PDA

View Full Version : MLB Spring Training 2014

jjasper0729
02-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Spring training has technically started with two teams having pitchers and catchers report in the Cactus League. The rest of the league starts in the coming days. Spring is right around the corner. A-roid won't be playing and the others that took their medicine will be trying to salvage their reps (Braun, Cruz, etc).

Hoping the Red Sox can gel again this year like they did last year, even with all the shake ups in the line up.

YmoBeThere
02-12-2014, 08:03 AM
Hoping the Red Sox can gel again this year like they did last year, even with all the shake ups in the line up.

Chemistry is an interesting thing to play with. I think less critical in baseball than in other sports, but...

Blue in the Face
02-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Jeter follows Mo, and ensures a second straight year of welling up at the Yankees' home finale.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/02/12/yankees-captain-derek-jeter-to-retire-at-end-of-2014-season/5424023/?sf22729089=1

weezie
02-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Spring training has technically started with two teams having pitchers and catchers report in the Cactus League.

And the best hitter in the game, Miguel Cabrera showed up in Lakeland yesterday just to welcome the pitchers and catchers on Thursday.
Maybe he's getting their rooms ready and liming the field, too.
This guy really, really, REALLY, loves to play baseball and HIT the ball far far far away.
Wait, make that CRUSH the ball far far far away.

Dev11
02-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Jeter follows Mo, and ensures a second straight year of welling up at the Yankees' home finale.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/02/12/yankees-captain-derek-jeter-to-retire-at-end-of-2014-season/5424023/?sf22729089=1

Another year of nationwide barnstorming Yankee worship? What did we do to deserve this?

Think all the ladies in Jeter's life will look up at the gifts he receives from the teams and realize that they were treated to even better gift baskets?

How will Jeter's farewell gifts compare to Selig's?

Sorry friends, I'll clean up all the snark I just left everywhere.

YmoBeThere
02-12-2014, 10:33 PM
Agreed, another year of Yankee worship isn't a thrilling adventure in my book.

Olympic Fan
02-14-2014, 02:05 AM
Haters got to hate, but aside from the residual hatred of everything in pinstripes, what has Jeter ever done to deserve it?

Even his opponents acknowledge he's been one of the classiest players of his generation. Never been associated with PEDs or any other kind of cheating. Hard to remember him being controversial -- Keith Olbermann just ripped him for being dull.

He is the greatest offensive shortstop of modern times -- a more productive hitter than Ripken (Jeter has a higher BA, OBP, OPS and OPS plus -- and an almost identical SLUG). Honus Wagner was a greater offensive force at shortstop a century ago, but the only other shortstops who could arguably be compared to him are guys like Ernie Banks, Paul Molitor or A-Roid -- three guys who played about half their career at shortstop (and in A-Roid's case, depended on PEDs). None of them played anywhere near as long as he did at SS.

Defensively, I know there are a lot of stat geeks who rip him as a defender. It must really gall them that he's won five gold gloves, voted by the managers. Honestly, he's not near the defensive force of an Ozzie Smith or an Omar Visquel, but he was good enough to play shortstop of five world championship teams and two other pennant winners.

Off the field, he ranks with Roger Vadim and Warren Beatty as an all-time world-class playboy. His known conquests -- Jessica Biel, Jessica Alba, Scarlett Johansson, Minka Kelly, Mariah Carey, Lara Dutton (Miss Universe), Jordana Brewster (my personal favorite), Joy Enriquez, Gabrielle Union, Tyra Banks, Vanessa Minnilo, Adriana Lima ... amazing that unlike other notable playboys such as Charlie Sheen or Tiger Woods, he's never been involved in an ugly "romantic" controversy.

Respect.

As a Yankee fan, I've been proud to have Jeter as the face of the franchise for the last 20 years ... I wonder who's going to be the face of the franchise after he retires? Brett Gardner?

weezie
02-14-2014, 10:19 AM
Respect.

Without a doubt. Jeter always gives off the impression that the game mattered more to him than the trappings of success. I hope I can get a ticket to one of his last games in Detroit where he is truly loved as our Michigan boy.

Keith O-bore-man is a guy who has failed at just about every job he's had but maybe he was an ok ice ream scooper at the cornell Ag college. No one cares what he thinks.

