PDA

View Full Version : Spring (football) is in the air

roywhite
02-07-2014, 07:30 AM
As one of Duke football's finest fans reminded me, Coach Cutcliffe's classy Coastal Division champs start spring practice today February 7, with the Spring Game scheduled March 1.

Blue Devils Open Spring Practice on Friday (http://duke.scout.com/2/1373766.html)

“We start spring practice Friday, which is earlier than most people,” said Duke head coach David Cutcliffe, who earned ACC and National Coach of the Year honors last fall after guiding the Blue Devils to 10 wins and a berth in the 46th annual Chick-fil-A Bowl. “I like the momentum of this squad. I want to see our young people in an environment where we’re not putting a bunch of things in. We’re going to think players, not plays. I want to see our young people compete. I want to see them compete with the other guys that are older. If we’re putting too much in, then we’re stymieing a young player. This is one way to keep the coaches from putting too much in, by making them go to practice immediately. I think our squad is loving it. It allows them to finish before spring break.”

I prefer Coach Cut's vision of an early spring to the Groundhog's prediction, and look forward to news of the progress of some of our younger players.

Bob Green
02-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Football is in the air, and that is exciting, but it is the middle of Winter no matter how you slice it so we can drop the "Spring" practice facade. Winter practice has commenced.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-07-2014, 09:04 AM
When I first heard the date of spring practice this year, I wondered why so early now. The team's been in a bowl. Coach Cutcliffe had been structuring the calendar so that no bowl meant earlier spring practice. Turns out the team likes the early start and likes finishing before spring break. They want to keep their momentum from the bowl game going. Other pluses include a longer interval for planning for the fall camp and for any healing that may be needed.

It may be harder for us fans to endure the unpredictable weather of early March, but we've seen the benefits of the early schedule in the past. Our guys will be finished before Carolina even starts!!!

loran16
02-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Another reason is it gives another month for guys to recover from spring game injuries.

-jk
02-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Isn't this why we have the indoor practice barn?

-jk

Reilly
02-07-2014, 09:55 AM
In his press conference, Cut said it also frees up the staff to focus on recruiting during an open spring recruiting season. That seems like it would be a competitive advantage for us, if our staff can devote 100% of its time then, while other staffs have less time due to their own spring practices.

Dev11
02-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Isn't this why we have the indoor practice barn?

-jk

The indoor facility consists of just one 100-yard field. I imagine that during some parts of practice, certain drills may be moved outdoors.

Reilly
02-07-2014, 10:05 AM
No barn in sight ...

https://twitter.com/MandyWRAL/status/431794482993176576/photo/1

devildeac
02-07-2014, 10:21 AM
I'll be happy to see spring football in the air 50% and on the ground 50%. Or something like that. After all, we have some really good RB;).

roywhite
02-07-2014, 10:20 PM
Highlights from Day 1 of Spring Football (http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=3188451&db_oem_id=4200)

video from goduke.com -- may need to choose the video from the menu on the right side.

Team looked to be eager and moving well; some action inside, mostly outdoors; nice to see #1 QB Thomas Sirk in action (#1 is just his jersey number, at least for now)

DukeHLM'13
02-07-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm just upset that with the loss of Roper (and the staff that he took with him to UF) that I lost my main source of free football tickets. I guess this means more watching on TV this year than last.

But, in all seriousness, spring practice means a start to what will hopefully be another amazing year for Duke football. I don't know if we can realistically hope for the same results that we had last season, but I'm also not expecting much of a drop off and I'm certainly looking forward to another bowl trip around Christmas time.

Bob Green
02-08-2014, 01:56 PM
...spring practice means a start to what will hopefully be another amazing year for Duke football. I don't know if we can realistically hope for the same results that we had last season, but I'm also not expecting much of a drop off and I'm certainly looking forward to another bowl trip around Christmas time.

The team has the potential to be better in 2014! That's right, I said better. Of course that doesn't mean we will end up with a better record as a lot of little things went Duke's way during 2013's magical 10-4 run.

Why do I believe we could be better in 2014? Taking a look at who left, who returns, potential strengths, potential weaknesses, question marks, and the balance sheet ends up heavier on the positives side. I'll take a stab at breaking down a few things.

Who left: Any analysis of potential holes in the line-up has to start with the graduation of CB Ross Cockrell. It is a luxury to have a CB who can neutralize the opponent's top receiver or shutdown half the field. Cockrell was a special talent and he is gone. From my perspective, who replaces Cockrell is the biggest question to be answered.

Special Teams: Our kicker (Ross Martin), Punter (Will Monday), Long Snapper (Thomas Hennessy), Kick Returner (Devon Edwards) and Punt Returner (Jamison Crowder) all return in 2014. This is a big deal as strong special teams play is critical to success. Chalk up special teams as a check mark in the potential strengths category.

Defensive line: This will be a potential weakness again in 2014 as it has been the past several years. Gone to graduation are Kenny Anunike, Justin Foxx and Sydney Sarmiento. That's a lot of experience no longer available. However, there are talented and experience players returning such as Jamal Bruce, Carlos Wray, Dezmond Johnson and Jonathan Jones (Woodruff). This area also contains two question marks. Can Jamal Wallace return from the serious injury he suffered in 2013? Can highly touted recruit Edgar Cerenord contribute as a true freshman?

Sticking with the defense, because defense wins championships, as the Seattle Seahawks recently demonstrated, the secondary as a whole is a potential strength and the linebacking corps will be solid. Jeremy Cash should be a star at safety, and the trio of true freshmen who stepped up and turned the tide in 2013 will be a year more experienced. Linebacker could use a boost in depth to support starters Kelby Brown and David Helton so the health of Kyler Brown and C.J. France is worth keeping an eye on.

Turning to the offense, I see potential strength on top of potential strength. Yes, we lost a few key contributors such as Dave Harding, Perry Simmons, Brandon Braxton and Juwan Thompson. But the offense is talented and deep so those players can be replaced.

