PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke at UNC postponed to 2/20

Pages : 1 [2]

chrishoke
02-12-2014, 08:55 PM
I am going to be just as scared of them next Thursday.:D

Henderson
02-12-2014, 08:57 PM
I was watching the weather/road conditions on Fox News tonight and they had Ty Simmons who's the father of the Simmons kid that plays for the tarheels on the telephone.

WHAT?!! They let their athletes take bogus classes that never meet, and now they have players who just play basketball on the telephone? Lordy Lordy.

chaosmage
02-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Imagine my surprise to find out the game had been postponed. I'd been watching everyone's pictures all day on FB, but I didn't realize it was that bad. This particular thread, however, takes the cake.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=12683094

This has to be a troll thread. I mean... really? The anonymity of the Internet brings out the absolute worst in people.

Ironically, there is a competing thread about why it should have been cancelled, and it's much longer.

rthomas
02-12-2014, 09:41 PM
I plan to wear the same Duke blue underwear that I am wearing today until we play Carolina. Not changing.

Henderson
02-12-2014, 09:56 PM
I plan to wear the same Duke blue underwear that I am wearing today until we play Carolina. Not changing.

And the whole planet prays for good weather on 2/20.

CameronBlue
02-12-2014, 10:07 PM

You weren't Speedo Guy were you?

FerryFor50
02-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Imagine my surprise to find out the game had been postponed. I'd been watching everyone's pictures all day on FB, but I didn't realize it was that bad. This particular thread, however, takes the cake.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=12683094

This has to be a troll thread. I mean... really? The anonymity of the Internet brings out the absolute worst in people.

Ironically, there is a competing thread about why it should have been cancelled, and it's much longer.

Looks like the Holes started celebrating a little too early...

SoCalDukeFan
02-12-2014, 10:54 PM
My wedding anniversary.

Dinner reservations are made.

Hoping for an early game. 7 PM in NC is 4 pm in SoCal so no problem.

SoCal

Bay Area Duke Fan
02-13-2014, 12:10 AM
My wedding anniversary.

SoCal

Go out for lunch instead.

porkpa
02-13-2014, 06:59 AM
So does
(1) The game rescheduled for Thursday against UNC get slightly off our radar because of Saturday's upcoming game against Cuse?
or
(2) Thursday's game against UNC draw some of the focus from Saturday's game?
or
(3) None of the above?

MChambers
02-13-2014, 07:11 AM
So does
(1) The game rescheduled for Thursday against UNC get slightly off our radar because of Saturday's upcoming game against Cuse?
or
(2) Thursday's game against UNC draw some of the focus from Saturday's game?
or
(3) None of the above?

Definitely 3. This is a great opportunity to show how good Duke is.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-13-2014, 07:20 AM
I was a bit surprised K did not alter their schedule yesterday such that they travelled there early this morning and stayed in a hotel there tonight, but on the other hand I can understand not wanting to change the normal schedule, especially for a unc game.

Yes, very poor planning IMO. I am not usually critical of program decisions like this, but I think that contingency plans could have been in place and exercised. Couldn't the team have easily beat the storm to CH midday Wednesday and come back this morning?

Duvall
02-13-2014, 07:26 AM
Yes, very poor planning IMO. I am not usually critical of program decisions like this, but I think that contingency plans could have been in place and exercised. Couldn't the team have easily beat the storm to CH midday Wednesday and come back this morning?

Maybe, as long as they planned on spending twenty or so hours in the visitors' locker room. Anything else would have been difficult at best.

Newton_14
02-13-2014, 07:56 AM
Maybe, as long as they planned on spending twenty or so hours in the visitors' locker room. Anything else would have been difficult at best.
I think that is key, to be honest. Going from memory I don't think there is a hotel that is close enough to the Dean Dome to walk to. Getting the kids out of the Dome and to their hotel would have been very problematic.

Watching the news this morning with 100's of vehicles abandoned on the major roads around the Triangle is bizarre. Very similar to 1/20/05, which was the day after a 1 inch snow in low 20's weather caused gridlock on most roads. My daughter was born on the 19th which was the day of the storm. i had to drive home the morning of the 20th to attend a funeral and there were vehicles abandoned everywhere in Raleigh. Same thing today. Surreal.

devildeac
02-13-2014, 08:26 AM
I think that is key, to be honest. Going from memory I don't think there is a hotel that is close enough to the Dean Dome to walk to. Getting the kids out of the Dome and to their hotel would have been very problematic.

Watching the news this morning with 100's of vehicles abandoned on the major roads around the Triangle is bizarre. Very similar to 1/20/05, which was the day after a 1 inch snow in low 20's weather caused gridlock on most roads. My daughter was born on the 19th which was the day of the storm. i had to drive home the morning of the 20th to attend a funeral and there were vehicles abandoned everywhere in Raleigh. Same thing today. Surreal.

Here's a list of hotels "near" the Smith Center:

http://www.hotels-rates.com/hotels/locations/Chapel_Hill/NC/usa/5375/

I think getting the team there would have been possible only if they had left Duke before about 1PM as I stated somewhere up thread (after all, I am always ahead with my radio feed during chat so that was an easy call for me to say the game would not be played:o). After that is when gridlock in multiple locations throughout the Triangle began. Then you have to deal with multiple contingencies of luggage, lodging availability, getting to/from the game, pre-game routines and meal availability being the main ones. I think the right call was made but it makes our schedule more difficult now with 3 in 6 or 4 in 8 looking forward. And, IIRC, Mark, the 1/20/05 storm was almost all ice (3/4-1") and that, along with everyone leaving work/school at about the same time that afternoon were what caused the gridlock and made driving very, very hazardous.

dukelifer
02-13-2014, 08:26 AM

In the end folks this is just a basketball game. A lot of people were badly hurt in accidents yesterday. Duke's ER was slammed. If the Duke bus had been in a crash - going or coming back- everyone would have criticized the decision. If Jabari Parker slipped walking two miles to the hotel at midnight and tore a knee- everyone would have criticized. If a UNC fan died trying to get back home- everyone would have criticized. It is also Coach K's bday today. Having lost a brother, I am sure family is first and foremost in K's mind. In the grand scheme, this was a good decision not to put folks at risk.