Blue in the Face
02-14-2014, 12:51 PM
The Braves continue locking up their youngsters, signing Julio Teheran to a 6-year deal, with a team option for a 7th year. Complete terms don't seem to be out yet, but it sounds like it's $31.4MM for the six years (2 pre-arbitration years, 3 arb years and 1 FA year), and $12MM for the 7th or a $1MM buyout if the option isn't picked up.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24443019/braves-sign-julio-teheran-to-six-year-contract-extension

brevity
02-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Off the field, he ranks with Roger Vadim and Warren Beatty as an all-time world-class playboy. His known conquests -- Jessica Biel, Jessica Alba, Scarlett Johansson, Minka Kelly, Mariah Carey, Lara Dutton (Miss Universe), Jordana Brewster (my personal favorite), Joy Enriquez, Gabrielle Union, Tyra Banks, Vanessa Minnilo, Adriana Lima ... amazing that unlike other notable playboys such as Charlie Sheen or Tiger Woods, he's never been involved in an ugly "romantic" controversy.

Respect.

No one has posted this outstanding effort (https://twitter.com/SportsNation/status/434048336488706048/photo/1) from ESPN's SportsNation yet:

Note the file name. I guess this makes Derek Jeter the Hit-That King.

tbyers11
02-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Haters got to hate, but aside from the residual hatred of everything in pinstripes, what has Jeter ever done to deserve it?

Even his opponents acknowledge he's been one of the classiest players of his generation. Never been associated with PEDs or any other kind of cheating. Hard to remember him being controversial -- Keith Olbermann just ripped him for being dull.

He is the greatest offensive shortstop of modern times -- a more productive hitter than Ripken (Jeter has a higher BA, OBP, OPS and OPS plus -- and an almost identical SLUG). Honus Wagner was a greater offensive force at shortstop a century ago, but the only other shortstops who could arguably be compared to him are guys like Ernie Banks, Paul Molitor or A-Roid -- three guys who played about half their career at shortstop (and in A-Roid's case, depended on PEDs). None of them played anywhere near as long as he did at SS.

Defensively, I know there are a lot of stat geeks who rip him as a defender. It must really gall them that he's won five gold gloves, voted by the managers. Honestly, he's not near the defensive force of an Ozzie Smith or an Omar Visquel, but he was good enough to play shortstop of five world championship teams and two other pennant winners.

Not a Yankee fan, but I do have to tip the cap to Jeter. Didn't watch the Yankees enough everyday to know exactly how good he was defensively, but in his younger days he seemed to be above average but not outstanding and likely won his Gold Gloves due to his notoriety. Offensively, he was hands-down one of the greatest SS of all-time.

Since I grew up a Brewer fan, I have to quibble with your classifying Molitor as a SS. I barely remember him ever playing at SS. Mostly 3B and 2B til age and injuries forced him to DH. I think you are mixing up HOF Brewers in Molitor and Robin Yount. Yount played SS his first 11 years before moving to CF for the last 9.

Duvall
02-14-2014, 05:08 PM

I assume there are actual examples of this "hate" that's aimed at Jeter himself, and not the Jeter fanboys and baseball media (but I repeat myself) that have covered him so insufferably over the years? Noting that Jeter lacked the range to warrant his Gold Gloves does not, I think, qualify as "hate."

duke74
02-15-2014, 09:04 AM

Respect.

As a Yankee fan, I've been proud to have Jeter as the face of the franchise for the last 20 years ... I wonder who's going to be the face of the franchise after he retires? Brett Gardner?

OF, I agree completely. Even as a Mets fan, I have respected Jeter for years, even when he stuck daggers into my heart (eg, WS leadoff homer). Class, class, class on and off the field. A true link in the Pinstripes legacy of winners. He, Mo, Andy (PEDs aside) and Jorge will never be duplicated for a group tenure and production.

So, as a Yankee guy, where does he sit on your "all time" NYY team? Local sportwriters here have him anywhere from 4th to 6th. Ruth, Gehrig are the clear top 2, with Mantle, DiMaggio and Berra often shifting around the pecking order with Jeter ahead of Berra in some lists, and behind in others. Each of the 6 brought something to the Bronx. In addition to the obvious performance greatness: Ruth "saved" baseball and was the face of the game; Gehrig became a tragic figure; Mantle was a short brilliant flame saddled with injuries (and as we later learned the lifestyle of partying); Joe D carried himself with grace and class (although there's supposedly a book, a "tell-all" about DiMaggio that may tarnish the rep per the local sports shows); and Yogi was a "lovable" character, but a great player and a winner.