Quarterback: What's not to like? Anthony Boone and Brandon Connette are both fifth year seniors who grew by leaps and bounds in 2013 sharing the starting role. Plus, Thomas Sirk is healthy and available. My guess is Sirk will move into the #2 slot behind starter Anthony Boone, which will free up Brandon Connette to return to the Phantom role full time. With Parker Boehme and Quay Chambers (who could augment Connette at Phantom) also in the mix, QB could be the deepest position on the team.

Receivers: Jamison Crowder is a returning All America while Braxton Deaver made ESPN's All Bowl Team. That's a nice start! Add in Max McCaffrey, Isaac Blakeney, Johnell Barnes, David Reeves and Ryan Smith and it is easy to see depth accompanies talent at the top. Receiver is definitely a potential strength. There are youngsters who will compete for playing time as well. Trevon Lee, Terrence Alls, T.J. Douglas and Chris Taylor are all names to keep in mind.

Running Backs: There is no doubt we took a big blow with the suspension of Jela Duncan. For starters, Duncan was a powerful blocker who led the way on a lot of Connette's touchdown runs. Oh well, water under the bridge so we have to move on. The four running back rotation should be maintained with experienced Josh Snead and Shaq Powell being augmented by redshirt freshman Joseph Ajeigbe and true freshman Shaun Wilson. However, with two freshmen in the mix, running back has to be labeled a question mark.

Offensive line: I recently posted my thoughts on the OL in another thread so I'll keep it short here. The offensive line is a potential strength as we return five of our top seven lineman in terms of snaps played in 2013. Plus there are some potential future stars amongst the underclassmen. Tanner Stone, Austin Davis and Sterling Korona are names Duke fans will hear a lot in the future, perhaps starting in 2014. There is a lot to like here.

Redshirt freshmen and freshmen: Who steps up and makes an impact? That's the big question. There are lots of candidates starting with wide receiver Trevon Lee, defensive tackle Edgar Cerenord and running back Shaun Wilson plus running back Joseph Ajeigbe, defensive tackle Mike Ramsay and cornerback Evrett Edwards among others. Freshmen provided a big boost in 2013. Can it happen again in 2014?

Finally, this is football, so the intangible of intangibles is injuries. The team was relatively healthy throughout 2013, but devastated by injuries in 2012. Will 2014 be somewhere in the middle?

That's a whole lot of talking (typing) so hopefully I communicated something somebody will find useful.

TruBlu
02-08-2014, 05:06 PM
That's a whole lot of talking (typing) so hopefully I communicated something somebody will find useful.

Yes you did! As usual.

killerleft
02-08-2014, 09:51 PM
The team has the potential to be better in 2014! That's right, I said better. Of course that doesn't mean we will end up with a better record as a lot of little things went Duke's way during 2013's magical 10-4 run.

Why do I believe we could be better in 2014? Taking a look at who left, who returns, potential strengths, potential weaknesses, question marks, and the balance sheet ends up heavier on the positives side. I'll take a stab at breaking down a few things.

Who left: Any analysis of potential holes in the line-up has to start with the graduation of CB Ross Cockrell. It is a luxury to have a CB who can neutralize the opponent's top receiver or shutdown half the field. Cockrell was a special talent and he is gone. From my perspective, who replaces Cockrell is the biggest question to be answered.

Special Teams: Our kicker (Ross Martin), Punter (Will Monday), Long Snapper (Thomas Hennessy), Kick Returner (Devon Edwards) and Punt Returner (Jamison Crowder) all return in 2014. This is a big deal as strong special teams play is critical to success. Chalk up special teams as a check mark in the potential strengths category.

Defensive line: This will be a potential weakness again in 2014 as it has been the past several years. Gone to graduation are Kenny Anunike, Justin Foxx and Sydney Sarmiento. That's a lot of experience no longer available. However, there are talented and experience players returning such as Jamal Bruce, Carlos Wray, Dezmond Johnson and Jonathan Jones (Woodruff). This area also contains two question marks. Can Jamal Wallace return from the serious injury he suffered in 2013? Can highly touted recruit Edgar Cerenord contribute as a true freshman?

Sticking with the defense, because defense wins championships, as the Seattle Seahawks recently demonstrated, the secondary as a whole is a potential strength and the linebacking corps will be solid. Jeremy Cash should be a star at safety, and the trio of true freshmen who stepped up and turned the tide in 2013 will be a year more experienced. Linebacker could use a boost in depth to support starters Kelby Brown and David Helton so the health of Kyler Brown and C.J. France is worth keeping an eye on.

Turning to the offense, I see potential strength on top of potential strength. Yes, we lost a few key contributors such as Dave Harding, Perry Simmons, Brandon Braxton and Juwan Thompson. But the offense is talented and deep so those players can be replaced.

Quarterback: What's not to like? Anthony Boone and Brandon Connette are both fifth year seniors who grew by leaps and bounds in 2013 sharing the starting role. Plus, Thomas Sirk is healthy and available. My guess is Sirk will move into the #2 slot behind starter Anthony Boone, which will free up Brandon Connette to return to the Phantom role full time. With Parker Boehme and Quay Chambers (who could augment Connette at Phantom) also in the mix, QB could be the deepest position on the team.

Receivers: Jamison Crowder is a returning All America while Braxton Deaver made ESPN's All Bowl Team. That's a nice start! Add in Max McCaffrey, Isaac Blakeney, Johnell Barnes, David Reeves and Ryan Smith and it is easy to see depth accompanies talent at the top. Receiver is definitely a potential strength. There are youngsters who will compete for playing time as well. Trevon Lee, Terrence Alls, T.J. Douglas and Chris Taylor are all names to keep in mind.

Running Backs: There is no doubt we took a big blow with the suspension of Jela Duncan. For starters, Duncan was a powerful blocker who led the way on a lot of Connette's touchdown runs. Oh well, water under the bridge so we have to move on. The four running back rotation should be maintained with experienced Josh Snead and Shaq Powell being augmented by redshirt freshman Joseph Ajeigbe and true freshman Shaun Wilson. However, with two freshmen in the mix, running back has to be labeled a question mark.