BD80
02-13-2014, 08:35 AM
... this is just a basketball game. ...

I feel like a tar heel basketball player tackling a fourth grade reading book.

I see the words, but they just aren't making any sense to me

moonpie23
02-13-2014, 08:48 AM
it's just unfortunate……for us as fans, it's just aggravating…..for the team and staff, it's MORE aggravating…….now, the schedule is whack.. :(

royalblue
02-13-2014, 08:49 AM
If unc-ch can have years of no show classes Duke can have at least 1 no show game when they have won 7 out of the last 9. If I was K I would not want to spend any of my birthday at the hill either

peterjswift
02-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Shoot - I totally could have solved this. I'm sitting in a warehouse full of crampons, snowshoes, snow shovels, avalanche gear, traction aids, ice screws, ice tools/axes, gloves, handwarmers...everything they could have possibly needed!

I should have sent K a shipment a day earlier when I saw the forecast down there. A little 8-mile warmup in the cold would have been great for the team!

Oh well - this will be great training for deep in the NCAAs.

FerryFor50
02-13-2014, 09:01 AM
Here's a list of hotels "near" the Smith Center:

http://www.hotels-rates.com/hotels/locations/Chapel_Hill/NC/usa/5375/

I think getting the team there would have been possible only if they had left Duke before about 1PM as I stated somewhere up thread (after all, I am always ahead with my radio feed during chat so that was an easy call for me to say the game would not be played:o). After that is when gridlock in multiple locations throughout the Triangle began. Then you have to deal with multiple contingencies of luggage, lodging availability, getting to/from the game, pre-game routines and meal availability being the main ones. I think the right call was made but it makes our schedule more difficult now with 3 in 6 or 4 in 8 looking forward. And, IIRC, Mark, the 1/20/05 storm was almost all ice (3/4-1") and that, along with everyone leaving work/school at about the same time that afternoon were what caused the gridlock and made driving very, very hazardous.

I left work at 1:30 yesterday. My normal commute is 20 min. I got home at 5pm.

Not only is it arduous for the team, but also for the fans. Definitely not worth it. Especial driving BACK home from the game in the dark.

If it was too dangerous for class, it was to dangerous for basketball.

JasonEvans
02-13-2014, 09:29 AM
Someone up thread mentioned that sandwiching the UNC game in 2-days before Syracuse hurts us because it cuts into our ability to prepare for the Orange. While there is certainly some truth to that, we should recall that we already played Syracuse once and have a good sense of what goes into attacking their zone and defending their offense. If we were playing them for the first time, it would be a very serious issue. But, I think a rematch game (with anyone) is the ideal thing to have right after the Carolina makeup.

-Jason "Carolina also has a rematch game on Saturday... against Wake" Evans

freshmanjs
02-13-2014, 09:50 AM
Someone up thread mentioned that sandwiching the UNC game in 2-days before Syracuse hurts us because it cuts into our ability to prepare for the Orange. While there is certainly some truth to that, we should recall that we already played Syracuse once and have a good sense of what goes into attacking their zone and defending their offense. If we were playing them for the first time, it would be a very serious issue. But, I think a rematch game (with anyone) is the ideal thing to have right after the Carolina makeup.

-Jason "Carolina also has a rematch game on Saturday... against Wake" Evans

it's not the prep that concerns me. it's the mental and physical energy required to play 3 games in 5 days including 2 of the biggest games on the schedule.

flyingdutchdevil
02-13-2014, 09:54 AM
it's not the prep that concerns me. it's the mental and physical energy required to play 3 games in 5 days including 2 of the biggest games on the schedule.

I like it. Great tournament practice. And for half the players on the team, great NBA practice. And for the coaches on the team, great challenge. And for the fans, great viewership.

Essentially, great for everyone! If we drop a game, so be it. This team is still growing and hopefully peaks during the ACC Tournament.

mgtr
02-13-2014, 10:03 AM
I seem to recall that several years ago, UConn had to play (and win) 5 games in 5 days in the Big East tournament. Are our guys physically and mentally inferior to that team? I think not. And, as another poster noted, once we get past those 3 games in 5 days, we can sort of coast for a while.

JasonEvans
02-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Essentially, great for everyone! If we drop a game, so be it. This team is still growing and hopefully peaks three weeks after the ACC Tournament.

Fixed it for you.

CameronBornAndBred
02-13-2014, 10:39 AM
I was just reading Luke DeCock's blog as he outlined the situation leading up to the game. It gives a better insight to those of us who were not in the triangle last night.

So here we are, less than seven hours before game time, and there’s almost no way to get to the Smith Center that isn’t a bumper-bending, snow-sodden parking lot. Accidents, abandoned cars, slippery hills -- it’s dangerous out there. So dangerous, that it’s time to postpone tonight’s game before anyone gets hurt because of it.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/02/12/3615785/decock-cooler-warmer-heads-must.html

jacone21
02-13-2014, 10:40 AM
The answer, of course... tanks. It would have been great to see Duke roll up to the hump in about a dozen BFVs. Maybe Coach K could have been in the first tank with his head sticking out the top like Dukakis in '88.

Henderson
02-13-2014, 10:52 AM
I was just reading Luke DeCock's blog as he outlined the situation leading up to the game. It gives a better insight to those of us who were not in the triangle last night.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/02/12/3615785/decock-cooler-warmer-heads-must.html

Ah, Luke DeCock. Maybe God is now "in the dog house."