Jeter seems to be an amalgam, blending the good qualities of each (other than of course the power numbers), as you so articulately presented above. Where do you put him?

Blue in the Face
02-15-2014, 11:35 AM
So, as a Yankee guy, where does he sit on your "all time" NYY team? Local sportwriters here have him anywhere from 4th to 6th. Ruth, Gehrig are the clear top 2, with Mantle, DiMaggio and Berra often shifting around the pecking order with Jeter ahead of Berra in some lists, and behind in others.
It's hard to evaluate players who were before my time (all of them but Jeter), but that's about where I'd have him. Ruth and Gehrig are layups, and I think Mantle's a clear third. I think those 6 are pretty clearly the top position guys, and I don't think any pitchers are all the way there with them.

BD80
02-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Seeing the thread title, my first thought was: The NFL is allowing spring practice?

Oh, baseball ...

Haters got to hate, but aside from the residual hatred of everything in pinstripes, what has Jeter ever done to deserve it?...

Keith Olbermann just ripped him for being dull. ...

Respect. ...

Adding Hannah Davis to that list. The jealousy factor is reason to hate. Unlike Sheen or Woods, Jeter never had to pay. (Or was classy enough to stay away from pros).

How on earth can someone with a list like that be considered boring?

Olympic Fan
02-15-2014, 12:44 PM
So, as a Yankee guy, where does he sit on your "all time" NYY team? Local sportwriters here have him anywhere from 4th to 6th. Ruth, Gehrig are the clear top 2, with Mantle, DiMaggio and Berra often shifting around the pecking order with Jeter ahead of Berra in some lists, and behind in others. Each of the 6 brought something to the Bronx. In addition to the obvious performance greatness: Ruth "saved" baseball and was the face of the game; Gehrig became a tragic figure; Mantle was a short brilliant flame saddled with injuries (and as we later learned the lifestyle of partying); Joe D carried himself with grace and class (although there's supposedly a book, a "tell-all" about DiMaggio that may tarnish the rep per the local sports shows); and Yogi was a "lovable" character, but a great player and a winner.

Jeter seems to be an amalgam, blending the good qualities of each (other than of course the power numbers), as you so articulately presented above. Where do you put him?

I saw a good evaluation that argued it was between Jeter and Berra for fifth place.

As you say, it's got to be Ruth No. 1 (since he's also the number one guy in baseball history) and Gehrig No. 2. Most serious baseball historians would ranked Mantle third -- or even pushing Gehrig for No. 2 (the stat geeks LOVE Mantle's numbers). DiMaggio fits in at No. 4 -- although he might rank higher if he had not lost three prime years for WWII (and he was one of the guys who was slow to come back from the layoff ... his 1946 season was a waste). That's leaves Berra and Jeter fighting for fifth place ... close call either way.

The other debate is where does Jeter rank on the all-time shortstop list? Saw Rob Neyer take on this last night -- as everybody else does, he has Wagner at No. 1, but said it was between Ripken and Jeter for No. 2 -- he acknowledged that Jeter was the superior offensive player, but gave Ripken the edge based on his defensive superiority at short. Still, third place in baseball history ain't bad.

PS Earlier, I talked about three guys who were great shortstops for half their careers and I mentioned Molitor ... of course, you were right tbyers, I confused Molitor and Yount, It was Yount, Banks and A-Roid who were among the greatest shortstops ever, but played just at 50 percent of their careers at short.

Blue in the Face
02-16-2014, 11:22 AM
The Braves keep going, signing Kimbrel to a 4 year, $42MM contract. Like the Teheran deal, it buys out 1 free-agent year, and includes a team option for 2018.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10465068/craig-kimbrel-atlanta-braves-agree-terms-four-year-deal

Turk
02-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Interesting to see two sides of big-market vs. small-market Pennsylvania baseball last week.

In Philadelphia, there is not rejoicing in the streets, but quiet general agreement that signing AJ Burnett for 1 year, $16 million is a good economical move for the Phillies, despite concerns about Burnett's age. Burnett would be the #3 starter behind Hamels and Cliff Lee, moving Kyle Kendrick down to #4. (Plus he's bringing a winning attitude. Wait, what? From Pittsburgh, you say? Hell really must have frozen over!)