Offensive line: I recently posted my thoughts on the OL in another thread so I'll keep it short here. The offensive line is a potential strength as we return five of our top seven lineman in terms of snaps played in 2013. Plus there are some potential future stars amongst the underclassmen. Tanner Stone, Austin Davis and Sterling Korona are names Duke fans will hear a lot in the future, perhaps starting in 2014. There is a lot to like here.

Redshirt freshmen and freshmen: Who steps up and makes an impact? That's the big question. There are lots of candidates starting with wide receiver Trevon Lee, defensive tackle Edgar Cerenord and running back Shaun Wilson plus running back Joseph Ajeigbe, defensive tackle Mike Ramsay and cornerback Evrett Edwards among others. Freshmen provided a big boost in 2013. Can it happen again in 2014?

Finally, this is football, so the intangible of intangibles is injuries. The team was relatively healthy throughout 2013, but devastated by injuries in 2012. Will 2014 be somewhere in the middle?

As usual, Bob, very useful indeed. I gotta spread some sporkies around, evidently.

Olympic Fan
02-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Just to add to your excellent summary, Bob:

-- The big question on the offensive line is where does Lucas Patrick start? He started the Bowl game at OT (in place on injured senior Perry Williams), but his best position is guard. If Tanner Stone is healthy enough to take the open tackle spot, Patrick can replace David Harding at guard. If not, Patrick probably stays at tackle and Cody Robinson gets the guard spot. Not bad either way, but the first scenario is the best case. The other three starting line spots are returning starters -- Tomlinson is an All-ACC quality guard, Skura a solid center and Cofield a solid tackle.

-- Thomas Sirk. The Duke coaches have always believed that Sirk has star potential at QB. He's a Colin Kapernick-style guy -- a slender 6-5 with 4.5 speed and a rifle arm. But he's coming off a horrific injury that has sidelined him since last spring. His development is crucial -- for the 2015 season. We still have Boone-Connette for next season, but unless we develop a young QB this year, we go into next season with a big question mark at the most important position on the field.

-- The redshirts. Bob mentions the incoming guys like Lee, Cernord and Wilson -- and they are key, but they won't be here until August. For spring, focus on the redshirts -- the ones we need most are Mike Ramsey at DT, Dom McDonald at LB and RB Joseph Ajeigbe. There are also a ton of young guys vying to get in the rotation in the secondary. I'm also interested in seeing if two guys who played a very little last year at WR -- Ryan Smith and Anthony Nash -- can expand their roles. Both have a HUGE upside.

nocilla
02-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Duke Football ‏@Duke_FB ·2 hrs
#Duke position changes of note: Kyler Brown to DE from LB; Chris Holmes to LB from S; Quay Chambers to WR from QB. #GoDuke

My first thought; Is Kyler big enough to play DE?

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Kyler, Kelby's younger but larger brother, is listed at 6' 4", 240 lb. I think that's big enough for a DE, don't you? Kyler has a lot of lateral flexibility which might be very handy at that spot. He's big without being heavy set.

Dev11
02-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Well, DE had lost the most depth and experience, so it makes sense to shift some experience that way. Safety and QB were relatively deep positions already. I'm not surprised they moved one of the QBs with two more QBs on the way in this year (one already on campus for this month's workouts). Look for some fun play-calling with both Chambers and Connette on the field not under center.

Perhaps they are putting Kyler Brown on Kyle Singler's freshman and sophomore year diet. That seemed to be pretty effective.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Well, DE had lost the most depth and experience, so it makes sense to shift some experience that way. Safety and QB were relatively deep positions already. I'm not surprised they moved one of the QBs with two more QBs on the way in this year (one already on campus for this month's workouts). Look for some fun play-calling with both Chambers and Connette on the field not under center.

Perhaps they are putting Kyler Brown on Kyle Singler's freshman and sophomore year diet. That seemed to be pretty effective.
I'm just thinking of the great possibilities with two Brown brothers on the field at the same time.

devildeac
02-10-2014, 10:18 PM
I'm just thinking of the great possibilities with two Brown brothers on the field at the same time.

Maybe they can cause repeated "Brown outs" with our foes' offenses:D.

CameronBornAndBred
02-12-2014, 01:14 PM

I'm not surprised they moved one of the QBs with two more QBs on the way in this year (one already on campus for this month's workouts). Look for some fun play-calling with both Chambers and Connette on the field not under center.
I found an interesting tidbit about maybe not seeing him at anywhere but under center.

The coaching staff is taking a look at 2014 senior Brandon Connette exclusively at quarterback. Connette has played a hybrid role, often lining up as a tight end or in the backfield. Cutcliffe said it’s important to allow Connette’s full attention to be on the quarterback role.
http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/acc-sports/blue-devils-jump-right-into-spring-football-workouts-1.275763

budwom
02-12-2014, 04:56 PM
I found an interesting tidbit about maybe not seeing him at anywhere but under center.

http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/acc-sports/blue-devils-jump-right-into-spring-football-workouts-1.275763

As much as we lined Connette up elsewhere, we actually used him precious little....might was well just stick with QB.

Bob Green
02-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Duke held a 70 play situational scrimmage this morning:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209415830&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Three QBs combined to throw four touchdowns, while the defense recorded three interceptions.

jv001
02-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Duke held a 70 play situational scrimmage this morning:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209415830&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Three QBs combined to throw four touchdowns, while the defense recorded three interceptions.

Bob, thanks for the Duke Football link. Maybe I missed it, but do you know which QBs threw the interceptions. GoDuke!

Bob Green
02-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Maybe I missed it, but do you know which QBs threw the interceptions.

Watching the scrimmage highlights video clip, it is apparent Boone threw two interceptions. I do not know who threw the third.

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=3207528&db_oem_id=4200

jafarr1
02-25-2014, 01:29 AM
As much as we lined Connette up elsewhere, we actually used him precious little....might was well just stick with QB.

