 PM
You folks in the Triangle really need to do a better job of handling snowstorms that hit during the middle of the workday. These kinds of disruptions would never occur in Atlanta:rolleyes:

A-Tex Devil
02-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Not sure who's at more of a disadvantage on Feb. 20. Duke has Syracuse on the 22nd, but UNC has a big Swahili midterm on the 21st. Tough call.

This wins the internet

/thread

nmduke2001
02-12-2014, 06:39 PM
It's not the 22 inches that fell in 2000, but it's not 2 inches like ATL a couple of weeks ago. It's roughly 3-6 inches of snow, but that snow fell fast and slick in 3-4 hours... now it's turned to sleet/ice to give that snow that fell a frozen shell.

Are you sure that it was 2000? I could have sworn that it was early in the spring semester of 2001.

ricks68
02-12-2014, 06:40 PM
You performed a good deed. Anybody who is at all reasonable would agree that it isn't safe for travel even a short distance. Now, go ahead and enjoy those supplies you brought with you!

If my performing that good deed were really the case, I would probably end up with more sporks than any other poster, ever-----------------and to someone who doesn't even deserve the sporks he already has. How ironic that would be.;)

ricks

tbyers11
02-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Are you sure that it was 2000? I could have sworn that it was early in the spring semester of 2001.

Monday-Tuesday Jan 24-25th 2000 was the 20 inch storm. I was there too.

MCFinARL
02-12-2014, 06:41 PM

Plus Maryland on the 15th and Virginia Tech on the 25th, for 5 games in 10 days--but the three in the middle, with two away games (admittedly Chapel Hill isn't bad from a travel standpoint if it's not snowing), is especially brutal, with not much time to prepare for Cuse. Syracuse will have played on Wednesday, and then they have to travel, so they won't have a huge advantage in terms of prep time, but they will likely be a lot better rested, and their Wednesday game is BC at home.

jjasper0729
02-12-2014, 06:44 PM

Yep. My son was born in December of 2000 and everyone kept asking us while his mother was pregnant if he was a snowstorm baby lol. However, the next year, yes, there was another storm but it was only 10-12 inches or so and not as bad as the one in 2000. The big thing about the storm in 2000 was that all the weather forecasts called for 2-3 inches and instead, we got 23.

DukieinSoCal
02-12-2014, 06:45 PM
I don't see how they're going to squeeze this game in before the end of the season. Our only off dates are between 2/25 and 3/5 and UNC's only available slot is between 3/3 and 3/8. Would they ever play on a date where one or both teams would have to play back to back nights? Or maybe 2-3 days after the last regular season game, a few days before the ACCT starts?
I would hate to lose this game completely, esp in a year when we're favored home and away. :)

Newton_14
02-12-2014, 06:47 PM

The roads are terrible, even for here. I-85, 15-501, I540, etc were in absolute gridlock starting around 2pm. I have friends stuck on the roads for hours. The snow was so slick, 2-Wheel drive vehicles could not make it up hills, and tractor trailers were jack-kniving. with all the gridlock the snowplows could not get on the roads to plow them. Most of the triangle has 5-7 inches of the slick snow with it changing to sleet and in some spots, freezing rain.

Very treacherous driving conditions and it is supposed to keep falling in the form of either snow, sleet, or freezing rain til tomorrow mid-day and then change to all snow again. It really would have been a terrible idea to play that game tonight, especially given rabid fans that would have determined to go come hell or high water.

I was a bit surprised K did not alter their schedule yesterday such that they travelled there early this morning and stayed in a hotel there tonight, but on the other hand I can understand not wanting to change the normal schedule, especially for a unc game.

In the end I think they made the right decision for all involved, players, coaches, fans, officials, etc.

nyesq83
02-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Monday-Tuesday Jan 24-25th 2000 was the 20 inch storm. I was there too.

Classes were canceled for the first time one day in 1980. We had 18"...you younger alums always have to outdo us?