Pittsburgh fans spent the winter wondering about what kind of conversations were taking place with management and Burnett. Burnett had stated he wanted to either retire or sign with the Bucs, but anyone who thinks that was a promise is naive. We know the Bucs chose not to offer a $14 mill qualifier, which would have entitled them to a draft pick if they couldn't close a deal and Burnett signed elsewhere. It appears they offered $12 mill for one year, which Burnett turned down.

The Pirates now look like they're pennypinching and not committed to winning, happy to gather the profits from last year's great playoff run and take whatever comes this season. They chose not to risk giving Burnett a $6 million raise (he made $13M last year, with $5M coming from the Yankees - thanks guys!), and tried to save a mere $2 million but also lost any chance of getting any compensation. On the Pirates payroll, $12-$14 million is probably too much money to pay for a #3 (behind Liriano and Cole), but Burnett was a fan favorite (even if a PITA to the coaches once in a while). Seems to me that if they were willing to go as high as $12M they should have made the qualifier.

I'm not too worried the Pirates had a quiet winter, doing nothing newsworthy to address glaring offensive holes at RF and 1B. Looking forward to following spring training from the frozen north country.

JasonEvans
02-20-2014, 12:28 PM
The Braves keep going, signing Kimbrel to a 4 year, $42MM contract. Like the Teheran deal, it buys out 1 free-agent year, and includes a team option for 2018.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10465068/craig-kimbrel-atlanta-braves-agree-terms-four-year-deal

And the youngsters getting rich continues for the Braves.

They have locked up the best SS in baseball signing Andrelton Simmons to a 7-year, $58 mil contract. Unlike the Tehran and Kimbrell deals, the Braves got 2 years of free agency from Simmons, not just 1. My bet is that there will be a club option in there at the end which will potentially allow the Braves to get one more year from him at what may be a discount to real free agent value.

The Simons deal calls for him to be paid the following:

2014 - $1 mil
2015 - $3 mil
2016 - $6 mil (this would have been his first year of arbitration eligibility)
2017 - $8 mil
2018 - $11 mil
2019 - $13 mil (would have been first year of free agency)
2020 - $15 mil

I love, love, love this strategy by the Braves. Yes, there is a real risk that some of these kids get hurt or don't perform as expected, but we have a good bit of evidence that they are all high, high quality MLB players who will be successful for years to come. The Braves are taking on some risk and perhaps overpaying a little bit in the early years in exchange for what could turn out to be bargain basement values on these players in later years. Makes sense to me.

And I love that they have locked down their core -- a stud starting pitcher, stud 1B, stud SS, and stud closer... all of them appearing to be perennial All-Stars -- for the next several years. Amazing that the club has had a super off season without signing any significant free agents. Ha!

--Jason "the Nats and other teams with young stars are really going to feel some pressure to do the same thing the Braves are doing" Evans

Dev11
02-20-2014, 12:36 PM
They have locked up the best SS in baseball

The Braves traded for either Troy Tulowitzki or Ian Desmond?

I kid, Simmons is nasty in the field and that signing is excellent for them. I wish the Nats were locking up their young talent the way the Braves are. It doesn't look like Desmond and Zimmermann will both be Nats in 3 years. Hopefully at least one of them signs a deal.

JasonEvans
02-20-2014, 12:53 PM
The Braves traded for either Troy Tulowitzki or Ian Desmond?

I kid, Simmons is nasty in the field and that signing is excellent for them.

AS - OffWAR - 2.1, DefWAR - 5.4: Total WAR 6.8
TT - OffWAR - 4.7, DefWAR - 1.2: Total WAR 5.3
ID - OffWAR - 4.1, DefWAR - 0.4: Total WAR 3.7

-Jason "all the baseball experts says Simmons is going to turn into a real offensive force once he get a little older and stronger... he will just be 24 this year" Evans

Dev11
02-20-2014, 03:21 PM
AS - OffWAR - 2.1, DefWAR - 5.4: Total WAR 6.8
TT - OffWAR - 4.7, DefWAR - 1.2: Total WAR 5.3
ID - OffWAR - 4.1, DefWAR - 0.4: Total WAR 3.7

-Jason "all the baseball experts says Simmons is going to turn into a real offensive force once he get a little older and stronger... he will just be 24 this year" Evans

Mr. Evans, I know that you're smarter than to trust defensive WAR at face value.

