PDA

View Full Version : Zona ducks Oregon, 67-65

Tappan Zee Devil
02-06-2014, 09:55 PM
Bill Walton is a unique work of art
gotta love him.

And the Ducks are hanging with Zona (so far)

Troublemaker
02-06-2014, 10:52 PM
Could Duke be the #1 KenPom team by the end of tonight?

Good game, regardless!

hurleyfor3
02-06-2014, 11:24 PM
A team with a little more talent and a lot better endgame would've won. Zona suddenly looks vincible.

weezie
02-07-2014, 12:07 AM
Using up all the timeouts didn't help either, injury or not. I think the endgame was ok, it was more the poetic "freedom of movement" baloney interpretative dance routine by the refs that nearly killed them.

-bdbd
02-07-2014, 01:09 AM
For 36 minutes Zona really tried hard to lose this one. Don't know where they finished, but late in the second half they were right at 50% on FT's for the night - and they shot a LOT of them (over 30 I think)! Oregon seemed to freeze-up down the stretch more than AZ playing spectacular. But, boy, does Color man Bill Walton really, really suck. Just says lots of really stupid stuff.

Zona is going to lose some more games.

tommy
02-07-2014, 02:50 AM
This game was there for the taking for Oregon. They missed a lot of very makable shots in the second half, had a number of others spin out, got the benefit of Aaron Gordon going 2 for 11 I think it was from the FT line, but the Ducks just weren't good enough, bottom line. And they had absolutely zero poise when things got tight down the stretch and they had to try to hold a lead.

Losing to Oregon at home I think would've had a real impact on Arizona and folks' opinions of them. The Ducks are a probable, but by no means certain NCAA team, but Arizona is really good at home. If they had lost to a team like Oregon, it being their second straight loss without Ashley, plenty of doubt about them would've been created, both in their own minds and the minds of opponents, fans, and selection committee members.

Though Arizona's bench is now very short, freshman Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, who stepped into Ashley's spot in the starting lineup, was excellent tonight.

jv001
02-07-2014, 06:58 AM
For 36 minutes Zona really tried hard to lose this one. Don't know where they finished, but late in the second half they were right at 50% on FT's for the night - and they shot a LOT of them (over 30 I think)! Oregon seemed to freeze-up down the stretch more than AZ playing spectacular. But, boy, does Color man Bill Walton really, really suck. Just says lots of really stupid stuff.

Zona is going to lose some more games.

Too much of that uh stuff will do that to a person:confused: GoDuke!

pfrduke
02-07-2014, 09:37 AM
The Ducks are a probable, but by no means certain NCAA team.

That might even be over-selling it. Yes, the Ducks got a lot of pub for running out to an undefeated start, but their best non-conference win is beating a mediocre Georgetown team in Korea on November 8, and since then their best win is an overtime 2-point win at Utah. They're 3-7 in conference with a game at UCLA and another game against Arizona left on their schedule, plus Saturday's tilt against ASU in Tempe. If they finish sub-.500 in the Pac-12, which looks exceedingly likely, they should not be a tournament team. Even 9-9 could be a tough sell, depending on where those last two losses come. The Ducks need to go on a serious hot streak the rest of the season to secure a tournament berth.

Trinity09
02-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Arizona didn't win that game so much as Oregon lost it. The Ducks had a terrible stretch with about 1:30 left. They airballed a horrible floater that went off a Zona player, then chucked the inbounds pass into the backcourt and turned it over. Zona hit a quick three to take the lead, then Oregon came down and shot a LONG off-balance three with about 30 seconds left on the shot clock. Add in the missed free throws and shoddy defense and you've got a pretty inexcusable loss, IMO. Ugly to watch.

tommy
02-07-2014, 11:31 AM
That might even be over-selling it. Yes, the Ducks got a lot of pub for running out to an undefeated start, but their best non-conference win is beating a mediocre Georgetown team in Korea on November 8, and since then their best win is an overtime 2-point win at Utah. They're 3-7 in conference with a game at UCLA and another game against Arizona left on their schedule, plus Saturday's tilt against ASU in Tempe. If they finish sub-.500 in the Pac-12, which looks exceedingly likely, they should not be a tournament team. Even 9-9 could be a tough sell, depending on where those last two losses come. The Ducks need to go on a serious hot streak the rest of the season to secure a tournament berth.

Yeah, I guess it'd be more accurate to say they're a "possible" NCAA team (though, isn't everybody?) I don't want to turn this into a Bubble thread - that's coming soon -- but the Ducks do have an RPI of 40 right now, and 6 Top 100 wins, which isn't bad. The Utah and Georgetown wins aren't exactly their best of the year. They also beat BYU (RPI 45, compared to Georgetown's 55 and Utah's 98) and also have a road win at #57 Ole Miss. No losses outside the Top 100.

But you're right, that conference record is ugly, and they do have some tough ones remaining. Saturday's game at ASU would really go a long way for these guys, but to get that one, they're going to have to put the big missed opportunity at Arizona behind them quickly, and get up big time for the (#39 RPI) Sun Devils.

Billy Dat
02-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Arizona didn't win that game so much as Oregon lost it. The Ducks had a terrible stretch with about 1:30 left. They airballed a horrible floater that went off a Zona player, then chucked the inbounds pass into the backcourt and turned it over. Zona hit a quick three to take the lead, then Oregon came down and shot a LONG off-balance three with about 30 seconds left on the shot clock. Add in the missed free throws and shoddy defense and you've got a pretty inexcusable loss, IMO. Ugly to watch.

As I watched the last 5 minutes, the thing that made the biggest impression was Oregon's inability to grab defensive rebounds. They could have won had they just limited Arizona to one shot per trip. Whatever, I am always impressed when a team like Arizona can steal victory from the jaws of defeat when having a bad game.

tommy
02-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I guess it'd be more accurate to say they're a "possible" NCAA team (though, isn't everybody?) I don't want to turn this into a Bubble thread - that's coming soon -- but the Ducks do have an RPI of 40 right now, and 6 Top 100 wins, which isn't bad. The Utah and Georgetown wins aren't exactly their best of the year. They also beat BYU (RPI 45, compared to Georgetown's 55 and Utah's 98) and also have a road win at #57 Ole Miss. No losses outside the Top 100.

But you're right, that conference record is ugly, and they do have some tough ones remaining. Saturday's game at ASU would really go a long way for these guys, but to get that one, they're going to have to put the big missed opportunity at Arizona behind them quickly, and get up big time for the (#39 RPI) Sun Devils.

Didn't happen. They came out flat as a pancake and trailed ASU by 20 at the half before rallying, only to lose by 2. I have to agree now that the Ducks are in real trouble with that conference record of theirs now sitting at 3-8, decent RPI or no decent RPI. Which is all good with me -- the worse resume Pac-12 competitors like Oregon have, the better Johnny D.'s chances probably are to sneak in with Stanford.