:rolleyes:

jjasper0729
02-12-2014, 06:51 PM
This will be a good test for the training staff to make sure everyone stays rested and stays hydrated from the 15th through the 25th.

dukelifer
02-12-2014, 06:53 PM
I don't see how they're going to squeeze this game in before the end of the season. Our only off dates are between 2/25 and 3/5 and UNC's only available slot is between 3/3 and 3/8. Would they ever play on a date where one or both teams would have to play back to back nights? Or maybe 2-3 days after the last regular season game, a few days before the ACCT starts?
I would hate to lose this game completely, esp in a year when we're favored home and away. :)

Already been made up and Duke is really disadvantaged have to play 2 days before Syracuse. A bad night just got worse.

DukieInKansas
02-12-2014, 06:54 PM

This wins the internet

/thread

Yes it does - and I couldn't spork him. I've handed out too many sporks lately.

I'm really glad they postponed the game. I kept thinking about Dawkins as the snow was being reported.

Newton_14
02-12-2014, 06:54 PM

The big snow was January 2000, not 01. Sorry. :)

Henderson
02-12-2014, 06:55 PM
"If God is a Tarheel, They Must Have Prayed That He Spare Them From Doom Tonight."

BD80
02-12-2014, 06:56 PM
You people are all so obsessed with your own lives, you are missing what is truly important ...

How does this impact ol' roy?

Dadgummit, with all he has been through already, now Mother Nature is piling on too?

The heck with all those people trapped on highways or in houses with no power, ol' roy has yet another significant inconvenience to deal with this season!

Will it never end?

Troublemaker
02-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Wow- that is bad for Duke. Very hard to play two emotional games back to back. Turn around is bad as well. Duke has to let that happen. Could be the season right there.

We'll be okay, I think. It's not ideal but we'll accept the challenge, play even deeper (the return of line changes?), and hopefully win 3 games in 5 days.

Furniture
02-12-2014, 06:58 PM
The roads are terrible, even for here. I-85, 15-501, I540, etc were in absolute gridlock starting around 2pm. I have friends stuck on the roads for hours. The snow was so slick, 2-Wheel drive vehicles could not make it up hills, and tractor trailers were jack-kniving. with all the gridlock the snowplows could not get on the roads to plow them. Most of the triangle has 5-7 inches of the slick snow with it changing to sleet and in some spots, freezing rain.

Very treacherous driving conditions and it is supposed to keep falling in the form of either snow, sleet, or freezing rain til tomorrow mid-day and then change to all snow again. It really would have been a terrible idea to play that game tonight, especially given rabid fans that would have determined to go come hell or high water.

I was a bit surprised K did not alter their schedule yesterday such that they travelled there early this morning and stayed in a hotel there tonight, but on the other hand I can understand not wanting to change the normal schedule, especially for a unc game.

In the end I think they made the right decision for all involved, players, coaches, fans, officials, etc.

I agree. I'm not from the south and i am used to snow but this is a very dangerous situation. It's also like every weather decision in the South. No win!
Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

But I am really bummed at the moment. For some reason I was really psyched up for this one...

uh_no
02-12-2014, 06:58 PM
We'll be okay, I think. It's not ideal but we'll accept the challenge, play even deeper (the return of line changes?), and hopefully win 3 games in 5 days.

as someone pointed out...it's almost like playing 2 games in 3 days in the tournament!

sounds like a great opportunity for post season prep to me

DBFAN
02-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Important to note that we get this day to rest as well. So 6 days instead of 3 will help.

DBFAN
02-12-2014, 07:01 PM

Just have to tell you I quoted that on Twitter

Nice!!

Duvall

The season?

uh_no
wilbon just said on PTI that duke had no excuse, since it's winter olympics season and all the young guys snowboard, the team should have whipped up some boards and snowboarded over there

of course he was joking...but it was amusing.

Clay Feet POF
02-12-2014, 07:02 PM

Maybe this is were we test Short bench vs Deep bench arguments

1 24 90
02-12-2014, 07:03 PM
Important to note that we get this day to rest as well. So 6 days instead of 3 will help.

This is confusing? Do you mean for the game on the 20th or for Maryland this Saturday?