But he's right: There are more important things than a Duke whooping of Kerliner at the Dean Dump. We can wait.

cato
02-13-2014, 11:01 AM

The Duke MBB program is not known for poor planning. So, if it were so easy to pull together, the reason must be something other than poor planning, no?

Maybe the staff decided that, if they couldn't stick to the regular routine, they wouldn't go. Or they considered how absurd it would be to put so many other people at risk just to play a game.

Imagine if a single person were injured (or worse) travelling to or from the game. Thankfully, that is a counterfactual universe we don't have to worry about. Instead of real consequences, we can get all angsty about the potential impact on numbers in a column.

devildeac
02-13-2014, 11:06 AM

Ah, Luke DeCock. Maybe God is now "in the dog house."

But he's right: There are more important things than a Duke whooping of Kerliner at the Dean Dump. We can wait.

Yep, sure would have been nice if K had paid off God/Mother Nature along with all the other folks he has been accused of having in his pocket/on the payroll for the last few decades (kidding, folks, kidding).

I actually kinda like the tank idea...

:rolleyes:

arnie
02-13-2014, 11:14 AM
Yep, sure would have been nice if K had paid off God/Mother Nature along with all the other folks he has been accused of having in his pocket/on the payroll for the last few decades (kidding, folks, kidding).

I actually kinda like the tank idea...

:rolleyes:

Local sports radio media rolled out the idea that K didn't want to play the game with students surrounding the court. Note I said radio personalities, not callers. The Duke Hate locally rolls on.

JasonEvans
02-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Not sure if anyone has pointed this out but how sad and pathetic is it that Carolina is all up in arms because they say Duke avoided playing them when they would have a truly excited, energetic crowd. It is a tacit admission by them that their usual crowd sucks and does little to help the team.

Put the shoe on the other foot. No one at Duke cares whether the game is delayed or if the makeup of the crowd is somehow altered due to weather. Our usual crowd is among the greatest in all of sports. Carolina's usual crowd is the butt of Sam Cassell jokes.

Hey UNC, maybe this is a sign that you should alter the seating rules in that giant, cavernous, snooze-fest you call a home.

So, I was looking around for some details on the student seating sections in the Doze Dome and I came across the following line on the Smith Center Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Smith_Center#Seating_issues) page:

"The Tar Heels have one of the most formidable home-court advantages in the country, rarely losing more than three home games in a season."

Bwahahahahahaha! Really?!?! Really??!?! Three home losses a season makes you a formidable??!?

In the past 18 years, Duke has lost 3 or more games in Cameron exactly twice. We have a grand total of 3 home losses in the past 5 seasons! Only 5 total losses in the past 7 seasons! In 18 of the past 26 years, Duke has lost 0 or 1 home games.

-Jason "Carolina's home court makes me laugh!" Evans

rsvman
02-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Lotta whining about too many games in too few days.

In addition to the example of UConn, cited above, I seem to recall that a few years ago, when a violent storm damaged an arena in Atlanta, the University of Georgia actually had to play two SEC tournament game in the same day! They not only survived, they won both games, and played their way into the NCAA tournament.

We will be fine, and it will be good preparation for more important games to come.

Furniture
02-13-2014, 11:56 AM
These weather related cancel or not decisions are a no win situation either way. There are many reasons why but the worse would be just for one UNC worker, fan or Duke fan getting into an accident on their way home and the arguments would be very different.
Tough decisions and nobody is happy either way.

Native
02-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Not sure if anyone has pointed this out but how sad and pathetic is it that Carolina is all up in arms because they say Duke avoided playing them when they would have a truly excited, energetic crowd. It is a tacit admission by them that their usual crowd sucks and does little to help the team.

Put the shoe on the other foot. No one at Duke cares whether the game is delayed or if the makeup of the crowd is somehow altered due to weather. Our usual crowd is among the greatest in all of sports. Carolina's usual crowd is the butt of Sam Cassell jokes.

Hey UNC, maybe this is a sign that you should alter the seating rules in that giant, cavernous, snooze-fest you call a home.

So, I was looking around for some details on the student seating sections in the Doze Dome and I came across the following line on the Smith Center Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Smith_Center#Seating_issues) page:

Bwahahahahahaha! Really?!?! Really??!?! Three home losses a season makes you a formidable??!?

In the past 18 years, Duke has lost 3 or more games in Cameron exactly twice. We have a grand total of 3 home losses in the past 5 seasons! Only 5 total losses in the past 7 seasons! In 18 of the past 26 years, Duke has lost 0 or 1 home games.

-Jason "Carolina's home court makes me laugh!" Evans

This. This, this, this.

I have never seen Carolina fans act more like State fans than now.

FerryFor50
02-13-2014, 12:43 PM
This. This, this, this.

I have never seen Carolina fans act more like State fans than now.

Maybe Carolina is the new Maryland, not Pitt...

DukieInKansas
02-13-2014, 12:44 PM
A few years ago, there was a terrible result of travel in a snow storm for a member of the Duke family. I kept thinking about that yesterday as the discussion was flowing on whether there would or wouldn't be a game. As I said upthread - the right decision was made. The unc folks can complain all they want about Duke being wimps for not going. I just hope that all those that might have been on the road to get to the game made it safely home.

I'm sure the coaching staff will make the best use of the next two weeks to prepare for the next games and into the tournament. I hope we beat unc like a drum at the Dome and again at Cameron and a third time in the ACC tournment. Let's Go, Duke.

9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Sometimes it takes somebody like a humble bus driver to bring a discussion back to what's important: safety.

Considering the quickly developing hazardous weather conditions in Chapel Hill, the widespread complaints about the decision being delayed until fans were already on their way to the game ring hollow. The governor had already said to stay home. People trying to get home from work spent hours doing so. The campus and City of Chapel Hill were in gridlock early in the day.... in less than an hour after the storm arrived.