Matches
02-21-2014, 10:36 AM
And the youngsters getting rich continues for the Braves.

I love, love, love this strategy by the Braves. Yes, there is a real risk that some of these kids get hurt or don't perform as expected, but we have a good bit of evidence that they are all high, high quality MLB players who will be successful for years to come. The Braves are taking on some risk and perhaps overpaying a little bit in the early years in exchange for what could turn out to be bargain basement values on these players in later years. Makes sense to me.

And I love that they have locked down their core -- a stud starting pitcher, stud 1B, stud SS, and stud closer... all of them appearing to be perennial All-Stars -- for the next several years. Amazing that the club has had a super off season without signing any significant free agents. Ha!

Totally agreed. Simmons was the one I really had my eye on. I think he would be an MVP candidate if the voters were more focused on defense. Locking him up is huge.

I'd like to see them extend Mike Minor too - at the rate they've been going, that could be the next announcement.

My only regret is that they were unable to lock up any of Heyward's FA years - makes me suspect he will depart once he becomes a FA. I love all of the other deals, though, and I think all of them except maybe Kimbrel's are huge bargains for the team. If salaries continue to grow the way I expect them too, those deals are going to be way below market value in 2019-2020.

JasonEvans
02-21-2014, 11:25 AM
My only regret is that they were unable to lock up any of Heyward's FA years - makes me suspect he will depart once he becomes a FA. I love all of the other deals, though, and I think all of them except maybe Kimbrel's are huge bargains for the team. If salaries continue to grow the way I expect them too, those deals are going to be way below market value in 2019-2020.

Yup, looking at the totality of all the deals, it is clear that Heyward's is the one that shows the least long-term confidence and commitment by the team. Though, because he was so close to free agency anyway, I doubt they could have gotten a huge bargain on his free agent years had they tried to lock him up for -- for example -- 5 years (2 arb + 3 free agent years) instead of just 2.

The funny thing is that if Heyward is really good over the next two years, it will almost certainly price him out of Atlanta's future and he will be gone. But, if he struggles with injuries and is prone to prolonged slumps, as he has been for the past few seasons, then he could re-sign with the Braves. So, as a fan, am I rooting for the guy to tear it up and go away or rooting for him to struggle a bit and stick around? Ha!

FWIW, I fully agree with the Braves decision to make a long play on Freeman, Kimbrell, Tehran, and Simmons, but not on Heyward. I'd be worried if we were locked into JHey for, say $12-$18 mil a season over 4+ years starting in 2016.

-Jason "JHey is not even a career .260 hitter but he does better in even numbered years so 2014 should be a good one for him" Evans

Olympic Fan
02-21-2014, 01:04 PM
-Jason "JHey is not even a career .260 hitter but he does better in even numbered years so 2014 should be a good one for him" Evans

It's a little disconcerting to see you quote defensive WAR in one post, then revert to batting average in another.

Heyward's offensive value is not reflected in BA ... he has posted some eye-opening OBP numbers -- not consistently, but over long stretches when he is healthy. He's had two relatively healthy years (2010 and 2012, when he played 142 and 158 games) and his OPS in these two seasons is well over .800. In his two unhealthy years (128 games in 2011 and 104 games last season), he's had OPS numbers of .708 (2011) and .776 (2013).

I'm really excited about seeing him continue his role as a leadoff hitter. In 30 games in that role late last season, he had an OBP of .400 and scored 31 runs -- if he could do that for a (healthy) season we're talking about 150-plus runs. Throw in that he's already won a Gold Glove and is a good base runner (32 SB with 14 CS in his two healthy years) and that's a pretty valuable package.

In my mind, the only reason not to gamble long-term on Heyward is his fragility. He's battled major injury issues in two of his three seasons. His apparent inconsistency stems almost entirely from his injury programs.

When healthy, Heyward is every bit the prospect that Freeman and company are.