The Boone and Sirk injuries had a lot to do with that, at least last season.

BigWayne
02-25-2014, 06:17 PM
It could happen.......

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10507319/duck-commander-sponsor-indepedence-bowl

Olympic Fan
02-26-2014, 02:02 AM
It could happen.......

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10507319/duck-commander-sponsor-indepedence-bowl

God, I hope not ...

Duvall
02-26-2014, 02:15 AM
It could happen.......

On the plus side, we now have a reason to skip any Duke bowl trips to Shreveport without feeling guilty.

BigWayne
02-26-2014, 03:40 AM
On the plus side, we now have a reason to skip any Duke bowl trips to Shreveport without feeling guilty.

I'm a duck hunter BTW, but I still don't ever want to go to Shreveport.

budwom
02-26-2014, 11:49 AM
I enjoy duck hunting in Thai restaurants, especially canards of the crispy variety...

Bob Green
02-28-2014, 10:37 AM
Bumping this back-to-the-top with a reminder the Spring Game is tomorrow at 12 pm. Anyone reasonably close, who has open time on their schedule, should consider attending the Spring Game. Admittance is free, parking is free, there is no basketball game to watch and, most important, the football team has earned our support with last season's historic 10 wins.

Olympic Fan
02-28-2014, 12:51 PM
The article includes some updates about Duke heading into the spring game:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209420892&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Sirk is nursing a sore hamstring, but is expecting to play. Duke will be without Tacoby Cofield and Jamal Bruce ....

Some good words about some youngsters -- especially Mike Ramsey.

Bob Green
02-28-2014, 03:45 PM
Some good words about some youngsters -- especially Mike Ramsey.

I'd say excellent words about Mike Ramsay:

Wray is also expecting big things from Ramsay.

“Mike has truly developed since he’s gotten here,” Wray said. “He’s probably the most natural pass rusher we have on the defensive line. He has great feet. He shoots his hands. He’s explosive off the ball. I believe he is the guy who can come in and make an impact up front."

Chris Holmes switching position from safety to linebacker and Kyler Brown switching from linebacker to defensive end are earning solid early reviews:

“I think he [Chris Holmes] is an extremely, extremely fine prospect at linebacker,” Cutcliffe said. “He has had a really fine spring.”

“That move for him [Kyler Brown] has not been a good one, but an outstanding one,” Cutcliffe said. “I’m very pleased with that.”

Acymetric
03-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Anyone else tuning in on ESPN3?

Scorp4me
03-01-2014, 01:26 PM

Sorry I'm confused. Besides the location, what's the reason?

60sDukie
03-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Anyone else tuning in on ESPN3?

Yes - just watched it. Can't wait for football!

Bob Green
03-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Unfortunately I have to start with potentially bad news. Lucas Patrick was injured in the first series and did not return. He hurt his right leg and was down for a bit and when helped off the field was not putting his right foot on the ground at all. It appeared to be an ankle or knee injury.

The game was a true Blue - White game which says a lot about our depth. The only exceptions are Hennessy handled long snap duties for both squads and Will Monday held for extra points for both squads.

Redshirt freshman running back Joseph Ajeigbe was very impressive for the white team. He is a strong runner and caught a couple of swing passes and ran for good yards after the catch. He is the new guy I walked away from the scrimmage most impressed by.

Thomas Sirk displayed strong running skills with both White TDs being on QB keepers. His passing was nothing special.

Boone had a forgettable afternoon. He displayed zero passing accuracy and the offense sputtered when he played. Connette looked good. He threw a great TD pass to Max McCaffrey. He also ran a couple of decent QB keepers.

Shaq Powell rushed for a ~30 yard TD on 4th and 1. The play was identical to the one he had against Miami.

Dez Johnson was impressive at DE. He had at least one QB sack (I think 2) and pressured Sirk all afternoon.

Johnell Barnes was steady for the Blue. Ryan Smith had a very nice TD reception for the Blue but I can't remember if Boone or Connette threw the pass.

No interceptions but there should have been a couple if the DBs hadn't dropped them. Josh Snead lost a fumble.

Finally, the game started under overcast skies but ended under blue skies and brilliant sunshine. No rain! Overall, a great afternoon in Wallace Wade Stadium.

Bob Green
03-01-2014, 06:40 PM
I just read the Goduke.com recap. Connette threw the TD pass to Ryan Smith.

bedeviled
03-02-2014, 01:53 AM
ESPN College Football (@ESPNCFB) (https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB/status/439974849960607744/photo/1) gave Duke some social media attention with the following tweet (though most responses appear to bemoan our weak schedule):

QB Brandon Connette threw for 121 yards (11-16) & 2 TDs in the @Duke_FB Spring game.
Replay: http://es.pn/1dOth5d
pic.twitter.com/9ihN0cLdsZ

devildeac
03-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Interesting, as Bob and I chatted about AB and BC, we thought AB had trouble delivering the ball to receivers with accuracy. Well, it wasn't an accuracy problem. It was a yardage problem. He was 10/13 but only accounted for 33 yards. That's just kind of strange, but I guess he had orders to stay with the simple routes.

PDDuke85
03-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Unfortunately I have to start with potentially bad news. Lucas Patrick was injured in the first series and did not return. He hurt his right leg and was down for a bit and when helped off the field was not putting his right foot on the ground at all. It appeared to be an ankle or knee injury.

Bob et al,
Any injury update on Lucas Patrick? Seeing his running back roll up on his leg from behind just looked ugly. I pray his injury is minor.

Bob Green
03-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Bob et al,
Any injury update on Lucas Patrick? Seeing his running back roll up on his leg from behind just looked ugly. I pray his injury is minor.

I haven't heard anything yet, but expect an update will be released sometime this coming week.

Bob Green
03-04-2014, 12:47 PM

CameronBornAndBred
03-04-2014, 02:08 PM
Better now than in the summer, and better at the spring game than at the beginning of practice.

Reilly
03-04-2014, 02:12 PM
And better an ankle than a knee, right? (assuming it's an ankle)

dpslaw
03-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Better now than in the summer, and better at the spring game than at the beginning of practice.