As a retired school administrator who had to deal with many no win situations and decisions related to the safety of students, personnel and others, I think the absence of a significant focus on safety on the part of the UNC administrators is appalling. It is disappointing that AD's announcement to cancel the game last night was stated in terms that made it appear that Duke alone made the decision based on not being able to get a bus to campus to pick up the team. The announcement should have been made as a joint decision based on a concern for the safety of all involved.

UrinalCake
02-13-2014, 01:09 PM
A couple years ago Maryland had a game cancelled due to blizzards up there; they wound up needing to play three games in five days, similar to our situation. Their team responded well, refusing to use it as an excuse.

By contrast, I recall that NC State played a Thursday-Saturday-Tuesday stretch in 2012. The first game was against us in Cameron, where they got that big lead and then we came back. Part of me thinks they let up thinking about the games they had coming up. So we'll need to make sure to not do that; take one game at a time and get as much rest as we can in between.

diablesseblu
02-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Sometimes it takes somebody like a humble bus driver to bring a discussion back to what's important: safety.

Considering the quickly developing hazardous weather conditions in Chapel Hill, the widespread complaints about the decision being delayed until fans were already on their way to the game ring hollow. The governor had already said to stay home. People trying to get home from work spent hours doing so. The campus and City of Chapel Hill were in gridlock early in the day.... in less than an hour after the storm arrived.

As a retired school administrator who had to deal with many no win situations and decisions related to the safety of students, personnel and others, I think the absence of a significant focus on safety on the part of the UNC administrators is appalling. It is disappointing that AD's announcement to cancel the game last night was stated in terms that made it appear that Duke alone made the decision based on not being able to get a bus to campus to pick up the team. The announcement should have been made as a joint decision based on a concern for the safety of all involved.

Exactly! What eroding reservoir of respect i have had for Mr. Cunningham was severely eroded by the way he handled this. When you compare his statement to the one issued regarding the BC-GTech cancellation, it's clear why UNC's athletics department continues to stumble. Its mantra appears to be "deflect, distract, deny, disregard others".

BD80
02-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Exactly! What eroding reservoir of respect i have had for Mr. Cunningham was severely eroded by the way he handled this. When you compare his statement to the one issued regarding the BC-GTech cancellation, it's clear why UNC's athletics department continues to stumble. Its mantra appears to be "deflect, distract, deny, disregard others".

And then: "Dodge, duck, dip, dive, dodge"

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-13-2014, 01:37 PM

Correctamundo! Even worse is the fact that if what he inferred was true (that it was a Duke decision alone) it's a sad commentary on the value system of the UNC athletic department that they didn't come to a unanimous decision regarding the safety and welfare of everybody involved, including their own fan base. This turkey hasn't got a clue, bless his bubbafied heart.
Love, Ima

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-13-2014, 01:41 PM
Correctamundo! Even worse is the fact that if what he inferred was true (that it was a Duke decision alone) it's a sad commentary on the value system of the UNC athletic department that they didn't come to a unanimous decision regarding the safety and welfare of everybody involved, including their own fan base. This turkey hasn't got a clue, bless his bubbafied heart.
Love, Ima

The governor did say not to put on your stupid hat, but Bubba did anyway.

Bluedog
02-13-2014, 02:43 PM
My wedding anniversary.

SoCal

The game is at 9 pm according to Coach K as stated on his weekly radio show on Sirius XM College Sports Nation:
http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2014/02/13/mike-krzyzewski-reacts-duke-unc-postponement

Kfanarmy
02-13-2014, 02:52 PM
While I am glad they postponed the game so that no one was put at risk, the week-long break between Duke games may give me withdrawal symptoms. Among the many effects of the snow storm, though admittedly a small one, is disappointment in not seeing Duke lace em up yesterday. Hope the players got to enjoy some down time!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-13-2014, 04:02 PM
Apparently, Duke is on the cutting edge regarding decisions about safety vs. playing Division I sporting events. More cancellations and postponements taking place today. http://www.wralsportsfan.com/winter-storm-postpones-games-in-northeast/13390500/

ancienteagle
02-13-2014, 04:17 PM
The governor did say not to put on your stupid hat, but Bubba did anyway.

I think that there were many stupid hats put on last night besides Bubba's, and they were all Carolina blue.

Newton_14
02-13-2014, 05:26 PM

Here is one photo that should give some perspective. This was Glenwood Avenue/HWY 70 yesterday afternoon. Minus the fire there are 100's of other similar photo's from other Triangle Area roads.

Henderson
02-13-2014, 05:32 PM
The real anger from Chapel Hill stems from the fact that the call was made late: "But... but... but... we were already drunk."

Well, guess what fellas, that's not a special occasion for y'all. We read IC too.

SoCalDukeFan
02-13-2014, 05:54 PM
After a nice round of golf in shorts and my new Duke golf shirt (SPF 40 and it was sunny) I got on the Internet yesterday and read some tweets that the game should be postponed. It got kind of late, then it was postponed. Every responsible person seemed to think that the game should have been postponed.

The problem was not postponing it earlier. When you tell your alums not to come because its too dangerous, then call the game. The fact that Bubba is irresponsible should not be a reflection on Duke or Coach K. If the situation were reversed then I would hope that Kevin White would have called the game much earlier.

I am glad the game got called. I have friends who actually flew to Raleigh Durham on a red eye Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. I was very happy when I heard that they were safe and sound.

I can understand that some unc-ch fans were disturbed when the game was called so late. However they should blame Bubba not Duke. Clearly K could have gotten the team to CH earlier and I guess they could have found hotel rooms. But what about everyone else who would have had to travel at midnight? For that matter, what about the whine and cheese crowd who could not get to the Duke game, which is probably one of the main reasons many bought season tickets.

SoCal

WakeDevil
02-13-2014, 05:58 PM
So some of you think safety should have been an issue when the players would be traveling on a bus going well below the speed limit and taking an unacceptably long time to get there? Child, please.

Just say you didn't think the bus would get there on time, but don't hand me the "It's for the children" line.