I do have hope of re-signing him in two years ... he'll be up for free agency after 2015 -- that's the same time Uggla's $13m a year deal comes off the books. Hopefully, Atlanta can use some of that money to up the $7.8 million that JHey gets in 2015 (unfortunately, the Braves owe BJ Upton $15-16m through 2017)

Duvall
02-21-2014, 06:12 PM
Yup, looking at the totality of all the deals, it is clear that Heyward's is the one that shows the least long-term confidence and commitment by the team. Though, because he was so close to free agency anyway, I doubt they could have gotten a huge bargain on his free agent years had they tried to lock him up for -- for example -- 5 years (2 arb + 3 free agent years) instead of just 2.

The funny thing is that if Heyward is really good over the next two years, it will almost certainly price him out of Atlanta's future and he will be gone. But, if he struggles with injuries and is prone to prolonged slumps, as he has been for the past few seasons, then he could re-sign with the Braves. So, as a fan, am I rooting for the guy to tear it up and go away or rooting for him to struggle a bit and stick around? Ha!

It's important to note that we have no way of knowing what the Braves offered Heyward. It's entirely possible that the team offered Heyward a long-term extension and he turned it down, preferring to wait and see what his value would be after a potential healthy season.

Blue in the Face
02-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Nelson Cruz signs with the Orioles for 1 year, $8MM with some incentives. That could work out to be a great deal for them, albeit for just one year.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/22/report-orioles-closing-in-on-a-deal-with-nelson-cruz/

weezie
02-23-2014, 04:20 PM
Man, the Tigers play in Baltimore way too early this year....May 12, 13, 14?
Ugh.

Dev11
02-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Nelson Cruz signs with the Orioles for 1 year, $8MM with some incentives. That could work out to be a great deal for them, albeit for just one year.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/22/report-orioles-closing-in-on-a-deal-with-nelson-cruz/

Note that Cruz turned down a qualifying offer and ended up signing for considerably less than that, and the Orioles have sacrificed their first and second picks in this year's draft to sign Cruz and Jimenez. Neither party comes out of this signing looking great, although I guess you could argue that the O's got a slugger for under market value.

Duvall
03-10-2014, 03:27 PM
Wasn't expecting the Braves' season to be over before the end of the Duke basketball season, but "arm tightness" for Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy on back-to-back days seems to have things trending that way.

duke74
03-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Wasn't expecting the Braves' season to be over before the end of the Duke basketball season, but "arm tightness" for Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy on back-to-back days seems to have things trending that way.

Was watching yesterday's game. Medlen rubbed his arm on the immediately preceding pitch, and immediately walked off the field to the dugout and clubhouse after the last pitch. He obviously felt something on the first pitch.

JBDuke
03-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Was watching yesterday's game. Medlen rubbed his arm on the immediately preceding pitch, and immediately walked off the field to the dugout and clubhouse after the last pitch. He obviously felt something on the first pitch.

Well, the Medlen news isn't getting better: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10588754/kris-medlen-elbow-ligament-injury-mri-shows

Olympic Fan
03-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Well, the Medlen news isn't getting better: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10588754/kris-medlen-elbow-ligament-injury-mri-shows

I read the Ervin Santana signing as a sign that the news on Medlin/Beachy (one or both) isn't good. Santana is not great and he's overpriced at $14 million, but it's only a one-year deal and he should be a decent middle-of-the-rotation starter ... only 9-10, but with a 3,24 ERA last season in Kansas City.

A good stopgap.

jjasper0729
03-14-2014, 08:00 AM
I read the Ervin Santana signing as a sign that the news on Medlin/Beachy (one or both) isn't good. Santana is not great and he's overpriced at $14 million, but it's only a one-year deal and he should be a decent middle-of-the-rotation starter ... only 9-10, but with a 3,24 ERA last season in Kansas City.

A good stopgap.

Word is that Medlen needs another TJ surgery. Haven't read anything on Beachy.

Red Sox had a scare with Peavy and his fishing accident (sliced his hand and needed stitches). Word is they still could end up with Drew since Middlebrooks hasn't been lighting things up at the plate yet.

JBDuke
03-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Word is that Medlen needs another TJ surgery. Haven't read anything on Beachy.

Red Sox had a scare with Peavy and his fishing accident (sliced his hand and needed stitches). Word is they still could end up with Drew since Middlebrooks hasn't been lighting things up at the plate yet.

