PDA

View Full Version : Shoot Em Up

JasonEvans
09-05-2007, 11:12 AM
I saw a screening of the new film Shoot Em Up staring Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti last night. It opens this weekend and is the MOST FUN I have had at the movies in a loooong time.

Now, I must stop this review to briefly mention that a healthy percentage of the population will HATE Shoot Em UP. It is violent and bloody and full of guns. If you are not a fan of violent films like Quentin Tarantino makes then you will not like this. There were a lot of poeple who walked out of the screening disgusted by the movie.

But, the rest of the crowd was quite litterally cheering throughout the entire movie. This is a tounge-in-cheek, humorous look at violence in film. It is all about having fun with the violence. I know that seems strange, but when you see this flick you will understand. I strongly recommend that you watch the trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/shootemup/) for this movie because it will give you a good idea of the kind of movie it is. If the trailer appeals to go- GO SEE IT!! You will not be disappointed.

The movie is so over-the-top, it is hysterical. There are at least 10 wild action/gunfight sequences and each is more insane than the last. By the end of the movie you will be dying to see what they can do next. Clive Owen kills bad guys (probably more than 100 of them) in such creative ways you will not believe it.

The movie starts with a tight closeup on Clive Owen's face, echoing a Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western. I'd say it takes about 1-minute for the action shoot-outs to start. The first gunfight happens while Clive Owen is delivering a baby. There is one that takes place while jumping out of a plane. There is another in a gun factory that is more like a puppet show than a gunfight. They even have a gunfight while Clive Owen and Monicca Belucci are having sex!! The final shoot-out happens even though Owen is no longer able to pull a trigger (must be seen to be believed).

I am stunned this movie was not released more in the middle of the summer. It would have been a huge $100+million hit if it had been released at a time when action-hungry high school and college-aged boys had little to do. I am telling you, that demographic will eat this film up and want to see it over-and-over again. Instead, the film gets released right after Labor Day when everyone is burried in the new school year. That is simply a crime and I fear Shoot Em Up may be overlooked as a result.

--Jason "you will NEVER look at a carrot the same way again in your life!!" Evans

Clipsfan
09-05-2007, 12:51 PM
I remember reading a review (probably Variety) on this film a month or so ago and while they said many of the same things as you I think that the overall tone was that the movie is over the top. I'm guessing that this is one of those movies that if you enter in the right mood can be a ton of fun, but that most people will expect something other than what it delivers and not enjoy it as much. I happen to like this sort of ridiculousness so I'll check it out, thanks for the review!

JasonEvans
09-07-2007, 05:30 PM
If anybody goes to check it out this weekend (or whenever) please post your thoughts here. I want to know if I am alone in loving it or if other also like it.

--Jason "plus, I am dying to talk about some of the wilder scenes... but don't want to spoil them" Evans