Henderson
02-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Already been made up and Duke is really disadvantaged have to play 2 days before Syracuse. A bad night just got worse.

UNC-CH, on the other hand, just got handed some much needed extra prep/rest time for their home game against Pitt on Saturday. They clearly benefit more from this rescheduling than we do.

Troublemaker
02-12-2014, 07:04 PM
as someone pointed out...it's almost like playing 2 games in 3 days in the tournament!

It's that road trip to GaTech preceding the UNC & Cuse games that makes it really rough, though. 3 in 5 is much different than 2 in 3.

With that said, I'm down with the "it's an opportunity!" & "challenge accepted!" attitude.

Also, what's worse to deal with? 3 games in 5 days? Or the broken feet of Kyrie Irving and Ryan Kelly?

As long as our guys remain healthy, I'll be pretty serene about whatever is thrown at us this season.

MartyClark
02-12-2014, 07:05 PM

I agree. I also think K and staff will really make this an opportunity for the team rather than viewing it as a problem. Duke is deep. Let's roll.

1 24 90
02-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Did VCU win 3 games in 5 days to start their final four run in 2011? If they can do it, so can Duke.

JasonEvans
02-12-2014, 07:07 PM

Duke and UNC's schedules will both be impacted and the two teams will be quite busy.

Date Duke UNC
Feb 15 vs MD vs Pitt
Feb 16 Off Off
Feb 17 Off @ FSU
Feb 18 @ GaT Off
Feb 19 Off Off
Feb 20 @ UNC vs Duke
Feb 21 Off Off
Feb 22 vs Syr vs Wake

4 games in 8 days for both teams. It will be a test, but (as others have noted) should be excellent prep for the intensity of a deep NCAA tourney run.

-Jason "for Jabari and Hood, this is a good simulation of what the NBA can be like. If they don't like it, maybe they will stick around ;) " Evans

DBFAN
02-12-2014, 07:07 PM
This is confusing? Do you mean for the game on the 20th or for Maryland this Saturday?

My bad was just referring we get 6 days of rest this week before Maryland. Instead of the 2-3 if we had ayes tonight

Troublemaker
02-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Maybe this is were we test Short bench vs Deep bench arguments

I'm sure Duke will play deeper. I'm not sure how short bench vs deep bench will get tested, though.

It's not like Duke will play it out with a deep bench, climb into a time machine & go backwards 5 days, and then play it out again with a short bench.

DBFAN
02-12-2014, 07:10 PM
I know the schedule stinks now, but UNC has a 4 games in 8 days as well. And if course they will blame their entire season on Duke not willing to risk peoples lives over a game. Because UNC was starting to play well, and Duke screwed up everything. They always need an excuse, so Just let them do all the Whining, it's what they are good at

Furniture
02-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Now looking forward to a good Pitt vs.Cuse game....
What can you do?

Reilly
02-12-2014, 07:17 PM
... How does this impact ol' roy? ...

Roy's OK right now -- they told him it was an @FSU situation (outcome determined) so he and the team -- even Blue Steel -- didn't have to post tonight. When he finds out he actually does have to show up for his whipping, then the tears will flow.

BD80
02-12-2014, 07:20 PM

And K was smart enough NOT to load up the team onto a bus early so they could waste the evening/night trying to get back and forth from chapel hill.

uh_no
02-12-2014, 07:23 PM
And K was smart enough NOT to load up the team onto a bus early so they could waste the evening/night trying to get back and forth from chapel hill.

if they were at the stadium, they would have played the game.

Wildling
02-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Duke will be exhausted by the time the Cuse rolls into town next Saturday. I was really hoping for a Duke win against them. 3 games crammed in one week before they play them...........not good.

NSDukeFan
02-12-2014, 07:35 PM
I'm sure Duke will play deeper. I'm not sure how short bench vs deep bench will get tested, though.

It's not like Duke will play it out with a deep bench, climb into a time machine & go backwards 5 days, and then play it out again with a short bench.

As CameronBorn&Bred said hell froze over, so maybe they will also be able to use a time machine.