SoCalDukeFan
02-13-2014, 06:14 PM
So some of you think safety should have been an issue when the players would be traveling on a bus going well below the speed limit and taking an unacceptably long time to get there? Child, please.

Just say you didn't think the bus would get there on time, but don't hand me the "It's for the children" line.

There are others whose job (refs, news people, tv etc. ) who had to get there. Plus there were probably plenty of fans who would have tried.

And when the game was over they would then have a midnight trip to get home.

When UNC advised their fans not to come to the game because it was too dangerous, then it was too dangerous to hold the game, in my opinion.

And certainly there are plenty that made it. However there are also plenty of people who ride with a drunk driver and make it but its still too dangerous for me.

SoCal

devildeac
02-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Here is one photo that should give some perspective. This was Glenwood Avenue/HWY 70 yesterday afternoon. Minus the fire there are 100's of other similar photo's from other Triangle Area roads.

This was the photo just prior to the one you posted:

arnie
02-13-2014, 06:17 PM

Wow- how politically incorrect! I actually agree with you, but I've already been pegged as disliking puppies and Christmas.

Henderson
02-13-2014, 06:23 PM
This was the photo just prior to the one you posted:

Both of those photos look like any street in College Park after a Maryland game.

dukelifer
02-13-2014, 06:44 PM

Yes- I am sure the entire road would have opened up. No stalled vehicles in the path - no risk of someone driving too fast and hitting a bus going slow and steady or vice versa.

Most of the accidents yesterday happened early when folks thought they could drive fast and hit a patch of ice. The risk was greater than usual.

Indoor66
02-13-2014, 07:21 PM
And then: "Dodge, duck, dip, dive, dodge"

White Goodman says hello....

devil84
02-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Most of the accidents yesterday happened early when folks thought they could drive fast and hit a patch of ice. The risk was greater than usual.

Um...I'll respectfully disagree. Most accidents happened because conditions were treacherous and even the most careful driving resulted in cars sliding off the road. I know many people who wound up walking 3-5 miles home because cars couldn't make it up hills, or even remain on the road due to the gentle camber of the road surface. Sure, there were a lot of "I lived in <northern state> and I know how to drive in snow" idiots who spun their 4x4's into ditches, and there were plenty of drivers who had never seen snow and stopped at the bottom of hills, slammed on their brakes, or made other rookie mistakes. But the vast majority of the drivers I saw on the road were driving slowly and carefully, and still couldn't remain on the road.

In any case, I'll agree that the risk was much greater than usual. Both in the conditions of the road surface and the number of obstacles in the form of abandoned vehicles on the side of the road.

Atlanta Duke
02-13-2014, 07:46 PM
Bottom line is that despite the ACC playing weather tough guy and saying the show must go on, the ACC probably took the hint that it was a bad look on insisting that the game proceed when everyone else is being told to get off the road and stay off.

If saying the bus was not going to make it provided cover for making a rational decision so be it.

Atlanta did not get hit as bad as the Triangle this time but the Georgia Tech game was scrubbed despite the refs and Boston College being in town to get to the site of the game

According to a news release from Tech, the school made the decision to postpone in consultation with the ACC and Boston College. ACC policy stipulates that games will be played if both teams and the game officials can make it to the arena safely.

From the release: “Though both teams and game officials are in town, current weather and road conditions have made it dangerous and unsafe for many essential game operations personnel, game officials and fans to reach McCamish Pavilion safely.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/colle...stponed/ndMHR/

As the host of last night's game, Tech actually considered not just whether the refs could get to the game but whether everyone, including other game operations personnel and fans, could make it to the game safely. The Tech AD needs to call Bubba and find out how escaping responsibilities for conducting a safe sporting event at your facilities while laying off anger at the event being postponed on someone else works .

roywhite
02-13-2014, 07:53 PM
Atlanta did not get hit as bad as the Triangle this time but the Georgia Tech game was scrubbed despite the refs and Boston College being in town to get to the site of the game

According to a news release from Tech, the school made the decision to postpone in consultation with the ACC and Boston College. ACC policy stipulates that games will be played if both teams and the game officials can make it to the arena safely.

From the release: “Though both teams and game officials are in town, current weather and road conditions have made it dangerous and unsafe for many essential game operations personnel, game officials and fans to reach McCamish Pavilion safely.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/colle...stponed/ndMHR/

As the host of last night's game, Tech actually considered not just whether the refs could get to the game but whether everyone, including other game operations personnel and fans, could make it to the game safely. The Tech AD needs to call Bubba and find out how escaping responsibilities for conducting a safe sporting event at your facilities while laying off anger at the event being postponed on someone else works .

Looks like they played today at 5:00 PM.

Ga Tech 74 -- Boston College 71 (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400536994)

Appears it was a fairly entertaining game; attendance indicated as 3,104.

Atlanta Duke
02-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Looks like they played today at 5:00 PM.

Ga Tech 74 -- Boston College 71 (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400536994)

Appears it was a fairly entertaining game; attendance indicated as 3,104.

Maybe Boston College should appeal and seek a forfeit from Georgia Tech since under strict ACC policy there is no valid reason the game should have been delayed until Thursday and therefore the results of the delayed game are void:)

Duvall
02-13-2014, 08:36 PM

I guess our tolerance for the risks associated with a game played by teenagers with a synthetic leather ball is lower than yours. Sorry?

Channing
02-14-2014, 09:30 AM
wow ... conspiracy theorists are out in full force for this one (at least among my Carolina "friends" - they all get " " during bball season). Apparently Coach K was scared to play in front of a raucous DD filled with students ... it would have been too much for the team to handle. Or, Duke (not the schools together, but Duke) knew at 2 pm they had no intention of heading over to play the game but didn't announce until around 6 to screw with the Carolina fans and vendors.

stillcrazie
02-14-2014, 09:34 AM
wow ... conspiracy theorists are out in full force for this one (at least among my Carolina "friends" - they all get " " during bball season). Apparently Coach K was scared to play in front of a raucous DD filled with students ... it would have been too much for the team to handle. Or, Duke (not the schools together, but Duke) knew at 2 pm they had no intention of heading over to play the game but didn't announce until around 6 to screw with the Carolina fans and vendors.