Thomas Boswell's column in the Washington Post on Wednesday talked about the danger of March to pitchers in general, but he discusses the Braves pretty extensively. Here's the link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/atlanta-braves-kris-medlen-illustrates-most-elusive-baseball-metric-pitchers-health/2014/03/12/41c4ab58-aa1b-11e3-b61e-8051b8b52d06_story.html

jjasper0729
03-21-2014, 08:10 AM
Don't know if anyone saw it, but best wishes to Aroldis Chapman after that nasty line drive to the face that he took. I know MLB has been trying to advocate padded caps at the very least for pitchers (now that base coaches have to wear the 60s style helmets in the coaches boxes) but something like that, unless he was wearing a little league softball pitchers helmet and face guard, he'd have been hit the same way.

weezie
03-22-2014, 12:32 PM
Tigers new flame throwing reliever, Bruce Rondon done for the year. TJ surgery.
Aaargh.

Jim3k
03-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Well, Weez, I'll match your Rondon loss with Jarrod Parker's TJ surgery (http://blog.sfgate.com/athletics/2014/03/17/as-jarrod-parker-to-miss-season-tommy-john-surgery-again/) (his second) but I'll raise you with A.J. Griffin being out for more than a month with flexor tendinitis (same article). And that's not to mention Cook's and Kazmir's troubles (http://blog.sfgate.com/athletics/2014/03/19/ryan-cook-scott-kazmir-updates-other-as-news/).

I think the A's starting rotation is in a bit of a shambles right now.

weezie
03-22-2014, 05:26 PM
Sorry, Jim3K...my boy Jose Iglesias on the DL for shin tendonitis.

And he's supposed to become my new Tiger favorite.

Deslok
03-22-2014, 10:01 PM
Even Red Sox fans were distressed to hear about Iglesias's serious injuries. One of the forums has a running thread called "Iggy porn" to showcase some of his more spectacular plays. We sold high on him regarding hitting, because I don't think anyone expects him to be more than a career .250 hitter, but everyone loves his glove.

duke74
03-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Here's a question to those who know more about this than I. Maybe it's another example of the proliferation of information sources now, but based on reading this thread and other news sources, it seems that there are a lot more Tommy John surgeries now. Has the procedure become that mundane that doctors are recommending it where in the past they wouldn't have? Has the technology made it a no brainer as an alternative? Or are career economics in play as a factor? (e.g., by this step, we can save a young pitcher's career - so the result justifies the risk, assuming there is still that risk)

Following Matt Harvey's progress (and desire to pitch this year), the thought sort of hit me. (BTW, as a Mets fan, we'd be stupid to push that outcome. No way we are playing "meaningful" games this September to even contemplate that possibility.)

weezie
03-23-2014, 01:33 PM
I have to apologize to Dave Dumbrowski, GM Tigs. I had no idea Fister had elbow issues in the off season.
But I hope Fister does feel better for the Nats heading into the season, as he said yesterday. Love watching him fling it from that 6'8" altitude.

Jim3k
03-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Sorry, Jim3K...my boy Jose Iglesias on the DL for shin tendonitis.

And he's supposed to become my new Tiger favorite.

Yeah, that's really unfortunate. Iglesias has a great career in front of him--unless he can't get past this.

But my post was referring to pitching staffs--self-inflicted arm injuries--not position players or even pitchers being hit in the face by line drives, like Aroldis Chapman.

Pitchers' arm injuries are the worst, IMO, because they are usually only doing what they are supposed to do. Their bodies fail despite proper training (hopefully), so their loss affects the teams' planning as well as their own expectations. Arm injuries are common enough, true, but still have an element of waste that others don't have. Ordinary injuries come from collisions or other types of contact (walls, players, diving, HBPs, etc.) and others come from their competitive nature (leg ligament injuries due to running hard). Pitchers can be injured in those ways, of course, but their arms are the reason they are out there. Their injuries just seem to have a different qualitative feature.

JasonEvans
03-25-2014, 12:08 PM
I have not followed other teams' spring training injuries, but is there any other team that has seen its #1, #2, and #3 starters all get injured during spring training or are the Braves unique in that regard? Sigh...

At least they expect Minor to come back by late April.