Even better at the late winter game!

Bob Green
04-06-2014, 02:42 PM
Remember Coach Cutcliffe talking about the importance of speed when he first arrived at Duke? Well check this out:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22490&SPID=1835&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209454824&DB_OEM_ID=4200

The men’s 4x100, comprised of redshirt freshman DeVon Edwards, freshman Ryan Smith and redshirt juniors Issac Blakeney and Josh Snead, kick-started the first-place finishes for the Blue Devils during the meet, capturing the victory in a time of 41.32. The relay, made up of four members of Duke’s football team, finished nearly a half second ahead of the second-place finishing relay. The relay’s time ranks second on Duke’s all-time list.

uh_no
04-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Remember Coach Cutcliffe talking about the importance of speed when he first arrived at Duke? Well check this out:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22490&SPID=1835&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209454824&DB_OEM_ID=4200

wow...that's really really impressive.

to give some context: that would have been the third fastest HS time in the country last year....and only about .4 off the fastest HS time last year.

for college context, NCAAs was won in 38.53 last year, but that time would have put them in third in the ACC....so...wowza. great job guys. duke didn't enter a 4x1 at ACC's last year....wonder if we'll see them out there again!

roywhite
04-06-2014, 04:39 PM
wow...that's really really impressive.

to give some context: that would have been the third fastest HS time in the country last year....and only about .4 off the fastest HS time last year.

for college context, NCAAs was won in 38.53 last year, but that time would have put them in third in the ACC....so...wowza. great job guys. duke didn't enter a 4x1 at ACC's last year....wonder if we'll see them out there again!

..and I see from the linked article that DeVon Edwards is running in the open 100 meters, where he had a time of 10.73 in one of the heats and 10.80 in the final. No wonder he seems to pull away from tacklers on his kick and interception returns.

And a side note for track geeks (of which there are a few on these boards):

The Blue Devils 4x400m relay, comprised of four decathletes in freshman Chaz Hawkins, junior Ian Rock, sophomore Robert Rohner and redshirt senior Curtis Beach earned a first-place finish in the event after running a school-record time of 3:11.74. After Hawkins and Rock combined for a split of 1:38.13 over the first two legs, Rohner received the baton in second place. Rohner moved the Blue Devil relay into first with a 47.50 split before handing off to Beach, who closed the relay in a time of 46.12. The 4x400’s performance marked one of five first-place finishes on the day and one of three school-record efforts over the afternoon’s competition.

Nice job by the multi-event guys in putting together a school record 4 x 400. Quite an anchor by Curtis Beach.

Bob Green
04-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Several interesting tweets:

Blue Devil Nation ‏@BlueDevilNation · 4h
In good news, Cut said Lucas Patrick is in rehab and avoided surgery. Helps with the OL big time. He also said all pretty healthy.

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley · 3h
Cutcliffe is the head of the ACC Coaches committee. Says coaches prefer 8 conference games, as opposed to 9 (a @DavidTeelatDP question)

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley · 3h
Thomas Sirk has a lot of the same running attributes as Brandon Connette, Cut says. Parker Boehme, too

Blue Devil Nation ‏@BlueDevilNation · 3h
Coach Cut just said developing a backup QB due to Connete's departure and developing them is a goal moving forward

Bob Green
04-24-2014, 04:42 PM
In this Herald-Sun article:

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/duke/x1505312065/QBs-are-topic-No-1-as-Cutcliffe-Fedora-both-weigh-in

Coach Cutcliffe talks about the QB situation. While discussing Thomas Sirk, who missed his entire redshirt freshman season due to an Achilles rupture, Coach Cutcliffe states:

“He’s had a lot of meaningful reps, which has been good in practice,” Cutcliffe said. “Our practices are intense. It’s not game snaps. But he’s gotten better.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-24-2014, 05:38 PM
In this Herald-Sun article:

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/duke/x1505312065/QBs-are-topic-No-1-as-Cutcliffe-Fedora-both-weigh-in

Coach Cutcliffe talks about the QB situation. While discussing Thomas Sirk, who missed his entire redshirt freshman season due to an Achilles rupture, Coach Cutcliffe states:
As you know, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Thomas can do since I hold very high expectations for him. Everything I've learned about him and his family suggests that he's very special and has the potential of being a game changer on the field.

Parker has shown some noteworthy potential given all that took place for him since he first enrolled.

What a treat to have such depth at this crucial position!

PS I understand that Alabama's not so fortunate regarding QB depth for 2014...... curious considering the depth of flashy talent at so many positions.

Bob Green
05-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Lucas Patrick ‏@lucaspatrick67 ·38m
Feels good to be able to wear two shoes!!

This is a big step forward toward establishing OL depth.

jimsumner
05-01-2014, 12:44 PM
This is a big step forward toward establishing OL depth.

Patrick is a lot more than just depth. A healthy Patrick starts at either LG or RT. He has a chance to be really, really good.

Olympic Fan
05-01-2014, 12:49 PM
Patrick is a lot more than just depth. A healthy Patrick starts at either LG or RT. He has a chance to be really, really good.

Agree ... the plan is that he starts at LG, if healthy. Guard has always been his best spot -- but he's so good that he was able to fill in for an injured Perry Williams at tackle during the bowl game.

Cut said that he expects Patrick to have a "normal" summer preparing for the season.

He has a chance to be our second-best OL ... behind senior Laken Tomlinson.

Bob Green
05-01-2014, 01:03 PM

My wording was poor as I understand a healthy Patrick will be a starter. His performance, in the bowl game, against Texas A&M was huge. Our OL was very good last season and Patrick regaining his health is critical to the OL being just as good or better in 2014.

jimsumner
05-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Agree ... the plan is that he starts at LG, if healthy. Guard has always been his best spot -- but he's so good that he was able to fill in for an injured Perry Williams at tackle during the bowl game.

Cut said that he expects Patrick to have a "normal" summer preparing for the season.

