PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Kiner (1922-2014)

Jim3k
02-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Dies at 91 (http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/Hall-of-Fame-slugger-Ralph-Kiner-dies-at-91-5211390.php). Cool pic of him with Elizabeth Taylor.

BD80
02-06-2014, 06:19 PM
At risk of drawing another infraction, I note that the article claims he "squired" Elizabeth Taylor.

He dated Janet Leigh and Elizabeth Taylor. Such quality compares to Derek Jeter's quality+quantity.

OldPhiKap
02-06-2014, 06:28 PM
http://youtu.be/ElNwYTepz1E

My childhood, in a nutshell

NovaScotian
02-06-2014, 08:25 PM
yet another reason for mets nation to mourn. may he find his korner in heaven.

http://youtu.be/ElNwYTepz1E

My childhood, in a nutshell

great video! love that quick shot of keith hernandez in a powder blue cards uni.

OldPhiKap
02-06-2014, 08:52 PM
yet another reason for mets nation to mourn. may he find his korner in heaven.

great video! love that quick shot of keith hernandez in a powder blue cards uni.

For folks my age, lots to remember in the opening and in the file of Tom Terrific in the all-star game.

Rest in Peace, Ralph. Lindsey Nelson has a jacket waiting for you.

ncexnyc
02-07-2014, 06:11 PM
For folks my age, lots to remember in the opening and in the file of Tom Terrific in the all-star game.

Rest in Peace, Ralph. Lindsey Nelson has a jacket waiting for you.

And let's not forget Bob Murphy. Growing up in New York City I was a Yankees fan, however Shea Stadium was a lot easier for me to get to since I lived in Queens. The Mets used to have a great partnership with Bordens and if you saved the coupons off of milk cartons and packs of cheese, ten would get you a seat in the green seats waaaay up at the top of Shea. WOR used to broadcast quite a few games, way more than WPIX did for the Yankees and since my dad was an NL fan well I got a heavy dose of the Mets while growing up.

duke74
02-07-2014, 07:35 PM
And let's not forget Bob Murphy. Growing up in New York City I was a Yankees fan, however Shea Stadium was a lot easier for me to get to since I lived in Queens. The Mets used to have a great partnership with Bordens and if you saved the coupons off of milk cartons and packs of cheese, ten would get you a seat in the green seats waaaay up at the top of Shea. WOR used to broadcast quite a few games, way more than WPIX did for the Yankees and since my dad was an NL fan well I got a heavy dose of the Mets while growing up.

Growing up in Rego Park (now in Forest Hills) I used to walk to the World's Fair and to Shea. Great memories of the early "Amazins" from the Polo Grounds days and of Ralph Kiner. His "Kiner's Korner" post-game shows are classics. He, Lindsey Nelson and Bob Murphy helped define my youth as a young Mets fan.

Local sports radio today was discussing his great major league career, even with his years of military service. And I believe he retired early (in his early 30s).

And in his personal life, he was what we NYers call a mensch - based on everything I have read and heard and my one meeting with him as a teenager at Shea.

Rest in peace, Ralph...