Duvall
02-12-2014, 07:37 PM
if they were at the stadium, they would have played the game.

And then stayed the night?

NashvilleDevil
02-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Duke will be exhausted by the time the Cuse rolls into town next Saturday. I was really hoping for a Duke win against them. 3 games crammed in one week before they play them...........not good.

Why? K will have them ready.

blUDAYvil
02-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Duke and UNC's schedules will both be impacted and the two teams will be quite busy.

Date Duke UNC
Feb 15 vs MD vs Pitt
Feb 16 Off Off
Feb 17 Off @ FSU
Feb 18 @ GaT Off
Feb 19 Off Off
Feb 20 @ UNC vs Duke
Feb 21 Off Off
Feb 22 vs Syr vs Wake

4 games in 8 days for both teams. It will be a test, but (as others have noted) should be excellent prep for the intensity of a deep NCAA tourney run.

-Jason "for Jabair and Hood, this is a good simulation of what the NBA can be like. If they don't like it, maybe they will stick around ;) " Evans

I think it's worth noting that Syracuse would have played BC at home on Weds. (2/19) before they play us on Saturday (2/22) followed by @ Maryland on Monday (2/24). 3 games in 6 days for the Cuse.

Cameron
02-12-2014, 07:54 PM

Agreed. The first thing I did upon discovering tonight's game was postponed was check the schedules of each team moving forward. Next Thursday presented the most ideal time for a make-up in terms of openings in the schedule for both Duke and North Carolina wherein back-to-back games would not be an issue as well as in the availability of the Dean E. Smith Center (no UNC women's game). The nightmare of such a scenario, of course, is a fully rested Syracuse waiting on that Saturday.

Duke will have played three games in five days heading into the encounter with Syracuse. The Orange, meanwhile, will have played just once that week (on Wednesday, Feb. 19) and have two full days to rest before traveling to Durham. Factoring in the emotion that goes into the Carolina game, I think this is a worst-case scenario as far as a make-up date is concerned.

It'll be a great early prep for the ACC Tournament, if we're searching for a silver lining here.

Wildling
02-12-2014, 07:57 PM
Why? K will have them ready.

I already stated why. 3 games in 6 days. A day of rest then they play Syracuse.

The first 2 games I think they will be fine. After that, dead legs will be an issue.

Reilly
02-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Think the players from Glenwood Elementary wore their uniforms inside-out last night, hoping for this postponement?

OldPhiKap
02-12-2014, 08:01 PM

The first 2 games I think they will be fine. After that, dead legs will be an issue.

If we are lucky, the ACC tourney is three games in three days. NCAA can be two games in less than 48 hours. Let's start getting ready, schedule compression is part of the championship drive.

NYBri
02-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Fortunately, we have a deep bench, and K has used it this year. Look for the line change to come back v. MD and GA TECH.

Cameron
02-12-2014, 08:14 PM

Actually it is 3 games in 5 days and 4 in 8. Even in the NCAA Tournament there are never more than two games in a span of six days. Next week will be brutal, without question.

As others have said, however, hopefully this turn of events will ultimately help better prepare our squad for the extreme mental and physical toughness required to survive the post-season as the only team in the country still standing in April.

As a fan, I am stoked for next week. It's going to feel almost like an early-season tournament with as many games as we will be playing in such a short duration of time. So that aspect definitely appeals to me.

devildeac
02-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Fixed it for you.

Didn't realize you could change my sig. Thanks for the correction. Did I call it or what;)?

uh_no
Actually it is 3 games in 5 days and 4 in 8. Even in the NCAA Tournament there are never more than two games in a span of six days. Next week will be brutal, without question.

As others have said, however, hopefully this turn of events will ultimately help better prepare our squad for the extreme mental and physical toughness required to survive the post-season as the only team in the country still standing in April.

As a fan, I am stoked for next week. It's going to feel almost like an early-season tournament with as many games as we will be playing in such a short duration of time. So that aspect definitely appeals to me.

well, there's always the possibility we get stuck in the play in game :)

roywhite
If we are lucky, the ACC tourney is three games in three days. NCAA can be two games in less than 48 hours. Let's start getting ready, schedule compression is part of the championship drive.