He has a chance to be our second-best OL ... behind senior Laken Tomlinson.

Perry Simmons called and wants his name back. :)

Olympic Fan
05-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Perry Simmons called and wants his name back. :)

Damn ... that's the second time I have done that ... I've got to have some mental block...

Mea culpa

jimsumner
05-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Let's get back to Patrick for a second.

Duke loses two starters on the OL, LG Dave Harding and RT Perry Simmons.

Olympic Fan is correct. Guard is Patrick's best position and if that's the only variable, then slotting him in at Harding's spot is a no-brainer.

But let me throw a fly into the ointment. Let's assume for the sack of argument that Patrick starts at LG. Who starts at RT? Duke had hoped Tanner Stone would fill that slot. But Stone missed all of last season with an injury, after taking a non-injury redshirt as a true freshman. So, we're talking about a guy who hasn't played since high school, in 2011. The Duke coaches are very high on Stone and he may be the best long-term solution. But this isn't five years ago and Duke shouldn't accept long-term benefits at the cost of losing an early winnable game while trying to develop an inexperienced player. IMO.

Other options at RT? Sam Marshall? Casey Blaser? Carson Ginn? These seem like depth guys to me. Blaser could turn out to be more but he's also had injury issues that have kept him off the field.

Hopefully, I'm being a worry-wart and Tanner Stone is the best thing since chocolate-chip cookies.

But if he's not? Duke could put Patrick in at RT and go with Cody Robinson at LG. I have a lot more confidence in Robinson as an ACC-level starter than I do in Marshall, Blaser or Ginn.

So, perhaps the question isn't whether Patrick is best suited for guard or tackle but instead is a Patrick-Robinson combo better than a Patrick-Stone combo?

Obviously, if this has occurred to me, it has occurred to the coaches and I trust them to make the most-informed decisions possible. They have a pretty good track record. So, just some off-season food for thought.

Olympic Fan
05-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Jim, you lay out the situation correctly.

But maybe I'm more confident about Stone ... he went through spring workouts without a nick and looked very solid. Patrick's flexibility helps ... and I agree that Cody Robinson is the next option is something happens to any of the projected starters. In fact, he and redshirt freshman C Austin Davis are the two backups with the most potential.

Stone's career bears a remarkable similarity to Patrick's. Both were stars in the preseason camp as redshirt freshman -- good enough that the coaches were talking about them pushing veterans for playing time and maybe a starting job. But both suffered serious injuries just before the opener and both missed their second year.

Health is (always) a concern. But with good luck there, I think we'll see Stone at OT and Patrick at OG in the starting lineup.

Bob Green
05-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Obviously, if this has occurred to me, it has occurred to the coaches and I trust them to make the most-informed decisions possible. They have a pretty good track record. So, just some off-season food for thought.

I agree with everything you are saying. My post below is from before the injury to Lucas Patrick:

The offensive line will remain a strength. Dave Harding (LG) and Perry Simmons (RT) graduate; however, Lucas Patrick and Cody Robinson will step right into the rotation so five of our top seven lineman, in terms of snaps played in 2013, will return. The unknown is Tanner Stone and how he recovers from his broken ankle/surgery. A healthy Tanner Stone at right tackle allows Lucas Patrick to return to playing left guard, which is his strongest position. Patrick moved to right tackle when Perry Simmons was injured during the ACCCG.

The two most likely scenarios for starting line up are:

1. Matt Skura (C), Cody Robinson (LG), Laken Tomlinson (RG), Takoby Cofield (LT), Lucas Patrick (RT)

2. Matt Skura (C), Lucas Patrick (LG), Laken Tomlinson (RG), Takoby Cofield (LT), Tanner Stone (RT)

I'm amped up for more football success and a strong offensive line will be critical. The tweet from Lucas Patrick this morning made me smile.

Bob Green
05-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Post-spring Top 25 from CBS Sports has Duke at #24:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24552506/post-spring-top-25-welcome-back-to-the-top-spot-alabama

The only other ACC school listed is FSU at #3.

Duvall
05-06-2014, 08:26 PM

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24552506/post-spring-top-25-welcome-back-to-the-top-spot-alabama

Orange Bowl?

roywhite
05-06-2014, 08:30 PM

Yeah, though I wonder if they simply forgot Clemson. Not in the top 25, and not listed among 14 teams also receiving consideration? I know they lost Tahj Boyd, Sammy Watkins, and others, but I think Clemson will be up there somewhere. They do have a tough schedule, though.

CameronBornAndBred
05-06-2014, 08:43 PM
This is going to be fun (or not!) to see how Duke handles expectations of success for a change.

arnie
05-06-2014, 08:58 PM
This is going to be fun (or not!) to see how Duke handles expectations of success for a change.

Realize this poll is not "official", but when were we last ranked in a preseason football poll? Early 60's maybe?

-jk
05-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Realize this poll is not "official", but when were we last ranked in a preseason football poll? Early 60's maybe?

Do you count "also receiving votes"? ;)

-jk

CameronBornAndBred
05-06-2014, 09:49 PM
The poll I am most looking forward to will be the ACC media poll. Every year we get thrown in the basement...even last year after going to a bowl for the first time in a generation. This SHOULD be the year that finally changes. We'll see what old habits return by voting day.
And I do mean what I say about the team playing to meet expectations; they've never had to do it. "We're here to prove our doubters wrong" has been the mantra of every season, and it obviously can't be this year. They WILL have expectations to live up to, and that can be a big challenge when you've not faced that scenario before. I have faith though; this should be a fun and successful year.

CameronBornAndBred
05-20-2014, 12:16 PM
The poll I am most looking forward to will be the ACC media poll. Every year we get thrown in the basement...even last year after going to a bowl for the first time in a generation. This SHOULD be the year that finally changes. We'll see what old habits return by voting day.

What a shock...:rolleyes:

First early prediction has rolled in. At least Duke is not at the bottom.