Yep. A UNC facebook friend of mine posted some video of a guy allegedly making the drive in 27 minutes, including all kinds of Duke bashing commentary.

Problem is: if the guy is making a video after the fact, then it doesn't reflect conditions that night, does it? Not to mention the illogical idea that Coach K was scared to play at the DD. Haters gonna hate!!! GO DUKE!!!

FerryFor50
02-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Yep. A UNC facebook friend of mine posted some video of a guy allegedly making the drive in 27 minutes, including all kinds of Duke bashing commentary.

Problem is: if the guy is making a video after the fact, then it doesn't reflect conditions that night, does it? Not to mention the illogical idea that Coach K was scared to play at the DD. Haters gonna hate!!! GO DUKE!!!

#8 Duke was terrified of playing unranked, inconsistent, PJ Hairston-less UNC.

I heard that Duke sent them an email about canceling the game at 2PM, but no one could read it...

hudlow
02-14-2014, 09:41 AM
I guess our tolerance for the risks associated with a game played by teenagers with a synthetic leather ball is lower than yours. Sorry?

Thank-you. My thoughts all along.

Duke_92
02-14-2014, 11:26 AM

This is BS. I live a couple miles from the Dean Dome. It took my neighbor that works at the Durham VA 5 hours to get home. Many of my neighbors walked home from the other side of Chapel Hill. The game should have been canceled by 2pm.

That said I was able to snag seats in the first row behind the basket for $200 each. Seats beside mine are now posted for $2,200 each. It was my lucky day. Bring on the Heels!

DukieInKansas
02-14-2014, 11:35 AM
[sarcasm font] So some of you think safety should have been an issue when the players would be traveling on a bus going well below the speed limit and taking an unacceptably long time to get there? Child, please.

Just say you didn't think the bus would get there on time, but don't hand me the "It's for the children" line. [/sarcasm font]

Fixed it for you.

royalblue
02-14-2014, 02:33 PM
I heard that Duke sent them an email about canceling the game at 2PM, but no one could read it...

To be fair they could read it after it was translated to Swahili

westwall
02-14-2014, 04:36 PM
i am planning to drive tomorrow from DC to Durham for the MD game. How are the roads (85, 501, around campus) now?

jimrowe0
02-14-2014, 04:49 PM
You shouldn't have any issues. The major roads are all clear.

JasonEvans
02-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Apparently Coach K was scared to play in front of a raucous DD filled with students ... it would have been too much for the team to handle.

I just want to be absolutely clear about one thing regarding the Carolina outrage over the game being cancelled...

Roy and his athletic department were desperate to screw over their big-money donors and let the rabid students in for free. Lets not pretend that Carolina's insistence that the game be played was about anything other than making sure that the monied alums would not be in their seats for the biggest game of the season.

Disgusting.

-Jason "they clearly have an intensity problem... so fix it and put your students up close you jackwagons!" Evans

Furniture
02-14-2014, 05:06 PM
i am planning to drive tomorrow from DC to Durham for the MD game. How are the roads (85, 501, around campus) now?

The highways are as good as new. Side roads have cleaned up fairly good. There is a lot of snow piled up by snow ploughs on the side of the roads and hence fourth some melting which could be an issue for black ice but the temp is not supposed to be below freezing tonight.

Furniture
02-14-2014, 05:07 PM
I just want to be absolutely clear about one thing regarding the Carolina outrage over the game being cancelled...

Roy and his athletic department were desperate to screw over their big-money donors and let the rabid students in for free. Lets not pretend that Carolina's insistence that the game be played was about anything other than making sure that the monied alums would not be in their seats for the biggest game of the season.

Disgusting.

-Jason "they clearly have an intensity problem... so fix it and put your students up close you jackwagons!" Evans

Are they still outraged? Wow, they have to get over it and anyway who cares?

FerryFor50
02-14-2014, 05:14 PM
The highways are as good as new. Side roads have cleaned up fairly good. There is a lot of snow piled up by snow ploughs on the side of the roads and hence fourth some melting which could be an issue for black ice but the temp is not supposed to be below freezing tonight.

It got into the 50s today. More of the same over the weekend, but they say there may be some wintry mix on Sat night. Nothing that will accumulate for long, though...

FerryFor50
02-14-2014, 05:19 PM

Disgusting.

Maybe the alums should start talking with their wallets and hold their contributions hostage...

bob blue devil
02-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Can y'all help me understand where all this 'Bubba, Roy and the Athletic Dept are peeved or are seeking to fan anti-duke flames' stuff is coming from? Is there a quote or something aside from bubba stating the fact that duke's bus couldn't make it?

Ps we all should care less what our unc troll friends/Internet idiots are saying - nobody with half a brain could believe this conspiracy nonsense.

ChrisP
02-14-2014, 09:26 PM
Can y'all help me understand where all this 'Bubba, Roy and the Athletic Dept are peeved or are seeking to fan anti-duke flames' stuff is coming from? Is there a quote or something aside from bubba stating the fact that duke's bus couldn't make it?

Ps we all should care less what our unc troll friends/Internet idiots are saying - nobody with half a brain could believe this conspiracy nonsense.