Yeah, and there is an end in sight, sort of, as far as the regular season schedule goes. After the Syracuse game on Saturday, Feb. 22, comes a Tuesday 2/25 home game vs cellar dweller VaTech, and then no game until the following Weds. March 5 at Wake Forest. Push through, guys, you will catch a breather.

Wildling
02-12-2014, 08:19 PM
Fortunately, we have a deep bench, and K has used it this year. Look for the line change to come back v. MD and GA TECH.

Man I hope so!

Newton_14
02-12-2014, 08:19 PM

Rest is not the biggest issue for me. They can overcome the tired part. The two bigger issues for me are 1. Playing a huge game right after all the emotion that goes into Duke/UNC made worse by the fact that two key players (Jabari/Rodney) are playing in their very first Duke/UNC game and have no idea what they are in for. Every past player from both sides has maintained that nothing prepares them for it, you have to experience it to understand. 2. Needing that extra day of practice to prepare for the Syracuse Zone. Now, K can overcome that by practicing for Syracuse prior to the Maryland and UNC games but would have been better to do that in the days leading up to Syracuse.

That said I still fully believe Duke can win both games. (and all 4 in that stretch). The atmosphere in Cameron will be electric for Syracuse and that will help fuel the adrenaline of the players. That and the fact that Duke can go 11 deep if needed, should help offset a lot of the tired factor.

Tough but doable.

JamminJoe
02-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Was really looking forward to this game all week. The only positive I see, as someone living in Maryland, is that Duke will be fully ready for the last regular season game ever with UMD. I don't want to lose that one.

Wildling
02-12-2014, 08:23 PM

Jeez, it's even worse than I thought! :p

I do agree with you though, as a fan, next week is going to be a lot of fun! And a lot of potential heart attacks by weeks end :eek:

luvdahops
02-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Rest is not the biggest issue for me. They can overcome the tired part. The two bigger issues for me are 1. Playing a huge game right after all the emotion that goes into Duke/UNC made worse by the fact that two key players (Jabari/Rodney) are playing in their very first Duke/UNC game and have no idea what they are in for. Every past player from both sides has maintained that nothing prepares them for it, you have to experience it to understand. 2. Needing that extra day of practice to prepare for the Syracuse Zone. Now, K can overcome that by practicing for Syracuse prior to the Maryland and UNC games but would have been better to do that in the days leading up to Syracuse.

That said I still fully believe Duke can win both games. (and all 4 in that stretch). The atmosphere in Cameron will be electric for Syracuse and that will help fuel the adrenaline of the players. That and the fact that Duke can go 11 deep if needed, should help offset a lot of the tired factor.

Tough but doable.

Keep in mind that K and staff have already prepared the team to play UNC. They will obviously want to refresh before next Thursday, but it is not like they will be starting from scratch after GT. So I think it is reasonable to expect some time to be spent preparing for Cuse earlier in the week.

The emotional part may be tougher, though I agree that the crowd and our depth should work in Duke's favor.

BD80
02-12-2014, 08:41 PM

You can get 4 games in a stretch of nine days in the tourney.

MartyClark
02-12-2014, 08:41 PM

Those of you who have actually played basketball at a high level, are dead legs an issue? I think not but I've not been in this position.I think these young athletes are physically resilient.

moonpie23
02-12-2014, 08:47 PM
i am sick of the "K didn't want to play in the charged up unc arena" crap already…….:mad:

dukelifer
02-12-2014, 08:53 PM
Those of you who have actually played basketball at a high level, are dead legs an issue? I think not but I've not been in this position.I think these young athletes are physically resilient.

Yes but not mentally. That is the issue. Focus is at risk playing high energy games back to back. Fine in the final four- not so good when you have a lot of basketball left to play.