1) Florida State
15) Clemson
19) North Carolina
26) Miami
35) Virginia Tech
41) Pitt
42) Duke
47) Georgia Tech
50) Louisville
55) Syracuse
61) Virginia
70) NC State
80) Boston College
97) Wake Forest

One interesting point is one that many of us at the ACC blog have seemed to drive home a lot lately: What's with the underselling of Duke? The Blue Devils are the reigning ACC Coastal Division champions and have all of the pieces in place to make another run, yet there they are behind four other division teams.

I predicted before the season ended that all the top 25 rankings and high hopes would be forgotten once again when the season rolls into place; I still think that is true. This seems to lend some backbone to that belief. I'm still most interested in the ACC preseason poll, my guess is they have us third or fourth in the Coastal, I'll be pleasantly surprised if we are placed higher. Of course, it's the end of the year that matters, but it would be nice to get some earned respect for once.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/70521/fsu-tops-preseason-football-power-index

Duvall
05-20-2014, 12:25 PM
I predicted before the season ended that all the top 25 rankings and high hopes would be forgotten once again when the season rolls into place; I still think that is true. This seems to lend some backbone to that belief. I'm still most interested in the ACC preseason poll, my guess is they have us third or fourth in the Coastal, I'll be pleasantly surprised if we are placed higher. Of course, it's the end of the year that matters, but it would be nice to get some earned respect for once.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/70521/fsu-tops-preseason-football-power-index

Preseason FPI? Oh, ESPN. (http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/95202/fsu-leads-preseason-fpi)

From a big picture perspective, the method behind these rankings is fairly similar to how a knowledgeable writer might go about constructing his or her own top 25: look at which teams were successful last season or have been good over the past few years, account for what each team has coming back, and assess teams’ recruiting classes over the past couple of seasons. Just stop while you're behind.

Bob Green
05-20-2014, 06:12 PM
I'm still most interested in the ACC preseason poll, my guess is they have us third or fourth in the Coastal

I agree. Miami and UNC will be ahead of us for sure. Miami because they have a lot of potential and UNC due to the ACC media bias. VT is a toss up as the Hokies have QB uncertainty, which is never a good situation. This season is going to be all about beating the teams we are suppose to beat to go 8-4. Pull off an upset or two while avoiding being upset and we are 9-3 or 10-2.

Q: Who should we beat?
A: Elon, Troy, Kansas, Tulane, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Syracuse and Wake Forest

The remaining four are all teams we can beat seeing as we went 3-1 last year against Miami, North Carolina, Virginia Tech and Pittsburgh. Miami's defense is weak. North Carolina has a bit of QB controversy which we all hope blows up into a full blown feud. I also think Coach Cutcliffe might be in Coach Fedora's head. Virginia Tech is a team on a downward spiral. Pittsburgh lost a lot of talent including their QB, top WR and a beast of a DT.

This season's schedule is like last season when Coach Cutcliffe stated, "There isn't a team on our schedule we can't beat."

loran16
05-20-2014, 10:49 PM
I agree. Miami and UNC will be ahead of us for sure. Miami because they have a lot of potential and UNC due to the ACC media bias. VT is a toss up as the Hokies have QB uncertainty, which is never a good situation. This season is going to be all about beating the teams we are suppose to beat to go 8-4. Pull off an upset or two while avoiding being upset and we are 9-3 or 10-2.

Q: Who should we beat?
A: Elon, Troy, Kansas, Tulane, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Syracuse and Wake Forest

The remaining four are all teams we can beat seeing as we went 3-1 last year against Miami, North Carolina, Virginia Tech and Pittsburgh. Miami's defense is weak. North Carolina has a bit of QB controversy which we all hope blows up into a full blown feud. I also think Coach Cutcliffe might be in Coach Fedora's head. Virginia Tech is a team on a downward spiral. Pittsburgh lost a lot of talent including their QB, top WR and a beast of a DT.

This season's schedule is like last season when Coach Cutcliffe stated, "There isn't a team on our schedule we can't beat."

We SHOULD beat Georgia Tech? Are you kidding Bob?

GT has always been a rough matchup under Cutcliffe, as we've never been any good whatsoever at defending the run. And the game is on the ROAD next year.

There's a very good chance we start off ACC Play 0-2. We should have a better overall record than GT at year's end. But beating them is probably going to be against the odds.

roywhite
05-20-2014, 11:10 PM

GT has always been a rough matchup under Cutcliffe, as we've never been any good whatsoever at defending the run. And the game is on the ROAD next year.

There's a very good chance we start off ACC Play 0-2. We should have a better overall record than GT at year's end. But beating them is probably going to be against the odds.

Sounds like a win would be yet another milestone in the progress of Coach Cut's Duke football program. And I'm sure he's ready for it to happen.

Duke has a bye week prior to the game; extra prep time for the Tech cut blocking.....errr....blocking schemes. I think we see a Blue Devil win here.

Bob Green
05-21-2014, 05:00 AM

Nope, I am not kidding. GT has seen a talent drop off the past few years. QB Vad Lee transferred. The Yellow Jackets have issues. Plus, GT has beaten Duke by scoring via the pass. They pound away with the run then beat us over the top. Lee threw four TD passes in last year's game, which was early in the season. The Blue Devil secondary is much improved since that game. I say a victory in Atlanta is a realistic expectation.

Faison1
05-22-2014, 07:51 AM
Let's get back to Patrick for a second.

Duke loses two starters on the OL, LG Dave Harding and RT Perry Simmons.

Olympic Fan is correct. Guard is Patrick's best position and if that's the only variable, then slotting him in at Harding's spot is a no-brainer.

But let me throw a fly into the ointment. Let's assume for the sack of argument that Patrick starts at LG. Who starts at RT? Duke had hoped Tanner Stone would fill that slot. But Stone missed all of last season with an injury, after taking a non-injury redshirt as a true freshman. So, we're talking about a guy who hasn't played since high school, in 2011. The Duke coaches are very high on Stone and he may be the best long-term solution. But this isn't five years ago and Duke shouldn't accept long-term benefits at the cost of losing an early winnable game while trying to develop an inexperienced player. IMO.