-Jason "for the first week or two of the season, until Santana is ready, the Braves aren't going to start anyone with more than a year or so of MLB experience" Evans

JBDuke
03-25-2014, 12:41 PM
One of the interesting side notes in the stories about the Nats' pitching rotation is the impressive spring by Chris Young. The Nats signed him to a minor league deal, but he can opt out of it this week if he's not placed on the major league roster. All signs for the Nats are saying that Fister is over his early arm concerns, and though he may miss his first start, he'll be a part of the rotation. (The opening week schedule allows the Nats to skip Fister's start but keep all the rest on their normal schedules. Fister got a late start on his spring training outings due to some tightness.) The fifth spot is now a battle between Roark and Jordan, with Young as a very unlikely third option.

Young is a former All-Star, and he may be hitting the free agent market in the next couple of days. There are rumors that the Nats are trying to trade him before that deadline, so that they don't come away empty-handed. And the team he goes to wouldn't have to get into a free agent bidding war.

Know any teams looking for a quality starting pitcher? ;-)

devildeac
03-25-2014, 02:39 PM
I have not followed other teams' spring training injuries, but is there any other team that has seen its #1, #2, and #3 starters all get injured during spring training or are the Braves unique in that regard? Sigh...

At least they expect Minor to come back by late April.

-Jason "for the first week or two of the season, until Santana is ready, the Braves aren't going to start anyone with more than a year or so of MLB experience" Evans

Plus, I saw in the Raleigh N&O this AM that they put 2 other players on the DL, both of whom are pitchers, so that's FIVE pitchers on that list. For now. Venters is one and I don't have the paper in front of me to name the other. :(:(

JasonEvans
03-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Plus, I saw in the Raleigh N&O this AM that they put 2 other players on the DL, both of whom are pitchers, so that's FIVE pitchers on that list. For now. Venters is one and I don't have the paper in front of me to name the other. :(:(

Gavin Floyd, who has been a starter for the White Sox for the past half dozen or so years. He was 17-8 with a 3.84 ERA in 2007 but has pretty much been a .500 pitcher with an ERA in the low-mid 4s since then. Nothing all that special.

-Jason "Floyd is on about the same timetable as Minor -- should be back in late April" Evans

weezie
03-27-2014, 08:50 PM
Miggy has either signed 8 yrs 248mil or 10 yrs 300mil.

Either way, he could BUY the city of Detroit for that kind of dough!

WOW!

Blue in the Face
03-28-2014, 10:54 AM

WOW!
The latest reports are that the deal is an 8 year extension (on top of the 2 he has left), plus 2 vesting years (at $30MM each). That could bring the total guarantee to him to $292MM over the next 10 years (through age 40), and potentially $60MM more for ages 41 and 42. He's certainly a guy you back the truck up for, but that's quite a back end.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24503261/cabrera-is-closing-in-on-extension-with-tigers

cspan37421
03-28-2014, 02:55 PM

WOW!

Weezie, you and I could buy the city of Detroit now for the money in our pockets. It's bankrupt!

Even the Silverdome - sold for under $600,000 not long ago. Cost $225 milliion to build in comparable dollars. Anyway ...

It is hard to envision a realistic financial scenario in which the Tigers have a whisker's chance of doing well with that Cabrera deal.

How many bad 8-10 year contracts made to guys in their early 30s need to be witnessed before teams stop doing them? A few more, I apparently.

weezie
03-28-2014, 06:30 PM
cspan, my dear, it's the wave of the future.

The owners may hate it but the players rejoice... the game is going to evolve to suit the talent.

JBDuke
03-28-2014, 11:33 PM
The battle for the #5 spot in the Nationals' rotation took an interesting turn today. The top 4 were lined up as: Strasburg, Gonzalez, Zimmermann, and Fister. Taylor Jordan and Tanner Roark were battling for the #5 spot, with that decision coming after both pitched in the last pre-season game this year - tomorrow here in DC.

Well, today, Doug Fister strained a lat muscle and has been placed on the 15-day DL. So Jordan and Roark will both make the rotation to start the season. So, the Nats' roster is set now.

Blue in the Face
03-30-2014, 02:08 PM
Mike Trout gets a mega-deal of his own, signing a 6 year extension for $144.5MM. He'll make $5MM, $15.25MM and $19.25MM from 2015 -- 2017, what would have been his arbitration seasons, and $33.25MM in each of 2018 - 2020, what would have been his first 3 years of free agency. Probably a pretty sizable discount from what he'd make in arb and free agency, but that's an awful lot of risk he just got rid of. His $1MM salary for 2014 is unchanged.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/29/details-of-mike-trouts-contract-extension-with-the-angels/