Thanks, Bob - I have been wondering the same thing. It seems to me a lot of Duke fans (at least on this board) are getting their undies in a bunch over nothing. I agree Carolina didn't handle things well but don't agree they did it the way they did to make Duke look bad.

camion
02-14-2014, 09:50 PM
Hanlon's Razor - Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

DBFAN
02-14-2014, 09:58 PM
Hanlon's Razor - Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I am not sure of what went on with Roy, and Bubba, but I do know that FB and Twitter blew up with outrage from Carolina fans that K didn't get his team there. Everything from they should have planned better, to K didn't want to face Kerlina and their hostile crowd. That part was annoying but not nearly as annoying as one of the Coaches from the UNC football team making absolute ludicrous statements about Coach K and the basketball team. We aren't talking about some drunken Chapel Hill student (I guess that is a redundant to say) but a coach who is suppose to be a representative of his employer

DBFAN
02-14-2014, 10:00 PM
Sorry about that I meant to Quote ChrisP

kingboozer
02-14-2014, 10:06 PM
As a native of the great state of NC, it disgusts me what the 'flagship' university has turned into. I would never send my child to that hole. This ridiculous banter about the terrible road conditions is nothing short of typical of what they have turned into over the years.

throatybeard
02-14-2014, 10:22 PM

When I was a kid, I started a subscription to SI. 1994. So sometime fairly shortly after that, some college basketball coach was quoted in the magazine, I think it was Henry Bibby. He described the profession as something like "your paycheck is being passed around by eighteen year olds in their underwear."

What a remarkably spot-on assessment of college basketball.

devil84
02-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Thanks, Bob - I have been wondering the same thing. It seems to me a lot of Duke fans (at least on this board) are getting their undies in a bunch over nothing. I agree Carolina didn't handle things well but don't agree they did it the way they did to make Duke look bad.

If Bubba had started his quote with, "For the safety of players, fans, and staff.." (or similar) instead of something about Duke's bus not being able to make it, I don't think anyone would have had a problem with it. The way he phrased it leaves the door wide open for haters to pile on.

The "conspiracy theorists" aren't really Bubba or Roy, but the rest of the athletic staff, former players, students, and fans. When many of us who live in the Triangle are subjected to stuff like this (http://northcarolina.247sports.com/Article/Top-Twitter-Posts-After-UNCDuke-was-Postponed-177234) in our in-boxes and social media, we roll our eyes and want to discuss the "conspiracy."

None of those Carolina scholars, however, are discussing the aspects of this press release (http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=209404978):

Opening Weekend Moved To Charleston
Release: 02/13/2014

CHAPEL HILL --- Due to extreme winter weather in Chapel Hill, the North Carolina baseball team will open its 2014 season Saturday, Feb. 15, at the College of Charleston. The Tar Heels and Cougars will play Saturday at 2 p.m., Sunday at 2 p.m., and Monday at 1 p.m., at Patriots Point in Mount Pleasant, S.C. Fans with tickets for this weekend's games at Boshamer Stadium can exchange them for tickets to any remaining regular season home game, based on availability.

And in a related tweet, Duke baseball tweets its readiness (https://twitter.com/Duke_GAMEDAY/status/434149201669550080) for opening day in Durham.

Furniture
02-14-2014, 10:39 PM
As a native of the great state of NC, it disgusts me what the 'flagship' university has turned into. I would never send my child to that hole. This ridiculous banter about the terrible road conditions is nothing short of typical of what they have turned into over the years.

Come on let's keep it real and grown up. Not sending your child there because of what some disappointed basketball students say on twitter is not a good reason to not send them there. Whatever they have done in athletics and all of that sham, it's still "the"university to get in to (not counting Duke) in NC. I don't care what anyone says.
People who shun it and say they don't want their kids to go there probably really mean that their kids aren't good enough to get in their. It's tough to get into.

ancienteagle
02-14-2014, 11:32 PM

Don't you know? Duke gets ALL the postponements.

throatybeard
02-15-2014, 01:10 AM

Disagree, and agree.

Disagree: UNC-CH is an incredible research university. This hoo-hah with the sports kids notwithstanding, the faculty at that school are world-class. They might have been better than Duke till about 1985-1990. The core strength of a University is its faculty. I still have great respect for Carolina academically, even after this silliness with sports players.

Agree: I would never live in North Carolina or send my kid there, because I would never want him to have to deal with UNC sports fans. Or live in the state of North Carolina, because of UNC fans. Or have to go to UNC, because there are at least 200 state schools in this nation with amazing faculty.

Kimist
02-15-2014, 06:13 AM
OK...enough of this "conspiracy by Coach K" mess re not wanting to go to play the heels this past Wednesday.

Firstly, Duke made a pretty good showing in front of 35k rabid fans in the Carrier Dome. The noise in that place would generally make the Dumb Dome seem like a mausoleum in comparison.

Secondly, here's a challenge to all those loyal UNcheater supporters: Have the administration immediately send a letter/email to all Rams Club members and tell them their tickets are void for Thursday's rescheduled game with the Devils. It's now first come - first admitted, and there are NO reserved seats. Just like they "wanted" it to be on February 12th.

C'mon, Bubba. Ball is in your court !!

And in the meantime, I do hope we kick their sorry tails by a very wide(r) margin!!

k

Addendum: Since I live in the RDU area, at times I just get my absolute fill of the constant (I don't dare say it, but you do know what the noun is!) from the Carolina "fans."

bob blue devil
02-15-2014, 06:38 AM
One more question - what is the outrage everyone is speaking of? Is it just a bunch of unc trolls seeking to (and apparently succeeding in) getting under the skin of the duke homers, or is there a genuine frustration by real people with how duke handled things? I'd love to see some examples.

oldnavy
02-15-2014, 06:41 AM
The Dean Dome is not an intimidating place to play and they know it. The ONLY reason they are upset that the game was cancelled is because they thought that they could actually get an exciting environment to play for once... sad isn't it, that you need your season ticket fans to stay away in order to have a loud/exciting environment to play in.