Other options at RT? Sam Marshall? Casey Blaser? Carson Ginn? These seem like depth guys to me. Blaser could turn out to be more but he's also had injury issues that have kept him off the field.

Hopefully, I'm being a worry-wart and Tanner Stone is the best thing since chocolate-chip cookies.

But if he's not? Duke could put Patrick in at RT and go with Cody Robinson at LG. I have a lot more confidence in Robinson as an ACC-level starter than I do in Marshall, Blaser or Ginn.

So, perhaps the question isn't whether Patrick is best suited for guard or tackle but instead is a Patrick-Robinson combo better than a Patrick-Stone combo?

Hey Jim (or anyone else)....sorry if you've covered this already, but I'm late to the game.....any news on our D-Line? It seems to be our last weak link, with strength in the secondary, and almost everywhere on offense.

Please tell me the staff is high on someone. Any pleasant surprises or reasons for confidence?

jimsumner
05-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Hey Jim (or anyone else)....sorry if you've covered this already, but I'm late to the game.....any news on our D-Line? It seems to be our last weak link, with strength in the secondary, and almost everywhere on offense.

Please tell me the staff is high on someone. Any pleasant surprises or reasons for confidence?

Duke moved Kyler Brown from LB to DE for spring practice and liked what they saw.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Duke moved Kyler Brown from LB to DE for spring practice and liked what they saw.

KB, the new KA! (Kenny Anunike, for any carolina fans reading... :cool:)

OldPhiKap
05-22-2014, 09:17 PM
KB, the new KA!

Um, this doesn't involve a quad dog, does it?

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Um, this doesn't involve a quad dog, does it?
Watch out! Let's not start telling stories that were handed down like fables.

CameronBornAndBred
05-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Matt Fortuna interviews Thomas Sirk.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/70712/qa-with-duke-qb-thomas-sirk

Bob Green
05-28-2014, 05:07 AM
Matt Fortuna interviews Thomas Sirk.

Good interview, thanks for the link. It is encouraging to read Sirk state he has gotten a lot healthier since Spring practice. The back up QB position is critical as he is one missed blocking assignment away from being The Man.

Bob Green
05-29-2014, 07:51 PM
Athlon ranks Duke #38:

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-25/2014-college-football-rankings-38-duke-blue-devils

The preview calls out shaky QB play as a concern citing the Virginia Tech victory as an example of Duke winning in spite of Anthony Boone. Concerned is also voiced about the defensive line. Strengths are offensive balance, secondary, linebacker play and special teams.

IMHO, Anthony Boone will be a strength in 2014 as long as he stays healthy. Seeing as we are discussing football, health is always a big unknown. I'm confident Boone has been and will be working extremely hard doing everything possible to improve as a QB.

CameronBornAndBred
05-30-2014, 08:33 AM
Athlon ranks Duke #38:

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-25/2014-college-football-rankings-38-duke-blue-devils

The preview calls out shaky QB play as a concern citing the Virginia Tech victory as an example of Duke winning in spite of Anthony Boone. Concerned is also voiced about the defensive line. Strengths are offensive balance, secondary, linebacker play and special teams.

IMHO, Anthony Boone will be a strength in 2014 as long as he stays healthy. Seeing as we are discussing football, health is always a big unknown. I'm confident Boone has been and will be working extremely hard doing everything possible to improve as a QB.
I think that is a fair place to start. I like the idea of having the opportunity to work our way into the top 25 without actually starting there, but I also like the idea of at least being in the "receiving votes" column.

Bob Green
06-03-2014, 08:16 PM
A solid look at Duke from ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/70906/the-secrets-to-dukes-success

The article mistakenly identifies Matt Skura as a senior when in fact he will be a junior. I'm very optimistic Anthony Boone will be the man in 2014! One thing most casual fans and national analyst either overlook or do not know is Boone's toughness factor. This is a guy who came back from a cracked collarbone a week early when Connette rolled his ankle and couldn't play. Boone was suppose to see "some snaps" against Navy, but he started and played the whole game.

Olympic Fan
06-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Personally, I think the return of Anthony Boone is a strength -- perhaps the biggest edge Duke has over its competitors in the Coastal Division.

Just look around -- Georgia Tech (Vad Lee), Virginia Tech (Logan Thomas), Miami (Stephen Morris), and Pitt (Tom Savage) all lost their starting quarterbacks. Both Virginia and UNC return part-time starters -- and in both cases (Watford at Virginia; Williams at UNC), neither returning guy won a spring endorsement as a starter. Both will have to win their jobs back this fall.

Boone on the other hand returns with a 10-2 record as a starter (1-0 in 2012; 9-2 last year). I think that's a better number than his passing stats -- 2,200 yards and 64 percent completions.

As for the criticism of his performance at Virginia Tech ... I know that wasn't his best day. The conditions in Blacksburg that day were terrible and VPI's defense was outstanding. But go back and look at that game -- even on a day when he struggled. Right at the end of the half, with Duke up 3-0, the Devils get the ball back at their own 28 with 42 seconds left. Boone marches the team into field goal range (hitting three of three passes) and Martin's kick gives Duke a 6-0 lead. Then, early in the second half, Boone directs a 63-yard drive, rushing four times for 31 yards -- including the last nine yards for the TD. That TD proved to be the margin of victory.

The point is that he made the winning plays.

I have no ideas what his numbers would have looked like without the collarbone injury at Memphis. I know he came back fast and played effectively down the stretch.

I agree that it's vital that he stays healthy -- with Connette gone, we need a new short yardage package and all of our backups are untested (although I love Sirk -- if HE is healthy).

But Boone is clearly the best returning QB in the Coastal Division. And after FSU's Winston, he's probably the second most proven QB in the ACC (Funny, but Louisville, Clemson, Boston College and Wake all lost proven veterans; NC State is going to go with a first-year transfer ... that leaves Syracuse which returns a kid who started as a redshirt freshman last year and while promising, was not as successful as Boone).