Newton_14
02-12-2014, 08:57 PM
Moonpie- Follow the Newton_14 method and don't read it. I have not read a single sentence on that and don't plan to. Heard it reported on local news but have not and will not search it out to read it. Let them think what they want to think. Who cares? These are the same people that think K faked a back injury to leave a 9-3 team ranked 10th in the country so that tells you all you need to know about their character and level of intellect right there buddy.

burnspbesq
02-12-2014, 09:21 PM
Is there a better game than Stanford - UDub to watch?

Cameron
02-12-2014, 09:31 PM
Is there a better game than Stanford - UDub to watch?

New Mexico at Boise State on CBS Sports Network (channel 158 for Dish). Boise's Anthony Drmic and Derrick Marks are pretty fun to watch when the duo gets going. In conjunction with methadone, it might provide close enough a finish to stave off Duke-Carolina withdrawals.

Troublemaker
02-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Moonpie- Follow the Newton_14 method and don't read it. I have not read a single sentence on that and don't plan to. Heard it reported on local news but have not and will not search it out to read it. Let them think what they want to think.

I've been reading it and REVELING in their lunacy, anger, and dashed hopes of a Cameron-like atmosphere. That's another option, too, imo. I thought the only good to come out of this postponement would be safety, but I had no idea how much entertainment these IC lunatics would provide. I mean, I'd rather be watching Duke play UNC right now, but this... this ain't too shabby.

FerryFor50
02-12-2014, 09:39 PM
I've been reading it and REVELING in their lunacy, anger, and dashed hopes of a Cameron-like atmosphere. That's another option, too, imo. I thought the only good to come out of this postponement would be safety, but I had no idea how much entertainment these IC lunatics would provide. I mean, I'd rather be watching Duke play UNC right now, but this... this ain't too shabby.

I toyed with the idea of buying cheap tickets on stub hub with hopes that the game would get postponed. But I am not a gambling man...

I've been amazed at the amount of smack talk coming from an unranked team's fans, while the ranked team's fans stay mostly quiet and wait to see the teams play. Must need a distraction from the impending doom from the Willingham stuff...

moonpie23
02-12-2014, 09:40 PM
the impending doom from the Willingham stuff...

of what myth are you referring to?

Henderson
02-12-2014, 09:46 PM

I agree that the emotional energy expended in the Carolina game right before the Syracuse game is an issue, but that IS a rest issue. I don't worry about game prep for Syracuse. We've already played them once, and recently. Prepping for the Syracuse zone doesn't strike me as a real problem.

Fatigue, both physical and emotional, is the risk for Duke in this rescheduling.

jv001
02-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Moonpie- Follow the Newton_14 method and don't read it. I have not read a single sentence on that and don't plan to. Heard it reported on local news but have not and will not search it out to read it. Let them thiHe nk what they want to think. Who cares? These are the same people that think K faked a back injury to leave a 9-3 team ranked 10th in the country so that tells you all you need to know about their character and level of intellect right there buddy.

I was watching the weather/road conditions on Fox News tonight and they had Ty Simmons who's the father of the Simmons kid that plays for the tarheels on the telephone. They tried to get him to complain about the game being postponed, but he wouldn't bite. Instead he told them how hard it was for him to get his son to Chapel Hill and his son had to get out and walk part of the way. He said that he was supposed to go back home and pick up some friends that were coming to the game tonight. He told the news guys that he didn't see anyway he would have been able to get back to the game. We just need to realize that common sense prevailed in this game being postponed. We'll get em on Thursday. GoDuke!

bedeviled
02-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Must need a distraction from the impending doom from the Willingham stuff...By "distraction," did you mean "confirmation?"

Classes already cancelled, but basketball must go on. Priorities!
Hundreds of thousands already without power as the storm heads our way, but basketball must go on. Priorities!
Motorists stranding their cars along the road, but basketball must go on. Priorities!
The Governor declares a state of emergency, but basketball must go on. Priorities!

I think UNC missed an opportunity to take a stand. Could they not have told the ACC that safety truly was their number one priority and that they would not risk the well-being of staff to get to and from the game? Instead, they planned on continuing the sport at all costs until they hit a logistical barrier, at which point safety became their purported primary priority. If it's not safe to come to/from classes, why is it safe to come to/from the game?