It has become the norm in CH to blame others for circumstances created solely by their own actions. THEY CREATED THE DEAN DOME... It has no character to call it's own and it is notoriously quite MOST of the time, in fact they have to create pseudo excitement with pumped in music before the tip off... after that is sneaker squeaks the rest of the game, with an occasional stupor inducing "taaaarrrrrrr....heeeeeeelssss chant mixed in. Place is flat our boring and they know it. Go over to IC and read some of the comments directed at their own lower section fans....

So, who's fault is it that it is one of the least intimidating places to play in the ACC....

Well in this case it is Coach K's fault, because despite the fact that EVERYTHING in the triangle was shut down due to the weather, he wasn't "man" enough to risk getting to the DD to play the game, because he was scared of the crowd.... how stupid is that?

They are plenty upset, but it is because they know they missed the ONE opportunity to have a "special" crowd in the DD.... so of course in true UNC tradition... blame it on someone else...

hudlow
02-15-2014, 08:08 AM
"Wait 'til next year"

might soon be replaced with

"We coulda beat you last Wednesday."

NYBri
02-15-2014, 08:18 AM
Next game - Maryland
Everything else - noise to be ignored

ChrisP
02-15-2014, 09:59 AM
I am not sure of what went on with Roy, and Bubba, but I do know that FB and Twitter blew up with outrage from Carolina fans that K didn't get his team there. Everything from they should have planned better, to K didn't want to face Kerlina and their hostile crowd. That part was annoying but not nearly as annoying as one of the Coaches from the UNC football team making absolute ludicrous statements about Coach K and the basketball team. We aren't talking about some drunken Chapel Hill student (I guess that is a redundant to say) but a coach who is suppose to be a representative of his employer

I have not seen or heard anything about one of the UNC football coaches chiming in on this mess. Can you point me to a link or something? Not disputing your word - this is simply the first I have heard of it (although, admittedly, I haven't read all 18 pages of this thread. I think I stopped at page 11 and then skipped to the end).

As for Bubba's statement, perhaps the wording was unfortunate, but...his statement was factually correct. In other words, Duke's bus was not able to get to their campus to pick up the team. That's a fact. Sure, UNC should have recognized the extremely dangerous road conditions earlier (and they were dangerous, I live in the area) and maybe worded the statement to make it sound as though they were taking some responsibility in the matter, too. But I just don't really see a reason to get all worked up about what a bunch of ignorant UNC fans are saying about all this on the Interwebs.

I guess this is to be expected when there's no basketball to be played for a few days and fans have nothing better to do than fret over nonsense. I'm guessing this thread will probably die down after 6pm tonight.

Newton_14
02-15-2014, 10:04 AM
One thing I forgot to add and sorry if this was mentioned upthread and I missed it. This was really hard on Roy. WRAL interviewed a student that was waiting with others in some pool/aquatics center, to get into the Nose Dome, and she said it was Roy that came and "broke the news to them". So sad. Poor Roy. I imagine that was really hard on him. I am sure he will find a way to bring up that factoid somewhere along the way.

jv001
02-15-2014, 12:23 PM
The Dean Dome is not an intimidating place to play and they know it. The ONLY reason they are upset that the game was cancelled is because they thought that they could actually get an exciting environment to play for once... sad isn't it, that you need your season ticket fans to stay away in order to have a loud/exciting environment to play in.

It has become the norm in CH to blame others for circumstances created solely by their own actions. THEY CREATED THE DEAN DOME... It has no character to call it's own and it is notoriously quite MOST of the time, in fact they have to create pseudo excitement with pumped in music before the tip off... after that is sneaker squeaks the rest of the game, with an occasional stupor inducing "taaaarrrrrrr....heeeeeeelssss chant mixed in. Place is flat our boring and they know it. Go over to IC and read some of the comments directed at their own lower section fans....

So, who's fault is it that it is one of the least intimidating places to play in the ACC....

Well in this case it is Coach K's fault, because despite the fact that EVERYTHING in the triangle was shut down due to the weather, he wasn't "man" enough to risk getting to the DD to play the game, because he was scared of the crowd.... how stupid is that?

They are plenty upset, but it is because they know they missed the ONE opportunity to have a "special" crowd in the DD.... so of course in true UNC tradition... blame it on someone else...

I'm really not surprised at anything the unc crowd makes up. You are 100% correct, they blame anyone and everyone for their own stupid mistakes. I've lived around those type Carolina fans all my life and nothing has changed. Maybe the reason unc failed to have the game postponed earlier is they couldn't read the weather forecasts, :cool: GoDuke!

WakeDevil
02-15-2014, 02:49 PM
Postponement - The game will be played at a later date.

Cancellation - The game will not be played.

77devil
02-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Disagree, and agree.

Disagree: UNC-CH is an incredible research university. This hoo-hah with the sports kids notwithstanding, the faculty at that school are world-class. They might have been better than Duke till about 1985-1990.

This is simply incorrect. When I visited colleges and universities, Duke was far more selective and had a much stronger reputation than UNC or UVA. My grandfather was a UNC CH faculty member and Chair of the English Department at UNC G. Both of his children attended Duke. There was no debate. Just saying.

mgtr
02-15-2014, 08:42 PM
This is simply incorrect. When I visited colleges and universities, Duke was far more selective and had a much stronger reputation than UNC or UVA. My grandfather was a UNC CH faculty member and Chair of the English Department at UNC G. Both of his children attended Duke. There was no debate. Just saying.

Quite an indictment. Good thing that your grandfather was not in the AFAM program!

UrinalCake
02-15-2014, 11:45 PM

Yeah, I think it was the wording of their statement, saying that it's because the Duke bus can't make it, rather than stating that it was for the safety of fans and the staff.

Then there was the hypocracy of advising paid ticketholders not to come (and giving their seats away to students) while simultaneously suggesting that it was safe to play the game.

Then Roy shows up and starts shaking hands with fans in line while wearing SHORTS, as if to say "see, it's not even cold out here." That was a jerk move.

NYBri
02-15-2014, 11:52 PM
Next game - Ga. Tech
Everything else - irrelevent